Hunting the Hunter... Hafne, Chyril 22nd late ET

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Hunting the Hunter... Hafne, Chyril 22nd late ET

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

Draydis remained at the funeral pyre until the last of the flames died away. He had distanced himself from those that were in attendance at the funeral, but remained close enough so he could breathe in the smoke. Something had caught his attention in the air...something told him that the hunt needed to begin that evening.

As the last wisps of smoke trailed off into the sky, Draydis bid farewell to the deceased captain. "You are now in the hands of our Mother, my friend. Good journeys to you." Dray kneeled briefly and looked down into the dirt by his boot. He picked up a handful and rubbed it between his hands. As it sifted through his fingers, he held his hands close to his nose so he could draw in all the scents.

The hunt had begun, and the Wolf was on the trail. Draydis had hoped that Thrandil and the other guardsmen would be willing to hunt with him. It would indeed be a dangerous hunt, but it was one that he felt the Mother had desired him to undertake.

He looked around to see if there was any sign of his brother and their allies.

While waiting a bit longer, Draydis began to press dirt into his uniform and armor. Bits of leaves, branches, and twigs were placed as well, hoping to not only give him a bit of camoflauge, but mainly to mask his natural scent. The wolves he was to hunt would easily pick up his body's smell, so anything that would help to throw off their senses would be useful.

Draydis looked around one final time for the others. If need be, he would head out with only the Mother to watch over him. A smile crossed his face. Yes, to him, She was more than enough allies to see him through anything.
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Thrandil
Hunter, Lieutenant Emerald Guard

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil had seen Draydis at the pyre during the ceremony and his guts had told him that Dray was up to something. His brother had talked to the man in the wolfpelt. The hunt would start soon and there was no chance Dray was going in alone.

There they were now, nine Adhiel men. The Lieutenant marched in front of them, followed by two colons of four men and the Sergeant-at-arms marching along side the unit.

"Lieutenant Mael-Muir reporting for duty, SIR!" Thran shouted over the open area. "Didn't think I was letting you have all the fun, now did you?" he said as they closed in on their Commander.

"What are our orders, Commander?" he asked his friend when the troupe had come to a halt.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis smiled as his brother arrived. "I had decided to go on the hunt myself, as I do not want anybody else injured by this evil. However, it is good to see all of you. This hunt is going to be dangerous, so any that does not want to risk their life is welcome to stay behind. There will be no hard feelings."

He waited for each to give their response.

"We hunt the Hunter this night. The Hunter and its wolves are responsible for recent attacks in the area, and Emerik asked Thrandil and I to put an end to it."

Again, he looked at each of their faces.

"Now, before we head out, there is a matter of making all of you official members of the Emerald Guard. Any that is so interested, please step forward and kneel."

He looked at Thran. "Do you have the rings, Lieutenant?"

DMD Member since 2005
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

OOC: Sorry I didn't put this in earlier, I should have cut it down to the bare essentials :?

The dying wisps of smoke blew past Craghley Donovan. The light was failing, but it seemed to him the sobriety of the occasion was already so sombre that darkness had little impact to make it gloomier. In the stony air, Craghley had been softly humming Islay the Brave for Willows.
We'd not wanted this trouble. But we'll not be wanting when it comes to dealing with it now.
Captain Willows, eh? He'd been a figure, alright. They'd been saying he died saving others from this canine plague. His death wasn't just lamentable, it was infuriating. That he, and others, had to die thanks to this sudden violence that didn't even make any sense.
Craghley idly brushed his wolf pelt cloak. Once upon a time it was enough to burn the heather so you could see the pests sneaking up to your farm, and you only had to worry about the foxes and wolves getting at your flock.
He'd been so intent on traveling, on getting out of here that he had only given the situation fleeting, angry thoughts. But now, confronted with this Islayer's body on the first day he came to Hafne, his motives changed. There was something more important to do.
There was a shout that made him twirl about. A small man - wait, no, an Adhiel - with black hair was moving, with about nine others, to another Adhiel, one of considerable size for his race. They had a keen militaristic look about them - not the pomp and shine of soldiers that marched into battle in a formation, but people suited to more... subtle ways of waging war. The larger Adhiel in particular had just been covering himself in dirt and debris of the earth.
With an audible grunt, Craghley heaved his large pack onto his back and ensured it, and his weapons, were secure. An armed group, obviously taking action. People who had apparently been here paying their respects since the start of the funeral and were obviously affiliated with the brass of this place. Maybe even the Count. He could put two and two together - metaphorically; in a purely mathematical sense, you couldn't ask him to do much more than that - and he could see his chance.
Craghley made his way over to those Adhiel, now speaking to each other. Should he wait until they finished speaking? Would they just leave then? Would it be rude to wait? Would they even listen to him, an inexperienced boy only just out of the backwater village?
Tae hell with it, thought he.
Probably interrupting something, he bowed his head slightly and went down on one knee before the Adhiel.
"Pray hear me out," he said, hoping they could not just hear him but understand the brogue. "I ne'er met Willows, but after today, I think I know what kind o' man he was. I think I know, too, wha'hae to be done, and I likewise think I know wha' ye be doin' - and if it be the same thing, I pray, take me on. I know a little of how to fight, I kin' heal and know herb lore, I know how to survive o'er the moors and if none o'tha' interests ye, I kin' sing like a birdie. But there're more Cap'n Willows out there wha' don't have to end up like the poor soul what just left us. An' I need to help, if you'll hae me."
He awaited a response, worried what the jumble of words he'd just spewed forth might warrant.
Last edited by Craghley on Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis looked at the new arrival from head to toe as if sizing up the achadhiel for the task at hand. He carried a sturdy looking weapon, and seemed to be fit enough to wield it...possibly. A test of arms would quickly establish his proficiency with the weapon. However, he claimed to be a healer, which they probably would need...no...they definitely would need a healer.

