Character Gender

This board is dedicated to both official and fun polls to prevent Banter being cluttered by the zillion questions we'd like to ask!

Moderators: saskia, Maeve, Meridiuz, Syra, Mods

Your gender vs character gender

Male playing male
46%
Male playing female
17%
Female playing male
7%
Female playing female
29%

Total votes: 41

Miklos Tsale
Civus

Character Gender

Post by Miklos Tsale »

I was just noticing that a lot of the girls seemed to be played by guys, and somewhat vice versa. So I was curious.
Last edited by Miklos Tsale on Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/51795833/]Avatar[/url], [url=http://ladyedanastock.deviantart.com/]Stock[/url]

"He had been eight years upon a project for extracting sunbeams out of cucumbers..." - Johnathan Swift

Post by Guest »

*coughcough* I think you kinda lack "female playing female" up there :P
Keaira Morgandy
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Keaira Morgandy »

Yeah, I'm female playing female. Fix your poll! :evil:

:P
[size=75]'All things truly wicked start from an innocence.'
-- [i]Ernest Hemingway[/i][/size]
Miklos Tsale
Civus

Post by Miklos Tsale »

that's odd, I remember typing it, guess I forgot to hit update.
[url=http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/51795833/]Avatar[/url], [url=http://ladyedanastock.deviantart.com/]Stock[/url]

"He had been eight years upon a project for extracting sunbeams out of cucumbers..." - Johnathan Swift

Post by Guest »

Tsktsktsk, shame on you!
*shakes head in gravely serious disapproval*
*wiggles index finger for super extra dramatic effect*
:P

Oh, and m-playing-f, to reveal my vote *g*
Last edited by Guest on Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claire Owens
Civus

Post by Claire Owens »

I have played two females and one male. Funnily, it's the guy I find easiest to write.
[size=75][b]"The heart wants not coffee nor coffee houses. The heart wants a friend. Coffee is only an excuse." - Old Turkish saying[/b]

Avatar by crystaldragon at allavatars.com[/size]
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Talanwei Fortisse »

I'm a guy playing a guy :wink:
Tilha O`Renimin
Civus

Post by Tilha O`Renimin »

Man playing a lass also, though I have a male 2nd PC in the works.
Looks like it's becoming a new trend in Citadel (spurred by our dark enchanteress?), though the wiki says the other way is more common.

Long habit of playing transgender (tough badly usually) comes from having to play with (or GM) tables full of testosterone loaded adolescent males, so I felt I had to introduce some balance with my characters.

Hopefully, now I'm more mature and Tilha should be more realistic than those were.

And yes, for some "strange" reasons :lol: usually lads are easier to play than lasses, it's not the first time I hear it said.
[size=84][i]"Be guided by your heart and your faith."[/i] - Abbot O'Shea 8th teaching[/size]
[size=75]Avatar from [url=http://www.allavatars.com/]www.allavatars.com[/url][/size]

Post by Guest »

Another guy-playing-girl here :)
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

There is a bet that I could play a believable girl without Becca noticing. It has not been done yet, but.......
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Thinking over all the char's I've played, none of them has ever been female! Don't know why actually...

Though the general concensus is male chars are easier to play I find Talanwei has a mind of his own. I can never premeditate how he's gonna react to a given situation and he acts differently than I would in a given situation...

Me n' him disagree sometimes but we're still pals :wink:
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

Female playing female here. As a general rule, sticking to my gender is what I do because it's what I know best. But every once in awhile, I'll switch sides for a little variety.

And Talanwei, that's when you know you've got a good connect with your character. At least, in my experience the ones that babble in my head are the easiest to write for. I don't have to do anything other than let them have their say. (And yes, Sev is VERY much like that! :))
"First let's just unzip your religion down" - [i]Crazy[/i], Tori Amos
Tickle-fight champion.
[i]Avatar is At the Edge of the World by Electra[/i]
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Gwayne of Vendeling »

Male playing Male, I find it easier to play. But female NPC are fun.

Mmmm, playing a female without becca noticing. That would be a option.

;)
Last edited by Gwayne of Vendeling on Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Goddess is at my side, until she decides to leave me...

Posting on possible days Avatar from our lady Finley.. a mistress of capturing dreams and nightmares in word and pictures.
http://pixieface.deviantart.com/
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Sevti wrote:And Talanwei, that's when you know you've got a good connect with your character. At least, in my experience the ones that babble in my head are the easiest to write for. I don't have to do anything other than let them have their say. (And yes, Sev is VERY much like that! :))

Thanks Sev! Though our connection could be a little better...you see, Tal's already got it figured out! He knows "who" he is and how he wants to be portrayed, I'm just the silly writer for him that can't quite nail it every time :wink:

Those are our only real disagreements.

For instance:

Me: "Hmm...that looks all right..."

Tal: "No dummy! Agh you're such an idiot!!"

Me: "Wait...but...what?"

Tal: "I woulda said this!"

Me: "....crap."
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

Sounds very familiar! I have those conversations regularly. Those and these:

Me: Sev, you've got to do this because we need to get to this point.

Sev: Nope. Not gonna happen. I want to do this instead.

Me: But that won't be as much fun as what I want you to do.

Sev: Don't care. It's my life. I'm going to live it how I want to.

