Debriefing From Professor Moore - Samheen 29th TT

Moderator: Mods

Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Debriefing From Professor Moore - Samheen 29th TT

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin had dragged himself out of bed. Various parts of him ached, very parts of him throbbed, and other parts didn't seem to respond at all. But he was intact and that was the main thing. His first instinct was to head for a tavern to celebrate a little bit more, but he managed to suppress such thoughts. As far as he was concerned the demon was dead and gone, yet he needed to hear it from the Professor's mouth. Just to make sure. When that was out of the way there was the matter of the murderer that Samantha had told him about - there would be time for that later.

It was with these considerations that Corbin strolled leisurely towards the Professor's room. It was a nice feeling to not have to worry about a demon lurking beneath the Citadel, nor to worry about what happened to Bregana. It had been days since he had been free from such concerns, and now that he was he almost felt like he could float down the corridor. Thinking of floating reminded him that he was much more experienced with magic than he had been even a few days ago. A baptism of fire was probably the best description of his trials.

He almost whistled to himself as he reached Professor Moore's door, but decided against it, and instead rapped on the door thrice to signal his presence.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

OOC: Sorry about delay. Doing a tie-over before Tristam returns

The talismans still weaved in the hallways leading to Professor's room, betraying quite clearly Moore specialty. How many of those were still active and what each rune and talisman did was something that would take too much time to unravel and luckily Corbin never tried. "enter." The door clicked open at the word, unlocking itself and allowing the young mage to enter the Professor's study. The man was sitting next to the window staring out, and seemingly doing nothing. "Good day, Corbin. Do you have news for me." Only then did he turn and rise from the chair seating himself at his desk.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

OOC: Not a problem!

Corbin walked past the runes and talismans that were becoming familiar to him, the ones that he supposed guarded the Professor's room, or perhaps served as some form of scrying tool, for the Professor always seemed to know that it was Corbin. Perhaps next time he would make himself invisible and see if the Professor could see him that way.

True to form, as Corbin entered the Professor didn't turn round, yet instinctively knew it was his apprentice who had entered. Perhaps a hood, or mask next time would be appropriate. Though of course that might simply result in the Professor deciding to set fire to him, or perform some other rather painful act of magic. On second thought, it was probably better safe than sorry.

"Good day to you as well, Professor." Corbin said as he walked into the room casually glancing about the room. "News? Well, the beast has been verily smitten. That sounds rather good - though no doubt the bards will have a finer turn of phrase than that. I know a bard actually, perhaps I can ask her for a suggestion. Can you think of a word synonymous with hero, or perhaps valiant, that rhymes with Dillon?" Corbin asked with a wry grin, wondering if the Professor with his back to him could see the smirk. "All I can think of if villain, and that really doesn't carry the image I'm aiming for. The last bit of champion rhymes - Dillon, champion, Dillon, champion?" He mused absentmindedly. "Oh, yes, news. Well, no, not really. Beast dead, Bregana and Elaine recovered. It was actually I that came for the news. Put bluntly, is the Changer gone, and how 'dead' is it? Dead as in the traditional sense of gone forever, never to darken our doorstep? Or dead in the Citadelian sense of gone for the moment, but liable to return at the most inconvenient moment?" Corbin enquired.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Moore chuckled when Corbin got sidetracked in his report, but did not interrupt him, letting the man chatter on, knowing how tired he must be. The Professor himself, had slightly bloodshot eyes, with black marks under them, as if he had not slept a single burn that night. Which was true, incidentally, since he had been watching the battle and knew of their success. "It is gone. From this world at least, and..... Well, it felt like it was gone for good too. I am not certain, and I don't think I ever will be, but its energy did not dissipate. It was destroyed. Or rather transformed into something mundane. I have never seen anything like that before. Who or what did absorb it all. And how did he overpower it? Or she?" He smiled, and rubbed at his forehead. "Tell me of a battle. I want to know more.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin nodded as the Professor explained, and he smiled grimly as the Professor voiced the belief that the demon was gone for good. Just reward for the evil being that had threatened to take the life of both Bregana and Elaine. Cast out of existence was too good for it - Corbin would much rather it had suffered an eternal torment.

