The Coffee Vendetta [Part 1] (Chyril 22nd, late ET)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Niccolo
Director of the ULT

The Coffee Vendetta [Part 1] (Chyril 22nd, late ET)

Post by Niccolo »

Clattering through the wet streets of World's Mouth was a jet-black carriage. Standing atop the carriage were four footmen, armored and armed, alongside a pair of coachmen, one of which held his arcballistae at the ready. It would be a tense night in the city...and the mark had not yet struck midnight.

From within the carriage, a voice called out. "Hand in a few daggers. I need a few daggers!" called Niccolo Amadicci Alvero. The guards upon his carriage exchanged a few curious looks, but they began to hand a few knives down through the carriage's curtained windows, careful not to drop them as the machine rumbled over the compact cobbles racing north and west towards Highton, the Avaritia Forum...and the Flying Dortman beyond.

"Let me tell you a few things, Signorina Felecia...and let that be the last time we share that name until you choose to take it up again," began Niccolo, as he collected the daggers that were handed down to him through the window. "First, the brothel in which you worked was operated by Madam Panicci...but she has her masters, and her master was a gentleman named Hart. I'm sure you must have met the man at least once," Nico paused, stacking the daggers...there were four of them...on the bench beside him.

"Hart maintains power in Southbridge and the Seams by virtue of his...connections. Mind you, anyone in those parts of the city might foster strong connections with other...disreputable types, but one of his connections is a very special one. The name is Simalde, and no one knows who he truly is. At least, no one I know could name this...enigmatic crime lord. Now I needn't familiarize you with the utter danger that these gentlemen represent. You yourself have witnessed how easily they can shatter lives in the name of profit. But do not take me as a Saint, Signorina. I am not so different from them...save that I am young while they are old."

Niccolo pulled his coat, shirt, and boots from his body and stacked them neatly at one end of the carriage. In another time, he might have felt self-conscious of his near nudity in front of a lady...but tonight was a very special night, and he had no time for such niceties. Once shed of his more respectable clothes, Nico deposited them in the bin beneath one of the benches...and withdrew another set of clothes. This new set contained a mottled coat of dull black...a mantle of gloomy, black gray, and a large, floppy hat. Also black. Last came a hatchet....Nico's Very Special Hatchet.

"You're in a very special position, Signorina. Not only will we strike back at Hart...but we'll snare Simalde as well. If you do this for me, then the power in Southbridge will be broken. Some of my associates..." A horrifying creature that has a routine tendency to eat people "...will assume control of Southbridge. But we must snare Simalde. Sadly, I don't know who Simalde happens to be...but I know someone who does, and I've maneuvered this new gentleman in a position to...need Simalde."

Nico paused to insure that Felecia continued to attend to him. As he did this, he stomped on his travel-worn, dark, and perhaps blood-stained boots. Boots that had once walked through the ashes of the Greylocke mansion on the day it was razed to the ground. "His name is Severo Lo Russo. The Merchant Lords of the city call him The Snake, and for good reason. He is easily the most dangerous man in the city...at least, he was the most dangerous man in the city, perhaps in his prime. I've maneuvered him to be arrested...I suspect he might already be in Caer Doom...and so I have him controlled."

"I believe Severo Lo Russo knows the identity of Simalde...and he will attempt to smuggle a communication out of his cell in Caer Doom to the crime leader for assistance. I intend to ask Hart for Simalde's identity tonight...and he will tell me this, because I'll ask him hard...but it is pivotal that any messages Lo Russo attempts to smuggle out of Caer Doom are intercepted and brought to me in case Hart refuses to talk. There are...other messages he might send that would also be of some benefit to intercept."

Tucking in his shirt, Nico pulled his dark coat over his massive form before he reached for his mantel cloak. "This brings me to you. You will go to Severo Lo Russo at his cell in Caer Dumnare...and attend to his needs. You see...he is a very frail man, his health deteriorating with every passing month. You will...attend to him. You will see to his every need. If he wishes medicine, you will give it. If he wishes pleasant conversation, you will give it. If he wishes to fuck you, you will allow it. But most importantly...if he wishes you to carry any messages for him...you must accept them. Do you understand?"
<i>Non me fare domande, e non ti dico menzogne.</i>
"ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies"
Felecia Grennarth
Courtesan

Post by Felecia Grennarth »

So far from home. She hardly ever let herself remember it anymore. Felecia felt that familiar pang at the thought of her father's smile, her mother's laugh, even her brothers' teasing. Her mind wandered a bit as the carriage moved, a light nod of her head to Nico's assurances of meeting her needs then when he dangled something out there that sounded dangerously like freedom, her eyes lifted to his. Felecia turned back to the window with a nod and continued listening. What name? A new name, new person, new everything. Auraelia. Auraelia D'angelo. Yes. That sounded like a fitting name. She smiled to herself.