~He wants to help others. That certainly fits within the character requirements of the Guard. Protect the weak. Defend the innocent. Stand against evil, injustice, and inequity in all forms. Seems like integrity is one of his traits. He might not be strong with a blade, but the Guard doesn't need sword arms...we need those that fight with heart. Prowess in battle can be learned; heart is something that one either has or does not have.~

The commander approached Craghley and kneeled down in front of him. He had yet to say a word to this new individual. Their eyes were so close that every line of color in Dray's irises could be easily seen. His pupils danced as they grew and shrunk in size while he studied the healer. His gaze seemed to be attempting to pierce through Craghley's eyes and into his soul.

The smell of raw earth filled Craghley's nostrils, and he could make out adhiel runes that were intermixed with the striped tattoos that seemed to cover every inch of the adhiel warriors body. A mixture of mud, leaves, twigs, and other unidentifiable vegetation and earth was pressed into his clothing and equipment such that only the smell of nature emitted from Dray's body.

Still, no words were exchanged as they sat in this position for several flickers.

Dray's eyes closed and his breathing began to become deep and slow. He slowly reached out with a single hand to Craghley's shoulder. The touch was not one of aggression, but mere contact. His head bent down, and his body went still. If Craghley meant any harm to Draydis, he was a sitting target, as it appeared as if he had gone into another world...

~My Mother. This achadhiel seeks to join our ranks, as do these others. Where the Avatar once stood in this role of determining the heart of those that sought to serve You with their arms and determination of heart, it now seems to rest upon me in this instance. Please guide my heart and mind as I assess whether they are loyal to You and whether they are of sufficient character to bear arms in furtherance of Your glory. The Guard has not the numbers that we once had, but I will firmly stand in the way of gaining numbers just for the sake of increasing the numbers of our ranks. Those that follow You and fight for the Guard have a duty to our people, to our lands, and most importantly, to You. In Your honor, glory, and name, I pray to you, my Mother. I am Yours.~

It suddenly hit Draydis. He had sought after the Mother to become Her dark paladin...Her assassin. He had thought mistakenly that it meant he had to become equally dark...evil almost in order to take on that role. That was his mistake. To become Her holy assassin, he did not have to become evil...he only had to embrace the burden of what that position would bring. He had to be comfortable with his duty within the cycle of life. He had to be willing to bring death upon anybody when the Mother told him to act. Draydis suddenly had realized that the cycle of life was not inherently evil, and therefore, if he was merely doing as the Mother and the cycle of life dictated, that he was also not inherently evil.

Perhaps it was not the title of holy assassin that Draydis truly sought. Perhaps instead he wanted to be Her True Warrior. No matter what season the Mother was in, he would remain true to Her directives...fighting to achieve whatever goal She wanted him to achieve. In the winter, he would be her dark assassin. In the spring, he would be the defender of the young and innocent. As the Mother changed through Her seasons, he would change as well.

A massive weight was lifted from the guardsman. The burden of changing everything about who he was no longer haunted him. Dray was free to be himself again. He understood now what it meant to be in Her service. It did not mean he had to change...only that he had to embrace his faith in such a way that he would never question Her demands upon him.

Suddenly, Dray snapped his head up and regained his feet with eerie speed and grace. He looked to all the others present, but rested his eyes finally on Thrandil.

"Lieutenant Mael-Muir! This achadhiel and these others seek to join our ranks. You have heard the plea of this achadhiel as I have, and you know the hearts of those that follow you. You are my brother in arms as well as in blood. We have fought many terrible battles and survived many horrors. As far as I know, we are the only two survivors of the Guard, so it is our duty to our Mother and our charge by the Royal Family of Taquar to rebuild the Guard to its former glory. I know neither you nor I will allow the Guard to become a unit of any others than the best of the best...a unit composed of only those that put their faith solely in the Mother and trust Her above anything else...a unit of those that fight to protect the weak, to right wrongs, to bring justice when it is needed, and to rid our lands of evil. I respect your opinion in this matter as my most trusted of friends, my dearest of blood relatives, and as THE one of this world that I would implicitly place in charge of my life. What say you? Are these recruits suitable for our ranks?"

His voice still contained the cold calmness that Thran had noticed when they met when they had encountered Emerik. The darkness that covered his persona and appearance before was no longer present, only the shadows of the approaching night danced across his face. He was now comfortable and relaxed, as if he had just then resigned himself to accepting everything. In a way that Thran had not noticed before, Draydis was happy...something that had not before been immediately perceivable. Perhaps there had been another change since Dray and Thran were with Emerik...

