Pan's Isle - after the Recess

Moderators: Ashari, Mods

Finley Ward
Retired staff

Pan's Isle - after the Recess

Post by Finley Ward »

The year 1224 AD was one of shocking dynamics upon Pan's Isle, once the capital of the religion of Pan, but abandoned in favor of the Citadel. It was a joyful place of faeries, centaurs and other exotic races. It was however one of its minor export products that proved the undoing of this little haven. Coffee, made into the much priced espresso, a brew that was both expensive and fashionable in the leading merchant city of World's Mouth.

Noticing how the area was practically undefended the Merchants of the Mouth, in an unlikely alliance with the Prodesse, went along with simply taking the isle for themselves, founding a colony called Aveas. The locals were unable to resist the far superior technology of World's Mouth, even though they were desperately trying to. The Empire could not muster its Imperial troops due to the lack of a Caesar, though Furst Erwin von zu Dort-Billigh, who had investments in the area gathered private troops to free Pan's Isle.

The merchants had entered the war without informing their monarch, focused on the gains that Pan's Isle had offered more than the crusade against the Heathens. It was the Kings arrival that threatened to steal away the profit, for win or lose he would credit himself with the colony. While the war was fought over every inch of ground on Aveas, massacring the royalist troops including the King, but unable to beat the superior force of the Mouthie legions and mercenaries, including the airship Lykos, it was the Merchant Council of World's Mouth that negotiated a treaty with the Empire, effectively creating the free city state of World's Mouth. It made Aveas a colony of the Mouth under Imperial authority, granting the Empire the right to tax. The royalists barely escaped with their lives and the Oneists too saw their forces seriously reduced and without finance. While a nominal number of Inquisitors remained their influence on Aveas was gone.

While the colony was but one town with assorted plantations, the treaty stated giving the Mouthies the entire isle as territory, their authority accepted by the Empire. However the forest was too thick, too dangerous to ever enforce that and small bands of resistance of old panlings and centaurs remained.

When the treaty was signed the colonists realized that there had been a slight oversight. Because one force remained on Aveas that was still not conquered, slain or befriended. The dark adhiel of Gulanadur did not care for merchants, royalist or oneists. Ramius Lo Russo negotiated with the this ancient yet unknown force. Their demands were simple. They wanted to slay the Oneists, and thus were fundamental in driving the remaining Purificatio and Royalists troops from the the isle. Gulanadur was also granted Fort Dusk as an outpost, allowing the dark adhiel to freely roam the surface of Tazlure. Finally, like World's Mouth the dark adhiel offered a hand of friendship to the Empire, through their contacts with Furst Erwin von zu Dort-Billigh who already had family and trade contacts in the city. Erwin pushed the inclusion of Gulanadur in the Empire through the council after a new Caesar had been elected.

After the peace treaty, Aveas now the new name of the Isle under Imperial authority, and not just the name of the city, the colonists organized themselves in a Merchant Council with a military leader. The colony remained subservient to the Magister of Foreign Affairs of the Mouth Carloni. Their primary focus was the coffee plantations. Using "voluntarily labor" from amongst the locals, as well as slaves brought in through the secret trade rout with Terra Incognita and of course the close by Gulanadur, a good crop was ensured even after the destruction of War. Due to its tropical climate Aveas had nearly no winter and two harvests per year. A small resistance from the locals remained, hiding in the tropical forest, hunted down by the colonists.

This is probably the sum total of all information we currently have to work on in Pan's Isle - there appear to be no other Dev notes. There are a couple of active threads (I think), and of course the replies of the players in the Recess thread, as well as Tristam's reply:

The battle for Pan's Isle was a chaotic and many sided affair that still remains a mystery even to those that fought in it. It started with a powerful assault by the Army of the One upon the ragged defenders of Gatetown. Though caught in cunning traps and whittled down by arrows, it was soon apparent that the heavily mailed soldiers would smash through the Panling lines. Then Finodborn called forth the might of the Fae Host. A rainbow of scintillating death and lethal mischief decimated the Oneist forces and sent them fleeing back to Aveas. Both sides were weakened and near defenseless but neither had the forces to take advantage.

Reinforcements poured in from the portals on both sides and again they met in battle, this time in the thin woods between Aveas and Gatetown. Once again the Oneists appeared to have the upper hand until on the eve of the battle, the forces of the Mouth just melted away into the forest and the dark adhiel arrived in force. The Oneist forces were crushed but the jubilation at the victory was short lived as the new Governor of Aveas Isle explained with what political coin the victory had been bought.