Another sweep of warmth through her body and her cheeks flushed, vividly pink against her fair complexion. She glanced over when Nico was in mid-strip and with almost no reaction she simply looked away again, pondering for a moment if he was about to...then he began to redress. She nodded and listened, all the details being filed away in her somewhat scattered mind, though soon enough the fog would lift, if Nico made good. Felecia's head tilted up and she gave an obedient nod to her new master, "As you wish, Signor," she answered then looked down and back up, "Oh..if I may, I like the name Auraelia D'angelo."
Niccolo
Director of the ULT

Post by Niccolo »

Perfect. "Auraelia...D'Angelo. That means...Golden Angel, in the local old tongue," reflected Niccolo, as he fitted his wide, floppy hat upon his head. His wet work hat now featured a fitting plume of deep, dark scarlet...a plume that might have been more fur than feather, as it was larger than any typical hackle. Tucking his hatchet in his belt behind him, Niccolo handed the scarf...his face shroud...to D'Angelo.

"Well, Signorina D'Angelo, tonight we will meet a gentleman by the name of Tormsen. Tristam Tormsen is a merchant of some skill...the brain behind the Constanza family...and nominally, one of my targets in the upcoming vendetta. We will pick him up, and I will speak to him regarding the vendetta itself...to determine how it will proceed, just what will be lost, who will win, and to what extent. It will be...a very illuminating discussion, and no doubt very short, as well. During our meeting, you will be with us...and you will present to Tormsen that you are...hired muscle, such as a bodyguard or assassin," explained Niccolo.

"With a face shroud in place...and a few knifes stored upon your person..." Nico motioned towards the daggers, clearly intended for her and not him "...you'll fit the role nicely. I suspect Tormsen will have at least one bodyguard of his own with him. If he doesn't, then I'll probably loan him a couple until he can retain his own. You see, Tormsen is very important to me." Nico hadn't yet admitted as much to himself, but he had Tormsen fitted for a Magister seat...namely, to replace Saphio. The gentleman might refuse the posting...but over time, he might be convinced that it would lie in the city's best interest. Of course, Magister Saphio had to be retired first...and Nico hadn't managed that feat quite yet.

"Oh, and finance..." Niccolo reached for his purse and peered within dubiously. One two...eight...ten...eleven crowns...and change... "Medical supplies and a new wardrobe can be pricey. Here's what cash I have on hand just now..." Niccolo handed over ten crowns of gold...ten ounces of gold by Mouth weight...and made a mental note to rob more funds from the Union ledgers when he had the chance. "You won't have a lot of time tomorrow. Thankfully, the Desert Jewell Market is just near the Flying Dortman...so you should find everything you need quickly. Once you have it, you can go to Cear Dumnare to see to Councilor Lo Russo's needs...and if he should ask from where you came, you may tell him that an...unnamed friend in Southbridge sent you."

That should give Severo the impression that Hart sent her. After all, Hart most likely would send her if he found out that Lo Russo had been taken up. But then, Niccolo expected that Hart wouldn't be alive to see the next sunrise...so Lo Russo would proceed on a false assumption. In fact, even if Lo Russo should smoke D'Angelo's true identity, it would only serve to her advantage.

Lo Russo won't know until too late that Hart was dead and gone.
Felecia Grennarth
Courtesan

The scarf hardly matched her attire. What an odd thought to have rush through her mind as she calmly drew up the skirt of her gown and tucked a dagger into each garter. One dagger, the smallest one, slid easily along the boned lining of the bodice of her gown and the last one she idly twirled in her fingers. If it came to scrapping against a trained guard, she stood little chance, if any, but one lover had insisted on teaching her a few tricks with a knife and even a few valid moves that might get her out of a hitch if needed. Still, the moves she would rely on most would be just how close the lady chameleon could match her current task.

Her slender hands made quick work of the scarf and she left only her eyes showing and against the backdrop of the dark fabric, they looked almost like icy blue diamonds on display. Felecia took the money with a causal ease and she tucked it into a small satin pouch. "Assassin, I'd say, Signor, before all is said and done I might be just that," she said as she twitched her nose against the fabric, "I might already be." She sat up straight and nodded, "At your leisure," she murmured as she turned her arm, wrist up, and carefully tucked the dagger into the sleeve of her chemise, tieing the grip of it around her wrist with the dainty ribbon at the sleeve, a poignant image.
Niccolo
Director of the ULT

Post by Niccolo »

"Let us hope you won't be," replied Nico quickly. "Assassins are expendable and simple...any idiot can be hired to kill...but spies are worth their weight in gold, especially those clever enough to be successful," reflected Nico, as he peeked out through the curtain to rate their progress. Almost there. "Listen, Signorina, for this is very important. If the unthinkable should happen...if you should be found out and I should be killed...you should not seek refuge at the Punt Den. You may not return to Southbridge at all. If you must seek assistance at all in the city, you might go to Signor Tormsen...so remember his face well. He will not trust you, and he owes me no favors...but he isn't allied to Simalde or Hart in any way that I can see. At the very least, he should manage to smuggle you out of the city safely."

