Trouble continues on to Lunch-Chyril 23rd

Moderator: Mods

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

As close as he was to Anora now, another thing about Varesh became apparent. Despite his opulent clothes, and their fine cut, he carried very little in terms of jewelry, merely the ring he had mentioned before and a small necklace with a closed pendant about his neck. Neither was particularly rich, the ring apparently made out of silver or some mixture of metals with the same sheen as silver had. "What brought me to marketplace today?" Varesh smiled and tilted his head with a smile. "Nothing ominous I fear. I was trying to find a fabric for an outfit I was to wear at the coronation. And while I was there I decided I should browse a bit and chat with the vendors, see if I can pick up some rumors. It is amazing how much women are willing to share with you if you give them a smile and compliment them. But, that is beside the point. The reason why I invited you to coronation is because at that time it was on my mind and it just sprang up all of a sudden. Spur of the moment kind of thing."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Jewelry was easier to steal, but at that moment, Anora wasn't mentally stripping Varesh of every shiny on his person, which was strange. Normally, that's exactly what she did. She would imagine just how her fingers could undo that claps, fiddle that ring in just the right was as the wearer wouldn't notice. But not right now. Now, she was more interested in the person who could have been wearing those shinies.

"So ya acted on impulse? Do ya always act on impulse? That can be dangerous, ya know," she said, one brow cocked up but a smile slowly returning to her lips.
[color=darkblue][i][b]The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.[/b][/i][/color]
Dorothy Parker

[size=75]Avatar by Lena[/size]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"It can?" The old man managed to plaster a look of genuine surprise upon his face, though it lasted no longer than a few flickers, before his old mischievous smile emerged through it. "The way I see it, you either worry about things all your life, or you act and have fun. You seemed nice enough and you returned to me my purse so you were obviously not a criminal." He shrugged. "Sure, I did not think much about it, but I did give it some thought. Not a long thought admittedly, but were I to worry about every little thing I would never get anything done." He paused and then switched the subject just a bit. "Speaking of my purse, I still have no idea how I lost it back at the market. I usually tie it down pretty well."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Anora almost laughed out loud at Varesh's words. She was not a criminal? Oy, if he only knew that his purse was returned on a whim. "Aye, fun is all well and good. And ta worry is ta make yerself old before yer time. And that, milord, is not somethin' anyone could be saying about yerself," she replied with a wink. He was fun to tease. And he seemed to be having fun teasing back.

"Oh, could have been anything. Perhaps the last time ya had it out, ya didn't close it properly. One of the ties might be wearing down. A gentle brush by a pickpocket with a razor to slash the strings...Any number of reasons," she replied offhand.
[color=darkblue][i][b]The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.[/b][/i][/color]
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Varesh's eyes went wide, his brows arching at the compliment, lips curling into a beaming smile, the old man even puffing up his chest for added effect. And then he burst into laughter once more. "Flattery won't get you far with me my dear. Or rather it is not necessary after all you have done for me." The talk of the purse had the old man shrugging and humming. "No matter now. The purse is safely back and the good deed is being rewarded properly. Ten crowns is not that much money, and I consider it a fair price for meeting you."
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Anora choked ever so slightly when Varesh said it was just ten crowns. She could live on that for a month! A small cough and her airway was clear again, though her eyes did slightly water. "Well, I'm glad ta be knowing my acquaintance can fetch such a high price!," she teased once she was able to breathe again.

She decided it was time to change the subject or they'd spend the entire meal complimenting each other. And as much fun as that was, she was, as always, curious. "Now, what can ya be telling me about this coronation I'm ta be attending with ya?," she asked, eyes glittering.
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

One man's trash was another man's treasure, and Varesh never hid that he was a wealthy man, though the ten crowns were a lot to most people. He did say how money meant very little to him quite a few times already. "I thought you would appreciate this kind of gratitude more than a simple monetary reward. Money come and goes, but you do not get a chance to attend an actual coronation very often. And who knows whom I might introduce you to there. We may find you a cute, young noble's son there and......." He grinned at the tease, arching a brow and letting his words trail away.

