Hunting the Hunter... Hafne, Chyril 22nd late ET

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Thrandil
Hunter, Lieutenant Emerald Guard

Post by Thrandil »

OOC: very sorry for the lack of activity, had some irl stuff

IC:
Thran knelt at his place, but didn't fit into the circle. The young Adhiel of Pan's Isle placed his hands on the ground, and closing his eyes he was doing his own prayer to the Mother. To the Goddess that would guide them this night.

He needed more than just courage. He needed all he could muster to be courageous and show his leadership skills without failing the Emerald Guard once more.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

They were a unit, so it was disappointing that Thrandil chose to pray on his own. But, so long as they prayed together, he supposed that they were in fact acting as a unit.

The guardsman closed his eyes and bowed his head. With his hands firmly on the shoulders of the others next to him, Draydis allowed his faith to reach out and embrace the others present. He recalled the feeling of the glorious green energy of the Mother and how it had coursed through his body on many occasions before; and he allowed that feeling to extend beyond his own body and into the others if he could.

After a few moments of silence, he prayed for the group. "Mother, we come to you united in a common purpose. The Hunter seems to have become dark and is now a threat to these lands and its people. With your protective eye, your guiding wisdom, and your loving embrace, we will be victorious in our mission. Mother, I ask you to watch over all of us and keep us safe. Should any one of us fall in battle, I ask you only to allow us to understand the purpose of the loss and accept it as part of the cycle of life. I am yours in faith, and serve you with all my heart."

He remained silent for another few moments should any of the others decide to offer a prayer of their own.

When they were finished, Draydis stood, inspected his arms and armor one last time, and then looked to the others. "You each have valuable assets...your senses, your intuition, your intelligence, and your faith. As a unit, we will need everybody to use these assets to the maximum of their ability. I know not our enemy, or even where they are found. As such, communication is critical to our success. If you spot a sign or clue, let the rest of us know. It might be the critical piece we need."

He then turned towards the woods and took a few steps. Draydis allowed his eyes to close as he took in all the sounds and smells of the nature around him. As many times before, he waited on the Mother to give a hint as to the direction to travel...
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Craghley rose slowly from his knees, rising with the other Leafs. He cast his glances between his new comrades, Lieutenant Thrandil, and Draydis - still feeling out of place, intimidated by this company, unsure of what to do next. His hand brushed the hilt of his sword before it found the metal flask, and he took a small swig.
What a good investment. Faether was right to point me in their direction for when I came down here.
The whiskey was almost sweet, with a taste that brought back memories of freshly blooming heather, the sturdy oakwood of the casks, and in its' very recesses, a homely taste of smoke. Craghley instantly relaxed, and stowed the precious container away next to the book.
Well, mayhap someone in this group can read that to me... though, maybe another time.
For now he scanned the night and tasted the wind, simply waiting on the others to finish their prayers.

Make 'em count, lads. You may need 'em.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

When Thran got up, it was clear to everyone why he was praying on his own. Oddly enough, he had finished his prayers with "Protect me by the powers of my beloved ones, oh Horned One." and surely, the Mother wouldn't have horns now would she?

He felt once beneath the shirt for the necklace he still wore around his neck and even though it didn't give him any hint of Elevie's whereabouts, Axira would be with him tonight, as well as the forces of his love for the Elven princess. Realising Dray hadn't mentioned anything about the necklace yet, since both of them had been given one when they started their first mission together, made him smile. His friend either didn't want to bother him, or just hadn't seen it yet. As for his thought of it giving him strength in hard times, he put it over his clothing, so all could see it and in the hopes that it would show Dray his loyalty to the Crown.

"A few last words, Guards. Fight with the same passion with which you love the persons dearest to you, for love is the most powerful weapon we have. Last, we will not fall tonight, for we are united. Unison makes us strong, after being divided due to the war. Unison will bring back the Kingdom and the splendor we once had. Now let's hunt some wolf!" the lieutenant said and raised his sword in the air.
Last edited by Thrandil on Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

The words of the others were certainly heard by the tattooed guardsman, but he remained motionless, as if petrified. His hair blew gently in the breeze, but Dray's body stood in defiance against the wind. His senses were completely focused on the entire world around him.

