Bearer of Bad Tidings - Tristam, Chryril 23, MT

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Sevti
Retired staff

Bearer of Bad Tidings - Tristam, Chryril 23, MT

Post by Sevti »

Tristam's familiar face earned him a warm smile from every one of the Lillies that he passed as he crossed the grounds to the house, though none stopped in their studies to speak with him. Whether it was something in his face or their own attention to the importance of study would have been impossible to say, but he was able to enter the house in little more than a burn since he'd left Elizabette and Allegra behind.

Inside the house was a different matter. Immediately upon sighting him, Madam Lucetti - one of the older women of the house who's joy it was to teach her charges the intricacies of conversation - approached him. Her dark hair, slowly turning to silver, was swept up into a classic curl upon her head, every hair remaining in perfect place while the long skirts of her pale blue dress swished delightfully over the floor. She reached for him with pump hands held outward, the smile on her lips reaching her gray eyes. "Master Tormson, what a pleasure," she greeted him graciously. "May I guess that you are here to speak with our Lady and her guest?"
"First let's just unzip your religion down" - [i]Crazy[/i], Tori Amos
Tickle-fight champion.
[i]Avatar is At the Edge of the World by Electra[/i]
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Tristam took her hands in his own and kissed her cheek though with less than his usual warmth. "You guess correctly." He said simply. "And the news I have to share is grim indeed. Take me to her." Tristam tapped his foot impatiently. His composure was slipping with each flicker he had to keep this news inside.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Darjan Cain
Criminal at large

Post by Darjan Cain »

Darjan observed the interchange from the doors he had just entered. Tristam was one of the two, but naturally the woman remained unknown to Darjan. No doubt her name would find a place in his memory at some point in the near future. Unwilling to interrupt the scene that was going on, he remained silent, and where he was - after all it was only polite. He wondered why Tristam was here, but really it could be for any number of reasons. Darjan knew he had interests with the Lillies - after all, that was why Darjan was here. Perhaps he had changed his mind and wished to aprise Rasine of Darjan's impending arrival himself, or perhaps he was here for the comforts of one of the companions. Or perhaps it was something completely different. Darjan's interests were piqued, but not so far as to make him want to eavesdrop - it was early in their partnership, and trust was key. Darjan might have few morals, but he did have sense and a keen understanding of the concept of trust. So, motivated by that understanding, he stayed silent and still as he waited for the next developments.
2nd PC for Corbin Dillon

Avatar by Sedone Thongvilay at [url=http://www.epilogue.net/cgi/database/art/list.pl?gallery=2145]Epilogue[/url]
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

Madam Lucetti nodded succinctly. Never let it be said that this woman would keep any guest - particularly a guest with stature such as Master Tormson's - waiting when he was so obviously in a hurry. "Gladly, Master Tormson. She is upstairs visiting with Rasine, I believe."

She took one step forward toward the great stairs when Darjan's arrival caught her attention. "Welcome, sir, to the Order of the Lillies," she greeted him with a small curtsy. Her eyes scanned the room but none of the other ladies of the house seemed in attendance. "It seems as though I am the only one here at the moment to assist you. So many of our ladies are out enjoying the warmth of the day," she explained with a smile. "I apologize that my attention must by torn between two worthies because of this. I must ask your forgiveness for the necessity to ask you to wait a burn for my full attention. I must first see this gentleman upstairs and then I will be at your full disposal."

One plump hand floated from her body toward a cluster of comfortably stuffed chairs to the right of the entrance. "If you'll take a seat, I shall be back momentarily." She waited for his assent before leading Tristam to his destination.
Tickle-fight champion.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Tristam turned his head and started a bit when he realized it was Darjan. That conversation in the Flying Dortman seemed a lifetime ago now. His first impulse was to have him sent away. The last thing he needed was variables he couldn't control. Yet, if this Darjan could be trusted as Tristam had decided to trust him, the Lady and he could use him protecting this place.

"Madam Lucetti, this man is here on my invitation to see Rasine." Tristam informed her. "I think he can help the Lillies with her Hart condition." Tristam smirked. "You might as well conduct us both upstairs."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Darjan Cain
Criminal at large

Post by Darjan Cain »

Darjan waited silently, his dark eyes meeting and holding the gaze of Madam Lucetti as she offered her greetings and told him to wait. He had no intentions of pressing the issue, for really he could see no reason to do that. He was not in a hurry. This place was not as bad as he had thought it might be. A high-class brothel, of course, but the surroundings were finer than he had thought they would be. If he was to be working with the Lillies it made sense to investigate where they operated from and what the atmosphere was like. Yet he made no move when he was directed to take a seat, disinclined to comply immediately and submissively with the woman's order, and by the time that he might have considered moving casually to take his seat Tristam had spoke up.

