Ursa: Pride and Prejudice (Early ET)

Moderator: Mods

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Ursa: Pride and Prejudice (Early ET)

Post by Xenovia Canace »

The young Kanthrop ran along as swiftly as her long legs would carry her -- which was, in fact, quite fast. Having spent plenty of free time running along in the woods with reckless abandon, she now employed that knowledge to guide her along toward the descending ship. Yet now she also had her instincts -- the sharper hearing and sight of her Inner Animal, its guidance and knowledge. Details were sharper and she found herself able to move faster, if only because she saw her obstacles sooner and avoided them more easily. Xenovia was careful, however, to stay near to the trees, lest they spot her advancement upon them. From such a high point, no doubt they could see much, and she was not going to risk them catching sight of her. Looking up when she could, both to check the time and the angle of descent, her thoughts were consumed with the danger of the Cryers, as well as the potential danger of the new visitors.

Yet judging from Niamh's report, they were not here for an attack. They wanted to find out more about Ursa. They came with weapons, but so did Xen. Surely it would be far better to be prepared than to be caught unaware and lacking in the proper equipment. "You should be careful about contact with outlanders. They will not understand us, hunt us like animals and kill us if they see a threat. Or worse, capture and cage us." Oni's words returned to Xenovia as a warning, yet despite her teachings Xen found her curiosity growing. She had lived all her life as a Kanthrop, secluded, surrounded by her own people and their ways of life. What other way to live was there? If the Panlings could move through the sky without wings, what other abilities did they have? Xenovia was still young, and not so rooted to old ways as her elders were.

Elsewhere, she imagined that the elders were still sitting around deciding what they should do, rather than taking action. She had no idea they had been so swift to come to a decision, perhaps if she had known she would have waited -- especially upon learning that her friendly rival, Niamh, was to lead the scouting group. The young kit's actions had found approval in the eyes of the Kanthans, and Oni had selected her to form the scouting party and examine their guests more closely. Of course, this may have further injured Xen's pride, for Niamh was a year older than Xenovia and had only just learned to shift. It had been enough of a blow to her ego that she'd been dismissed by Oni; enough to make her light out on her own, to prove that she was more efficient in action rather than simply 'preparing' as she'd been bade to do.

So, as Xenovia ran along eagerly and somewhat angrily, Niamh was left to her task and the newly-arrived group was getting ready to set out. Unbeknownst to Quinlan, Guido, and the rest of the landing party, they were nearer to the inhabitants of Ursa than they realized -- or nearer, at least, to one of them, as one of them advanced on their location.

She would run and run without tiring, regardless of what her body told her, until the ship was within sight or its crew was within earshot. Then Xenovia's advance would become slower and as silent as possible, lest they become alerted to her presence. She wanted to learn as much about them as she could before they learned anything about her.
Last edited by Xenovia Canace on Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Niamh Windwalker
Civus

Post by Niamh Windwalker »

A cloaked and hooded company filed swiftly into the forest before the sun had drooped more than two fingerspans in the sky, Niamh charging carefully at their fore, her movements swift but cautious. Her sandaled feet sought beds of needles and wilted, still soft leaves as she traced an unerring line towards the Festival grounds. Large stones and steady flat logs found the group traipsing along the tops, leaving as little marks of their presence as possible. To Niamh, she couldn't help but marvel, at the gentle tread of footsteps behind her, of the sudden change in circumstances. Trust was a heady brew indeed.

A bow, primed and ready, was slung over one shoulder, a quiver dangled from the binding wrapped about her waist, primed with a handful of arrows. Neither were hers, but in the rush before departure, she had not the time or desire to complain. Two small knives were bound securely at her waist, the leather wrapped handles pressing into her gut with every stretch and twist of her rapid pace.

With speed of wings to make up for the time to change, she expected one of two others of her flying kin to swoop by her at any moment from their own aerial reconnaisance, directing her more accurately to the intruders.

The creature within lent wings to her feet, allowing her to move and sidle and weave among the broken earth and trees. Eyes grasped at the distance, her dark and yellow orbs seeking to pierce the veil of the forest for any glimmer or sign of the intruders. As the trees thinned and landscape began to vary, one hand lifted to slow her companions to more cautious movement.

What would they discover? As soon as they caught sight of movements, or the contraption and people aboard it, she would motion nearly half the scouts in one direction and half to the opposite, carefully surrounding the place from as many different directions as possible.

Niamh's plan was simple. Should the strangers emerge and seek to pass their silent observers, one of her flying kin, probably Oni would be sent back to warn the village. If there was something of note, one of the other scouts would call her in the same way.

'Watch and observe,' she had quietly hissed at each group as they moved to take their places, well back from view. Should any Cryers seek to disrupt the evening's shadows, she hoped they could hold them off without revealing their presence. Ursa, let us hope you will grant us the strength to maintain our honor... All her energies, now, focused on remaining unobserved, her movements moved with a breath of air and paused with the stillness of leaves. Her ears tuned in to the slightest whisper, the changes in wildlife, the bumblings of the Sleepers who wouldn't know this land.

Unaware of Xenovia's presence, any sign of her childhood companion might be misconstrued, but would hopefully resolve itself quicly. A swift and whispered explanation of their task would accompany any of the other scouts if she were seen.

Niamh glanced to her side, wishing that she'd kept one scout at her side to watch her back. As she eased carefully between shadows, she sought a perch or nook that would lend visibility and security.
Last edited by Niamh Windwalker on Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-------------------------
Avatar courtesy of Kyena via http://www.allavatars.com
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

Post by Quinlan Corodin »

Nearby the airskiff's landing site, the expedition prepared to make camp as had been decided. Quinlan was a little disappointed to have finally landed on Terra Nova only to settle in for the evening, but his better judgement told him that fools rushed in. Noone ever liked to wait, but he knew the decision was a wise one, and it wasn't as if there was nothing to investigate right where they were. The lieutenant volunteered himself, Moschini, and Generici to scout and gather materials a short distance from where Quinlan expected Sergeant Ardigo would oversee the creation of camp.

The officer knelt some paces away, scanning the countryside and the edge of the forest. He felt he was an amateur in terms of the scholarly, but that didn't hinder his curious nature. Many mysteries with this place, but what can we see? What can we tell? he challenged himself.

"Oh, don't walk through t'ere, now. Those little bushes will make you itchy."

Quinlan heard Conall's voice in a memory. He unconsciously took a deep breath.

"How do you know that, Pappaw?"

The corners of Quinlans mouth curled up. Not even two yahren old, "Pappaw" was what he had managed to say when first talking to his grandfather, and it had stuck. Even now, a man and legion officer, it was often what came to mind when he thought of Conall.

"Ha! Experience my lad. I've stomped t'rough them enough myself t' know. Just watch for t'ose kind o' leaves when you're in t'ese woods."

The horseman and woodworker often took his grandson with him as he went looking for materials for a pet project. They were some of Quinlan's fondest memories.

