Wake up and smell the Espresso (Chyril 22nd, MT)

Moderator: Mods

Wake up and smell the Espresso (Chyril 22nd, MT)

Post by Guest »

ooc: Anyone who desires to do so, feel free to join in.

Topped by a roof of mossy grey slate, the two-story building is constructed in weathered stone and freshly painted wood. Creepers of ivy climb around the windows and this early in the spring, what would become a veritable rainbow of tea roses were just beginning to bud in their planter boxes along the sheltered front porch.

The main doors were flung open wide this morning tide to reveal a spacious hall with polished wooden floorboards covered here and there by plush carpets. Bright sunshine floods the room, providing ample ambieance without the lanterns being lit.

Dominating the southern wall is a raised stage where both professional and amateur acts are frequently invited to perform. In the southwestern corner, a green door is plainly visible though it is closed and secured at the moment. The stone fireplace set into the southeastern corner lies dormant on this pleasant day.

A series of wooden booths padded with red cushions lines the eastern side of the room. On the wall next to each booth, square windows alternate with paintings and sketches commissioned by local artists. Chairs, sofas and high and low tables clutter the rest of the floor space; these furnishings are tasteful and elegant, in warm wooden and earthern tones enlivened by the occasional splash of pale lemon yellow.

A counter located to the west side of the entrance encloses a small open kitchen, tiled with terracotta, where hot beverages and sweet snacks are freshly prepared each day. The rich aroma of brewing coffee and baked goods fills the shop and wafts forth from the open doors and windows.

Keros, as was usual in the early morning hours, was standing behind the counter with a warm welcoming smile on his face. He bid a good tide to each of the patrons as they entered and occasionally took a sip from the large mug of espresso that rested on the counter before him, careful not to spill any on his cream colored silken tunic.

This morning had been particularly pleasant as Thoman was baking one of his favorite pastries and Melly hadn't broken any of the new mugs...yet. In truth things were slightly more entertaining when she did slip up, even if it did cost them in the long run. Keros was content as he was, serving the customers as they came in and waiting to see what the day brought him.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claire Owens
Civus

Post by Claire Owens »

Upstairs, a lean and indolent creature sprawled happily beneath her blankets. Keros was taking the morningtide shift so Claire could afford to spend a few extra burns luxuriating in the warmth of her bed. It was a proper bed, with white cotton sheets and no fleas. All that ‘early to rise’ business could go hang – the achadiel had no intention of standing upright for the entire tide.

Grrrok.

It seemed that her stomach had other ideas so Claire rolled over reluctantly to face the window by her bed. Fuzzily, she sat up and drew open the curtains, squinting against the sudden onslaught of spring sunshine. And as she shielded her face and lowered her gaze, something on the windowsill caught her eye.

Hello, what's this?

During the gravetide, someone had wedged a scrap of paper into the window crack.

Twenty burns later, Claire was headed down to the café kitchen, dressed for the day in a simple green skirt and bodice. As usual, her hair was braided tightly against her scalp and dark brown kohl lined her eyes, extending just beyond their inner corners.*

There was an odd gleam in the tawny-haired youngster’s eye that was neither pleased nor discontent – anticipatory might have been the best word to describe it. Approaching the counter, she stopped to appraise at Keros for a few flickers, then just as mysteriously, her expression settled into a fond-but-resigned sort of grin.

“Look sharp now laddie, theemth we got ourthelveth thome intewethting dethisionth t'make,” she announced without so much as a 'good morning'. “Pancaketh or powwidge?”

* a trick she had picked up to make herself look older and a little less dreamy.
[size=75][b]"The heart wants not coffee nor coffee houses. The heart wants a friend. Coffee is only an excuse." - Old Turkish saying[/b]

Avatar by crystaldragon at allavatars.com[/size]

Post by Guest »

"A truly pivotal decision it is," Keros answered as he looked upon the face of his friend. His own face was a mask of seriousness as he pursed his lips together and appeared deep in thought, but the twinkle in his eye spoiled the deception. He tilted his head back slightly and inhaled a long breath through his nose before he continued.

"Smells delightful," he sighed. "Instead of all that healthy stuff, wouldn't you much rather wait until Thoman is finished with the tarts? I am pretty sure they are fruit filled today, but I can't quite determine what kind." His face took on an almost pouting look then. "I tried to peek twice but he chased me away."

His serious facade faded as he broke out in laughter. "I tell ya what. We both know I can't cook, but I could probably manage porridge. If you are willing to brave it, I will go fix some for you. Besides, it will give me an excuse to be in there," he nodded over his shoulder into the open kitchin area, "and see for myself what Thoman is making."
Claire Owens
Civus

Post by Claire Owens »

"Ohhh I dunno… can we afford to burn thith plathe down again?"

For a few flickers Claire looked just as grave as Keros had, but it wasn't long before she too dissolved into a fit of giggles, delighting in their silly banter. There were few people in her life with whom she could enjoy such innocent fun, and the girl treasured every moment of his company.

"Powwidge it ith. But we're out of oatmeal,” she informed him once she recovered. “We'll need to get more from upthtairth. Can you help me find it? Dawwin weawwanged the thtorewoom yesterday, only the Godth know where he put evewything thith time."