The Mother was here. He had felt Her presence when she approved of each of the Leafs becoming Guardsmen. She would guide them.

The commander attempted to pull the faith energy from each of the men gathered around him and channel it towards the world surrounding them. He knew that only with the Mother's guidance would they find the Hunter and his fallen wolves...

With each controlled breath, Dray attempted to draw in some of the ambient energy in the air, and with each exhale, he focused it on the search for the Hunter.

DMD Member since 2005
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

"A few last words, Guards. Fight with the same passion with which you love the persons dearest to you, for love is the most powerful weapon we have. Last, we will not fall tonight, for we are united. Unison makes us strong, after being divided due to the war. Unison will bring back the Kingdom and the splendor we once had. Now let's hunt some wolf!" the lieutenant said and raised his sword in the air.

That bold voice, that man so passionate, his cry piercing through Craghley's melancholy for a precious moment. Inspired by example, the Islayer quickly drew his own blade and whipped it into the air, shouting,
"Claymore! Claymore!"
Donovan walked to the still-smoking pyre and let the soot cover his blades, turning the surfaces matte black and cloaking the sheen of his sword and daggers. Bastard sword rested comfortably over his shoulder he walked back to his previous position - back to the frigid winds and facing the boundless night. He closed his eyes, waiting on but not hopeful for the orders soon to come, focusing on what he could feel against his skin and the little he was able to discern from the air.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

There was silence for long burns as they stood there straining with all their senses to find the way to travel. Then they heard it on the wind. It was a single horn sounding clear on the winds. For the past four hundred years its clarion call would stir the blood and call all those pure of heart and strong of body to come and join the hunt.

This horn was low and dark. Its notes were a twisted parody of the hunting call that urged them all to flee for they were the prey. Only a flicker passed before the call was answered by wolves with howls sharpened by hunger. Tonight, there would be blood.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

For the longest time, the wind whipped through the hair and against the body of Draydis. A storm was indeed brewing, but the Mother was still silent. The commander's faith was unwavering though. He knew the Mother was here with them all. He knew that She was simply waiting for the right time to let them know in what direction She wanted them to pursue their target...Her target.

And then it came.

A dark and evil horn sound on the wind. A chorus of wolves baying into the air. The sounds sent shivers through his body. It wasn't the sounds that made his body react as such though....it was the fact that Draydis knew the Mother had blessed them with the knowledge of the direction in which their hunt was located.

His words were quiet and low, as if he were not wanting to interfere with the sounds traveling along the currents of the Mother's breath. "And now we hunt." It was almost as if he whispered them out with a raspy voice. Any tone of friendliness that was once in his voice was now gone. The words were ones uttered by a dark killer. Draydis had again become the dark, professional hunter that Thrandil had seen in the woods when they had met the dying Emerik.

His first steps were slow and full of determination. Each step had purpose and was taken with full confidence. As each successive movement pushed him forward, Draydis began to slowly move faster, until his walk turned into a sudden and furious burst of speed.

"Come quickly! We must find our place of battle and prepare for our ambush!"

With brilliant speed and movement that made little sound, the commander sprinted towards the call of the wolves. Adrenaline fueled his body. The sprint would not persist for long, but he wanted to experience the feeling of every inch of his body being alive. He wanted his blood and the oxygen it carried to awaken every fiber of his being.

~Mother, for you we hunt. May I serve you with honor, faithfulness, and make you proud that you have blessed us all with Your presence.~

No looks were cast back to see if the others followed...he knew that they would. They were soldiers, and he knew that the Mother would allow them all to hear the call of the hunt. They were a unit of soldiers...of brothers. More than just a mere coat of arms held them firmly together. They would work together, live together, bleed together, and die together.

As one they would stand in opposition of the dark hunt and the twisted wolves that now followed the Hunter.

