Back where it all Started (Chyril 23rd MT)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Back where it all Started (Chyril 23rd MT)

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Located on the Market Square of the Capital of Dort is one of the largest temples dedicated to Pecunia on all of Tazlure. It is the goddess of Wealth, not Money, that rules here.
Lavish tapestries line the marble walls and floors. Mahogany wood is used everywhere with flourish. The air is full of scents of the most exquisite herbs and the sounds of a hundred silver bells tinkling. The richness of the robes of the priests starkly contrasts with their sober look of seriousness.
The temple is full of people, praying for good luck with their trade. In a business-like approach they promise the goddess acclaim, and donate a fixed sum. A little list with prices is etched out in black marble and is conveniently displayed near most altars.
There are many reasons one would visit the Temple of Blessed Wealth. The blessing for a transaction is but one of many functions the temple serves. Artists seek employment by the rich who show their wealth by becoming a mecenas for only the rich can afford something so frivolous as art. Common people whish to entrust their savings with the goddess, to see it magically multiply and safe from taxes and thieves as well. The Dort Mail Monopoly takes care of all the letters one could wish to send to other isles, for communication smoothes the way for trade. And the Dort Rebuilding Society, having a little counter in the big hall, encourages young people to start a new business by granting them a loan for only a small and reasonable interest.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sleep has been pushed low on Gavin list of priorities, the tall warrior having far too much to do right now, before he could allow himself some rest. Past three months have been busy, but he felt ready for what lay ahead, knowing that rest may not come any time soon, but not minding it too much. With Syra by his side and armed with the knowledge that Gwayne and Amber were safe he had sought the portal to Dort to see what information he could gather before going back to Islay to get to work on restoring the toppled stones and hopefully solving that particular problem.
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber was glad to be back in Dort. Aside from the fact that she was back in somewhat familiar territory, she had another reason for wanting to be here. She hadn't told the others what it was yet, nor was she sure she wanted to. After all... she wasn't sure if she could share those emotions with them, what she had felt. What would they think of her? Would they even understand? And how would Gavin take it? She tried to tell herself it didn't matter. Gavin cared about Syra, anyway. But still... despite her dream, Amber still cared about Gavin more than she would let on.

"So, what exactly are we doing back here?" she asked. "A lot of that stuff in the Clan Meeting went right over my head." She looked up at Gavin questioningly, and then to Syra, wondering if she might have a clue as well.
Cowgirls Exotica's "Queen of Hearts" - 2008
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

His first trip through the portal left Gavin with mixed emotions about the whole ordeal, the slight disorientation seemingly a small price to pay for the time saved in crossing so much distance almost instantly. With a slight shudder he composed himself and settled to wait for all the others to arrive. "Wrapping up some loose ends hopefully. I need to make sure Vaga Hex has been dealt with or in the case she is alive that the demon simply used her face to trick us. She's the old woman from our dream. The one that called us by our other names." He paused a flicker to let Amber recall who he spoke of before proceeding. "If she was just a face, she might help us restore those stones Milkhaire mentioned. Don't know of another term to use for what he did with his thoughts in our heads. Then there is the Steward Dein is Mein. Before Abner and I left to seek you out, the little guy mentioned something that only made sense much later. I think he was possessed by the demon as well. Through a ruby red stone in his ring. I need to make sure he is fine now and to talk to him without him being influenced by outside forces. To ask about that badge he gave me and to find out what it signifies. Must have lost it in the walking forest." There was a shrug as he came to the last issue. "And I need to sneak into the personal library of the Duchess and talk to a ghost of a little girl named Amber there. I promised I would look after her before we set off to seek you. And while I am there I might as well browse through the books there and see if there is something about the stones and how to restore them. Lots of stuff in there was about magic."
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber shuddered at the mention of Vaga Hex. "I remember her," she muttered. "She better have been dealt with. I don't want to run into her again, either in the waking world, or in a dream." Most of what he said made sense to her. Of course, while she had been stuck in the keep in Hafne, she'd missed a lot, it seemed, so she was having to fill in some of the blanks herself. But the last thing he said caught her ear.

"Wait, the ghost of a girl named Amber?" she echoed. "Now that's just a little creepy." She shrugged. "Is there any way that I can help you? I'm not sure I'd be any good with the books. I can't read very well, and they're probably beyond me."