Darjan nodded impassively as Tristam indicated that he too should come. He noted the pun that the merchant made, and allowed a slight crinkling of his lips to indicate a smile at it as he walked carefully and precisely towards the man and Lucetti.

"I'm obliged, Master Tormson." Darjan said as he reached him. He thought about questioning him as to why he was here, and whether there was any further news about Hart, but he supposed that was why the man was here, and that the information would be forthcoming in the present interview, and thus he chose to say nothing.
2nd PC for Corbin Dillon

Avatar by Sedone Thongvilay at [url=http://www.epilogue.net/cgi/database/art/list.pl?gallery=2145]Epilogue[/url]
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"It is we who are obliged to you for taking on this task." Tristam replied a little distractedly. "In fact, the number of places you could be useful has increased in just the past few marks." Tristam was hesitant to mention the burning of the Constanza manor openly. Either Darjan had heard of the misfortune and chose to come anyway, or he had not heard and might be scared off at the news. Either way, better for him to make the first mention of things.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Darjan Cain
Criminal at large

Post by Darjan Cain »

OOC: I've made a few assumptions in the post, if there are too many then just tell me.

"Indeed?" Darjan enquired as Tristam suggested that there was an increase in the number of places that he might be useful. He knew that Tristam was with Constanza, and he was also aware that there had been a fire at the Constanza residence this evening. Word of such things spread quickly, especially amongst the crowds Darjan moved in. There had been a mixture of interest and enjoyment at the damage - after all, it was a wealthy House and some of the commoners took delight in the discomfort of their betters. This attitude had swayed Darjan towards greater support for the House than he might otherwise have had. He had heard rumours that some people had gone to see if they could comb through the damaged building for loot. He hoped they were caught and punished properly.

"I do look forward to the chance to increase my use. Might I assume that the conflagration last night is the prelude to these places?" He enquired dryly.
2nd PC for Corbin Dillon

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"You assume correctly." Tristam agreed grimly. "The potential risks and rewards that we talked about have both increased considerably. The Marchland force here and more eyes and ears in the city have become immediate priorities. I have some ideas on the latter but with luck you can have the former in hand soon."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Darjan Cain
Criminal at large

Post by Darjan Cain »

"Risk and reward go hand in hand." Darjan observed impassively. "Is it Hart that has moved against House Constanza?" He asked, unaware of the situation that might have unfolded. He felt it important to keep abreast of the factional situation, for he was no hired thug, but a careful artiste of the darker arts. If there was a chance to implicate somebody else in the conflict against Hart in the Marchlands then Darjan would gladly take it - it would be far better to have Hart chasing an illusory third organisation. In Darjan's favour nobody knew that he was working with Tristam, and given that he had been affiliated with several different factions before it might add further confusion.

"A conflict in the city might well expedite success in the Marchlands. People will not pay too much attention to an area like the Marchlands that is not part of their domain." He suggested.
2nd PC for Corbin Dillon

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"No." Tristam answered simply. "The situation is more complex. I have been hearing rumors that Hart is in fact dead. Slain last night but no one seems to know who. Its throwing all of Southbridge into shock and confusion as people wait to see who will fill the vacuum. The time to lock our hold on the Marchlands is now before the dust settles." Tristam said firmly.

Tristam paused a moment. Well Darjan is in for a banner. Let's see if he's in for a crown. "The fire was the beginning of Vendetta against House Constanza. I have countermeasures already in place." He assured Darjan. "If all goes as planned this Vendetta will be over before it has even begun." If Niccolo can be trusted. If Niccolo is as confident as his boasts. Tristam continued. "But I will need secure places to work from. This estate and the surrounding Marchlands needs to be one of them. If we can all survive the next few days, then I shall have the means to elevate us all higher we ever dreamed. But first we must get through the next few days." Tristam smirked.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Darjan Cain
Criminal at large

Post by Darjan Cain »

Darjan listened impassively as Tristam informed him that the side he had chosen had a vendetta against it. Very well, it was somewhat early in their relationship to be in a full-blooded war, but there was definitely potential for increased power and wealth from a war, after all people would die and dead people made space.

