Dort Entrance Thread

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Dort Entrance Thread

Post by Vanadius »

Dort Entrance Thread: The Golden Gates

This is the entrance to the capital of the Isle of Dort, the city that gives its name to the Duchy. Coming from the rolling green hills surrounding Dort, the impressive high stone walls made from the famous dark stone that is successfully exported because of its hardiness, creates a first impression of a fort. The visitors may wonder at the dry moat that seems to suggest that more peaceful times have come to this town now that the Great Battle is slowly fading into history.

It is the gates that proudly announce what really occupies the minds and hearts of the people of Dort. Carefully gilded in an ancient Dwarven mastery of wood ans stonecutting and freshly painted as if the gates just rose from the ground yesterday, it is clear that this is the city were money talks and none are shy to exhibit their wealth.

A sign above the gates reads "Duke Von Zu Dort-Billigh welcomes you to Dort. May your visit be profitable and blessed by the lady." It hangs under the shield of the Duchy, featuring a steaming hot plate of stew after the legend how the first Duke of Dort was but a humble farmer who was wise enough to offer the Steward of Tal Alkeen his hospitality when this ruler of the Citadel returned weary from a battle.

Two guards in blue uniforms with obsessively large yellow tassels salute each visitor and with a pleasant smile ask them after their business, offering helpful information where they can.

Post by Guest »

Estwerp approached the city gates from the dirt road leading from the hills, mouth agape. To one from Hafne's Rat's Castle and used to the humble dwellings of the men of Skara, such wealth openly flaunted seemed madness. A place like this . . . I'll have no problem finding a job. There might even be a ship in the harbour. Ahh, 'twill be good to feel the shift of the timbers beneath my feet again. He mouth twitched upwards slightly at the good memories. Then flattened again at the not-so-good ones.

The scrawny man continued on his way to the gates. He pulled his tattered green cloak tighter around him, and could feel the familiar lump in his throat as he approached the guards. Their uniforms alone would probably feed a family for a good while. Estwerp's hand involuntarily reached up to flatten his hair. He looked curiously at the empty moat, then shrugged. Dort was obviously a place fairly safe from attack. Another glance at the thick stone walls only served to strengthen his conviction. Any force trying to take Dort would have a hard time of it.

His eyes were drawn towards the golden gates once more. And then down to the uniformed men beneath it. Clasping his hands together, he stepped forward to address them.
"G-g-greetings, sirs. I would like to enter your fine city. Are there any f-forms to fill out?"
He winced inwardly at the bungled delivery, and continued.
"And where would one go to find the h-harbour? I'm a sailor by trade, but every sailor needs a ship."
Estwerp stopped and awaited their reply.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

The tradetide sky was bright and clear, which was fortunate for Entwerp as the Golden Gates were clogged with traders and traffic. All day long, carts left the city laden with goods for distribution across the countryside - from grain and vegetables, oils and spices to steel and iron, fine clothes and tapestries and household goods. These were produced from the city or imported from the Isles and beyond. In the other direction, merchants brought milk, cheese, beef and leather from the Midlands and of course, barrel upon barrel of the infamous Islay whiskey.

The sailor from Hafne found himself stuck behind a dairy farmer and his flatulent cow for half a mark before he finally reached the front of the queue. The guards eyed him over and seeing nothing of note, lost interest. It was clear that they just wanted to process him as quickly as possible.

"Forms? Yep. We'll need your name, occupation and business in the city. Then sign here."

"The harbour's to the north. Just follow the smell of the ocean past Market Square. You can't miss it."
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]

Post by Guest »

New sights and smells assaulted Estwerp's nostrils as he waited in line. The heady aroma of Islay whiskey mixed with the grounding smell of dried beef, which was in turn caught up with the waft of exotic spices on the breeze. Estwerp surrendered himself to these things, glad to be back amongst civilisation. It has been too long. Much too long. Not even the dull-eyed cow in front, with its equally dull-eyed farmer, could deter his optimism. A faint smile crossed his face.

He set to people-watching to pass the time as he waited. Looking through the throng, he could make out the many facets of Dortian society. Here, a poor peasant slugged his wares on the back of a mule, headed for the market, Estwerp guessed. There, a woman dressed in exquisite clothing and fine jewellery rode past on a white horse, burly guards in tow. All around Estwerp were beggars and bards, along with the usual assorted rogues trying to make a living from the fortunes of others. Estwerp's lip curled. It mightn't be possible to actually see it happening, but he was sure that at that very moment there were at least five scoundrels with their hands in others' pockets. Hafne had taught him that. His own hand tightened around the strap of his moneybag. No one was taking his hard earned savings.

