Troth - Hand of the Kona - Chyril 25th - Late TT

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

Squeals and howls carried to them from the darkness. Not cries of pain or hurt, but of dogs at play and excitement. By the sound of their barks, they had found something. They were off in the gathering cold and darkness, but not too far off.

The night stood still. Waiting...

The cries and howls of the dogs were beginning to die down. There was no wind. The only sounds were their feet making soft crunches in the snow. The remaining dogs that were tied up struggled and pulled against their harnesses as they tried to go after the others. A stray bark or two could be heard from those remaining in the camp

Enough dogs for one sled team. Enough supplies to last a while here together. Choices and options were plenty, but decisions would need to be made.

Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Post by Hex da`Bergliin »

"Reiker, get moving and scout ahead to where those dogs have found something. Do not leave sight of us though, a few paces ahead will be fine. Langredoc, Lori backpack the food, leave the tents and such, we will make do with the one. Take only what is necessary, leave the rest."

Hex looked around. It was time to go. Something had started and she was not going to miss it. When the little ones play in the games of gods the rules change fast and hard.

"Will you bring them this time? Will you show them the Ruud that is to be travelled? Or will you falter and fail like you have done before?"

"I will bring them my Queen."

The woman seemed in agreement with this and settled her attention on Hex.

"There is a great trial before you. But fear not, you will have what you need to succeed. In all things, remember my purpose. The tribes will be forever altered by what is to come, so hold true."

Hex had a good memory and she knew that Skaali, like herself were just pawns that Ijskoningin moved at will for her own purpose.

"Hold true."

So simple a request, so dauting a task to make others belive.

"We will travel together for now. We head out into the night and into the winds of fate blown by our Queen. Know this to be true, hold the faith that this is her land as much as the land is her and know that we walk a path set for us. Reiker and I shall see you into Sjalfradr and the dance of death that awaits.

Hex stood with the wind softly blowing the hair of the wolf pelt on her shoulders and her own hair in the cool night. Her eyes sparkled with delight. Her glaive held in her hand at the relaxed and ready pose.

It has started...war is upon us.

Hex's lips cracked a wicked grin and the mirth of laughter escaped from them.
~
[i]The [b]Kona[/b] is dead, long live the [b]Witches[/b][/i]
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

OOC: I saw that I actually posted with the wrong ID.. funny. Sorry for the late response, my life is a tat complicated at the moment. I make sure that I post every week though.

Langredoc watched the dogs disappear into the distance but refrained from cursing. Life just became more complicated he concluded while moving closer to Lori.

Tension flowed through the young man while he fought the urge to draw his weapons to face the invisible enemy, he knew it would do no good but he wanted to have a blade in his hands when they would come to get them.

His mouth twisted in a grin for a flicker when he thought about the magic that seemed to be flowing all around him. No he did not like magic..... not at all.

But for now listening to Hex and Lori he waited until decisions where made to move.

He wondered a tat when he watched the face of Hex of insanity has hidden somewhere in those fierce eyes. Not that he really cared, as long as it was not targeted on Langredoc himself, he worried enough about his own life and that of Lori... all others had to fend for themselves.

He softly cursed "Bloody blood god....."
[quote]I am the warrior of the raven, traveling from war to war feeding on the dead and the living alike. Until darkness fall's.[/quote]

Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

OOC: Hiya gang! After trading PM's with Lori, I'll be temporarily taking over for her and using her as an NPC until she can come back and post again more regularly. So let's continue shall we? :D

Lori took Hex's orders to heart and began to pack up their food and other belongings. She moved quickly and quietly, knowing all too well that if a fight was coming, she was better to leave it to the more experienced warriors now. The dogs leaving the camp worried her, but the threat of danger was now worse than ever, and survival was foremost in her mind. She wanted to meet Skaali and begin, not be rerouted by some mystical threat.

Or maybe the lights are his... She questioned. The thought gave her extra energy and strength to gather and assemble what they needed.

