Returing to the Crying Dragon: Searching for Taymar 29th TT

Moderator: Mods

Jadmai
Civus

Returing to the Crying Dragon: Searching for Taymar 29th TT

Post by Jadmai »

Jadmai left his room at his newly founding embassy direcly behind his spymistrees. He gave a quick glance over his clerks to see if any would seek him out--he was mostly looking for news on his arrangement to meet the Councilwoman Akake. He doubted anything else was important enough to stop his current trek.

Jadmai then made his way to the street, even though the desert beat upon his darken skin he still, in habit from years of homelessness in Gulanadur dealing with that odd slight breeze it owns, pulled his cloak close around him whenever he left the outdoors. Part of him also knew he was concealing the six blades (an arsenal in his mind) he always carried with him. He wasn't afraid of the attention that him being armed would draw, he was more weary of the fact that the blades themselves were worthy of a king.

No, real goverment here to speak of... A lawless land with exiles--ruffians or conmen--only difference in them is strong backs or strong minds. Always seems someone has an angle here.

The dark adhiel was going to meet someone of the Ionis' own recommendation, but he still felt that way of Taymar, Ionis had left traces tot hat idea in his letter outlining Jadmai's mission.

He entered The Crying Dragon for his second time. It was just a matter of tides from when Jadmai was in here and saved a man's life...he also killed a man in that process, but the inns patrons' didn't react, nor did Gharibu. It entered the little diplomat's mind that if it was alright with Gharibu, the man that seemed to be the inn's enforcer. then it was alright with The Crying Dragon.

Perhaps that is life here? Hmm...well, that's fine. I've been spoiled to much in Amun Rah.

Still, Jadmai was far from sure on well he would be recieved by the patrons of the establishment. Thus, as he entered he made his way to the bar, hoping to find Gharibu, but whatever service he could find he would take.

"I would like to buy a drink," Jadmai said as he sat down and reached into his cloak for his pipe sticking it between his teeth, "for everyone."

The dark one was hoping this would soften up the crowd and Taymar--after all he did paint the place with blood yesterday.

"I would also like to know if Taymar is in, or if not, his associate, Gharibu."
"...war is the last flower on the evil tree."-- Betrand Russel
Morg

Post by Morg »

The Crying Dragon wrote:Across the top of the dome is the gleaming white skeleton of a dragon. Held in place by spikes through its ribs, it still appears majestic and fearful, even long after its death. From its eye sockets, down its skull, running down the dome to either side of the door, are two black trails.

Inside is a large common room, well lit by lanterns that hang from the ceiling. On the far side of the common area, directly across from the door, stands a well stocked bar and a bartender with deep brown skin and golden hoops through his ears. To the right is a stairwell leading up above the guest’s rooms, and to the left stands a small stage, currently standing empty.

In between it all lies the inhabitants of the tavern. Scattered about on tables and chairs, men and women drink, eat and converse in the early tradetide hours. The group is small but diverse, more foreigners can be seen than natives of Terra Incognita.

The earringed bartender grinned in greeting, then let his jaw hang slack as Jadmai ordered. Not all the patrons heard the dark adhiel's offer, but it was soon relayed across the room as a tall Sabatan seated at the bar stood up and yelled. "Hey, this one's buying a round for the house!"

The quiet establishment became noticeably noisier as patrons headed to the bar to make good on the offer. Jadmai was served first, a mug of dark ale placed on the bar in front of him. The increased activity also served to attract the attention of Gharibu. The big man emerged from a pair of slender doors painted with intricate designs, quickly making his way straight to Jadmai. Again he greeted him with a simple nod and his trademark, a disarmingly warm smile. "Your Excellency," he murmured. "Making waves once again, I see. I guess you're here to speak to Taymar. Well, you're in luck. Would you care to follow me?"

(OOC: Assuming Jadmai chooses to follow)

Gharibu returned through the same intricately painted doors through which he had entered. Beyond was another room, smaller than the main common room and mostly deserted. The few present, however, had filled the air with fragrant smoke. In the farthest corner sat a man in the late middle stages of his life, his grey hair held back in a braid behind his ear, alone and reading a book. At Gharibu's approach he put it aside and looked up.

"This is the adhiel I mentioned," Gharibu said simply. "Ambassador Jadmai of Amun Rah."