"How about this tree?" "Nope, the wood's too soft for what I want t' do. Besides, t'ere's some birdies living up t'ere. Have a look, Quinlan."

Quinlan sighed, feeling calmer. What an odd time for nostalgia, he thought, although it did cause him to stop and truly look at the landscape. What were the plants like? The trees? Fleshy, leafy? Similar to what he had glimpsed of Aveas? Did the ground seem hard or soft? What signs might the weather have left?

"Well then, thank you grandfather. Pappaw," he mumbled, glancing up at the sky as he stood. "I'll keep my eyes wide open. No excuse for missing something important right in front of me." He had changed his mind, deciding he was glad not to be pressing on toward the village quite yet, after all.
Last edited by Quinlan Corodin on Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

Watching the soldiers busily prepare the campsite, the young curator felt somewhat superfluous to proceedings. Whilst he had been out on one or two minor field trips during his time at the library, this was his first major expedition and constructing a campsite was well outside his realm of experience. In truth, Guido was not a very practical fellow. His attempts to help out in his brother’s carpentry shop had inevitably been a disaster. Chairs with legs of four different lengths were not currently in fashion in the Mouth and so he had wisely gravitated to the bookkeeping side of the business. However, his pleasure in the intricacies of accounting had paled after a while and so he had found himself at the library in search of something new. Well, I certainly got my wish.

Spotting the Condotierre Lieutenant a few paces from the main camp, Guido sauntered in his direction, keeping his eyes on the nearby forest.

“Have you seen anything of interest in the forest, Lieutenant? I can still recall the terrible howling we heard earlier.” Oh, why did I have to remind myself of that.
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

Dusk was setting in as the Kanthrop moved through the forest. Well armed and ready, Niamh's group was prepared for anything. Oni had joined them in bird form, aswell as a few others, flying nearby and overhead, keeping an eye out for Cryers and outlanders. Her teams consisted of seasoned hunters mostly, Petran had granted her the assistance of some of his panther pupils, Culwago speeding along with the second group in his deep black shape. Tugal, a tiger warper was with her, running close by, a blur almost of gold and black in the shadows.

They closed in quickly on the Festival grounds, the path twisting closer to the lake, removing them from the cover of the woodland soon. The path trailed upto the stone plateau alongside the lakeside, whereas the forest stretched off to the east.

---

Ahead of them, Xenovia had a good head start on the others. She arrived at the Festival grounds just as Quinlan approached the forest edge and inspected the lay of the land. There was still a good distance between them though as she had been able to see the skiff through the woods for a burn or two already. Her frame still hidden in the woodland, she could still not prevent some leaves from stirring before she could properly react to the appearance of this one person looking almost directly at her though.

---

Sergeant Ardigo was ordering his men about like he would on an every day field training excersise. He had them get tents and materials from the hold of the skiff, and had a camp set up within no more than thirty burns, before approaching Quinlan while his men started a fire and got provisions ready, offering to set up field beds for the non military personel. "Guard duty has been assigned lieutenant. The camp is almost ready and we should have a good fire going before nightfall. What are your orders?"

Meanwhile, Lady Serafini and Este Donelli had taken seats by the starting fire, Carlotta was observing the landscape aswell, much like Quinlan was doing, but with a different look in her eyes. She scribbled down random notes on pieces of parchment while Este Donelli leisurely took the time to uncork a bottle of fine wine he had brought along. "Gentlemen, and lady, would you join me for a toast?" He poured a few glasses which had miraculously survived a perilous journey, having been packed in a small wooden box filled with linen and straw. "I say a good job done to our Master LeForestier and a promising start in this new land. This calls for a good drink."

LeForestier approached and took one of the glasses, Carlotta taking one aswell, somewhat absentmindedly. Quinlan and Guido were also offered a glass. The crew and soldiers went about their duties, jealously looking at the good vintage wine but knowing that their job was just starting.

---

"Rawr!" Tugal roared and stopped in his track. His fur wet from running, he turned his fierce looking head to sniff the air around him, his large golden eyes piercing the onset of darkness in the Howling Forest.

Niamh heard them aswell...the whispers...The dark and deadly voices she had heard clearly at Cryers Peak. They were there, piercing the dark, still a ways away but coming, impending.

They will join us aswell...

None will have the dream of Kanthanar...
Last edited by Brytan on Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

The skiff had been in her sights for at least a burn by now, and as Xenovia moved as quietly as possible through the forest she continued to speculate on the matter at hand. The Cryers will not be merciful just because they are not Kanthrop, she had decided. They should be warned, or at least protected. Chancing a look up at the sky to gauge the time, Xen lowered her keen eyes again to the edge of the forest -- and was shocked to find someone standing there. He had been gazing upward, but as his head began to lower again she came to realize that Quinlan would soon be looking almost directly at her.

Without wasting even half of a flicker she whipped herself around behind a tree with blurring speed, cursing inwardly as her sandaled foot met with a cluster of dried leaves in the process. Her slender frame was easily hidden behind the wide trunk, but she did not dare to move, pressed flatly against the bark. As she glanced down at the sharp contrast of her pallid skin against the darkness of the wood and the ground around her, Xenovia wondered why she'd not had the sense to find herself a cloak. I am like a flame among shadows. She should not have been in a hurry. Well they should not have dismissed me. Regardless, it was important that she not yet be discovered.

She was straining to hear any evidence that she had been seen, and her keen ears were quick to catch the sound of another's approach to the edge of the forest, as well as the words he spoke. So, they'd heard the Cryers. They aren't concerned, she realized with mild dismay. Their ignorance could kill them. Yet then she realized that she could understand their language. Well, that was good. She could communicate with them if necessary.

Carefully, Xen loosened the pouch at her side that held the stones she used for ammunition, taking one between her long fingers and withdrawing it. Then, with careful aim, she cast the stone back into the woods to collide with the brush. Perhaps this would bring the intruder to think he'd heard naught but an animal moving through the forest, and that it was making its way away from their camp. She certainly didn't need him tramping through the forest trying to find her, or sending one or more of his men to do the same.

The crackle of flame upon wood told her that they had started a fire, and she was glad at least for that much. The Cryers would avoid that light. Yet it seemed a hollow victory, for she was quick to remember how a fierce wind had all but extinguished her fire as she'd stood guard that fateful evening.

It was not until she heard two more voices speak that Xenovia dared move from her position. She crouched as silently as a dandelion's seeds float upon the wind, her long limbs contracting to lower her toned frame to the ground. There was still plenty of brush between herself and those near the forest, and this she kept near to for shielding, her eyes on the ground, watching for any more patches of dried leaves. Occasionally she glanced furtively up, to make sure she could not be seen. Like a spider she moved, her torso inches from the forest floor, limbs bending and flexing round her frame as if she were made of fluid. She would find her way to another tree from which she could spy, and then peer 'round it, to survey the camp of the intruders and those within it.
Last edited by Xenovia Canace on Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niamh Windwalker
Civus

Niamh watched the land warpers, their darker shapes and lowlying bodies better suited to the spare protection of the lake-side cover while she and Tugal and several others kept to the trees. She watched her companion, thankful his coloring was suited to the light and dark of scattered trunks and thinning forest.