"Another place you might seek refuge would be with Signor Bernardo Grigori, the Arsenale harbor master. But like Tormsen, he is a legitimate businessman...and so he will manage to smuggle you out of the city, but you cannot expect him to protect you or shelter you for any length of time." Both emergency contacts Niccolo offered were men of standing...with no underworld contact to Southbridge. That would be the most important part of her escape should it be necessary...as those places would be the safest from any potential retaliation from Simalde. They might also be the safest from retaliation from the Magisters of the Company, added Niccolo. He simply couldn't predict when, how, or where a retaliation would come...and due to the curious, two-sided nature of Niccolo's machinations, he really couldn't predict from whom the retaliation would come, either.

------------

The Flying Dortman...in Rhoddam Square.

The inn and pub were well-known institutions within the Mouth, and only it's long history within the city itself accounted for it's oddly placed foundation. Nestled among the noble, towering spires of the great architectural achievements of the city's public center, the large inn seemed almost...squat and primitive. The night was growing late, and many of the day traders that worked the Avaritia nearby had already departed. Still, the immensely popular tavern and hostel never closed it's doors...and due to it's location, traffic never ceased through Rhoddam square, a pivotal junction that connected Silver Way to the Parade and all other major avenues in the city.

The dark carriage raced into Rhoddam square pulled by four snorting and frantic animals. Skidding and sliding to a halt a comfortable distance from the Flying Dortman, a face could be seen to peer out from the otherwise curtained windows. "Wait here. Keep your eyes peeled," came unnecessary order from within, though the footmen...four large, brutish thugs...had already stepped off the machine and took up positions surrounding the lacquered, black coach.

"Now we must wait, Signorina D'Angelo," murmured Nico from within. If Tormsen received his desperate invitation, he should make an appearance eventually...and Nico would wait for him to do so for as long as he could. Even now, a small army of brutes were collecting elsewhere in the city...a small army that would be expecting their leader before another mark or two passed. "Finally, there is the matter of your lodgings, Signorina D'Angelo. Curiously, I've never invested in personal property...so I have no palatial home to offer you...but we will use the Dortman. You can rent a room here for as long as you need, and we will plan to meet here as needed. Oh! Can you...read and write? I had assumed you could do so due to your...prior profession..."
Felecia Grennarth
Courtesan

She nodded lightly at his reply then tilted her head. Spy. Worth..gold.. valuable. Her eyes lidded in a content fashion for a moment and she felt the faint sensation of something...then it passed. Tormsmen... Grigori.. "It will not come to that I pray." Felecia inhaled as the carriage came to a stop and she sat up to the edge of her seat, hands folded in her lap, eyes alert, ears keened.

The Dortman

Felecia nodded again, waiting, watching through the curtain's slivered opening. Her head turned toward Nico and she smiled a thin smile, "Yes I read and write, Signor, though it is wholly unrelated to Panicci's." She paused a moment then started to speak then thought better of it and replied, "The Dortman will be fine, I'm certain, thank you."

Confidence. You are an assassin for the moment. Hold up your head, lose the kind smile, it shows in your eyes. Back straight, shoulders square, speak only if spoken to and give Nico a chance to answer for you first. Lean left and thrust, no, lean left, draw the dagger, then thrust, one fluid motion, just like he taught you. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.
Niccolo
Director of the ULT

Post by Niccolo »

"Good, good," replied Nico quickly. "I suspect we will see much of each other in the coming weeks, but if you should ever require a...sudden meeting, you can send a message to me. Let us use the name...Lucas De Luca...and it will be forwarded to me at my offices on the Avaritia, or wherever I might be at the time. Of course, I will send messages to you here by way of D'Angelo. I will...inform the innkeep of these arrangements tomorrow morningtide," meaning that Niccolo would arrange for a fraudulent employee named Lucas D'Luca to be in service at his offices, and all communications to that gentleman should be forwarded post haste to #23, Silversmith.

Niccolo went silent for a moment, offering D'Angelo the space she needed to peer out the window herself. He took the time to study her more physically...to examine her waist, her rear, and the profile of her face...at least as much as he could see. The daggers she had were imperfectly hidden, which was ideal to give the right impression...but he attended less to her 'disguise' and more to her form. He didn't need any great leap of imagination to picture himself behind her, her skirts hiked up and his hands wrapped around her...a clear sign that she was both perfect for the task, and that Nico should probably bed someone before too much longer. Despite his devilish attraction to using her in such a carnal fashion, he would overcome such urges. After all...she would resent that kind of abuse, at least this early in their "association"...and after her experiences at Panicci's, it would come as no surprise if she might wish to be treated like a person instead of some sex slave. Perhaps later, he decided...later, when she felt empowered enough to start making her own decisions again. Speaking of which...