~~

From Reiker's vantage, what the dogs seemed to be interacting with was a dance of shadows. Where the lights had been, now points of darkness danced and flickered. The pinpoints of dark or shadow skimmed across the surface of the snow much like a sled would, or a ship upon the water. The dogs playfully dug at and bit the dark stars, but soon they would flow again and the dogs would continue their playful assault.

The dark lights turned their course to the north, away from Rimmerhold, away from Sjalfradr, towards the only thing that direction that anyone knew existed in that direction.

The Palace of the Queen, and the Wall.

The dogs barked and whined and took off after the tiny points of darkness with fervor and renewed energy. Their receding barks and whines trailed off with the distance, but their tracks in the snowy hills would be easy to follow until the next snow came.

~~

Lori looked up as they seemed ready to depart.

"Are we chasing the dogs or something else?"
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex crouched in the snow and sniffed the air. There was blood on the wind. The others seemed to be waiting for her to make the move, to make the decision on where to go. At one time she had wanted to be Kona, now she paused in making a decision for a group of four.

The wind played with the soft snow, the dogs panting as they chomped at the bit mixed with the beating of her heart.

"We follow the dogs. As much as I want you to get on with your plans, I think that fate, or our Queen, has thrown snow in our eyes. I do not like the look of those lights and shadows."

Hex did not wait for any argument, nor discussion.

"Sjalfradr will wait while we take a small detour. The palace of the worm sounds much less inviting than the wall of death."

Hex moved forward to the dogs. "Lori, the sled, Langredoc"...Hex just nodded, then she moved out with the dogs.
~
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

OOC: Mmmm, I dont get a notification. Sorry for the late reaction. I was waiting for a mail to come in to tell that I had to post.......

Langredoc was feeling uneasy. It was all to strange, the air smelled wrongly, the dogs reacted not right..... Actually the dogs reacted like there was no danger at all. What to the suspicious mind of the young man translated as "No danger to dogs, bad for humans.."

So he would love to leave this place it was to open and to .... to .... to everything.

"Yeah, well I am going to move NOW...." he muttered not clearly who he was addressing actually while he moved towards the dogs.

Choices...... life only consists out of choices. People die as a result of a decision, or of a choice not made.

Langredoc had decided a long ago that he would be the one to make the choices. But now he felt trapped, trapped by his own decision to stay and protect. Choices....
Last edited by Langredoc on Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
[quote]I am the warrior of the raven, traveling from war to war feeding on the dead and the living alike. Until darkness fall's.[/quote]

Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Piling four on a single sled meant leaving things behind. Lori quickly sorted through as much as she deemed non essential and left those bundles sitting in the snow. She sat on the sled and held onto the frame as they took off wildly in pursuit.

The dogs were easy to motivate, as their natural inclination was to follow. The free dogs ran at a hectic pace following the strange phenomenon, and the harnessed dogs struggled to keep pace.

They ran well into morningtide, their paws dancing across the ice and snow until they were in danger of running themselves ragged.

The free dogs slowed as well. Daylight stopped their compulsion and when they reached a deep depression in the still wintry tundra, they slowed and stopped, and fell silent. The large, crater like area was at least a thousand paces across and equally as wide. The center still showed signs of blackened and scorched earth, the melting snow revealed bare patches of burnt ground.

The snowmelt ran in shining rivulets down towards the center of the crater and gave it the appearance of a monstrous white eye staring toward heaven.

Off in the distance, to the north, tall white mountains rose against the horizon. Their snowy heads could barely been seen through the mist that surrounded them. Yet through it all, a sparkle of bluish light could be seen, beckoning them forward. Calling out to them from afar.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Leading is not always a task that one chooses but is a task that falls upon one. Hex often wondered if the reason she wanted to lead was because she did not want to follow. At least she did not want to follow anything that was mortal.

Hex did not like the idea of taking Lori away from her chosen task. Hex felt that her task had been compromised by the nature of the events. Events that were like a strong river that was pulling them along...and sometimes one must give in and be taken by the river.

Things were happening here on a scale that was beyond the smallness of Hex and her little band. Small as her band was, she was going to ride this wave and do what needed to be done.

