UOM: A Class for Shielding - MT Chyril 22nd (Open)

Moderator: Mods

Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin listened as Durell spoke of wards. Contrary to what the Professor was saying, Corbin had little experience of wards, and those wards that he did know of were the ones conjured by the Professor. He decided to wait before telling the Professor that, especially given the instructions to examine the dark armour.

The way that he had conjured his shield was different to how Corbin did his. Instead of just bringing it up around himself, he had interwoven the strands of energy.

"I haven't come across wards before." Corbin admitted. "What are wards designed to do, and how does one go about conjuring them?" He asked with interest. Discovering new things about magic was something that he took great delight in.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Of all the responses Durell might have expected, that was not one of them. Blinking his red eyes, his shield fell away...surprise often had such an effect...and he turned to consider the students with a look not unlike what one might expect from a person who had seen a pig fly. No wards? How...interesting, he considered. Not that it should have been expected...but it indicated a disassociation between Runescribing and Sorcery that might have been typical for Imperial Magi.

"A ward is...ah..." he paused. "A ward is a spell designed to activate another...or more specifically, a spell invested in something tangible. It is an active defense, unlike a shield. Most wards protect from something specific, of course, but multiple wards might be prepared to counter or activate from multiple kinds of...conditions, such as a gesture, or a certain attack, or even a spoken word. Wards are most often designed to...counter a very specific kind of attack or condition, but they can also..." How far should this go? Oh, balls to it all!

"That's another lesson for another class. We're here to focus upon shielding...but it is wise to remember that your shield might take on properties of it's own...which you've already seen, but might also include additional constructs such as wards that are, in effect, counter-magics through which you might defend against more...non-magical threats. Runes are the most obvious addition due to the fairly safe nature of their use. Runescribing and wards are far less risky to command during distraction, as they've...in a sense...already been cast, and they can be triggered to activate upon your shield breaking from a magical assault or perhaps a knife passing through it to nick at your neck. Do you...understand the principle?"
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin paid close attention to the Professor as he explained the principle behind wards. He could tell from the elfs reaction that he was somewhat surprised at this gap in Corbin's knowledge, but in truth he didn't mind. He was quite happy with his own progress in the magical arts, and he knew there were many many areas that he was not an expert on - but he also knew that he could use magic in deadly situations, and innovate at a moments notice. That, combined with his natural self-confidence shielded him from any worry about his lack of knowledge.

The concept of warding was very interesting, and it was something that he intended to learn more about - but as the Professor said, this lesson was shielding, not warding. That could wait.

"Yes, I believe I understand the principle." Corbin said, nodding his head. Still, he wondered on it, finding the entire topic fascinating. Could one cast a ward so that if someone nearby spoke, a spell that forced them to be silent was cast? Or could a ward be cast on a certain area, rather than in his shield, so that when Corbin issued a command it might create a fireball. That would certainly be a handy trap. "It seems to be the natural complement to the shield. A shield protects from general magical assault, and wards are for specific events." Corbin said, voicing his understanding of the matter.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

As fate would have it, precious few in the room knew much of anything about wards, either...an expected confusion from the foreign professor. Still, there were truths to be learned about shielding...some truths he could demonstrate...before he left them to practice their craft.

"When we speak of shielding, we are indeed speaking of protections against magic, both from ourselves as well as others. It is your Shield that will protect you if you should lose control of your magics, though your shield is only effective if it is there. Still, Shields have their limitations. You...shield yourself once more, and observe the next attack against it," waved the Professor towards Corbin, picking on him for reasons unknown.
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin nodded, and began to weave his shield. He expected that the Professor was going to now perform some sort of magic to bring his shield down, or damage it, or take advantage of a weakness of some sort. That seemed to be the only reason why he might ask Corbin to raise his shield again. In fact it was not the only reason at all, for the Professor may have wanted to demonstrate something entirely different, but Corbin was feeling far more suspicious.

Thus when asked to form his shield he did so. He wound the energy tightly around him, weaving the energy within itself, and drawing it up carefully from his feet, round his legs, up over his torso, arms and head, before reinforcing the traditionally weaker areas of his shield such as under his arms and behind him. He was determined to do his best to resist what energy the elf might send at him - after all there was the reputation of the University at stake.