At last the line of people in front of him began to shrink and he found himself before the guards. "Forms? Yep. We'll need your name, occupation and business in the city. Then sign here."

"Name? Name's James Estwerp. I need a job, that's why I'm here. As for the job itself, I'm not too picky. But my skills lie with ships more than anything else, so I guess you can put me down as a sailor."

He signed his name in large uncertain letters using the quill offered.

"Thank you, gentlemen. And if that's all then I'll be off."
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

A brief glance, a shuffling of papers and that was all it took. Estwerp was issued a crisp new city pass and sent along his way.

OOC: Hey Estwerp, welcome to Dort! Feel free to join and existing thread or start your own using the locations found here, but please remember not to create any more NPCs. Have fun!
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Post by Guest »

Rolien stood on a hill next to the road and stared at the monstrosity of stone in the distance. The dark stone of the city walls gleamed in the sun light. Rollien pulled his hat lower over his eyes.

"What do you think, old friend," he asked his companion. Xanthus nudged Rolien's side. Without thinking, Rolien reached up and patted the steeds neck. Xanthus was the reason that Rolien was even considering entering the city. Their path had been long and had taken them close to the city. And now Xanthus needed new shoes.

"Alright, we're going," he said as he took hold of the reins. He kept hos thoughts to himself as started down the road. Xanthus had heard them before. And Rolien had a feeling that Xanthus was getting tired of hearing it.

It wasn't long before Rolien had become part of the thong of people seeking admittance into the great stone city. Rolien looked around him.
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

Chyril 25th MT

"Let's move it along, folks, move it along... NEXT!"

The entry line to the city was moving with remarkable efficiency and it wasn't long before Rolien and Xanthus found themselves at the front of the queue. Set up next to the gates was a crude wooden signboard with several pieces of parchment nailed to it. The faces of rough-looking men stared out from five of them in bold charcoal lines - being illiterate, there was no way for Rolien to understand any of the words that were inscribed upon the rest.

The guards processing the young man's entry paid only a cursory attention to the notices (much less so than the ones checking the exit line). "Hat up matey, give us a look at yer face," one of them grunted at Rolien. "Then I'll need yer name, occupation and business in the city."

Post by Guest »

Rolien pushed his hat higher on his head. He looked over the at the gate guard. "I'm Rolien Pathmaker. I'm a traveler. I'm looking for a blacksmith and possibly a possibly a place for myself and my friend to stay."

Big cities always made his skin crawl. Man made mountains and caves. Gardens. All twisted versions of nature. Rolien found it hard to believe people actually was willing to fight and die for these monstrosities.
Adanedhel
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Adanedhel »

The guard looked at Rolien's face, glancing at the sign board now and then. After a few flickers the man smiled and made way for the traveler and his horse. "Ye be welcome, mister Pathmaker. I would recommend the Drunken Duck tavern. A blacksmith can be found on the southern skirts of the city. Just ask for Iron John when you're out of the tapestry quarter. Or follow the smoke. There's always smoke coming from the forge." he said.

The other guard was busy with a feather and a piece of parchment, his lips forming syllables as he wrote. "Path... ma... ker..." could be heard, mumbled by the dutiful man.
Something wicked your way comes...

Posting rate: 2/week

Special:
[b]OOECP[/b] - [i]Grant[/i]ed by Maeve & Sosa

Post by Guest »

"Thank you," Rolien said. "Will there be anything else required of me?" He readjusted his hat and then patted his friends neck.
Adanedhel
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Adanedhel »

The guard smiled towards Rolien. "Errrr... Not that I can think of, sir. You're free to go anywhere, just stick to the right side of the law, please." he said and waved the next person in line forward.

OOC: free to post in Dort. Looking forward to see you there.
Something wicked your way comes...

Posting rate: 2/week

Special:
[b]OOECP[/b] - [i]Grant[/i]ed by Maeve & Sosa

Another Newcomer

Post by Guest »

Qamar halted at the bottom of the path that led to the gates of Dort, green-eyed gaze fixed in wonder on the gates of the city. They were massive, and beautiful, though the entire city at a glance still resembled a fortress, something that set off an alarm in our girls head. What is so precious that they keep others out? Or rather, what is so dangerous that they must keep in? A small grin of amusement curls the lips of our lass, and she takes to walking again, meandering her way up the hill, weaving her petite bodice through the throngs of people, without drawing too much attention to herself. Of course, considering she was a dark skinned Achadhiel, it was no easy feat to disguise her.