Many Panlings were simply too weary to fight any longer even against this injustice foisted on them in the name of peace. They did not have the stamina for rage and wished only to return to their lives of Art and Joy. These Panlings flocked to the new city that Sevti had won for them through their Ambassador at Citadel, Rosalie Lo Russo. It was named Seinor, New Day in Adhiel. The Fae of the Isle had opened the fringes of their wood to the displaced Panlings and there a small but growing town was shaped out of the trees. The Panlings found comfort in going back to nature in contrast to the mechanical minded Mouthies.

The month of Yulember was spent by Panling and Mouthie alike in rebuilding and preparation. Then in Darkenry, things changed. Those of the Blood never really considered the war over. Indeed bands of them still sniped at Mouthie interest whenever they could. Now that Seinor was established and the Artlings and Joylings were safe under the watch of the Fae, the Bloodlings left Seinor and joined the Centaurs in open resistance of the Mouthie government.

Finodborn was gladly welcomed by them and his plan for trying to blend in with the Mouthies to find weaknesses within attracted a few like minded adhiel. Anybody willing to work or seeking profit was welcomed back to Aveas. A shantytown in the nearby woods became the home of many laborers brought it to satisfy the demand for field hands and it was easy to blend in among them. Whimsy chose to travel with him though she wouldn't enter the city often. In the woods, she helped to train his bardic gifts though she seemed uneasy at the path he was taking.

Sevti found herself a pillar of the community that existed only because of her. Several paintings and statues of her laying the first cornerstone or other such fictional Founder's Day events were popular subjects for Art. Paloma took the mantle of High Priestess at last and was glad to train Sevti in the ways of Pan's worship. Sevti knew Paloma to be divided by her duty to her people. She often talked of joining the resistance but feared for the town's stability if she left. Thyren was welcomed by the Panlings as one of their own and his time is Seinor passed pleasantly enough. During his time there, Thyren made the acquaintance of a Pooka that kept an eye on the growing town. This Fae, Gwyllin by name, saw the mark of the Trickster upon Thyren and was intrigued. From this friendly spirit, Thyren learned that those that walk the paths of Fate always end up where they are needed so choices were never a thing to fear or even to worry about them. Just make them and trust to the road. Before leaving to walk his own path, Gwyllin presented Thyren with a new card to add to his deck, a shimmering mirror. "Whenever this card appears, look to yourself for the answers." Then he faded away.

Gotham found solace and wisdom aplenty in the deeper woods. Whatever direction he chose led him to splendid natural beauty or nature red in tooth in claw. In fact, many of the scenes about him mirrored the tensions within and this was no coincidence. Though he knew it not, Gotham was pixie-led on many an occasion either to teach him lessons or for simple amusement. Pan's Isle had decided to accept him despite his origins and rewarded his decision with a glimpse into the lifeforce of the isle. There would always be a little of the wild in his heart and on his shoulder in the form of Squeeker.

But other than that, I think we have a clean slate to work with. Which makes life marginally simpler - no notes or lots of notes, that's the key. Either is good.

So... what we need in this thread is any and all information we can gather on post-War, post-Recess Pan's Isle... and then we can go about remaking it in whatever image we wish. Pan's Isle has the potential to be one of the most politically interesting areas in Tazlure, what with the colony of Aveas owned by World's Mouth (and the coffee trade), and the dark adhiel now moving from Gul to Fort Dusk, and beyond in the form of Ambassador Ssinith (and hopefuly Maevin too). This means we have links to WM and to the Cit - Grey Wolf and Morgan, I would appreciate your input in the coming days, to any or all of these notes. Lots of work to be done. :)

This thread is primarily to get all information we have together and then start brainstorming the way forward.
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

It is my understanding that the isle formerly known as Pan's Isle was accepted into the council with a seat as the colony of Aveas (named after the city of that name), the fae populace ignored (strong possibility of guerrilla and other stuff), just like Gulanadur was accepted with a seat.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

From the Recess thread, I also understand the following:

Sevti found Abeas dead (so that plot is gone), and travelled to the Citadel to negotiate the setting up of another city on PI, the opposite end to Aveas. I think this was what became of Gatetown? The city appears to be called Seinor, and appears in this thread: http://www.tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?p=190068&highlight=#190068

So we have a new city. I suppose this is (politically) necessary or even understandable, but it appears to mean that we have a whole bunch of location stickies up for Aveas, and nobody playing there - and a whole bunch of players in Seinor (or at least, we did til they all went AWOL), and not one location sticky for it. Seinor = the new Pax. Yay.