Niamh hushed Tugal rapidly, one hand stretching out to light settled on his nose as her bird-like eyes stared deeply into his from beneath the low cowl of her hood.

"I hear them as well, Tugal... but we would not want to attract the ire of the intruders, it would do poorly if they were to fancy you for a rug." Despite the light-heartedness of her latter words, the playful kit looked all seriousness.

"But how to warn them, without revealing our own position?" Niamh breathed, her voice barely audible, seeking to identify the commingling scents, separating them, identifying their origins. How to startle them, without revealing ourselves?

Her steps had slowed and halted briefly, as she puzzled out the difficulty.

"Tugal, prey... something large... a boar, a buck... something you could drive into their camp." Her eyes burned into her Tiger companion's, seeking his acceptance of her task. "Can you scent anything nearby? Something you could frighten... but not mark? If so, go, frighten it this way... I will seek also to steer it into the clearing. If not, stay by my side, we will have to devise another method..."

The flickers of speech could not completely halt her movement, and she paced carefully forward, eyes flickering twixt feet, foliage and festival grounds. As she surveyed the nearing encampment, and the inconstant trees, she began to wonder if their goal of protecting these foolish intruders might be for naught. Without flame or light, what hope do we have of fighting among the shadows? With such, how do we prevent discovery? The spirit within stirred, and her heart quickened as adrenaline again sped through her system. Hush, still, she gently chastized it. The wild thing inside of her disliked the whispers, struggling in memory of that cold clutch of fear given tangible form. We defeated them before, they are not invulnerable...

But despite her self-reassurances, Niamh knew that dawn would be a long time coming, and felt for the pouch at her waist, feeling for the fire stones and sap-soaked strips of fabric contained there. Each of her human-formed troupe carried these, but such a resort would be used only if they had no other option. Let us hope the Cryers don't hold grudges...
Last edited by Niamh Windwalker on Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

Quinlan narrowed his eyes in the direction of the scuffling sound. What's this? It didn't enter his mind to venture any closer to the woods, though he was interested in spotting one of the local animals if he could. Maybe the fauna will be new and different, too. Something we haven't seen before...

He was diverted by Guido, and turned to face him as he approached.

"Hm? Oh, just having a look around is all." He looked back at the woods' edge, his gaze harder than the moment before. Being reminded of the howling didn't do wonders for him, either, and his shoulders tensed. "I wouldn't worry much," he reassured the curator and himself. "Just...the native wildlife. Probably more fearful of us than we are of it."

The noise in the woods came again, and sounded further away. Satisfied for the moment that his point was proven, he looked back at Guido with a little smile and a shrug.

The two didn't have long to sightsee before Sergeant Ardigo approached with his update.

"Ah...that didn't take long at all. Thank you, sergeant," the lieutenant said with a slight grimace. The camp had been made while he was woolgathering, and he was embarrassed at not being more help. "I'm willing to take a shift at watch myself, if need be," he stressed to his second officer. "I always want someone to keep an eye out, though we should keep the shifts short. We don't want anyone missing too much sleep."

Quinlan waved a hand toward the rest of the group as the envoy began giving his toast.

"Shall we join them?" Quinlan followed behind the other two men, glancing over his shoulder once more as he went.

Returning to the others as they began to partake in Donelli's vintage, Quinlan politely declined to take a glass for himself though he echoed praise for the warrant officer. The officer considered himself to be on duty. He intended to set as good an example as he could for the other Condotierre, whose looks of envy were not totally unnoticed.

Clasping his hands behind his back, he hovered off to the side as everyone came together. He watched Carlotta Serafini for a moment, passively admiring her distinctively Mouthie features. He wanted to take a peek at some of the notes she had been making. But of course, looking over someone's shoulder was rude. He also observed Guido, who seemed to Quinlan a little unsettled now and then since the trip had began.

"Have everything you need? Settling in?" he inquired quietly, moving nearer the curator. "Not too late yet to fetch something off the skiff." He touched a finger to his chin, trying to think of anything he, too, might've forgotten. "You know, you still have to tell me about those mechanical mice and what-not, nevermind what we find here."

"When shall we take dinner?" he mentioned after a few burns and looking around at the others, the envoy in particular.
Last edited by Quinlan Corodin on Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Guido Cercatoro

Hearing the scuffling sound emanating from the forest, Guido peered intently towards the source of the noise. He retrieved his telescope from where he had concealed it inside his jacket and looked through the eyepiece in the direction of the sound. I can’t imagine this will be very useful in this forest but you never know. After all it is Sfidante’s lucky telescope.

The curator smiled at Quinlan’s attempted reassurance. “You are probably right, yet that howling unnerves me. Whoever or whatever is making the noise doesn’t sound scared. I’d be pretty sure of myself if I could make a noise like that.”

Guido accompanied Quinlan back to the main group but, unlike the soldier, the historian readily accepted the wine. Watching Serafini talking notes also reminded Guido that he had better write his own account of the journey so far before settling down for the night. So much to say, yet so much remains uncertain.

"Have everything you need? Settling in?" he inquired quietly, moving nearer the curator. "Not too late yet to fetch something off the skiff."

“I have everything I need,” said the curator. “Most things are in my backpack which I brought off the skiff or on my person. And I have my sword, of course, here at my side, should I need to use it.”

"You know, you still have to tell me about those mechanical mice and what-not, nevermind what we find here."

"Oh the mice,” smiled Guido, pleased that the Condottiere had remembered the adventure. “As soon as we have had something to eat and drink I will be happy to tell the tale, for a fine one it is. Although there are some mysteries still to resolve.”
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"Tugal, prey... something large... a boar, a buck... something you could drive into their camp." Her eyes burned into her Tiger companion's, seeking his acceptance of her task. "Can you scent anything nearby? Something you could frighten... but not mark? If so, go, frighten it this way... I will seek also to steer it into the clearing. If not, stay by my side, we will have to devise another method..."

Tugal nodded his fierce head. He sniffed the air and took off to the east, passing the second group who had advanced only slightly beyond their own position. The hunters had slowed their rapid progression through the forest to a careful crawl as the silhouette of the skiff became readily visible now that the forest was thinning and the descending sun cast long shadows towards them, offsetting the wooden structure against the remains of the once proud and holy Festival Grounds.

Oni swooped across the camp site of the Tal Fea, clearly visible for all in the camp to see, circling a few times, climbing as she went before flying back to Niamh and perching herself on a low branch of a broken tree nearby. "There are roughly ten in the camp, they have a fire going and seem to be unaware of our presence. Their guards seem armed, though their weapons are foreign. Xenovia is hiding along the forest edge to our north, observing the outlanders herself. They do not seem to have detected her."

