Party like a Dortman (Samheen 30th ET)

Moderator: Mods

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder took the garment, feeling perhaps a little sheepish, perhaps a little embarrassed that his quick tongue had earned him this sort of rebuke.

"Purple was, and ever shall be the the shade I am most closely associated with. I am glad I asked, for your explanation humbles me and gives me pause."

Ulder tucked the cloak safely under one arm and bowed formally to the Professor.

"I shall wear Verrain's working's with honor and pride Professor. Please accept my apologies if I've given any offense. I simply felt the need to move beyond a hurt such as the guard and this seemed as reminder to a difficult time. I shall endeavor to look beyond the color and instead towards the spirit."

"Thank you very much."

Ulder looked to Elaine for her reaction. Doubtless she would find it amusing, and frankly, he could use the mirth.
[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=404]Ulder's Compendium[/url]

[size=67]Avatar by permission of Amok. http://en.amokanet.ru/[/size]
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Elvin looked suprised when Peckerton spoke to him, in fact he was so surprised he forgot all about Fauna for the time being. "Of course, Professor," the Mentor replied, smiling, "I always have time to talk to you. What's on your mind?"

Before Peckerton could answer, Ulder and Elaine entered and Elvin's expression softened, a soft smile playing around his lips. "One moment, Professor. There's something I have to do," he said as he turned to looked at Elaine. Gracefully his fingers moved through the air, drawing a single strand of air in a magical spell. He cupped his hand around the small ball of energy and brought it to his mouth. "Hello, little sister, I'm glad you're safe... Enjoy this night and enjoy your love. It's good to see you safe. We'll talk later enjoy the company of the one most dear to you and be safe! May the Mother guide and keep you. I ealiu eafianiu ta ea amhadhea..."

He released the spell and sent it to Elaine, a whisper only she would hear... He turned back to Peckerton: "I'm sorry, Professor. What did you want to tell me?"

OOC: Sorry for the long wait, I've been out of the country!
May the Light show you your path: I ealiu eafianiu ta ea amhadhea
Last edited by Elvin Motricé on Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Professor Moore cradled his stinging jaw in his hand and watched Keaira storm off. Yes there was potential in her for good or for ill. She was one the bore watching especially if Fauna had hung out her shingle. Moore blithely ignored the curious or disapproving looks shot his way and moved on to another corner of the party.

-----

"Well I suppose since you saved the isle from destruction I can cut you a little slack." Acantha gave Ulder a lopsided smile. "You are welcome and I mean that literally. The doors of the University are ever open to both of you should you need us. Enjoy the victory." Acantha headed off in search of a drink.

-----

"W-well, let's get the unpleasant p-part over with first." Peckerton began. "You m-may have heard that th-those that fought the d-demon have been given their items from the V-vault as a reward. Alas the w-wand that you b-borrowed c-cannot be so g-given under the compact we s-signed when we obtained it. I h-have to ask for it b-back." He finished a little sheepishly and then forged on.

"B-but you are n-not to lack r-reward for your service." The Professor assured him. "We h-hope you will accept this in its place." Peckerton fished around in a pocket of his robe and drew forth a ring. It was a gold ring with a sunburst fitting and in it sat a diamond cut piece of Trothgardian crystal. "It absorbs the energy of l-light and stores it as a c-cache of Aetheric power." Peckerton explained. "Use it well."

"The University w-would also like to extend to you an offer, Elvin." Peckerton began. "From Acantha's reports, your m-mastery of m-magic has reached high l-levels indeed and I h-have always f-found you to be a force for kn-nowledge and for good. The t-title of M-mentor is too small for you n-now. We offer you a full Professorship, Elvin. Will you j-join us?" Peckerton asked hopefully.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

The woman couldn't believe she had gotten this far, but she wasn't about to give up now. The men carrying the load had left again, and it would be another moment before they returned. As for the adhiel, she looked around for a moment to try and discern what to do next. The only thing of interest was the light penetrating the room, but it was flickering with something on the other side every few flickers.

Sarah could only assume it was a person, or something that was capable of movement. By the sound of the music, it seemed to her that she had almost made it into the party, with the other guests. The people on the other side, if that is what it was, could also be guards. Sarah sincerely hoped not. The woman took a flicker to straighten herself up and make sure she looked presentable. She then peaked through to the sliver of light to find what lay on the other side.
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Post by Fauna Winthrope »

Fauna didn't realize that she was holding her breath from fear of Thomas Crane's wrath and from the exotic touches that Vanir incur upon her. And so, when the old boot strode off, the dark enchantress let out an explosive breath and closed her eyes with a small sigh, thanking the pantheon of the gods that had watched over her. And now that the danger was gone, she could now play and she turned to the Priest of Pan with a mirthful twinkle upon her blue eyes.

"Perhaps, one day, Lord Vanir, you will know." Fauna breathed and laughed out loud and gave him the full impact of her smile as she showed him the dimples on her face. She suddenly seemed the innocent girl he had met the first time at the University of Magick although there was a trace of coldness upon those twinkling blue eyes that could never be erased. "Yes, indeed, Lord Vanir Do not think that I wasn't thinking of you these past few days, for I do, I always do. Your lessons of the Joys of Pan kept me awake most of the night as I lay alone on my bed." It was an invitation and if Vanir was the dim-witted, handsome fool he was, he wouldn't be able to understand it.