She paused, wondering how much she should tell him about her other reason for coming back to Dort. "Um... there's also someone I need to try to find while I'm here," she said slowly. If you don't need my help, I'll go look for her. But if you do, I'd be happy to help you; I'll just need to check for her before we go running off through another portal or something..."
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Gavin seemed to mouth a replu, but stopped, his brow furrowing. "Vaga.... She... I am not sure about her. She helped me find Abner, and she healed a soldier that Duke's healer could not save. She knows magic, but I... I am not sure she was the demoness. Maybe...Maybe she was possessed by her too. Maybe.... I don't know. That is why I want to find her and ask. And remove her as a threat if she proves to be one." The words were uttered without emotion apart from a faint tone of sorrow and regret in Gavin's voice. He won't like doing it, but if Vaga proved to be behind the demon he would make sure she was dealt with, and to Nether with emotions.

A single brow was arched when Amber announced she was going to look for someone herself, but Gavin did not inquire further. There was something in the tone of her voice that made him wonder who this mysterious someone was, but he was not going to pry into her privacy. When you are ready you will tell me. "These are all things I need to do. Having you around won't hurt, but if you have other things to take care of.... I'll be leaving back to Islay on the second mark of Morningtide tomorrow. We can meet then." He shrugged and then added just in case she needed a reminder. "If you need my help just seek me out. I should be at the Drunken Duck in the evening."
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Gwayne of Vendeling »

Gwayne came running through the portal, following Amber and Gavin. He was still being shocked because of the dream.

All had been more or less normal when he woke up,,,,, except that his blanket had been on the ground and that he was confused and cold.

All the young adhiels had been mixed up, but no dark tempting feelings flowed through his body anymore.

Aetya lives !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gwayne had wondered what Syrawenn would say about that, she would probably leave with Gavin on his hunt for the witch.... So he ran off to the portal he had to go to Dort and the "Drunken Duck..."

So he arrived at the same spot as Gavin and Amber, panting and gasping and asking "Where is Syrawenn ??..... I have to go to the Drunken Duck..... to meet a girl called Evylis or something..... have to tell Syrawenn that Aetya lives.."

A lot of emotions seemed to fight for a place on the face of the adhiel... he had never been so excited in his life.
The Goddess is at my side, until she decides to leave me...

Posting on possible days Avatar from our lady Finley.. a mistress of capturing dreams and nightmares in word and pictures.
http://pixieface.deviantart.com/
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber nodded at Gavin's reply. She, too, was curious about who and what Vaga Hex really was, and what part she had played in the demoness' plot. Or what part she might still be playing. "I will be glad to help you if I am able," she said. "But if you're planning on leaving tomorrow morning, that doesn't give us much time to do all of these things. Of course, if I am not finished by the time you are, I can always meet you back on Islay. Or vice versa if you so choose."

She glanced over her shoulder as Gwayne came running out of the portal, watching with an amused look as he tried to talk and breathe at the same time. But then he mentioned Eivlys, and she froze. How does he know Eivlys? she wondered in shock. Did he dream of her as well? And who is this Aetya? Obviously someone I don't know...

"Gwayne," she said softly, "I think I'll go with you. I need to go in that direction anyway." She looked back at Gavin. "If you need to find me, Gavin, just ask for me by name. I've been around here enough that at least some people will know me, and if not by name, then by appearance. Just ask for the trouble-making redhead." She laughed a little bit at the memories of her younger days growing up in this area.
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

"Excuse me."

The voice which interrupted the trio belonged to one of the golden-robed priests cluttering up just about ever corner the Temple. He cleared his throat.

"If you don't mind, could you please stop cluttering up the portal? There are others who require its services." He gestured meaningfully at the waiting queue of paying customers wishing to travel away from the city.

"If there is anyone in particular that seek, I suggest you start by asking at the Drunken Duck. Everyone in town goes there sooner or later."
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Muscles tensed as Gwayne came running out of the portal, Gavin's shoulders squaring as he lowered himself a bit, relaxing just a bit as it became apparent who was the source of all that commotion. "Whoa, slow down there, Gwayne." He nodded to the priest and with a gentle hand led the adhiel away from the portal, adding over his shoulder. "There will be a girl coming through in a short while. Direct her to us when she does." He led them to an alcove nearby and glanced at both Gwayne and Amber. "I am leaving back to Islay tomorrow. With you or without you. Those stones are important. But.... Not as important as you two. So, I will say it once more. If you get into some trouble you can't handle yourselves, seek me out. And I'll do the same if I get myself into a pickle." He smiled and winked at Amber. "You two go right ahead, and I'll wait for Syrawenn. See you soon, trouble-making redhead. Keep an eye on her, Gwayne."
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

The priest said "Drunken Duck" Gwayne almost jumped out of his skin, he had arrived faster at the place he wanted to be then expected... and with Amber. His wandering thoughts stopped when Gavin said something about slowing down and pulled him aside.