“Pluth,” she lowered her voice. “I need to show you thomething. Thomewhere quiet.”

Without waiting for a reply, Claire turned back to the stairwell, making odd sounds as she did so (“Thh… tth…sh - sss…”). Distracted by the note she’d received, she realized that she’d forgotten to modify her lisp in public. It was unlikely that anything would come of it, but the oversight bothered her. She was getting too comfortable, losing her edge, getting sloppy. It made her wonder if letting her guard down around Keros was worth it…

Yeah, yeah, it is.

Halfway up the stairs, she produced a piece of paper from her pocket and handed it to her friend. The note on it read:

Stay away from the Banner. For your own good.

It was not signed, and was written in block letters, so the handwriting was near impossible to distinguish.

“Showed up under my window this mornin’,” she muttered. “I don’t know who it’s from, or why – seems I’m useful enough to get a warning, but not so important that I’ll be told what’s goin’ on.”

“I doubt anyone’s after me in particular. Can’t be sure, but I got a feelin’ the Banner’s gonna be seein’ some action soon. Could be the law, maybe it’s Cwane business, but either way we can’t afford to get caught up in it.”
[size=75][b]"The heart wants not coffee nor coffee houses. The heart wants a friend. Coffee is only an excuse." - Old Turkish saying[/b]

Post by Guest »

As Keros read the note a sour ball of vile formed in his stomach. I backed off asking questions. Is it really something they are warning Claire about, or was it a message intended for me? By Pan and Pecunia I had hoped this was all behind us.

Keros just stared at the note and remaind silent until they were in the stock room, his face a mask of seriousness in truth this time. When they were upstairs he quickly made a survey of the various rooms to make sure they were alone, then sat down heavily on one of the crates pressed up against the wall.

"I wonder what it is we are doing to draw attention now? I quit asking questions a long time ago, and as far as I know none of them would have a reason to be angry with you." He looked up innocently at his friend and partner and then said with a sheepish smile, "you know I will have to be there this even'tide though don't you? I know, I know before you say anything its crazy...but the show! It is strictly business this time, honest. I want to get a good look at their guest dancer to see if she would be good to hire for here." They both knew that the strictly business part was a lie, though Claire knew as well that oddly enough as much time as Keros spent at the Banner he had never made a 'purchase' there either.

Trying to change the subject before her better reasoning convinced him to stay a way he quickly posed another question. "Oh, and are we really out of oatmeal downstairs or did you just need an excuse to get me up here?" Keros looked around the room and saw that at the least she wasn't joking about Darrin rearranging the stock room yet again. He smiled despite himself. "I wonder if he doesn't just do this so he has an excuse to leave the room when other guys start flirting with Dawn? I think he has a thing for her, but it seems the girl sees everyone as friends and doesn't notice any of the special attention she gets."

Keros didn't know if his quick change of subject would get him off the hook or not, but he had high hopes of convincing Claire that it would be a good idea for him to be at the Banner later during the show.
Claire Owens
Civus

Post by Claire Owens »

Crossing her arms and leaning against one of the stockroom shelves opposite Keros, Claire listened intently as the young man spoke, smiling wryly at his attempts to derail her. Tsk tsk. Squirmin’ like a worm on a hook. She wondered if she’d be the same if she ever took up with a man he didn’t approve of. Probably.

“We’re out of oatmeal, I needed an excuse and Dawn and Dawwin’s business is their own until they decide to share it with us,” she answered his questions piously, conveniently overlooking the fact that she monitored the soap opera of the coffeehouse every bit as avidly as Keros did. It would have been nice to sit around and gossip – however, they couldn’t continue avoiding their problems for too long.

“Welax, I’m only one woman – wouldn’t stand a chance of keepin’ you fwom Evie or that mort* you’re sweet on,” she assured him with a crooked grin, before bringing the conversation back on track. “Sewiously Kewos, watch your back down there tonight. It might not sound like one, but I think this is a fwiendly warning. We don’t need to upset anyone for something bad to happen – we just have to be in the wong place, sayin’ the wong thing at the wong time.”

The achadiel’s eyes were suddenly dark and solemn, her lips pressed tightly into a concerned frown. Perhaps it had been a mistake getting their loan from Wills Crane. If she’d realised earlier just how long her friend would remain fascinated by ‘Madame Tigre’, she would have been more careful to avoid any entanglements which would bring them into conflict with the owner of the Red Banner. Keros walked a fine line now – it wouldn’t be healthy for him if their financiers believed that he was getting too closely involved with Keaira, a prominent member of Michael Crane’s faction. It wouldn’t be healthy for Claire either, if anything she told him got through to the older woman and tipped her off on a possible strike against the brothel.

She closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose, wrestling with this conundrum. Finally, she spoke again.

“Kewos, I know this is a big ask, but please don’t mention any of this to Keaiwa. She’s got her own sources of information. Let her handle her own pwoblems and don’t twy to warn her or interfere. If I’m right, and something big’s going down tonight, there’s not much we can do to stop it anyway.”

* mort = female (Thieves’ Cant)

Post by Guest »

Keros was touched by Claire's concern, and felt she was actually worried about him and not just herself like most of the people he knew would have been.