As he walked around, Draydis had a grace about his movements and a way of looking around at his environment and those that shared it with him that was akin to that of a wolf. Time had seemingly changed Dray into the name that Thrandil had first given him. Even now, when there was no threat, he was at the ready...prowling almost. Whatever had happened since Thran had last seen Dray had changed him significantly in some aspects...

But, unlike the feeling that Thran had at first, Draydis was quite obviously still capable of great compassion as he had always been. It was not his heart that had changed; it was something else...
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Craghley remained transfixed on his knee, waiting for the reply. In his haste, he'd blurted out what came first, trying to make it understandable with a not-so-successful attempt to emit the Islay inflections of speech. What a mess...
Then the tall Adhiel knelt down before him. In surprise, his eyes flickered up from the earth to meet the set that were now studying him from so close a distance. In awe, he took in those strange runes before blushing a little and returning his eyes to the earth.
Earth - that's the smell of that Adhiel. If ever there was a devotee to the Mother, this was him. A firm hand was laid on his shoulder.
For a long time, he felt he was being evaluated. But at the end, as the Adhiel rose, it seemed as though that warrior had been the one to pass some sort of test. There was something his demeanour that wasn't, perhaps, there before...

"Lieutenant Mael-Muir! This achadhiel and these others seek to join our ranks. You have heard the plea of this achadhiel as I have, and you know the hearts of those that follow you. You are my brother in arms as well as in blood. We have fought many terrible battles and survived many horrors. As far as I know, we are the only two survivors of the Guard, so it is our duty to our Mother and our charge by the Royal Family of Taquar to rebuild the Guard to its former glory. I know neither you nor I will allow the Guard to become a unit of any others than the best of the best...a unit composed of only those that put their faith solely in the Mother and trust Her above anything else...a unit of those that fight to protect the weak, to right wrongs, to bring justice when it is needed, and to rid our lands of evil. I respect your opinion in this matter as my most trusted of friends, my dearest of blood relatives, and as THE one of this world that I would implicitly place in charge of my life. What say you? Are these recruits suitable for our ranks?"

Taquar - could it be? What ties did they have to that place, and what was this Emerald Guard? All he knew now was that he wanted to help these people ever more.
He remained statue still, awaiting the opinion of the Lieutenant.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thran pulled a necklace from under his shirt, and dangling from it were four rings. All wooden and with the neat carving of a tree on it.

As Dray assessed the stranger the Adhiel lieutenant watched both of them intensely. Something told him that an Achadhiel would be good in the guard. To show that even if you're not a pure blooded Adhiel you can join the elite ranks of the Emerald Guard.

As he was being asked for his opinion by his brother, Thran saw a glimpse of amazement on the Achadhiel's face upon the mention of Taquar and the Emerald Guard.

"What is wrong, stranger? Have you never heard of us?" he asked rethorically. "Yes, we came here from the lands of Taquar. Commander d'Anorre, these five men and I might just be the sole Guard survivors of the Orc and Oneists attack on Taquar. The Emerald Guard... Once big, squashed protecting the innocent with their lives. I can't tell you much about it, since I was in Le Bois Noire when it all happened. That's where I met the men kneeling aside you. Able men... Men willing to fight to defend the lands belonging to us. They have shown their prowess in battle..." he continued and let a silence fall for a second, gazing into the Achadhiel's eyes.

"Yet I must say that you seem to be pure of heart. You were full of fire when you wanted to join us, but what is your reason to join us? Do you really want to be part of our elite men and women? Would you be able to be equal to all Adhiel and Achadhiel, men and women, Human and Dwarf? To us, everyone is equal, but can you live with that? Do you have the mental strength to stand your ground in battle when ordered to? Even when your friends alongside you might fall? If so," and he now looked at all of them one by one, "stay kneeled. If you think not, get up now. We will not think of you as traitors or weaklings. Everyone has his or her own compass in life."

"For those who do not wish to join ranks with the Emerald Guard, if you do want to be part of this merry band of justifying marauders for the night, stay here, otherwise you can leave. What are your answers, men?" he said, his arms crossed in front of his chest, taking a few steps back waiting to see if anyone does not wish to join the Emerald Guard.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Craghley thought long and hard, before he came up with an answer that seemed to make sense to himself.
"Tae be brief, these past few 'oors hae sprouted more surprises than a Mayfield's fillibeg. I left home tae travel, and journey to Taquar - home o' me deid mother. Then I saw Willows, an' my motives changed - how kin' I leave now, when that could be me' braw faether, or bonny sisters, on yon pyre? And now, by fate or coincidence, I meet you. An' yer larger than just this wolf problem. If'n wha' ye say be true 'bout guarding the innocent, and fighting on for yer comrades, then we have songs in oor homes 'bout you. They call ye heroes. Some o' those auld tunes say we'll ne'er see such deeds again. But now, I cannae be so sure."
Finally he managed to raise his head to look at Thrandil and Draydis. Words came much better out of his mouth when he let himself think there wasn't anyone listening.
I'll join ye, if'n ye'll hae me. I'd be honoured."