Their plan had been to act as two separate units. Thrandil had thought it best to find a point at which they could surround their enemy and strike from several different sides. The trick would be to find a place suitable for such a trap.

Tonight, the prey had full intention of becoming the hunter...

DMD Member since 2005
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: Craghley, Thrandil? You guys still a part of this thread?
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

OOC: sure

IC:
A shiver travelled Thran's spine as he heard the dark sound of a horn. One not blown for hunters in the classical sense of the word, but rather for predators. He would understand those that would be nervous for the rest of this night.

I know you don't like me for having prayed to the Horned One, Mother, but please let me see one more sunrise together with the woman I love... Bonded powers of the good aligned gods will make the world of those filthy creatures tremble tonight... So both of you, ally up with each other and make a beginning for us, your children, your followers he prayed inside as he glanced at Dray and started running towards the sound, his staff blade first in his hand.

"Bait, I want to be the bait" he muttered and asked the gods for all the speed and luck and stamina he could get.

Before long he raised his voice and shouted "FOR TAQUAR! FOR OUR KINDRED! MAY THE MOTHER AND PAN GUIDE MY EVERY MOVEMENT!"
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

OOC: Sorry, was waiting for a cue. Didn't want to hog the thread :P

The Adhield shot past a mildly confused Craghley Donovan. He watched them sprint for but a second, before attempting to match their pace. After a couple of minutes though, he found his fleetness somehwat lacking, and slowed down to a steady jog.
His sword he loosened in its' scabbard; his daggers kept secure and close to hand. This was all he had, to face a pack of wolves and some legendary 'Hunter'? He hoped that if the Mother showed him no favour tonight then lady luck would be more lenient. Although neither would likely have him prevail if their quarry caught him straggling behind his fellows.
"Lieutenant! Commander!"
He yelled, hoping they weren't too far away to hear.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: I am now declaring this thread to be impassable. It is my intention to post on Tuesday and Friday to keep the thread moving. If you are unable to post, drop me a PM with basic ideas of your actions and I'll work them in.

IC:

Following the horns led them north towards the center of Dort though the trail would surely not lead them that far. There was no trail on the ground to follow but the dark horn sounded out whenever their sense of direction failed them. It seemed closer each time but never close enough to grant them sight of their quarry.

After about a half mark of travel, Craghley started to feel the burn of the swift pace the adhiel were setting. As he called out to his officers, all realized just how quiet it was. Only the horns and now the voice of a highlander had broken the silence of the night.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray kept the charge steady and quick for half a mark. The ground quickly passed beneath his feet. Despite the fury of the charge, he felt like he was part of the wind...racing along, barely touching the ground. The mission was his only focus.

The distance between the advancing Guardsmen and the horns seemed to be drawing closer together, but the commander knew not if both the warriors and the Hunter were moving.

The silence of the night then suddenly hit Draydis. While they were speeding forward in hopes to set a trap, it seemed as if they had stumbled upon one themselves.

Silently and suddenly, he stopped dead in his tracks. In a blur, the bladed staff was plunged into the ground so it could be grabbed as a backup weapon to his bow in a moment's notice. The tattooed adhiel then pulled an arrow from his quiver and readied his bow. The bow tensed from the string being drawn back, and he was poised as a snake ready to strike. The others could clearly see that Dray, if nothing else, had realized that the enemy was upon them.

"Circle!" The word was issued as a hiss, low and quiet, but firm enough to tell those that did not know what was going on that they were possibly in trouble. Thran and Dray had once fought against the orcs in this formation. If the warriors fought as a unit, he knew their defense would be strong. He hoped that they could fight as he and his brother had. If one fell, or if one made a mistake, it would endanger the whole. As a unit they would have to fight.

No other words were spoken to give the others any indication of what was wrong. The commander's body language was enough. He stood as an oak at his place where he hoped the circle would form. His eyes scanned the area around them, looking for signs of trouble. His ears were tuned to the sounds of the night, hoping that the Hunter and his pack were still on the move. The next time the horn sounded, Draydis would know...