What an odd pair we make, you and I. We come from the same roots, led completely different lives, and yet there isn't a person in all the world I feel I could trust more. The thought was as true as could be, but he would never openly say something so sappy. Especially since he figured Claire was a lot tougher than he was anyway.

"You have my promise, my friend, that I shall not speak to her at all about any of this." He paused for a moment lost in his own memories before he opened his mouth once more. "Besides, back before... when I was asking questions... she warned me then not to ask too many. It seemed at that moment she was an enemy as much as a friend. So I swore off that business with her a long time ago." He smiled sheepishly then, that miscivious glint returning to his eyes. "At any rate, my interest in her is completely non business related. She is interesting. She is a puzzle box that I can't help but play with, though only the Gods know if I will like the results should I ever solve the puzzle."

He hopped off the crate that had been his impromptu seat and began to search through the stock. "Well, the oatmeal has to be here somewhere. I might as well do a little searching while we talk."

Keros remained silent a moment while he moved crates here and there and peeked in sacks to discern their contents. Then suddenly spoke once more in a serious tone saying simply, "Thanks Claire, for everything."
Keaira Morgandy
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Keaira Morgandy »

Speak of the devil.

Keaira entered the coffee shop with predatory grace, much akin to that of a tiger about to leap upon its prey. Her fierce blue orbs flicked their gaze about the coffee shop, taking in the wooden floors and tasteful decorations. Though she approved, Keaira left nothing more than a cold indifference visible on her features, though there was a trace of weariness in her movements that was detectable only by those who knew her well.

Her bosom, restrained only by the decorated black bodice that complimented the rich violet of her form-fitting silk gown, swelled as she breathed deeply and took in the scents of coffee and fresh baked goods. It was warmer, now, and as Keaira slipped her cloak off of her creamy shoulders -- left bare by the low sleeves of her dress -- she checked for any trace of Keros or that wench Claire. Keaira had disliked the girl the moment she met her, for men were more difficult to toy with when they had women to keep their thoughts in the proper place. But then, she had little trouble finding other interesting men to play with in her line of work.

Turning to Fauna, Keaira lifted a brow. Her words were soft, though it did not seem as if anyone was nearby to hear her. "Tell me about the basics of reading surface thoughts; there is a little brat here that might be fun to know more about."
[size=75]'All things truly wicked start from an innocence.'
-- [i]Ernest Hemingway[/i][/size]
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Post by Fauna Winthrope »

And so, Act Two began and here the two entered the story, albeit time could only tell whether they were villains or heroes.

The dark enchantress entered the cafe as if she owned it, her cold-blue eyes sweeping over the room like those of an heiress who had just inherited a piece of land to poor to be impressed by it. She was Fauna Winthrope and her minute movement was graceful, confident and imperial and her flawless face held a hint of Amun Rah upon it, albeit her hair gleamed with golden hues and her skin was milky white, shimmering under the morning light. Her cowl was pushed back and a black cloak covered the robe she wore but it could not hide her regal poise and statuesque body.

"A little brat?" The dark enchantress turned those cold, regal, blue eyes upon her apprentice and arched a well-plucked eyebrow. "If that little brat is annoying you, have it killed by your half-giantess" Fauna replied in an indifferent tone as if she was merely talking about an irritant cockroach. "Where is your body-guard?" She looked around for the half-giantess Neit.

"Is there something I should know about this little, pesky cockroach of yours, Keaira?" She asked as the blond woman swept her blue eyes again around the room, expecting for someone to greet them and show them to a chair. "And where is your friend? I thought he should be here by now licking you feet? Is there something I should know about between you two, little children?" She turned to Keaira with a hint of amusement upon thise cold-blue eyes. "Am I hearing wedding bells soon, Madame Tigre?"
Last edited by Fauna Winthrope on Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Cruelty has a Human Heart,
Jealousy a Human Face,
Terror the Human Form Divine,
and Secrecy the Human Dress."

-- William Blake
Claire Owens
Civus

Post by Claire Owens »

While Keros’ back was turned, Claire allowed herself one big silly grin.

“Yeah? Well, likewise, mate.” It was a simple exchange, but somehow the words held far more significance to her than any compliments and flatteries of the kind they lavished upon their customers. A comfortable silence settled over the storeroom as the two achadiel resumed their hunt for the elusive oatmeal, oblivious to the… complications… which awaited them in the coffeehouse below. Before too long, a small bag was hauled over to the dumbwaiter which would deliver it to the kitchen, saving them the trouble of carrying it down the stairs.

And let the games begin.

Bright and dark, light and shade. The dark sorceress and the brothel madame made a striking pair – with their treacherous charms they drew attention the way flames draw a moth. Claire spotted them immediately, but not a trace of discomfort about what she’d asked Keros to do showed in the former thief’s features. With the close backing of Michael Crane, she was confident that Keaira had enough resources at her own disposal to handle any problems that came her way.

She did not wish to make an enemy of the woman, she could not afford to while Morgandy’s position was so much stronger than theirs. But while the Crane shadow-war raged, she could not stand with her either.