"And the coronation..... Well, I must say I never attended one myself so I can't tell you much about it." He shrugged and hummed in thought. "It's supposed to be a big, posh party up at Citadel. Foreign guests, dignitaries, a whole bunch of nobles and merchants. Fancy drinks. Food that looks nice and tastes even better. A lot of pretty girls dressed in fancy dresses. That kind of stuff. And the soon to be Caesar, having a crown put on his head and looking all important and proud. He likes when people admire him I hear. But, meh. There are all kinds of people I suppose."
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Anora raised a brow as she listened to what the thought was a mildly veiled put down. Money to him may not be a big deal, but to the average pickpocket, it meant the difference between a bed or sleeping in a dark corner under a bridge. But then he said the most outrageous thing that had her laughing outright, probably louder than one should in such a place. "Oh, right. Me, the wife of a noble!," she said, the smile never leaving her face. "That will be the day." She shook her head as she looked at the old man.

"Likes ta be looked at? Oh, he's one of them. Usually compensating fer something, ya know," she replied. This Caesar sounded ripe for the picking. Someone that desperate for attention just needed the right person to say the right things at the right time. She could do that...
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The corner of Varesh's lips quivered for a moment, curling up into a wide grin at Anora's words, though the old man remained silent until she was done. "My dear, you think far too low of yourself. In Audrey's dress and a bit of coaching in manners you could seduce most anyone given a bit of luck. I know you are not shy, and that is the biggest problems ladies face when they are trying to catch a man. It helps if you are pretty, but without a bit of confidence, that is of no use." He leaned closer, looking around and whispering in mock conspiratory tone. "From what I know Caesar has been waving his thingy around at quite a number of ladies. But given his age I doubt he managed to wear it out. Must be something else. Sadly, I am not in the position to explore that venue myself, given that he is not like late Caesar Anochrim, Pan watch over his soul. He....ah, did not mind whether you were a boy or girl as long as you were looking for a bit of fun. Got out of hand a bit near the end I fear. Was more interested in sex than in the needs of Empire. Shame that."
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

The aquamarine eyes narrowed a moment as she thought on what Varesh said. She could be cute when she wanted and he was right when he said she wasn't shy. A rich husband would solve all her problems...well, except for the one where she really like to take things that belonged to other people. But rich people did that all the time. A brow rose as her expression became contemplative.

"Seduce anyone, ya say? Even the Ceasar?," she asked, a chuckle in her voice, but there was some seriousness behind her words. "Well, I suppose it won't be bad ta be learning some manners and such before such an event." Her eyes looked straight at Varesh, ready to accept if offer, if that's what it was. She was always looking for something bigger and better and the highest bid would win her in the end.
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Where one might have expected a chuckle at the outrageous suggestion Anora uttered, Varesh did no such thing, arching an eyebrow in surprise and glancing to the side, nodding to the waiter. Their food was ready. "Ah, so you are ambitious as well. Not afraid to aim high. A word of warning my dear, though. Each person has his or her own limits. There will be things you can not achieve." He smiled. "But, unless you test your own boundaries you will never know just how high you can reach."

The waiters brought out their food, laying down a plate of with a well browned steak, a heady smell of apricots wafting up from it, a number of small noodles, each covered in sesame placed about the stake. Varesh on the other hand got a large, pinkish piece of salmon, covered in thick, dark yellow sauce, the smell of mustard in it masked by the scent of apricots in her own plate. "Very well, I will teach you manners, under one condition." He picked up a napkin from the table and placed it in his lap, using a fork to separate a bit of salmon from the large piece and nodded to the waiter who stepped closer to pour them both a glass of wine. "If you managed to seduce the new Caesar.... What then? What do you hope to gain through it?"
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Anora listened to the lecture, her head tilted to the side, as the food arrived. For a moment, her eyes opened wide as the meat was placed before her, her stomach answering with a rousing growl. It smelled so good. And she bet it was fresh. Fresh meat. What a wonderful way to live! Yeah, she could get used to this.