Slowly she worked her way through the crowds, at last coming to the base of the gates, where two guards stood, their blue uniforms impeccable. A moment’s indecision caused her to waver in the crowd, for a moment feeling like a scared child again. But she had made up her mind to come here, and so now she stepped forward, a small smile lighting her elegantly carved features, eyes brightening.

“Namaste, my good sirs. I wish to enter your fine city, are there any special requirements of me?”

Her words were delivered quickly, her soft voice rising only to make her heard above the din of the crowd around her, and within the city itself. Her eyes locked first on one face, and then the other, sizing each guard up separately. They seemed kind and pleasant enough, though that eased her stomach little.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Chyril 27MT

The guard to her right turned from the watching the farmer ahead of Qamar try to lead his reluctant donkey into the city and did a double take upon seeing her dark skin. He did just manage to not say, Look Roger! Another darkie!" out loud to his fellow guard but the look that he exchanged with him said much the same.

"Na-mast-hey." He replied. It was the only word of adhiel he knew but he was rather proud that he knew it. "No special requirements, miss." The guard replied. "I just need to know your name, profession, and your reason for visiting."
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

A small smile worked her lips as the guards exchanged a rather startled look. She knew she wasn't of the regular variety, but for once, she wasn't ashamed to be seen outside of her own people. The smile remained fixed, perhaps growing a bit softer as the guard greeted her in her own language. It was a broken reply, but comforting nonetheless. Nodding lightly at his request, she moved a little closer, out of the main throng of people, so as to speak easier and not have to repeat herself (many) times.

"My name is Qamar Mymos. I am a healer, though I can't say a very good one yet, which is why I have come. I'm hoping to apprentice in the Abbey, so as to learn more of my work."

Here Qamar paused uncertainly, questioning if she should spill the beans on wanting to learn more of the human culture. Sighing, she grinned and waited for her reply, deciding everything else wouldn't matter to the guards.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The guard nodded and carefully wrote down the answers in his log book. "Well the Abbey is not within the city walls of course, miss, but a few trained by them run apothecaries here. No doubt they can direct you when the time comes." The guard moved to wave her on then added, "If you are looking for more of your people, miss, they can be found on the south side of the market. Please enjoy your stay in Dort."

OOC: OK ordinarily I would send you off to another thread but the super synch complicates things. Are you ok with summarizing the synch time and then picking up with Qamar after or is there a thread you feel you must do befire the synch? Let me know and we can get things moving. Thanks!
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Watching carefully as the guard took down her information, Qamar was sure she held her breath the entire time. Apparently there was nothing wrong, because the guard looked up at her again, and said she had passage into the city. She smiled brightly at the mention of her people, hoping maybe she would meet someone she knew, or at least had heard of.

"Thank you." Her small voice was just above a whisper as she stepped passed the guard and into the city. Her breath caught again for a moment as she looked at all the buildings and people, but her feet kept moving, and soon she was lost amidst the crowds.

Post by Guest »

Tivona stopped walking, staring up at the dark stone walls in disbelief. Never had she seen anything so impressive, so…formidable. A tiny thread of fear wormed its way into the back of her mind.

What was she doing here, imagining she could just walk into a city like this and somehow fit in? She thought longingly of the forests by her home, of wide empty plains and of the simplicity of the Adhiel city where she had been raised. For just a moment, she considered turning back. Could she really hope to make a life in a world she knew nothing about?

But she would not turn back. She would not accept mediocrity, idleness, or stagnant existence. If her father had made something of himself in this city, so could she. Tivona would not return to the disapproving silence of her Adhiel neighbors, their stares and their subtle exclusions.

Breathing in and out several times, deeply, Tivona calmed her mind and focused her determination. Again she joined the flow of traffic into Dort, her stride confident and her expression neutral.

At the gates she was stopped by two garishly dressed guards, who saluted her. Tivona nodded back, politely, and said, “I would like to enter the city, please.”
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: Apologies for the delay.

Timestamp Jygust 30th, MT

"That would explain why you were standing in line miss." The guard commented. That joke never failed to amuse Roger but the rest of the guard swore they would kill him the next time they heard it. "I just need to know your name, your occupation and your reason for entering the city." He held a scroll clipped to a wooden board and brought up a charcoal stick to mark down her replies.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Tivona frowned at the man's jest, but did not respond to it. She also tried not to show how much he unnerved her. Few times in her life had Tivona needed to communicate with a complete stranger, much less one as...well, strange as this man, with his ridiculous tassel and misplaced humor.

"My name is Tivona Devarsi," she said, speaking slowly and careful to enunciate properly. She spoke human well enough, but she did not use it often.

"I've come to Dort to look for work," she went on. It was the simple answer, if not the full one. "I have no occupation, but I have worked several jobs. I can handle and train animals and I am a fair healer. I am also skilled in the ways of the forest, and am an able guide."