Taymar's tight, weather-worn lips curled into a smile, and he gestured for Jadmai to take a seat across the table from him, letting the newcomer speak first.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

Jadmai was pleasantly surprised with the activity that was starting to take place in the inn. It had been so long since he had been an inn on social affairs, or any situation since he left Gulanadur. Between battling Ionis' army and then becoming his personal protege the dark adhiel had been kept occupied.

"Enjoy your drinks, and know that the coin that pays for them comes direcly from the purse and hands from his Highness, The Rafao of Amun Rah. Cheers to all."

The broad shouldered--at least for an adhiel--Jadmai then turned to see Gharibu. He returned the warm smile, with Jadmai's own trademark half smile, which he hoped conveyed as much as Gharibu's.

'Gharibu, it's good to see you again, friend. Excuse the waves, but after yesterday's, I feel the need to provide some profit for Taymar's establishment, and keep the patrons from being weary of my prescence. But enough of that, it was good to see you, and I will gladly follow."

Jadmai has seen the room in only the glimpse yesterday, but now being led into it, he could tell it was wear the more well-to-do spent their time here.

Offered a seat, the adhiel with unusual broad shoulder for his kind, took it graciously, and nodded to Gharibu in thanks.

"Taymar," Jadmai began, "it is an honour to meet you. If Ionis saw it fit that you should be one of my first contacts here, then I must trust his wise judgement, and thus, meet you with some excitement."

"As Gharibu relayed, I am Jadmai Av'Zathrak, Ambassardor to this region appointed to represent the Rafao's interests, and choosen by himself. I'm sure you are well informed of what goes on in your city, and because of that why I am here. I wish to speak of trade, and the problems Amun has had with warehouses, and shipments that have travled through the city. Ionis directed me to you, I believe so that I can get a good idea of who would be causing the sabotage to Amun interests."

Jadmai wrapped his slenders hands around the mug and sipped slowly, "This is excellent, and it would be good with something to smoke if you don't mind."

"So, I wish to speak of trade, have I come to right person, I doubt my charge would lead me astray."
Morg

Post by Morg »

Taymar nodded as Jadmai mentioned wishing for something to smoke. "I can certainly help you there, Mr. Av'Zathrak," he replied, reaching into a pocket and drawing out a sizeable leather pouch with two compartments. "In fact, you have a choice. Leaf from the West, standard tobacco but of an excellent quality, or, if you're feeling a little more daring..." He withdrew a pinch of a slightly paler ground substance, running it between his wrinkled fingers. "This is White Mist, a local speciality, which has something more of a kick to it. It's up to you."

Taymar himself refilled his own pipe with the White Mist and settled back in his seat, observing Jadmai with the same curious eyes that Rabiah and others had - not quite incredulous, but clearly trying hard to reconcile Jadmai's appearance and race with his position as a confidante of the Rafao of Amun Rah. "It is intriguing to meet you, too," he replied plainly. "You come with the highest of recommendations from our mutual friend. For his sake, I just hope that you can act where I cannot in getting to the bottom of what is going on here. My position here makes it difficult for me to investigate on behalf of Ionis without endangering my own interests - which I freely admit to prioritising." He smiled - apologetic, but without a hint of regret. You know how it is.

"I am very much afraid that I will be able to offer you little in the way of direct information regarding the problem," he continued. "Suspicions, of course. And contacts we may be able to share. And for matters of shipping and trade, as you say, I am your man." He spread his hands. "So please. Any questions you have - ask away."
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

"Friend," Jadmai laughed, "I have been smoking opium for over a hundred yahren, I suppose I shouldn't be afraid of something else with a kick...just a pinch though."

The dark adhiel stuffed his pipe with the new smokeable, and with slow light inhaling, he stoked it alive. He would be careful to only take small intakes to see how the drug effected him.

"Well, it is an honour to be highly recommened by such a friend as ours. And, it is also good to be company that has been equally highly lauded...most people look at me as if their eyes' were daggers. Though, I've been told recently that I'm actually a dark adhiel, and that such behaviour comes with the territory." The confessed dark one offered up a small smile.

Jadmai listened to Taymar fully, lightly enjoying his smoke, and nodding where he should. He was not at all surprised when the man spoke of priorities, and Jadmai could tell that those were important to him.