For now, though, the adhiel warrior stood...watching...hoping that the other warriors would guard one another's backs until they could be certain that they were not in fact within the jaws of a deadly trap.

As his eyes moved around the area, Draydis looked for places from where they could expect an attack. He looked for lines along which they could retreat, and places where they could move to gain a tactical advantage. The Hunter would bring wolves, and it was dark, so fighting in the open eliminated the advantage of the wolves to hide within the undergrowth. The open space also allowed the Guardsmen to better fight as a unit and not get separated. However, if Draydis was wrong in thinking they had stepped into a trap, splitting up and finding cover from which they could launch their own ambush would give them the ability to strike quickly and eliminate much of the enemy forces before the melee started.

Time would tell. The feeling of battle was in the air. There would be blood this night...there would be blood soon...
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

The occasion was ripe for a few choice oaths. Slowing down to a sustainable jog, Craghley kept heading for the sound of the horns.
"Some unit we are," he muttered. "One man blasted army am I, oh yes."
Treacherous wilds these places could be, so dark you might not spot the gnarled roots and ditches that would break a misplaced ankle until you were already in need of a walking stick. And that was the least of his worries now. The dark always brought out fears for what it could be hiding; but Craghley knew there were things out there.
Focus, ye daft bugger. Listen, observe, move. And be ready.
His hand rested on the bastard sword for a second, but hesitated.
Too big, too slow. Mightn't have time to swing it 'less I know where they are in advance.
Instead, he grabbed the handle of a wicked dirk, his own bloodthirsty tooth of steel. Not for the first time he checked to ensure that its' twin was securely sheathed upon his belt.
Jogging cautiously along, he focused on listening for the telltale signs around him and suspect shadows shifting around the moonlight, all the while praying that wherever that horn was sounding from, he would meet his unit there.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thran kept running and running. Only when he noticed the others dropping back, he stalled himself a bit. Slowing down and getting back with his unit. As his friend told them to get in a circle, Thran got close to Dray. "Feels like old times, doesn't it, brother?" he whispered to him.

"Stay in formation and nothing will break us up, not even if the gods came thundering down! And pray while you fight, and the gods might bless you!" he said and scanned the area the best he could for unusual sounds, odors or the sight of wolves or a hunter.

Pan, guide my body, heighten my agility. Make me fast. Let me dodge their blows and give them a whirlwind of blows. he prayed to the Horned god, and after he prayed to the Mother, Mother guide my hands, make my blows hit the evil that commands these creatures. Let my swords slash through the injust and protect the just. Mother be my guide...
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The troops moved quickly at the command to circle and soon they all stood shoulder to shoulder with their backs to each other. Draydis found himself with Thrandil on one side and Craghley on the other. Once the rustling of their own feet had died down, silence returned to the night. Eyes strained into the night seeking the slightest sign of danger.

Wait, there. Black fur against the black of the night. Even to adhiel eyes, the camoflauge was almost perfect. Directly out from the three of them was a wolf easily twice the size of a man. It just in range of a bow crouched down low ears twitching waiting for its prey to relax and move on. Looking to the left and right from that one, Craghley, Draydis and Thrandil could see one more to each side. If the wolves had circled as the adhiel did, there could be a dozen out there.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

The Adhiel lieutenant looked round and, squinting his eyes, he saw the wolves opposite them. "Dray, right in front, three of them. Bow range, seem to be waiting." Thran whispered in the dead silence to his friend and osaw his brothers staff standing upright in the ground.

"Kraalay", he said and thought why in the name of the gods a Guard would have such an unpronouncable name... he should get a nickname soon , "That dirk won't help you much against them. Draydis has swords. Sheathe your weapons and take his staff. Point it angled upwards and keep the pole end firm in the ground if they charge. That way you can take one in the chest before they have reached us." he said and put the end of his own staff firm in the ground behind him and kneeled down, so he could pull the bladed end up quickly and brace the staff in order to receive their charge well prepared.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Craghley's breathe was growing harsh by the time he reached the group. He hadn't expected to arrive so suddenly; crashing through the foliage, he saw by the moonlight the weapons of the guards jerk in his direction. Barely in time, he collapsed his knees and contorted in mid-dash, skidding (somewhat ungracefully) 'neath the shaft of a polearm aimed in his direction.
"Careful where ye point that thing," he remarked, clambering to his feet. "Ye might hurt someone wi' that."

