Red Banner OOC

Moderator: Mods

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Red Banner OOC

Post by Grey Wolf »

Hmmmm, yes and explanation and a bit more.

Before I say anything else I would like to point out that I noticed how very excited you all were about the whole Recess thing as well as the Red Banner thread. Both on boards and in chat. And I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the eloquence of the posts since hyperposting is often done with a much shorter posties. There has been quite a number of players in this particular thread and there was a lot of possibility for both mischief and good deeds.

However. Yes, there is a however. It has gotten a bit out of control. I admit that at times I myself have been overwhelmed by the number of posts and information needed in order to catch up. But, even that is not the reason why I was forced to take such an unpopular measure as a rollback.

1. Posting Etiquette.
I know this here thingie can sound unfair at times. But, I also know that you lot are all wonderful people and not selfish. We all get carried away, but I am sure it won't happen again. While it is exciting and fun to be able to post twice a day and hyper with someone in the thread, we need to think of the others. Of those not able to hyper. Two or three posts a week is not nearly as fun as a posting binge, but not everyone is able to post daily. So, I will have to ask you to exercise patience in the future and wait for others to post. Especially for the Mod. It is very hard for a mod to read everything that happened and then add something of his own without strong-arm tactics and artificial changes to the scene. So, I would ask you to hold yer horses in the future and wait for mod to post before galloping away.

2. Assuming Success
Ah, the dreaded delay. We have so much we want to say and do, but midway to the goal we have to wait for a short answer from someone else. So, why don't we assume he says yes and pass through. He or she won't mind. Well, he or she might and you have just assumed success. But, that is not the only issue. Sometimes we have done something in the past, maybe with another mod and he did not mind. So, the current mod won't mind either. Are you sure? Of course not. So, I will ask you to refrain from assuming even the minor success and wait for the mod call. Mind reading in a crowded room is nearly impossible. Magic might not work because or unforeseen circumstances. The bar might be out of whiskey and you can't get one. Floor might be slippery and you might trip during the dance. The musician might make a mistake. Stop and wait. Let the mod decide. That way you will be sure.

3. Rudeness towards other players
While the other problems are listed in the rules, this is something that I consider the biggest issue with this thread. We are all equal in Tazlure. Some of us might play a Caesar, some might be a lowly pickpocket, but we are all equal behind the scenes. Read the posts by others. Read then. Don't skim through them. If you skim, how can you expect them to read your posts and not just skim like you did. Respond to them in an IC manner. If I poke you in the ribs you will squirm. My finger won't sink into your skin. If I yell you will hear me. As I will hear you. If you ignore me, I might ignore you. But, you did hear me even if you decided not to reply. So, read the other posts and reply to them. In the order they were written. Don't fudge the order because This-and-that did something that interests you more. Logic and reason should be your guide.

4. Use of OOC knowledge
Okay. Back to rules. Just because someone else sees something does not mean you have to notice it as well. You are not clairvoyant. Nor omnipotent. We are all humans and far from perfect. So are our characters. Don't fudge the logic because there is a danger around the next corner. As someone said to me not long ago "Failing is fun too". I know it is scary. I know it is dangerous. But, if you always win, where is the fun. After a while you will grow bored. I speak from personal experience from Tazlure. Some of my best threads were the ones where my character failed. That is something that comes with time. And while this may sound presumptuous, being a Mod helps you accept failure more easily. When you run NPCs you know they have to fail. So, through them you learn to roll with it and then your character can recover from the bump more easily.

The solution I chose might not be the most popular one, but it was necessary. I will take over the thread from Guido, and run it from now on. Posting rate will be a minimum of two posts per week, more if time and those involved in the thread allow. Meaning if you all post sooner I will give it my best to post as well. I was tempted to do a much bigger rollback, but since this is an impassable thread, it needs to be wrapped up soon. Thus, I will allow for some of the problems to remain and fix them on the fly.

From you I expect to think of the issues I outlined above and try to keep your posting in the Tazlure spirit. Impassable does not mean you are all going to die. Impassable means that something profound is going to change and moving past it would cause a timeknot. So, in order to keep myself from rambling, I will stop here and get on with the actual Banner post.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

Can I just add that I agree with the points that Grey Wolf had made here. I think that the tendency to make assumptions about what is known and the effects of actions etc has gone way too far, particularly in more recent posts. The thread was a lot of fun and so events were allowed to flow. However, I probably should have stamped down on this a little earlier :oops: . So everyone take a deep breath, take stock of your position in the thread and take things a little slower. I’m more than happy to let GW take this to its conclusion as it probably needs a new perspective to get it off the ground again after the rollback. Have fun.
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