It was then she heard the sound of flesh hitting flesh and saw Keaira slapped Professor Moore and then strode off. There was something amok about it, almost like a theater play and Fauna, a woman of pure theatrics, could smell something fishy going on. "I smell a rat." She murmured under her breath, her blue eyes going cold as she frowned and intently looked upon Moore. No, she couldn't blame Keaira, the University was manipulative and cunning as a snake and she knew they were planning something against her. They were jealous, of her, of her growing power and she knew they were planning to crash her down. Did they think she won't know what's going on? Did they think she was still the innocent girl back when they manipulated her? No, she was way passed that, and if necessary, she would lay siege upon the University and crash the very pinnacle of their towers with her dark sorcery, blood alchemy, necromancy, and mindcraft. Her powers were growing, day by day it was blossoming and only time could tell how far it would reach and by then, she knew, by then, she would cast down the University campus to rubbles and ashes and anyone who went along with them. Yes, those were her thoughts as she turned her eyes from Professor Moore and traced the confident way Keaira was walking, a pawn between two opposing sides.

"But tell me, Your Holiness," Fauna turned to Vanir, her blue eyes were twinkling with merriment once more although a hint of darkness could be seen upon those blue orbs. "What kept you busy these past few days?" The dark enchantress asked him as she wormed her arm around his, leading him gently to where the drinks were located and saw Elaine and Ulder. "Oh, look, it's Elaine and Ulder. Perhaps we ought to say hi and see how Miss Bannon fares?"
Last edited by Fauna Winthrope on Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Cruelty has a Human Heart,
Jealousy a Human Face,
Terror the Human Form Divine,
and Secrecy the Human Dress."

-- William Blake
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Elvin smiled when Peckerton told him about the wand. Honestly, he hadn't known that the others had been allowed to keep their items and the Mentor had already returned it to the Vault. He didn't feel jealousy because the others had been allowed to keep their magical items. After all, he didn't need them... He could rely on his own magic. Besides, the wand's value was great indeed and it wouldn't be right to let one person wield it for the remainder of his life.

When Peckerton presented him with the ring the Adhiel's eyes widened. He carefully took it from the Professor and examined it. The sorcerer smiled when he looked at Peckerton: "This is more then I expected, Professor. As for the wand... I have already returned it to the Vaults. It wouldn't be right for me to keep wielding it. It is an item that should only be used when it is necessary and should remain in the Vault to help others when they need it."

The mage put the ring on his right middle finger and kept studying it so it took a while for Peckerton's next words to register with him. When they did he looked at the Professor in utter disbelief, his thoughts a jumble. "A Professorship? Me?" It was a confirmation of his growth in magic, something he had strived for since he had arrived in the Citadel and now... it was offered to him!

Realizing he had been silent for a while, and that he was still gaping at Peckerton, Elvin snapped his mouth shut and straightened. A genuine smile spread across the sorcerer's face: "Of course I will accept, Professor! It would be an honour!"

He paused for a moment: "We'll need to discuss a few things thought... First of all, as a full-fledged member of the University staff I can no longer be a real Hunter. The prophecy wouldn't allow that so we'll have to find a new one. Second," he smiled again, "what does a full professorship entail?"
Last edited by Elvin Motricé on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The mug Corbin proffered was filled indeed, the last of the foam upon the surface of a golden colored ale slowly dissolving in the air. Red took the mug from his hands and sipped just a little bit, before scooping another from the table. This one contained dark ale, and that one she kept for herself, giving the other to Corbin saying nothing, but urging him to drink it, as he had apparently missed his guess once more. She did not interrupt him for a moment, listening to his reasoning, hooking her free hand with his elbow and gently urged him to walk with her.

The direction they took was no place special, the red clad woman simply seeking a bench upon which she sat, patting the wood next to her for him to sit. When he was done, she smiled first and pointed at the dark ale in her mug. "I have already answered that I think. You still have to drink what you chose the last time, but now you know." Then the smile faded from her face and her voice was lowered a notch. "You could say I have an interest in the Slayer. You see, my boss Thomas Crane does a lot of work in the Outer Ring and a presence of a Slayer is very bad for business. And as his assistant it is my job to protect his business interests where I can. I have been trying to find someone to handle the matter, but so far the men I found have discovered very little. You do bring some interesting points to the light. And if you are right about the captured man not being the Slayer I think we two should have a little chat. I am sure Master Crane will know how to reward the man who brings the Slayer to justice." With a sigh she forced a smile back to her lips and winked. "Speaking of rewards, what do you think you deserve for the correct guess of my favorite drink? And don't you dare pretend to be shy, because it won't work on me, you devil."

The guard who had mentioned the Duke's sneaky side, flashed a quick grin at Keros and with a wink, looked over his shoulders as if expecting someone to be listening. It was all a guise, as none of the stories he intended to share were a big secret. The cards were dealt and shuffled, with the money switching hands, but it was a friendly game the wagers there merely to spice things up a bit. "Well, some say the Duke is the living avatar of Pecunia. And while it is merely a joke I must say he exhibits a few of the attributes of the Goddess of Wealth." The guard chuckled as his mind went through the stories he have heard. "The Duke is said to have had quite a wild youth and many stories tell of his night-time adventures. But, there is one that I like the most." The dealer looked up and shook his head with the wide grin. "No, not that again. Don't listen to him son. He will have you believe the Duke is Pan himself." The story-teller waved his hand and grin. "Shush, Marten. Let me tell the tale."