Unless the Madame Tigre switches ranks? Now there was a thought. On the surface, it would seem as though she had little reason to – not while Old Tom was run out of town and Sonny Mike’s star was in ascendancy. But then… Morgandy liked control, and she liked manipulating men. Claire could see it in the way she jerked Keros this way and that. Remaining under the thumb of the prodigal Crane could not possibly sit well with a woman like her.

Of course, coming under the thumb of some other organisation would not sit well with her either. But if, in exchange for her alliance, she could be offered some measure of independence… her own little kingdom, like Mediat at Pier 17… it would be something to think about, wouldn’t it? And with one of Michael Crane’s largest sources of finance cut out from underneath him, perhaps he’d start to find his star in descendancy instead. The Pleasures’ backers would certainly like that.

Stealing the Banner from Crane would be quite a coup indeed – Claire wasn’t quite sure how she’d achieve such a thing, not yet – but damn, it sounded like fun. A genuine smile crossed the achadiel’s lips as she greeted Keaira and Fauna, her breakfast completely forgotten.

“Madame Tigwe! A pleasure to see you, as always. Where would you and your fwiend like a seat? On the balcony, perhaps? No-one else is up there, and it’s a beautiful day outside.”

As she spoke, the young woman examined Fauna with interest, not quite certain of the relationship between the blonde lady and the brothel madame. She stared around the Simple Pleasures even more disdainfully than Keaira did, if that was possible. Well, if they couldn’t appreciate the good things to be had here, that was their loss.

Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Imperious, unreadable, cold-blue eyes met Claire from the sole of her toes up to the tip of her hair and a well-plucked eyebrow shot up at her welcome. There was something odd about the woman, an oddity that Fauna couldn't seem to place and she did not like it one bit. The dark enchantress was vain, self-centered and has full bouts of theatrics and she could sense a drama in a person with just one look and this woman before her, Fauna could see, was a person full of the dramatics.

Fight fire with fire then.

Stepping back, her eyes suddenly gleamed as if the sun was shining through her empty blond hair, Fauna turned to the Mistress of the Red Banner with a vacant, wide, blue eyes. "Oh, mon dieu!" Fauna exclaimed as she heaved her well-ampled bosom, her voice thick with her own exotic accent. "This exotic lady cannot decide, this is too much for my brain. Perhaps you should decide, Madame Tigre, no?"

I do not like this gnat one bit, Fauna threw her mind voice upon Keaira, her voice dripping with acid and malcontent. Oh, she would let Keaira handle this flea, she was beneath her. Let this gnat think that she was subservient to the Madame of the Banner, it would not matter one bit, it would even confuse her more. Fauna was, as all the surface Red Banner knew, under the management of Keaira and her star whore. She was merely here to observe, the cold, cerulean eyes in the shadows, unobstrusive and silent and deadly as a raptorial snake.
Last edited by Fauna Winthrope on Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake
Keaira Morgandy
Tazlure Supporter

Now there was a thought. Have Claire killed? Well, no. Something inside of her reasoned with her. She wasn't quite as wicked as Fauna yet. The girl has done nothing wrong, at least not to me. I just don't like her. It didn't occur to Keaira that, honestly, she didn't really have a fondness for anyone.

Fauna's jesting brought a disgusted sneer to Keaira's full lips as she gave the woman a look of pure disdain. It was enough to tell her that Keaira would rather have submitted herself to Crane's fits of anger than find herself married to Keros -- though she would have preferred "none of the above." After all, her interest in both of them had waned lately. "I quite simply don't like her, Fauna, I'm sure you can understand those sorts of sentiments. As for Neit, I suppose she is still sleeping." Keaira didn't need the half-giantess with Fauna around, so she spoke dismissively.

It was then that Claire appeared, and Keaira directed her gaze at the younger girl. Truthfully Keaira disdained her because she thought her to be a young, stupid little thing. The way she spoke, with that awful gap in her teeth, made Keaira coil inwardly, as if ready to strike; yet to the eye she seemed indifferent, her features as empty as those upon a mannequin's. She had held no visible disdain as she looked about the room, and now regarded Claire with the same noncommittal look.

"Good morning, Claire, lovely to see you." Hah, that didn't sound sincere in the least, though it wasn't mocking. Her tones were simply...indifferent, almost tired. It seemed that Keaira was not in the mood to wear masks this morning (in truth she felt rather weary still), instead remaining stoic even as Fauna's voice echoed through her thoughts. Fauna's false idiocy drove her mad, but Keaira kept her temper in check. This is the cockroach, she responded mentally to Fauna, even as outwardly she gave a small nod to Claire. Though Keaira was certainly not friendly, at least she wasn't as haughty as Fauna.

"A seat on the balcony would be perfect."

Post by Guest »

As Keros exited the stair in the back his eyes fell upon the two divas who had just entered his domain. Claire had beat him down the stairs and was the first to greet them, and so it was that Keros arrived just in time to catch the cold indifference and over the top theatrics from the two women.

So today it is Madam Tigre out and about. When in the Banner I play by her rules, but we aren't in the Banner. The way they had acted toward Claire, while not outwardly hostile, struck a nerve with him for some reason. They had dismissed her like she was a mere piece of the scenery. He would play his hand in turn.