Once he had done he nodded again.

"I'm ready." He said.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Good, good, good. Here it comes," replied the dark professor...though he merely glanced around the room looking for examples. Corbin didn't have any problems seeing a flash of power heed the man's call, though the nature of his weave was unseen and unknown...perhaps too small, too simple, or even too complex for the young sorcerer to detect. Either way, the result was simple: All at once, the inkwell from one of the nearby student's desktops leaped into the air and flew at Corbin, cutting a fine, graceful, low arc through the air as it rise, fell, drew near, passed through Corbin's shield without any hesitation, and impacted lightly upon the student's chest to bounce and fall to the floor, leaving a splattered stain of ink where it struck and fell.

"That's fine, that's fine...you may relax your shield. Now. Why did his shield do nothing to stop my attack?" asked Durell, though his eyes were inspecting the worst of the ink stains. Perhaps not the best example, but ink can be removed. "You first," he said, motioning towards Corbin, "Your shield was complete...as complete as any magus could make it...but this eludes to our earlier discussion. So...why didn't it work?"
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin concentrated intently on his shield as the Professor began his magic. Corbin watched him, and it, and indeed the ink well as it flew towards him. Then he watched as it smacked him on the chest, depositing its contents there. That was highly annoying. The Professor then proceeded to ask him exactly what he was asking himself - how has it got through? He paused for a moment as he considered it.

"Because it was a physical object?" Corbin enquired. "The shields we raised were designed to stop magical assaults of various kinds, but not physical." He stated. After all the first assault by the elf had been a physical one, but comprised of magical elements. Or at least that seemed to be a possible explanation. He imagined that with a ward he might perhaps have been able to utter a word and counter the attack. Of course that was all conjecture at the moment.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"It is so. The same thing would happen were I to simply throw it at you. As a conclusion, let me offer you a perspective that will serve you all well if you would survive," replied the dark professor raising a finger to the class in general. "I want you to consider your teachings regarding the Aether. A shield will indeed protect you from the Aether...and this includes magic, and that which is formed or made of magic. This includes your own magic, for you should be creating such a shield every time you would take the risk of utilizing it."

"Now consider an assassin's knife. There is nothing magical about his attack...but you aren't powerless to stop it. The forces that might stop an assassin's blade, a hurled inkwell, or even falling stones are the same that might make for any kind of barrier to hold against Tetheric material...and while these affect the Tether, they will not protect you from the Aether...and it is possible weaving even these could cause the kind of backlash that would burn you if you failed to shield yourself from it."

"So take this perspective with you. A barrier...armors...parrying Tetheric assassins...these are weaves, just like anything else. Do not confuse them with shielding, because if you do, you'll end up dead. Wards demonstrate considerable potency in this use, as you simply won't have the time to manufacture a barrier against an assassin's blade if he rushes at you...and shielding will do no good when he knocks you on the head."

Turning, Durell collected his scrollcase and gave the class a final look. "I want you to practice constructing your shielding quickly...but I strongly advise you to learn what this school has to offer regarding wards. You've just seen why they can be useful. Are there any questions?"
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

It made sense to Corbin, and he was pleased at the fact that he had reasoned correctly. It also seemed obvious that such an ability would be extremely useful. At the moment he could block magic with his shield, and deflect physical attacks with his sword - but that required that he see them coming. If he were to make more dangerous enemies, which was entirely possible, they might not be so honourable as to announce their presence before attacking him. It would also be further magical knowledge, and would help him understand magic more than he already did - which after all was the aim of his study.

As the Professor prepared to leave, he turned to the class and asked if there were any questions. Corbin raised his arm in the air.

"What do you have to offer regarding wards?" Corbin enquired. They had not been mentioned before to him, and he supposed that he could ask Professor Moore about them, and he would be more than pleased to tell him. But Professor Durell came from a different University, or whatever they had there, and he might have new insights into magic which could prove useful in the future.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Nothing formal as yet. Frankly, I don't know where warding may lie in your syllabus," admitted the Professor, clearly not a tenured veteran of Imperial Magic. "But you will learn it. As I said, a ward is a weave already cast, so using it during moments of stress, duress, or danger should be preferable...if you've prepared it. A ward is activated by whatever you choose activates it...such as a word, a gesture, or even an approaching knife...and you will some day learn how to craft them. But wards are not infallible. You will suffer ridicule and embarrassment if you should craft your wards poorly such that they activate when you do not need them. Consider how wise you will feel when your ward defends you from a salad fork."