---

Xenovia detected Oni though. Her tell tale deck of feathers clearly visible as the Kanthan shot over the outlander camp and circling a few times before shooting off back into the forest. Her keen ears detected voices and movement behind her, perhaps only a few burns away through the woods. The whispers had not gone unnoticed, growing in intensity aswell, closing on her location as the cold of the eveningtide engulfed her in her crouched position, starting to numb her bones as she sat and observed the goings on in the camp.

---

"When shall we take dinner?" he mentioned after a few burns and looking around at the others, the envoy in particular.

Donelli smiled as he lounged in his makeshift chair and sniffed the subtle aroma of the fine Mouth vintage before taking a careful sip, observing the splendid sunset over the mountains. "Once we have a proper fire, I could do with some food. And I should say we should have a good meal in our stomachs before retiring. Who knows when the last time will be when we get a decent meal."

His care free comment went paired with a frown from Sergeant Ardigo who was standing behind the envoy as he spoke and was checking the crate of arrows and bolts for the crossbows and bows that had been brought, should any game hunting be needed.

---

A bestial roar echo'ed through the woods. Cracking of twigs and the rustling of bushes and leaves came roughly ten burns after Tugal had set of into the forest. Out of the woods came the fierce tiger warper, but rather than chasing anything it seemed to be fleeing from something. In the darkness of the forest canopy, a fog started to build and the cold became tangible as shadow encroached on the two scouting groups.

"The Cryers!" Oni exclaimed. "They have smelled blood." Tugal halted near to the scouting party, now completed by Culwago, Tess and Kiare who had been a bit away but had quickly rejoined their fellows. "What should we do Oni?" Tess, a seasoned huntress and fellow hawk warper turned to her Kanthan automatically, eyes wide with fear.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

Niamh Windwalker
Civus

Before Niamh could respond to Oni, her half-formed plan of putting the intruders on the alert vanished, along with her hopes of remaining discreet. Her active mind, normally bent on mischief, now lent itself to the dangers that Kanthrop faced. They will kill the warpers on sight, if they feel threatened, they will not realize we are not the threat! The spirit within pounded, and she wondered the intruder's could not hear such an erratic tempo, and thereby discover their presence.

"Circle!" She urged, before Oni could respond, and snatching any branch in sight, she yanked free the sap covered strips of fabric from her pouch, winding them tightly on one end. How could the Elders not realize, that any defense we must make would also reveal our presence? "Light flame, the intruders are too exposed for us to defend them from all sides, they must be warned!" The expanse between their encampment and the trees might be their saving, but Niamh was now more concerned for her kindred. What havoc might the intruders wreak, should they, affrighted, attack the shifted forms of her comrades?

Without waiting for a response, she thrust the waiting torch into the hands of a companion, along with the fire stones, and darted off, her toes and eyes finding the quiet places as she strained her legs forwards to seek Xenovia. Past arguments mattered little at such a time, and the stalwart youth was one she would never regret at her back. She dropped to a crouch, her movements furtive, her hands finding placement when knees or feet were insufficient to maintain quiet.

"Xen?" The low voice, hopefully too quiet for distant ears, was one she also hoped her fellow Kanthrop would catch. A flicker of something caught her eyes, a shifting of movement, an uncertain whisper of branches unstirred by wind. She could almost see a shadow within a shadow, but unlike the Cryer's this one bore warmth and flesh and the promise of a like mind. At least, she hoped it did. For certain, it was not one of those others that she could barely discern past the fringe of the forest. For all her caution, Xenovia had not sought to prevent herself from being spotted from behind.... "It is Niamh...."

Hooded in her cloak, she whispered rapidly as her senses extended, eyes darting, ears straining, the accumulating scents of her surroundings filling her nostrils.

"Xen? Tugal's cry - our scouting party cannot defend this exposed place easily, they must be warned..." a pause, as she caught her breath. "And If they see a shifter, not knowing the true enemy..."

"Can you see anything? Do they prepare??"

Niamh, in her almost billowing cloak, was on the tips of the toes she crouched upon, her fingers digging into the familiar, musty loam, as if to draw strength from it. Her own sight was obscured from her distance to Xenovia's placement, and though she could distinguish glimpses and movements beyond the cover of the leaves and bushes, the other had watched for longer, had better knowledge of the current state of affairs.

"If I go, will you guard my back?"
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Fearful of you? It was all Xen could do not to scoff aloud. These intruders had no idea of the trouble they were in. As she flattened herself against the second tree, Xen leaned just slightly and peeked out from around the edge. The sickly sweet scent of the wine reached her nose and she wrinkled it in distaste, then tensed as she heard voices and movement behind her in the woods. Her fears, however, were calmed slightly as a movement in the sky caught her attention, and she spotted Oni's shifted form flying above the intruders' encampment. So, they'd finally caught up with her. Took them long enough, she thought rather smugly. But now was not the time for pride.

A shiver ran through what seemed like her very bones as the cold reached her and the distant whispers of the Cryers tickled at her sensitive ears. This situation is getting worse every moment. How are we to react? They will not know that we are no danger. They might just as soon attack us rather than the Cryers.

It was then that a bestial roar and a frenzy of movement and action in the forest behind her alerted Xenovia to the growing danger. Though they would very likely not hear the hurried motions of her brethren, Xenovia was sure that the intruders would be hard pressed not to notice that roar. But would they know the difference between it and the howling? Would it matter? I must speak to them.

Even as her muscles flexed to lift her from the ground, her name reached her ears, murmured in a low and easily recognized voice. Normally she would have responded with sarcasm or playful remarks, yet now was not the time. Shifting on the balls of her feet to face the area behind her, Xenovia turned in the direction of Niamh's voice, narrowing her bright eyes at the encroaching darkness. Her own voice, sweeter in tone and lighter than her friendly rival's, spoke softly into the shadows. "They do not prepare. They celebrate." Disdain was evident in her tones -- or perhaps it was unhappy concern. Sometimes it was hard to tell with her. "There are not many of them." They would be crushed.

For a moment she considered Niamh's choice. She herself had decided only moments before that this was necessary, yet the thought of Niamh doing the same made her feel somewhat uncomfortable. Though Xen would never admit that she felt protective of her rival -- though she was smaller, Niamh was still older than Xen -- she did not like the idea of sending her out into the middle of an encampment of strange people with strange ways.

"Don't..." Hm, how to say this. Though she could not see her well in the darkness, Xenovia could hear the weight of the cloak around Niamh's usually slight frame. This gave her an idea. "Take your cloak off, it may scare them, and when the Cryers attack it will inhibit your movements. We will speak to them together. There isn't much time." Rocking forward onto the balls of her feet and standing in a swift movement so that Niamh would have no time to disagree, Xenovia waited for her companion for a few brief flickers before turning and stepping out from behind the tree. She made as much noise as she could as she shuffled through what was left of the forest toward the encampment.

Just before she emerged from the forest she lifted her chin and squared her shoulders, trying to look older and stronger than she felt. "We request an audience," she called out in a strong and authoritative tone, pausing just outside the edge of the forest, in clear view of the encampment.