"The battle?" Corbin asked rhetorically as the Professor asked for details. "Well, let me see. Our initial force was split in twain, half to provide support, and then the main body for the assault - of which I was a member." He said in a matter of fact manner. "As one would expect the Changer sent his forces against us. The first creature we faced was the possessed lighthouse keeper who appeared to be constantly aflame, swiftly followed by about a dozen hell hounds. The keeper was freed by Ashari and the priests of Dominicus and he leapt to his death. A combination of magic, arrows and close combat did for the hounds, though alas not without loss. We then split our forces again, Barrett created a portal into the tower through which five of us leapt. Naturally the floor upon which we emerged collapsed, but we survived unscathed. After that it was merely a matter of vanquishing the beast. Ulder's sword proved most effective in this, as did Elvin's magic once he had made his way into the tower. We also found Elaine and Bregana beneath the tower, Bregana appeared to have been altered in some way, but that was corrected by Barret's power. At the last the beast tried to flee with its last heart, but it was held in place by Barret, whilst a spear of Elvin's conjuration was filled with the divine power of Aeris and Brother Pulo, and I believe it was that divine power that did for the last heart." Corbin said, finishing his tale of the battle with the Changer - that was the succinct version!
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Tal-Alkeen, high sorcery and the powers of the Gods." Moore summarized with a nod. "The first is the most likely explanation for the the dissiapation of the Netheric energies. Sorcery can confine it and prayer can banish it but destruction or purification?" Moore shrugged. "Those secrets have been lost in antiquity."

"If ever we need worry about that being, it will be beyond our lifespans." Moore said confidently. "You have done more than I ever could have hoped when I set you the task of investigating the beast Corbin. I am proud of you." He smiled.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

"Lost in antiquity?" Corbin asked rhetorically. "That is rather careless of them. I would have thought that the University has texts on just about every subject under the sun." He said, honestly believing it. After all, with the number of highly skilled mages in the University it seemed to Corbin that they might reasonably be expected to do anything. Of course, Corbin was merely an apprentice and student - he had been exposed to magic certainly, but this had merely shown him how much more there was to the world of magic.

Corbin grinned as the Professor expressed his pride.

"Well, one does one's best, after all." Corbin said modestly. "I am just glad that we have got Bregana back and vanquished this demon for a long time. Plus it is certainly a tale to tell those fops and ladies back in Roque d'Ancourt. I shall most likely have to set fire to one or two, just to give a rough demonstration of what went on, but I'm sure that I have a good idea of who would make a good target." He said with a chuckle.

He was silent for a flicker or two, before he spoke again.

"I have a question, Professor." He began. "My experience thus far has been of beings from other planes that are, in a word, evil. My question is, are there beings from other plans that are good? Or are they pretty much bad as a rule?" He enquired, asking a question that had been preying on his mind for some time now.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Those from the Nether are invariably malevolent." Moore replied. "Some hide this better than others. It is said that demons have a hundred reasons for everything they do and 99 of them are cruel. As for beings upon the Aether, do you consider the Gods a force for good, Corbin?" Professor Moore asked rhetorically.

"I've dabbled enough into theology to learn the many faces that deities wear. All things in this world were born of the Mother and Father, Corbin, even the things most of us would rather do without. Still, beneficent beings do reside there as do many beings beyond our own notions of morality." Moore sniffed. "Answering your question more fully, there is no evidence of a plane of extreme goodness trying to gain access to our world to make things nicer for everybody. Should such a place exist, no doubt they are too polite to break in."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin nodded as the Professor spoke about the Nether and its denizens. No hope there, then unless he managed to convert one. Then the Professor posed a query about the Gods.

"A force for good?" He asked. "Well, I suppose they can be. I would not call myself a devout man. I have never seen any miracles or such, indeed as far as I can see, a God's personality is derived from the behaviour of its followers. So that places the munificence or malevolence in the hands of the followers. But I am no theologist. As long as a God chooses not to bother me, I shall endeavour not to bother him or her." Corbin said with a nod.

"It is rather a shame that there is no plane of goodness. I imagine it would be a nice place for a holiday." He observed. "Though I imagine it might be a bit of a boring place to live. Not much to do. It does seem rather unfair that a place of evil exists, but no plane of good. Far too much emphasis on mortals to be good." He said with a shake of his head.

"What about fairies then?" He enquired. "Do they exist? I've heard stories about them, but they were just children's stories."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Faeries are real enough though most are so elusive that you have likely walked by several and never noticed." Professor Moore replied. "I know for a fact that the herb garden in Citadel grows so well due to their influence. I can only imagine what the warping of the Isle by the Changer has done to them. For beings with a tie to the land, it would have been painful to say the least." Moore understated.

"Faeries are also said to inhabit the deep woods of Pan's Isle." Moore went on. "There the faeries are older and more sophisticated in their magics and mischief. Many founder magics of the University are attributed to the powers of the so called White Fae and they have been known to appear within the University despite wards that should prevent such entry." Moore grumbled. he took anything getting through his wards as a personal affront. "Mostly, I've focused on ways to see through their glamours and illusions. Should you be interested I have a bestiary somewhere that focuses on fey creatures." He offered.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin listened intently as the Professor spoke of fairies to him. He wasn't entirely sure why he was so interested in them, but they were a foreign being. Perhaps that was why he was interested in Adhiel? Well, one of the reasons, at any rate. Still, the elusiveness and the supposed proximity of them piqued his interest further - indeed the fact that they may have been pained by the Changer seemed to make a bond between him and them, for Corbin had been involved with the Changer almost since the first day he arrived in the University. It appeared that he would be making a visit to the Herb Garden.