"That dirk won't help you much against them. Draydis has swords. Sheathe your weapons and take his staff. Point it angled upwards and keep the pole end firm in the ground if they charge. That way you can take one in the chest before they have reached us."

Craghley nodded. "Aye, sir". Small blade now sheathed, the blackened bastard sword within his hand made a dark column against the starry sky, the proferred spear forming a twin, deadly shadow. He loosened and dropped his pack to add mobility, and jabbed the spear in to the earth so as to point outwards from the formation. The ground itself was a useful brace - he simply needed to track the spear's aim towards whatever came rushing in. Another thought occured to him while preparing for the assault.
Careful, lads. I'll need ye tae keep a wee margin 'way from me. This 'uns got a bit of a range to her," he said to his companions, indicating his weapon. "Watch me back, an' I'll try return ye the favour." Slight as he was by Islay standards, he hadn't developed a profficiency in their massive claymores, instead relying on a smaller, more precise weapon. Nonetheless, it was large enough to warrant use of both his hands when he could spare a second.

Was it his mind? What were those shadows fritting about them? He couldn't make out the quarry as well as the keen senses of his Adhiel allies allowed, but he came halfway. Far enough to tell that the movement for what it was.
He strengthened his grip upon hilt and shaft.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

The warriors circled. Within a few flickers, the guardsman's gut had proven to be right. They seemed to be surrounded. It wasn't the trap that Thrandil had hoped for, but they at least were able to stand in a defensive position.

"Aye, my brother, we have been here before indeed." His words were almost as silent as the breeze. "Ready yourself, Brother." A smile was on Dray's face, as he truly lived for the thrill of the battle. He enjoyed the test of his abilities and the opportunity to match the wits and capability of the Guard and the Mother against those that opposed them.

Again, Dray spoke, hoping to be only as loud as necessary for the adhiel around him to hear. "Stand as one, guardsmen. Keep your thoughts on our Mother, for she will surround us with her love and protection. Fight not for your life, but for those that we protect this evening. We stand for justice, truth, and goodness. If we fail, this enemy will overrun those who are helpless to protect themselves. For the weak. For the young. For the feeble. We stand as one tonight. We are the Guard."

Draydis slowly raised his bow and aimed at one of the beasts that surrounded them. He did not want to move so fast that the wolves would react to his movements.

~Mother, guide my arrow so those that stand with me can grow in their faith for you and so those that stand against us can be certain that their reign of terror has come to an end. I know You fight with us tonight, and I know that we stand against a terrible enemy. If we fail, I know that this Hunter and his wolves will wreak havoc on many innocents, and I know it is our purpose to stand in defiance of this evil. Guide us tonight. Be with all of us, even those who may question their faith. I will do my best to guide them all to fully embrace You. This my Mother, I promise to You.~

His thoughts focused only on the Mother and the calming peace that She gave him on so many other occasions. The aspiring paladin warrior focused his vision on his target and slowed his breath. Every thought turned to channeling his faith for his Mother into the blade of his arrow, and with a held breath, Draydis relaxed his fingers and allowed the arrow to speed away towards its target...

"FOR OUR MOTHER FIGHT!!!" His words roared forth from his throat as the arrow sang along its path. "HOLD THE CIRCLE!"

As fast as the guardsman could draw arrows and fire, he did so. He knew the enemy would close quickly upon their position, and he was happy to empty his quiver before the melee began...
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Whispered calls came back from the rest of circle reporting wolves on their side as well. Spears were passed around and braced while those with bows moved to slowly knock there arrows as Draydis did. They expected to have time to react and that the wolves would not know their movements as a danger. These wolves were hunters of men and they knew the ways of their prey.

