Sabata: Silberstein & Sons (Samheen 30th TT)

Moderator: Mods

Morg

Post by Morg »

Jezira had been aboard the ship for four days and four nights. The hold was dark and cramped, and neither her captors nor her fellow captives seemed inclined to talk. The prisoners, chained in rows along the side of the hold, were a subdued bunch, with a variety of appearances. Jezira was one of only three Amunic natives among them. Some were massive, scarred men whose value looked to be in physical strength or combat prowess; some, male and female, were young and delicate, there more for their aesthetic value; and the value of others was uncertain. But one thing was clear: this was a slave ship. Jezira's captors had picked every one of the ship's cargo because of some quality they possessed which would allow them to fetch a good price.

Contact between captors and captives was minimal. Each day a hunchbacked man would come to provide them with food and water and remove the pots provided for excrement. At that time the door to the deck was left open, and snippets of conversation drifted down. This was mostly indecipherable, but "Sabata" and "making good time" could be heard several times.

On the fourth day, the ship docked and the captives were led ashore. Although the climate - hot and dry - was similar to that of her native Amun Rah, the sight of the city that awaited her was very alien. The sea breeze carried the scent of unknown spices, wafting over from the cluster of enormous domes upon the spur of rock above the harbour. The domes were tent-like in appearance, with spikes protruding from every surface, giving the city a threatening, unwelcoming appearance.

Jezira was not led to the city proper, though. Instead the chain of captives was directed to a courtyard off to one side, in earthy toned contrast to the great white domes of Sabata. Here a variety of cargo was resting: crates of goats, chickens, bales of cotton and barrels of wine...

The slaves were led to the southern end of the courtyard, to a stone building bearing the sign "Offices of Silberstein & Sons, ASA (authorized slave auctioneer)". It was clear that this was the end of her journey, for now at least. Outside the building, human live-stock was on display, prize specimens shackled in pairs to sturdy thick chains looped though great iron eyelets mounted directly into the building's foundations.

Within the building, a short, broad man greeted the slavers - "Just in time for the auction!" - and inspected the captives one by one. Jezira was led to a blank-walled room with a tub of scalding hot water and some rough soap and told, in a thick accent unfamiliar to her ears, to make herself look presentable. Not waiting for her response, the man left the room, slamming the door behind him - and for the first time in days, Jezira was left alone with her thoughts.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Post by Guest »

The shock of being abducted not only from the Barsanke household, where the people were very nice to her, but from Amun Rah itself, which was until then 'the world' for her, lessened in the four days she had been aboard. She knows why the other slaves weren't inclined to talk, being a slave herself she knew that a slave couldn't afford to have something like a 'good friend' or even a 'lover' as the merest whim of a Master may pull slaves apart every instant. Nevertheless she curiously looked at all those people from other parts of the world, being from Amun Rah she hasn't seen so many foreign people in her young life.

The fact that she was abducted and will be surely sold on a slave auction to a complete stranger doesn't seemed to bother her, as every slave very early learned to accept, what he or she cannot change. It wasn't about being happy or being sad, but an overwhelming fatalism, a deep acceptance, that as the High Ones decided who will be successful in life, it just wasn't her day and that her only chance in life will be, not to offend the High Ones any further.

"Sabata" and "making good time" it echoed still in her mind as she watched in awe the cityscape unfolding more and more as the ship moved closer and closer. Her heart beats faster as she feels so helpless so insecure, `what will wait for me there ?` she thinks to herself as a shiver runs down her spine.

Taking in the unfamiliar sights she moved with the chain of slaves until she read the sign, but fearfully hid the fact that she was able to read as the ability to read can be dangerous to a slaves life at times.

Having seen many inspections in her slave life, Jezira follows the procedure obediently, then as she was led to the blank-walled room, she began to disrobe, her clothes slid down to the floor along her smooth curves, baring her hairless sex and the small of her back with the mark of the branding iron on the right side. With a soft sigh she entered the tub with the warm water and enjoyed the first bath since four days.