He wondered what a compass was, exactly.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

The commander listened to the words of his brother and the response by their newest recruit.

~Mother, please help me to understand this achadhiel. He speaks my language, but at the same time, he does not.~

Since nobody knew of the destruction of Taquar as Draydis did, he felt it was time to tell them all he knew about it.

"A terrible demoness called Blayvanna attacked Taquar first. She brought demon dogs and raised the dead to fight against us. Though she seemed incapable of being hurt, the Mother blessed my bow and proved to everybody that we could stand against the demoness so long as our faith remained true. But then the Oneists entered the forest and began to burn everything in their path. With this advance of the Oneists, the citizens fled from our capital city. Some of the Guard remained behind to defend the exodus...some went ahead to scout our path. The Avatar of the Mother sent me out to find a weapon capable of slaying the demoness that had attacked Taquar. While on that mission, we were attacked. I prayed to the Mother to ask her to destroy the woods and eliminate our enemies. She answered my prayers, as the entire world seemed to suddenly ignite. It was then that a creature appeared and helped me to escape the fury of the flames, and I arrived here." He looked at Thrandil. "You know more about the fate of the Guard, our people, and the Avatar from that point than I do."

Draydis looked off into the distance for a moment, as if seeking out answers...

"I do not know if any Guardsmen survived. I do not know if the Avatar even lives now."

He thought for a moment about telling the others about the seed of Taquar, Alantha Darkstar, and his duty to protect her, but thought it was better to not mention any of it yet. It did make him wonder where Alantha had gone off to...

She had so quickly captured his heart, his mind, and his soul...something that had never happened before. He suddenly felt sad without her presence there, as if something was missing from him.

"There is another here. After the hunt, we must find her. She is critical to the survival of Taquar."

There was something about his words that indicated that his decision to find her was not open for discussion, but that he would not speak about it further at this time.

He looked back to the recruits that were kneeling on the ground.

"If your heart would allow you to stand and fight against insurmountable odds only because you know that your faith in the Mother is a most formidable weapon, and that you would offer your life to Her if it meant that even one innocent life would be spared, then you are truly worthy to join the Emerald Guard."

He waited to see how each would react.

He smiled at the words of Craghley. ~Heroes? Not me. I have always just done my best to serve my people, my land, and my Mother. I only have acted as I knew best...it is how my father had always taught me to be. He was the true hero...~

A trace of sadness crossed the face of the commander for a moment...

Draydis then pulled his bow from his back. He let his hands trace along the wood as memories danced through his mind. He remembered the first time he had fired the weapon, and he remembered the day that his father had given him the bow to have as his own.

He then spoke while he continued to look at the weapon. "Usually, a blade is used when swearing in recruits to our ranks or for other formal ceremonies. However, this weapon,..." He held out his bow to indicate it was the weapon he was talking about, and he looked into each of their eyes. "...it was once wielded by a honorable warrior. He was not the warrior of the stories that charged into battle wearing plate armor, who would fight against even the mightiest of dragons. No. He was a simple man. He cherished family. He knew what it meant to fight with heart...with honor. He may not have been a leader, but he certainly inspired many to perform great deeds." The look of sadness grew for a moment, to the point where it looked as if Dray's eyes might unleash the tears that he was fighting hard to keep back. "He died no further from me than you are now. He died protecting what he loved. So for that reason, I feel it appropriate to use his weapon now."

The adhiel closed his eyes for a moment so he could get his emotions in check. When they opened again, he had regained his composure and the icy blue of his eyes was cold and determined once again.

With the bow in hand, Draydis touched one end of it gently to the shoulder of each one that remained kneeling. As he touched each one, he let his eyes close so he could focus on the Mother. He hoped that his father's bow would help be a conduit of the faith energy so he could best read their hearts and minds.

~Mother, please allow me to see into the hearts of these recruits. I need to know that they truly follow You...that while they may be common born that they are of noble intent. I need to know that they will remain true to the Guard, to our people, and to You. If they are not of sufficient caliber to meet Your standards, please let me know.~

It took some time for him to go through each of the four kneeling on the ground...

OOC: The ceremony is not yet complete...Dray has more to say, but I need a moderator to join us now to give the Mother's reponse...if any. Thran and Craghley, feel free to post your thoughts and responses to what's been done so far...
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

OOC: if it helps to keep it rolling a bit, why not? Warning: a rather mild instance of swearing below. Wouldn't be a true Islayer without some now, though, would he?