In practical terms, this is going to make running the Isle harder, since we're going to end up with it split into the lovely elves and their lovely elven city, and the evil Mouthies and their evil Mouthie city - by rights it should be one big loc which will interact with itself massively, but in game terms I somehow doubt this will happen as much as we'd like. Suggestions, anyone?
Last edited by Finley Ward on Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

It is like the English using Native Americans to learn the tricks, then double crossing them.

Dependant on good coffee harvest the Mouthies need the knowledge of the adhiel on how to manage plantations. However, once they learn the trick they will undercut this new city, gaining control of it and perhaps using it for something that can never be allowed in official Mouthie territory but for which such a new seemingly independent city would be perfect: slavery.

Now adhiel might be able to flee into the forest (as Indians frequently did) but slaves brought in from other areas will not be so lucky. The alien environment will make them dependent on their masters.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

If you'll be coordinating PI, you might be interested in this plot which culminates in this thread. The thread starts off in Aveas, passing briefly through it. It should probably have had a new thread for the flight itself, but hey.

Since this is mine and Brytan's baby, when we heard about Tristam's accident we simply agreed to fill in the loose bit in the middle, as the expedition was only using Aveas as a starting point. Some of Brytan's posts in that thread might be useful for background, though.

On another note, a good while back, Valsert and I were chatting through some possibilities for the military of the Mouth, and we came up with a concept you might like to run with. Basically our problem was that the Mouth had a standing force that was too large. So... we suggested that a whole legion be shipped over to the new colony of Aveas!

The wiki wrote:Richelairre

The Ash Hounds. This legion once had a magnificent reputation, but fell to disgrace and now resides in the Seams.

These guys seem the obvious choice. They have no dev work done on them apart from the above (as far as I can find), and I'm sure they'd love a chance to redeem themselves... even if it meant being sent out to the back of beyond. Furthermore, with the centaurs, adhiel and dark adhiel all around the place, Aveas has gotta be feeling the need for a military force right now.

We can chat this over some more if you're interested. Maeve's interpretation of the political situation seems exactly right, btw.

Sorry for the splurge... hope you can make something useful of it! I'm always around for specific questions, too.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

*nods* Thank you both for your contributions. I think one of the strengths of PI is the sheer volume of exported content - we might be collecting content from World's Mouth, the Citadel, Dort, Sabata, and even other places - anywhere that's big on trade will want a piece of us. Which is going to make plotting this place easy peasy. :)

Even better, I see no reason why racial tensions between the existing factions on the island will just disappear overnight. We have four strong factions: the dark adhiel, the Panlings, the Mouthies and the centuars - none of whom are immediately going to trust one another and some of whom might be openly at war with one another. I foresee a lot of strife all round. Your legion would be most welcome, Morgan - I have just the place for them! :) Aveas is going to need protecting from potential vigilante action, as well as possibly raiding this new Seinor for slaves in future!
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

PM from Ceris:

Hey Finn, just to let you know this character is currently inactive. Didn't really do much post recess. The recess post is in Citadel if your curious, but I don't think it is particularly relevant. :p

thanks though

...just a quick thought. It kinda doesn't matter how many ideas we have for PI if we don't have any players, does it? :P I'll have to see if I get any more replies. At the moment, we might have two - one noob, and Finodborn. If Sev and Thyrennan return, make that four. One other possible in the future. I'm not sure it's looking great at the moment, guys.
Last edited by Finley Ward on Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

If I recall correctly, Seinor wasn't that far away from Aveas. In Finodborn's recess post, it was his intention to work a day job in Aveas in any case, and i was already suggested there that the adhiel could be used as labourers for the plantations. Maybe we can conceptualize it as a kind of ghetto, only one that is nearer/in the forests and hence not quite fitting the stereotype of the grey neighborhood? It could be one location that way, even though IC it might be a bit hard to imagine the new adhiel city to be founded in their own old razed ruins.

