All in a Days Work (Archives MT Chyril 22)

Moderator: Mods

Danomel

All in a Days Work (Archives MT Chyril 22)

Post by Danomel »

The Imperial Archives was an impressive structure by anyone's standards. The entryway opened upon the second floor of a large well lit central atrium, a room characterized by its volume of open space. Light filtered through the glass panes of the domed ceiling, which had been cleverly constructed to make maximum use of the sun. Several neat rows of tables and chairs could be seen adorning the level below, where a few scholars studied, while their apprentices scurried back and forth carrying books, scrolls and papers.

A wide staircase traversed the circumference of the atrium, opening onto large balconies with additional tables and chairs at each level. The most impressive part of the Archives was the sheer volume of written material. Radiating outward from the atrium, like the spokes of a wheel, were the large shelves of the stacks, containing all manner of books, scrolls, and papers.

So far it had not been a particularly busy morning tide. There was, as always, a few people engaged in research down on the first floor and the few others searching through the stacks. As usual, a few wayward volumes scattered around, needed to be returned to their proper place. Quills, inkwells, papers, always seemed to be left out or returned to the wrong place. Danomel found himself reflecting on how people involved in such orderly and meticulous professions could be so un-orderly and slovenly with the materials they used.

Moving among the stacks, returning the various volumes, gave Danomel time for reflection. His training with Mistress Tabeann had not been progressing as fast as he would have liked. Of course he had known going in that this was not something she normally did, and that any personal training would be as time permitted, as Tabeann obviously had many demands on her time. The slow pace did give Danomel plenty of time to devote to his own personal projects. Besides, theoretical study was something he could carry out on his own. It was trying the practical applications on his own that made him somewhat nervous.

Slow as it was, there was definite progress being made. He was developing a fairly decent base of theoretical knowledge. Perceiving the aether was certainly much easier, quicker and more detailed. And he was getting much better at associating what he saw in the aether with what it represented in the physical world. However, he had to this point avoided actually trying to do any direct manipulations. Having seen several examples of what could happen; Danomel did not want to attempt this without guidance. He was hopeful that he would get the chance to try some manipulation under supervision soon.

Returning to the tables, Danomel glanced around. Still quiet, slack time was definitely overrated.
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Finally!" An annoyed female voice rang out. "How this library stays in shape when no one appears to be working is the mystery I should be researching. The voice belonged to one Lucienda Marcada, daughter of Baron Marcada. Since the new Caesar came to power, she and her brother, Eiosif, had been frequent visitors to the Archives and the staff had instructions to allow them access to all but the most restricted sections of the library. Within three marks of her first visit, the staff was united in their decision to give this imperious sarcastic harpy as little help as possible. Avoiding her was once an easy thing but since she switched to soft soled shoes, Lucienda was been winning the game of cat and mouse more and more.

Lucienda wore a tight fitting outfit of red silk, a Kislovani style if Danomel recalled correctly. The Marcada children had become quite forceful in spreading Kislovani culture among the nobility since they learned of their future step-mother's dislike of it. "Now don't just stand there. I'm looking for the fifth volume of Meriklar the Wanderer and before you send me off on a wild swanmay chase it isn't with either the writings about Meriklar nor in the geography sections of the Western Kingdom. Well?" She demanded.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Maybe slack time was not so overrated after all. Danomel considers the woman; much like one might eye a suddenly discovered poisonous viper. Well, you did desire some sort of distraction, Danomel thought. What's the lesson here? Be careful what one asks for as one might be likely to get it.

Turning towards Lucienda, Danomel schools his facial expressions to one of polite interest. "Lady Lucienda, I thank you for the honor of the grace of your presence on what might have otherwise been just another quiet day."

With a slight Bow, Danomel indicates an empty chair near by. "Please M' lady have a seat. Your morning tide seems to not be going as you would please. I am hoping that you are not feeling off, or perhaps it is simply the stress of upcoming joyous events, that might be wearing you down?"

Danomel puts on a thoughtful face. "The fifth volume of Meriklar the Wanderer, for a research project you say? How fascinating! If you will allow me a short absence, I will endeavor to determine if the volume has been checked out or misplaced, and return here forthwith."