"Taymar, it is obvious you must take care of your business first, and you will see it will be the same for me. You as a businness man, and I as a diplomat, would not serve our ends very well, if we let others take precedent. I have not come to jepordize anything of yours, in fact, I can only see the clearing of the trade channel to help you, and other businesses...though I am not concerned with helping them out, as I am currently in someone else's pocket by default. Nonetheless, my intentions are true. I'm an adhiel looking for direction and clarification, nothing more." He said with open palms as if to mean that their hands could be mutually washed of each other if needed.

"Now, for that clarification. It is strictly Amunic goods that are being stolen or sabotaged, am I correct or do we have a general level of havoc when it comes to trade in this city. I have my information from Ionis, but I need to know what exactly is happening to our goods that I would have been sent over. That information is crucial to the course I will take, I have hopes...more dreams that this will stay political for awhile, but the more targeted we are, the more I can apply... other pressures as needed. I'm not asking who in this series of questions, I understand you only have your supicions, but you must an inkling as to what is going on. Destoryed cargo? Stolen? Lost ships?"

"After that is considered, then I am concerned with your suspicions. Some group or groups most be profitting of this. Am I dealing with a black market mogul, stealing my goods, or is it something, I fear, much more complicated than that. Is the ruining of Amunic business helping many? I'll take a straight list if that is what you want to give me, and I will go down the path of every lead so whom ever could be possible is what I to know.

My cage has literally been rattled before, I'm not afraid to rattle back if that is what you are going to tell me."

For some reason Jadmai whiped his mouth, perhaps he was salivating for information, but in any case he did it. Then, he also leaned in closer and spoke more quietly to Taymar.

"You, friend, most know why I was sent here, and why me. I wasn't sent here with an entourage, save for clerks." His spymistress was his own business. Prioritize. "Not a single solider of Ionis' has come with me. I make things happen, now I just need to know what needs to happen."

Jadmai leaned back now, and sat silently for a moment. He took his pipe between his teeth, but instead of smoking he spoke, "What can you tell me of what Ionis has said about me...I must admit to some curosity on this topic."

The dark adhiel then gave a small half smile, and reached into his inner cloak pocket, and pulled out a small velvet hankerchief, "Opium, from Gulanadur--of course imported, but we only take the best sap and seed to be found...or at least I do. Nothings free, right?" And again the small half smile reached Jadmai's lips.
Morg

Post by Morg »

The perceptible effects of the White Mist were not far removed from those of Jadmai's smokeable of choice. The relaxation, and slight euphoria, set in very gradually, but there was no sense of slowing of thought. Rather, a strange giddiness began to emerge, a hazy, swimming sensation, as if enough of the substance would simply cause the user to float away on it.

A brief smile flickered across Taymar's face as he reached across the table. "Well, he wrote of efficiency, and seemed to think that your understanding of the world's... mechanisms was rather more profound than that of most of his underlings. But most of all he spoke of loyalty." The aged human studied Jadmai's expression carefully as he continued. "For a man such as the Rafao, surrounded by people whose obedience has been drilled into them from birth, loyalty is obviously an important preoccupation. The gist of what he said with regard to you was that he was able to place more trust in you than in others because you had aligned yourself to him of your own free will. He valued that more than the forced loyalty of the vast majority of those that served him."

Taymar took a deep drag on his pipe. "Personally, I'm not sure I believe in loyalty. It usually only seems to last as long as both parties have converging interests. But Ionis is a sharp man, and was never given to blind trust, so..." He waved his free hand abstractedly, as if to say You know how it goes.

"Only Amunic operations have been affected by recent events," he clarified. "Although it's a young city, Sabata is a major player in international trade, and a generalised disruption of trade through the city would benefit no one, as far as I can tell. What anyone has to gain from targeting trade with Amun Rah is equally unclear, but I get ahead of myself." He sighed. "Over the past days, crews of Amunic ships have reportedly been intimidated when dealing with harbour and city authorities. Several warehouses have been broken into, and items have gone missing, although more usually it seems that the attackers' intent was to cause as much damage and chaos as possible. One was even put to the torch." Taymar frowned ruefully. "It is hard to believe that it was an accident, although there is no conclusive proof to the contrary.

"Now, as to my suspicions. Amun Rah's most valuable commodity on our markets is slaves, whether acquired legally or illegally - local buyers rarely care either way. The long Amunic tradition of slavery has bred a cadre of well-trained, passive, obedient slaves, as I'm sure you know, and these are often favoured by discerning masters. A man named Bock is behind most of the slave trade in the city, and he's also a councilor. His operation deals mainly with those imported from the Citadel and Kislovan. Since several slaver ships from Amun Rah have publicly decided not to trade here any more, Bock's market share is increasing, so he'll be one of the few to profit. Worth a look, I would say."