"You can expect a delivery tomorrow morningtide, in fact...perhaps very early, as I locate the...substance you requested. I assume it is...perhaps a form of poppy?" This was a delicate subject that the lady wouldn't happily discuss, so Niccolo wouldn't dwell upon it. It was strangely convenient that he actually needed something similar as well, though in a far more...sinister form. Hemlock was also a product of the poppy...and Nico needed a vial of the substance before he went to meet with Councilor Lo Russo...perhaps on the twenty fourth or twenty fifth. Time enough for the man to get concerned. Time enough for the hemlock to seem plausible. Time enough to squeeze what I need out of him...and then offer him the easy way out.
Felecia Grennarth
Courtesan

While she had become accustomed to being studied, stared at, looked over, sampled, talked about as if she were not even present, for a moment it startled her to feel the weight of a gaze. She didn't flinch however and when she did look to her employer, her expression was simply aloof, unfeeling, feeling was always trouble. "I'm sure things will settle nicely, Signor," she replied, nodding, Lucas De Luca, another name filed away.

Felecia blushed a touch and her head turned away again, briefly, then she inhaled and looked back at Nico, speaking frankly. "I think it must be. I have studied what herbs and plants I could get my hands on and that is the only one whose effects are similar. Though, I've only ever had it in tea, I know not the quantity." She raised a brow and leaned back, "I'd like one day to not require it, but not today, nor tomorrow, later." With a shift of her legs to cross one ankle over the other she settled back on the seat, "I appreciate whatever you can find for me."

Another reason to hate Remmel. Felecia never thought she'd ever hate a living soul. She simply wasn't made that way, or so she thought. It took her some time to figure out just what had happened to her, living in a bleary haze for the first few months, though the first weeks were the worst. Why in the name of the One had she ever walked into that tavern? There were so many questions like that one and the lack of answer left her with only one direction for her resentment, Remmel. A man like that has no soul, she had decided, he'd sold it long ago. Though, as she glanced at Nico, maybe no one has one, or maybe they are all for sale and the ones who say they aren't just haven't been given the right price yet.

Jaded. No. Scarred beyond redemption. Her own soul had been ripped out of her forcibly. That's how it felt on the days that she let herself focus too much on the Felecia she remembered and tried to reconcile it with who she had become, or was becoming. This new endeavor was sending her headlong into a place where she had choices, or soon would, perhaps, and that changed everything, or gave her hope of it at least. And it struck her hard, right in the gut, hope. He was dangling hope in front of her.
Morg

Post by Morg »

The black carriage was far from the only one of its kind in World's Mouth. Many of the powerful in the city, especially those with less-than-legal connections... which amounted to most of them... employed a similar means of conveyance. For their part, the common folk of the Mouth had learned through bitter experience not to interest themselves in the doings of the high-and-mighty, since such interest was dangerous in itself. So it was that most kept their eyes down as they passed the vehicle and its guardians. Those who did chance to look did not concern themselves overly with it.

Even at this late hour, with the sun long sunk behind the rooftops, the square was busy. As usual at eveningtide, the squat, bulky Flying Dortman was haemorrhaging cheery light and the sound of merriment onto the streets around. A tall, broad man in a buff coat was stationed at the door, occupied with gently and politely guiding the inn's more unsteady patrons away from the building itself and out into the square.

(OOC: Please do continue! Gee, I feel so... redundant. :?)
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Niccolo
Director of the ULT

Post by Niccolo »

"I'm sure there is a way," replied Nico evenly. His tone was measured to indicate an almost passing simplicity. Of course, there would be nothing simple about breaking an opium addiction...but Niccolo didn't want his newest spy to dwell upon the task. Indeed, there would be a solution...but that was a project for a later date. For now, it was wisest were she to focus on the difficulties at hand.

Shifting his weight somewhat, Niccolo made himself comfortable for what could be a rather lengthy wait. That was the nature of his business, of course...furious haste, followed by breathless patience, a cycle that repeated over and over again. Not two tides after his sudden meeting with Saphio, and Niccolo Amadicci Alvero was busy once again...and this time, the game had become far, far more dangerous. Murdering nobles and break the aristocratic hold on the city had been one thing...Niccolo found ready allies in the city for that...but this was a new struggle, one in which enemies could appear out of nowhere. Starting tomorrow, he would need to be more careful about his person. Perhaps I will follow the same advise I have given so often already? Perhaps I will double my own guards.