The cards were dealt, but none reached for them as they leaned on the table and expected the story to begin, even though they have all heard it before. "While his father was still alive, Duke Erwin enjoyed more freedom than he has now. And it was then that the seed of his current wealth was formed. Sure, he inherited much from his father, but it was he who made Dort into what it is today. But, let us not focus on today, but on the days past. You see, he had been to Muchislie at one point, and there he ran out of money after a particularly long line of drunken nights and rowdy adventures. And rather than steal or work his way back to Dort, or reveal himself and have his father pay he decided to find a way to sail back in style without spending a banner." The man winked and leaned closer. "Some say it was not the lack of money but the beauty of the Captain Elmer's wife, Marietta that made the Duke reconsider. For you see, in Muchislie at that time lived a man whose ship Starfire was considered the fastest of all Muchislie vessels. He owned a few more ships but it was that one that was his pride. He was rich and it was that wealth that earned him his beautiful and twenty years younger wife. Red-headed and curvy she was the very essence of beauty. The Captain loved her with all his heart and was as jealous as Hell. And while many have tried none have ever managed to steal her from him, if even for a night. None but the Duke."

The man took a sip of his ale and continued, obviously enjoying the attention he was getting. "I do not know how the Duke met Marietta, but the story goes that they were never introduced. All that aside it was one dawn that he snuck into the Captain's house and hid in the attic, waiting for the Captain to leave. The sun was not up when he heard the soft click of the door and saw Elmer leave through a small window in the roof. Silently, like a cat, the Duke made his way down and found the bedroom the Captain shared with his wife. She was still asleep, and if the stories were true I think even the Duke stopped for a couple of flickers to simply stare at her sleeping form. Be as it may, it was a kiss that woke her, and the first sight she saw as she gazed up were the Duke's lavender eyes. She struggled briefly, but he pinned her down, her muffled screams turning into a soft moan as she started to enjoy the kiss."

Leaned back in the chair, Drew paused for a moment, letting the others imagine the scene for themselves. "Neither said nothing, the Duke knowing why he had come and Marietta…… Well, I guess Marietta preferred a young, handsome man to her aging husband. Soon, she was naked and the Duke's kisses were no longer limited to her lips, and just as she sought to even the odds and undress the Duke as well, her husband returned." Another pause to let the tension rise, and the other soldiers did sit on the edges of their seats despite hearing the tale before.

"Marietta gasped, and sought to push the Duke away, frightened that her husband would discover them, but the Duke just smiled and jumped, reaching for the rafters and settling there, holding himself aloft between them." His hands weaved a pattern in the air showing two straight beams and a man pushing against them with his feet and hands hanging in thin air by the force of his muscles alone, his back pressed to the ceiling. "Marietta quickly pulled her nightgown on once more and ducked into bed, just as her husband came."

Pauses were what made the story exciting, the true story-teller knowing when to stop and let the audience use their imagination for added effect. "He had forgotten his cloak, and it had been a chilly morning, the Duke hanging right over his head as the Captain rummaged through the wardrobe. Marietta pretended she had just woken up and soon had Elmer apologizing to her for rousing her from her sleep. I can imagine the Duke's grin as he hung up there, watching the increasingly blushing Marietta refusing her husband's apologies, intent on getting him out of the house as fast as possible. At last he left and she rushed to the window to watch him depart, while the Duke still kept to his high perch."

With the story nearly finished, Drew leaned forward and rested his elbow on the table. "Or so she thought, before she felt the Duke's arms around her, answering her husband's wave even as her passion was flared to new heights by the man behind her." He grinned wickedly and wriggled his brows in a suggestive manner. "And I hear the Duke treated her damn well, leaving the house quite a few marks later, carrying in his pack a bottle of the Captain's favorite wine, using the expensive drink to buy himself a trip home." He stopped as if the story was over, but adding soon enough. "Oh, and I heard the Captain got a son later that year, a child with his wife's red-hair, but with the strange lavender eyes, unheard of in his family." He flashed a mock bow and winked at Keros the rest of the soldiers chuckling as the story ended.

Seeing an opportunity present itself, the Duke took it without hesitation, glancing swiftly towards where the others were busy talking amongst themselves and with a smile pressed a finger to his lips, and without a word took Fialessa's hand into his and led her to the side, weaving his way through the people until they were nearly alone. "Ah, that's better. Sorry about this, but just because I paid for the party, does not mean they have to come say thanks. Now, where were we?" He paused a moment and quickly recalled their previous conversation. "Ah, yes. We were discussing religion were we not? And I think you are correct, regarding the importance of each faithful follower. And while I follow Pecunia as my patron deity, and find Pan's ways to be somewhat too care-free I see a change coming over them. No war is good but it has had an effect on the Panlings. They are no longer simply after sex and easy entertainment, but indulge in other passions as well. Rage for now, but there is great potential in them. I hope my troops help them repel the attack."