"Oh, I know it's a long shot, but its the long shots that have the best payoffs," she said, cutting a large chunk of meat and placing it in her mouth. A sigh, almost sexual in nature, slid from her throat as the juices flowed down her throat into her belly. She was in heaven. She chewed and would have answered his question, but it was too big to talk around, so she swallowed most of it before replying.

"If I get him? Hm, well, I would think if one has control of the Caesar's lower brain, one had control of the upper one as well. Could prove quite useful to those who have need of his favor," she said, finally swallowing the rest of the meat.
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

It tasted even better than it smelled, the chef obviously on par with the Blackbridge's reputation and renown, the ingredients mixed perfectly, meat all but melting in Anora's mouth. Varesh listened to her reasons, leaning forward to add in a mock-conspiratory whisper. "Save some room for dessert." And then took a sip of the wine, nodding in approval to her views. "So you would seek to control him though holding sway of his lower brains?" He arched a brow and tilted his head. "What would make you so implacable? What qualities do you posses that other women do not? How would you keep control of him after he had slept with you? I hear he has been quite a ladies' man in the past."
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Anora shrugged, then took a large sip of wine. The food and the alcohol were helping her relax, making her less careful with her words. "Well, I'm not useful just in the bedroom," she said, that she wasn't sure if she was useful there. Perhaps she should go see that panling priest for some lessons. "I've other skills that might be of use to a powerful man."

A man in power had lots of enemies. Having someone who could go about unnoticed could be handy. Plus, she could swipe important documents as easily as coins. Not to mention, her lack of boundries when it came to sex made her useful should she need to seduce someone for him.
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Varesh seemed a man of manners, nibbling away at his salmon and speaking only in between the bites, sipping his wine to smooth the way for his food. With a grin he teased the girl on the other side. "Like returning him his money pouch when he becomes old and loses it in the marketplace?" The impish grin he threw her way made it obvious he did not mean it, but it faded away as he went on. "But, what other skills you might have? And please do not think I am belittling you, it is just that I know so very little of you. And again, I will understand if you would prefer to keep it a secret."
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Anora raised a brow then sighed and shook her head. "Ya didn't lose yer money pouch, Varesh. It was lifted by a pickpocket. It was then lifted again by another and returned to you," she admitted, casually lifting a spoon, twirling it about in her fingers, then trying oh so subtly to slide it into the sleeve of her shirt. "It was a fair spot of bump and dump. But the lad got sloppy." She gave a shrug.

Dropping her eyes and focusing on her food, she said, "Ya don't survive in the back alleyways of the Cit by being sloppy."
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Varesh smiled at her confession, arching a single brow in surprise, but not saying anything to interrupt her. "Please, you can call me Antoan. But, most people never get to learn that." He did not seem too concerned about Anora's confession, nibbling on his salmon and humming for a flicker or two, smiling as the spoon vanished in her sleeve. "I have learned that every skill has a use, but that they do not make a person. I am much more impressed by your subsequent actions. Pickpockets often do not return the loot even if they pilfered it from another of their kind. Mind sharing your motivation for such actions?" He smiled. "You could not have known I would be this grateful. And if you did....." Varesh chuckled and clapped his hands. "Then I must applaud your sneaky ways. You are turning to be quite an interesting young lady, miss Frollie. More and more as time passes."
Last edited by Grey Wolf on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

The spoon stayed up her sleeve as Anora thought on Varesh's question, quite forgotten now that it was out of sight. Many things she pilfered ended up that way, a surprise at the end of the day. She tilted her head as she eyed him. "It was mostly spur of the moment. Got a crazy hair up my ass to return it to ya. Still not certain why." She shrugged and took a long swallow of wine.