"For practice, you will all perform the following task. You will toss a rock into the air, and before it returns to strike you, you will fashion your shield to protect you from the Aether...and then you will fashion a barrier to protect you from your rock. You won't have a great amount of time to do both...but do them you must, else you will be struck by the rock. You will do this until you can do it in your sleep, and I will test you when next we meet. And be advised that I might not use a rock, so remain flexible as you practice your barriers. For those that choose not to practice this activity carefully, you are well-advised to wear a helmet for your next sitting. That is all."

With that, the Professor turned and strode from the chamber, leaving the students to ponder upon his command.
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin frowned slightly at the denial of further training. It was a frown of frustration more than annoyance - now that this concept of warding had been introduced to him he wanted to learn it, to practice it, to use it. Given the propensity of the young man for getting into trouble it also seemed that it would be a rather useful skill to be able to deploy.

The Professor issued them with a further challenge before he turned and left. Corbin cast his eyes about the room for a rock. It didn't seem the typical sort of thing that would be lying about in the classroom. He really didn't want to have to leave the room to find one. If there was none about the room he would have to try and summon one from the wall, or the floor. He had done something similar before, and he was confident enough to try it. As his eyes wandered the room he dispelled his shield, knowing that it would be far better to put himself to a proper test rather than cutting corners. The Professor would be certain to test them, and he rather thought the Adhiel was likely to throw in some rather devilish twists. It would be best if he was well prepared - he would much rather a sore head now, than a sore head and wounded pride later.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Shema watched the Professor leave the room and let out the breath she was holding. "Well, that was certainly different." She looked over at Corbin scanning the room and she smiled. "You're looking for a rock aren't you?" Shema chuckled. "No time like the present, eh?"

"Well, I don't see one here and these castle walls tend to resist manipulation." Shema mused. "Why don't we find a spot in the gardens to practice? We could throw rocks at each other."
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin looked up as Shema addressed him.

"Oh yes, a rock. Though you're right it doesn't look like there are any here. Which is darned annoying." Corbin said. "But as you say, let's head to the gardens and throw rocks at each other." He said with a chuckle, as he proceeded to walk in the direction of the gardens with her.

"He was rather different as a Professor." Corbin said idly as they walked, referring to Professor Durell. "I wonder what sort of magic they practice where he originates from. I imagine it is quite different from ours, at least in some ways. No doubt they use it to different ends." He suggested.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Much more combative or competitive." Shema agreed. "I thought he and Professor Ashtallion were going to launch spells at each other right then and there." She admitted. "And those wards woven into his shield right on the spot like that." Shema shook her head in amazement. "He was really ready for a major battle at a moment's notice. It must be really dangerous down below."

Shema fell silent for a moment then cleared her throat. "Pardon me for asking this, but is it true that Professor Moore has really taught you nothing of warding?" She asked. "I mean he's the Professor of Defensive Magic. I wouldv'e thougt that would be the first thing on the lesson plan."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

"Either that or he's paranoid." Corbin said with a chuckle. "But yes, it was quite impressive how ready he was. Then again, I'm sure that they must make way room for wards on their syllabus by excluding something else. I'm willing to wager that should we encounter a student from his University they would be deficient in some of the areas we are proficient." He asserted as they made their way through the corridors of the University in the direction of the gardens.

"But no, Professor Moore hasn't taught me anything of wards." Corbin confirmed. "Then again, he has taught me shielding, alchemy, how to make myself near invisible - many things that have proved eminently useful. I supposed he judges that risks to University of Magic students are more likely to come from other magics than physical attacks. There aren't many assassins lurking around these cloisters." He said with a chuckle. "Still, I am determined to learn warding. One never knows how one will be attacked - and if someone is going to attack a wizard, one would assume they would be more likely to attack them in a way that would give them the advantage - namely in a physical manner." Corbin suggested.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"'No matter how powerful the wizard, a dagger between the ribs will seriously cramp his style.'" Shema quoted with a faint smile. "Always sounded like sound advice to me. I've learned a little about wards but against energies. I wanted to know how to protect those that might be caught in the crossfire." She explained. "Professor Peckerton says I'm coming along nicely."