Jezira cleaned herself very well as she herself was feeling better that way too, then she dried herself and tried to make her clothes a bit more presentable too. Finally waiting for a guard, the inactivity again was letting her fears rise anew.
Morg

Post by Morg »

It was not long before the slavers returned for her, although long enough for Jezira to have a few burns of idleness after finishing her routine. The metal shackles were reapplied, although gently, almost respectfully. All in all, the Amunic girl was now being handled in a manner befitting her future role as a valuable commodity. After being eyed thoughtfully, Jezira was not led to the display pens outside the building. Instead she was taken a short distance to a long, tiled hall with a vaulted roof and stalls along the long sides. Into one of these stalls she was led, her shackles bound to a long and sturdy chain which gave her some considerable freedom of movement. The other inhabitants of the hall were mostly female, attractive specimens, although they were accompanied by a few old and slight males, men most likely valued for their mental rather than physical qualities. This was clearly the hall reserved for rare and delicate livestock, rather than the common selection displayed outside, who were those good for little except household or menial work.

"Be on your best behaviour," the short man advised Jezira before departing. "The auction will be in a few marks." Along the back of the stall, where her long chain was attached to a heavy eyelet, there was a long bench, and the tiled floor was clean and cool.

In Jezira's position, she could hardly have known of Sabata and the young city's strange customs, which was for the best. In contrast to Amun Rah, where slaves were often valued as people by their employers and were allowed many and considerable freedoms, the slave owners of Terra Incognita rarely treated their possessions as anything other than simple, expendable machinery, tools to be used intensively and then cast aside when too broken to be of further use. The relatively lawless city was one of the most terrible places in the whole of Tazlure to be a slave.

For a while, the hall was empty except for the slaves, who mostly remained silent. It was only after perhaps twenty burns that the door at the end was reopened and a handful of people was admitted. The structure of the group was clear from the outset. Four of the men were a simple entourage to the fifth, who was by far the most richly appointed of all of them as well as being the tallest. The four shorter, thuggish-looking men in crude armour wore expressions of boredom alternating with leers at Jezira and her fellow female slaves. Most bored of all, however, was clearly the tall man. Swarthy and dark-haired with an aristocratic bearing, his sharp eyes swept cursorily over the slaves in the room, who were evidently of limited interest to him. It seemed that there were many places he would rather be.

The sixth and final figure of the group was the only one taking an active interest in the slaves. Strangely for a place with such a warm climate, she was clad in a full length cloak with a hood that obscured the details of her face. The garment did not conceal the arrogantly feminine grace with which she walked. When she reached Jezira she stopped, brushing aside a fold of her hood to view her more clearly and revealing a glimpse of white teeth against a backdrop of dark skin. "This could be the one, Councilor," she said softly to the tall man.

The Councilor shrugged and responded with a noncommittal "Hm".

At this the woman laughed abruptly before turning to face Jezira once again. "Tell me, precious," she said in a dusky voice. "You have the look of Amun Rah about you... am I right? Is that where you hail from?"
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution

Post by Guest »

As the door suddenly opened, Jezira has been waiting for an eternity - or so it seemed to her, but she was nevertheless startled and almost jumped as she saw the slavers enter. As so many times before in her life she lowered her gaze obediently. She saw the metal shackles in their hands and then felt the cool metal on her warm skin, but noticed how well she was treated by them and risked a grateful but shy smile as they led her out.
After being eyed and enduring it submissively, she moves with the slavers to a building with stalls , where she was shackled into one. A casual look told her quickly, that in a certain way she had been lucky, because she was amongst the rare and valuable slaves and as she learned a long time ago :
`the higher the value of a slave, the longer she lives to see another day`
Again she had to wait and Jezira, although calm on the outside, tried to keep her composure deep inside.
As a group of people entered, Jezira kept an unconspicuous but watchful gaze on them soon discerning that typical aristocratic boredom, a boredom she had learned to fear, as far too many slaves paid with their health or even their lives for an aristocrats diversion. Then one of the figures seemed to develop an interest for her and approached, but ...
then she noticed the dark skin under the cowl !
She overheard the words the woman under the cloak exchanged with the leader of the group, which she called `councilor`, then as the woman turned back to her, Jezira lowered her gaze immediately respectfully and answered obediently : "Yes Mistress, I grew up in Amun Rah."
But she knew, that her appearance hinted to the fact that her parents were not from Amun Rah.
Morg

Post by Morg »

The dark-skinned woman nodded indulgently. "Yes, you'll do," she murmured. "You have the bearing of one who was brought up in my homeland, although... such beautiful hair..." She sighed, and a proud hand swung down to catch Jezira's jaw, raising her chin so that the slave's gaze would be brought back in line with hers. "Some of what you've learned you will have to unlearn for me. I seek more than simple submission from a companion..."