"Who is behind the vendetta?" Darjan asked. If Hart was dead then that meant there was a good chance that they could make the Marchlands their own - especially if Hart had been the only one showing interest. "As for this estate, I am quite sure it can be made secure. Does anyone even know that you might be found here?" Darjan enquired. He imagined that the Lillies had some sort of security, but whether they were of a demeanour that would enable them to kill undesirable people who came calling was another matter. Darjan of course was quite happy to do so. His blade had been dry for far too long.
2nd PC for Corbin Dillon

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"It is well known that I am customer here," Tristam answered, "I believe it it is less well known that I part-owner of the Lillies. Still the Lillies reputation is a bit of its safety. To strike at them is to anger many satisfied and influential men of the Mouth."

Tristam sighed and then answered the first question. "The vendetta is fueled by one of the Magisters." He admitted. "But we have an advantage. There is a man on the inside that is supporting us." Tristam smiled grimly. "The house burned but little of importance was lost. The House of Constanza looks worse than it is." He assured him. "Still, for the moment best if your organization seems to be your own idea. Let's keep our relationship in the dark for reasons of surprise and safety."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

Madam Lucetti walked before the pair in absolute silence, her attention focused on the path they were taking rather than the conversation taking place behind her.

In short time, they arrived in front of a closed door. Madam Lucetti's knuckles rapped twice before a quiet, "Come in," could be heard from the room inside.

The older woman's hand rested on the handle and pushed the door inward, stepping back to allow the two men entrance. "Master Tormson and guest to see you, Mistress. Is there anything I can get for you?"

A tall woman, her dark hair plaited into a long braid down her back, rose from the plush couch where she had been seated. "If you could have some lemonade sent up, Carlotta. It seems the perfect day for it." Her bright lips curved into a smile. Madam Lucetti offered a smaller smile in kind before closing the door behind the pair.

The sitting room was elegantly decorated. One long burgundy couch with room enough for four sat beneath a wide open window, the pale cream curtains moving slightly in the breeze. Flanking it on either side, turned in slightly to make talking more comfortable, sat two overstuffed chairs of the same soft fabric. A table lay nestled in the area between.

Three small tables were scattered about the room, each with a well appointed sculptures sitting upon them. The walls held few paintings, though one large mirror rested above a large fireplace, logs laid but unlit in the days heat.

"Come, have a seat," she offered the pair. Briefly her eyes narrowed questioningly as she leaned in to place a kiss upon each of Tristam's cheeks. For Darjan, she held her hands out in greeting. Once her guests were seated, she resumed her own place at the end of the couch.
Tickle-fight champion.
Darjan Cain
Criminal at large

Post by Darjan Cain »

Darjan nodded silently as Tristam announced that he was known as a customer here. That meant it was best if Darjan was not seen to be here frequently. That did not mean he could not be here frequently, just that he should not be seen to be.

"I am quite happy to appear independent." He stated. "I assume this Magister can not be killed easily?" Darjan asked bluntly. If he could then that would be too simple, he supposed, and they would not need to hide. Darjan had no compunction against hiding when needs be. He preferred killing, but knew that waiting could reveal opportunities that immediate action forestalled.

It was then that they reached a door which they duly entered, revealing something of a luxurious room, and within the woman that was no doubt the woman they were here to see. She greeted Tristam first, naturally, then turned to Darjan, offering her hands to him. Darjan took one, bent down and put a kiss on it, then moved to take a seat, as offered.
2nd PC for Corbin Dillon

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"We will know after tomorrow." Tristam replied to Darjan's question. "Should not that be successful, you may get your chance if you wish to take it." He offered. "For now, focus on the Marchlands."

Tristam stepped forward to greet Rasine and kissed her cheeks in return. Their time together on the Madrigal seemed a lifetime away now. Tristam took the offered seat. "Guildmistress, this is Darjan Cain." Tristam introduced the achadhiel. "I have recruited him to see that the Lillies are not bothered by any more 'requests' from gangs like Hart's."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

OOC: Dragon sailing in. Please let me know if I'm missing a piece of previously estbalished atmosphere, or other detail.

IC: A small smile of approval upon his gallant gesture, which immediately flagged him as a Mouthie native. "Please, why don't you take seat," Rasine said softly.