Craghley was, to be frank, a little overwhelmed.
Demons, 'Onists', the Avatar, an exodus of a people and their forest realm consumed by flames. What can you say to somebody who obviously has so much grief in their history? Craghley fixed his stare upon the earth again, abashed to see the tender emotions that flashed over Draydis' features. He couldn't relate well wnough; he had lost his mother, true, but that was when he was too young to truly understand - and this man, and his companion, has lost so much more than that.
"It's a sair fecht. But whit's fur ye'll no go by ye," his father Derwent would say. "Life is tough. But you'll get what's due to you".
But even he knew this wasn't always the case - you can't let the bastards get away with anything, or else somebody suffers. That's why Derwent taught him the art of the sword, but also fostered his talent for healing. Most importantly of all, though, he had instilled that sense of Islay honour, fairness, hospitality and unfettered spirit that had repeatedly been at risk at the hands of prejudices at home. He empathised a little with the Guard - outcasts, alone, much like he had been. Except he had merely been the only Achadhiel in that little Donovan hamlet, and his family was back there for whenever he wished to return; these might be the only of their kind left in Tazlure.
Now a deep sense of dread that had been stealing over him became tangible; Taquar, a land so favoured by the Mother, razed? His father had spoken of Taquar with fondness; what sort of people would burn paths through such a place? What sort of demons could stand against the will of a Goddess? Craghley had grown up with a great dependence and affiliation with the tamed country and desolate wilderness; it was more than sacred, it was part of him and all those who had depended on it back in the village. Apparently, there was a great deal to learn about people.
Time for that later, thought he. There're matters as need attention now.
Would he lay down his life for another, an innocent? He'd never had to make that choice before, but he had never deemed his own existence any worthier than other peoples' just because it was his own. For some, that made all the difference, but he had never been able to understand that concept - it sounded so... hypocritical. Did he fear returning to the Mother? Well, he'd have to do it some day. It was a coin he could only spend once; the terms Draydis had listed were a fine way to use it.
He found himself contemplating what the Adhiel had said and forgetting that he was awaiting for Draydis or Thrandil to speak...
Last edited by Craghley on Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thran listened carefully to what both men had to say and kept his emotions in check when needed. After a silence of only a few flickers, he started talking.

"Sir, whatever your name may be, we are in no way heroes. We only do what is just. The stories and songs... they are just a way to remember what the brave men who have died for us have done. As for what I have seen of Taquar... well... Apart from my first mission, I was only detailed to search for the kidnapped princess Elevie and protect her with my life. This made Draydis and I split up at a time most inconvenient and I had to spent quite some time with pirates. So I missed a lot... better say, everything, until the Orc attacks started and the Exodus begun."

He paused for a brief moment and continued...

"At that time, Balthasar of King's Court was supposed to be our ally, and thus I had been sent into Le Bois Noire to find his men and deliver the message of Taquar falling. However, in the woods we soon encountered those who had wanted to seek refuge in King's Court... they were taken prisoner by Oneists. We freed them. Soon we found out that they were setting fire to Le Bois Noire at the edge with King's Court. This meant that Taquar would burn in due time, but when was impossible for us to know. From then on, I have taken it upon me to follow Oneists wherever I could and in the mean time trying to find either Draydis or Elevie. One group of Oneists brought me to Dort and I heard that they had an Emerald Guard on the isle, fitting our Commanders description. I say it is our duty to help the people of these lands and then find those we need in order to rebuild Taquar to it's former glory and give the throne to the heir of heiress who suits it best..."

He pulled his sword from it's scabbard and lifted it high. "UNITED WE STAND!"
Last edited by Thrandil on Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: Sorry for the wait. Here's the reply from the Mother you wanted.

Draydis felt his father's bow grow warm under his hand as he examined the kneeling men before him. That feeling grew as he touched it to the shoulder of the first recruit. The string of the bow began to sing, a sweet melancholy note that bought to mind the beauty of a setting sun slipping into night. The recruits eyes widened and he smiled wide. He had been found worthy.

The bow again sung its sweet song for the second recruit and he let out the breath he was holding and smiled in relief. There was silence for a long moment as the bow touched the third and then the bow sang once more. A single tear fell down the adhiel's face. "Thank you, Mother." He whispered softly.

Then he came to Craghley. If he thought Draydis had been judging him before, it was nothing compared to the touch of the bow. His soul was laid bare before the Mother. Every petty act of jealousy, every moment of intimacy or kindness, every thought he'd thought but knew better than to say. All of that the Mother saw and weighed carefully. There was a long flicker of silence and then the bow sang.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

~Thank you Mother. I knew You were here with us.~

Dray looked over at Thrandil after the bow sang for its final time when it touched Craghley. He gave his brother a smile. He didn't need to make a comment about how the Mother had taken a part in their ceremony...how She had heard his prayers for Her judgment on the recruits. Draydis knew that Thran would be able to make his own conclusions. Later, though, Dray would begin to teach his brother and the others about the benefits of having faith.

He looked to each of the recruits then.

"You have been judged by the Mother. She has accepted you for who you are. Whatever you have done before now, She has accepted. I know not your pasts, just like you know not mine. What matters is how you act from this point forward. I am happy to teach you all I know of the Mother. I will also help to instruct all of you learn the combat techniques for the Guard and the weapons we use. Thran is highly skilled in the art of diplomacy and the finer aspects of subtle tactics. Between us, we will impart all we know to you. All we ask is that you in turn impart your specialized knowledge on the rest of us, for together, we shall become strong."

He looked to Thran to see if he wanted to add anything at this point.

"Thran and I have discussed how the Guard will be rebuilt. For all we know, we constitute the entire membership of our Guard. In time, we shall become strong again. But it will take each of us following a code of honor and ethics second to no other. It will take us working together to accomplish our goals. Most importantly, it will take our unwavering faith in the Mother, as She is the ONE who allows us to find success against even impossible odds."