It was a strange woman that emerged from the forest, standing almost six feet tall and wearing naught but a strange wrapping around her lanky frame. Her skin was so white that at first it might have seemed as if she were little more than a walking cadaver, but the way she stood and the tone in her muscular limbs made it clear that she was quite healthy. Her hair was long and somewhat tangled, sections braided and adorned with feathers. It reached nearly to the backs of her knees, tied back behind her head, the dark locks strangely interrupted by random shocks of white. To them she would appear tribal and uncivilized, no doubt, but it was her eyes that demanded their attention. Their depths were a mix of gold that could not at all be described as human, and the way her large pupils trained and dilated upon them suggested an awareness that was also beyond normality. She still held her spear in hand (for she was rarely seen without it), but nothing about Xenovia suggested aggression. She was careful to make sure of this, ere turning her head and looking in Niamh's direction. Xen had caught their attention, but Niamh was more aware of the situation than she.
Last edited by Xenovia Canace on Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niamh Windwalker
Civus

This wasn't what she had intended at all! Xenovia's words and swift action left Niamh disgruntled, slightly uncertain for a flicker. A word of warning, and then depart! That was all that was needed! Her spirit fretted at the idea even as her steps leaped to follow those of Xenovia's, her cloak still swathing her frame. Of course, Xenovia had no idea of who had been set in charge of the scouting party. For the first time in her life, Niamh had a fair glimpse of what her own rash actions meant to those who must then rearrange themselves to suit a new situation.

Niamh's cloaked form rose out of the slanting shadows of the setting sun barely half a step behind her companion. The limbs glimpsed therein were likewise strong, limber, taut with suspicion. This newcomer was shorter than the other, but seemed as much at ease among wild things. Her narrow feet bore simple leather soles and an intricate weaving of leather laces, and were the majority of what they might see. A bow was slung across her back, and a quiver dangled in and out of view from where it hung from her belt.

"An audience from those who desecrate our holy places." Niamh's voice rang out after Xenovia's, deeply feminine, melodious, and ominously even. She couldn't repress an amused, hidden smile from within the darkness of her cowl at the part she played, styling her challenge after many a character she had described in her stories to younger kits. Yet the seriousness of the situation sobered her quickly. "Even so, we come to warn you of approaching danger." Her head swiveled unerringly to Quinlan, the figure she had seen commanding the others.

She cast her own brief glance Xenovia's way, and a stray glint of light stretched it's finger within her hood, casting an odd brief glint to the eyes hidden within. Ursa guide us, protect us from the Cryer's... and these strangers...

In the following silence, her eyes searched the company.
Last edited by Niamh Windwalker on Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

Donelli's words left Quinlan bemused. He could see the quirky sense it made, and was fully prepared to eat his share. But, he could respect the good sergeant's annoyance. Patience was not something that had stood out in Quinlan's first impression of the man.

"I'll unpack some of our rations," he volunteered, partly as a peacekeeping effort. "But I'm no cook, so you'll have...to..."

The roar from the woods stopped the officer in his tracks. His head snapped toward the forest's edge, and in his mind he heard Guido mention the howling once again. For an instant, he cynically figured he would have to eat his words about the animals being fearful. He might have laughed at the irony if he didn't have to worry about the party being eaten.

Quinlan had yet to take two steps before two haunting figures emerged from the woods, and he couldn't help but gape. It appeared the people of Terra Nova had not waited for the expedition to come to them.

The words of the cloaked woman in particular made the core of him tighten. Desecrate? How were we... Lines appeared in his forehead as he tried to think quickly. Warn us? A pit formed in his stomach as it began to occur to him that their peaceful mission might be in serious jeopardy.

"Steady...steady men," he urged, raising his hand. He intended to prevent a hasty reaction from the others. As surprising as the appearance was, the two women didn't seem threatening at the moment.

Slowly, he began to step toward the tree line once again, toward the pair of visitors. As he walked to the side of Sergeant Ardigo, Quinlan turned his hazel eyes to him, hoping to catch Ardigo's gaze with a meaningful look as he passed. Be ready, he willed the soldier. The first two had come out of nowhere, and it was a natural assumption that more could be waiting.

Quinlan halted just short of where he had been previously looking around the landscape. Here he stopped, holding himself high and meeting the golden-eyed gaze of the first. The tall lieutenant noted she could only be a few inches shorter than himself. Her pallor, her primal appearance was at once strange and fascinating. A stark contrast to he, with his short groomed blonde hair, black knee-high boots, and the clean blue and silver lines of his legion's uniform.

It was doubtful that anyone could ignore the spear she carried, and Quinlan's right fist clenched and relaxed, unconsciously stretching at the leather bracer around his wrist. But, his arms remained at his sides, matching the good faith shown by the visitors.

The other female was slightly more unsettling in the way her cloak hid her features, and in the ominous words she chimed. To Quinlan, it seemed less honest than the way the first approached.

The officer squared his broad shoulders, and faced with the very object of the mission, a few words occured to him. It also occured to him to simply wait for the envoy to speak, but the cloaked one had said the danger was approaching after all. And so, his answer was simple enough.

"Danger?" Quinlan's baritone voice rang back. "What do you mean, danger?"
Last edited by Quinlan Corodin on Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Guido Cercatoro

It was just as he was pondering the details of the story he was to tell Quinlan that Guido heard the roar from the forest. His head turned immediately towards the trees, seeking to penetrate the forest gloom with his bright blue eyes. Blinking nervously, his hand fell almost inadvertently to hover momentarily above his sword as he heard the sound of movement from the forest edge.

Quinlan had only taken a few steps towards the forest before two figures emerged. The first, a tall pale-skinned woman with braided hair clasped a spear in her hand, yet there was no obvious evidence of outright hostility in the woman’s manner. In his brown jerkin, white shirt, felt hat and gaudy green scarf, the curator felt incongruously dressed as he observed the native woman. A tribal culture, perhaps? Yet the way she moves with such assurance….

If the first woman appeared open and straightforward, the second was a smaller, cloaked and somehow more ominous figure. Whether the woman’s appearance reflected a desire for concealment or a simple reticence in the presence of strangers was impossible to ascertain, yet she moved with a similar assurance to the first woman.

The cowled figure’s mention of desecration rang warning bells in the historian’s head. He was sufficiently versed in the ways of primitive culture’s from his time studying in the library to recognise that intruding on sacred places was a potentially disastrous start for the first encounter with the natives of Terra Nova. Whilst Quinlan’s concern was properly with the nature of the danger of which the two new arrivals sought to bring warning, Guido’s concern was to establish a friendly dialogue.

Time for you to take a hand, historian. Moving his hand away from his sword, Guido spoke in what he hoped was a slow, measured manner. “We welcome you to our camp,” he began. Good start. Keep it up. “If we have intruded on your sacred places, then forgive us, we had no intention to offend. We are strangers here and are not versed in your ways.”