Upon Tristam's words she looked at Darjan anew, her eyes dark, her face revealing not, till one corner of her lip curled up in amusement "Well met, signor Cain. It will be a pleasure working with you."
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Darjan Cain
Criminal at large

Post by Darjan Cain »

"I trust that it shall." Darjan said. "Otherwise I shall not have done my job properly." He observed as he tried to read the Guildmistress' face which was impassive for a flicker until she smiled. He wondered what sort of woman she was. Indeed he was intrigued by what sort of woman would be a Lilly. Of course he had been told by several people that they were companions, but not prostitutes. Well, here was the guildmistress, and it was in her that he would see the embodiment of the Order.

"Have you had any further contact from Hart, or indeed any other gang?" Darjan enquired of her, wanting to establish if anyone else was making inroads into this area.
2nd PC for Corbin Dillon

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Tristam decided that he should leave them to this conversation while he slipped off to his own. "Before you two get wrapped up in the details of this affair, could I be shown your guest, Rasine? If I hold in the news I must impart any longer, I fear I will burst."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

Rasine turned her attention from Darjan, the answer poised on the tip of her tongue, to Tristam's request. "Most certainly, my friend," she replied with a soft smile. "For all that this subject is of interest to you as well, it's best if you conclude your own business first."

As she rose, she offered a nod of apology to her other guest. "I'll be but a moment," she informs him, "and then we can get back to the business at hand."

Moving carefully past Tristam, she lead him to the door on the far side of the room. Two knuckles wrapped twice against the wood of the door. A muffled voice from the other side bid entry. Rasine opened the door carefully, allowing Tristam entrance while she guarded the view inside with her body.

"Master Tormson to see you," Rasine introduced from her place at the door.

"Tristam! A pleasant surprise," a light female voice floated from the room beyond. Once Tristam was safely inside, Rasine crossed back to her seat with sure steps.

[OOC: Tristam, feel free to start a new sidethread to this.]

"Now that Master Tormson has been taken care of, we can get back to the matters at hand," she remarked as she slipped back onto the couch.

Her dark eyes settled on Darjan as she replied, belatedly, to his question. "Thus far, we've heard no communication from Hart. But his attention may have been taken with other concerns the last day or so." Her eyes flicked to the inner door, then back to her guest. "But that doesn't mean there won't be more coming soon."

Leaning forward, her whole attention focused on Darjan, she asked, "Is there anything you can do to keep it from happening? Or will your assistance be rendered when the next threat arrives?"
Tickle-fight champion.
Darjan Cain
Criminal at large

Post by Darjan Cain »

Darjan nodded silently as Rasine rose to see Tristam to the door, and waited in that state until her return. As he waited, he cast his eyes about the room briefly, once again trying to fix the objects there into his mind, as well as trying to judge what sort of person Rasine was. He also thought about the layout of the building as he recalled it from the outside, and slotted Rasine's room into the general layout.

As Rasine returned and took her seat again, Darjan waited for her to speak.

"As I understand it, Hart may have some other considerations at the moment. That might explain his silence." Darjan agreed with Rasine. He noted the flicker of her eyes to the inner door, and wondered whether it related to the reason that Hart might return.

"If they have come before, they will come again." Darjan said, believing it to be true. "To not do so would be a sign of weakness and doubly so with an organisation such as yours." He added simply. "They will come, it is a matter of when, not if."

He paused for a moment considering the best course of action.

"I think that preventing them from coming would be difficult. Paying them off is one way, but that would effectively be doing what they wish. The other way would be to send word that the Lillies are under the protection of someone else, but that is risky." He said. "They might try and test that out, and if they came in strength it would not go well for anyone. My suggestion would be to wait for them to come to us again. It will give me time to study the layout of this building and the grounds, and thus the battle will be on our terms. Once they are dealt with, we shall either make the bodies disappear, or place them somewhere else, to suggest that they met their ends elsewhere. That will sew confusion in Hart's mind. He might decide that the Lillies are not worth it after all. If he doesn't, he will send more men, probably the same number, and they shall be dealt with. That all buys us time in which other actions might be taken against Hart's organisation." Darjan said, and then waited to hear her response.