"As far as...your task, I believe there is little more I need tell. You are as prepared as you can ever be, considering the circumstances...and you need nothing more from me for now. I wonder..." this was a tricky subject, but Niccolo couldn't help but reveal his curiosity. "I wonder how a healer came to work for...Madam Panicci? Were you perhaps taken up, or were you...sold...to her?" he asked, his tone still carefully measured as if he were asking about the market trends in wheat pricing. He didn't suggest for a moment that she had gone of her own volition, for he had long since ruled that out as impossible.
Felecia Grennarth
Courtesan

Felecia turned an appraising gaze to Nico and her brows wrinkled as she thought over what possible answer to give. "An unfortunate series of circumstances.." she said hesitantly, then looked toward the window. "I made the mistake of trusting the wrong person." That part of the answer was flat and assured. She dared not speak a name or give any details so she moved on a bit, "I came to the Mouth to study, I daresay I've learned more than I wished, but learned nonetheless."

For all she knew Remmel was in cahoots with this one too and if not, why tell him anyway? It was bad enough that she herself had to know, and live with it, why tell anyone else. Madam Panicci would no doubt tell him if he asked, or Remmel. She frowned a bit deeper at the thought of being discussed like that but she rather doubted anyone would care to spend more than a few moments on the subject anyway. It didn't matter why or how or who, she was here, this was her life, and she'd gone from one master to another, though at least this one seemed to have the promise of a different life than being a common whore. A whore. She shuddered inside, some things can't be undone.
Niccolo
Director of the ULT

Post by Niccolo »

His nod would have been a pointless gesture had he not had such a large hat upon his head. The waving of the brim...the swaying of the long, flowing plume...they were the only indication that Niccolo had moved at all. "I fear that you may hold...reservations...that I would do the same thing to you again. While it isn't certain that your mark will...wish for any pleasure from you, I cannot deny that it is possible...and that would make me as much of a whore monger as Panicci."

"We must have an understanding from the start. I am indeed using you, Madam...I'm using your mind, your skills, and your talents...and I'm using your lovely countenance and shapely body. I'm using them both for my own agenda...which does indeed reach far beyond the humble income of a prostitute or whore monger. However, I don't want you to consider yourself...compelled to do so. I have considerable resources at my disposal, and if you allow me to use you as an agent against my opponents, you will find me more than willing to be used by you for whatever goals you may seek. I do not forget favors or friends, Madam...and I have been known to protect my own at any cost."

Once again, Niccolo was assaulted by his dark fantasy of taunting the forlorn opium eater with her dose...and feeding it to her off of his penis. It was a horrifying, degrading scene...and perhaps an effective way to help her break the habit...but Nico couldn't deny that it returned to mind far too often. What if I were to keep her as an opium slave? I could keep the tincture to myself...and she would have to work for her dose. I would see her perhaps daily, and she would have to earn her dose with a mark of...rehabilitating effort.

"I suspect that's the only difference I can offer you between the tasks I require from you and the callers you took at Madam Panicci's. With me, you may be certain that a wider goal is at hand...and that you will benefit from your assistance in ways far more potent and lasting than mere survival. If you share with me what you want...if I know what you seek for yourself...then I will help you attain such a goal as well. So tell me, Signorina...what is it that you want for yourself? What do you truly want?"
Felecia Grennarth
Courtesan

Felecia folded her hands in her lap, then laced her fingers, then unlaced them and folded them, one hand over the other again. She felt flush. She also felt a bit more vulnerable than she liked. Though she might not put a name to it at the moment, it was simply a nervous feeling that she didn't like. He was very matter-of-fact, she noticed, which had its uses, though the tone doesn't always indicate truth. She had to admit he pegged her just a touch, she did fear, or even plan for him to be just like Remmel, so she mostly tried not to care one way or another, remain benign, do what's needed, and maybe, just maybe...

"I am aware, Signor, of my place. How I came to be in it is well, irrelevant, for the most part. I have no illusions of what might be asked of me. That is not to say it is what I desire." What did she want? Was he truly asking or making conversation? Searching for another weakness to use against her? Likely. She turned her head and looked him in the eye, "I have not contemplated much on what I want for some time. It is a futile and painful exercise in self-torment when such things are not possible."

Felecia was torn. That was the feeling. A part of her cried out to answer him, honestly, a part of her needed to be heard and to be cared for, and a part of her wanted to pretend the other parts didn't exist, not admit any pain or need, just hold her head up and shrug, nothing matters. "I agreed to do as you need when I took your hand, Signor. I will perform in whatever capacity is asked of me if for no other reason than the satisfaction that Panicci gets nothing from it. A rather limited and simple-minded reason you might think, but it is honestly all I can manage just now. I don't expect your understanding nor for you to care one way or another but rest assured, that will not affect my effort."