Hex did not like the look of the crater, not one bit.

"Let's move a little to the west and north and make camp there. If the dogs were not spent I would keep moving. I do not like the look of this. I am going to go ahead and scout it and see if I can retrieve a dog or two."

Hex paused for a moment before she headed off...

"This path leads us away form the mission we set out on. I do not know what we follow but it is something. Is it our Ruud that our Queen has set for us? I do not know. I know that this is the way the winds are blowing us in the chaos of this time. I belive that from here the road will get harder, much harder. Look inside yourselves and know that you are ready."

Hex left the small group to set up their meager camp while she set off.
~
Reiker
Defender of the Keep

Post by Reiker »

Reiker followed in silence for the better part of this journey. He didn't know much about these people's traditions or their aspirations. He didn't feel like disrespecting them even more with the thoughts he had in his mind. What he wanted do now was follow, just follow, but even that was getting harder to do.

He spoke out loud in protest as their leader once again set off to do something he didn't like, forgetting that he was there.

"Boss-lady. What exactly are we supposed to do now? Are you going off alone on this? I don't mind following orders, but I do mind not having them. It makes me feel useless, I'm sorry, but at least give me something to do. We've deviated so much already from our plans. I need to know my role on this detour."
[url=http://world4.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=47124424]click me please[/url]
[url=http://www.knightfight.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=63002342]Knights Game[/url]
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

The choice had been made...... Langredoc just moved on, sending a wolfish grin towards Hex and staying close to Lori.

When he had a opportunity he would talk with Lori and train her with knifes and daggers. Somehow it was fun to show the eager young woman the trades of using those weapons. He was sure that when she would have to use it she technically would be able to use her weapons. It made it not sure that she would though, even older men and women had frozen in battles.

The only thing that Langredoc could do is making sure that she would have the right reflexes and skills to stay alive... He himself would only focus on Hex to tell him what was good or wrong in this strange environment.

His senses still warned him that they where watched, and maybe they wrong. He hoped that they where wrong. Strange environment indeed..

Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

As they shifted their camp to a different position, Lori did her best to rummage through the remaining food and supplies to keep it organized and ready, as well as conduct a quick inventory of what they had. By her estimation, they had several days worth of food, if they were cautious and careful with it.

She slept for a bit, huddled in the leeward side of the sled, her head resting against the bundled foodstuffs. When she awoke, she trained at her knives with Langredoc and tried her best to master what he was showing her.
~~~

As they settled into their new encampment, Hex found little difficulty in retrieving some of the dogs. They still were inclined to head north into Gymir's Talons, but in their time together under the watchful eyes of the Kennelmaster, they had become a pack and they stayed with their brothers and sisters. It was a strange thing if one watched the dogs closely. When food was being eaten, they would look on with their baleful eyes. Then as soon as that was gone, their attention would turn north again. Distractions were few, as once they understood what was happening, they would again turn all their eyes to the mountains. It was hard to tell if they were watching for something, or were merely waiting for the command to resume their interaction with the strange shadows and lights.

The day was cool and crisp as they rested. There was little wind to bother or hamper them, and patches of black soil and rocks could be seen emerging through their blanket of snow and ice. Spring was returning.

Throughout the day a beacon of blue light shone from the mountains. It sparkled and danced as if it were some monstrous blue signal fire deep within the Talons. One could not help but feel its pull. It beckoned to them, called out to them, and begged them to come forth.
Last edited by Vanadius on Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

Langredoc pondered what to do.... the original plan had been creating two teams to be sure,
Now being in a new camp he was not feeling well. The light seemed to pull at him, telling him that he was in the wrong place and that he had to move towards it. Langredoc refused its pull on the grounds that he had no trust in it, and besides that it tried to take his right of making his own decisions.

The tenseness caused by the pull from the light caused Langredoc to have his hands near his weapons all the time until he decided that this was madness, they had to do something. Otherwise they would give in to the light one of these days. So with quick steps he returned towards Lori.

"What do you personally want to do ?!" he asked. "I need to know, this situation can not last for ever. We have to act or leave and go home. Because something is happening and we are just barking to the moon at the moment"

Langredoc ignored the two others, he needed conformation from Lori, the non action was driving him crazy because he had the feeling that there was no control, and a invisible enemy.....

Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Lori seemed torn between the two options. On one hand, she had confronted the council and the Kona about spying on Skaali and bringing back word of his movements and motives. On the other had, she, just like everyone else, was drawn to this strange new set of circumstances more and more. She pondered over the decision for a long while, sitting silent and staring off into the distance.

She tried her best to puzzle through the alternatives the best she could. In the end she decided that the Council was strong, and able to resist Skaali without her aid. She hated leaving the thought of infiltrating his band behind, but these strange lights might be a new form of the Queen's assistance, or something else that might be able to aid them. The Council may have to fight Skaali face to face, but she and Hex and the others might be able to help them in some way unknown to all of them. She turned to face Langredoc and answer his question.

"Although I don't wish to give up on our mission, I am thinking that..." She said pointing to the brilliant blue beacon, "... might be the Queen signaling us to some other course. Her palace is up there somewhere, and perhaps it is a summoning."

Lori stood and brushed the snow from her jacket and leggings. She looked to the others as well.

"I don't know about the rest of you, but I need to see what that is. If that is the Queen beckoning to us, then we must obey and follow it. What say you all?"