Taymar now lowered his voice slightly - the first concession to caution he had made in Jadmai's presence. "A councilor has to be behind all this. It's too... systematic and city-wide for anyone else to have initiated it." He shook his head. "I'd have said that the only one with both the resources and the initiative to pull something like this off is First Councilor Ramessu, but I just can't see a motive for his involvement. You might have better luck finding one, but I would advise extreme caution when dealing with him, even when mentioning his name. In real terms, he has more power in this city than any one man should be allowed to possess." He blinked as a wisp of smoke drifted into one of his liquid eyes. "But then I don't get the impression I really needed to warn you about that. You seem prudent enough."
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

The loyalty comes from friendship--like you I don't believe in obedient loyalty. Ionis never asked obediance from me, I was a guest of his, and my task here I take as duty of friendship. Well...as close a friend as a king can have. So, yes, I took to him immediately, and apparently that feeling is mutal. Many nights we had talks on the ways of man, and I believe that is where he found my understandings of worlds workings. I treasure those talks as much as my blades." Jadmai laughed a little louder than he expected to, "And that is quite a bit."

Jadmai leaned forward and used the same amount of caution that Taymar had, "I've heard Ramessu's name enough already for the short time I have been here, his reach is every where. Would someone know his interests in this Amunic business that you could point me towards? I doubt there is any, and I know a face-to-face meeting is envitiable, but of course not much will come of that."

"As far as Bock goes his interests are a little clearer. Would it be a faux pas to bring up his slave dealings or is that public knowledge. Tact of course must be used, but is it a topic open for discussion?"

Jadmai shook his head, this was more of a mess than he thought it would be, "I need to stop the bleeding, Taymar." The dark adhiel stroked his chin, "Is there able bodied men in Sabatha to hire as guards and can be placed at Amun Rah's spots of interests here? Because clearly with Harbeki's relations, he will be of no help. If the council or the police force won't protect me, then I must do so myself. I long to portal men from Amun Rah, but even in plain clothes that would arrouse suspicion, would it not, friend? Should I stay local, and would it stir up the council if I did, I guess is the summary of what I am asking?"

"I here the Council is a loose organization, taking this course of action would I face opposition from them indivual? Or would that force them together, for that is what I want in truth. An audience letting them know that I am here to solve this problem, of course very cordial and being a bastion of ettiquette. I am not in the position to make agression negotiations. Strength is only created when there is a lack of in others, and unfortunenately another quality of strength is that it's relative. Few of my powers translate to this land..besides wits and skills, but for now those skills are useless."

"Is there some knowledge that you can give me, or people that I can make my own introductions to besides the councilors? Do they (the councilors) have opposition?"

"I want to keep this political...any other tact will be even more dangerous, and I prayed I was done with that business."

Jadmai finished off the last of his whitemist and crossed one leg over the other, he didn't look at Taymar, but it was clear he was considered something or many thing on a very deep level, "I'm very sorry, Taymar." Jadmai said still not looking at the man, "All these questions..."
Morg

Post by Morg »

Taymar shook his head and smiled wryly. "Ask away. I have no objection to giving you the information you seek - I do it out of affection for Ionis." He laughed abruptly. "Although I have to say that I'm also motivated by an increasing interest in what you will make of it. It would certainly be intriguing to observe the emergence of a new power in our little sandbox. Now, as to some answers. The first of which, I'm afraid, will be of little use to you. I have already said that I cannot fathom a reason for Ramessu's interest, and apart from the man himself I do not know who might have such knowledge. One starting point would be a man called Gethis, who is native to Amun Rah and trades extensively with his countrymen. He owns two warehouses in the docks district, and has been one of the hardest hit. But if he had any knowledge of motives, he should have acted by now.

"You can discuss Bock's slave trading all you like," Taymar continued in a murmur. "He himself loves to talk about it, and as for others... well, if they know anything about Sabata they'll know that that is how he maintains his position. It's a question of tact, I suppose. It would depend on how you broach it. Even here, not everyone supports the notion of slavery. Those with a background with the People of the Sands, like Councilor Florez, will tolerate it, but would be more than happy were someone to put an end to it. I must admit that I personally still find the concept disconcerting, despite being acquainted with the Rafao for so long, a man who likely owns more slaves than anyone else in this world."

