The Punt Den ~ Chyril 22nd ET/GT

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Post by Guest »

Harmony smiled somewhat vaguely, being well aware that Hieronymous was dead. She was somewhat irritated to find that Niccolo was in fact -not- an idiot, and searched the man's body before moving on. How many times had something found in a man's discarded pants as he slept that had proven useful? Apparently such scrutiny was not a trait unique to prostitutes: even union members had such sense.

"That's too bad. It's a shame there's not a healer from the Prodesse here. I'm sure thy could fix him up rather quickly." The woman shrugged aimlessly, not sure what to do. In truth she felt only dazed and angry, but too much of the former to act on the latter. Tonight had been, if nothing else, plan-altering. No longer did she have her former employer to depend on for protection or for assistance, and no longer did her path up the ladder seem as clear. "I wonder if somehow this will find its way into the second volume of Allegories," Harm smiled and gave a laugh which did not match her countenance in the slightest.

It struck her then, though, that although she had lost her boss and an easy way in, she also had nobody to report to anymore. It made her free, albeit vaguely useless. The blonde's brows furrowed as she thought on this. The anger dissolved somewhat as Harmony considered what had truly changed and how she might move forward. Her plans remained largely unchanged: she would still infiltrate the Nashorn, because knowledge of technology was still a powerful commodity. Perhaps she could simply sell what she discovered to the highest bidder. Perhaps the information would simply skyrocket her to power.

For now, all she needed was a way in and time to study the books which remained back in her room. There had to be some sort of plan she could work out.

With a sigh and a mild shrug, Harmony would move to exit the Den, staring daggers at anyone who stood in her way. She wasn't, afterall, completely extinguished of her sense of righteous anger.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morg

Post by Morg »

"No need to worry on that front, signore Alvero," Remmel replied immediately and smoothly. "I accept your offer. It's a generous one. More than I deserve."

Although who ever gets what they deserves in the Mouth's underworld?

Well, perhaps Hart did, tonight.

Remmel was under no illusions. With Hart and Puck dead, he himself was the only man in Southbridge with the potential to maintain any semblance of order in the criminal circles of the city. The fact that Niccolo seemed to be letting him live meant that the Union's director didn't want to eliminate organised crime in the Mouth entirely - which, after all, would be a task akin to wrestling gelato. Although he was still uncertain of what the man really intended, he could be reasonably sure that it wasn't that.

Meanwhile, Madam Panicci scowled and turned away from Niccolo as it became clear she wasn't going to get any help from that quarter. In desperation, she played the one card she still believed she held. "Joya," she boomed, "if you do not tend to the orc's wounds this very flicker, you will no longer be welcome in my establishment."

The blonde girl looked up at her in disgust. It didn't take her more than that flicker to make up her mind. "Then I quit," she stated icily, and swung herself around to leave. "Give my regards to the other girls." With that, she made her way to the front door. A single Union guard moved to stop her, but she muttered a word and waved her free hand and the man recoiled clutching at his temple. Panicci frowned mightily, then hurried over to Darug herself.

Harmony's egress wasn't as successful as Joya's, as a ULT man moved to intercept her as soon as she left the group at the bar, placing himself squarely between her and the exit. His padded armour remained sadly unpenetrated by the woman's ocularly projected blades. "We need you to stay a while longer, signora," he informed her. "In case the Director wants to talk to you."

Vittoria chuckled derisively at Mezatino's claims, although her facial features settled back into slightly more of a grin than before. "Yeah, well," she stated in a rich voice as she worked, binding up the gash wound in Mezatino's leg before turning to the deeper one on his shoulder. "Class or no class, if you want some of this," she gestured immodestly to her own insufficiently clothed form, "you'll have to pay just like anyone else. I'm just here to get you boys patched up."

As she spoke, the bulky man who'd been collecting Mezatino's loot dumped the satchel on the table next to him. He didn't say anything, but just hung around expectantly.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Hastarl Ras'diath
Simaldi hand

Post by Hastarl Ras'diath »

With his ears sharpened Hastarl listened to that went on around him. Although, it was difficult to separate the conversations going on, he managed to get an overview of what was going on at the moment. The Orc was apparently heavily wounded and somehow a lot of women had entered the Den since he was knocked unconscious. When Harts name was mentioned he directed all his attention to the direction from wich the name came.

Hart's passing ... unavoidable ... involved ... beyond him ... intractable to adapt

When, based on what he'd heard, he realized that Hart was finished, he felt his heart beat heavily. If I ain't lucky, this might look really bad. Dangerous business indeed. Knowing he couldn't lie and feel sorry for himself he directed his attention once more to the two men speaking. He needed to know what would happen next. Apparently one of the two, called Remmel, was to take over the business of the Den. Perhaps I should get to know him one day if I get out of here in one piece. He was not yet certain of what would happen to him.

Meanwhile he had heard a familiar voice near him. The young with which he had planned the transport and had stabbed in the leg. I might want to remain this way, not to confront him at the moment. He might not be happy with it, although he doesn't sound that regretful of his position. Hastarl chose to remain prone, but he knew it would only be a matter of time before he was forced to wake up and show clear signs of consciousness. However, for the moment this worked.

