Trouble continues on to Lunch-Chyril 23rd

Moderator: Mods

Anora Frollie
Rogue

Trouble continues on to Lunch-Chyril 23rd

Post by Anora Frollie »

cont from here

Black Bridge

In times past, Lord Ahrildale of Kislovan had made Black Bridge his home, a consummate breeder and trainer of horses and a self-appointed master of the trade. Lord Ahrildale had long since left the Citadel in generations past, but his modest home in the Patrician's Ring remains alongside a very broad and impressive coach house, it's narrow construction and dark stones tipped with winged horses at every corner making it more of a distinctive landmark for the city than the public house itself. Black Bridge was constructed of a very dark stone dug deep from the Citadel itself, for Lord Ahrildale was rumored to have constructed the buildings...both the coach house and the public house...to match his prized Kislovani racing stud, Areilo, an animal immortalized by a great statue that stood even today in the center of the great round that connected both the coach house and the public house to the street beyond.

The public house itself might have been something of a disappointment compared to the lovely coach house, it's blocky, convenient shape featuring a great terrace behind, a terrace that looked out towards the Citadel fortress itself. Black Bridge faced east to look out over a very modest stretch of city before one could see the ocean, and while it had never actually housed a bridge as the name implied, the original resident of the old house was not often remembered for his sense or sensibilities. A running balcony looked out over the coach round below, both platforms holding various tables and chairs at discreet distances to allow her residents the opportunity for morningtide breakfasts on the balcony or eveningtide dinners on the terrace, within easy sight of the rising or falling sun.

With rooms starting at a small fortune to rent, Black Bridge was hardly meant for the average tenant. Featuring a modest kitchen, several studies and lounges, and almost twenty private accommodations, it remained the choice for visiting dignitaries, the traveling wealthy, or most often permanent tenants looking for a more suitable environment than those offered in the Inner City. The foyer of Black Bridge was a broad, tiled room decorated with several potted trees of a fresh, deciduous, broad variety along with several great tapestries featuring, naturally enough, horses in various poses of run or play. A tall, thin, adhiel doorman always stood nearby, one of several servants the house kept on staff, attentive for those guests or residents that would arrive or depart throughout the day.

Anora hadn't really been in this part of the city so took it in with wide eyes. She could almost hear the coins singing from every corner. Oh, she would DEFINATELY keep up her friendship with this nob, she decided as they moved towards Blackbridge. She barely kept from gasping as she saw the place. MONEY!, it screamed at her and her hand unconsciously tightened on Varesh's arm.

"Don't think I'm quite dressed right," she mumbled as she suddenly felt very self-conscious.
[color=darkblue][i][b]The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.[/b][/i][/color]
Dorothy Parker

[size=75]Avatar by Lena[/size]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The man at the door bowed low at their approach, Lord Varesh nodding in return and patting Anora's arm with his finger, whispering with a small grin. "My dear, let me tell you a little secret. Blackbridge is known for the willingness of its staff to cater to every whim of their guests. And you are definitely dressed much better than Lady Isis was when last time I saw her visit here. She wore nothing but a skirt that could more likely pass as a wide belt and a lot of body paint. Sure it was gold and it covered all important bits, but she was naked and I bet she did not wear anything under that skirt." He winked and added. "And besides, you are my guest and if anyone asks you are wearing this because Audrey is still working on your wardrobe." He led her towards the dining room, a pair of servants rushing forward to ready a table, reaching for a chair so Anora could sit, but Varesh waved him off. He held her chair and smiled encouragingly. "Come now. Sit down and relax. You have earned this." Once she was seated he took his place and glanced at her, as a servant stood close by, but kept his distance waiting to be summoned. "Now, do tell me you are a girl with a good appetite and not one of those silly little things that eat like a bird."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Now this Iris lady sounded like a girl Anora would have to meet, the girl decided as Varesh told his story. "Oy. A girl could catch her death in such a getup. Hope it wasn't too cold," she replied with a grin. Didn't sound like an outfit she'd ever wear, but if a girl had the body to pull such a thing off, more power to her.

