Coronation Side Thread- Light and Dark over Ice Cream

Moderator: Mods

Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Coronation Side Thread- Light and Dark over Ice Cream

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

((Continue the Sosa/Ssinith conversation here))
"If all things are energy and a wizard is a master of manipulating it, then as a politician am I studying the greatest sorcery of all."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Most Heroic Male PC (2008)
Most Religious PC (2008/2006)
Sosa
Civus

Post by Sosa »

Sosa repressed a giggle at Ssiniths face. To hide it, she helped herself to some more icecream.
She never would have iomagined herself having a casual conversation with a dark adhiel.
See, you are never too old to learn something new!
she chided herself.

She half-smiled at the ambassador.
"It is good, isn't it? I seem to have a serious craving for icecream lately. But what brings you to the Citadel, apart for the coronation and the food?"
[size=75]avatar by allavatars.com[/size]
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

"Getting Gulanadur the respect our Queen desires. I was appointed Ambassador to make certain the world knows we are a powerful people."

He didn't say 'nice'... but that was besides the point. He took in another bite of the strange new substance before continuing. His attitude relaxed considerably as he seemed a little more personable.

"Myself, I am hoping to continue my training at the University. I am an Alchemist and I have dreams of becoming an Archmage. I love the secrets of the universe! I personally can not wait to get back to the lab and study the local energies."
"If all things are energy and a wizard is a master of manipulating it, then as a politician am I studying the greatest sorcery of all."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Sosa
Civus

Post by Sosa »

"Ah" Sosa replied, stuffing a large spoonful in het mouth, which caused her to wait a bit, while she tried to keep her face serious, in spite of the mouthful of cold, very cold, ice
"The secrets of the universe...indeed..." Then her face grew serious:
"I do not know any of those secrets myself. But I have learned that knowledge is ofter used quickly, to better oneself, without care for the universe or those in it.."
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

"Well... that would be the first secret of the universe. I have a century or two ahead of me. There is a difference between learning and implementing after all. If I might be so bold to ask, how have you been in spite of your problems? You seemed rather distant over here."

His eyes had a genuine concern. He was trying to make sure that the mighty paladin who took down a Gulanadurian avatar wasn't too down on her luck. He was also about to hear from the Illuminatus scribe later today, so knowing what was going on with her could lend more insight to the troubles the Church was having.

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder finished his conversation with Commander Draydis, and took stock of the room. As he looked about, he scanned faces and realized that Sosa and a dark Adhiel were standing not too far away. They seemed to be having a pleasant conversation, and enjoying ice cream. Normally he wouldn't interrupt, but given the time constraints before they left for Pax, he wanted to be sure he had a chance to offer Sosa an invitation to join them if she wished, or to say goodbye if she didn't.

He closed the distance between them quickly with a few strides of his long legs, cleared his throat politely, and sincerely hoped that his former Commander and the Adhiel were not discussing anything terribly important or private.

"Excuse me. I'm very sorry to interrupt, but I'm not sure if I will have another opportunity to speak with Commander Sosa here, and I was hoping I might barge in on your conversation for a few burns before the ceremony begins."

Ulder extended a hand to shake to the Adhiel.

"Good tide to you sir. My name is Ulder Synkaaros, and I used to work for the Commander here. Pleased to meet you."
[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=404]Ulder's Compendium[/url]

[size=67]Avatar by permission of Amok. http://en.amokanet.ru/[/size]
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

His ears perked at the sound of the throat. Placing his spoon to the side from his ice cream bowl, he assessed the new arrival before hearing the name. His gaze widened for a moment as the Dark Adhiel graciously accepted the handshake. An idea was forming in his head... this affair had to be quite urgent, considering both were high in the Purple Guard as he recalled. Which meant this might not necessarily have anything to do with the Empire since they were recalled.

"S'ssinith D'Illil-Devir, Ambassador of Gulanadur and Firebrand of Molten. I have heard much of your prowess in combat. If... I may intrude myself, may I ask what will deny you the opportunity to speak to her again? I beg pardon if these affairs are private, but Gulanadur seeks to pull their weight on the surface. If there is anything I can do to aid two of their greatest heroes, let me know."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder smiled warmly at the Ambassador.

Funny world we live in... As a small child I was constantly warned of the Dark Adhiel. I was told they were cunning and ruthless. Yet, upon first glance, I have met two in the last few days that immediately strike me as friendly and helpful...

"Pleased to meet you Ambassador. I'm sure the tales you've no doubt heard were exaggerated."

He cleared his throat uncomfortably, this time in earnest

"My business with Commander Sosa is simple. I am leaving the Citadel for an important task tomorrow and I wanted to extend the Commander an invitation to join my wife and I, even though I suspect she shall decline."

Ulder's leather brown eyes flicked to Sosa, the corners laughing.

"Truly I just wanted to say farewell to her and wish her the best of luck. This task I'm undertaking may be dangerous, and if I didn't get a chance to speak with her again, or if I was unable to return, then I could extend my sincere appreciation and gratitude for everything she has done for me."

Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

"Really?"

Ssinith's ears perked up... ohhhh, how he would yearn to go along with this hero on a quest heard of in fairy tales. The mask of the Ambassador fell and the overeager seventeen year old wizard took over. The mere thought of putting his wizard talents to use excited his heart to no end.