The effort of this speech had used up all Guido’s reserves of calm and the unsettling feeling that had pervaded his stomach ever since he had travelled through the portal began once again to overcome the curator. Keep calm, Guido. You are an ambassador for your people. Present at a historic meeting. Remember your lessons. The curator’s mind focused on the training he had been given at the library. He recalled the many hours spent crossed-legged on the floor whilst Milanas had entreated Guido to empty his mind to achieve a degree of inner calm. At first, the young curator had found this impossible but eventually he had had some success by focusing on the image of his scarf, slowly unfolding and blotting out the complexities of the world before his eyes. He found by doing this he could reduce any scene to its simplest elements and sustain a degree of calmness that he had previously thought impossible,

Guido closed his eyes for a flicker whilst running through his mind calming exercise. Once he had achieved the required results, he re-opened his eyes and beamed out his most charming smile at the newcomers. Beneath the cowl of the second woman, he thought he caught a glimpse of a pair of eyes searching around the camp. He sought to catch those eyes with his own to convey a feeling of calmness, serenity and reassurance.
Niamh Windwalker
Civus

OOC: Want to try another round of conversation before Brytan arrives?

IC:Niamh watched Quinlan and resisted the urge to take a step even farther back at his approach, her eyes on the soldiers. She trusted they would listen to him, but her eyes flickered rapidly as they might beneath the cowl. Now that she was here, in the midst of these Sleepers, all the dangers of such interactions began to blossom in her mind. 'The foxes think strangely, have different desires.. were they to discover you, out beyond the safety of our land... they would likely entrap you, cage you, make play of your novelty...' The words rose in her mind, from a late night around the campfire with a scout newly returned from beyond Ursa's Heart...

"Danger?" Quinlan's baritone voice rang back. "What do you mean, danger?"

"They come... Cryers. Shadows given life. They come in the night, and hunger for our kind. You must build your fires high, and quickly, and pray for a swift dawn, for their only fear is light." She swallowed, her mouth dry, heart pounding as she noted the numbers of those arrayed against? them. "We warn you, for..." she glanced towards Xenovia, wishing to find further words of caution without betraying her kindred to these who most certainly sought their own ends.

"For the beasts of this land are under our protection, they will not harm you, but have given us warning that the Cryers approach." There was intensity in her words, urgency, as if this was something that must not be questioned. She tossed her head slightly, allowing the cowl to sidle back a trifle so she might better eye those of her surroundings. Her shadowed features were still difficult to determine, but one could perhaps glimpse the vague curve of chin, nose and cheek, and a deep-set space above wherein eyes not dissimilar from her companions peered.

Time for you to take a hand, historian. Moving his hand away from his sword, Guido spoke in what he hoped was a slow, measured manner. “We welcome you to our camp,” he began. Good start. Keep it up. “If we have intruded on your sacred places, then forgive us, we had no intention to offend. We are strangers here and are not versed in your ways.”

Niamh did not speak, but she watched the tall, gangly figure remove his hand from his sword. Listened to the words he had spoken, head cocked slightly to one side. She had taken less notice of him before, upon the ship, but for him to speak meant he must have some authority in this company. The festival grounds were already in ruins... she argued with herself, and yet, it seemed sacrilegious to have these strangers treading ground that had bourn the feet of countless Kanthrop as they reached that moment twixt Kit and Adult. Guido, with the strangeness of his bright blue orbs, caught and held her wild gaze, unblinking beneath her hood, intense as a bird of prey. Perhaps that direct gaze allowed a flicker or two of silent exchange between the two, though Niamh knew not quite what to do with what she found in this stranger's face. For her own part, resentment and curiosity mixed with an intense awareness of immediate danger. Were she a creature, her hackles would be raised.

"You are not wanted here." Her voice emerged more calmly, less challenging, but heavy and firm as she stated the bald truth. Her eyes traced those prepared for battle, adorned in weapons and strange armor, and in that split-second found the gangly stranger, Guido, though also weapon bearing, less threatening to her and her kind. These words she directed to him, "But we protect our honor. We have warned you. We cannot allow them to leave your blood on our hands." She took a step back, half-uncertain, now that the words had been spoken and duty performed, how she and Xenovia might extricate themselves from the situation.

One tanned hand emerged to lightly grip her companion's wrist, the contrast of pale and dark clear in the twilight of sunset. It was a loose grasp easily released at Xenovia's first movement, but signaled to her companion that she had said what must be said, intending nothing more.

"What now?" She breathed the words, quietly, knowing the range of her companion's senses, and that the Sleepers arrayed nearby were not likely to hear. Her own senses found some aversion to the strange woods and scents of the people assembled here, only the fire, sputtering and crackling as it consumed the wood at it's heart, seemed familiar.
Last edited by Niamh Windwalker on Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

OOC: Oh, you hyperposters you...forcing me out of my dark hole early. Beware the wrath of the angry mod ;) But by all means, take a day or two to continue the lovely conversation.

Niamh's group was shocked when she spoke, acting before their Kanthan did. Unused to the young leading the old, it took them a while to adjust to her orders, looking to Oni for approval. Their Kanthan did not speak however when Niamh dealt out her orders, nodding to her young pupil.

And there she went...

---

"We need to be quick, darkness is upon us." Oni then spoke to the others, which set actions in motion and made the group rally to light torches and form a circle, the warped in the middle, the others readying arms and flame. Kiare sounded a horn, which resounded through the woods. A warning they had taken up when the Cryers took their first victims in moons past, to alert the village of their peril. it would resound against the walls of the Skymyst, alerting all in the isle who knew how to listen where their kin were in danger.

---

The horn sounded shortly after Niamh and Xenovia had stepped forward from the forest edge. Quinlan and Guido each with their own concerns. Sergeant Ardigo had seen the look in Quinlan's eyes oft before, and he sent it to his own men, who readied themselves behind the two who had taken the place of envoy.

Donelli had spilled his wine.

Carlotta sat in silent fascination, her quill lying on the cold rock of the Festival Grounds.
Last edited by Brytan on Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

As Niamh spoke of them desecrating their holy grounds, Xenovia's chin lifted slightly, almost defiantly. Her eyes portrayed that she was affronted by their presence, though in actuality she was not overly concerned. The festival grounds had long since been taken from them by the Cryers. Their evil presence had desecrated the grounds long before these strangers came to add to it, but she did not see it as salt on the wound. Attentive to her companion, Xenovia nonetheless focused on each visible stranger in turn. She looked at the way they dressed, the way they stood, even smelled the air to sense their tension and moods, her nostrils flaring gently. Her ears were keen both on their movements and the forest behind her, for at any moment she knew the Cryers would begin their attacks for the evening. Ursa, have mercy on their ignorance.