Danomel takes a step back and turns to depart. Hmm... Wonder how long she might sit there waiting?
Last edited by Danomel on Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The mention of upcoming joyous events earned Danomel a scowl and a glare that could curdle milk. "Oh no, you don't!" Lucienda protested. "I don't fall for the same tricks twice." She strode towards Danomel. "You've got me for a shadow until I get what I want. Meriklar. Fifth Journey." She repeated. "Off we go."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

"Tricks? What tricks might those be?" Danomel asks, trying to look innocent and keep his voice neutral. "Very well, come with me then, and we shall see if the volume has been borrowed."

Danomel started walking towards the front desk with the intent of checking the ledger to see if the volume had been checked out. "You said you checked writings about Meriklar the Wanderer and about the geography of the Western Kingdom? May I also assume you checked for writings by Meriklar, as they might possibly be in a different section from writings about Meriklar?" Danomel considered what he knew about Meriklar for a flicker. "Why the fifth volume?"

Glancing back towards Lucienda, Danomel commented "By your carefully crafted politically neutral expression obviously designed to hide your distaste for the upcoming nuptials of a few flickers ago, I take it that you are not overly enthusiastic about the upcoming wedding?"

Danomel stops and considers Lucienda for a flicker. A slight smile touches his mouth. "Yes, I know I have an inane grasp of the incredibly obvious, what can I say, it is a gift and a curse!"

"Forgive my ignorance, but it would seem to be a good thing, as far as most political alliances go. Not that I have any great expertise, but it would seem to be beneficial for a great many people, some obviously more than others.. So why are you so openly opposed to it? Or is it more specifically your prospective mother in-law that you are opposed to?"

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

At Danomel's innocence the look went from milk-curdling to paint-peeling but Lucienda said nothing more as Danomel led her to the front desk. "Of course I looked for writings by Meriklar!" She snapped. "But for reasons lurking somewhere in the cobwebbed brains of the organizers his works are shelved according to the locations of his journey instead all together!" She threw up her hands in frustration.

Danomel first heard about Meriklar that day in the Repository when he and Barrett researched shapeshifters and swanmays. Meriklar was a scholar around the time of Charlesmagne who took advantage of the newly created Golden Gates to travel the world. He published one book for each of his journeys, half travel log and half scholarly treatise. Meriklar was also a mage of some skill and often included descriptions or actual instructions on various phenomena that he witnessed. If Danomel remembered correctly, the fifth journey began his journey into the far west describing the deserts between the cities of Sabata and Dragonskeep.

If looks could kill, Danomel would be a smoking corpse as he continued to needle Lucienda about the upcoming marriage. "Have you ever met the bitch?" Lucienda asked coldly. "She's all meringue and razor blades and the only reason she does anything is benefit herself. Mark my words, she is the beginning of the end for this isle. Might as well sell the Palace to the Mouthies now and save yourself the wait. Now are you here to gossip or to find me my book?" She snapped.

According to the ledger, the book has not been checked out recently. Checking another set of records, Danomel discovers that the book was currently being rebound in their repair wing. It was sent there almost a month ago which is about twice as long as should be needed for a standard rebinding.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel took his time scanning the various legers and records. Quite a bit more time than was actually needed, giving himself time to considers his current charge. Not that he would wish to purposely dump Lucienda's company on any of the other staff, something they should all be eternally grateful for. She could use a little more meringue and a little less razor. Wonder what is bothering her, beyond being a spoiled lonely little aristocrat.

Finishing his search, Danomel again took his time jotting down a few notes and returning the records to their proper place. Leaning against the desk, He considers a point somewhere beyond Lucienda's left shoulder for a several flickers. "Interesting..." he murmured to himself.

Transferring his attention back to Lucienda, Danomel said; "No, I can't say that I have ever meet your future mother in-law. I find it a good general practice to try and avoid such situations, meeting with aristocracy that is. As I have found your rather apt description generally applicable to the whole."

Danomel lets a slight smile touch his mouth; "I mean no disrespect, though I will admit to a certain curiosity about the source of such a passionate dislike. But I guess my curiosity must go unresolved as the subject obviously causes you some amount of discomfort."