Her next command was one that Jezira might possibly never have heard before, at least not in relation to her. "So tell me... about yourself."

In the meantime, the tall man was audible in the background, speaking to the stocky slaver who'd brought her in. "How much for her?"

The shorter man frowned. "I'm sorry, Councilor, but you will have to wait until the auction. We can't afford to set a precedent, even for one of your standing."

The Councilor sniffed. "More money into Bock's pockets," he remarked to no one in particular.

Post by Guest »

Jezira listens silently to what the dark-skinned woman is telling her, knowing that most slave owners don't want to hear their slave but want the slave to listen to them. Nodding obediently as she overhears that she will have to unlearn things, thinking to herself that every owner is different and that she has to unlearn every time she is sold.
The next words, the second question into her direction finds her fully surprised and speechless for a moment : She is to tell about HERSELF !
I, ME and MYSELF were so long ago disciplined out of her head that she now has problems to even answer, her mind desperately trying to find something she can tell and that a free person wont find boring or annoying.
Her voice trembling a bit as she answers a bit unsure : "I am slave ... I was a slave as long as I can remember ... I've learned to dance, to tell an entertaining tale and some acrobatics ... I can as well manage a household and surround my owner with comfort ..." she then lets the sentence trail off ... instinctively adjusting her posture as she still feels the hand at her jaw.
Morg

Post by Morg »

The dark-skinned woman released her hold on Jezira's chin, smiling sardonically. "A name would be nice... do you have a name?" She sighed. "I'll be honest with you... I'm looking for a person as much as anything else. Of course, you'd still be a slave when I wanted you to be. I still get to make the rules." She turned to the councilor. "Yes, she'll do. We may need to teach her a little of how to be human again... but she'll do."

The tall man nodded, observing Jezira properly for the first time through cold eyes. "Yes... she'll do. And you're sure we have to go through the charade of an auction? You won't simply sell?" he asked the slaver.

There was a gleam of avarice in the man's eyes as he replied. "As I said, Councilor Ramessu, we can't afford to set a precedent... the forms must be observed. But she will be yours in half a mark or so."

"I can't wait," Neus purred. "Goodbye, darling," she shot at Jezira as the councilor and his entourage departed the hall.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

(OOC: This thread seems open to join, annnd I'm looking to meet the people of Sabatha that can actually afford slaves.)

Jadmai was tired, incredibly tired. Not physically, not by any stretch of the imagination, he was tired of this whole damn process of meeting the ones that matter in Sabatha. Getting to know the people, Jadmai was sure, would pay off in time, but he needed to meet teh well-to-do, and the important. A councilmen or woman would be ideal (he had yet to the Citadel woman), but the whole process was just tiresome. In Jadmai's previous life, or lives, things were much easier. Business was done in the fraction of the flicker that it took to draw his blades. That had changed now, and now Jadmai was realizing that if he wanted to be part of this society, he would have to an active role.

Only leaving a note for Rabiah to tell him where he would be in case the embassy would need him, Jadmai struck out to the great slave traders of Sabatha, Siberstein & Sons--at least that is how Roland referred to them.

The dark adhiel made his way to the offices, he glanced briefly at the merchandise, but took no real interest, he was more worried about the background of anyone he might buy,

Though Jadmai had grown used to the heat in his time and in Amun Rah, and this blasted land, the light still pierced his maladjusted eyes, so the hood of his cloak was drawn upon his head, until he reached the offices. When he finally reached the office door, he slowly lowered the cloak and his head shook back in forth, mostly of it's own accord.

The lithe ambassador then looked around, eyes now adjusted, for a page or at least someone in charge.

"There are auctions today, yes? Everyday?" He asked, not caring the question exposed his inexperience to these matters. "I wonder if anyone could tell me, are they're any slaves from Amun Rah here?" He hoped the niece he looked for wasn't one of them. "There is a good slave culture there, I would be most interested in those. Also..." and at this Jadmai leaned in, "do any members of the council attend these auctions? I vaule the information and any seating arrangements that could be made." He said giving a ostentatious pat to his fat purse.
Last edited by Jadmai on Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...war is the last flower on the evil tree."-- Betrand Russel

Post by Guest »

(OOC: Hello Jadmai :) ... I have nothing against you joining, but lets hear what Morgan says ? ...*lookingtoMorgan*)

Jezira heard so much from that woman, so much that she never heard from an owner she served before. Being a bit confused she just listened without a word, then softly answered a bit hesitantly "I was called Jezira before."