~~~

There was a strange sensation Hex could feel. A persistent nagging in the back of her mind like a burr under a saddle. It had followed her throughout the night and when she glanced at the glowing blue light, something struck out at her from the endless void around them. A stunning flash like a reflection was cast across her eyes, within it contained a fleeting glimpse of a vision.

...sharp knife... ...coal black eyes....

... a white bear... ...a hooded, cloaked figure in white....

... sharp pain... ...darkness...

Hex knew in an instant then that the Kona was dead. She could almost feel the sharp edge of the knife against her own throat. The Embol had struck at Rimmerhold while they were away. They were all dead. She was certain of it now.

~~~

The other's felt a sense of uneasiness. A gust of wind carried through their camp and brought with it a feeling of despair and uncertainty, as if the very land itself were restless and sad.
Last edited by Vanadius on Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

Langredoc just nodded and responded slowly to Lori's words. "If you say so, miss Lori, if you say so..... Ill go with you."

The young man felt that something was a miss, something strange, instinctively he kept on touching his weapons, checking where they where. No he did not like it. He would follow Lori though, her religious ideas would bring nothing then trouble he guessed. Better to be there then.... yeah, better to be there then.

A feeling told him that he would have been better of by staying on the ship...

O well maybe if he was lucky, he would be back in time to join them again. This job could be soon over.. for better or worse...

Nah, never for worse.. Langredoc smiled.

Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex looked into her mind at the vision that had just passed. She had not really liked the Kona and had thought how she had run things was one of the reasons that things were amiss now. Regardless she was a woman of Trothgard and she was her leader and she was going to be missed.

For a flicker her thoughts went to her family...

The Kona was dead...

Hex let out a sigh. So it had come to be, the old ways had ended and a new era was upon us.

Hex sat a moment in meditation and became one with the cool wind and the harsh land. Trothgard was not dead, the Queen was not dead. She was not dead.

Hex rose and looked to her surroundings and then called her little group together. She did not want to need to repeat herself. She spoke to all but looked to Lori

“The Kona is dead. Your mission was brave and if we had acted months sooner, it may have worked. It was not meant to be. I do not know who or if there is any to do your counter strike. We will move now with a new plan, we will follow the unknown north. In the north we shall find the answers that we seek. I also have friends there.”

Hex looked to the two men.

“The plan has changed the mission has not. We go North and then we shall return to kill the worm and all that fell under his spell. I will do it one at a time if I must. Men are useless without women.”

Hex paused...

“Perhaps a lesson from this is that women also need to listen to men...”

Hex smiled he wicked little smile.

“We leave as soon as you are ready. I see no point is delaying. The Ice Queen is a harsh mistress and I do not want to keep her waiting. We walk the Ruud.”

Hex bent low to scratch the ears of her favorite sled dog. A wolf howled in the distance, echoed in her heart.

The Kona is dead, long live the Witches
~
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Lori listened to Hex's impassioned speech. In her was a great deal of disappointment and sadness. She had fought hard and argued well for the Kona and the Council to undertake her mission, and now with Hex's troubling words, she knew and felt it was all for naught.

That the Council and the Kona was dead was terrible news to the young woman. Her very life had been spent working her way to earn their trust, as well as the trust of her tribal elders. She pondered over what things could possibly like without them to govern Trothgard as she packed the remains of her meager possessions.

In her was a strange swirl of emotions. Sadness, shock horror, all mixed with a certain level of relief to let Hex take control, and underneath it all was a strange sense of adventure as she prepared to look upon sights that few had ever seen before.

She nothing, or little. She was wrapped in her own thoughts and emotions and allowed the others to look to Hex for answers now. She would never recede completely into the background again, but she needed time to gather her strength and her courage to change her path and walk this new ruud now.

When she felt a gust of wind, she shivered in fear rather than from cold. Her inner thoughts bubbled to the surface.

"Do you think the Queen allowed the Kona to die?"