Danomel pauses for another flicker as he studies the woman before him. "Now, concerning Meriklar's fifth volume, it was taken off the shelves, for some much needed restoration work, some time ago. Technically it should have been finished and back already. It is probably just a simple administrative glitch. But I really need to check on it. I thank you for bringing it to my attention. If you wish, you may accompany me as far as the entrance to restoration wing, but you will not be allowed inside, due to materials being used and the nature of the work. Or you can wait here, either way, I will be back forthwith."

Nodding to Lucienda, Danomel heads off towards the restoration wing.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Lucienda scoffed. "The woman causes me some amount of discomfort. This conversation is more along the lines of the high pitched screech of a rusty machine as it inefficiently grinds its way through its task." She commented to his back as she stayed a half step behind Danomel on the way to the restoration wing. "Really the only question in this instance is whether the part needs to greased or replaced for things to work more smoothly." She said sweetly offering both carrot and stick in one sentence.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel responds back over his shoulder “An interesting analogy you are making. It does have one minor flaw though. It has been my observation that machines do the function for which they were designed when properly operated. It has also been my experience that most problems are not due to squeaky wheels or rusty gears, and therefore are not requiring maintenance. Rather problems can for the most part be traced to ineffective, inexperienced, ignorant, or indifferent operators taking out their pent up frustrations on a piece of equipment that was just performing its task.”

Reaching the door to the restoration wing, Danomel stops and turns towards Lucienda. “Really, you are not allowed into this area. Please do not be difficult and wait here.”

Turning, Danomel opens the door and enters the restoration wing.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

OOC: Doing a short tie over for Tristam who is currently away. Depending on the developing situation I may take it over completely

Lucienda's laughter was short and throaty, though it did not appear feigned. "When one uses a machinery only rarely, one can not be expected to know the intricacies of its design. Especially if it is a boring little gadget." The woman's hand fell on Danomel's shoulder and she held him from entering the Restoration Wing for a few flickers. "I'll be waiting here. Don't take too long or I might…. Well, you won't like what I will do." She released him then and crossed her arms, tapping her foot impatiently.

The moment the door closed behind him, Danomel's senses were assaulted by the heavy smell of musty tomes and glue, his throat constricting as the dust choked him within flickers. A number of books and tomes in various stages of repair were strewn along the tables and it appeared the person in charge of such work was currently away from his or her post. To the right a neat pile of re-bound tomes was ready to be returned to the Archives, while on the left a much bigger pile awaited its turn on the table. A low window overlooked a garden on the far end of the chamber and tune drifted inside; too faint for Danomel to pick it up, though by the sound of it, the owner of the voice was a woman.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel pauses for a flicker, meting Lucienda's gaze. A slight smile touches his mouth. "A diamond in the rough, a rare find indeed! I shall endeavor to return post haste."

Upon entering the restoration wing, Danomel pauses for a flicker, putting his sleeve over his mouth and nose and coughs a few times to clear his throat. He looks around for something to cover his lower face with. The smells immediately bring back memories of a similar, if somewhat smaller room in the back of the Repository, though he did not recall it being so dusty. But then this place did work on many times more books. This place definitely needs better ventilation.

Danomel looked for the work log and schedule, which he checks to see if the book actually made it here, who checked it in, and what had been done to it. He also scans the titles of the pile of books waiting to be returned. Baring any success, he checks the work tables to see what is currently being worked on.

Passing on to the far end of the room, Danomel moves over to the window to get some fresh air, and consider what to do next.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Casual look revealed not when or indeed if the work on the book had been done, the book either never coming to the restoration wing, or it had been restored and returned a while ago. Indeed, it was a few pages earlier that the book was listed as arriving. It was not listed as having left the actual room. Simon Ginneke was listed as the person who reported the tome damaged and indeed it was the Imperial Thaumaturgist that had brought the book to be restored himself. Apparently several pages have been torn off or damaged beyond repair. As if someone had wanted to keep a few pages for reference, but has been too lazy to make notes, instead simply ripping the pages out. The book has been temporarily rebound without the missing pages and a request for a non-damaged copy to be brought so the missing pages could be added was filed.