The moment Draydis raised his bow and Thrandil and Craghley moved to set their spears, the wolves charged. Their howls were dark enough to chill the marrow in their bones for they bayed for blood. Still not the even the sight of hundreds of pounds of snarling flesh could break the cool calm of a master archer. His first two arrows sank deep in the lead wolf's flanks but the ravening beast hardly seemed to notice. The third one caromed off its skull leaving a bloody gash across its head. That gave the creature pause and in that moment the fourth arrow pierced its right eye and sank into its brain. It went down with a whimper only two body lengths from the circle. Looking for another target Draydis saw a wolf to either side leaping for Craghley and Thrandil.

Craghley barely saw the huge wolf coming towards him except for the white of its fangs, a bodiless maw rushing to tear his throat out. He gripped his sword hilt and staff tightly. The Emerald guard to his right got off a pair of arrows than sank into the wolf's side but it didn't even break stride before it leaped. Craghley swung his staff to point at the snarling teeth and felt the impact of flesh on wood. He heard the wolf snarl and then the crack of wood as the staff broke under the weight. Craghley barely scrambled to the side to avoid being pinned under the bulk of the wolf. Something struck his shoulder and pain lanced down his left arm. He smelled blood on the air and somehow felt sure it was not all his own. His fellow guardsman rushed forward and placed himself between the wolf and Craghley's wounded side warding the beast off to give Craghley a moment to recover.

Thrandil watched his beast leap also with feathered shafts in its side. Waiting for the right moment, he took a step to the side and twisted the staff to take the wolf in his already injured side. His staff stood firm and the wolf helplessly impaled himself. Yet there was nothing to stop the advance of the beast and it lashed out with teeth and claws to try and take Thrandil with him. A claw clipped the adhiel in the side but the blow scratched along Thrandil's armor. The beast feebly tried to rise back to its feet but there was little fight left in it.

From behind them, the three guardsmen could hear the snarls of wolves and the cries of adhiel warriors fighting for their lives and their Mother. Over it all came the call of the hunting horn. No longer was is it a far off siren's call. Now it sounded near and growing nearer swiftly.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

The Adhiel lieutenant turned his head as he heard his friends fighting behind him. Sweat was all over him, fear was brooding in his every limb, but couldn't get a hand over him yet. The rush of the moment pushed him on now.

He kicked the wolf hard and pulled the staff at the same time, hoping to pull it out. Letting go of the staff right afterwards, unsheathing his sword and trying to find a way to get in the front line of the fight. The hunt was on, and if they didn't have the chance to regroup and catch their breath quickly, the scouting party they were fighting would be met with an even greater danger. One that wasn't accounted for yet, but that was closing in fast.

The fight had to end, and it had to end soon. Even if it meant that Thran would have to sacrifice more than he had planned to.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

The fight moved faster than any amoutn of sparring could have prepared him for. The great beast leaped up at him from the darkness, almost too fast for Craghley to respond. He jabbed the blurring figure with the spear, but hadn't finished the backswing with his sword before the wolf bore down on him.
He roared at the pain; even with the haft of a spear in its' chest, the wolf took its' vengeance. Afore either had time to focus back on each other, though, another Guard had seen Craghley's dilemma and interposed. He checked the shadows for more pouncing beasts while moving back to his ally's side, testing his left arm with some controlled swings of the blade.
"Mae thanks. Keep an eye on that 'un, both o' mine hae' yer back."
All the while he sent hastily thrown glances towards the creature with his broken spear in its' body, the surrounding darkness, and nearby companions whom he could assist without breaking the line. If it came down to it, he'd resort to braining the beasties with his cooking pot.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

The wolves attacked as soon as the bow was brought to bear. It was not surprising to Draydis...though their reaction to the arrows was. It was like they were fighting the demon hounds of Taquar once again.

"Aim for the gut! Their fur is thin there!"

The commander hoped that the defensive circle would hold. He had trained many times in ranked formations, so the adhiel warrior was good at defending not only himself, but also his allies.