Hastarl had never been at all devoted to any deity or of the religious type. This might change for the future, as he deep in his heart send a minor prayer to Krynsathis, god of luck, to get him put of here. This happened with Hastarl almost unaware of it. More of a subconscious reaction to what he thought might end his days, which might be a little overexaggerated.
[i]"Abandon the Search for Truth... Settle for a Good Fantasy"[/i]

Quote [url=http://www.rpggateway.com]RPGGateway[/url]
Mezatino
Criminal at large

Post by Mezatino »

Mezatino chuckled to himself at the whore's words. "Well," he looked down at his hands as he broke up nicely sized nugget. Turning it into a nice fluffy shake, disposing of the seeds and stems in a tankard on the table behind him. Then he took the hemp and packed it into his pipe which he handed to the ULT thug. With the whore he continued, "as far as I've ever been concerned, dinner and a bottle of nice wine is just as good a payment, if the pleasure afterwards is not."

The fact that she was actually ignoring his charms and expecting money in the end, was a complete turn off to Mezatino. He didn't mind paying for it, in the end everyone wound up paying for sex in some kind of way. But this Vittoria, this whore, was overtly blunt about expecting silver and gold. "Who knows," he picked up the satchel of loot he'd been given and started rifling through it to take in everything looted. "Maybe I'll stop in sometime."

He sat there for a few moments just waiting for her to finish binding his wound, when suddenly an idea came to him. The achadhiel was clearly not going to be his heist accomplice anymore. If he was to still carry out his contract, well he would need someone. Why not a burly ULT thug who could handle himself, and clearly like Mezatino to a certain extent. "I'm Mezatino." He said as he reached out for a handshake. "I was wondering, would you be interested in some free-lance work...uhm...you know I never did catch your name!"
Last edited by Mezatino on Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let me tell you this, the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

DAZED & CONFUSED
Niccolo
Director of the ULT

Post by Niccolo »

It would have to be enough. Remmel couldn't be entirely trusted...but then, Nico didn't make it a habit to trust much of anyone.

That wasn't to say that Nico was incapable of trust. He trusted Mario, his ox, and he trusted his dear mother, of course. But beyond this, Nico found himself incapable of trust, largely because he had yet to find anyone who truly understood him. Everyone he met had some kind of personal hang-up...whether it might be the West End thugs that assumed Nico was some minion of Hart, or perhaps the Syndicate who would naturally assume he was little more than a small time gangster. The Council largely assumed that Nico's pretense at Selfless, Humanitarian Endeavors through the Union was little more than a confidence trick. Even the people around him now...both 'friend' and 'enemy' alike...would all believe Niccolo Amadicci Alvero to be here for power...here to replace Hart...but nothing could be further from the truth.

Oh well, thought the Merchant Lord, nodding once towards Remmel before turning to survey the remainder of the room. If nothing else, Remmel could be trusted to be Remmel. Give him a long enough leash and enough reward to stay happy, and he would...stay happy. The same could be said for most of the underworld operators, from Remmel to Panicci to the bloody crook laying on the table right now (who, despite his grievous injuries, appeared to be flirting with his care giver...a true sign of confidence and optimism). They were all interested in the power and wealth to be had here. So give it back to them, he thought. Nico wasn't interested in the Punt Den or the Underworld or the idiots that truly believed that riches and power could be had here in the dirty streets of Southbridge. In the light of day, it was clear to see that power in Southbridge amounted to nothing. No band of crooks could have pulled off the horrifying heist that plunged Pan's Isle into civil war. That took real power...and that was the power Nico sought.

And I'm not alone, imagined the Merchant Lord, as he watched Joya make her sudden departure. She would land on her feet, of course...no doubt shift over to the new Lillies operation in the Southern Marchlands. I must make a note to call upon her soon, decided Nico. After all, he needed to explore the new operation in the old Paninni Estate and decide whether they were useful or not. Either way, Joya would find a home and steady pay there...so it would matter very little.

The golden-haired spy was another matter. She would no doubt understand how tonight's events were little more than a subtle maneuver in a much wider game. After all, Niccolo knew her to be a spy...and a spy for a far more dangerous enemy. While Nico nodded subtly to clear Joya to depart, he did no such thing for Harmony...the golden-haired lady...and decided that she would be the next he would visit.

"Oh no, Mademoiselle..." for reasons unknown, Nico somehow placed her from Roque...and so he recalled what few terms he could remember from that region. Even if he were wrong, the term would still be appropriate. "You must not take your leave so quickly. Not until we've had a chance to...talk."

Hooking his bloody hatchet into his belt just under the broad back of his coat, Niccolo turned to address the would-be departing lady. "I...believe we have met. Under far better circumstances," he began, offering Harmony a simple, unusually brief bow and a smile that seemed as if it were cut from granite: Perhaps civil, but far from human. "I am, Signor Niccolo Amadicci Alvero. We once shared a bench in Council Hall...perhaps last Autumn. I forget to which family you were associated, but I'm absolutely certain you'll be more than pleased to tell me...along with the purpose of your visit here tonight?"
<i>Non me fare domande, e non ti dico menzogne.</i>
"ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies"
Morg

Post by Morg »

Although he was in the warm, stuffy confines of the Punt Den, Darug could feel an unnatural coldness coming over him, punctuated only by stabs of burning pain from his belly. Even the phenomenal regenerative powers afforded him by his orcish physiology weren't enough to save him from the fate he was experiencing. No matter how many bandages Sarah and Madam Panicci wrapped around his midriff, the blood kept on seeping through... but that wasn't the worst of his troubles. Hart's blade had penetrated his large intestine, and the toxins contained therein were slowly spreading into his bloodstream. Only a miracle could save him now.