Draydis then bowed his head and prayed aloud.

"Mother. Thank you for being here with us during this time. We are but a shadow of the force that the Guard was at one time, but our strength is not measured by the size of our unit but rather by the desires of our hearts. Together we shall serve You with the best of our abilities and will strive to live up to our ideals for Your honor and glory. I ask you to give us each the wisdom and ability to listen to You so we may learn better how to serve You. Mother, thank you. It is for You that I live. I am in Your service."

He puts his bow across his back once again and looks at Thran.

"Lieutenant, do you have the rings?"

He looked back at each recruit.

"Please stand now and accept the ring of the Emerald Guard. I welcome you all and give you my word that I will always do my best to defend you and your honor."
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thran smiled as he saw and heard what was happening. He was proud of the men he had rescued. He was proud to be an Emerald Guard. By Gods, he was proud of Taquar, even though it had been razed.

He untied the knot of the necklace and took the four rings in his left hand. Standing in front of the first soldier, he said "May the Mother guard our lives as we will those of the men and women we defend. May you become a Guard in her ways and become one with nature and the cycle of life." Then he gave him the ring. He repeated this for the next two.

As he stood in front of Craghley, he repeated the same, adding "Teach us about healing as much as you can, and great things might come on your way, Guardsman." and gave him the ring.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

The bow touched the recruits one by one, emitting a song and leaving the judged smiling. And as it came to the Achadhiel, his growing anxiety over what the weapon was doing came to an end.
He felt like an orange, peeled, pulled apart and examined by every string of pith and piece of zest be it good and sweet or bruised and foul. For a long, long time he was bared under that intangible, weighing presence. Then he was clothed again, on the earth, with the song ringing in his dazzled ears.
He felt as though - no, he had just passed a test, one which had taken his nineteen summers into account. Could he have really been touched by the Mother? Would she do such a thing for a wee little Islay boy? If so, these Emerald Guard had a lot more to them than he had previously thought.
Thrandil now stood before him, and interrupted his reverie.
As he stood in front of Craghley, he repeated the same, adding "Teach us about healing as much as you can, and great things might come on your way, Guardsman." and gave him the ring.

Craghley accepted the ring with a slightly flushed face, murmuring his sheepish thanks. "Little enough I can teach, but it be all yours fer the asking."
Craghley fixed the gift firmly upon his ring finger. Still, he couldn't help but smile.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis was pleased that their numbers were growing, and it had all been with the Mother's blessing.

"The Mother is with us here at this moment. We are Her children. We fight to defend not only those of this world, but also Her and Her honor. When you interact with those of Tazlure, always remember that you truly represent the Mother. Make Her proud."

His smile then faded.

"I hate to cut our ceremony short, but tonight we hunt. There is one called the Hunter. It is not something entirely of this world. Where the Hunter once roamed through the woods offering them its protection, it now roams on a path of destruction, leaving death and mayhem in its wake. The funeral today was one such victim...a honorable man."

Draydis remembered how Captain Willows had stumbled upon the clearing where Alantha Darkstar and he were praying to the Mother. He had been terribly hurt, and only with the aid of the two adhiel had Willows made it back to the camp at all.

"Willows was attacked by wolves. Though I did not know entirely what that meant when I had first encountered him, I know now that the Hunter and his pack were responsible."

Draydis studied each of the men carefully...assessing their equipment, armor, and weaponry.

"I wish I had the arsenal of the Guard to offer you, but I do not. I have extra weapons I am happy to share, but that is the best I can do. We must rely on our faith, and our intelligence to survive this hunt."

He indicated the earth and vegetation that covered his own body.

"There is purpose to the manner in which I am outfitted tonight. The scent of your bodies is easily detected by the wolves and possibly even the Hunter. Cover everything you carry with dirt, leaves, grasses, branches, and whatever else you can find. You want to be able to blend into our environment as much as possible. One of the best tactics used by the Guard is to strike at our enemies from multiple locations from surprise. If they do not detect our presence, then surprise shall be ours. I will help everybody get dirty as you may need it."

He then waited for everybody to cover themselves with earthen materials, helping as necessary. While they worked, he continued...

"Wolves are one of the most cunning and intelligent animals you will encounter in the woods. They hunt as a pack, which means the wolves you see are often not the ones that will attack you. Be wary if you spot one, for there are likely many more lurking in the shadows."

He helped one of the new Guardsmen apply mud to the armor covering his back...

"The Mother has blessed us with many senses...though you may not be able to see, allow your ears and noses to pick up what nature tells us. You will be surprised what you can truly perceive when you stop relying on your eyes."

He looked over at Thran to see if the Lieutenant had more to offer. Dray knew that they would need to divide into units. Thran was much more familiar with the men than Dray was, so he would leave that duty up to Thrandil. "Lieutenant. I do have some extra weapons stored in my tent. I will go retrieve them. You have the command until I return." He gave a bow to his brother and then ran for his tent...