She felt the cold eyes from the tall man, but was much more accustomed to that, then to that what the mysterious woman expected from her. Than she heard his verdict, but didn't showed a reaction as her training taught her.

She noticed the dark skinned woman as she left, she even lifted her gaze as it curiously followed the strange woman and the man she served, answering softly "goodbye Mistress" and not being sure if that was right or wrong.
Morg

Post by Morg »

(OOC: No problem, go right ahead! The more the merrier)

A gaunt fellow with spectacles perched upon a narrow nose looked up suspiciously from his ledger as Jadmai entered. Because of its sweltering climate, Sabata knew little of adhiel, and the rare few dark adhiel the man had seen before had always been on the... other side of the business. Still, money was a universal voicebox lubricant, and the sight of Jadmai's bulging purse decided the matter.

"Auctions are on Lyrdays and Wanedays, sir, so you're in luck," he replied in a reedy voice. "Today's will be held in the pavilion, out on the water, in half a mark's time. And I believe that a few councilors will be in attendance, although..." He fixed his eyes pointedly on the purse in a bored, professional manner. "I seem to have forgotten which ones, and where they will be sitting." The presence of a burly man by the back door watching the proceedings without interest seemed to indicate that the bribe would be inevitable if Jadmai wished to obtain the information he sought.

"As for Amunic slaves, we currently have three in the establishment. Two male, and one female. I am sure that you could be shown to them, should you so desire, sir."

[hr][/hr]
Meanwhile, Jezira was left alone with her thoughts... and with the other slaves. No sooner had the group departed than a voice spoke up, coming from an emaciated woman on the other side of the hall. She was incredibly slim and fine-featured, but was either old or aged beyond her years, as her mousey hair was streaked with white.

"So you're to be his," she spoke, softly but loud enough to be heard across the room, in a definite breach of Amunic slave etiquette. "He could be your ticket to the top... or your quickest route to destruction. Do you know who that man is, Jezira?"
Last edited by Morg on Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Jezira's gaze lowered as she began to evaluate her situation, but then she heard that voice, very distinctive, very clear. The breach of Amunic slave etiquette no longer important to her as her surprise about such things was still with those people before.

Jezira listened to her words memorized them and then just shook her head, not trying to hide the obvious, that she didn't knew a thing about that foreign land.

"No, I don't know him ..."

she answered and curiously looked at the woman.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

The ambassador nodded, half in recognition of the said information and the implied, "My lucky day indeed. An auction and council memebers present. I should hope my luck continues and I should actually get to find myself near one...wonder what my chances of that are."

During his ponderings Jadmai had slipped his hand into his purse, and palmed an entire crown and a half.

"I should really hope to actually meet one," he said and placed the crown on the ledger that sat before the man. Now, that would be luck."

He smiled earnestly at the man, "And I also wonder if I could see the female Amunic slave," he placed half crown next to the full one, "in private. If by some happenstance that could be arranged."
Morg

Post by Morg »

It was a testament to the gaunt man's professionalism that his eyes didn't boggle at the sight of the small fortune on the table in front of him. His fingers virtually raced across the table to pick up the bribe, though, and he spared Jadmai the formality of pretending that he was genuinely trying to remember the councilors' names.

"Three councilors will be in attendance, sir," the man informed him quietly. "Councilor Bock, Councilor Moetzl, and Councilor Ramessu. I will detail Bourdon to ensure that you receive appropriate seating arrangements." He gestured to the bulky man by the wall, who nodded in consent. The man, Western in origin by his name and appearance, was not enormously tall, topping out at around six feet, but his massive build more than made up for this.

"And as to seeing the slave, that should prove no problem, although, you may have to be brief as there is little time until the auction." The gaunt man at the desk scribbled something down on a piece of parchment and handed it to Bourdon. "Give this to Teriat and he will know what to do." The silent Bourdon nodded once again, and made a gesture to Jadmai to follow him as he left through the back door of the room.

