UoM: Turn the Page (Chyril 22nd, Early TT) (Open)

Moderator: Mods

Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

Post by Aerin Penna Seleratus »

"There was a time I would have been able to help, Aerin, but I am afraid the funds have dried up. Turning lead into gold is not nearly as lucrative as everyone thinks."

Aerin nodded along with his words. Were it as easy and lucrative as simply muttering a spell, alchemists throughout Tazlure would have long since flooded the market with 'easy gold' and turned what was formerly mere lead into the precious metal of rarity. Thankfully, however, they had not, for she much preferred the light weight of a pocket full of gold to that of a handful of lead. "Oh it is quite alright, Professor, and I would not feel right - even if the funds were there - to have my teacher paying for my lessons." Aerin interjected with a smile and small blush.

"The University requires payment of a semester at a time, 4 crowns."

Aerin tried to remain optimistic at his words. She was, after all, halfway there - which was far better than showing up bannerless on the docks. Aerin wholly doubted that she would raise the money in a few days, much less a few marks, which meant that her education may have to go on hold for a bit longer. But not indefinitely... she thought with a smile and another glance at the glass, remembering the visions that she had witnessed within.

"But do not lose hope. It is my understanding that interested persons are prepared to sponsor promising young wizards. I would enquire at the Temple of Pecunia. And if you need to convince anyone of the your likely success as a student here, refer them to me."

If the professor were thus inclined and staring closely, he would have probably seen the element of fire exist only behind Aerin's eyes as the rest of her body cradled in the sweet caress of ice, chills running down her spine at the thought of a diety - even one besides Dominicus - being in command of her studies. "Pecunia... I have heard the name, but nothing more than that..." she repeated, unable to mask the faint flavor of sour in her tone. She had seen the 'demands' that Dominicus had placed on her own family, the 'sacrifices' that her father had made which had darkened her views of religion as a whole. "And what would Pecunia demand of me in return for this 'sponsorship', I wonder. Have you known any others who have entered into such a pact with this temple?"

Aerin was not wholly dismissing the thought of entering negotiations with a sponsor, even from the temple, but did not want to feel any loopholes in a sponsorship agreement become a noose tightening around her throat.
”The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” – Nietzsche

Avatar by Draconis (Found and resized by Paige)
http://drakonis.org
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Not personally, no." Pralix admitted. "However, it is my understanding that you owe your sponsor a time of service equal to the time they support your studies though some allow a clause to pay off the debt as well, usually some multiple of the tuition paid."

"Also, I did not mean to imply that you must accept sponsership from the Temple itself though I believe that is an option." Pralix went on. "The Temple is where most men of business congregate and make deals. If the deal the Temple offers is not to your liking, I am sure there will be other interested parties."
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

"Not personally, no. However, it is my understanding that you owe your sponsor a time of service equal to the time they support your studies though some allow a clause to pay off the debt as well, usually some multiple of the tuition paid."

Self-imposed slavery. Aerin groaned internally – now there was a pleasing thought. She had, however, expected as much.

"Also, I did not mean to imply that you must accept sponsership from the Temple itself though I believe that is an option. The Temple is where most men of business congregate and make deals. If the deal the Temple offers is not to your liking, I am sure there will be other interested parties."

Aerin felt her smile return, along with a deeply reddening blush. So quick was she to jump into judgment at the word ‘Temple’ that the thought of any dealings there being non-religious in nature had wholly slipped her mind. “If you are willing to vouch for my potential, Professor, I am sure that there will be at least one deal at the temple to my liking. If not, as you say, I could always find other means.” In a vision of worst-case-scenarios, Aerin wandered momentarily through her memories of her previous life – acting as a succulent worm to reel in fat fish for Rat and his men. Perhaps, if she needed to, she could risk herself a bit in order to separate a few men from their clothes and – in doing so – their weapons and coin purses. The lean redhead both embraced and rebuked the thought, remembering Duncan’s kind eyes and momentarily seeing them filled with cold indifference as she was led away to the stocks for murder. No…, she quickly thought …only if no ‘flowers’ blossom from within this ‘pile of shit’ called indebtedness…