The men whom Sarah was helping carry the supplies inside would be gone for longer than a few short flickers, and just as she peeked through the crack between the door and the frame, muffled curses came from outside, the pair apparently lifting another heavy barrel and moving towards the door at the same sedate pace. Through the door lay the kitchen, half a dozen or so women moving about in an organized chaos, the scent of food reaching the intruder's nostrils. Meat seasoned with mustard and bacon and just a hint of garlic was roasting on the spit mere three feet away, and a woman of a rather wide waist was busy cutting of chunks and placing them on the platter. More people came in and out through a door at the far end of the kitchen, leaving the empty trays on the table and going out with the full ones. While the guests had fun, these people made sure they were not hungry or thirsty.
Last edited by Grey Wolf on Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

Vanir took note of every move and sound Fauna made, hoping to find how much she had changed. It was obvious that she was no longer the innocent girl he met outside to University one night, but that girl was still inside her. The sweet smile and twinkle in her eyes showed that she still existed inside this enchantress and Vanir was going to release her.

"A lonely bed? A beautiful girl like you should never have to sleep alone. One day I will have to remedy that for you, but sadly it will not be tonight." The handsome priest winked playfully and sent another small tingle of passion up her spine, spreading up to her bosom and down below. He hoped it would be enough to cause a slight reaction from her.

Vanir tried to hide a flicker of pain as he thought of the past few days. He spoke softly and smiled to hide his pain. "I am afraid I have spent the past several days in a deep meditation, locked away from everything. These are dark times after all, even for those with pure hearts like us." He looked deep into her eyes as he spoke, hoping to see anything she might try to hide herself. "Now I have to concentrate on my duties at the Temple. It seems with the recent rash of deaths and Eilish's temporary absence, I am now left in charge of the Temple. Once I get everything settled at the Temple, we shall have to make some time to catch up. Would you like that, my dear?"

Vanir looked over at Elaine and Ulder as they were left alone by Acatha. He led Fauna over to them and spoke in a pleasant voice. "Miss Elaine and Captain Ulder, it has been far too long, since we have spoken. How have you two faired?"

ooc- edited for continuity.
Last edited by Vanir Alfheim on Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[color=green]Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something right." [/color]

Avatar by the wonderful Finn. Much thanks!!
Fialessa Valenstri
Panling Priestess

Post by Fialessa Valenstri »

Fialessa, though surprised, said nothing to call attention as the Duke led her away from the thick of the crowd. “Quite understandable…“ She returned and gave him a genial nod as he made his unnecessary apology. It was something she could only have sympathy for, as she could only imagine being inundated with so many people at every turn.

She tilted her head upward as he gave his opinion on Pan and the Panlings. Nodding again, she spoke in her soft even tone. “I would be inclined to agree… Far too many unscrupulous used the faith of Pan as an excuse for vice. I fear the greatest challenge to be faced for the Panlings is the repairing of such a tarnished reputation. Sex and entertainment are all well and good and have their place, but placing it all under the auspice of Pan is a mistake. Real passion comes from much deeper within…”

Her face reflected a certain thoughtfulness as she silently hoped as well that his troops would lend some great help to the Panlings, and indeed anyone else pit against the Oneists. “Yes,” the red haired adhiel paused, then smiled prettily and her eyes shone thinking on her own hopes for the faith “there is so much potential, and I may only hope that I might be able to aid in the growth and see it flourish…”
[i][color=black][size=84]There is a fine line between coincidence and fate...

[url=http://hito76.deviantart.com/]Avatar is 'Karelle' from the drawing Intimite by Hito, used with permission.[/url][/size][/color][/i]

Post by Guest »

Tiffany watched the man closely and felt him draw nearer. His eyes felt as if they wanted to tell her something but hesitated. She liked the closeness and did not pull away as he tried to recover. Instead, she leaned closer to him and placed her palm on his chest right above his rapidly beating heart. "I sculpt and paint. It is amazing to try to capture something so alive and turn it into one single moment but still making it look alive."

She smiled as she caught Talanwei's look once more. "What did you think of the ice sculptor at the entryway?" She asked curiously as she studied Talanwei's reaction and correlated it with his spoke words.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

Becca laughed, giving Morgan her best mock-offended look, then putting her drink and her cloak down so she could fold her arms. "Thank you for that, Mister Scrylock. It's nice to know my efforts're appreciated." Then of course, being that rare thing - a mage with sense - he started to backtrack, which made her grin again, even while she took pity on him. "Stop panicking already. It's me, I'm hardly going to get -" offended was going to be the next word, she was sure of it. But somehow, between starting to talk and putting her hand on his arm in an attempt to make him stop fussing, Morgan's mouth had got in the way.

Oh.

Well. That was... Unexpected.

Not bad, certainly - and Becca was hardly going to complain - but... She hadn't expected him to do that. Sure, Becca had ambushed him in the past, but she wouldn't have thought Morgan would repay the favour. Not without a lot of alcohol beforehand, a written invitation, and quite probably a suitably dire threat as to what would happen if he didn't.

Definitely better this way.

Becca leaned into the kiss a little, that hand that had been on his arm moving up to his shoulder as though to keep him from running off. He tasted a little like the beer - that was fine with her, even though she probably did too - and what they lacked in experience they made up for in enthusiasm. She was just stepping in a little closer, thinking rather absently that they should probably do something about his hat, when he pulled away. Becca looked startled, certainly, and she was blushing, but a smile was spreading slowly over her face - one that suggested that no, she wasn't going to beat him to a bloody pulp for this.