(OOC: Again assuming a little following to move things along)

[hr][/hr]

The mousey-haired woman shook her head sadly at Jezira's admittal that she didn't know who he was. "He's the nearest thing to a king in this city," she pronounced sibilantly. "First Councilor Ramessu. You would do well to..."

The slave lapsed into silence as the doorway to the hall was once again opened, and the stocky slaver burst in, moving at speed. He headed straight for Jezira, and for an instant he appeared as if he were going to strike her, but instead, when he reached her, he merely unlocked the shackles fixing her to the wall and dragged her roughly away. She was led to the same room in which she had taken her bath, and there she was awaited by a substantial human and an adhiel black as night: Jadmai.

The stocky slaver, Teriat, and Bourdon exchanged glances and left the two alone in the room. Evidently neither judged Jezira to be a physical threat. "We'll be outside," Teriat informed Jadmai before closing the wooden door behind him and leaving the two alone.

The room they were in was featureless apart from the door and an empty metal bathtub, now turned upside down to provide a makeshift seat. Evidently requests such as Jadmai's for a one-to-one with a slave were uncommon at Silberstein's establishment.

Post by Guest »

As she listened intently to the woman as knowing more about her new "home" can't be wrong, Jezira was surprised as the door opens suddenly and the stocky slaver moved fast into her direction her eyes widening fearfully as he did, but she knew better then to show any sign of resistance as lifting her arm, even if it would be only for her own protection, would only bring her severe repercussions.
The shackles were unlocked and she submissively followed the rough pull of the slaver and she recognized the way to the room where she had taken the bath. Then her eyes opened wide again and she froze for an instant, seeing that black man as she had been made to enter the room and remembered that woman before which had also dark skin.
Jeziras gaze lowered submissively as she calmed down, knowing there was nothing she could do except waiting for what the black man plans to do to her.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

He was rather stoic for a few flickers as he gazed at the slave girl. Then he let a quick sigh of relief escape from him, and gave the girl a more friendly sidelong glance.

Damn. No, this is good. She would have been to expensive to buy anyways.

Jadmai then took a bit of the girls hair into his hands, and felt the ends, then he waved the locks in front of his face to get a sense of what level of care she was recieving before she got here.

"Sorry," he said softly, "I am looking for someone who has been treated a little better. No offense, that isn't your fault." He finished with his palms outspread apologeticly.

The dark adhiel stepped back, and crossed his arms, "Don't worry, I know the way of slaves...a little to well, to put it one way. I know the way of slaves in Gulanadur and Amun Rah. A little better in Gulanadur. I wasn't a very good slave, obviously. But I know the way...I know they talk." Jadmai said with a shrug.

"I was going to marry a slave girl, just a couple of days ago. A good friend of mines slave, a compainion type, so she had excellent speaking skills. Do you speak? Or are more the labor type?"

Post by Guest »

Although she was very nervous, her training helped her to keep that feeling from being obvious to those around her.

So often did they looked at me that way, but it still feels uncomfortable. Will I ever get used to it ?

Jezira noticed how the black man inspected her hair and she turned her palms toward him slowly, as she knew that most people who inspected her before wanted to see them to control to what kind of labour she had been put before.

Jezira heard the words he spoke to her, but she wasn't sure if she understood the meaning of them correctly.

treated better ? ... not my fault ? ... seems better to keep listening

Jezira listened and her disbelief grew

the black man was a slave ?

Jezira heard about the slave girl the black man wanted to marry and than the question to her if she spoke and so she answered :

"Yes Master, I speak if you like me to do so ? ... No Master, I am not so much the labour type"

somewhat she opened up, even showed a shy smile.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

Jadmai nodded as the few words came from the slave girls lips, "Yes there you go, I know you could. And, yes, I would very much like you to speak, but we haven't much time, so we will have to converse quickly."

Jadmai ran his fingers through his hair, trying to figure out to ask what to ask the girl, now that he had paid an entire crown and then some on the chance she would be the one he was seeking. It was a chance, and Jadmai considered it worth it.

"So," the dark adhiel started and then paused, as he actually thought of a question, "...oh, by the way you can just call me, friend...not master please. I won't be your master, so you do not need address as so. Friend, will do nicely."