It is certain, however, that Aveas is the old Tal'FeaTaur, which was a costal/fisherman's city
Verum et factum convertuntur.
Avatar by the Artist Currently Known as Eira.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Addendum: for political plotting it is very important to know what happened to Eilish, who I think held a vote in the Council.
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

My post-recess activity is, sadly, limited to this: http://www.tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=13931

I am pretty sure it is also Sevti's an Thyrennan's only post-recess activity.

I'm not sure what you need to know on PI. Reading Sevti's recess post might clarify a thing or two. I recall mostly fae NPC's, because that's what Finodborn has been seeing for the last RL year or so.

There is of course Eilish, I have no clue where she would be at this point. Then there's Paloma, the local mother Theresa, who's taken Sevti under her wings, but I don't know what happened to her during the last phase of the war. I think she was introduced here http://www.tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=10386&highlight=paloma
Then there's Allegra, an NPC of my first thread ever or so, who was reintroduced later in one of Gotham's threads. She's basically yet another helping the community type, and Finoborn has no memory of here since he gave that up in return for the fae's help in battle, so there is no immediate need for her to be reintroduced. She has been mentioned in teh conversation with Gotham in the first linked thread of this message.

I stumbled upon this, which might be useful: http://www.tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=13051&highlight=finodborn+sevti
It reminded me of the fact that there were more PC's on PI: Neit Akil and Torc, and even Raevyn at some point (dont' know where she went).

Feel free to ask if you have any questions, even though I'm not sure I can help much.

x & thanks,
Fin.

Hope you don't mind me sticking this PM in here, Finodborn - it is very useful and I want to keep it with all our other very useful info for the moment! :)
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Tristam's recess post seems to clarify that there are only 'thin woods' between Aveas and Seinor.

It also says the Bloodlings and the Cenatur are collaborating.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Raevyn went to the Citadel as part of the Gulanadur train :)
Morg

Post by Morg »

Neit's there too. Torc, meanwhile, is in Pax.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

Several bits of the Recess make no sense to me. I'm typing them out to get my head around them.

The dark adhiel of Gulanadur did not care for merchants, royalist or oneists. Ramius Lo Russo negotiated with the this ancient yet unknown force. Their demands were simple. They wanted to slay the Oneists, and thus were fundamental in driving the remaining Purificatio and Royalists troops from the the isle. Gulanadur was also granted Fort Dusk as an outpost, allowing the dark adhiel to freely roam the surface of Tazlure.

Why? If I were the dark adhiel, I'd welcome the Oneists - they caused the change that set them free for the first time in... well, centuries. My enemy's enemy is my friend. Just because they are a different race and religion, or disagree on principle, is not a reason to be fighting.

Those of the Blood never really considered the war over. Indeed bands of them still sniped at Mouthie interest whenever they could. Now that Seinor was established and the Artlings and Joylings were safe under the watch of the Fae, the Bloodlings left Seinor and joined the Centaurs in open resistance of the Mouthie government.

Why would the Centaurs join with anyone in fighting the Mouthies? Surely their primary interest right now is their ancient duty to hold in the dark adhiel - which incidentally, they failed at. I would have thought the Centaurs would be far more interested in dealing with the dark adhiel than they would at fighting the Mouthies. Again, this isn't fairy wonderland where all the lovely unusual fae folk join together to fight the relentless march of progress.

his plan for trying to blend in with the Mouthies to find weaknesses within attracted a few like minded adhiel.

Be interested in how this is supposed to work - adhiel and humans not exactly looking alike. A Mouthie can spot a pointy-eared heathen at fifty paces. ;)

And finally, there seem to be too many fairies around for my liking. As I understand it, fairies worship the Mother (in the same way all natural things do - trees, dryads, plants, forest creatures). Well, worship... more like recognise and are a part of. Anything that is part of the natural order and exists in the wilds seems unlikely to be too impressed with a city in their midst - ask the badger how he feels about a copse being cut down, or even better, ask the trees themselves. So I can't see them supporting or helping out the adhiel - unless it directly affects them, they wouldn't care - and if it directly affects them, they'd simply attack or defend against whoever it was directly affecting them, surely? Well, that's my reading of it. But I guess I don't go in for romantic notions of 'non-humans banding together against the evil march of progress.'