Madam Panicci seemed to realise this, emitting a sound that would have been a frustrated shriek had her mouth been open. Sarah couldn't be spared, and in any case none of the whores would have been able to undertake the task she was about to undertake. She stepped decisively back from the orc's agonised form, announcing "I am going to the Prodesse to fetch a healer. You." She pointed at Piedro Hansati, and smiled a bittersweet smile. "I would appreciate it if you accompanied me."

Hansati glanced around, specifically seeking the approval of Niccolo, but unless the Director specifically instructed against it he would follow the brothel madam out of the Punt Den and through the cold streets of World's Mouth, sword at the ready. Madam Panicci was not someone to get on the wrong side of, unless you were sure you had the clout to do so safely.

Vittoria smiled indulgently at Mezatino's sentiment, but didn't respond directly. "You'd be more than welcome," she replied with a teasing smile to his suggestion that he might come in. It was true, too. In her line of work she couldn't afford to be picky, but her job was so much easier and more enjoyable if the client was at least moderately attractive, and the tattooed young man certainly fitted the bill. She finished binding his wounds, swabbing the upper torso wound clean before she covered it and moved on. Although still a little light-headed and caked from head to toe in Puck's drying blood, Mezatino was now in a stable state. The blood from the wound to his shoulder soon soaked through the bandage, but other than that he was fine.

The ULT guard, meanwhile, took the pipe and inhaled deeply, grinning. He was a big man, with hair cut short nearly to his rounded scalp and wearing a scarred leather breastplate. His bulging forearms were bare, revealing a tattoo of the Eye of Dominicus on one and a heart on the other. "Enrico Lanciotti," he replied, taking Mezatino's hand and shaking it roughly. He lowered his voice as he continued. "And... er... I might be interested, amico, yeah... just so long as it doesn't conflict with the Chief's interests, capisce? You've seen what happens when you get on the wrong side of him."

The satchel wasn't exactly full to bursting. A small money pouch contained three crowns, two coronets, three circlets, a lance and seventeen banners, and alongside it was a keyring. Three smaller iron keys were attached to it, and a massive bronze key, as well as a medium-sized, ornate brass key. Of weapons there were many: no less than five well-balanced throwing knives and two tiny but brutally curved stilettos and a viciously curved crescent-moon falcetto. A few scrunched-up pieces of parchment were there too, mostly too bloodstained and scrawly to read, especially with Mezatino's fairly limited literacy. Only one immediately stood out as decipherable.

A swift, swirling hand wrote:Signore,

Further to your enquiry into the information we have available and the prices we charge, I can confirm that organisations such as the Purificatio, the Colleges of Magick and even the Lycaeum are not outside our scope. Given your amico's unique position among the families of the Mouth, we would be pleased to offer you preferential rates for your patronage upon presentation of this missive, and look forward to a prosperous cooperation.

Yours,

Scullio

The collection was completed by a bulging cotton bag of tobacco.

Vittoria had reached Hastarl now. The immodestly clad, olive-skinned human courtesan looked the adhiel up and down appraisingly. "Are you... do you need any help, elf?"
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution

Post by Guest »

Harm felt her rage spike upward violently as she was delayed in her escape by the bastard man who had ruined her expected meteoric rise. Nonetheless, she supressed those emotions from showing on her face-- as any good spy would-- and simply raised an eyebrow at Niccolo, as he delayed her. She assessed him quickly, noting the weapon, the manner in which he addressed her, and his garb in that one quick glance. She knew who he was, of course, but she didn't particularly care much for the politics of finance, seeing as how it affected her own personal livelihood very little.

"Monsieur," Harmony began with a saccharine smile at the ULT Director, "I would love to answer any questions you might have of me." He knew her game well enough that it honestly didn't matter how she responded. This man might as well have been made of iron for all the impact she could possibly have on him with words. The blonde had met a few men like him, and of all the men she could possibly sleep with -they- were the most frightening. Scarier than the kemp addicts, or even of the low men who roamed the streets and never took their hands off of their daggers. At least one knew what to expect from them.

"Signor Alvero, I have been to many meetings of the Merchant Council, all of them tedious and quickly forgotten. I couldn't possibly be expected to remember all of the people I sat with, now could I?" It was a fair assessment, and in truth she really just didn't want to provide the man with any type of satisfaction. "I always have to tell people that I'm related to Maglio. Though I'm sure you know just how closely linked I am to the families of this city." Her tone was wry-- there was no sense in pretending she belonged to any of the families, and Niccolo already knew that. "It's because of that closeness that I spend so much time at the Council. I don't think being a concerned citizen is a crime, is it?"

"As for why I am here tonight, there's no reason. I came by to see old friends, though it doesn't look like we're going to be talking tonight." The blonde woman's brow furrowed not in anger-- her inner calm was still on target-- but rather in disgust at the sight of Darug dying. Hopefully he would get exactly what he deserved. "I had some very good news to share, but since it appears my rendezvous has been cancelled, I really must be getting home."