The tables were contained almost a dozen books, all in various stages of restoration and work. None were the one Danomel sought for Lucienda, and thus he would have to face her once more, without the tome young woman sought. Through the window palace gardens were visible, and a woman with a somewhat graying hair hummed a merry tune, whilst picking the flowers and arranging them in a woven basket hanging upon her arm. She was focused on the row upon row of flowers, not noticing Danomel's form upon the window as she approached, a wide, happy smile on her face.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

While at the window, Danomel takes a burn to add this new information to the notes he had already jotted down. He considers the developing time line for a few flickers. The date and reason, missing pages, for the book being brought here, and who brought it. It was checked in, but there are no records of it actually being worked on. It should have already been back on the shelf. Conclusions? If it is not here, then it was removed, or it is still here and just lost. It would take a while to do a proper search. Neither am I overly familiar with the process performed here. Need to speak with the person who brought it here and the area supervisor.

Glancing back at the door, a thought suddenly came to Danomel. It could not be this simple? Moving back to the table holding the books awaiting work, Danomel takes a burn to look around all sides and underneath the table. Wouldn't it be a kick if it simply fell off and was not noticed? If that happened, I wonder how long it would take anyone to notice? What's the work process? Do they just look at what is on the table, or do they check the logs for dates?

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

While the work methods of the Imperial Archives remained something of a mystery, the fate of volume five of Meriklar the Wanderer would not. Eventually Danomel found what he sought, stashed upon a shelf well out of the way. Not every tome or book was bound...and most tomes in most libraries the world over rebound their collections routinely and in a style typical of of their resources...but the empty, gutted shell of the needed book finally presented itself, bind, cover, but not a page in sight. Regardless of how quickly the book should have been restored, it was clearly not done as yet, as if the staff were overworked or they had encountered some delay in the restoration process.

Or the restoration staff was inadequate to maintain speedy recovery. After all, not a soul was in sight just now...save for the Gardener beyond the window, of course...though clear signs of recent activity could be seen. Sal Soda, Borax, and saltpetre were recently mixed and applied with careful strokes to several documents lying around the room, and pots of the curious preservatives remained ready for use, though there seemed to be precious little room for any more restoration projects.
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel returned the cover and bind to the shelf and headed for the door. Not much more could be done here. It is probably the nature of the work, Danomel thought. Not very glamorous being stuck back here, poor ventilation and all. Still wonder what happened to the pages? Oh well, time to face the wrath of Luceinda.

Exiting back to the Archives proper, Danomel takes a moment to straighten his clothing somewhat and run his fingers through his hair. Probably going to carry the odor for several burns, he thought to himself.

Looking around for Luceinda, Danomel comments "I am sorry to inform you m'lady that the particular volume you are interested in has suffered some damage and vandalism. It is going to be some time before it becomes available."

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"No!"

If a porcelain, picturesque face could possibly warp itself into disappointment in a better fashion, it could scarcely be imagined. Stomping her tiny foot upon the floor, Lucienda's entire body recoiled from the impact, an effect that was both flattering and comedic on her picturesque, feminine form. "No no no! Well doesn't that fuck all?" She spat, clearly very comfortable with vulgarity, and doing very little to control her pitch despite the somber surroundings.

Of course, her little outburst gave a large number of heads to poke out from various hiding places...over bookshelves, from behind chairs and couches...from around corners...not unlike a colony of prairie dogs or ground moles, they all peeked out seemingly at once to survey the tyrannical blonde before they quickly and deliberately disappeared again, just as would a colony of prairie dogs when facing the wolf.

For Lucienda, the problems just never ceased. First, there was that Bitch...and then, the only real chance she and her dear brother had to get at that bitch turned out to be perfectly mad (the mutilation of her brother's penis gave Lucienda no end of mirth, and she still chuckled to this day when she recalled the expression on his face)...and soon after that, perfectly dead. To make matters worse, the only possible man she could have possibly seduced to get at The Bitch also died...so she (and her dear brother, minus a small portion of penis) took to the notion of the occult to meet their needs.

Of course, there were plenty of references she could find for the occult. Most were lost when the Basilisk's Stare finally burned to the ground...but there were some, and supposedly, there might be one in some stupid book written by stupid Meriklar (the fifth stupid book, no less!)...which was naturally ruined. If Lucienda didn't know better, she might have suspected some form of...design.