"I - I think," and she interrupted herself with a rather breathless laugh - it was just, she sounded so surprised, even to her own ears, and she probably looked it as well. "I think we should try that again. Without the hat in the way this time." And then - trying to shake the suspicion that he was going to panic or sober up, neither of which looked like good options from her point of view - she leaned up again, pressing her lips against his firmly, one hand on his shoulder and the other twitching the damn hat off his head.
<Becca> I am all in favour of getting Elvin laid. I am not in favour of getting Becca blown to little squishy bits
<Sevti> That's a sig line if I ever heard one.
Avatar drawn by the amazing Finn!
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Talanwei Fortisse »

Talanwei heart was going to beat out of his chest. It was a simple truth that he was becoming acquainted with as Tiffany touched his just below his heart. The woman acted as if she didn’t know what effect this was having on him. There was a dim realization that she likely did not and this calmed him if only barely. His mouth opened as if it would form words. Of course it did not as she spoke of her talents with painting and sculpting. Tiffany’s eyes met his own again. She smiled sweetly and asked him what he thought of the sculptures at the entryway.

His head tilted as he looked toward the entryway, his mind for a flicker not recalling what she was referring to. The truth of it came to him as he remembered the expert nature of the craftsmanship. Talanwei and the others looked lifelike in their icy iterations. He had marveled at their construction alongside Elvin. The Achadiel’s eyes widened as he looked at Tiffany with excitement.

"You…did you craft those sculptures?" asked Talanwei smiling brightly. If this were the case, he would be suitably impressed at the young woman’s skill. Even if she only assisted in their creation it would surprise the would be paladin.
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Post by Fauna Winthrope »

It felt like old times all over again, the good all days when everything was simple and innocent and Fauna relished the old feeling inside her lost and tainted heart. She smiled, a smile that was sincere and she'd never felt this happy before. Perhaps, it was vanir, or perhaps, it was the presence of Pan that he exuded, but the dark enchantress basked in the aura of Vanir and the way he touched her and played the Aether on her skin.

"Truly, these are dark times, Vanir." Fauna agreed and a small trace of frown crept up to her brows. "So many things had changed. Once the pendulum swings, it will never leave you the way it was before and though it will swing back, it will not stop exactly in the same space it was when all things began. Perhaps, I can visit you in the Temple and you can continue teaching me the ways of Pan, your most Holiness." The dark enchantress replied and gave him a small, vibrant laughter.

ooc: Waiting for Ulder and Elaine to finish with ther side thread.

"Sir Ulder," Fauna began and gave the man a serious look. "Perhaps, this is the time to offer you my apologies. Things were said in the heat of the battle that we really don't want to say." Though her apology was sincere, they both know that things will never be the same, the die had been cast and they both sat in an opposite fence.

"And Lady Bannon," the dark enchantress turned to the blind poet and a look of regret passed her falwaless, amunic face. Fauna knew that things between them were now strange, but seeing the glow and radiance upon Elaine's face, the blond woman could only smile at how lucky the achadhiel was. "It is nice you to see you again." It was all Fauna could say and emotions choked her down. She wasn't sure if the woman would permit her to touch her and she hesitated, desperately wanting to touch and hug the only friend she had for the last time.
"Cruelty has a Human Heart,
Jealousy a Human Face,
Terror the Human Form Divine,
and Secrecy the Human Dress."

-- William Blake
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Apparently he had guessed incorrectly again, but it appeared her thirst had won the battle, though his victory was a Phyrric one. He took the mug she handed to him, and took a sip from it as she urged him to, but she captured his arm and walked him away so he refrained from pouring the contents down his throat as his proximity to the drinks table diminished.

He sat down next to her as she found a spot on a bench, and listened silently as she spoke about the Slayer, and the fact that her employer would like him gone. What sort of person had business in the Outer Ring?

"Business in the Outer Ring? That hardly sounds particularly profitable. Or, at least, not profitable enough to justify presence at an embassy party." Corbin said dryly. "And what might his line of business be, exactly?" Corbin didn't wait for a reply before he continued. "As for the Slayer, don't you worry, I have no intention of letting him plague the city for much longer. I do not require rewards for the capture of the Slayer. We Dillons are no mercenaries." Corbin said seriously, had Red known him longer he would perhaps have been insulted at the suggestion, but she had only just made his acquaintance so it would be churlish to hold a grudge. "I have no time for someone that hurts innocent people, and even less time for someone that hurts innocent women. When they are vulnerable, innocent women like the Slayer's victims it makes my blood boil. I look forward to inducing a more literal version of that in whoever is behind these murders." He announced earnestly, the playful Corbin gone for a moment, before it returned again.

"Now as for a reward for my correct guess, I think that given the large number of drinks I could have gone for it should be something rather rare." He announced, lifting his hand to his chin as if in deep thought before he announced his decision. "I think a kiss would be the only suitable reward for my endeavours. I am sure you would agree." He said with a wry smile and a hint of raised eyebrows.
Morg

Post by Morg »

To be fair to him, Morgan did consider fleeing. But he only got as far as putting his mug of ale down before Becca returned the favour - and in the process removed his hat. On the third tug it yielded to her insistent twitching and withdrew its claim to the warding student's head, flopping grumpily down to the ground where it glowered darkly at passers-by, its plans thwarted for the moment.

Morgan was blushing, too. He hadn't felt this giddy since that time in Dort City when he'd drunk three pints of Dragon's Barrel Blue Ale without being fully aware beforehand of the nature of its effects. This giddiness wasn't accompanied by the nausea he'd felt that time, though, which was definitely a plus. He also wasn't quite as drunk as he had been that time. Whether that was a good thing or not remained to be seen.