It's why she fell in love with Abeo, you know. I wanted her to be footloose and fancy free. She took one look at the lug and got stars in her eyes. She doesn't always make the best choices. ;)
"First let's just unzip your religion down" - [i]Crazy[/i], Tori Amos
Tickle-fight champion.
[i]Avatar is At the Edge of the World by Electra[/i]
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

I know what you mean! Image

Besides, if Tal keeps on mixing himself up with the likes of Fauna and Keaira he's gonna get his heart broken! :wink:
Morg

Post by Morg »

Amen to that, Sevti.

I created Morgan to be the greatest wizard Tazlure had ever seen. Unfortunately, since his inception he's developed into a day-dreaming kebab-munching codpiece-wearing loser. You have no idea how much effort it took me to get him to kiss Becca.

Me: Aww, c'mon Morgan... you've got to kiss her in this post!

Morgan: Can't it wait a few? Maybe until around page 6 or so of the thread...?

Me: No, no, no. No telling when Grey Wolf might decide to close the thread. And you do know about the Super Sync, don't you? If you don't kiss her now you might have to wait another three whole months!

Morgan: Hey, you're giving me OOC knowledge! *puts fingers in ears and whistles loudly* I can't hear you...

Me (irately): I'm the mod round here. I'm the one who's supposed to criticise people for breaking the rules! Besides, you're just a figment of my imagination.

Secret 2nd PC: Could you two please keep it down? I'm trying to get some sleep in here.

(Morgan at this point takes advantage of my momentary distraction to reach into the Aether and tie me up in coils of Air energy)

Morgan: Right, I'm off to write that post. Hey, maybe I'll kiss her anyway. Just for unexpectedness' sake.

Floppy Black Hat (as an aside to the audience): Not if I can help it. Bwa-ha-ha-ha!

Audience: Boo! Hiss! &c.

~Curtain~
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

I created Morgan to be the greatest wizard Tazlure had ever seen. Unfortunately, since his inception he's developed into a day-dreaming kebab-munching codpiece-wearing loser.

That is so going on your wiki page! :twisted:

I would also point out that those two descriptions are not mutually exclusive. :)
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Post by Fauna Winthrope »

Oh my gawd!

You guys are like soooo crazy and all! :shock:
"Cruelty has a Human Heart,
Jealousy a Human Face,
Terror the Human Form Divine,
and Secrecy the Human Dress."

-- William Blake
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Post by Raevyn D`Altamooriana »

I've had three characters here, two currently, all are female. My choosing to play/create female characters exclusive here has been the topic of man a chat sessions as well as PM convos and IM's.

It's always the same too, "Why do you always play girl characters?" An assumption that is very untrue. The fact is that all my life I have played male characters. Whether it was table top, video game and even my swordfighting days down in Florida. I always played male characters.

It wasn't until about 02 at another site that I created my first female character. It was more me poking fun of a friend of mine(also male) that always played female characters. So I created her, and pulled her off VERY well. Even though at that site it was a common fact that at any given time there would be approximately only three actual female players there at any given time.

I still had and still to this day have both my guy and girl players there but she has become more popular then he has for some unknown reason and he's been around since 1998. So when I stumbled across Tazlure I again decided to see if I could successfully pull off playing a female character which I think I have. It was/is more of challenge here than it is at my other site however.

Now as for the reasoning itself as to why I only choose to play/create female characters here at Tazlure. The reason is simple. It's too easy for me to rp as a male, I am one. Have been ALL my life. There is no challenge for me personally to rp as a male character. Therefore it really isn't at all interesting to me. I want a challenge here, and I think that this forum provides me the best oppurtunity and challenge to do so. That is my sole reason for playing female characters here. I don't do it to impress any one, or fuck with some horny lil teenagers heads, or anything else like that. I do it for my own personal satisfaction and enjoyment. So much so that I believe fully that if I would've created a male character I probably wouldn't have lasted here as long as I have.
The fiddler fiddled his violin which smelled horribly like fresh afterbirth boiled in cabbage.

© Marta @ www.marta-dahlig.com
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

I created Morgan to be the greatest wizard Tazlure had ever seen. Unfortunately, since his inception he's developed into a day-dreaming kebab-munching codpiece-wearing loser.

That is so going on your wiki page!

*whistles and hides her 'editing-wiki' hat* >_>
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Male playing male.

I have to agree, charecters do tend to take on a life of their own.
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

I have two males and I am all man baby ;).

I tried writing a woman once but I wasn't very good at it. I couldn't COMPLETELY remove reason and logic from my posts ;).

Post by Guest »

I am a male who plays a male in Taz, but I have played both genders in the past. When I finally get to that point where I am able to create a second PC it will more than likely be a female, just to give contrast to Keros.

I typically fall into one of two trends when playing a female PC though. She usually ends up as either an attractive yet strongly independant and distant personality, or a non-desirable in search of love and acceptance. Not entirely sure why that is. I still remember my first ever female PC though. Laurilil Khae'lakhaine, a dark elven magic user who worshipped the god of fear. When I started playing Everquest she became a dark elven cleric who was a priestess of Hate. If I get my second character I will probably go for some incarnation of her. My favorite thing about her was my response to all the horny toad teenage guys in my original gaming group (and the pervs on EQ as well) "My body shall be ravaged by none save my God!"

As for character having a personality of their onw. Keros is only slightly similar to what I had in mind for him, and is semingly straying further from the path every day. No matter how many times I force him into the whore house....he just won't be a whore.
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Corbin Dillon wrote:I tried writing a woman once but I wasn't very good at it. I couldn't COMPLETELY remove reason and logic from my posts ;).

#-o
[b]Convo Kill Count[/b]: 1
[b]Funny Chat Moments[/b]: 3

Return to “Poll Board”