"Tell Syrawenn that she is a girl and your in trouble... " Gwayne muttered softly when Gavin told the priest about the girl following. But then he listened to the big man as he always did.

"If you need me.... uh us, you can ask for us at the Drunken Duck... we see each other soon enough." Gwayne said trying to ignore the red face he got because of the remark about keeping a eye on Amber.

"If trouble comes, we come for you two Gavin, don't worry."

Posting on possible days Avatar from our lady Finley.. a mistress of capturing dreams and nightmares in word and pictures.
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

"Yes, we'll see you," Amber said, although she wasn't certain of how soon it would be. If she found Eivlys... well, she wasn't sure what she was going to do. She wanted to see Gavin again, that was for sure, but whether or not it would be when he thought it would be, that remained to be seen.

"Let's go, Gwayne," she said. "Don't want to hold up traffic anymore." She looked over her shoulder at Gavin as they started off. "Say bye for now to Syrawenn for me, k?" She waved.
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Gwayne just nodded and followed Amber.

Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Morningtide was not on the very short list of favourite things the girl kept in her head. Too often it was accompanied by grey skies, hangovers or bad reasons to get up early. This time it came with the full knowledge that she had not much to hide behind anymore since the evening before.

The girl wasn't good at much. Hiding was actually one of her prime talents. And now there was a man walking around who probably understood more about herself than she did.

And that was a damn scary thought.

Yet the choice had been made and she'd stick by it. Besides, with Amber safely in their crew there was no way the future she feared could come true. The only real dangers that might come on her path consisted of her beloved brother Noir or -nether forbid- her dad himself.

After running a few laps and dousing her nerves with a splash of cold water Syrawenn headed for the agreed upon place. Keeping an easy running pace the youngster reached Gavin.

"Am I late?" Her grey eyes peered around. "The rest ain't here yet? Am I too late? Are they gone yet? Where's Amber? Did you sleep? How's Milkey doin? What are we gonna do now? Head to the stones? Gather a crowd to pull em up? I think we should start explainin stuff to other people, ya know, people that live around an not those that are so busy usurping land an power that they won't stop to think."

Nerves talking.

"Oh, an good mornin." A half grin. "How are you?" She readjusted the scarf around her neck.
[size=75]Gavin:She's the emerald eyed agent of chaos
Vanir:She's cute, it's her personality that gets in the way
Ulder:Syra is a great shredder of paralysis through analysis
Elvin:We call it the Law of Improbable Syrabilities
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

She found him sitting in a side niche, leaned comfortably against the wall, waiting there as if he had not a single worry in the world. Truth was Gavin had worries, but he also knew that worrying himself over them would get him nowhere. And until Syrawenn arrived through the portal he was content to just sit there and wait. "Hello. I'm fine."

Jerking his thumb over his shoulder, Gavin glanced towards the door. "You just missed them. Went to find someone named Eivlys at the Drunken Duck. Not sure why Amber is looking for her, but Gwayne looked like he was in a hurry. Said he had to tell you Aetya lives." Gavin frowned remembering whom the name belonged to. "She's the lady with the stones. Paladin or something. With the wings." He paused before adding. "We can follow them if you want and see what he is talking about. But, then I really gotta go see the Duke's Steward. Make sure he is okay. He had one of them red stones that linked people to the demon. And also go see Vaga Hex just outside the city. And see if I can sneak into Duchess' library and speak to the ghost there. Another Amber, only this one is a little girl."
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

"MISSED em? You mean they left? Amber went off? She can't!" Syra blurted out, clapping a hand in front of her mouth as soon as Aetya was mentioned.

"WHAT? She was dead! How can she be back! What the friggin nether is goin on here! An I KNOW what it is about! She helped us back then. Did the whole mysterious thing as if we'd be freaked by wings or somethin."

Syrawenn shrugged. "Okay so maybe we shoulda been freaked, but after talkin stones an that other shitload a pair of wings don't do much fer the rush."

Follow Amber an stick together...but then Gavin won't come. Then I might get into trouble after all an jump straight into that story. Not gonna. Can't let it happen. Besides, Amber is with Gwayne. He'll keep her from crazy stuff....an pull her into other crazy stuff. But at least it will be different!

Quick calculations and hypotheses. The girl nodded. "Nope, comin with ya right now. They ain't alone. You won't go alone. If we go there, we get sidetracked. You know that. An then you'll wanna go to the steward an...well, that's besides the point. We're goin now. I want answers an yer closest to them right now. I'll do the sidetracks later."