Not from that SHORT Bitch, she decided, discarding The Bitch in favor of some other enemy. It wasn't as if Lucienda Marcada didn't have enemies. She and her brother had forged a few alliances in their day, but they had made more than their share of enemies, too. What was worse, she was running out of people she could seduce, too! Ranier? No. Azarin? No. What about that Crane fellow? Not the pimp, but the killer...

Taking a deep breath, Lucienda Marcada tried to regain some sense of control. As a demonologist, she was well aware of the raw power that rage could have...and she had done much to improve her control of passion (when, and if, she chose to do so). Still, it felt good to unleash her anger at times. And unless she missed it, something in the Imperial Archives...something nearby, or something recently brought nearby...smelled of the Nether.

"Ok. Well...forget that manual. Tell me about ghosts. I'm looking for...books about...ghosts," she tried. Hopeless, she thought. Who in the hell would know that?!? Still, it was a shot in the dark, so to speak. Eisolf might have managed to awaken the ghost, but it was a clumsy, uncertain effort...and they needed to know more, even if they would have to fabricate the spells themselves.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Keeping his expression passively neutral, Danomel waited for Lucinda's tirade to run its course. In the short time that he had been exposed to the lady, her throwing a tantrum was not really much of a surprise. However, the apparent reason for it was somewhat interesting.

As Lucinda did not seem the scholarly type, her overt reactions seemed somewhat out of character and proportion to such a minor problem as a missing book. After all there were other places to look for a copy. She is an aristocrat after all, weaned on subversion, so this might all be an act, Danomel reminded himself, but then for whose benefit in this place? Then again, if she was looking for some specific piece of information for some nefarious scheme or purpose, then that might also explain this obvious overreaction.

In spite of himself, a slight smile touched his mouth as one of several classic, and appropriate, colloquialisms his father had been found of and which annoyed his mother slipped into his mind. Count to ten when angry - swear when very angr, or make in anger what is lacking in reason. Danomel felt he was developing a new apparition for some of these simple sayings.

"Ghosts?" As her tirade ran down, the sudden shift in topic caught Danomel somewhat off guard. His eyes narrowed a bit as he tried to fathom the sudden shift from a book about a mans travels to ghosts.

"Hmm... it might actually aid your, uhh… research if I had some idea what you are looking for?" Danomel responds. "For instance, concerning ghosts, are we talking popular fiction, mythology, legends, genus, sightings, physiology, psychology, exorcisms, summoning, or some other category?"

Another thought occured to Danomel, causing his eyes to narrow even further to the point of squinting. "I am assuming your interest is purely academic? I would hope you would not do something as dangerous as trying to actually deal with a ghost?"

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Deal with a ghost? Try get rid of a ghost!" she corrected quickly...quickly, because she was a practiced, capable liar. Any hundreds of people would truly believe they saw ghosts and spectres when they were frightened or perhaps drunk. Or high from hemp. "I heard a rumor once that this fellow...Meriklar...write some things about ghosts in his fifth book, when he went to the...ida know...the West."

A new thought occurred to her...one that couldn't fail to work. Indeed, someone might be moving against her and eisolf...and that was a situation that would need attention at once. Whoever that might be, he was crafty...and so well-hidden that they hadn't even noticed. For a very, very brief moment, Lucienda was a touch frightened at the thought of this. Most of the people in the Citadel were fools who prated on about their abilities some colorful cocks...but this enemy was far more crafty than anyone else. If he truly existed, he had managed to thwart her plans without ever being seen, heard, or even present.

"Who had the book last, I wonder?" she asked. "Perhaps I could write to this person and ask them about the passages that interest me. That would save me time, and I wouldn't have to bother myself with reading the whole thing to know whether or not it could be useful! Yes, yes...I want to see the book's records. That should do nicely."

It was unlikely that the last name to have checked out the book would be the real name of her opponent...if this person even existed...but it was a chance she was willing to take. If it were a fraud, she would have lost nothing...but in the off chance she might recognize it...and in the off chance that this person might be in a position to know of her and Eisolf...then she would have what she needed.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Watching Lucinda, as she quickly quantified his assumptions, Danomel heaved a mental sigh. Obviously there is more here left unsaid and hidden, at least in light of some of her previous statements, as well as outbursts. Her obsession with the book belies her intent. What might her real reasons be though? Her soon to be mother in-law maybe? Wonder if the Repository has a copy? There is at least one in the series there. Will have to check it out later, maybe see what she is so obsessed about. Not that I am going to suggest that. Not sure how Stanis would handle this one, not that I would wish it upon him.