Harm cocked her head to the side and spread her saccharine smile once more. "Is there anything else you'd care to know, Signor? I really must be on my way home. I'm not as young as I used to be, and it's not as early as it once was. I'm sure I could make time to discuss things further at some other time, in a more... private venue, but I am growing terribly weary."

She made mental note that it was of some consequence that the Director had masterminded a murder of a gang master-- but said nothing about it. It was interesting information, and Harm was doing a very good job collecting information. It was, after all, her job.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mezatino
Criminal at large

Post by Mezatino »

“Oh trust me, I shall once certain business endeavors have been taken care of, mio divina!” Mezatino quipped at the lusty woman’s reply. Instead of immediately turning his attention back to Enrico, he turned his attention to his satchel. He was looking for his spare pipe and more hemp when he noticed all of his newly acquitted items. One of them, a particularly wickedly curved blade; which gave him an idea.

As before, he packed his bowl of hemp and struck it up, lavishing the deep inhale of the rich fumes. He snatched something out of the bag and tossed it to Enrico. “Some money amico! A circlet for your troubles! And a coronet to buy your mistress something gaudy!” Mezatino smiled broadly and did it all with a flair of grandeur. Then as it always was with him, Mezatino’s features went coldly business-like as matters were to be settled.

“I am the handler…meaning the go to person…for a certain thief. Usually my patron does not require assistance in his contracts, however this most recent one will be a bit of a problem.” He voice was low, almost a whisper, but he made sure that the laborer heard and understood every word. “To our knowledge neither Niccolo nor the ULT has their hands in any bondhouses of Northbridge, however if we are wrong, then please correct me. The item to be obtained is fairly large and heavy, enough for an accomplice and a cart to be involved. As for the specifics…well those will have to wait until I know if you’re still interested. If it tickles your fancy to know, you will come out of this contract with two coronets, a new friend of some notoriety, and quite possibly a nice item picked up from the mark.”

Mezatino leaned forward, leering intently at the man; effortlessly toking on his glass pipe without coughing up a lung. “So are you up for a game of five-finger procurement?”
Let me tell you this, the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

DAZED & CONFUSED
Niccolo
Director of the ULT

Post by Niccolo »

"Now who would dare to cancel a rendezvous with so lovely a creature?" interrupted Niccolo, gazing at Harmony with wide, almost indignant eyes. Glancing behind him, Nico pretended to inspect the scene once more. Hart? Did I kill anyone else worth meeting? No, probably not. "Oh, yes...the gangster. Well..." Nico turned back to consider the woman again. "I'm sure there is no crime in being a concerned citizen, and I'm sure absolutely every concerned citizen meets with a Crime Lord at one mark into Gravetide. After all, I did, didn't I?"

Madam Panicci wrote:"I am going to the Prodesse to fetch a healer. You...I would appreciate it if you accompanied me."
Distracted by Madam Panicci's declaration, Nico held out a hand. "No. Take the orc with you. Piedro, help her get Darug into a chase, and run him to the Prodesse at once with the Madam, if he can survive the move," amended the Director. "If they need to keep him for his recovery, inform them that the Union will finance his care. Once he is comfortable and in the priest's care, you should return home to your family. Salute, amigo."

Nothing returned Niccolo to a black mood faster than dealing with that particular injury. Nico never for a moment considered his own minor cut...something harmless and throbbing upon his ankle...in the light of the wounds visible in the Punt Den just now. It served to sour his humors and foul his patience.

His face suddenly turning to iron, the tall Merchant Lord's expression hardened aas he turned his attention back to Harmony. "Let me rephrase my initial question so we can dispense with the tiring, pointless portion of our conversation where you act stupid and I pretend to not care. It is one and a half into Gravetide. The only person you could hope to meet here, at this mark, was Hart. No concerned citizen who would avoid crime would do such a thing. That makes you either a desperate woman looking to earn money as a whore..." Nico glanced down at Harmony's clothes "...or an operator, probably already on someone's payroll. Since you're too damned timid to even speak your fucking name, it's pretty clear you're no whore...and if you were, you came to the wrong shop, anyway. Panicci's is a couple doors down, that way. So that only leaves one option...that of a somewhat timid operator, such as a messenger, a spy, or perhaps a gift."

The name Maglio might have held relevance...but Nico didn't have any reason to believe it. Everyone knew Maglio's name. He was, after all, the Magister Primus...the High Chancellor of World's Mouth. Nico had a meeting with the man scheduled tomorrow, and while it was possible that this girl was one of his agents, it seemed too unlikely. Perhaps she is...an expendable asset? thought Nico. If she had no affiliations at all...if she were out of pocket...then she could be Lost. Just like Tanaquil. Just like Bishop.

"So let me ask one more time before I decide what to make of you myself. And I assure you, Madam...you do not want me to reach my own conclusions in this. What is your name, and why have you come here?"
Last edited by Niccolo on Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

"Oh, my, Signore," Harmony continued, sounding exactly as sweet and naive as she had before Niccolo's small tirade. "You never asked for a name, so I assumed that you could simply guess everything about the situation from a glance, and it seems I was correct. Explanations are so blasé, in this day and age." That smile was there, still, not afraid of Niccolo. Fear of death was the burden of youth who were terrified at the thought they might not get to live their life out in full. Harmony was tired of life, and only existed by her own leisure. The thought of jumping into the Scillus was far from new to her.