"Yes, well, friend, what is the talk amongst slaves today? Has there be many visitors among you? There are several powerful people here today, that would improve your chance greatly of going somewhere that will treat well."

Jadmai leaned his lithe body against the door, and raised his eyebrows. Both his stance and his facial expressions were meant to the slave girl speak her mind, if she would.

"I can tell you who is here, if you would like."

He knew that would be a tough question to answer, Amunic slaves are a well disciplined bunch. It was like asking a dog if he would like to fetch...but if one thew the stick.

Jadmai shrugged in mock indifference, and gave a small half smile to the girl.

Post by Guest »

Jezira smiled a bit more as she listened, nodding to the black mans words. Then she nodded again then answered :

"yes Ma... friend " and she smiled even more.

"First Councilor Ramessu and his entourage came and inspected us, a woman was with them who looked ... very much like you do ... friend"

Jezira still had to get used to the new way to address the man before her, nervously she adjusted the way she stood before him, her gaze now and then rising and meeting his gaze, then hearing his words she fell silent for an instant, then answered curiously :

"Oh please, do tell ... friend ?"
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

"She looked very much like me?" Jadmai repeated. "You mean she had almost black skin, and pointy ears like mine."

The dark adhiel only could think of one female dark adhiel that he spent a little time with, and that was the warrior woman of the Oasis, but she was of no consequence in these affairs.

Jadmai quirked an eyebrow, "Or did she just have dark skin like those that dwell in the desert--a very dark tan color?" Jadmai was going to leave it at that, but then he took a moment for himself and thought out what he heard.

The chances of Neus being a slave were small. Ionis didn't make this sound like a rescue mission, in fact the tone of the letter was not exactly friendly...she's an accused spy. Accused.

It's not likely that the first councilor has a dark adhiel in entourage, even though Ionis had Jadmai, Jadmai liked to think he was the exception of the rule. The woman almost had to be a person of the sands...but which desert land?

"One last thing before I tell you who is here today: Do you know the difference Amunic accents and the ones found here? If so, could you tell the dark ladies' accent?""

Jadmai waited for the answer, then told the slave girl, of the important people in attendace today, "Councilor Bock, Councilor Moetzl, and of course, Councilor Ramessu the most powerful man in Sabatha. You would do well to go to him as long as you stayed in line."

Jadmai scratched his chin, "And another thing; I think it's best if we keep our coversation to ourselves. We have confided as friends, who have shared some of the same experiences. I hope I have your trust on that, I would hate to order you to do so, it's not something I like to do. But, I think it would best," the dark adhiel paused, "for the both of us." He finished flatly.

Post by Guest »

Jezira didn't wanted to tell something "wrong" to someone who wished to be called a friend, but then answered :
"the light wasn't that good and I only had a quick glimpse ... the high one could be as well from the desert people ?"
Which in Amun Rah wasn't a good thing as the desert people were widely feared by "her" people.
"No ... friend, my contact to the desert people was very limited"
The last thing the black man said caused her features momentarily to freeze as she felt offended somehow thinking only to herself
'I may be only a slave, but I am no traitor, traitors are despised even amongst slaves and those who feel they have to betray someone should take care as they are much more often victims of an "accident" '
Quickly she regains her composure and nods with a smile :
"Yes friend"
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

Jadmai tilted his head slightly as the girls words seemed less confident, finally he shook his head dismissively, doing away with his own thoughts.

"I understand," the dark adhiel said, "the lighting in here is quite dark, I suppose rather dark if you are not used to it. It is quite alright though, you were of more help than I thought you would be. I am quite happy I stumbled upon you, friend, it is always great to meet someone new. Perhaps I will see you again? You will have a whole new life then won't you."

Jadmai smiled at her broadly, and gave a small nod to the slave. "Until our paths cross again, and we meet as strangers." He then turned on his heel and left from which he came.

Post by Guest »

Jezira nodded with a smile as the black man mentioned that she was much more a help than he imagined,
then as he finished speaking she answered :

"It was an honor meeting you, friend and I hope to meet you again too"
she pauses for a moment then continues :
"...I pray that the gods 'll look favorably on me, friend"

Jeziras smile became a bit unsure then she softly adds:

"I wish you well, friend"
Morg

Post by Morg »

As Jadmai left the room, Teriat virtually leapt past him and into it, not leaving enough time for the door to even swing shut. Jezira was presented with a lighter set of shackles, still metal and likely unbreakable but less of a chore to carry as well as less visually obtrusive. Her role was now that of a showpiece, a rare work of art from a foreign land.