She folded her arm and challenged him to make something of it.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Gavin's brows furrowed into a confused frown at Syra words, the big man not quite understanding all that was going on, but quite willing to give his best and try to understand, provided someone tried to explain. "They will be back later today. And they left together, so they won't be alone if there is trouble. And I can find Amber in Dort. People know her here." He smiled when she decided to go with him, though he would have been fine either way. She had promised to come back and not to run away at scary emotional stuff. "It might all be linked you know. The whole Aetya being alive thing and the stones and everything. What do you say we start finding some answers, before more questions pop out? And I say we start at the Castle and see if we can find the Duchess and the Steward and the Amber ghostie. Then we can go look for Vaga and maybe go all the way to the Abbey. Or you have a better plan?" As he spoke he motioned towards the door, not wanting to delay the line at the portal anymore. Besides unless they started walking they were never gonna take care of everything in a single day and even if they walked real fast it would be a wonder if they managed.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Syrawenn jumped into a little trod to keep up with the big man. "Right now I ain't got no better plans. I might have some ideas once we get crackin. Not now. Gotta start somewhere an we better do it fast." She nodded in agreement.

"Just one question: why first the ghostie? Why not first Vaga? Seems to me the latter holds the answers, right? Or did I get it wrong." There was a nervous anticipation when she spoke of Vaga. Something was going to go very wrong or it was going to be very right. Either way, that talk might change their points of view once again. Otherwise Gavin would never have been so insistant on meeting there and otherwise he would not have worried about it.

While talking the girl moved with him, eager to get started.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

He was used to adjusting his pace to accomodate the others, and thus with every step Gavin slowed down a bit until they both walked comfortably at each other's side. "Well, Vaga... She lives outside of the city. A bit out of the way. Not too much walk, but the Castle and ghostie and Steward and the Duchess are all in the same place. So I though we might do it like that, but if you prefer we can do the roundabout way and go see Vaga first." He shrugged and paused in his steps, pointing a Castle looming over the rooftops, and then motioning down the road leading towards the gate and Vaga in the forest beyond. "I think you might be right. Let's go see Vaga and then we cna move around. It ain't like we can't take care of it all today."

OOC: Feel free to start us on our way and I will dig out the loc description
Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

OOC: Jumping in with permission of Trist. And away we go once more!

In a thicket of thorns and scrub brush in the low hills outside the city of Dort, stood the unfortunate home of Vaga the Hex.

It was a small wooden cabin, constructed of packed earth and timber logs. Strange decorations crafted from leather and pieces of bone hung from the edges of the thatched roof. A basket of corn was placed next to a comfortable looking rocking chair out front.

It was only barely outside the city walls, but the noise and odors of the city did not seem to reach this small patch of land. Almost as if the path had carried one much farther from the familiar streets than was possible.

The door to the residence was a thin panel of gray wood that was carved and scratched with hundreds of overlapping patterns. It currently stood ajar, waiting and expectant.

A song floated to them on gossamer wings. The voice was rough, scratchy and low, but it carried a note well enough and spoke of mystical things.

"... inside the lands and dales
and unicorn horns and hooves...

Black Manticore sting and griffon's cry
forever lost to this world
Diamond dust and winter sky
all in the hands of a girl..."

A chicken ran across their path, clucking and scratching at the dirt.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

It took a while before Syrawenn picked up on the relatively subtle song that sounded. She was too busy either speaking with Gavin or herself.

"See, but if those dreams are real and this is a dream, then it STILL don't matter, I think. Cause then you got the same situation, right? Just no army of demons but hidden snags. An if it's the other way around, if this is real an that is a dream, then...ah friggin netherbats, what I MEAN to say is it's both real! Why wouldn't there be two worlds? Seen enough by now. Should be possible. So dreams can be real. Not the ones where ya turn into pink fluffy bunnies that climb trees and eat sugared apples -don't ask- but the ones where yer meetin people an learnin stuff, ya know?"

A chicken ran across their path, making the girl realize that besides her voice someone else was speaking up.

"Unicorns?" She mumbled, wiping a strand of hair from her face. "Manticores? Winter skies? Are we movin through time an space again?" A quick suspicious look around did not do much to reassure her, since the youngster was a stranger in these parts.

"Gav, everythin here as it should be?" A poke in the man's side -whether he wore his armour or not- and she put a careful hand on her dagger.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

It was the same place, though Gavin's expectations were different. Where before he sought the healer, now he could very well be coming to the den of a demon, and he was quite ready to end its life should the need arise. Despite all that he showed little outward sign of the tension that held his body coled like a spring, leather of his gloves creaking softly in the slow rhythm as he clenched and unclenched his fists nervously. He was listening to Syrawenn's words, but it took a flicker or two for her voice to register on the big man's mind. "Huh? Yeah, everything like it was the last time I was here."