~~~

The rails of the sled sang as they glided over the icy ground. Over their travels they had seen evidence of other pilgrims in this white, snowy land, but now the dogs turned northward and the signs of others fell away and the only signs of passage were their own. The dogs bounded in fresh powder, kicking up little clouds of white as they joyously ran.

They climbed the low foothills of Gymir's Talons, and as the terrain became increasingly steeper, their pace became increasingly slower. It grew colder as they climbed as well, causing all to button up their outer jackets and put on gloves and raise hoods against the constant hiss of wind in their faces.

After a particularly steep slope, a wide plain stretched out before them, and the dogs barked and huffed in sudden elation as the land flattened out underneath their paws and the incline dropped to flat land once more. They increased their speed over the plain until at last the ground began to climb again. Small groves of bare, coniferous trees seemingly glided past them on fluffy clouds of snow, finally breaking up the contrast of white on white.

When they stopped as the sun began to dip behind the sharp peaks, the brilliant blue beacon stood closer and more prominent in their vision. The dancing cobalt light was nestled in the midst of something shining white all around it. Perhaps they could reach it on the morrow.

On the cold and gentle breeze the whisper could be heard again.

Yes Children... So close now... So very close...
Reiker
Defender of the Keep

Post by Reiker »

Hex's words stung the moment she said them. Reiker wasn't fond of being belittled, even though he knew it was the best advantage any soldier could have in a fight, underestimation. He didn't want to voice his disgust at discrimination either. HE had a boss and he followed, disrespect was bad for business. He knew that. All he could do now was grit his teeth to let the words sink in, and follow. He followed, and that was it.

"We go North then," he whispered against the cold.

He instantly felt the harsh opposite of the sands. He was used to blaring heat, but deathly ice was too new a feeling. He shivered as he kept on following, his muscles taut and enduring. He felt a dozen or so knives slashing away at his bones at every bump the sled encountered. He had tried his best to keep it straight, but he wasn't as experienced as the others. The increasing cold didn't help as the north came nearer.

Reiker couldn't help but curse when they stopped to see where they were. He got off his sled and tightened the threads that kept the cold away. He needed to get used to this and fast. He didn't like fighting with chest armor, let alone thick inches of cloth gripping his body.

He stared over the horizon and there he found the light they followed. He looked at Langredoc and Hex. He opened his mouth to speak, but stopped himself. He didn't have much to say. He waited on instead.
[url=http://world4.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=47124424]click me please[/url]
[url=http://www.knightfight.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=63002342]Knights Game[/url]
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

OOC: I Got a bit confused about when to post. Sorry for that.

Langredoc watched the sky and tasted the air for clues about what was happening. People had died, but none that he knew or cared for. That made it easy for him to bare. No worries about things you can not change was a lesson well learned by him.