She had no leverage, she had no bargaining chip. He didn't need her, truly, he could get most any girl to do what he needed. If it was one thing she'd learned from Panicci it was that while profitable and protected, she was not irriplaceable. She was a face in an ocean of faces, one of many, expendable. Felecia's thoughts were a jumble, partly from the lack of opium and for a moment she thought of the merchant's son and she wondered which of the girls would get him. He was nice, kind even, polite, sometimes content to just undress her and lay at her side, naked. She wouldn't miss any of them, though there was some measure of comfort in continuity, the girl inhaled and settled back, adjusting the scarf at her face, thankful it was there for her to hide behind.
Niccolo
Director of the ULT

Post by Niccolo »

"Well, perhaps you will consider upon it for some time," replied Nico evenly. He expected just such an answer. In Niccolo's experience, very few people truly understood just what they wanted, at least in a broader sense. Even he himself had some trouble understanding just what he wanted back in the old days...in the days where he ran the Seams, another faceless kid dying from the Blacklung. "Consider upon it...and discuss it with me when you are comfortable doing so. It can be anything, my dear...anything at all...and I'm sure we can manage to get you closer."

That lead Niccolo to his next random thought. Madam D'Angelo mentioned her mistake...to trust the wrong person. That might or might not have been Madam Panicci...and while she did not speak of open revenge against anyone else, he could not deny a strong curiosity to find out who had sold her into sexual service. Admittedly, Niccolo's desire to know could have been idle curiosity...and perhaps a chance to visit some form of justice upon the man...but in reality, Nico knew he would clean the man such that he could reveal nothing. He would most likely be the one to remember and recognize Felecia quickly. I should...address that situation, whether she is aware of it or not.

"Tell me, Madam D'Angelo. Who was this...person...in whom you misplaced your trust? Was this Madam Panicci, or was it...perhaps someone else? Did you hear of their name, by chance?"
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Tristam had his carriage drop him around the corner from the Dortman and then sent it around to the backside of the tavern to wait for him. Better that those waiting for him not to know for sure where he was coming from or going to. Patrick and Moon marched a pace or two behind him. They were good men, former Condotierre that joined the crew of the Madrigal and then decided that a land post better suited them. Rumor has it this was because they had finally found good marriage. It mattered not to Tristam. He was just glad for their steadying presence beside him.

Tristam walked with his hand resting by his sword hilt scanning the area warily. The guarded coach in the midst of the square disturbed him and he kept it in his range of vision as best he could as Tristam approached the Dortman. He regretted his earlier generosity here now that he needed a more clandestine meeting. Still, nothing could be done about that. Motioning Patrick to enter before him and Moon to take up the rear, Tristam entered te Dortman and looked for the man that summoned him.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Niccolo
Director of the ULT

Post by Niccolo »

"Oh, I beg pardon...there he is. Perhaps we will pick up this conversation later?" murmured Nico, quickly shifting aside to open the door of his carriage. Stepping out, he scanned Rhoddam Square, checking for Tristam's stall or shadow...assuming he had one, which wasn't likely. Not yet, anyway. "Signor Tormsen, I am here!" waved Niccolo. The man had two guards, so Nico turned to a pair of his own and dismissed them for the night to make room. Guards were expected...but the real question was whose guards he had brought, and what they were ordered to do. If they were also spies, then Tristam wouldn't be able to negotiate openly unless they were unable to listen in. We'll need to get on the move.

"I'm appalled and embarrassed by my frank and inexcusable invitation to such a late meeting, but I suspect you will give it no mind once we've had a chance to...speak of matters. Please...come join me for a ride," motioned Nico, stepping to one side of the machine to reveal a single lady already within. "I assure you I will drop you off here in half a mark at the most."

Nico certainly was in no great hurry, but the only great danger in his immediate plans was to be seen with Signor Tormsen. If that were the case, no amount of orchestration would convince the city that the threat of the vendetta was real. After all, Prima would reply upon Tormsen to fight it for her...and the Syndicate would naturally turn to Niccolo. If the pair were seen to be splitting brandy over marinated olives, it might ruin whatever opportunity they would have to...manage the affair equitably.
Morg

Post by Morg »

Moon whirled round at Niccolo's call, right hand reaching to a weapon at his belt... a bulky device that both Alvero and Tormsen would recognise as a horrifically powerful hand cannon, an experimental weapon normally found only in the possession of members of the Condotierre legion. Clearly Prima Constanza's rumoured relationship with Ramius Lo Russo, which both men knew to be fact, was good for more than just the occasional amorous liaison.

Having been well briefed beforehand, though, both guards relaxed once they realised that the man accosting Tristam was the man who they had been prepared to meet. They exchanged glances at Niccolo's suggestion that Tristam join him in the carriage... not part of the arrangement... but seeing Felecia already within seemed to resolve it for them, and they made no objection. It was up to the man they were escorting to decide.

Meanwhile, two of Alvero's own guards nodded in acknowledgement, jumping down from the carriage and disappearing into the spreading darkness around the edges of Rhoddam Square.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"The abrupt nature of the meeting bothers me not at all." Tristam said curtly. "But changing the meeting from neutral ground to your own carriage simply will not do, Signor." He stated flatly. "Not without making me much more comfortable than I am."