I guess things in PI might be a little different with me as coord... I'm going to start brainstorming the way forward - setting down general themes, ideas, etc for the future - tonight in a new thread here in Dev. I'd gather notes on my players, but it looks like the only ones I have at the moment are Finodborn (who, I hope, will help me out with any of his recent history that I might have inadvertantly overlooked!), and a noob halfgiant who looks like fun, Nakwa. Once themes are set, I'll start developing actual content - NPCs and such - because it appears we have very few (well, few that I'm prepared to keep!).

I might also get our esteemed Grant to set up a quick map using his map-making skillz, if he has time! :)
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

There is a good reason why the dark adhiel (god I hate that name) would turn against the oneists: the Oasis. Many of their people were slaughtered there by Dominicus himself, hence they have a score to settle with the Oneists.

As far as the centaur go, I see your point. Keeping in the dark adhiel would seem their primary goal. Only rationale I can come up with is that if the above is correct, letting the dark adhiel do their thing for a while might cost both them and the mouthies numbers, so they would face weaker opponents later on. But that's a long shot. They serve Pan, however, who is maybe, at this point, rather more pissed with the colonists than with the dark adhiel. (Seems essential to clear out why exaclty they are kept locked in - I don't remember - and whether Pan still feels obliged to take care of that.)

The blending in part refers to my recess post. It was Finodborn's intention to do manual labor (cfr. the use of adhiel as cheap labor force which has popped up as a theme already) to have a reason to look around.

The adhiel on Pan's Isle are not the tree-cutting kind. Their shapers form trees as to provide the basis for housing, and the cliche concept has always been to live harmoniously with nature. The cities of Pan's Isle, as I imagined them, have always been in the woods.

As far as the protection of the fae goes, you may have a point. Finodborn made a deal with them, pointing out the danger of The One getting a foot on the Isle. However, the deal was that they would help out with one battle, and they've paid that debt.
At least Finodborn, Gotham and Thyrennan have friends amongst the fae, which might be the reason for the widely spread presence of these nasty bugs.
As far as their religious allegiance goes, I don't know, really. I suppose the Mother would make sense, but it still is Pan's Isle; I'd think the fae on PI might be a bit more mischievous and unstable than the other varieties.

A big factor, hence, seems how much you want the gods to have a real impact on this place. Last thing I heard, this Pan dude was pretty much losing his mind and getting lust for blood, regardless long term consequences.

If you need anything on my PC history, feel free to ask (since I don't know where you've looked, I don't know where you've possibly overlooked
:P )
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

There is a good reason why the dark adhiel (god I hate that name) would turn against the oneists: the Oasis. Many of their people were slaughtered there by Dominicus himself, hence they have a score to settle with the Oneists.

Were dark adhiel slaughtered there? I was under the impression the dark adhiel had all been trapped under the ground for ages, and all those who died at the Oasis were regular adhiel. Correct me if I'm wrong, this was a little before my time.

Besides, that might be a reason to fight Oneists, and possibly Dominicus himself, but not necessarily the Mouthies - who are not at all motivated by religion, but rather by money. In fact, I suspect the remaining 'Mouthies' on Pan's Isle consist of very few actual Mouthies at all - more likely, hired mercenaries and slaves, neither of which would necessarily be Oneists. Remember - very little the Mouthies do is religiously motivated (though they might use religion as an excuse), and this is one of the major reasons they split from the Western Kingdom.

The adhiel on Pan's Isle are not the tree-cutting kind. Their shapers form trees as to provide the basis for housing, and the cliche concept has always been to live harmoniously with nature. The cities of Pan's Isle, as I imagined them, have always been in the woods.

This makes no difference. From a tree's point of view, being 'shaped' is barely more preferable than being cut down - shapers may think they are very at one with nature, but in truth do they ever consider if the trees like to be shaped? I would imagine not... think about it - what would you prefer, if you were a tree? To be (in your opinion) hideously deformed, or to be cut down? Both are pretty horrible. Distorting nature to your own ends is not necessarily a nice, peaceful way of interacting with the forest - of course, the forest itself really isn't a particularly peaceful place, if you look at it rationally, death being a constant. I don't agree that the Panlings are living harmoniously with nature though.

As far as their religious allegiance goes, I don't know, really. I suppose the Mother would make sense, but it still is Pan's Isle; I'd think the fae on PI might be a bit more mischievous and unstable than the other varieties.

A big factor, hence, seems how much you want the gods to have a real impact on this place. Last thing I heard, this Pan dude was pretty much losing his mind and getting lust for blood, regardless long term consequences.