Bourdon, for his part, made a "Shall we?" gesture to his new temporary "master", indicating that they should go back out of the building the way they came. The slavers were evidently keen to get the show on the road. If Jadmai followed, the bulky mute would lead him out of the Silberstein building and onto the wharf, where people were beginning to gather in anticipation of the auction.

The centre of their attention was a floating pavilion just off the harbour wall. In area it measured about the same as the squat stone building where the slaves and offices were housed. The pavilion appeared to be constructed almost entirely of wood - an expensive proposition in Sabata, given that the nearest trees were several days' ride away and little use for construction. Tall poles rose from each corner and along the edges, supporting a light framework covered in white canvas which provided some shade for those participating in the auction. The sides of the pavilion were currently open to the air, mostly for the benefit of the eager spectators gathered along the wharfside.

The crowd parted before Bourdon, and he led Jadmai to one of two bridges spanning the short stretch of water between the pavilion and solid ground. Guarding the bridge was a man of similar size, build and disposition to Bourdon, who glanced curiously at Jadmai as he passed but did not otherwise react.

At the seaward end of the pavilion was a raised stage, upon which a row of slaves were chained. It was here that Jezira was led, shunted across another bridge over the still blue waters. Her shackles were looped through an eyelet at the back of the stage along with the other slaves. Those on sale here were clearly the most valuable of Silberstein's "catches". Along with the slim, mousey-haired woman who had spoken to Jezira earlier, there was an adhiel female, a petite but long-limbed creature who was sweating profusely and in obvious discomfort in the sweltering heat of tradetide. A round-shouldered man whose eyes seemed bereft of any hope whatsoever was chained on Jezira's left.

In front of the stage were seats for about fifty, although less than half of these were currently occupied. Bourdon led Jadmai to a place on the very front row, which was still mostly unoccupied. On the far left of the row stood a tall, swarthy, aristocratic-looking man, wearing a simple white tunic that was richly decorated with embroidered dragons in a variety of colours. He was chatting, in a leisurely fashion, to a much younger, shorter woman, dark-haired but with bright blue eyes. This woman was far more heavily dressed, in a full silken dress in a blue that matched her eyes with a simple white mantle over her shoulders. Despite her attire she seemed unaffected by the heat.

At the other end of the row was a human of average height with a mop of straw-blonde hair. He too was richly dressed, but his doublet and leggings seemed to be draped rather carelessly over his corpulent form. A servant stood by him, holding a bowl of sugared treats, from which the fat man occasionally plucked one and chewed slowly.

Nearest to Jadmai, between the dark adhiel and the fat man, was a man who was already seated. This man had thinning grey hair and was very plainly dressed, and nodded to Bourdon in acknowledgement as the mute approached.

Post by Guest »

As she noticed the shackles, Jezira presented her wrists while she lowered her gaze, feeling the cold metal on her skin.
Curiously but unobtrusively she lets her gaze wander around the whole floating construction until her shackles were fixed to the eyelet at the back of her stage as she notices the other slaves but stayed silent, knowing that the moment right before the auction was a tough time for all the slaves, a time when most of them preferred to prepare for the inevitable.
For a moment she thought back to the merchant barsanke whos property she was for such a short time, shaking her head as she remembered what sudden twists her young life took already. A fearful tremble runs along her form as she imagined what may happen to her.
Morg

Post by Morg »

(OOC: Apologies for the delay; was waiting for Jadmai, but we'll push on without him for now)

It was not long before the auction began. The first slave to be unchained and led forward was the round-shouldered man. Teriat and another guard placed him next to the central podium, where a man in bright robes was talking at bewildering speed.

"And what we have here folks is a poet and woodcarver from the tropical land of Kislovan! Work once praised by the Altaroien herself, yes that's right by royal appointment, this young fellow is a perfect addition to any household..." He blathered on for a while before suddenly, unexpectedly, launching into a string of numbers. At this, several members of the audience stood, raising a small white stick they held in their left hands.