“Yes, that might yield some useful information” Danomel said. “Let us head over to the desk and I shall look it up at once.”

As they walk towards the front desk, Danomel considers his options for eliciting more information, and decides to try a slightly different, if somewhat riskier tact. Glancing at Lucinda, he asks in a somewhat off hand manner; “So what pray tell is the connection between a desert spirit and the Citidal?”
Last edited by Danomel on Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Hell, I don't know. If someone hadn't destroyed the book in question, I'd read it and find out!" snapped Lucienda quickly, though she moved along pliantly alongside Danomel. In truth, Necromancy was not so difficult to practice, given that most ghosts (in her very brief experience) truly wanted to be summoned back to the Tether. Curiously, it was not unlike working with Demons...only far less dangerous. Sure, ghosts could affect the living in very subtle, destructive ways...but it was nothing to compare with the raw power that the average demon could unleash.

But that's hardly the point, chided Lucienda to herself. The real goal was research, since the Stare was gone...burned to a crisp...and the Coven were more or less disbanded. Good riddance to them, chided the woman to herself, fully aware that she and Eisolf had survived the tempestuous death of that dark and sinister organization by virtue of their grace and tact alone. Indeed, now Azarin was ruler of the island...which was a perfectly delightful turn of circumstances that signalled a new day for she and her dear brother. Perhaps we could impose upon the dear Caesar to manage this...person...that confounds me so? pondered Lucienda. Whoever it might be, it certainly couldn't hurt to have them detained.

"I don't even know if anything is there. But if the savages of the desert have some method to drive away spirits, well, I should be pleased to learn what I can about it, non?" she added, suddenly all sweet and innocent. After all, the book was lost to her...nothing could stop that now. However, she couldn't be too upset for very long. After all, regardless of what happened, she knew more about the Caesar than anyone else...and she knew he could be begged to grant a few favors if she found herself in any real trouble.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

As they made there way to the main desk, Danomel mulled over his brief exposure to Lucinda in silence. She had built up something of a reputation with the staff in fairly short order. His observations tended to mirror the staffs opinion. However, this short personal exposure, he felt, added a bit of depth to her character that had been missing. There was no doubt, in accordance with prevailing opinion, that she was a royal pain in the rear. Though now he could flesh out her description as a self centered, self serving, selfish, conniving, manipulative royal pain in the rear, with a grandiose view of her own self importance. The fact that she was intelligent and attractive made for a deadly combination.

Danomel ideally wondered about the information she was seeking and her ultimate goal. The thought occurred to him that he might be putting whoever had the book before in danger if he gave her the name. While it was certainly possible that the last person to use the book had removed the initial page that had caused the book to go to restoration, the fact that all the pages were missing now tended to indicate that the occurrence was more likely internal to the archives. Of course the simplest explanation was that they were out being recopied, and had not disappeared under mysterious circumstance.

As he scanned the records to see who last had the book, Danomel thought; maybe I should suggest something else to occupy her mind, after all, if she really dislikes her prospective mother in law so much, and her prospective mother in law know this, she is missing an excellent opportunity.

"Pardon my mentioning this, as your feelings for your prospective mother in law are obvious," Danomel began. "And assuming she has the same opinion of you, you would seem to be missing a sweet bet here."

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Now who in all the darkest of hells is THIS to speak to me so candidly?!? thought Lucienda, very briefly pondering how she should see the nosey little twerp drawn and quartered for his trite comments. Of course no one liked The Bitch. After all, she was a Westerner...and everyone knew that Westeners were spineless, money-hungry mongrels fit only for vermin. Even papa knew that, but he was being politic in his marriage...a tact young Lucy knew all too well (if, indeed, thirty yahren could still be considered "young").

But there had to be some reason behind the librarian's sudden interest. Does he suspect me? she pondered. Suspect me of what? I haven't done anything recently! Well... Lucy smiled. I haven't done anything Public in some time. So there's nothing to suspect...unless he's baiting for something. Why would he do that? Cocking her head to one side, Lucienda had a feeble answer. I wonder if he's a spy? A librarian spy, maybe for That Bitch...she IS a Westerner...or perhaps a spy for Uncle Erwin?