She gave a laugh as he asked of her eating habits. "No worries there, I can assure you," she said with a twinkle in her eyes. No, she had learned in the last few months to eat as much as she could when she could, because you don't always know when you're going to get your next meal. She settled herself in her chair and glanced around the room, trying to take it all in.
[color=darkblue][i][b]The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.[/b][/i][/color]
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"Well, seeing how I keep seeing her showing more skin that two girls her size, I think you could say she is rather sturdy. Not surprising considering the rumors regarding her and that half-giant Sheikh. He's got to be at least eight feet tall. Just how she mana....." The old man had the grace to blush and cover his mouth, chuckling softly. "Oh, I am sorry. Sometimes I forget myself and get all naughty like that."

Summoning a waiter over, he sought to change the subject and the man was at his elbow in a flicker. "Yes sir?" Varesh ignored him for now and turned to Anora. "Now, you have earned yourself a treat and you are going to get it. What would you like to eat, and don't be shy? Anything you wish." He smiled and whispered a few words to the waiter who simply nodded, before turning his attention to Anora. "And I believe we need something to drink. Though what depends on your order. And then you can tell me a bit more about yourself while we wait for our food to arrive."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Anora leaned forward slightly as Varesh continued talking about this Isis lady. She sounded very interesting. Her large, blue eyes glittered with curiosity. She laughed when he did, though she had to force the blush. Growing up with a former madam, she wasn't the least bit embarrassed. As for how Isis did it, when there was a will, there's a way, she knew. "Bah. Don't worry about me, milord," she said with a smile, but didn't go anything further.

Looking at the waiter and back to Varesh, she shook her head. "I'm used to tavern fare. I wouldn't even know what to order in a place like this." She gestured around the room. "In this, I place myself entirely in your hands," she replied honestly. She didn't want to make a mis-step this early by ordering a mug of ale and some stew.
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

There was a flash of mischief on Varesh's eyes, but it lasted but a fraction of a flicker before the old man tapped his chin with a fingertip. "The lady will have cheese balls with walnuts for start. And bring us a bottle of fine Roque Red. 1209 or 1211. I'll have poached salmon in honey mustard sauce and for the young lady apricot beef with sesame noodles. And have some gelato and melted chocolate ready for the end." The man nodded and was ready to depart, when Varesh stopped him with but a raised finger and added. "Some Islay Whiskey while we wait would be nice." The man nodded again and was off, another taking his place near the table, ready to step closer should they need his services. "Now, where were we my dear?"
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Anora sat back as Varesh placed their order, wondering at whether or not she'd like what he ordered. Shit, it was food and free, so she'd eat it, even if it tasted like horse manure. Though the sound of whiskey perked her up a bit.

"Oh? Well, you were about ta tell me the life and times of the honorable Lord Varesh," she replied, less interested in talking about herself.
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

There was a flicker of silence as Varesh's deep brown eyes caught Anora's and held them for just a moment, a smile telling of some secret knowledge he had, and then he was back to his previous jolly self. "We have? I must really be getting old, forgetting things like that. Well, I may as well start from beginning, though I fear it is rather dull when told in bulk. Devil's in the details and I have been devil many times, though they are mostly episodes. Did you know that I have been poor for quite a long time? Not penniless, but poor compared to my current state. Most of my wealth comes from inheritance, though despite my best efforts to spend it all away it has grown steadily over time. I fear I have no idea how much money I have, other than lots." He shrugged and grinned with a hint of mischief, not trying to keep his voice low, letting the others overhear if they wish. Though there were only a few other guests, a young pair holding hands and sharing a masterfully crafted cake from the same plate and an elderly lady who snored softly in her chair, a waiter gently taking a fork from her hand and placing it on the table, before wiping her lips with a napkin and stepping away.
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Anora held her eyes to Varesh's, not looking away, though she couldn't help but feel he saw more than he let on. By the Gods, he knew how to keep her attention. The talk of money had her attention focused solely on him, unseeing of the other people in the room. "I've got ta admit, I find it hard ta picture you without money, milord. It suits you. And be glad for it. Being penniless isn't much fun," she said honestly.