"Do I hear two, two and two, two and three from the lady in the veil, three! Three from the man in grey, red-beard man bids three and one, getting heated now, is that three and two? No... yes... veil lady three and two... and three... four, do I hear four for this exceptional specimen, a round four crowns, no? going three and three... three and three going... SOLD! to the man in grey!" The round-shouldered slave was guided off the stage and back across the bridge to a temporary holding area for new purchases.

Four further slaves were auctioned in this manner, although not for quite as much. Sixth to the fore was the mousey-haired woman, and this was the first time the process did not seem to work. The auctioneer was unable to raise any bids at all, and after a while simply wound down, finishing with a showmanlike "Well, it's your loss, folks." The slim woman was led off the stage, but was taken back into the main building instead of to the holding area.

A man, a great hulking beast of a man, was next, and the auctioneer made a great deal of his exploits and his endurance. The audience of buyers seemed to warm to this, and bids rose once again, the massive man eventually going for the reasonable price of four and a half crowns. Once another three slaves had followed, Jezira was left alone at the back of the platform with the shapely adhiel woman. As yet, none of the people on the front row, who seemed to be the most wealthy, had even placed a bid. Then Jezira was taken forward.

"Ladies and gentlemen, do I have a treat for you!" the auctioneer crowed. "This porcelain beauty is from the sunset land of Amun Rah, where slaves know their place and their masters... and you're in luck, because she's a singer, dancer, storyteller and companion! Fear not, though, she also knows how to wash your clothes and look after your home... she's practical, versatile and ornamental! Now we'll start the bidding..." The auctioneer's little spiel for her had been noticeably shorter than any others so far. "At three! Three, a bargain at three!"

Several members of the audience leapt to their feet, waving their sticks... and all but one of them promptly sat down again when they realised who that last one was. It was the man who had been introduced to Jezira earlier, the tall, swarthy, richly dressed man at the far left of the front row - and who she now knew to be First Councilor Ramessu, the most powerful man in Sabata.

The auctioneer continued smoothly. "We have three, ladies and gentlemen, do I spy four? Four from redbeard here? No..." The redbearded man was shaking his head emphatically. "Four... surely someone would pay four to sweep this gorgeous young lady off her feet?" A hint of desperation crept into the auctioneer's voice, as well as a hint of resignation.

Then another man stood up. It was the bulky, straw-haired man at the other end of the front row, and he waved his bidding stick absently. "FOUR," called the auctioneer, "five? offering five here? Five!" Ramessu had raised his stick again after darting a sharp look at the bulky man, who seemed unconcerned and raised his own stick in a leisurely manner after a flicker. "Six! Seven?" Ramessu's hand shot up. "Seven from the... Nine, and we - Ni- Twelve! I see twelve!"

The two men's sticks were being raised at a breakneck pace. But while Ramessu's movements were powerful and insistent, the fat man's were barely visible, and he did not seem even to be fully concentrating on what he was doing. "Fifteen, come on now, fifteen!" the auctioneer virtually shrieked, and Ramessu glowered at the straw-haired man. For the first time, this man seemed to show a lack of composure, glancing away to one side, then he slowly raised his arm high. "No, well... ah! Fifteen from the rotund fellow, I see! Now sir..." The auctioneer addressed Ramessu. "You're not going to let him get away with this, are you? How about eighteen, eighteen seem reasonable?"

Ramessu's face darkened, and he looked fit to burst, but now he spoke, his voice carrying marvellously over the auctioneer's exhortations despite his teeth being clenched as the word came out: "Twenty."

A gasp rose from the crowd assembled on the wharf, followed by a cacophony of low voices. The fat man slowly lowered his hand and sat back down. No disappointment showed on his features, though: just an immensely satisfied smile.

Even the auctioneer was stunned into silence for a few flickers, then he sprang into action again. "That's twenty crowns, ladies and gentlemen, twenty crowns, says the tall fellow. Any advance on twenty. No... Well, in that case, SOLD!" The auctioneer slammed his hammer down, and the crowd's mumblings intensified. "To the tall fellow, for twenty crowns."

Jezira was led away down the stairs. Behind her the auctioneer started up once more. "This one's from the woodland realm of T'aquar, folks, and as pure as the verdant plains..." But few, even among the potential buyers, were paying full attention. Something serious had just happened, even if no one had much idea what or why.

Return to “The Sands Archive”