Pan is an aspect of the Mother, though - I'm looking at this in more general terms. Remove the label 'mother' and think directly about how a forest works, and you're closer to what I'm trying to explain - a natural creature thinks in terms of the food chain, and the hierarchy of things, natural order - and this doesn't mean pretty flowers and lovely leafy brooks and deer lying down with the wolf. Harmony also means death, kill or be killed, and there is a certain violence inherent in nature which all natural (Motherist) things would also embrace. A natural spirit - such as a fairy - is not a nice, pretty thing any more than a wolf is, or a stone, or a tree. It's a natural thing, which leads to some entirely different suppositions.

As for how much I want the gods to be involved - well, as little as possible. I don't really go in for all that 'the gods did it' stuff. Oh, of course, if gods become a necessary part of the story then, why not? But personally, I find people and their natural dynamics more interesting than finding excuses and reasons through random theology. :) Religion is a wonderfully strong motivator for PCs - and will lead them to do all sorts of fascinating things! But that doesn't mean I'm going to have the overall plot here being "and Pan is doing this"... because I find that faintly ridiculous, and even worse, unpredictable. ;)

Annnyway, at this point I'm just throwing ideas around. I have a fairly clear idea of what I intend... and... without being completely hardass about this, things are going to change a little with me in charge! ;) Purely because, well... I have different ways of doing things! :)
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

No, the dark adhiel were definitely there too. (Including, for example, Raevyn). The Moonlady was directly involved, apart from Pan and the Mother. All the adhiel were needed to gather the rose stones to give Dominicus a spanking.
As far as the Mouthies go: it remains to be seen how much the dark adhiel would care about such subtleties (thinking from a war perspective now). Especially if they're wealthy.

The description of the trees and shaping, the harmonious life with the fae etc etc has been used like that IC for as long as I can remember. Of course, you can feel free to change whatever you want.

I never said the PI fae are nice, jittery dancing or pink. Fin has supposedly been taking mental killing classes with them :P
Finodborn's entire IC life has consisted out of following the whims of the gods, going to the Oasis, being sent back to PI to fight after that, and there's this lousy prophecy lying around too. I'm sure he would certainly welcome some more personal control over his fate.
If Pan's Isle, though, is no longer clearly Pan's Isle in some manifest way, a basically shy kid like Finodborn wouldn't be there to fight for it.

That all being said, I'm very confident in your capacity to turn things upside down here for the better! :P
Morg

Post by Morg »

Finley Ward wrote:From a tree's point of view, being 'shaped' is barely more preferable than being cut down - shapers may think they are very at one with nature, but in truth do they ever consider if the trees like to be shaped? I would imagine not... think about it - what would you prefer, if you were a tree? To be (in your opinion) hideously deformed, or to be cut down? Both are pretty horrible.

I always got the impression that Shaping wasn't so much about the "shaping" itself as a process of imposition, but about talking to the trees and making a friendly compromise, corny as that may sound. The wiki sees it that way:

The article on Shaping wrote:Shapers have a certain amount of control over the trees, which in desperate times can rise up and help defend the lands of Taquar. This ‘control’ is more so an understanding between both Shaper and Tree, a mutual relationship of trust, friendship, growing into a deep and meaningful love.

It may seem like a slight difference, but I think that the principle is that the adhiel would ask the trees before bending them. :) And since their energy comes from "the natural energy of the trees and nature", if they went against the trees' wishes they wouldn't be able to manipulate it, much like a priest who goes against the strictures of his religion would lose access to divine energy.

In the grand scheme of things it's a minor point, though. I fully agree that we should be trying to avoid "a wizard did it". Except, perhaps, in the following case:

Recess wrote:his plan for trying to blend in with the Mouthies to find weaknesses within attracted a few like minded adhiel.

Wizard! :P :bday:
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

LOL
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

Okay, been giving this area a lot of thought over the past week or so - sorry I've been conspicuously absent during this time, excessively busy IRL at the moment... I intend to dedicate some weekend-time to PI.

As far as I can see, we have four factions in PI, and really with everything going on we don't need to set up anything else at all - we just need to organise those four factions and figure out what they're doing, and what the major/important NPCs in those groups are. I suspect the rest will develop organically as we play.

With this in mind I'll be creating four faction threads (one for each) where we can keep notes and suchlike for each group, and I will start to gather my NPCs in those. So if you see some new topics coming up here, that's why.

Return to “Aveas Archive”