As Guido stepped forward, Xenovia turned her head rather abruptly and narrowed her eyes slightly, pupils dilating as she examined his auburn hair, his gangly frame, the silly green bit of cloth wrapped around his neck. He was just barely a hair shorter than Quinlan, whose words led her to believe the fair haired man was more of a man of action than learning. Guido's words put her slightly at ease. Here, at least, was someone who obviously wanted to please them. Perhaps he would be able to convince his companions to do the same.

A slight tilt of her head was given as Xenovia sensed the tension the darker haired man was feeling. He is worried. Yet after a brief moment he seemed to calm, and then he smiled at them. This struck her as absurd, and it was only her mistrust of these intruders that kept her from laughing aloud at him. You silly man, you should be worried about the Cryers, not making friends.

As Niamh's hand enclosed her wrist, Xenovia stood ever taller and took one step forward, lowering her spear slowly to make it clear that she would use it if necessary. Her voice was clearer and lighter than that of her companion, but perhaps more commanding, demanding their further attention. "If you do not seek our animosity, you will leave as soon as the sun rises, should you have the good fortune to live through this night. While you are in our lands you will kill no creature that eats meat." These words she emphasized strongly, narrowing a burning glare at Quinlan. "The Cryers are fierce, but we are moreso."

It was then that the horn sounded through the forest, and Xenovia jerked her head up and glanced sidelong into the forest, all her muscles visibly tensing, her heartbeat thudding in her chest. Inwardly, she felt her Inner Animal stirring restlessly. It remembered as well as she the terrors of the Cryers.

There was a new urgency in her words and eyes as Xenovia turned back to the two men whom had spoken and waved her spear irritably. "Go! Create as much light as you can, it's your only hope! There are many exotic creatures on this land, but only the Cryers are your enemies. For now." With those final words of warning, Xen nodded sharply to Niamh and turned, springing back into the forest as swiftly as she had emerged from it.

Now time was of the essence. Xen said nothing to Niamh as she ran at full speed toward the place where she could hear her companions rallying. Good luck, she thought sincerely, for she wished the agony of the Cryers' attack on no creature.
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

Quinlan was glad that Guido had spoken up, too. It was well that the hand of friendship be extended, even if the women weren't entirely interested. Aside from making threats, what they were interested in were Cryers.

Shadow monsters? Quinlan had never heard of such things. Of course, that occurance was something he could probably get used to if the trip continued the way it had been. He wanted to talk, to ask them more questions. But, a horn bellowed within the forest, and the pair were leaving as suddenly as they had came, only repeating their warning.

Quinlan watched them go, weighing their words. Some sort of trick, or tribal superstition? Quinlan's gut told him otherwise, and he began to feel the gravity of the situation.

"Build a fire," he abruptly ordered the legionairres behind him. "You heard them. Build it big, and quickly."

Turning back, he stepped quickly toward where everyone was grouped. All had been anticipating dinner and excited fireside chatting, like a big camping trip. It didn't sound like it would quite turn out that way, and he had to prepare.

"I don't know what a Cryer is," he began matter-of-factly, looking around at the other party members. "But, these oh-so-elusive people marched right up to us, and their first words were to warn us about them. I think it'd be wise to take them seriously." His eyes darted around the site as he tried to think.

"Sergeant, looks like we'll want those crossbows in capable hands tonight, after all." Quinlan planted his fists on his hips as he considered what else they might need. His eyes widened as he remembered the obvious. "Let's get some torches made as well. I want a runner sent with one back to the Tal'Fea to tell them what's happened."

Quinlan started snatching up kindling for the fire, hoping the others would follow suit. Dinner would have to wait.
Guido Cercatoro

If Guido had failed to enter his state of calmness, then the words of the two women would have panicked the youth. However, he heard their warnings with clarity, not fear. Cryers. Shadows given life. Their only fear is light. But more than this, they also warned the strangers not to stay. You are not wanted here. Leave as soon as the sun rises.

You do not want us here, yet you warned us of the danger. If we survive this we cannot leave. Not now we have met you. Curiosity will make us stay.

The cowled woman held his gaze for a few flickers. The curator also saw the taller woman turn to regard him intently, with what appeared to be a strange mixture of tension and amusement. He continued to hold the gaze of the cloaked woman, clearing his mind to form a silent thank you, hoping that at least some part of this would reach the woman. I must not flinch. Respect them but do not show weakness. If they come to warn us when they face danger, then we must also face it head on. If we face it calmly and with dignity they may give us respect and perhaps this will help our quest.

As the tall woman turned to leave, Guido spoke out clearly. “Thank you for your warnings. May your god protect you against these beasts. I wish you well.”

Hearing Quinlan quickly organise the men to create the fire, Guido hurried to help, gathering whatever wood he could for the fire. As soon as he had gathered all that he could, he gave assistance to those making the torches and, hopefully, armed himself with a torch ready to face the danger, yet close to the fire.
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

She moved quickly, gathering armfuls of bracken and deadwood into small bundles, she was stacking them as high as she could near the central blaze. The night was young and that fire had to glow till morning came. Scarlet cursed as splinters pierced her skin, there was no time to tend them. She grunted as she hauled a fallen sapling, no doubt felled by the winter's snows and not yet dry towards the circle. The thicker branches caught on roots and stones causing Scarlet to wrestle more than drag the wood to the fire. Still, the resin in the wood would burn nicely, even if it did fill the sky with smoke.

She dumped the tree by her pile of wood and looked about to see her kin preparing torches. Wasting no time Scarlet opened her quiver onto the bed of leaves that was the forest floor. She took seconds to tear the hem of her Kanthar into strips that she tied swiftly and deftly about the jagged arrowheads. If they feared light, flaming arrows couldn't be a bad idea. She bit her lip to stop it trembling and tried to still the quaking of her heart. She felt the writhing of her inner animal, the second soul that shared this body, as it fed on the adrenaline that sped through her heart. Standing she drove her spare arrows into the soil, leaving the prepared arrows in the quiver at her waist.

She tested the tension on her string and looked up to see Xen break into the circle. There was no time to ask how the envoy had gone, her return said all that was needed. They had permitted her to come and go unharmed and the speed of her return meant that the message had been delivered and understood. The flicker of fires in the distance spoke readily of their compliance. Scarlet smiled despite herself. If the strangers survived the night it would make for an interesting morning.

She checked the daggers in their sheaths before looking between Oni and Xen for guidance, her golden eyes scanning the darkness for Niamh.
Last edited by Scarlet on Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Niamh Windwalker
Civus

Unfortunately for Guido, this kanthrop, at least could not easily distinguish the difference between so many subtle expressions with ease. Did she nod ever so slightly at his words? Having broken their gaze, Guido could not regain it to discover any other clues to their reception. Though the kanthrop preserved her silence, she carefully enclosed the words and observations deep within her, preparing them for the Elders, to do with what they would.

As Xenovia retreated, Niamh stepped backwards carefully, watching the group and her companion's back until her heels reached the forest, then darting into the woods a step or two. Here she paused yet another handful of flickers, behind the covering of trees and shadow, as if to ensure their warning was being followed, eyeing Quinlan and Guido, while listening to any remarks made.