He closed his eyes and concentrated on his other senses: the touch of their lips, the scent of her and the taste of dark ale. He definitely hadn't planned for this to happen. He'd definitely been hoping that it would happen, but he'd counted on it being much later in the evening and many more drinks down the line before he was sufficiently far gone to muster up the courage. Morgan had surprised himself, in effect. He'd also imagined some sort of... discussion beforehand. On reflection, he decided that it was better this way. The preamble was what he had been looking forward to the least, mostly due to his desire not to get beaten into a bloody pulp.

His arms, at some point, had moved to encircle her waist, drawing her closer to him as he leant into their kiss. All sorts of little things clamoured for his attention. The texture of her skin, and the soft brush of her eyelashes close to his own. The noise of two ale mugs clinking together reached him from impossibly far away, as if sounding from the Aether. The height difference between them seemed optimal. The structural integrity of his codpiece, which he'd stopped worrying about as soon as he set out, was now a pressing concern once again. Her bare shoulders, when he opened his eyes again, presented a pleasantly pale landscape far below him.

But is it as good as magic? A part of him, the quantitative, logical part of him, was demanding to know. After a quick weighing up of the pros and cons of each, he decided that, on balance, it probably was.

A stubborn gleam appeared in his dark eyes, and he redoubled the intensity of his kissing and tightened his hold around her waist. This time he wouldn't be the one to back down first.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

ooc
To avoid confusion: since we just left a conversation with Acantha we have had no time to leave to the gardens AND come back again. When we leave, we will post this, of course. As such there is no beaming, no flushing (except from the warmth) and no glowing...just yet :)
I will still react to the people addressing us as if they meet us before going out, since otherwise nothing would make sense anymore.

ic
When the professor left them there was hardly time for a breath. Elaine hooked her arm into Ulder's when Elvin's message reached her ears, stopping her from reacting to the situation at hand.

"Hello, little sister, I'm glad you're safe... Enjoy this night and enjoy your love. It's good to see you safe. We'll talk later enjoy the company of the one most dear to you and be safe! May the Mother guide and keep you. I ealiu eafianiu ta ea amhadhea..."

She smiled, lowering her head for a moment. So he was here and he was okay. They had been through a lot together and he was responsible for her not collapsing into a heap of insanity.

With no clue whether it was going to work or not the young woman tried to hitchhike back on the strand that Elvin sent her: "Thank you. Mother smiles at you."

At the next blink of an eye Vanir and Fauna were moving in rapidly. For a moment Elaine felt like fishfood in a very crowded pond. "Vanir, hello. I guess you could say things are looking up again. And I am sure you will understand if I do not go into the details around here. How are you keeping yourself? And Fauna? A good evening to you as well."

She didn't dare ask Fauna how she was. The woman had betrayed her trust, had squandered the friendship over actually wanting to have a demon's powers and had even hinted at wanting her killed. No, it wasn't nice to be around her. It was not nice not knowing when Fauna would turn around and show her powerhungry side again. The woman needed help and she would not accept it.

Silently Elaine wished Vanir more luck than she'd had.
There is so much to see, yet so few willing to.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

At seeing Fauna and Vanir, Ulder tried to put his best foot forward. The Priest of Pan had ran rather roughshod over the former Captain the last time they were face to face, and Fauna and Ulder had never seen eye to eye about anything yet.

"Father Vanir. Miss Winthrope."

"We have fared as well as could be under the circumstances. I could bore you with a long description and too many details, but suffice to say that now that Elaine is safe, everything turned out the way we wanted it."

Ulder felt for the ring in his pocket, trying not to fidget.

When Fauna spoke her apology, the former Captain regarded her coolly.

"Apology accepted then Miss Winthrope. I hope our disagreements have met an end."

It was his sincere desire, despite any hard feeling he harbored. Ulder felt no need to apologize to her. In his mind, she had acted shamefully as the Daemon hunt commenced, and he was not sorry or regretful for anything he said that day. It was cold, brutal truth, but Ulder didn't trust her as far he could throw her, and one apology wasn't going to make up for weeks of strange and disruptive behavior from her.

As their attention shifted to Elaine, he managed to look around and see some of the other guests, including a large crowd around the Duke.

A shark in a sea of little fish...
[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=404]Ulder's Compendium[/url]

[size=67]Avatar by permission of Amok. http://en.amokanet.ru/[/size]
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

"My doors are always open to you, Fauna. Visit me at the Temple anytime and I shall teach you want I can." The priest smiled at the curvy blonde as they walked away from the Duke.

Vanir is a bit surprised by the reactions Fauna recieved from his old friends. He nods his head to Ulder and can tell the time has been rough on everyone. The priest seems smaller and weaker than the last time they met, although it was because of his meditation that he had not eaten in over a week. He seemed quite concerned over the couple and their tension with his old companion. Fauna seemed to handle herself well, but wondered what lay beneath the surface.

"Time has been hard on us all, let us only rejoice in being able to see each other once more, not all were afforded such luxuries." The message was somber and guarded, knowing Elaine would understand him better than most. "We would do well to mourn those we lost, while looking to more pleasant times. It seems much has changed since I have been away, but there will be plenty of time for the past another day. Let us look to the future and enjoy the present at this wonderful celebration. I could not help but notice the wonderful sculptures of you at the front. What did you think?" Vanir was trying hard to keep the mood light and festive. The priest absently sent a large wave of passion and lust over Fauna, keeping her calm at his touch.
[color=green]Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something right." [/color]

Avatar by the wonderful Finn. Much thanks!!