The Univeristy has no lack of out of the way corners and that was true even of the outside courtyards. Shema led Corbin to a funnel shaped space between two of the towers. "So do you want to toss first or ward first?" She asked as she stooped over to pick up a stone.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

"I'm sure you are." Corbin said pleasantly, remembering the Shema that he had first encountered who had not been such a promising student. "It is such an exciting thing, to discover the new uses of magic." He said, repeating an oft-said and oft-thought feeling.

"And now for this new use of magic - I shall let you toss first." Corbin said. "We shall see if I can form a shield and a barrier quickly enough." He said. "And if not, I shall have a bruise." He added with a wink, before moving slightly away from her.

Having retreated far enough, he turn round to face the young girl and prepared himself. The shield he could summon, he was confident of that - after all he had done it many times before. The barrier, he was not sure about, but he was certainly going to give it his best shot. He had in his mind a tightly bonded bundle of aetheric energy, not to protect against magic this time, but imbued with the characteristics which would block the stone, woven into his shield to deflect the stone when it was thrown.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Here we go." Shema called out and lobbed a stone high up in the air in an easy arc. The shield rippled over Corbin easily but he found that once the shield was in place the energies were difficult to work. He got about halfway through forming the ward before the rock beaned him in the shoulder.

Shema winced a little. "Sorry." She shrugged. "So we can't form the shield and then work the ward into it. We'd either have to form the ward separate from the shield or weave it as we bring the shield into being. Ready to try again?" She asked hefting another rock.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin tried, but he was not quick enough. The stone struck his shoulder, passing easily through the unwoven ward. He frowned at that, nodding as Shema suggested another way of working.

He ignored the area where the stone had struck - it had really not been that bad at all.

"I'm ready, launch again!" He said jovially.

He prepared for Shema to launch the stone at him, but this time he aimed to weave the ward in with the shield. He was not making one, then the other, but summoning the shield with an inherent protection in it. He knew that this would not be suitable in all situations, but for the scenario they were now preparing for it would be.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The marks passed as the pair of them pitched rocks at each other while trying to critique each other's wards. Many bruises later they were able to meet the letter of Durell's challenge. Tossed up in a high arc, they could both raise a shield properly warded against the energy of stone. However, if Shema directly threw a rock at Corbin, the ward would be half formed at best. Often this was enough to deflect the rock or slow it, but not always. This new technique would clearly take time to master.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin's body was somewhat covered in bruises as they continued their exercise. He had suffered worse, of course, having been on the receiving end of wooden swords from his brothers and his weapon trainers before. And of course the near death experience with the Changer. Still, his body was aching from the repeated hits, and his warding was often too slow to keep them out. What this seemed to suggest to Corbin was that he would have to form them before anyone attacked him - which was all well and good, but he supposed that he might not very well know when he was to be attacked. Which would suggest that he would need to create them, and then wander around fully warded which struck him as being somewhat paranoid. He didn't think he had sufficient enemies as it was to justify that. Yet.

"Well I must say that my body has suffered something of a punishment today." He said to Shema, wondering if she was feeling as sore as he was. "For a girl you have a strong throw." He added with a wink. "I wonder if the Professor simply wanted us to hurt each other? He strikes me as the sadistic type." Corbin laughed.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"I suppose it would save him the time." Shema agreed. She rubbed a spot on her arm and winced as she found a truly tender point. "I haven't thrown stones like that since I last fought with my borthers." She smiled. "Nice to know I've still got the arm." She winced again. "I think I'll stop by the Mender's for a poultice. I need to be stirring a cauldron for a few marks later today."
Last edited by Tristam on Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

"That sounds terribly fun." Corbin said ironically with a grimace. "I on the other hand, plan on having a rather exciting evening, so I think I need to rest, and try and remove some of these bruises from my body." He said with a chuckle. "It has been fun practicing with you - I hope we shall do so again soon. And then I'll be sure to ward away every one of your stones." He said with a smile.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"I'll look forward to that." Shema smiled. "Until later, Corbin. Farewell."

Looks like fin to me. :)
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

And to me :) . Thank you very much for the thread!

Return to “University of Magicks Archive”