"Well, the heft of the purse made me almost turn away, but the cut of yer clothes and the way ya were acting painted ya as an easy going sort of fella." She cut off another huge chunk of meat and chewed it for a moment, before continuing. "There was a chance ya might pat me on me head and send me on me merry way, but there was also the chance of a nice reward." She raised her brow and added, "Didn't think it'd be this nice."
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Whether the waiter noticed Anora's skilled hands make the spoon disappear, or missed it, remained to be seen, the man not moving a muscle, his gaze fixed at a point somewhere above her head and upon the wall behind. "I think I will have to ask you for a favor my dear. If I am to teach you manners and prepare you for the coronation, you will have to teach me something in return. Those adorable little phrases you use. Crazy hair up your arse and things like that." He chuckled and waved the rest of her words away. "I would have been a stingy old geezer if I simply sent you away after you returned my purse. And I already told you I liked you and that is why a simple reward turned into something more."
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Anora laughed, not realizing that she had a tendency to use phrases that might be considered inappropriate. When you're raised in a former whorehouse frequented by sailors and pirate, you tend to learn things that other little girls don't. "And what would you be having me teach ya?," she asked, grinning.
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

VAresh's smile faded a bit as he pondered Anora's question, his food forgotten for a flicker or two. "Well, even though I have been hardly pampered in my youth it has been quite a while since I have had my share of streetwise experience. You could teach me about the darker side of the city these days." He took another small bite of his salmon and added. "You don't have to take me with you. Just try to give me a sense of what its like. Your own view of the world."
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Anora sat back and looked at Varesh for a long moment. The darker side of the city was not a place that people talked of over fine wine and even finer food. Using her tongue to sweep her teeth for any missed meat, dislodging small specks with a flick of the agile appendage, sucking them back, not missing a morsel. While she did this, she pondered, buying herself time.

"Don't seem like quite an even trade," she said finally. "I'm getting something fine and good out of it and all you'll get is tales of woe and misery, with perhaps a sadly funny tale thrown in. Now, normally, I'd take such a sucker deal in a heartbeat, but I like ya. Don't want ta cheat ya." She looked him straight in the eyes, her own slightly hooded.
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Varesh seemed amused by a good deal of things Anora did that day, her words catching him of guard and causing him to lose his carefree smile for a flicker and return her gaze. His own eyes were so dark they bordered on black, his irises barely visible, and were still intense and clear despite his advanced age. "Very well then. Let me try to put it like this. What do you think would be a fair trade between you and me? What would you think would not be cheating me if I teach you manners? And mind. I will teach you anyhow. Regardless of whether we find a way for you to repay me." The smile returned as he added mischievously. "Perhaps you might owe me a favor, like I owe you one now?"
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Anora wrinkled her nose unconsciously for a moment as she thought. A favor owed meant that Varesh would have something to hold over her. But, if she never acheived her goal, what kind of favor could he possibly ask of her? So either way, she was pretty much in the clear, win or lose. "Alright, a favor owed. Sounds fair enough to me," she replied, holding out her hand to Varesh to shake on it.
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Varesh's eyes held Anora's own for a flicker after her agreement and then the old man nodded and offered her his hand in silence and then set about finishing his salmon, though that did not prevent him from continuing conversation. "You are aware we have almost no time at all until the Coronation? We could perhaps squeeze in two lessons at best. But, no worry. I think we need to focus on a small segment of manners rather than make a prim and proper noble lady out of you." He waved the fork through the air in between bites, using it to emphasize his points. "We make sure you do not make some terrible mistake and insult someone without wishing to. And perhaps teach you a trick or two on how to insult someone and word is so they can do little about it right away." He grinned that same impish smile he so often wore that Tradetide. "But, we just have to preserve that naughty spark in you. That feel you leave when someone talks to you for a while. That you have so much more to yourself than what is readily visible. I think that is what will draw Lord Andolin to you, if anything does. And I think he will have a lot of explore, and be entertained for yahren to come."

Return to “Patrician's Ring Archive”