Post by Guest »

Her dark eyes brightened. "You are exactly as I sculpted you." Tiffany was even more proud of her work as she grinned. "It was a wonderful project. So many brave people to battle the demon." She looked about to check for any eavesdroppers, "Could you tell me a bit more about it? I mean, I don't get to hear much of the news outside of my father's home because he believes it is not for delicate ears such as mine, but that is just silly."

The smile warmed up as she studied Talanwei for a moment. "I wondered how each of your personalities were like and I really could not believe I bumped into one of my subjects. Well...run into...you know what I mean. Please, tell me what did the demon look like? Were you frightened?" She drew in closer for Talanwei to tell the story to her as if they spoke of the weather and she tried to hide her excitement to learn more.
Rosalie Marcada
Baroness Marcada, Ambassador World's Mouth

Post by Rosalie Marcada »

Isis arched her perfectly shaped brow when Rosalie chose to describe the Major Domos physically, before focusing on his mind. He and I are so much alike. I wonder if he has some special bedside tricks with which he makes the women lose their mind over him? Such thought were never voiced, her finger pointing at the glass of wine and then beckoning a servant to carry it to her which he did quite swiftly, trying his best not to ogle the near naked lady. "Oh, just curious really. I have been supporting his bid for the position of the Caesar and was wondering if perhaps there was something you could do to help with it. I hear you are soon to be wed with Baron Marcada and my Vizier tells me he is good friends with Duke Erwin. If his votes could be swayed, Major Domos would be the new Caesar. And I am sure he would know to reward your assistance."

Rosalie's face maintained a hint of smile but her eyes were still when she airily said "The Mouth always seeks to extend a hand of friendship and we are not opposed to Lord Azarin's candidacy, yet we would not want to interfere in Imperial Internal Affairs. Perish the thought."

Rosalie tried a look of innocence that never reached her eyes "Of course you know we are a city of merchants, and they can be so simple. Promises of support are easily made and easily broken. They want to see profit. Perhaps I can arrange that. The question will be.. are you.. is the Empire.. ready for it? Great things could be build from a closer relationship."
[size=84][color=darkred]This character has resigned and is now a NPC.[/color]
Mairi Armstrong
Envoy

Post by Mairi Armstrong »

"There were groups of Oneists landing in Islay," Mairi explained to K'mith. "Colonists, I think. It was yet another thing for the islanders to worry about. Who do they think they are, these followers of the One, trying to grab land wherever possible? They'd have a tough job converting most of the Clansmen, I can tell you that."

She had become slightly angry at remembering this outrage, and tried to calm herself down. It wasn't exactly the time for ranting.

"For myself...I suppose I want what anyone wants. A comfortable lifestyle, success in my chosen field...," she trailed off. She didn't really want to answer K'mith's next question.

"Well, my Lady, and what about you? What are your plans? Have you picked out any names for the baby yet?"
~The shadowy mountains and the echoing sea~
[size=75]avatar made from a photo by [url=http://www.sxc.hu/profile/alesia17]alesia17[/url][/size]

Post by Guest »

K'Mith caught Mairi's fiery response against the Oneist and nodded listening to every word. She caught the young lady's hesitation to her last question and her reaction was held in check as Mairi changed the topic. The Duchess did not push, for now and answered the Representative's questions.

"Well, probably hobble along until I accompany my husband back to Dort for a time, but I shall be back sometime in Chyril. By then, I believe the child will be ready to come out. As for names, never been good with boy names." She rubbed her enormous belly and tilted her head a bit. "I have so many children. My husband may want to name this one." Her dark eyes gazed over to where the Duke had taken aside an adhiel with flaming red hair and then back towards Mairi.

"Perhaps, you might have a couple of spare male names for this child?" As she looked down at her enormous belly and then back to the representative of Islay with a smile.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

It could have been a mere act, but if it was the Duke was a damn good actor, his lavender eyes resting on Fialessa's face, his features set in an expression of light attention as she all but admitted the Panling decay, though described it as a thing of the past. For a flicker or two he remained silent, seemingly pondering something, though what it was he never said. Instead, the Duke's eye turned towards where Vanir still stood in Fauna's company and he altered the subject just barely.

"I take it you are working alongside Master Alfheim?" He paused as if allowing her to reply, but went on a moment later. "I would advise you to keep an eye on him." He smiled and shook his head just barely. "Nothing to worry about, but I am not too certain of how dedicated he will be. How willing he would be to change his own ways, after having followed the decadent path your religion has taken for so long." Next his chin indicated the blond sorceress at his side and he went on. "And I would advise you warn him to mind the company he keeps. You can ill afford to make enemies and that woman has quite a number of those." Here he sighed and his smile turned almost apologetic. "But, I am certain you know all that. Just be careful, my dear. Your God, or more precisely his followers have made quite a few enemies and they have been successful in crushing you nicely. Be wary of the lure of vengeance. While it may be tempting, you need to rebuild, not strike back. Forgiveness is less costly than war at times."