Deciding to change the subject from money, she said, "And what are these devilments you've done? You've got me all curious." She grinned back at him.
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Varesh chuckled as Anora's words, though there was a hint of genuine understanding in his eyes, though it lasted but a flicker. "Please, call me Varesh or give me a nickname. Milord makes me sound boring and old. Though I will understand if you find me such." He grinned once more, and it was then that the waiter returned carrying a plate with a quite a large ball of cheese rolled in walnuts upon it, a distinctive, sharp scent of mustard filling the air about it. Thin slices of fresh cucumbers lined the edge of the plate, and a number of bread slices lay on the smaller plate he carried in his other hand. Several had smelled of fresh garlic, while others had nuts mixed with the dough before baking. An almost too shiny spoon was placed before her, as the waiter stepped back, the spoon itself looking like it was made of silver and a lot of it by the purity of its shine.

"Ah, devilments….. I have no idea where to begin, though I guess my time in Muchislie could be of interest to you. I spent several years there, before I came into inheritance, and young and daring as I was lived quite well by balancing my time amongst several well to do ladies. I fear they have all been somewhat older than me, but carried their years well." He grinned and added. "I fear I may have become too arrogant in the end and they learned that I was a shared commodity and not used exclusively by just them. Nasty business that. I fear wigs flew and dresses were ripped at first but then they turned on me. Luckily they carried their years well, but they were not as fast as I was. I wonder if any of them live still." Mischievous smile peeked through once more. "I guess I could go see and perhaps see if they are still angry."
Last edited by Grey Wolf on Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Raising a brow, a cocky smile came to Anora's lips. "As me grandda said ta me, 'You are only as old as you feel.'" She did a fair imitation of her grandfather, his upright demeanor always bring her humor in their dark home back in Nether's gate. "And I've a feeling you only feel as old as I am." She looked up then as the waiter stepped close with a giant ball of cheese. Her expression turned from amusement to confusion. What the Nether was she supposed to do with this? She decided to see what Varesh would do with it before tackling it herself.

She laughed aloud at his story of previous antics. "See? I knew you were a wicked man, Varesh," she proclaimed with continued amusement. "Well, if they were older than yerself..." She stopped herself from stating that they were probably wormfood by now. "They should have counted themselves lucky to have a man who was able to satisfy several women. Really, my gender can be quite unreasonable."
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"Ah, then that would make me sixteen most of the time. I do admit that this body is not as young as it used to be. Can be quite a bother to ache in places that I never knew existed. But, I manage to do most things I could when I was younger, albeit with a bit more grunting and grumbling." Unfortunately for Anora Varesh did not get a cheese ball of his own, but got the hint quite quickly and leaned closer to whisper. "I have trouble remembering which fork is for what and such stuff, but that's a good thing about Blackbridge. They are discreet and quite helpful." He glanced towards the plate and winked. "Lucky for you I already had cheese balls and asked the waiter how to eat it properly. Just act natural. Nibble on the bread and munch on the cheese using the small spoon he brought to you. Or as I like to do, do something silly and try to make the waiter squirm. I have only managed to do it once or twice in as three yahren."