"Do you think the Queen allowed the Kona to die?" Lori said to Hex and for himself the said softly "Everybody dies in the end, with our without permission of the Gods."

He made himself ready, if they would go north it would be north. But he had a strong feeling that north would mean a lot of trouble.... and not for the last time hie wished that he was back on a ship full of women. That now already had left the harbor.

He kicked a stone away. North...............

Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Wind and snow bit at the tips of Hex's hair that thrashed in the wind. Snow would fill her vision and then be gone, leaving her with the vision of the beacon of blue in the distance.

Langredoc's words drifted to her on the wind...

"Be glad that when you die that is all that will happen to you."

Hex pointed North to the object.

"I want to be there within the morningtide..."

It was not a request, she started to move.
~
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

When at last the source of the impossible blue beacon could be determined, they had nearly traveled a full day and night. Up into the peaks they had climbed, scaling steep slopes of treacherous ice and hard, unforgiving stone. When they reached a flat surface again, the relief in both dog and human legs was strongly felt.

In front of them was a monstrous wall of ice. It's thickness could not be determined, and its height could only be guessed at. It towered above them like the mountains themselves, and was frozen and eternal as it stood. It one direction it simply led away from their view, off into the far horizon. In the other was the source of the blue.

It was a monstrous keep and fortress. Crystal blue ice reflected the light, shimmering and glowing in the last of the sun's rays. A wide causeway stretched out before them, a road of crushed gravel to make travel easier and less precarious on the icy slopes.

The causeway led directly to the gates of the keep itself. They were massive blocks of ice, frozen together and impenetrable. Behind them the fortress stood, tall slender spires reaching into the sky. There was no sign of life. No guards, no protectors, no movement of any kind in the icy fortress of the north. Only a misty fog that slowly churned its way across the frozen peaks that when it touched them, would leave icy crystals on their clothes and air.

The gates stood open, silent, forbidding, ominous.
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

Langredoc felt the tiredness into his bones, he was used to hard labor but the treacherousness of the terrain had taken its toll. His eyes scanned the foreign environment with a restlessness born in distrust. The silence was for the man more then the blue beacon a signal of problems and death.... his hands never far away from his weapons and his body a shield for Lori.

"No guards, no sign of life...." Langredoc whispered, why he whispered he did not know, but it was loud enough to be heard by the others... Voices carry far in this kind of silence..

"Who does the scouting ? Me ?" he then resumed ignoring rule number two, never volunteer.

He knew though that trouble rarely came from the side you expected it..

Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex could only hear the sound of heavy feet crushing gravel.

She was at the gate of the Ice Queen. Hex did not question, she did not fear.

Langredoc's voice broke her thought.

"No. We shall all meet her together,"

Ever alert, ever the warrior, Hex moved forward down the long corridor before them.
~
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

OOC: Strange I have not gotten a reply email, sorry for the late reaction...

Langredoc watched Hex move, if their was one warrior in the group it was her he concluded. The way she moved also told him that there was more then the eye could see and she knew it.

Her ? he thought...

The young man shrugged and made his swords appear in his hands. If he would face danger it would not be alone, his loyal weapons right at hand.
Thus he followed Hex closely, into a corridor leading to the unknown.

He smiled.

Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Langredoc drew his weapons and followed her into the corridor.

Hex turned and smiled to the brave warrior.

"You have no need for those here, and if you did I feel that they would be useless, as would my own. This, unless I am drugged and in a deep sleep, and then you would not be here, is the palace of our [i}Queen[/i]."

Hex winked.
~
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

Langedoc chuckled at Hexes remark.

"Well, she could be your Queen, but I am sure she is not mine..." he responded with a smile.

"And if she is as fickle as all women I have met around here, I am not even sure if two swords is enough to hold her off."

Then he turned more serious. "Its too quiet around here..... So I prefer to hold on to my weapons, I apologize later when it turns out to be a unnecessary precaution."

Without words he added.... and if it is necessary I prefer to be prepared..

His guard went up even higher, maybe Hex was too trusting this time, and he did not want her to pay the price for it.

Return to “Trothgard Archive”