DMD Member since 2005
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

"Daydis has thought you a few very good tricks not to be smelled or seen. However, they are wolves... they don't only rely on sight and smell... Mind their ears, men. Walk carefully. Try to avoid spaces covered with a lot of leaves and twigs. Don't walk by putting your heel down first... Let your foot roll as it touches the ground. Front to back. Try it before we leave, if you want." he said.

As he fixed his own camouflage and arranged his weapons, he took a good look at the men. He knew Dray was the better combatant, but they needed him for surprise. They needed all the surprise they could get on this one.

Pointing at the four experienced guardsmen, he said "Leafs, I detail you under the command of Commander d'Anorre for this assignment. Sergeant, you help the new people with their camouflage and see if you can evaluate his fighting stances. You're with me, as well as our new colleagues."

As Draydis had left, he takes a good look at his men and looks proud at them. "I'm happy to have you at my side this night. It's time to hunt game. If you have any questions, better ask now before we leave." he said and double checks his gear.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Craghley picked up earth and started it rubbing it over himself, cringing a little at mucking up his tartan and pelt. Then Draydis came to him, pointing out some wet earth would stick better, and helping him apply bits of foliage.
He payed close attention as Thrandil imparted his knowledge of stealth, and tried it in his heavy boots. The dull thud of his footsteps was quieter, but not by much. Then he tried, when the balls of his feet landed on the ground, to roll them down the outside edges up to the heel. It was taxing on the muscles on the inside of his legs, but a noticeable improvement.
Thrandis interrupted this exercise, speaking to the group. Did he have any questions for the Lieutenant? No, none he could think of at the moment. None that would be of import to the mission ahead. Craghley cast another glance at Commander - d'Annorre, was it? By the Mother, he didn't even really know their names.
The Achadhiel checked his belt and knives, then re-arranged his pack, putting the woolen blanket in between various objects so as not to make them clatter against each other as he moved. Finishing, he hoisted it upon his back, straight of posture and (hopefully) ready to depart.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

A short while later, Dray came walking back carrying a load of weapons. Beside him walked a human boy of almost the same height, but many years younger. The boy carried a few more of the heavier weapons. When they made it to the Guardsmen, Draydis and the boy set the weapons on the ground. "Please stay for a few moments just in case we have things that need to be returned to my tent."

He looked at the other Guardsmen. "These are weapons that I have taken from defeated enemies, found during my journeys, or ones that I received when I first began my service with the Guard."

The weapons were on the ground and available for any to take as they wished. Six small knives were available. Three of them were in scabbards that were all attached to a single belt. Three of them had no scabbards. There was a long sword complete with a scabbard. Its hilt was trimmed with green, as was the scabbard. The new recruits did not know it, but this was one of the weapons given by the Emerald Guard when Draydis had first joined. A long bow was present along with a quiver of arrows. It looked as if it had never been used. It was another weapon that Dray had received when he first entered the Guard, but he had put it in his weapons locker since he preferred to use his father's bow. Finally, a seven foot long whip, an axe, a dagger, and a broad sword were also on the pile.

"These weapons represent the armory of the Emerald Guard. Take what you wish. If there is a weapon here that you would like to learn how to use, take it with you, and I will do my best to instruct you whenever I can."

After noticing that Craghley was the only one not carrying a body, Draydis picked up the long bow and a quiver of razor sharp war arrows. He walked over and handed them to Craghley. "The bow is a critical weapon to our unit. We often strike from a distance, and then disappear into the woods once again...only for another unit to hit from a different position. It is a method used to confuse, wear out, and eliminate our opponents, hopefully without ever engaging in melee fighting. I will train you and the others with the bow, so do not worry if you do not know how to use it."

There was one weapon that the boy had brought with him that Dray still held in his hands. It was like a quarter staff, but it had a wicked looking blade on one end. The weapon looked like it had seen much use, but it was well maintained. This was one of the most deadly weapons of the Guard. Unfortunately, only two existed in their unit...for now. He looked at the weapon and remembered the battles against the orcs when this very weapon had severed heads and limbs of many enemies.

His bow was slung across his back, and the pair of short swords that hung from his waist was complimented by the pirate axe that a pirate captain had given him.

Draydis waited for the others to take whatever weapons they wanted. Once they were finished he went back over to the boy. "If any of you have things that you do not want to bear with you on the hunt, leave them here, and they will be waiting in my tent upon our return. We need to be able to travel light, but also be ably to best defend ourselves."

Dray looked to each of them to make sure they were then ready to head out. A few coins were given to the boy along with instructions as to where to leave all the things.

"Unless anybody has questions, let's divide into ranks and head out." He stood and waited for the others to make their moves. Dray had no idea what unit he would be with, but figured that Thran would take care of those details...
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Craghley accepted the bow and quiver as though he weren't sure they would speak to him or burst into flames.
The little farming village had very little use for bows, for there was little enough game to hunt, and smaller need to hunt them, and for warfare they preferred the use of the massive claymores. He'd not handled a bow in his life before. He was surprised by the shape - it was much more like a strange-looking staff than the curved appearance he had associated with them. But this one was unstringed; maybe the pressure of the bowstring was what curved them into such a shape. But he knew as much about stringing the weapon as speaking Dwarfish.
As for the other weapons, he was happy as he was. Wickedly sharp bastard sword for when he had room, and nasty little daggers for up close. Adapting to the use of ranged weaponry, stealth and speed would present a new problem to overcome.