An excellent intervention Grey Wolf :) *huggles Guido because multi player threads with hyperposters are some of the most difficult (yet most satisfying) to manage*

A reminder of a sub rule regarding hyperposting:

I am a hyperposter myself, as are most GD's and mods (except that we've learned to put our energy in modding and admining instead). However we realize that hypering can dominate a thread and push out those player characters we also love and care about who simply cannot keep up with an hourly posting rate and are thus forced to read literally pages before they can even attempt to post and often find themselves totally out of the scene. Thus we have the institution of the sidethread. In a sidethread you can hyper one on one to your hearts content in conversation without disrupting the general thread with a flood of posts. See what the folks at Simple Pleasures are doing for an example :)
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

A small request from a newcomer...

Post by Aerin Penna Seleratus »

I just spent a few hours reading through what I call "this Banner thread that everyone keeps talking about" and on the subject of hyperposting, I was wondering if I could make a small suggestion/request which might help curb the problem down a little?

I was wondering if the mods, on their turns, could include a small OOC note at the bottom of their posts (seperated from the post by an HR or something) which would tell/remind people of the posting order, whether it is the same, new characters added, old characters removed, or whatever. In a thread like the Harbor Entrance one I am in at the moment, with only two players, posting order is easy to follow, but in banner, with the amount of people in there...welll...I envy not the amount of antiacid that you poor mods must consume on a daily basis. lol

It certainly would make it easier to read at times, if not easier to play, in my humble 'take it or leave it' opinion.
”The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” – Nietzsche

Avatar by Draconis (Found and resized by Paige)
http://drakonis.org
Claire Owens
Civus

Post by Claire Owens »

It's not a bad idea, Aerin, but I've noticed that the mod posts tend to acknowledge the players and summarise the events already... I personally feel that another note would interrupt the flow of the thread and perhaps be a bit redundant.

Anyways, I have a question sidethreads - do they count towards the "three thread" limit?
[size=75][b]"The heart wants not coffee nor coffee houses. The heart wants a friend. Coffee is only an excuse." - Old Turkish saying[/b]

Avatar by crystaldragon at allavatars.com[/size]
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Anyways, I have a question sidethreads - do they count towards the "three thread" limit?

No, they do not,only the main general thread is counted.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Just a small note from your friendly mod.

I shall not, under any circumstances decide anything that I do not have to. Never ever. That means until someone walks down a corridor, or jumps up and climbs the rope, they will not move. Unless of course a big chunk of rock slams into them. I If you are pushed you will be nudged to write about it, but I will not write about a char walking until you do.

Now, to be more precise. Until someone in the Red Banner - Underside starts walking you will remain at the top of stairs. And so far nobody walked, but you lot talked about it a lot. You move the thread. I won't do it for you.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

*huggles the cuddly Wolf* Indeed and we should move faster since it is getting a bit hot upstairs.
[color=green]Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something right." [/color]

Avatar by the wonderful Finn. Much thanks!!
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

*grins* Yes Vanir, the clocking is ticking methinks!
Barrett
Priest of Aurelius - Querist

Post by Barrett »

I was waiting for a response from Valsert. If the place is about to come tumbling down and there's no way out, then Barrett wouldn't want to lead others into the dark, so to speak. :(
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Talanwei Fortisse »

Yeah, was kinda waiting for Val but no worries! I'm movin! Or...trying to make moves...
[b]Convo Kill Count[/b]: 1
[b]Funny Chat Moments[/b]: 3
Barrett
Priest of Aurelius - Querist

Post by Barrett »

Hehe. thanks, Valsert.
*swoons*
"My hero." :lol:
valsert
Sergeant of the Purple Guard

Post by valsert »

Right - T - O

Sorry about the lack of val-ness I will do better.

The truth is, I was struggling to hit the Tazlure site once a week for a little bit, but I am mostly back in action now.

I can continue with my 2-5 posts a week for Valsert I think.

But I am not in any condition to be picked on by scaly shap clawed women...so keep your hands to your self Maeve!
---

Side not: Really Corbin, where are you getting your intel? How DID you find out that the fire was started by 'my men'?

I know that it was mentioned that they were 'my allies' which with the limited information the PC's know would be a stretch of logic for any 'great mind'.

:evil:

And Barrett...hehe...I had to save my favorite stinker...err i mean THINKER from getting carved up so early. Thanksgiving is not for months yet!
Last edited by valsert on Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

valsert wrote:Side not: Really Corbin, where are you getting your intel? How DID you find out that the fire was started by 'my men'?

I know that it was mentioned that they were 'my allies' which with the limited information the PC's know would be a stretch of logic for any 'great mind'.