'You will take some to find their camp and watch it, making no more contact than you need to while keeping them safe till the morningtide.' Hawkeye's words reverberated in her mind. This was her first time in authority, and his instructions seemed almost a geas as she fretted that even yet, she might fail.

Several burns behind Xenovia, she found herself pelting, seeking to return to the safety of her kin. The spirit within shuddered, and Niamh stifled the rising panic with a sharp retort. Remember, we defeated them before.

Though the young kanthrop was hardy - the day had been long, and strenous, and even just the warp had taken a great deal out of her. With weariness, one made mistakes, and perhaps more than the Cryers approach, Niamh feared she might betray a weakness they could exploit as she felt the first twinges of unpeaceful aches in her limbs.
Last edited by Niamh Windwalker on Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The darkness fell like a threatening cloud over the isle of Ursa. Shimmering cold crept along the forest floor, it's tendrils a harbinger of the death that followed in it's wake. The Kanthrop were the first to see them, eyes and shifting forms lurking in the darkness between the trees. Cries of agony and threat erupted more and more from the woodland, as if tempting the Kanthrop to run, hide, cover.

When Niamh and Xenovia returned to the place where they had left the rest of their kin, a circle of fire was burning. Twigs, leaves, logs and animal fat had been used to create a safe boundary spanning roughly ten meters in diameter. Oni was sitting in the middle, half way through her shift, feathers still present on her nearly human form. Culwago and Tugal did not dare shift, as it would take them far longer than they had to change back. Longer than the master Kanthan who seemed to transform in mere burns. An opening had been left for the two to enter, which was closed swiftly by Kiara when they had come in.

"They will be upon us soon." She said, fear in her voice. "What will we do?"

Culwago snarled.

The men and women on the Festival Grounds heard and saw the Cryers aswell. Not clearly visible in the new darkness. Shadows seemed to flow back and forth between the trees and the rocks scattered around the airskiff, where many were busy building a high fire amidst the tents, aswell as a few smaller ones along the edges. Ardigo had handed out torches which his men had lit, standing ready, peering into the darkness.

"I think those people are full of crap." He spoke. "Just want to scare us with some kind of strange magic, hoping we run like dogs." Carlotta and Donelli had retreated to the main fire, hiding in the opening of their tent, basking in the glow of the flames. In the distance, a ways into the woods, more fire could be seen, and even further south small blips of light dotted a line on the horizon over the lakeside.

---

LeForestier stood on the deck of the skiff. Torches in hand he had ordered his own men to guard the Tal'Fea regardless of the warning to stay close to the light.

"They're not getting near me baby, no way."

---

AAAAHHRGH!!!

A deathly scream erupted from Elias. The man had been on the skiff, looking over the navigational console, lighting the candles in the lanterns overhead. Now, he was set upon by a strange being, almost liquid in form. It had fangs and claws, it's eyes and teeth gleaming golden in the light of the candles, which stood safely behind their glass casings. Even from a distance Elias could be seen struggling with the creature, his torch lying on the deck, dropped upon the initial attack.

"DAMNIT! ELIAS!"

Leforestier rushed to the man's aid, sword in hand.

You will be one with the dream...

None set foot on the isle of the Mother and leave without saying goodbye...
Last edited by Brytan on Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

As Xenovia entered the ring of light she hesitated for the briefest moment, wondering if they truly should have left the intruders alone. We warned them, she reassured herself. We've done as much as we need to.

Despite the surrounding flames, the cold crept up her skin and danced along her spine like the legs of a spider, sending shivers through her body that shook her frame not from fear, but from familiarity. Yet despite this, she could think only, Why? Why do the Cryers come, why do they attack us? For surely they had been there first, Ursa had been theirs for countless yahren. They had lived their way of life peacefully. Their traditions and ceremonies had been beautiful and awe inspiring. Yet now they had lost their Festival Grounds, and fought every night to survive until the next morning. Would they cut down all their forests for wood to burn and build with? Would they wall themselves in until the village was the last part of the land which they held? Would they one day be wiped out altogether? This she feared more than the Cryers. More than the intruders. More than death.

As Kiara's fearful tone reached her ears, Xenovia narrowed her eyes and straightened, thunking the edge of her spear into the ground at her feet. Her stance was one of strength and defiance, her chin held high, pride and courage reflected in the depths of her golden eyes. This was no time for worrying, for worrying led to mistakes, and mistakes led to death.

"We will fight as only Kanthrops can fight. We will do what we must to survive and protect our village, and we will vanquish the Cryers again and again without failing -- because we must." Yes, they had no choice but to fight. Fight or die. And despite the fact that she strongly disliked some of them (and here her gaze flickered toward Culwago), they were her family. They were her tribe, her people, her friends; and she would not fail them.

There were shadows in the dark, eyes peering, teeth flashing, whispers teasing, mocking, grating. It was time to fight again, and Xenovia longed for it. Her lips curled back, teeth baring in a smile almost as wicked as that of the Cryers as the excitement of the coming fight began to take over her body: the first hints of adrenaline coursing into her blood; her Inner Animal shuddering somewhere between fight or flight; her heart beating faster, thumping against her ribcage, as if aching to take a swing at them itself. Her hearing sharpens. Her eyes focus clearly. A glint of what might be madness enters her eyes, muscles tensed in anticipation, the thirst for battle bringing her tongue to drag across her lips ere the wild smile pulls them back once again. Come, her thoughts whisper, her stance challenging, her spear at the ready. Come, and witness that which you will never take.
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

Scarlet did not look to Xen as she spoke, but she could hear that sanguine lust in her voice. The red haze that gave strength and took the mind. It had cost more than a few lives in battles before, and each life here was more precious than words could ever express. If too many fell, the group would be overwhelmed by sheer force of numbers. Fight smart Xen, for all our sakes. She felt the last vestige of sunlight leave the sky. Now the long night began.

She narrowed her eyes, her sight locked on the distant shadows that slid from place to place with frightening speed. She nodded at Xen's words. There was no choice. This was the path they would have to tread until it reached its bitter end. She felt her heart beat steadily in her chest as she slowly drew one arrow from the quiver and, as it caught the flame, she drew the bow taught. She wondered if she would loose more than a handful of arrows out before she would have to fight tooth and claw. She did not care. If the first arrow gave one Cryer pause for breath it would be worth it.

She felt her inner beast, the nameless predator feed on the adrenaline. It was waiting, patiently, still as the stone she stood upon. Archery required consistency and calm. She quietened her thoughts, drew the bow up, her eye tracing its path through the trees into the myriad of shifting shadows. The fletching brushed her cheek and she loosed her first flight, drawing a second arrow without thought. Was it the first move? She did not know, but if the Cryer's were close enough to see, they were close enough to strike.

Earth mother, guide these arrows to shadow's heart. Let the shadows burn this night.

ooc:Im blowing out the candles on my birthday wish ;)
Last edited by Scarlet on Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Kanthrop Archive”