With most of the guests already at the party, and the rest not likely to come at all, Thavia had handed her list to the Sergeant and strode into the garden to join the others. Her sparkling eyes passed over the gathered people and with a smile she noted quite a number of young pairs seeking solitude, or not even that, simply being carried away by the music and the relaxed atmosphere. The young daughter of Thomas Crane, caressed the face of young Talanwei, the experienced Embassy secretary, suppressing a chuckle at the though how heroes did always get a girl. The sight of Corbin and Red only strengthened the warm, fuzzy feeling in her chest. Then she saw Morgan and Becca and almost melted on the spot, tilting her head at the sight, wiping a stray tear that threatened to ruin her makeup. She needed a hero of her own to hold her in his strong arms and preferably kiss her passionately before the night was over. Incidentally, at that same moment the University Bailiff left Barrett's side, and the buxom greeter weaved her way towards the Querist. She stopped just short of him, and smiled, silently watching him probably for the first time they have met. Her eyes looked at him almost hopefully, a slight dark smudge of kohl marring her otherwise perfect makeup where the tear had rolled from her eye.

The question regarding just what her boss did for a living, was one that Red had been asked many times before and while she was tempted to make an exception this time and tell the truth, she opted to only say a part of it, letting the man next to her draw conclusions from that. "Mister Crane owns several taverns and inns in the Outer Ring and while that is not the most profitable part of his business it is still an important part. That is how he started and expanded into trade from there. And it is his friendship with Baron Marcada and through him with Duke Erwin that earned him an invitation." Gone was her playful tone, just like Corbin's and while she did not appear insulted it was clear that Red chose to take the matter seriously. "And nobody said you had to accept the reward, nor called you a mercenary. It is just that most people are not as selfless as you and need incentives to put themselves into danger's path. And Slayer is quite dangerous judging from his previous exploits."

Her eyes were looking into his as his voice got back its jesting tone, her expression melting into an amused smile, the girl finding herself unable to at least smirk in Corbin's presence, her own brows going up in mock surprise at his suggestion. "Well, if you think a kiss would be a suitable reward, I think I will probably have to agree. Though I am afraid that you will have to take it yourself. That is unless you are afraid to what it might lead? So, tell me Corbin, does your courage hold firm still, as it did when you faced the demon?" The smile was still there, a single reddish brow arched in a dare, her hand pressed against Corbin's chest, pushing against it lightly, ready to resist his attempt at a kiss, or at least pretending to do so.

Isis may have been a haughty woman, but she was not entirely inept at diplomacy, and while Nu'Phuat might have been a better choice for this conversation, she too was quick to jump at the opportunity. No more was Madam Consul treated as an underling, the Amunic Ambassador slowing down her steps and smiling genuinely this time. "Oh, but I am sure the new Caesar would be willing to hammer out the right terms and perhaps some of his subjects would be willing to offer an example as a show of faith to your people. The only question that remains is what would be a suitable example and whom should receive it? Any suggestions regarding that, Madam Consul?"
Last edited by Grey Wolf on Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Barrett
Priest of Aurelius - Querist

Post by Barrett »

After the brief exchange with Master Kwyll, Barrett found himself alone for a bit - his companions having sorted themselves out in various pairings.

Wasn't this what the whole effort had been about? the surest cure for the taint that had fallen over Citadel was love and good will, friends family... all of that intangible stuff that usually did not play much part in the decisions of the Querist.

He though of his family back in Dort: was this the closest he would ever get to returning there? Could he face them with the old boyish smile, knowing all that he had learned of the world - or worlds?

Of course, that was assuming he survived this night's mad quest. The chances were not good. He did not, for instance, share Simon's certainty that his status as a priest would offer any clear advantage in the Aether. Nor was he certain what he would do if he obtained the Shard... The Oracle had not given him advice after all - only more questions. The fates of gods and men were woven into these events. Had they saved Citadel from Changer only to have all lost to chaos and war?

There was a tear on his own cheek as he thought these thoughts. So inappropriate for this joyous celebration. But he was helpless, caught under the weight of the tasks that awaited and of the possibilities, the unpredictable patterns, that would spin out of events not spoken of.

Caught in an invisible web of his own manufacture, Barrett never saw Thavia approach. Afraid that any more time spent here would lessen his resolve, the brooding priest drew close his magickal shields and fled the party.
Fialessa Valenstri
Panling Priestess

Post by Fialessa Valenstri »

“I’m thinking to do so, yes.” She replied simply before he went on. Concern coloured her features momentarily as he seemed to be… well not exactly warning her but… Fia just listened as it became clearer as he spoke. Apparently it seemed Vanir had a rather hedonistic reputation. And was it concern the duke was showing, what interest truly did he have for preserving the Panlings.

As he continued on and mentioned the buxom blonde, she nodded. She would try to remember that, though she hadn’t known before - not actually knowing the woman he spoke of. Though apparently a friend of Vanir’s. The rest of what he said had her nodding once more in agreement. “Yes, I cannot help but agree with you on that point. Sadly I think Pan’s children are divided on just that. It will no doubt be a struggle to convince some that it to yield is not a weakness. There will be no one left to teach the song of Pan if we all go off to fight, better to live and begin again. I think maybe I understand what it is your grace is trying to say… I only hope I am strong enough to carry such messages.”
[i][color=black][size=84]There is a fine line between coincidence and fate...

[url=http://hito76.deviantart.com/]Avatar is 'Karelle' from the drawing Intimite by Hito, used with permission.[/url][/size][/color][/i]

Return to “Patrician's Ring Archive”