It seemed to him the best option, and it would give them time to perhaps reinforce their ranks with more men. Given the element of surprise, Darjan was confident that he could deal with however many men Hart sent - he envisaged two or three, and they could easily be separated in a place such as this, and then dealt with quietly.
2nd PC for Corbin Dillon

Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

The Madame Rasine nodded at Darjan in agreement, his confident and considered manner convincing her that he knew exactly what he was doing. "A sound plan," she said softly.

She took a set of old iron keys from her belt and passed them to the dark-haired achadiel. "I will need these back later but for now, the facilities and the rooms of the whole manor are free to you, signore, and any who disagree with your requests will be thrown off the grounds."

She inclined her head towards him solemnly.

"I leave the defence of the Lillies in your capable hands."
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]
Darjan Cain
Criminal at large

Post by Darjan Cain »

Darjan nodded silently as he received the keys. Run of the manor was certainly what he needed to begin with. He needed to get to know the ins and outs of the place as if they were a second-nature to him. He needed to make it so that this manner was his lair - if Hart's men ventured into it, they would not leave. Really, it was such a convenient trap. If the men came into the manner all he needed was for each of them to be offered a girl, who would slip something into their drink to render them incapacitated. Then he could deal with them at his leisure.

"Tell me something of those that work here. How many girls do you have, and how much security?" He enquired. "And are there any secrets about the place I should know of? Hidden passages,concealed escape routes. Things of that ilk." He said.

No doubt he could find them in time, but he wanted to make best use of the time he had and prepare a few surprises.
2nd PC for Corbin Dillon

Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

Rasine relayed the layout of the Panini estate to Darjan quickly and efficiently. It had two storeys, a long attic and extensive cellars beneath them where the kitchen and the servants' quarters lay.

The ground floor, once dining rooms and parlours, was where training in the arts of the companion took place. There were seven rooms on the upper floor which were now used as the Lillies' living quarters but had formerly been: a master bedroom and a lady's bedroom connected not by a secret passage but by a shared walk-in closet that was currently unused; an adjoining nursery and two smaller bedrooms for children; and two guest rooms that were only accessible by the doors in the central hallway.

Tucked away behind the mansion was a small building that had once served as a coach house and stable. Since the Lilies had no need for either, it had been converted into spacious, airy living accommodation for junior members of the Order.

There were eleven ladies on the premises. Apart from Rasine herself they were Akasma and Sirvat, human fraternal twins who had followed the Guildmistress from the Empire of the Seven Isles - Carlotta Lucetti, the etiquette mistress - Anita Laverachi who tutored the girls in letters - and her daughter, a child by the name of Gioconda. The junior members of the order were Allegra and Elizabette, whom Darjan had already met, and Cara, Laura and Columbine.

The security complement of the grounds was woefully small - normally, only four house guards were on duty at any time one. The old groundskeeper and cook, Guglielmo, would not be of any use but his assistant was a strapping young man. There were also the two bodyguards of the guest that Tristam Tormsen was visiting... but they were here solely for the protection of the Lady, and their aid could not be relied upon.
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]
Darjan Cain
Criminal at large

Post by Darjan Cain »

OOC: Huge apologies for the delay in response. Have had big computer problems, namely typing inabilities which have made writing anything an utter torture. I promise to be more prompt!

Darjan listened carefully as Rasine detailed the plans of the estate. He filed it all away in his head, picturing the estate, and adding areas as she described them so that he could build up a three dimensional picture of the place in his head. He would cement this through exhaustive investigations and prowling of the place. He paid particular attention to the prospect of a walk in closet. That could allow an element of surprise on an unwanted guest in one of the rooms.

By the sounds of it there would be little assistance for Darjan. The house guards probably were not up to much - if they were they could have dealt with the problem. It seemed that it would be down to him, when the time came. In many ways that pleased him. It was easier to rely on one's own skill, than trust in anothers, and Darjan had faith in himself, though he might be untested.

"Very well." He said as Rasine came to the end of her explanation. "It seems to me that until Hart's men come, there is little else to do than to prepare and get ready." Darjan said. "The strategy I would suggest would be to agree to what the men who come want. As a bonus ofer them the comforts of the ladies, and serve them drinks laced with sedatives whilst your ladies flirt. It will divert their attention in case they suspect the drinks. Once they are passed out I can deal with them." He said. This seemed to him the simplest and most effective of plans. He could then interrogate the men, or dispose of them, whichever seemed the most prudent course of action at the time.
2nd PC for Corbin Dillon

Return to “World's Mouth Archive”