Well, the logic needn't be TOO stretchy Val! If you think about the fact that Valsert knew that an attack was impending, I (in the same position) would think that since he (Val) knew so much about it, that he was involved in the attack itself. Don't know if I would have called them 'your men' but I'd definitely think that you were involved in some capacity.
valsert

Post by valsert »

Ahhh! Talanwei, my furry little friend....

By that logic, one would assume that sense Barrett knew there was dark magic involved, then it was HIS people doing it.

Or that because the University knew of the changer...it was their pet?

Or that because the Empire its self did not act to stop the invasion of PI, then the Empire its self was funding the ones attacking.
-

I can see where the statement could be a generic one, lumping the attackers in with Valserts name because Val spoke of it. but you have to concede the point that up until the very night of the red banner thread, Valsert has always been a man in the back ground. Involved, sure, but never a leader. Nor has he ever been involved in anything less then the up and up.

So to assume that a group of people doing an attack are 'his men' is a little far fetched for my thinking.

I mean its not a huge deal. Just seems a tad off. And its sad really, because now I have to kill Corbin...and I liked him. :lol:
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Those are some valid points and honestly, some of those things plausibly could have actually been the case! We all know otherwise but I see the point you’re making.

However, there’s a bit more direct, incriminating evidence in this case because when Val said:
valsert wrote:"This building has been marked. By morning it will be nothing more then a pile of ash. Do not ask me how I know this, because I can not reveal it. But we MUST hurry, or leave what ever evil is here to the flames of justice!"

That’s biased, insider knowledge if I ever saw it :wink: it’s almost verified that you’re involved at least.

To which Barrett responded:
Barrett wrote:"Sergeant Forell! I assume that you have some connection to whatever powers choose to destroy this building.

I admit, using the verbiage “Valsert’s men” was a step past what Barrett assumed and perhaps not quite IC knowledge but I don’t think he needs to die over it! :wink:

Oh and HEY! I am not furry! You’re…furry…*ahem* :roll:
valsert

Post by valsert »

Right o.

And I truly don't have a big problem with it. The information was going to hit the streets at one point or another, and was expected to.

:) I just think its funny.

:evil: Watch out for yourself Mr. Dillion, and remember...just because you are paranoid, it does not meen im not out to get you :twisted:

j/k
valsert

Post by valsert »

WERE ALL GONA DIE!!!! :shock:
Keaira Morgandy
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Keaira Morgandy »

Look, crazy Tigre with her angerness and psycho bitchness just saved you (*cough*byaccident*cough*). I'm a hero!
[size=75]'All things truly wicked start from an innocence.'
-- [i]Ernest Hemingway[/i][/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

:o I certainly didn't see that one coming. Evidently Prof. T. wasn't paying much attention to shielding. :? Anyhow, nicely done!

Now, instead of a heroic death against an evil professor, the underside party will just die pointlessly when the building collapses in flamey bricky destruction... :cry:
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Sorry I hadn't been checking this thread!

With regards to Corbin thinking that it was Valsert's men that were attacking the train of logic really went that Valsert knew pretty much precisely when the attack was going to take place (to within 5 burns or so) and that the building had been marked, which also suggested that he knew the process by which a building was targeted for destruction, plus the general tone such as saying 'the flames of justice' which indicates a sympathy with the cause. Then of course there was Barret's comment which provided a link.

As for the term 'Valsert's men' it was not meant in the sense of 'people acting under the command of Valsert', but as in 'Valsert's associates' or 'those people that Valsert has identified as about to attack the Red Banner' - it is just a different usage of the word, really, so it is actually Valsert that is being paranoid, not innocent Corbin who just wants to blow doors in ;). Really just a throw away comment for brevity in the heat of the conflict!

As for Keira - I'm just glad that she wasn't offended by Corbin's groping or he might have suffered anger-death :shock: !
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

I suppose someone else killing Tarrant makes sense....Ashtallion killing him for a second time would be down right greedy!

As for dying in a bricky destruction, ahem, Asht is there, Your Friendly Neighbourhood Wonder Wizard! A few bricks won't be a problem........... :? Mind you there is the burning inferno on top of their heads to contend with also, that just might prove problematic.
Last edited by Ashtallion Urdil on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

:oops: Sorry guys....

I'm doing well at becoming barbecued paladinling though!
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Is Ssin the only PC outside the building other than the Giantess with the arrow in her arm?
"If all things are energy and a wizard is a master of manipulating it, then as a politician am I studying the greatest sorcery of all."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Most Heroic Male PC (2008)
Most Religious PC (2008/2006)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Yes. Sssinith is the only PC outside other than Neit. Difference being that he is at the front door and Neit is at the back door.

Return to “Imperial Mail Archive”