Nonetheless, she knew that there was no option but to play ball with Niccolo. He was in control of the situation in complete, and as much as she despised him and intended to some day pay him back for his interruption of her ascent, there was no way around him.

"I am Harmony Cessant, and as you clearly are aware, I was here this evening to meet with Hieronymous, though it appears that my timing was more than slightly off." The blonde woman's sweet smile had dropped somewhere in the process, and her mind began to race slightly. If she was simply one of Hart's lesser henchmen then there was no reason for her to be allowed to stay alive-- with the crime lord dead, her life was basically forfeit, and Niccolo was not a man to keep an older woman around purely for her presence.

Harmony's smile rose again, only this time it was a twisted reflection of its former self. "I, however, am not in Hart's employ. It is instead a man named Simalde for whom I work." A total bluff, based on a name that she had only heard whispers over the past several months-- and she hoped that Niccolo knew nothing about. "However, Hart was supposed to be my intercessor, as Simalde is more than a little secretive. But now I have lost my go-between, thanks to your kind intervention Signore Alvero." Harmony kept her fury and disappointment under wraps, preferring to seem mildly disappointed and amused by the entire situation.

"Does that satisfy your curiousity, or will you also be requiring a full body search?" The last said with a wink, quite content with her belief that when a man was made of stone there was no sense in taking him entirely seriously.
Hastarl Ras'diath
Simaldi hand

He was still lying with the eyes closed when the young woman addressed him. Quite aware that he couldn't ignore her he rose, supporting on his elbow. A little too fast as he felt dizzy right after but with with his head clear he considered his physical situation and gave his response, quite unaffected that it was a whore addressing him.

"Mai head and tjest hurts laik the nether, but luckili enouff most of the blood isn't main." He spoke in a calm tone, as calm it could be while still not certain of what would happen to him. While in a position further above the ground than before he swiftly looked around to get an overview. Not much had changed except now he saw Hart on the floor. The second after he wished he never saw that. A pathetic view once great man, now lying with his manhood gone. Harts's gone. What will happen next. Several thoughts roamed Hastarls head barely noticing the woman next to him. Who would take over the position Hart maintained, or will there be any.?

Morg

Post by Morg »

Enrico Lanciotti hesitated and inhaled a comfortable noseful of hemp smoke. The thuggish guard had never been involved in thievery, and, if he remembered rightly, he'd once sworn that he never would be. But that was way back then, when he'd been a young man with big ideas. Now he had a heavily pregnant signora to look after, and he'd taken the job as a guard for the Direttore to help his financial situation, which would no doubt sink further once the child was born. Morally he objected to criminality in the strongest possible way, which was one of the reasons he'd agreed to remain with Niccolo in the Shrine Gardens when so many others had left. Hart and his activities were a menace to the city that needed to be stopped.

On the other hand, he was being offered two coronets.

Like so many Mouthies before him, he swiftly weighed the strength of his convictions against the possible financial rewards and decided in favour of the latter. "I'll do it, yeah," he replied to Mezatino in a low voice. "Just tell me where and when."

Vittoria brushed aside Hastarl's hair in a businesslike fashion and glanced at the bruise at his temple. Laying hands on his chest, she felt for the lumpy bruise there. "You'll be fine," she announced brusquely. "Get some ice on those bruises, if you can afford it." With that she moved away to one of the other injured men.

Piedro, meanwhile, saw the merit in Niccolo's words and nodded. Unless Darug were to intervene, he and Sarah would help the orc from the table and lead him outside to find a carriage.

(OOC: This thread is now passable for Hastarl, although please all note that no one is allowed to leave the Den just yet. Darug, you may post here once more if you wish, and then continue here when you are ready (unless you, er, have any objection to that, big guy).)
Last edited by Morg on Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mezatino
Criminal at large

Post by Mezatino »

Mezatino briskly smiled at Enrico's commitance. He could tell the man wan't all that thrilled with the idea, but he could also tell that the man was only doing it because he really use the money. Then again, the way the Mouth is run, everyone could use the money.

"Before the details let me say one thing." If at all possible, Mezatino became even more serious and grave, as he spoke. "My patron, Falcetto, is a very professional man. I mean it when I give you this warning." His words were a sharp whisper, cutting to the core. "If in anyway you try to fuck either him or me, the consequences will be dire. I don't like to admit it, but a few accomplices have tried. Thought they could make even more by pointing out the thief to authorities. All three of them disappeared, but not before their families were discovered in the Scillus or the slaughter houses.

Mezatino paused to make sure the not-so-subtle threat was well understood. "I'm not trying to call you a songbird of anykind. I just wanted to give you a full warning that Falcetto does not take his job lightly. I also warn you that should things not go as planned he will do everything in his power to ensure your safety, but if he deems you a lost cause, you will be left behind."