“But, no matter the case, Professor, you can probably rest assured that this will not be the last that you see of me, just as I am clinging to the faith that the test I just took will not be the last that I see of the Aether…” She gave a smile lit from the brief flash of memory tied to her glimpse at the world within a world. “I do, very much, wish to see more…”
”The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” – Nietzsche

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"For my part, I very much would like to see you enroll here." Pralix admitted. "So many see alchemy as an add on or an ordeal to be endured before moving on to more interesting things, you see." Pralix sighed. "They just don't see its beauty, only its utility." Pralix sighed.

"Well enough of my ramblings." Pralix smiled at her. "In belief of your resourcefulness, I shall prepare the necessary contracts and clear the way for your enrollment. When you return, a signature and payment will be all between you and your classes." Pralix assured her. "Oh, just a moment." Pralix went over to a shelf full of books and papers and pored through them for a moment. Then he plucked out a slim volume and handed it to Aerin. "Its a treatise on basic alchemical concepts. Just in case it is a while before we meet again." He explained.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

"For my part, I very much would like to see you enroll here. So many see alchemy as an add on or an ordeal to be endured before moving on to more interesting things, you see. They just don't see its beauty, only its utility. Well enough of my ramblings. In belief of your resourcefulness, I shall prepare the necessary contracts and clear the way for your enrollment. When you return, a signature and payment will be all between you and your classes. Oh, just a moment."

Aerin had nodded along with him as he spoke, choosing the moment when he had stepped away from her to peruse the bookshelf to speak. "I know what you mean..." she said with an acknowledging smile and nothing more as he handed her the book.

"Its a treatise on basic alchemical concepts. Just in case it is a while before we meet again."

"Thank you, professor, I will treasure it and return it to you - along with my enrollment - as soon as I am able, even if I have to beg at the Temple to do so." Aerin promised, giving another glance around the room. "I ask not for unpaid instruction, Professor, but might I linger for just a bit longer, quietly, and watch you work? Unlike others in the past, I do enjoy watching the beauty of alchemy in motion and promise that I will neither interrupt nor interfere..."
[hr]OOC: We do not have to RP it out if you would allow her to watch, a summary would suffice. If not, she can easily leave.[/hr]

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: Sorry for the delay.

Pralix smiled at her request. He walked back over to the rack and handed her back the focusing pendant. "I am forbidden to teach but you are welcome to watch." He winked at her and then he went back about his tasks. It was unclear exactly what he was doing with that black rock. Light energy as pouring into it but was swiftly absorbed. Aerin could see ripples in the black stone like raindrops hitting a puddle but to her eyes the black sat cold and dark. Still, it was clear over time that the rock was shifting slowly. The patterns changed slowly. From time to time Pralix would pour over concoctions charged with fire or water and the patterns within would change again. Largely though, it was slow waiting.

Aerin was allowed to stay as long as she liked and Pralix collected the crystal from her when she was ready to depart.

OOC: Looks like a good place to stop to me. Feel free to start up your next thread.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

"I am forbidden to teach but you are welcome to watch."

Aerin gave a nod at his words, coupled with a girlish grin at his wink, finding an out-of-the-way seat quickly to watch Pralix and his helpers work, one eye watching the mundane scenery wile the other peered through the glass, the vision in her eys a blurred mixture of Aether and Tether as she looked from one object to another without pause. Time stood still for the young redhead as she studied for as long as she dared - his wink making her feel a welcome which seemed not to wear out too quickly - and then returned his crystal to him before exusing herself out of his lab and - for a short time, she hoped - his teacher's eye.[hr]OOC:Tristam and GW, please see your PM's for a CC'd segue request.

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Thread Skilled!
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Inner City Archive”