"Aye, I'll learn tae stick tae the shadows, but I'll gi' any sod wha' comes near me sich a laldie!"

His pack contained only the bare essentials, and he'd become relatively used to covering long distances at a time with it on his back without complaint - well, too much - so he saw everything within it as integral for the hunt. Now he just fixed the quiver to his right hip and fastened the bow over his back, and awaited further directions.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Looking at the bunch of Guardsmen, he turned to Dray when he had finished handing out weapons. "You take the Leafs, four in total, and I'll take the three new guys and the sergeant. Since mine have a lot more trouble staying quiet, you better be. We'll need you to get us out of trouble. You're the wolf, the hunter, Draydis. I will be the bait. You got the more experienced archers too." he said, and put a hand on his brothers shoulder. "Ready to move out? You better be." he continued.

Turning back to the men, he bellowed "LISTEN UP! Leafs, you go with the Commander as I said, and listen to the man. In most ways he's better than I am. Elen, Galil and Gardir, you are with me. Sergeant, stick with me if you would.".

He then looked at the Dortenese Achadhiel. "Look, the Mother has shown us you are fit for the guard, but unless you are going to tell your name to us, I'm gonna call you Fifi, because if I don't have any name to call you by, I can't give you any advise, suggestions or orders. What's it gonna be, Fifi or a real name?" he said and looked at Craghley.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Craghley gave the Lieutenant a bashful look before lowering his gaze, unsure as to whether Thrandil saw that accident of his that oversaw him even supplying his name as a sign of rudeness. Maybe not the best start to the Guard.
"My birth name be Craghley Donovan, m'Laird," he said, pronouncing it as 'Craeh-leey', with a slight roll on the 'r'. "Though whatever ye wish to call me be up to ye, Sir. I'll accept the orders as readily as the next man."
There was one more thing that had settled on his mind concerning the group, to whom he spoke to now.
"If any here be with sympathies or alliance towards the Sheridan clan, I would like to set aside the auld grudges as we are now bonded in kinship, of a sort. My cup is yours, if ye but want for it," said Craghley, giving an old proverb for friendship while staring meekly at the dirt. After a second, resolve returned and he looked up to face Thrandil in the eye and speak again.
"That aside, I am ready to move on yer command, m'Laird,"
What else was there? Nothing - he was woefully under-trained for this task, with so may unanswered questions in his head that the answers for one would be a mystery in themselves, or three. So the Achadhiel just went for his most straight and rigid posture to show that now was as good a time as any to move out, for him.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis watched as the boy walked off with the remaining weapons and equipment that none claimed. It would be waiting them when they returned, and hopefully, there would be more to add to their armory.

He looked at Craghley and did not remember if he had even introduced himself. "Good to meet you Craghley. Though I am the Commander of the Guard, I am just Dray." He did his best to pronounce the other's name accurately...though it would take time to master.

"Before we head out, I need us all to come together in a circle." He then kneeled on the ground and indicated for the others to do the same. "I would like us all to take a moment to invite our Mother to come along with us on this hunt."

Draydis waited until the others were kneeling, and then he placed his hands with one of the shoulder of each man to his side...

DMD Member since 2005
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

As Draydis introduced himself, Craghley offered him a respectful nod. He did well enough to get his name right - there were minor inflections that came naturally with the Islayer accent, but none outside seemed to pick up on. No doubt he himself was pronouncing everybody else's name with small mistakes, as well. That was easy when half the people he'd spoken to in Hafne couldn't understand his every second word for the lilt.
As they knelt, Craghley bowed his head again, this time in respect for the deity of his religion - the Mother. He watched as Dray placed his hands upon the shoulders of those by him, and followed suit.

There hadn't been much room for a sophisticated sect at home. Sure, they had the usual (and some unusual) festivals and holidays, but there wasn't a priest or minister. The general mindset was that if you needed somebody to tell you about the Mother when you lived so close to Her, isolated in Her bosom and surviving directly off Her gifts, then there wasn't enough in your head to fill a tumbler. There was more to Her than the fertile earth and the beasts that covered it's surface. These things changed from place to place, but the cycle did not. But that cycle, the competition that kept the beasts in balance against each other, was a delicate thing at best, especially where people were concerned.

Pray guide me, Mother. Grant us the ability to redress the balance - if this continues, the people may grow in fear and try to destroy the wolves by droves. Something has tipped the scales, and there has only been unnecessary damage because of this. There may be a scar, but let us heal the wound.

There was a side to Her he had never seen before. Once he would have snorted at the idea of praying to the mountains and birds. Now, She had proven that She listened, and his thoughts might not just sound within his own head - though to presume such a thing might be dangerously prideful.

I have an obligation to my people, and now especially to You. I only hope to do Your will as I see it.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The rest of the Leafs knelt as Draydis instructed and waited for him to begin his ritual. As Dray places his hands on the shoulders of the men next to him, they too clasped the shoulders of the men to either side. Craghley found two slender but firm hands rest on his shoulders.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Dort Archive”