With the coldness abated, but still buisiness like, Mezatino continued to puff on his own hemp packed pipe. "As for the details. The job is the Northbridge Bondhouse at Ardemus Way an hour into gravetide. You will meet my patron somewhere near its a vascinity, but not directly beside it. Slightly suspicious if you understand. You will know it is him because he will be dressed very darkly, and of course, he will be using a mule and cart. He brings his own supplies, but you may need some too. I highly suggest you dress naturally, but darkly. Mostly shades of dark gray and dark blue, pure black is actually noticeable at night. Bring rope if you have any, some kind of club or black jack just in case you have to knock someone out. And if your up for it bring a knife in case you have to kill."
Last edited by Mezatino on Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DAZED & CONFUSED
Morg

Post by Morg »

Merda. What have I got myself into?

Lanciotti glanced around uncertainly. He'd never heard of this Falcetto, but that didn't mean anything. After all, three months ago no one had heard of Alvero, and yet here he was... There was also the possibility that Falcetto was a false name. Dominicus knew there were enough of those around in the Mouth. Bishop, Black Heart, probably Simalde himself... the underworld was full of men who did their dirty work under another name. Falcetto could be anyone from the Bishop of Highton to the Lich of the Gibbets. Too late now, anyway. Just grin and think of the coronets.

"Gravetide on the 23rd, right? Not tonight? Cos... now's probably not a good time," he queried, eying Mezatino's wounds. "Anyway..." He lowered his voice. "I'm still game. You can tell your patron I won't let him down."
Mezatino
Criminal at large

Post by Mezatino »

Mezatino sat back quite contently with a smile on his face once again. He also assumed a very jovial tone, again. "No, no tonight is definitely not in the cards. Falcetto specifically wanted it to be tomorrow night. You see, the package leaves the very next day. Things of value are almost always protected, but you see...Everyone seems to become more lax and irresponsible when they think they're in the clear. So my patron likes to snatch his contracts up at the last but most opportune time!"

Realizing the mention of protection may have scared the man, Mezatino quickly settled things. "I'm not saying you have to worry about twenty armed guards or anything. Considering what I and my patron have already scoped out on the situation, we believe there will be no guards. Maybe, just maybe, there will be one or two. However, we highly doubt it. If there are Falcetto can easily take care of them himself. So it should be absolutely no problem in the end."

Being the kind man he was, he emptied Rico's pipe out and repacked it for the man. "Now if you'll excuse me, I wish to stroll about the detainment cage!" He quickly stuffed his shirt and other belongings back into his satchel, and tossed the bag over his shoulder.

His leg was a little stiff, but he managed to walk okay. Well he thought so anyways. It was a nicely sized tavern, but he didn't walk very far. His route where slightly round about, but he made his way over to Vittoria and her newest patient. Leaning in he whispered saltily in her ear, "I shall be seeing you tomorrow, my dear. Look...beautiful." With that done and said, he ventured over to the bar where a few others were gathered.

"Quite the evening eh?" Mezatino quipped at the crew. "They wouldn't happen to have any absinthe in their cabinets you could pour me, good sir?" He said towards Rimmel. Having made his small introduction, he laid his satchel between his feet and seated himself on one of the remaining stools.

"Ah, Signorina! May I inquire as to how you have been since our last meeting?" Emiliana was clearly his newest conversation piece.

DAZED & CONFUSED
Niccolo
Director of the ULT

Post by Niccolo »

More lies.

But it was enough. Nico only considered the very few possibilities this Harmony could represent, and none of them lead to anything worthwhile. She couldn't actually be an agent for Simalde...the old man was getting sloppy, but not that sloppy...and based on her response, she wasn't an agent for anyone else, either. After all, if the young Merchant Lord had any real reason to believe that she was what she said she was, he would happily slit her throat here and now and be the better for it. No harm can come from killing her, thought Nico.

If Finley had been here, it would have happened, too. A brief nod...and short gesture...and she would have been escorted out to the nearby canal, slashed until she couldn't even be called human, and then tossed into the dark waters to float right out of Nico's awareness. It might have been the safe move...but Nico couldn't find any reason for it, and he certainly didn't feel compelled to do such a thing himself. And I'm fresh out of killers just now, he added to himself. Lucky girl. "Fine. Get out. And...don't be seen in here again," he finished, waving her through the door.

That was that. Nico was tired, and it was time to wrap this up. The only people left to see were the two operators...and of course, Emiliana, who he would question as well (if only to keep up appearances). Turning away from the blonde, he watched the human wander off to the bar. He'll need searched. It was the other man he wanted to see first...the halfie...so he approached where the little figure remained stretched out, his eyes still somewhat glazed. The Director was a little surprised to find that the little man was actually a full adhiel, a rarity in the Mouth.

"I think you'll live just fine, Signor. Look at me," murmured Niccolo, glancing over the adhiel for any signs of any real damage. He looked healthy, at least...no bleeding wounds, at the very least...though he must have taken a severe beating on the head. "Can you hear me well enough? I have a favor to ask of you," he began, glaring down at Hastarl's form critically, as if the man might suddenly die on the table.
Hastarl Ras'diath
Simaldi hand

Though lying down Hastarl was very well able to hear what happened around him. When the ULT-director spoke to him he felt anxious. This is it. I better answer. Slowly he opened his eyes and tried to focus on the man standing in front of him. "Ai think so tuu," he said, knowing the whore already had checked on him with positive results.

A favor? That sounds interesting. Not at all what he had expected. Didn't he realize I fought against him a while ago? It might be a trap or a penance. Whatever it was it woke Hastarls curiosity, however it increased his suspicion towards the proposer.