Taymar had to consider the last bundle of questions for several flickers, drumming the fingers of his free hand against the chamber of his pipe. "Yes, you should stay local when hiring, I would say. And yes, it would cause opposition in the council. But not as much as portalling in men from your homeland... I mean our friend's homeland. Doing that would be the fastest way to destruction. It would be not only the Council that would side against you if you deployed Amunic troops in the city. The West would be suspicious of such an action to the point of marshalling forces of their own. Although the Council wish independence for Sabata, they would side with the Western Kingdom if it came to a direct challenge, I am sure of it.

"Sabata has many able-bodied men, although I hear that a good number of them are planning to depart to join the war effort. Mercenary." He smiled. "You'd get good men for your money, although they don't believe in loyalty either. It would come down to whether you could make a better offer than Ramessu and Harkhebi. An alternative is to try the People, especially the Red Tribe. There are many in the Native Quarter, and many more within a day's ride. Harkhebi'spreference when recruiting for his guard is generally for city Sabatans and mercenary thugs from the West, so you might be able to find an angle with the People. They are less financially motivated than most here, though not by much.

"As for the Council, you will make enemies no matter how you approach this, I feel... but you might not be able to keep from making a few allies, either. Ramessu and those who follow his lead - Moetzl, definitely, and possibly Bock - would immediately oppose the creation of such a force. However, those who oppose the First Councilor might jump to your defence if only to shift the balance of power away from him. Akanke springs to mind.

"This city may seem chaotic, but little escapes the interests of one or other member of the Council. Most operations can be traced back to one of them, eventually. Part of the secret of my own success is that I've managed to stay independent for so long. I'm under no one's thumb, as such... which makes my tavern neutral ground, and that is a valuable commodity in itself. If you want to get to the source of anything here, though, odds are that you'll follow the trail back to one of the councilors. Few others are worth speaking to. None, in fact, that I can think of off the top of my head."

Taymar sighed. As if on cue, a server arrived at the table with a tankard of what appeared to be fresh water, from which the old human took a deep draught. "I hope some of this has been helpful to you," he said, lowering his eyes humbly. "Oh, and good luck with keeping it political. In my knowledge, it's more than the Councilors have ever been able to do."
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

Jadmai reached for the water a little more eagerly than he expected too, and almost spilled the mug, he gave Taymar a silly, crooked smile, and drank with child-like large gulps.

"The mist certainly puts a thrist into one who smokes it." He admitted.

The dark adhiel traced a finger along the handle of the tankard as he listened to Taymar's words, "You speak wisely, Taymar, and I don't expect to buy anyones loyalty--I haven't the coin for it--perhaps just their time (as there seems to be good men willing to offer that) will be suffice enough to put me at the tables of the Council. Show them I am willing to play their game..,politicians are a lot like children in that respect; if you show them you are interestred in playing their game, they are a lot more receptive to you." He finished with a shrug.

"I thank you for your direction and the new paths you have shown me. I shall explore them with vigor. I can only hope for more of your aide in the future. If you can find great help like Gharibu...well," Jadmai just raised his sparse eyebrows at the thought of having help like that.

The departing ambassador rose up and offered his hand to Taymar, "I trust I can find you here, if I should l need to arrange another visit. May our interests, both mutal and exclusive, be furthered."
Morg

Post by Morg »

The old human took Jadmai's hand and shook it solemnly. "Indeed," he replied with a smile. "If you want to find someone like Gharibu... well... you might like to try employing someone you've fought alongside. That's how the two of us met, back in the old days. Yes, I was young once, too." Taymar rolled his eyes. Although he acted the older man, Taymar knew he was likely only half Jadmai's age, even though he was showing signs of age while the dark adhiel was in the prime of his life.

"May our interests be furthered," he echoed. "And, yes, you know where to find me if you need more information. Or more White Mist. Goodbye, Jadmai Av'Zathrak." He raised a hand in parting.

The main room of the Crying Dragon was still jovial in atmosphere. One man raised a tankard in tribute as Jadmai passed through, but the majority didn't acknowledge the adhiel who'd bought everyone a round of drinks a mere several burns ago. It was ever thus in the Crying Dragon. The mood and focus of the clientele shifted as often and as drastically as the sands themselves.

(OOC: And I believe we're done here? You're welcome to continue in the other thread, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding the Super Sync.)
Morg

Post by Morg »

Skilled :)

Return to “The Sands Archive”