"That would be very useful." Corbin said, nodding at the Professor's suggestion of a bestiary. "I have a mind to see if I can contact the faeries of the herb garden. Well, I anticipate contacting them not to be the difficulty - but prompting them to return the consideration may be difficult if they are as elusive as you say."

"I have been thinking, and whilst I naturally need to study and practice my magick, I also have a desire to know more about magick, and the world it inhabits." Corbin said, having given some serious thought to his studies and the direction he wished them to take. "What other defences are there? When I faced the Changer, it seemed to get into my mind easily, as if it was sliding a hot knife through butter. A blast of magic I have a shield against, but there was nothing to stop its words echoing through my head. And how would I have stopped it turning me into a possessed thing like the lighthouse keeper? I have been fortunate enough to have not suffered that fate - but next time I face something like that I want to do so with some idea in mind as to how I can defend myself." Corbin said. This vulnerability had plagued him since the defeat of the Changer. He had seen a great gap in his defences, bigger than any other he could imagine. He was skilled with the sword, and he could defend himself from magical attacks - but he had no idea what to do if something tried to get into his mind. Who knew how often he would come into contact with demons who might try such a thing?
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"That which shields you against the Aether can also defend your mind." Moore informed him as he rose and started looking through a stack of books to one side of his work table. "Had the Nether being tried to do more than simply communicate mentally you would have done so by instinct. Really though you ask two questions. To defend from mental magics requires little more than the shielding you already know how to wield. There are advanced methods of course which I shall be happy to instruct you in but at its heart even the subtlest of mental magics is a manipulation of the Aether. As such, your shield will protect you to the extent that you build your shield well." Moore explained.

"As for preventing possession and corruption," Moore sighed, "that requires fending off energies of the Nether. The only way to do this is with pure Aether. Netheric energies twist individual energies of the Aether too easily. Only a concerted defense with as many different types of energy as you can manage can fend off the Nether for long. I sensed some being summoned on the battlefield. I suspect it was the work of Mentor Motrice. I am sure he would show you the method if you were to ask."

"Ah, here we go." Professor Moore pulled forth a slim tome bound in red leather and handed it over to Corbin. "The bestiary I spoke of. Should you decide to seek out the fey of the isle, speak with Zersa in the Citadel gardens. She may aid you if you make a good impression."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin listened intently, again, as the Professor explained it to him. He was pleased to hear that his shield would protect him against mental attacks. Though it was less comforting to hear that preventing possession and corruption - those were the things that he was most concerned about given the recent encounters he had had. It also indicated that he would have to make an effort to learn how to protect himself. He didn't want any weaknesses.

"The first part is comforting, and I would be grateful for any advanced methods you can impart to me." Corbin said. "As for the second, well, I think I shall take your advice and have a word with Mentor Motrice. One doesn't like to leave chinks in one's armour." Corbin explained.

As the Professor laid hold of the text, Corbin leant forward to look at it and then took it. Opening it up and glancing at the first page, before shutting it again.

"That is most kind of you Professor. I am rather intent on expanding my acquaintances, especially amongst the more obscure folks of this plane." Corbin explained. "I think I shall have a word with Zersa and see what she can tell me. Is she a mage?" He enquired, opening up the book and flicking through the pages again.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Brightly colored pictures of little creatures with gossamer wings and flower like appearance sat next to block writing in black ink as Corbin flipped through the book. "No." Professor Moore answered. "Zersa has no formal training in anything but gardening that I am aware of. Nevertheless, she possesses an affinity with the natural order of things greater than most clergy of the Mother." Professor Moore smiled. "You will find her an interesting companion if she has the time to spare."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin considered this as the Professor spoke. Yes, he would certainly pay her a visit and see what he could find out from her. It always paid to expand one's list of contacts - and if she could help him meet a fairy he would completely grateful.

"I shall do that then. She sounds like an interesting woman - I was never really into gardens and flowers, and what have you. But perhaps that is something I can put right." He commented, he paused to consider adding something then thought better of it.

"If you don't mind Professor I shall take this to my room and study it there, and see what I can discover about these fairies." He said with a smile as he turned to go.

OOC: Probably best to wrap this up so we can get past the recess, I guess?
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Go on, apprentice. I shall expect tomorrow for further training." Professor Moore nodded to Corbin in dismissal and Corbin was free to continue his day.

Fin: What you know may help the things you don't know not hurt you.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Thread skilled!
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “University of Magicks Archive”