"A favor? What favor?" he responded a bit dizzy.

Niccolo
Director of the ULT

Post by Niccolo »

"When you get thirsty tomorrow, I want you to have a drink. Not here, though...I want you to go to a little dive in West End called The Lost Elf. I forget the bartender's name...it's not important. Just have a drink and chat for a bit," waved Nico casually. The goal was, of course, courtesy. It was important for the Merchant Lord to communicate to other local operators about the recent changes in management here in Southbridge. Nico didn't have any great opinion of the bitter dregs that haunted the West End, but they deserved to know.

While it was commonly held that the Council was racist, there could be some argument against such a belief: Nico had never beheld any of that kind of racism as yet. However, there was no debate at all about how the adhiel felt about any other race. Their racist hatred was undeniable and certain, and it had forced Niccolo to actually attend to the shape of one's features more than he had in the past. For this reason, sending an adhiel to the Elf Quarter was the only rational solution, though it seemed unlikely that anything useful would ever come of it. Profit and success were built on cooperation, not conflict...and until the West End gangs figured that out, they wouldn't be of any great interest to anyone.

"Now, the 'Den will be open tomorrow, and you're certainly welcome here anytime. I just need you to drop by that place for...social reasons. No secrets, unless you choose to keep them yourself. Ah..." Nico had to make an educated guess here. "And...in exchange for that favor, I'll offer you a piece of advice."

"After tonight, all of the local merchants..." by this, Nico could only mean the black market "...will be out of pocket until I bring 'em back into the fold...figure out which ones are trustworthy. The only safe merchant for No Questions Asked transactions is near here...a little place near the bonds run by a gentleman named Gregori Savanti. If you do any work in the next few days...and you need to cash out something hot...go there. He might also have a few items of interest to...working men...such as yourself."

"Do you have any questions, Signor? Does this suit you?"
Morg

Post by Morg »

"No problem, signore," Lanciotti echoed. "I can handle myself too. No problem." With his doubts now somewhat assuaged, the ULT guard took the pipe from Mezatino with a nod of thanks and moved away... even though it wasn't the prospect of armed opposition that scared him, but rather the prospect of being involved with this Falcetto.

Mezatino's quip didn't go down well with those gathered at the bar, especially the few of Hart's former lackeys who remained standing. They hadn't failed to notice that the young man had pitched in against them. Only Remmel spared him a cursory smile, and that was a distracted one, as he squeezed Emiliana's slim waist reassuringly. The well-dressed achadhiel woman seemed to have fallen quiet; perhaps the shock of the night's bloodletting had become too much for her.

"I'll take a look," Remmel replied, taking a cloth and wiping bits of Hidalgo off the spirits cabinets. In flickers a cup of the lime-green liquid was placed in front of Mezatino. No price was demanded, for the present at least.
Hastarl Ras'diath
Simaldi hand

Due to Hastarls lacking knowledge in the common language he didn't understand a lot. Mostly the names were clear to him, and he knew Niccolo wanted him to go to the Lost Elf tomorrow but all the politeness was out of his reach.

Taking orders was what Hastarl had been doing in the last few months, but the way the Merchant Lord ordered him was nothing he liked. He hardly knew the man. What he didn't like was especially the way he put it. It seemed like there was no answer to be given but yes. It was an authority Hastarl hadn't seem for a while.

He speaks to me as if we have known each other for a long or like if I am in his employ. Nevertheless he didn't show any signs of this. The anxiety which controlled him just a few burns ago was now gone, mainly due the relaxed and pleasant tone Niccolo spoke with. While Hastarl never understood every word of the common language he had to guess to most. It was here he payed attention to the tone of the voice.

However, he would never let anyone know of this. Despite Hastarls concerns he saw no option but to do what he was told. After a little pause he answered "Sure. Ai'll be ther'."

Mezatino
Criminal at large

Post by Mezatino »

Whether she was supposed to have been here or not tonight, Mezatino couldn't really tell. Either way, it seemed as if Emiliana was truly in shock at tonights happenings. So Mezatino left her alone, no more prying into her nature.

Casually he sipped at his green licquer. He loved the aniseed taste to it, but it was very strong. If he wasn't too careful, he could easily get drunk before Nico even questioned him.

Unsure of what to do as he waited...well he simply sipped and waited. No one at the bar seemed to interested in conversing with him. Their faces clearly showed it.

DAZED & CONFUSED
Niccolo
Director of the ULT

Post by Niccolo »

"Grazie," murmured Nico, backing away slowly. People had a tendency to talk, and if his intuition was correct...and it seldom failed him...the conversation in the Lost Elf tomorrow would be rather predictable. At least someone would know the truth...and that would service nicely. "Bon giorno," add the Merchant Lord, turning away to attend to the bystanders at the bar. He was growing tired, and he had to determine just how to handle them. Let them go. Just open the door.

That was the best bet. The only thing absolutely certain about any operator was a strong unwillingness to be searched, questioned, or detained...and it would be virtually impossible for Nico to find new associates if he were in that kind of practice. No, it was time to call an end to the eveningtide's events and leave before anyone new arrived. Indeed, the Director was very curious about which operators would offer their services...but this was not the time to ask, and it would be far better to throw open the doors, send them all home...and then see who came back. Or who comes to me directly.