Keros casually ignored the two new patrons as he walked over to the counter and checked with Thoman to make sure the oatmeal had arrived unhindered. After making sure there was nothing else the baker needed, he swiped a double shot of espresso from Fabio Brynmor, their barista, and strolled over to where the three women were standing.

It may be a mistake, but let them learn early that the illusions don't hold true in my domain. I wonder if Fauna even remembers the party at the Dort Embassy it seems so long ago? She casually dropped her true name then in attempting to help get me and Keaira through the door. I haven't had any dealings with her since, but I am not so much a fool that I do not know how horribly false this ruse of hers is.

Keros wore a smile upon his face as usual, but it did not touch his eyes. Clearly he was irritated at something, but for all any of them knew he had missed their entrance entirely, and he pretended to have not heard the exchange between Claire and the women of the Banner.

"Keaira and Fauna!" He exclaimed with mock surprise. "It is so good to see you in our humble place of business. I will have Fabio whip each of you up some espresso, first shot on the house. Would you like me to bring you some of Thoman's treats as well? It isn't every day that notables such as yourselves deign to give us business, so I would be honored to serve you myself."

And keep you away from Claire in the process. Whether that note had been a friendly warning or not, Keros had no intentions of letting anything happen to his best friend.
Keaira Morgandy
Tazlure Supporter

When Keros finally deigned to notice them, surprise on his features, a faint smile graced Keaira's lips. It held mischief, weariness, amusement, and a sultry undertone all at once. Keros knew her outward appearance well by now, and it was clear by the slightly dulled appearance of her normally fierce blue eyes that she was not quite herself at the moment. In fact, she seemed tired.

She knew him as well, and his eyes betrayed his annoyance to her, for she had held their gaze many times. Though she did not know the source of his irritation, she could guess at it. How cute. I wasn't even mean. It was also noted that he'd used Fauna's real name.

"That sounds excellent, Keros," Keaira responded in the playful purr that she teased him often with. "I always enjoy your..." -- her eyes flickered suggestively over his form, head to toe and back to lock his gaze -- "...services." It had been some time since she and Keros had toyed with one another, and even as Keaira spoke her eyes darkened and attained their odd inward glow. She'd betrayed her mood only briefly; now she was properly the Madam Tigre of masks and deception that almost everyone that met her interacted with. She suddenly seemed beautiful, mysterious, and dangerous all at once. Typical, for her. For but a flicker she concentrated on Keros, before sending pleasureful shivers dancing up his spine, as if her fingers were upon his back. Something like that had happened, once. In a dream..

And she could recreate that sensation, now that she had learned the subtle influence of mindcrafting -- something she had not bothered to tell Keros.

Then Keaira was looking back toward Claire, and the transition was magnificent. With such a smile upon her lips, to the eye it looked as if Keaira and Claire were the best of friends. Even her tone was warm and friendly. Very well Keros, I can play your game. "I'd prefer a table that's not too sunny, if at all possible." Indeed it was clear by the pale creme hue of her skin that she had probably never sat in the sun. It was also clear that she still expected Claire to seat them.
Last edited by Keaira Morgandy on Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by Guest »

The smell of fresh coffee and baked goodness had drawn Andara to this coffee shop.
After her successful dance down at the harbor and surprisingly pleasantly ending encounter with the achadhiel guardian, she was in an unusually good mood for morningtide, but the delicious scents emanating from the shop had reminded her that she hadn't had anything but moldy water and salted fish for the past few days, and now, she was craving something else.

Her cloak had by now been stuffed back into her bulky bag, and the spring sun heated up her deep blue skirt and bodice quite nicely. Her belt was holding only the sheath for her dagger, her purse being buried somewhere between her jewelry and her spare skirt. Her maroon tresses had been plaited into one tight braid earlier, but now, many strands had become loose; however, right now, she did not care much about it.

Andara opened the door to the shop and gracefully walked inside, sat down her bag and looked around. This seemed like a quite comfortable, somewhat cozy place, and the prospect of sitting on a cushioned seat again was very, very inviting.
Three women and man stood quite close, so she quickly removed the veil covering her face and let it hang around her neck; then, she gave the group a nod, a wave and a "Good morning!" that was part tired, part cheery and part friendly, but mostly just polite. She did the same towards the baker and the barista at the counter, and then while waiting for someone to seat her, she couldn't help herself but observing the others out of the corner of her eye.

One of them, a gorgeous tall blonde, gave off an air of exaggerated arrogance that even Andara could feel, and she somehow felt a vibe that screamed "Competition!" at her, and at once, she cursed herself for not having brought order to her hair.
From the way they were standing, Andara guessed that the ebony haired woman standing next to her was her friend, or companion, or something like that; she seemed somewhat more calm and reserved, but lofty nevertheless.
Shadowed by these two beautiful vixens, the third woman, a wiry brunette, was almost invisible. Poor homely girl, Andara thought to herself, but at least she could outshine one of them - she hoped, as one strand of hair fell onto her slightly sweaty forehead again.
The man standing with them was definitely handsome, and Andara automatically cocked her hips and raised her head. She was also a bit jealous of his pretty, shiny, smooth long hair, she had to admit to herself.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

I need to learn to wear my masks as comfortably as you my dear Keaira. Keros thought as she spoke. It was obvious she had read him like an open book. At least she seemed to be playing along with him, which was better than he had expected. He knew that worse would come from Fauna if for no other reason than the use of her real name when she was laying the part of Flora. Saved by a stranger! He smiled apologetically to the two as the new woman walked in.