A rather satisfied smile split Varesh's lips once more revealing a surprisingly full set of almost pearly white teeth he had, the old man almost managing to shrug innocently, his smile ruining the picture. "Now, now, I would not call myself wicked. Young and with a lot of free time on my hands perhaps, but not wicked. There have been other times when I could have been called wicked, like that time in Trothgard....." He let his voice trail off, his smile never losing its impish undertone. "And I would not have such talk of women even from one of them. You make this world interesting my dear, through your lack of reason and silly little quirks."
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Anora grinned at Varesh, finding the old man an absolute delight. Really, it was almost sad to have to fleece the man. But she'd do it. And he'd probably end up laughing about it. As he leaned in, she did to, chuckling a bit. "That obvious, am I? Now, don't you be challenging me ta make a spectacle. I'm of a mind to almost take you up," she replied with a mischievious smile. Picking up the spoon, she scooped off some of the cheese ball, spread it on a piece of toast. Then, lifting the bread to her lips, she licking them before slowly nibbling on the toast and cheese, all the while grinning. It was good.

A full throated laugh slipped from her. "Now, should I be taking that as a compliment or insult? Lack of reason." She opened her eyes wide and gave him her most innocent, braindead smile. "But I'm just a girl. We've no need fer reason."
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Varesh did seem to attract trouble and even rejoice in its midst, the old man smiling as Anora chose to behave instead, tilting his head and arching a brow. "Now, now, would I do that? Challenge you to make a spectacle?" He held his arms almost defensively, though the smile showed that it was just an act. "Always keep your options open is what I say. And I now so little of you, so I had no way of knowing if something that silly would come to your mind." The smile turned into a small grin as Anora took his description of girls as a joke, just as it was intended. "There, you admit it, or perhaps you are just indulging an old man?" Another waiter approached, placing a pair of glasses before each of them, a sharp scent of alcohol filling the air. "But, I keep talking about myself, and it is terribly rude. Now, while I find being rude is fun at times, it is simply not proper to be rude to a lady. So, why don't I shut up a bit and let you tell me a story of yourself?"
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

There were many ways that Anora could have caused a spectacle that immediately came to mind, but she had restrained herself from jumping up and singing a sea shanty or letting loose a string of curses in both human and adhiel (her grandfather unknowingly teaching her some). She decided it was more fun to be mellow right then. Later, she might show the old man what she was capable of.

Damn. She had been hoping he was more interested in himself than her but he had managed to come back to making her talk of herself. icking up her glass of wine, she was surprised by the lack of burning on her tongue as she sipped. This certainly wasn't made in someone's back room. "A story? What would you know? I've not as many as you, nor as colorful, I'd be thinking? There's not much ta be telling anyways," she said.
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

It was not the wine Anora found in her glass, but finest Islay Whiskey money could buy, unless you were Duke Erwin himself. Only then you could drink better stuff. It sure as Hell did burn, but left a slight smoky aftertaste, warming the body and setting the stomach on low fire, making it start up in preparation of real food. Wine would come only once meat was served, having been chosen to compliment its palate rather nicely. Varesh chuckled and leaned forward once more, obviously in quite a good mood judging by the smoothing of the wrinkles upon his face. "Tsktsk, come now. A lovely lady such as yourself must have gotten in some sort of trouble in her time. Maybe not in as much trouble as I have managed in all my years, but you are still young and have an entire life in front of you." He paused and tilted his head to glance at her. "You are not being shy on me, are you?" His grin spoke that no answer she gave could save her from tease, but that neither was also likely to land her in trouble.
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Anora was pleasantly surprised by the whiskey. She was used to rock gut. This was nice. She took another sip, savoring the burn. "Aye, trouble I've found, but most times, gotten out of. Like hiding as a boy upon the ship to come here, working as a cabin boy," she answered honestly. There, that should surprise him.
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

For a flciker Lord Varesh did not respond, brows arched up, eyes growing distant, as he held the glass close to his lips, stopping in mid motion, eyes. For another flicker he seemed frozen in time, and woke up from reverie, his eyes moving to Anora's as the glass landed down untouched in this pass. Leaning on the table, Varesh smiled with a hint of mischief in it and spoke in stage whisper. "Cabin boy? And nobody knew you were a girl? You must have seen and heard all sort of stuff on that voyage. Things not meant for a girl such as yourself to hear. Tell me about it. Please."
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Damn, Anora thought as she realized she may have said too much. The sudden ceasing of motion in the always animated Lord Varesh was probably not a good thing. Her eyes quickly darted around the room, trying to figure the quickest exit, in case of emergency. One had to be ready for anything.