Crouching down, he sniffed the air for a moment, shifting to the side to be downwind from the cottage, trying to sense if there were any scents coming from it. Last time the old woman was stewing something in a pot and he wanted to see if she knew of his coming as she did the last time even before he appeared. "Vaga's a bit different. She said she used to see things in the past. Glimpses of future. That's why she lives alone." He turned towards Syra but kept his eyes on the hut. "And you are right about the dreams. Does not matter whether you sleep or are awake. You make difference anyhow. Especially if others n the dream are real too. If they dream like you do." Another sniff of air and he rose, moving towards the house slowly. "Come on. Let's see if she has changed, and if she is a lady or a demon-lady."
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The old woman known as Vaga Hex stepped through the open door as they approached, but it was they that startled her, not the other way around.

She was unkempt, and unwashed, her wild hair floating around her head like a lion's mane. It was her third step from the door where she spied them, her head snapped around to see if she recognized them. She crammed one eye shut and peered intently at them from the other. Somehow the chicken was suddenly in her hands, and she clutched it close, stroking its head and neck.

"Lo there are hunters approaching. Come to see old Vaga have you? What do hunters want with a poor old woman such as I?"

She snapped the chicken's neck with violent, sickening crunch, killing it instantly.

"Best come in and eat. From the look of you you're both half starved."

The old Hex walked back inside her hut, but she left the door open for them to follow.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

For some reason that simple motion brought Syrawenn's hackles up. Crouching down as if getting ready to attack...crouching down as if to avoid becoming the hunted instead of the hunter.

With a forceful shudder the girl pushed the unpleasant memories far, far away. Whatever this was, whenever this was, she needed to stay focussed on the now, no matter how insanely relative that 'now' had become.

"Future eh?" The girl mumbled, swallowing hard. Suddenly she was not so sure whether she wanted to meet this mysterious woman. It would be infinitly more comfortable if she turned out to be a nasty demon they had to get rid of.

Cautiously she followed the big man, taking a quick step back when Vaga appeared. The youngster frowned. Hex did not look very frightening really, just more like one of the many beggars in King's Court. Yet one blink of her eyes and there was a dead chicken instead of a clucking one!

Riiiiiight...appearances deceive.
Hunters, eh? If she knows the future, she knows what we're comin for.

And yet despite all her awkward feeling the mention of food made her stomach growl.

Flushing angrily at her treacherous stomach the girl tapped Gavin on the shoulder. "Guess we go, eh? So you said ya knew her? Don't seem she recognizes you!"

Once inside the girl would take a good look around, making sure not to get anyone between her and the way out.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Gavin met Vaga's one-eyed gaze firmly, pausing in his footsteps and glancing down only twice, first when the chicken appeared in her hands, and the second when it died just as suddenly. He shook his head at Syrawenn's words, hesitating just a flicker before stepping forward, eyes on the door, speaking in soft, almost subdued tones. "Vaga is like that. She seemed to know me last time even though we never met. Does not know me this time. She's weird like that."

He stepped into the house first, not moving too deep inside before stepping slightly to the side to enable Syra to enter and see everything within. "Uhm, Vaga..... We need to talk. And maybe travel together. To Islay. There's stuff going on that you might be able to fix. Either by working or by knowing what needs to be done." He paused an leaned slightly forward. "You do remember who I am? We met a few months ago. I took you to heal that soldier's foot in the castle."
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

By the time the intrepid duo had set foot in the ragged hut, the chicken was all but plucked and cleaned. Vaga began cutting it into smaller pieces and throwing them into a stew pot, which had a cheery little fire burning underneath it.

The hut looked different than Gavin remembered. Her low bed was gone, now replaced by several thick blankets and sleeping furs on the floor. Much of the dusty jars and tomes that had been there before had been replaced with bare walls and empty shelves. It was almost as if she were removing the comforts of her life and depriving herself of them. Yets despite the absence of some of the comforts, it was a warm shelter, and not completely devoid of a rustic charm.

"The Islay mislike ol' Vaga something fierce youngling. They have cursed me as much as they are able, and trust me less than you."

"The only thing Vaga fixes now are poultices and salves. Healing now. Just healing."

She seemed to take that for an answer to his plea for help.

"Aye, I remember. Vaga might be old, but she remembers. How did you fare with the ship, and the wights, and the curses of younger like Cristobal Scion and other folk too stupid to know better than to leave the old things alone with their dust?"

Return to “Dort Archive”