As the wolves drew closer, the time for missile weapons was coming to an end. However, he still had arrows, and they would be useful to at least injure the wolves before they closed completely...

The guardsman fired arrows with as much speed as he could muster. His target was the eyes, underbellies, and throats of the wolves. Hitting them on their sides and head were of no use at all, it seemed.

"MOTHER! Your children fight for You! We ask for Your blessing as we face this terrible enemy!"

His prayer was shouted out as the sound of the Hunter's horn echoed throughout the night air. Draydis hoped that his words would drown out the fear and dread created by the ominous horn. His words were loud and firm. It was clear that the adhiel had undying faith in the Mother, for there was no trace of fear in his voice. Draydis was certain that She would bless them this evening.

His furious deplyment of arrows continued until the quiver was empty or until he was forced to pull his blades instead. All the while that he fought, his eyes and ears were tuned to the circle...keeping an eye on the others so he could lend his aid where needed...

As the sound of the horn echoed through the night, Draydis did his best to ascertain the direction from which it was coming. He wanted to end the reign of the dark Hunter, and hoped that when the Hunter fell, the wolves would stop as well. It was only a theory, but he was wanting to give it a shot...
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Craghley

The adhiel warrior nodded to the achadhiel as he held the wolf at bay. The guardsman flicked out his sword to goad the wolf away while the wolf sidestepped and awaited the right moment to spring. What the wold had not counted on was the extended reach of Craghley's sword. Craghley lunged with his sword and the wolf drew back but not far enough. The blade sunk deep into its chest and in that moment of pain, the adhiel jumped forward and plunged his blade home as well. The great beast slid to the ground with a whimper. The adhiel turned back around to face the outside of the circle once more. "Glad to have you at my side." He said quickly as he scanned for more enemies.

Thrandil

Thanks to Draydis finding his marks so readily, Thrandil was freed to reinforce the other side of the circle. By the time he got there three wolves were already down but so were two of the guard. A quick look told him that they needed help but should survive the battle if they could be tended. Thrandil threw himself into the battle with wolves and his fellow guardsman knew to use him as the blade onto which they would drive their lupine enemy. Thrandil's sword found its mark again and again and another three wolves joined their fellows on the ground. Their spirit broken the rest of the wolves turned to rejoin their pack howling and whimpering as they did do.

Draydis

For Draydis the hard part was not finding a target but missing his fellows that fought with them. The few wolves still circling the fight were easy pickings for his arrows but soon they were dead or driven off and all that were left were the ones snarling and snapping at his fellow guardsman. even for one of Draydis's skill this required carefully aimed shots but slow as they were they were sure.

All

The first assault was over. Near a dozen wolf corpses lay steaming in the night air. Three of the guard had serious wounds. The rest a few deep scratches and some ripped armor. The horn sounded out once more dark and clear and nearby. They had a few burns respite, no more.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Surrounded by the lifeless wolves, Thran looked around to his comrades. Seeing how badly some of them were, he immediately issued his commands "Tend to the wounded! NOW! We won't have much time!" he bellowed and turned to see how his brother was doing, "Commander get here! Report and confer!".

He quickly scanned the area to see how they could use it to their advantage. Surely, they could make a circle of wolf bodies and let the staffs rest on them, so they didn't need any man to hold it, but certainly that wouldn't be enough.

The injured men had to be kept safe. Thran would go in more aggressive next time. His blood was boiling with an untamed rage, yet also with a passion he hadn't yet felt before. This battle was his, no matter how it ended. He had his fair share of wolf, a third of those that went down so far.

Another option was letting the injured take care of the staffs, this way, they could stay out of the fray, as long as the others were in between them and the wolves. The bodies could be used as cover, maybe even a surprise if they were lucky.

OOC: just a note for continuity, all things said NOT directed to Dray are in Human, and have been all the time, since I now see that Craghley doesn't speak Elven yet. My bad. Next time I will make it reflect in the post.
Last edited by Thrandil on Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Dort Archive”