"Excuse me but a moment if you will. I will see to the drinks and pastries then and bring them up right away. It wouldn't do at all to keep either of the two most influential women of the Citadel waiting." He nodded respectfully as he stepped away from them and turned toward the new arrival.

Instinctively his eyes traced her form in appraisal, and from what he could see he genuinely hoped she would become a regular. While she was a little rumpled, from travel no doubt, it was plain to see that she had a very pleasing figure. The mischievous spark returned to his eyes in earnest as he smiled warmly at Andara.

"Welcome to 'The Simple Pleasures' and to the city as well. I am Keros Silverflame, the proprietor of this establishment, and it would give me great joy to serve a lovely lady such as yourself this fine morningtide." He offered her a polite bow as he made his introductions. She could see the twinkle in his icy blue eyes as they met her own steel blue orbs. "If you like, I can escort you to one of our window booths. They have just the right amount of cushion to ease the fatigue of travel weary muscles and an excellent view to boot. Once we have you all nice and comfy I will see to your other needs."

She really is quite lovely. Should the opportunity present itself while she is here, I may see what Claire thinks of offering her a job. We could use a few more, and if she is truly new to the city there is a good chance she could use the work.

He offered one arm up as a dancer would to his partner and gestured with the other to indicate the direction in which he would be leading her. Normally he was nowhere near as extravagant and showy with the patrons. Customarily he would offer and smile and a greeting and allow them to come to the counter, or see to their desires after seating themselves, but his act served a dual purpose. Primarily, he wanted to make a good first impression on the lovely new arrival to the city. Almost as important though, he wanted Keaira to see him flirting with this complete stranger and wanted her to know that while he was still caught in her web, that she wasn't the only spider whose silken web he attempted to dance in.

Post by Guest »

As Andara overheared the conversation, she got quite intrigued. The two most influental women? Of course, every store owner flattered their patrons, but surely, they wouldn't exaggerate as much if they weren't any substance behind it... very interesting... Maybe, she could ask somebody about that.

When Keros walked over and introduced himself, the sharp and fetching contrast between his light eyes and raven hair struck Andara, and she answered his bow with an elegant nod and a friendly, open smile. She was still a bit wary of his subtly flirtatious manner, though, but much less so than usual - today, her high spirits apparently would not allow her to think too pessimistic of a fellow citizen.

She took the arm he had politely offered.
"A true pleasure to meet you. And why yes, I would like that very much. I'm Andara, Andara Eidean, by the way." She let the sounds trickle over her tongue as if they were sweet, ripe grapes she had just plucked from the bunch, giving her voice a sultry quality, but not overtly lascivious. Yet.

As she let him lead her to a booth, she gently swayed her hips, ever-so-softly bumping into his with every second or third step, as if only by chance.
"And you are quite right, travel has been exhausting... I only passed through the gates, hmm, maybe a mark or so ago. But be careful, if I get too accostumed to these soft cushions, I might decide to live in one of these booths!"
She laughed a pleasant, inviting laugh at her own joke, and looked at Keros with a playful sparkle in her eyes.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

A look of of pure astonished bewliderment washed over Fauna's face when Keros called her by her real name. How dare this simpleton? Who was he to call her by first name basis? Keros didn't realize that what he did was a slap in Fauna's face, an insult, and he should have realized that the dark enchantress carried grudges perpetually. Her eyes crackling with Netheric coldness, the dark enchantress intently gazed upon the man and watched him bustled away to meet a new patron.

"Your friend is quite interesting, Keaira." Fauna muttered under her breath as her cerulean eyes watched Keros with predatory look. "Remind me again, what is he to our goal? I haven't seen any hint how useful he is to us. Perhaps, I should look into this personally." She turned to the madame with an arched look tinged with dripping, acid threat against the man. "Or would rather deal with him personally? I know that he is your pet, just make sure that he doesn't block my way or there may be consequences."

The new customer was interesting though and with an imperious poise, waiting for Claire to show them where they should be seated, Fauna scrutinized the brown-haired girl Andara with curiosity, angling her flawless head to see the woman better. She approved of the young woman, there was a gracefullness and suppleness in Andara's movement and Fauna turned to Keaira with an arched interested look, nudging her about the young girl.

"That reminds me, Keaira." The dark enchantress continued. "You should drink something herbal, not caffeine. You shouldn't have espresso after what we've done. It overstimulates the system. Chamomile would be better, or the herbal drink Adam prepares for you. Perhaps, when you've practiced enough and you're more comfortable with your skill."

Turning to Claire, "Goodwoman," Fauna intoned haughtily as if the woman was way beneath her. "Do you have something of an herbal refreshment aside from espresso or perhaps something decaf?"

*Thanx to Fia and Lexi for their info about tea and caffeine (huggles)
Last edited by Fauna Winthrope on Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake
Claire Owens
Civus

Post by Claire Owens »

Claire's opinion of Keaira and Fauna had not been enhanced by this exchange. They were so... transparent. No consistency. Did they think she was blind? Or deaf? She was certainly not stupid enough to think that any advantage would come from dealing with them now. It wasn’t the fact that they were deceitful and treacherous that offended her – who the hell wasn’t? It was just that – the pure idiocy of it – they showed themselves as such. As far as Claire was concerned, they played a losers' game.