Tristam paused for a moment. Every instinct he had told him to reject the carriage and this meeting. Despite Prima's belief that this was a real defection, Tristam still had no reason to place so much trust in Alvero. "Send away the girl. If we are to talk it will be you and me within only." He demanded. "And I'd advise your driver to stay to the main streets. You would not want my men to get jumpy should they not like the neighborhood without. Agreed?" Tristam asked.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Niccolo
Director of the ULT

Post by Niccolo »

"Of course," replied Nico evenly, trying hard to suppress a smirk. "Signorina, I apologize...this must be where we part for the eveningtide. Rest assured that I will call upon you tomorrow, of course. Good night," murmured Niccolo, handing the lady out of the carriage with a formal bow and a kiss upon her hand. "And good luck with your endeavors. I will remain hopeful for you."

Regardless of whether Felecia would depart so quickly, Niccolo would continue, clearly impatient...and perhaps to a small degree annoyed.

"Now...can we please get in?" murmured Nico to Tristam, aware that he would have to use another handkerchief for his own face when he arrived at the gardens later tonight. "Whatever strange logic brought you to believe you're in danger tonight might give you pause to proceed...but consider this as your impetus to move. Every pair of eyes that sees us standing here together is another chance that our options will be removed...perhaps removed to an even greater degree than you have already done so. And if we have no options left to us, then this vendetta will have to be fought in the traditional fashion. I certainly do not want that, Signor Tormsen. I strongly advise you to get in at once, or we may both regret it terribly."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Next time you require stealth and secrecy, don't chose Rhoddam Square." Tristam muttered sarcasticly as he passed by Signor Alvero and entered the carriage. He trusted Patrick and Moon to hop up on the carriage as best they could. Tristam settled himself across from where the lady had once sat and waited for Alvero to enter and begin his pitch.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Felecia Grennarth
Courtesan

Felecia sat up straight for a moment at the mention of the approaching Tristam and she nodded, a little rush of adrenaline replacing her tremors for the time being. The tension was not lost on her and she bristled inwardly at it as the man approached, watching curiously as Nico stepped out. The words exchanged, and of those she heard some, not all, so when Nico asked her to leave she hesitated, unsure if she was to simply comply or act some part from behind her ill-matching scarf. The young healer used the pause to study Tormsen, her luminescent eyes taking in any detail that might be revealed forming a picture in her mind to study on later.

She decided on the former, compliance, it had always worked before. The slow blink of her eyes and gracious nod of her head was shortly followed by her rising to her feet and stepping out. "Of course, Signor, luck to you as well. I look forward to another cross of paths." Her voice was light and airy and she slipped her hand from his with the practiced grace of a lady then grasped her skirt and began the dainty steps that would carry her inside. When she reached the door her gaze averted to the carriage and for the smallest moment she worried over something but then brushed it aside and continued inward.
Last edited by Felecia Grennarth on Sat May 26, 2007 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niccolo
Director of the ULT

Post by Niccolo »

"Indeed, I should have arranged matters differently," confirmed Niccolo quietly, though his eyes remained fixed upon Lady D'Angelo, watching her slip away towards the Dortman. More specifically, he considered her backside for a time, as much to give Tristam time to become comfortable in the machine as any genuine interest. Turning, he stepped within the carriage as well and barked his order. "Go! Down the Parade!" he ordered, moving the carriage along the major avenues of the city.

Of course, there were already mistakes. Unless Niccolo's perception evaded him, those were ex-Condotierre guards, common enough...and a massive hemorrhage of information unless Tristam could neutralize it early. He has considered this already, confirmed Nico. Of course he has considered this. But why would he come here with them if he had? Perhaps he is not yet convinced of the gravity of our situation.

Settling himself, he visibly relaxed. He waited until the carriage had begun to move, isolating their conversation from the guards just outside on the kick-plate. "Well, once again I apologize for the sudden nature of our meeting. By this time tomorrow, I will present my report to the Syndicate, and I must demonstrate to them that the vendetta is well in hand. And as I do this, I will be...compared...against the spy reports each of the Syndicate partners will receive. And make no mistake, Signor Tormsen...the spies are already upon us. I hope you were able to express upon the Constanza family to seek shelter somewhere safe? And I trust she understands the situation entirely?"
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"I think it is more appropriate to say that she infers much and knows very little." Tristam replied evenly. "So let's spell things out in the interest of clarity." Tristam leaned forward a bit so he could speak quiety and still be heard. "The Espresso Syndicate has finally decided to call for Vendetta against the upstart Constanza's and as a man with both a stake in the company and a knack for getting things done, they have approached you to handle to matter which naturally you have accepted." Tristam smirked.