She hesitated, but her prudence won out over her caution. These men must know a great deal about the city; she would be foolish not to ask.

"I am wondering, do either of you know where I might find such work?"
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Roger seemed satisfied with her answers though her long list of abilities wouldn't fit on the form. He just wrote down healer. At her question, Roger started scratching his head with the blunt end of the pencil as he thought.

"Well there's not much call for forest guides in the city. Those as need one generally get a local boy to show them around rather than bring their own from town." Roger scratched harder. "Now healers are always in demand if you're good at your craft. The best are out at the Abbey of course." Roger gestured vaguely away from the city where the Abbey lay close to day's travel from here. "You could try some of the apothecaries on Market Square or the guard might be hiring for healers?" He looked over to his companion who shrugged his shoulders. "Well you could ask." Roger finished lamely.

"Did she say she worked with animals?" The other guard called over. Roger nodded and the guard went on. "The Dort Rebuilding Society has been bringing in all sorts of building materials. The streets are full of oxcarts and horse wagons heading all over the city and isle. If you can drive a team or patch up em up you might find work there."

"Some of the nobles keep hounds and hawks too." Roger added. "Don't know if that's your thing though."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Tivona frowned, considering. It seemed the best opportunities for her lay in healing work, but her gift with healing was merely an incidental skill. It was not something she had ever wanted to make a life out of, and she had little passion for it.

Nor did driving a team of horses really appeal to her. She could do it, and do it well. But there seemed little future in such a prospect. Still, it was a good option to keep in mind, something that she could do to earn money if she had to.

It was the last suggestion that intrigued her the most. Tivona knew little about nobles, but she had heard they were spoiled, and often possessed little practical skill of their own. It was not surprising that some might need help training and caring for their own animals. A life at court was hardly Tivona's desire, but working around people of such high station was an opportunity too good to pass up. Who knew what kind of possibilities she might stumble across, what things she might learn?

She nodded to the guards with a small smile. "Thank you, you've been very helpful. I will consider your suggestions. Perhaps I will visit the castle and try my luck there."

She hesitated, then added, "Is that all you need?
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Roger nodded yes. "That's all we need, miss. Good luck to you and enjoy your stay in Dort." Roger waved her on into the city proper and turned to deal with the next person in line.

OOC: Go ahead and start a thread at the castle or anywhere else you choose to try. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

As soon as the great, golden gates of Dort were in view of Joseph, he gasped awestruck by the amount of skill and effort that must have been pit forward into such a creation. The intricately gilded gate reminded him of just how hard he was going to have to work to earn money in this town.

As Joseph looked at the gate he moved forward so as to read the sign etched above the gate, "Duke Von Zu Dort-Billigh welcomes you to Dort. May your visit be profitable and blessed by the lady." Reading this sign rose Joseph's spirit for he remembered his Godess and how she would help him discover prosperity.

As he walked closer to the gates he saw two Dort guards in striking blue uniforms. Joseph's mouth twitched as he tried to stop himself laughing at the outrageous yellow tassles attached to the uniform. As he tried to keep a straight face he asked the guard two questions in his best upper class voice to make him seem important,

"Excuse me kind sirs, would you mind offering me some assistance? I wish to know whether there be any specific forms or questions I need answer before I step through into this magnificent town and also where the nearest place to make acquaitances and get a drink?" As Joiseph waited for an answer he thought to himself how his accent may have been dampened a bit by the fact his clothes did not match the status he was trying to convey.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Roger eyed Joseph with a practiced eye. He looked too young to be a toff fallen on hard times. Probably just a kid trying to seem better then he was. No harm in it.

"Good day, sir." The guard nodded to him. "I need to know your name, your job, and your reason for the entering the city." He held up a charcoal stick to a piece of parchment stretched on a wooden board ready to record his answers.

"As for a drink, the Drunken Duck is the place to go. You get quality for yer money and the barmaids are easy on the eye." Roger smiled. "Can't go far wrong there."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Nodding back to the guard, Joseph thought back to his merchant friend of his childhood and remember him speaking fondly of the Drunken Duck Inn. Feeling emboldened by that thought Joseph thought it was definitely the right place to go. Remembering he was meant to be answering the guards questions Joseph said,

"My name is Joseph Brond my good sir and I am a merchant and am here to sell my father's dairy products. The trek from the farm was a hard one and I will be visiting the Drunken Duck for a good pint or two to aid my parched throat." It's best not to tell them about this gang I'll try and collect information at the Inn Joseph thought to himself as he smiled at the guard.

Return to “Dort Archive”