His sudden leaning forward had her leaning back, a bit wary now. "Aye, I saw much and heard more," she said, biting the inside of her lower lip for a moment. "What do ya want ta know?," she asked, trying to figure out if the elderly man was trying to find out more about the cargo or how to get her to incriminate herself.
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The twinkle was back with a vengeance, as Varesh burst into a laughter, ignoring the curious glances of other guests, wiping a tear from the corner of his eye and relaxing. "Now, now, no need to be so cautious and suspicious. I was merely interested in your experience of life amongst men. You see, I know how men tend to behave differently when in all male company and you pretended to be one of the boys. Did the experience change your perception of men, or did it just confirm of what you knew." he reached across the table to pat the back of Anora's hand with another chuckle. "And don't worry your pretty, little head too much. I don't want to tell you is a perfectly acceptable answer to any of my questions. This is not an interrogation and you are not strapped to a chair." He winked and settled back to take one more sip of his whiskey.
Last edited by Grey Wolf on Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Anora tried to relax, but now she couldn't help but still feel slightly wary. She was in a place unknown to her, surrounded by people unfamiliar. It was not the best situation for someone like her. But, she tried to look like she was relaxing again, though it took quite an effort on her part to keep from jumping when he patted her hand.

"Oh, aye, I saw quite an interesting side of men, though truth be told, it wasn't anything new," she said, her eyes steady on Varesh's. "It merely helped to solidify what I already knew." One brow was up now. "So you admit men act differently around women. If I had been a boy, how would you have reacted to my returning yer coins?"
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Varesh arched a brow at the change in Anora, but said nothing for some reason, simply letting it rest and focusing on her question. His smile faded a bit, losing its impish edge, though he was still smiling. Taking a sip of his whiskey, he looked towards the ceiling and hummed, pondering a reply. "Never thought of it really, but the answer is yes. Had it been a male I would have acted differently." A few more flickers passed before he continued. "There would have still been a reward, though I am not sure if I would have invited him to the coronation. Probably not, but it is possible if he had proven to be an interesting sort of fellow. It would all depend on who the person returning the money would have been." His eyes found hers and the smile was replaced by a more gentle one. "You do not have to stay. Nor do you have to come to coronation with me. You still get to keep the dress and I will even throw in some money as way of thanks. Your choice."
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Now Anora was torn. One part of her told her to take the coins and dress and run while another part of her was kicking her own rear for acting the suspicious ass. She raised one brow as she looked at Varesh, then sighed. "Sorry. Just not used ta the kindness of strangers. Takes some getting used to. I didn't mean to make it seem as though I don't wanna be here. I do. I just..." She shrugged then.

"Could we talk more about you than me? If ya don't mind?" She just wasn't comfortable talking about herself.
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The old man's left brow arched his eyes resting on Anora's face as silence fell for a few flickers, a smile finally peeking through his features. "Ah, so I must apologize for touching a sore spot unknowingly?" He nodded once before adding. "I am sorry I made you feel uncomfortable. I was going too fast. Perhaps when you get to know me better you will tell me a bit about yourself." He drained what was left of his whiskey and waved the waiter off as he stepped to pour him another glass. "So, what would you like to know about me? I fear I have no qualms about revealing almost everything, and quite probably boring you to death with much of what I can share."
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Anora waved her hand in front of her face. "Don't be apologizing fer doing what comes naturally to ya," she said in an almost off-handed way, save for the still sharp look in her eyes. Growing up where she had, people who reveal too much too quickly were either liars or fools. Varesh didn't seem a fool, but it was too early to tell.

Finishing off her whiskey, she responded, "Tell me what originally brought ya to the marketplace today."
Dorothy Parker

Return to “Patrician's Ring Archive”