Claire knew the value of trust. Out on the street, when times were good, you could do business with any cove* you pleased because even if you wound up burned, chances were you could right bounce back. But when the storms came in you stuck with your mates, the folks that you knew would at least make an effort to deal with you straight, unless there was no other choice.

When the storms come in for these two… if they aren’t bloody careful… they’ll find themselves on their own.

While the players around her segued through a series of complex personality changes and mood swings, Claire's own sunny and accommodating facade did not waver for a moment. She had allowed herself a small, bewildered brow crease at everyone's odd behaviour, then fallen back into her submissive role, as though it was all she understood, or was capable of.

"Of course, Madame," she answered Fauna politely. "Let me seat you down here then, the balcony is too bwight. I will be wight back with your tea." With a hospitable smile, she ushered the two women over to a table near the stage at the back of the room. It was one of the better seats in the house - as much as it would have amused the achadiel to sit them out on the front porch next to the street and away from the society in the cafe, she wasn't prepared to insult them quite so publicly.

Claire wasn’t interested in scoring points… her main aim was to stay beneath everyone’s notice for now… and nothing attracted negative attention like a waitress on a power trip.

Quietly, it pleased her to see Keros standing up to the women rather than bowing to their wishes. It was completely unnecessary for him to have done so for her sake, but it was sweet, all the same. It was good to see him taking an interest in another woman too – she only hoped he wasn't flirting with Andara just to make the brothel madame jealous.

She hummed to herself as she strode to the counter, leaving everyone else to their own devices for the moment.

*cove = fellow
Last edited by Claire Owens on Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keaira Morgandy
Tazlure Supporter

A sharp glance to Fauna told her that Keaira thought she was being slightly ridiculous. It's not as if you are difficult to recognize, Fauna, Keaira's voice said within the woman's mind. He is a bit of a fool, you can't expect him to be quick enough to keep in line with your disguise. I do not question you, so do not question me. All she said aloud, in a rather airy tone, was a dismissive, "Slip of the tongue."

Keaira watched as Keros took his leave to tend to another customer, a sly smile toying with the corners of her lips. As if I can be made jealous, my little fly. She did notice, however, the carefully placed cock of Andara's hips. The girl handled Keros easily and, being a woman experienced with such wiles, Keaira noticed the way she 'casually' bumped her hips against him as they walked. She gave a faint chuckle, her voice echoing in Fauna's mind once more. She belongs in the Banner. Obviously, Keaira preferred this private means of communication.

Giving a careless shrug to Fauna's words, Keaira followed Claire to the intended table and seated herself. As Claire departed, Keaira laid her cloak across her lap and glanced after her. Idly, she wondered. Was she really so simple? Keaira herself wore several disguises a day; though Claire remained constant, perhaps she was false as well. Pushing the thought aside, Keaira took in another breath and looked about the room with what was now clearly approval. It seemed her mood was gradually improving.

Her gaze shifted back to Fauna as she arched a brow. "You are always so testy," she said, an observation seemingly out of no where. Though Keaira was never herself -- not even knowing what 'being herself' would entail -- it was very rare that she showed her anger to others. Yet it seemed Fauna never restrained herself when someone struck a nerve.

Post by Guest »

Being the son of a whore and having been raised in a brothel, Keros was familiar with the subtle uses of body language, and the gentle swaying of Andara's hips and the ay she so casually teased him with those soft bumps was not lost on him. He liked her already.

"Andara Eidean." He spoke the name as a wine taster would revel in that first swish on the tongue. "Truly I shall throw caution to the wind if it means you would stay here. Just speak the word and any of my booths shall be yours for as long as you would stay." Keros was truly enjoying this opportunity to flirt with the attractive newcomer and his face revealed his joy. "Of course if the booth doesn't convince you to stay, maybe the drinks and pastries will...or perhaps even the company." He said with a wink as she sat.

"I shall endeavor to tempt your tastes in the hopes you will indeed take up residence. Do you have a particular beverage in mind, or shall I surprise you?"

Post by Guest »

Andara kept being surprised by Keros' wit and charm; he obviously knew how to play the game of flirting and wooing, which, unfortunately, only few of her clients had found worthwhile to participate in - granted, they didn't really need to, but even pretense of a chase could be quite titillating. Well, the possibility that she might actually come to like this man entered her mind.

She eased herself into the soft seat, and let out a barely audible, content sigh as her back could finally relax. The sun shone through the window and bathed her face in a warm, sweet light; for the flicker of a moment, she closed her eyes and enjoyed this feeling. Her bag resting between her and the wall, she smiled.
"Well, this place is perfect," she sighed once more.

Andara opened her eyes again and warmly looked into the captivating blue ones of her flatterer. "What would life be without its little surprises? So please, do surprise me - I'm confident it shall be only in the most enjoyable ways."
She paused for a moment, and then added: "And if you'd like to, I would not mind some company - not at all. My ears and my mind need some soothing, welcome words after days only with the coarse conversation habits of sailors."