"Then for reasons you may or may not make clear in the next few burns, you give up your opportunity to strike in ambush and instead contact your counterpart within the Constanza family I presume to make me an offer I would be foolish to refuse. Is that accurate?" Tristam asked.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Niccolo
Director of the ULT

Post by Niccolo »

"Absolutely...save the last of it. I chose to contact you because you are in a position to manipulate the situation to whatever ends you wish, including the fate of the Constanza family...and you also have a proven record of closing deals. Earlier today you indicated to me that you might have...your own agenda for yourself, which most likely includes the prosperity and security of the Constanza family...but maybe not, or maybe not in the way Prima might expect or to which she might approve. That is...your concern, and frankly, I'm more interested in learning about your concerns and goals than Prima's. I know what she wants...and what she intends. But you? I will not presume your relationship with Madam Constanza nor your intentions for the future...but I do know that without you, Madam Constanza would be gone already...so in this, I consider her fate entirely in your hands."

Shifting in his seat slightly, Nico considered how he would express his next thought without appearing in any way threatening. "We...you and I...must be at forefront of the vendetta, because Constanza herself...and the Syndicate partners...would prefer distance. Neither of us are made...we don't come from Consular houses...and so we're also expendable. But we have a very keen opportunity right now to dictate just how this vendetta will go...and to...orchestrate matters sufficiently to give every appearance of a proper market battle...but without the needless, destructive loss, hardship, and suffering one must necessarily associate to it. The Syndicate...and Prima...will expect a vendetta, as will the remainder of the city. So we must give them a vendetta...but we can do so on our terms. Terms that might benefit you...and me...and the things we value."

"You see, I already know that Madam Constanza will win this vendetta...and she will win it convincingly...because I can't abide the notion of the city's Magisters...such an incredible collection of power, as you will recall that night correctly...destroying all she and you have worked to build, regardless of their arguments otherwise. In fact, I won't hesitate to reveal to you that the very nature of this victory must facilitate the removal or neutralization of that power in such a way that they cannot be capable of ruining private, independent, free mercantilism for any other independent merchant in the city. I hope you will remember, Signor Tormsen...I was ordered to crush you all. You, Prima, Ermanno...even her allies, some of whom you might know. I can overlook minor transgressions of civility in the name of competition...but to order this kind of action feels more like an abuse of power. I hope you will agree, at least in so much that we cannot allow them to succeed."

"So...establishing this, I need only ask you what you want. I can't put on a grand display of vendetta...a massive smoke-and-mirrors show for all the world to see...without your help. And in exchange for that help, I will happily arrange matters to benefit you in a way you would prefer. Ah..." Nico paused here. He knew this part of the conversation would come, but it was a touchy subject. "As I said, I don't know the nature of your relationship with Madam Constanza, but if that is your interest, we can arrange matters to suit..." And this was strangely true. Nico had already put in motion the required events to silence and control Severo Lo Russo...and he had banished the Lo Russo children to the Citadel. It would take no great effort to discredit, ruin, or even lose Captain Ramius Lo Russo in the next couple days...though Niccolo would hate to do so. Still, if I must be the devil...I will be a very compassionate devil. "...or if you prefer, we can insulate Prima entirely from the event and secure position or spoils for you directly. If power is your interest, I believe I can arrange such a thing without great effort...if it would suit you to be called Councilor Tormsen. Or perhaps something more. But before we can act, I must know What You Want."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

By the time Niccolo finished his explanations and expectations, Tristam was convinced that Signor Alvero was unbalanced. That he chose to act against several Magisters when he could easily curry their favor was reason enough to doubt his sanity, but this projected confidence of his clinched it. Simply name what Tristam wanted and Niccolo would see to it? Madness.

Still, Tristam tried to keep as much of his disbelief from his face as he could. Nico's ability to deliver on his promises was secondary next to the knowledge that survival is barely an option without Nico's aid. Tristam needed him and so he played along with Signor Alvero's confidence.

"What do I want, eh?" Tristam chuckled. "What are my goals should we gain the power to work our will upon the Mouth and take what spoils I choose? I would be lying if I said I had not considered such things. Well to begin with I do not my wish my asecenion to come at the expense of the Constanza family. My itention has always been to rise with them until I was ready to rise on my own and then amicably part ways. There is no need to intrude upon her life personally or professionally." Tristam explained. "Beyond that which is necessary to pull off this audacious plan of course." Tristam nodded. "I would be a Councilor and perhaps more as you allude to." He admitted.

"As for more tangbile spoils, it is my understanding that the Espresso Syndicate will soon be obtaining two airships that are being decommissioned from the Condotierre. I would have them for my own." Tristam stated. After all, if you are going to wish, wish big. "There are certain holding within the city I would not mind adding to my lists of property." Tristam shrugged. "Rather than go into minutia let's say that I am anticipating the Mouth becoming a more cosmopolitan city than ever as the people of the Seven Isles arrive to seek their fortunes here. I plan to build a neighborhood within the city where they would feel welcome and comfortable and I would be the helpful bridge these hopefuls would cross to take their place in Mouthie socieity."

Tristam leaned back into the cushions of the carriage. "So what do you hope out of this endeavor, Signor Alvero? Where are our desires in accord?" Tristam asked.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “World's Mouth Archive”