Erwin was the real concern behind her family's changes in fortune. The moment the Duke of Dort smelled blood on the streets, he would "manage" matters in a way consistent with his reputation...which was largely flawless. It was the sheer terror of Erwin's response that made any physical threat upon dear papa Illish impossible in the past...and it would no doubt be the Duke's very commanding "protection" that would serve his trusted vassal in yahren to come, too. Still, it would be wise if she listened to this impudent upstart, if for no other reason that to find out just who he served. And it might even be possible that he simply wants for himself, too, added Lucienda. Indeed, she could make him rich...but she had to have a reason why to do such a thing.

"I confess, I haven't given her much thought in recent days," she lied once again, and once again a lie of such skill she could have fooled even herself. "To what kind of...sweet bet...do you refer? I don't understand," she replied, still kind, sweet, and with enough of a touch of blonde to make the presentation perfect.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel took a moment, as he looks for the name in the ledger, trying to fathom what was going through Lucinda's mind. Mentally he smiled to himself. As she had already demonstrated a quick intellect and erratic temper, He had to assume this latest bit of dissimilation was nothing short of artwork. Quiet curiosity? Wonder what storms of emotions are hidden just beneath the surface. Yet not a single cue visible. But then, such a response in and of itself is somewhat telling. No biting sarcasm, no flare of temper, no baiting... To put forth a front tells of much deeper scheming... But then again I am probably asking for trouble, and should mind my own business. In an abstract way, I suppose aristocrats are a necessary part of the landscape, though I would wonder what it would be like without them.

"Well, to be blunt, you have made no secret of your feelings for your future mother in law." Danomel began. "However it is most likely costing you a good deal of political capital among the upper echelons, were as we are all aware, there has been a great deal of turbulent change lately. Not that you don't have an ample supply of political capital. Nor that you are overly concerned about the importance of perception, you still need to be aware of it."

"To put it simply, you need to make peace with your prospective mother in law in the most public gushingly sentimental gratuitous way possible. As the peace maker, you get a certain level of immunity in the perception arena. Not that you would plot against her, but this sort of action on your part will most likely make your prospective mother in law extremely suspicious, ands possibly very paranoid. With a little luck, you might get her to lash out at one of your peace gestures publicly, making you the good one, and her the bad, or at lest perceived that way."

My good dead for the day, though I doubt it will accomplish anything! Danomel thinks to himself.

"Of course my understanding of the political climate is probably overly simplistic. So you can take it for what it is worth." Danomel finishes.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Lucienda opened her mouth to loose another stream of venom upon this impudent librbarian, then closed it again as she mulled the idea over. She could care less about the opinions of fools after all. With wealth and power, people would think what she wanted. However, anything that would make the Bitch edgy and paranoid was worth considering even it would make her ill. Perhaps Eosif could manage it. If he was high on hemp that day.

"You're right." Lucienda spoke at last. "Your understanding of things is simple." She said coldly. "Now about that name?"

It took some time for Danomel to find the entry as it was quite some time since the book had been checked out, almost two yahren. The book was last checked out by Simon Ginneke, the Imperial Thaumaturge.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel just nods his head with a slight smile at Luciendas comments.

His smile turns to an expression of puzzlement as he keeps flipping backwards though the Archive book loan records. After several burn, he finally locates an entry referring to the desired book. His expression turns to a frown of puzzlement as he cross checks the date.

“This is indeed odd,” Danomel comments. “The volume was last checked out around two yarn ago. Unlikely that you will have any luck in that direction. Though someone has used the book far more recently, there is not going to be a record since they did not check it out.”

Muttering to himself, but sure that Lucienda was hearing every word, Danomel glances at his notes. “Most odd, the book was returned in good condition, yet some unnamed person reported it damaged not so long ago, but there is no mention of the contents being removed. Seems almost deliberate...”

With a sigh Danomel turns towards Lucienda. “I am sorry to say that there has been some glaring administrative oversights and they have inconvenienced you. Rest assured I will get to the bottom of these administrative errors.”

Danomel politely waits for her response, hoping she will just go away and hoping whatever her designs are have been either thwarted to some extent, or at least modified.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)

Return to “Patrician's Ring Archive”