But then, Nico did owe the confidence operator a favor. Favors were magnificent things that helped to build cooperation and associations, and nothing was more important to anyone seeking any kind of security in World's Mouth. For this reason, Nico moved to join Mezatino next, one bloody hand already digging in his coat pocket for his cards. "Signor, I'm indebted to you for your...assistance," began the Director...a joke in itself, since there was no real doubt just why the crafty rogue had thrown his lot in with the Union (the clever had no real trouble picking the chalk)...but it was as fine of an excuse as any to offer up that very cooperation. After all, anyone could end up in Caer Doom...and it would always pay to have a contact capable of opening doors.

"Take this..." Nico offered one of his many Union cards...one that actually had his name on it.
The Card wrote:Niccolo Amadicci Alvero,
Dn/oUnion of Laborers and Teamsters
#23, Silversmith Way, Highton, World's Mouth
Est. 1225
"I owe you a favor. When you need to collect, come see me."

That should do it...and that was all he needed for the night. The final step would be to dispense with the corpses...and then extract Emiliana in a way that would protect her from suspicion (a fairly easy practice considering that they had been a confidence team for some time). "Piedro!" Piedro left to the Prodesse with Darug...pick someone else "Ah...gentlemen, send word to the guards outside...we're about to leave. Have them summon up as many coaches they might find," ordered the Director, preparing to signal the withdrawal.
Mezatino
Criminal at large

Post by Mezatino »

Mezatino eyed the Directorre as he walked up to him and thanked him for his assistance in the night's matters. A smile spread widely as he was given a business card, since it isn't very often someone receives a name card after killing or watching a murder. He laughed to himself slightly, at the irony; MEZATINO: MURDER FOR HIRE. Oh well, he could definately kill, but his line of business was theft. Eitherway, perhaps Nico could find a use for him.

"No worries Signore, and thank you. I'll drop by on the 24th, however I'm hoping it is my...favors...that you shall be interested in."

Having said his peace and waiting to be let out by the guards outside, Mezatino dawned a black jacket from his satchel, then downed the rest of his drink.

DAZED & CONFUSED
Morg

Post by Morg »

It was Enrico Lanciotti who moved outside to alert the men there, and like a well oiled machine the ULT strike force went into action. The evening was over, that was for sure... and since no one seemed to be stopping them from leaving any more, several of the patrons chose that flicker to depart inconspicuously.

A few of the guards and the whores began to separate the living from the dead. Of the sixteen who had entered the Den with Niccolo, three were slain: one by Hastarl's knife to the jugular, and one by Hart himself with his sabre. The third was Louis, and the pale-faced barwench/whore who had first approached Niccolo was even paler now as she murmured "We couldn't stop the bleeding... it was too strong." Two more were badly wounded, but would pull through. One had been stabbed in the chest, and one in the back, a man who had originally been guarding the front door.

On Hart's "side" the damage was far more severe. Puck and Stark were both beyond recovery, murdered by Mezatino and Piedro respectively. Two more of Hart's goons had also been killed. The bartender Hidalgo was also clearly dead, and another corpse had been dragged in from outside. Of those remaining, one man was heavily bandaged and another still unconscious from the blow he'd been struck as he tried to surrender. The night had claimed nine lives.

Curiously, none of the whores moved to help Niccolo with his own injury, despite the blood soaking the cloth at his ankle and despite the influence they stood to gain by getting into his good books. Even the pretty, pragmatic Vittoria steered well clear of the man who'd brought this death to the Den.

(OOC: Time, gentlemen, please. ;) I think we're nearly done here; you may post here once more if you wish, and I'll wrap this up at the weekend. Thanks for the fun carnage! :D)
Niccolo
Director of the ULT

Post by Niccolo »

Nodding once to the unnamed operator, Nico suppressed a smile. Not only was it a good answer, it was the right answer. Associations might thrive on profit...but they were born from favors, and Nico never had enough allies. With any luck, he would see the operator again.

Inspecting the room once more, Niccolo tried not to examine Emiliana too closely. He wanted to drag her out with him. He wanted to say something to her, perhaps an apology...perhaps an explanation. Hart wasn't supposed to fight...that was not the plan, and he had assured her that it wouldn't happen. The Director might have handled matters differently if he had known just how far gone the Underworld King had become...but mistakes were inevitable. Mistakes that cost nine lives.

In the end, Nico would offer nothing. She can handle herself, he repeated to himself, turning to walk out of the Punt Den. If he gave her any notice now...any notice at all...then the con would be blown, and she would lose whatever currency she had built all at once. Everything depended upon appearances, both for Niccolo as well as Emiliana...and until Darug was better, things could get dicey. Unless this new operator is a killer. And killers are precious rare in my experience.

Without another thought, Nico clamped his oversized, floppy hat upon his head once more and strode out the exit. He would walk for a short distance...and then he would take a boat, a coach, and then another boat (Niccolo was quite adept at discouraging tails) before he would collapse for a short nap at his own office in Highton. He wouldn't get a great deal of sleep tonight, of course. The morningtide would bring a flurry of letters and messengers informing him of what had transpired here and elsewhere in the city. There would be gossip, and people would be worried, excited, and no doubt fearful.

But this was only the beginning.

(OOC: Exit Niccolo! Grazie, mio compadres!)

Return to “World's Mouth Archive”