Post by Guest »

Keros beamed when she accepted his offer of company. "Then I shall return with due haste, hopefully with a welcome surprise." He bowed as he stepped away, then turned and strolled toward the counter. He would quicken or slow his step as needed so that he could catch the eye of Claire on his way to the counter.

"I like this one" he mouthed silently to her with a wink.

After a few moments behind the counter and what appeared to be a cheerful exchange with Thoman, Keros started back across the floor, a plate in one hand and two tall thin glasses in the other. He paused briefly near the table where Claire had seated the dynamic duo from the Banner.

"Thoman is just about to pull a fresh batch of poppyseed cakes from the oven. When he heard you were having tea instead of coffee he insisted you try them." He smiled kindly and continued on toward the booth where Andara was waiting.

He set the plate down first revealing a small variety of fresh fruit tarts from the batch Thoman had just finished. He then placed the two glasses opposite each other on the table, and slid in across from the waiting Andara.

"Let me warn you, this drink is one I have been experimenting with. I like it well enough, but I am using you as my taste tester." He grinned innocently as he continued. "It is a single shot of espresso mixed with steamed milk and chocolate, topped with just a bit of foam. A lovely drink for a lovely lady."

He leaned inward as if he had some great secret to share and offered her his most charming smile. "So tell me what brings you to the Citadel."
Rosalie Marcada
Baroness Marcada, Ambassador World's Mouth

Post by Rosalie Marcada »

It was no surprise to her entourage when Rosalie made the open carriage stop here. She had visited the establishment before, savoring the smells from home.

Wearing a green velvet dress that billowed out under the influence of the wooden contraption under her skirts so that she resembled in unflattering descriptions of her contemporaries more of a sailship than anything, the Lady Ambassador of World's Mouth sailed inside, her Condotierre guard, four man strong right behind her. Two stayed close, the other two chose to post outside. Rosalie simply ignored them as if they were not there.

For the moment remaining ignorant of the presence of Fauna who was known to her she instead smiled at the owner with a half seductive, familiar smile for they too had shared some conversations, be they about trade and licensing. Rose was here today to smooch a little with the contacts she'd made all over the place. "Now how his business today? Tell me you still have an espresso left for a girl thirsty for the taste of the Mouth."
[size=84][color=darkred]This character has resigned and is now a NPC.[/color]

Post by Guest »

As he went to get his little surprise, Andara could not help herself but turn after Keros, admiring his retreating frame with an appreciative smile.
When he returned and set a plate of deliciously looking and even more tantalizingly smelling fruit tarts, she sighed with delight.

When he leaned over, she reciprocated his beautiful, enticing smile with one of her own. She inched her head a bit closer still, and half-whispered: "See... if I... survive this new recipe of yours - then I will tell you everything you want to know."
Her striking smiled went mischievous as she spoke.

She took the glass and held it in front of her face, closed her eyes and fanned some of the steam emanating from it towards her nose. She breathed the exotic mix of scents in, and a shiver ran down her body. "It surely smells promising," she said, still whispering.
She took a sip, and held it on her tongue for a bit before swallowing. "Oh my... this is, well, this is just ingenious!" She finally opened her eyes again and looked at Keros, openly and honestly. "A most divine drink, I daresay."

As she was about to start telling him about her reasons to come her, she heard some commotion from the direction of the door, and looked there. A stunning woman in what was obviously an expensive, elegant dress had just entered the coffee shop. Hmm, another one I should ask Keros about later on...!

She took another sip. "So, what brings me here... well, hmm... where to start..."
In her mind went to quick work. She did not want to outright lie to Keros, but the tale of an underpaid, dissatisfied whore and dancer was not the most appropriate story do be told over a brunch - nor the most flattering.
"Well, my family is from Dort, and they still live there," - as far as she knew, at least - "happily sawing, farming, harvesting, milking, sewing. Rural bliss..." She took a bite out of one of the tarts, and almost squealed with glee - she might have to make good on that jovial threat.
"And I just was not interested in that. Surely, living my life as a farmer in Dort's breadbasket is an honorable and important thing to do, I do not deny that. But honestly, I simply could not - and still cannot - see myself as a farmer for all of my life. I always wanted to go places, meet exciting people, and, well, live. So I went to live with an... auntie. She had an inn, in Dort - the city, that is - and I worked for her there."
She quickly amended that: "Tending the bar, waiting the tables - on some nights, I had to cover for our bouncer. That was... an interesting experience, to say the least.
And I've lived in Dort since I was fourteen, and I think it a nice town, bustling with life and yes, full of spirit... but, all the time I had this yearning for more. A desire to leave the old behind, I assume. And therefore, I decided to leave, to actually go to places, meet people, live life.
I started to save some money, to pay for my journey to the Citadel, with some left to get a nice room in an inn until I get a job - my talent at planning is a bit shaky, I must admit."
She took another sip. Suddenly, it hit her how much she had told him here... a bit ashamed, she gave Keros an apologetic look and a sheepish smile. "Look at me, I'm sitting here, telling a long story, nay, babbling about my life - I hope I did not bore you with that!"
Last edited by Guest on Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Outer Ring Archive”