"Well, people tend to overspeak my stories as well" Ssinith replied with honest humility. "I am still seventeen yahren and I have already survived a war. I must learn more about the surface so that both sides may better understand one another so there is less of a chance of my people being lost."

"Ssinith... remember your duties to your Queen" Ssinith thought to himself.

At that realization, his ears slightly sank. Still, he would take this opportunity to at least learn more about Ulder's task. It may prove useful in the future. It was apparent from his look that he wanted to help, but didn't want to force himself upon the two heroes, recalling protocol. Still, as he mentally forced himself to put to mask of the Ambassador on himself once more that he was slightly heartbroken where he was.

"My apologies, mlady Sosa... and Ulder. I should not pry in your affairs."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Sosa
Civus

Post by Sosa »

Sosa's eyes lit up as Ulder approached. She had been hoping to be able to talk to him tonight, but did not want to interrupt.
It had simply been too long, it seemed so long ago, even to her.
strange thing, time. How many things can happen in just a few flickers

"Ulder, please, you know you never interrupt" In her joy to see him, she forgot the formal 'Captain' she normally used.

She turned to the ambassador. "My Lord, please forgive my rudeness. Captain Ulder and I have known each other for a long time. But of course you are not prying, and of course, there is no privacy here, especially not today!"

"I have had no opportunity yet to congratulate you!" She apologized to Ulder. "My best wishes to you and your wife. May the Light shine on you, and in you. But I hope you are not leaving before we had a chance to talk? Maybe over breakfast?"

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

"Very well, then."

Ssinith visibly relaxed and looked over to the two heroes. His stature returned to somewhere in between Ssinith the teenage wizard and the Lord Ambassador of Gulanadur. His look was that of genuine concern.

"If, indeed, you are setting out on a task, then perhaps I should inform you of current events. We of Gulanadur have brought forth warriors from Gulanadur's Army of the Ascent in order to fill the gap lost by the discharged Purple Guard. With a new Caesar about to get crowned and the slight unbalance which has happened after the war, your departure must surely be of the utmost importance. Morale around Citadel will not be the same without you, Demon Slayer. If you are asking Sosa to join you, this must be an epic task, indeed. Please allow me to know what is happening so that not only myself, but Gulanadur can act accordingly. If you are taking the mightiest heroes in the land, I will need to rise as a leader myself to keep things well in the empire."

If this great warrior was going to have another Party of Light go around and beat the piss out of things, then he had to make certain this would not once again imbalance Gulanadur. He had several errands here to tend to so that order might be maintained in the Empire.

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder smiled warmly at Sosa and her reaction. It was good to see and hear her so relaxed and casual. Events had not been kind to the two of them, but it did his heart good to know they were friends still, and likely always would be.

"Thank you very much. Elaine and I are very happy together. I would be happy to talk to you over breakfast tomorrow. We are leaving late morningtide, but I've always been something of an early riser. A meal of peppered eggs at the Burpin' Dragon would be a great way to start off what's sure to be a long day tomorrow."

The ambassador's reaction was something of a surprise to the former Captain, as he would bet against the Army of Gulandur ever sending troops to aid the Empire, with or without the Purple Guard.

Times are changing... These people were the enemy once. Now they send their troops to help stabilize our own capital. Something they are smart enough to realize, when our own Caesar was blind enough to disband us. It won't be long before they are rioting in the streets...

Ulder tried to hide the shock from his face.

"I certainly appreciate your enthusiasm Ambassador. Its refreshing to find someone who wants to help and puts the good of many over the good of a few. It is a wise move, which will be greatly appreciated by certain members of the Council."

He didn't say which members, although his glance to Sosa probably betrayed that to the young ambassador.

Ulder shifted his weight and looked over to find Draydis talking to Elaine. He wondered briefly if Elaine would share her perspective on the Mother, since Draydis was so keen on hearing more from his Goddess. He almost imperceptibly nodded and returned his attention to Sosa and Ssinth. He paused for another moment as he tried to figure out the best way to approach this subject, and still be able to tell the tale.

"Being that I am no longer serving the Empire in any official capacity, I have the luxury of turning my attention to things that matter to me personally. A few months ago, after the unrest of the Changer behind us, my wife and I went to the West to visit family and plan for the wedding. I learned much about the struggles in Aveas, and the war there claimed the lives of two of my brothers."

He swallowed hard. The pain was still fresh at times.

"Then I found out that there are some people, who didn't share the official religion of the King, who followed other faiths, that had been ordered and forced to inhabit a place called Pax Balthasar. I lost two brothers over a war for coffee. It does not sit well with me that there are those who died over simple, unimportant things, and others are essentially imprisoned over what they choose to believe in. I'm taking a contingent of our former comrades, some former members of the Emerald Guard, and even a couple of your people over with us with the mission of freeing these people from their persecution. People should be allowed to worship in whatever way they wish, and not have to follow the wishes of a dead king any longer. Commander Sosa is the chosen of one of those other faiths herself, and I wanted to inquire if she was interested in leading the building of new temples to her faith, as well as break the chains of outdated laws."

"If Gulandur wishes to help with this endeavor, it will not be refused."
Last edited by Ulder on Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

His ears perked up slightly as Ulder explained the situation as his face kept a serious tone. He was going to go on his own mission to unhinge the rule of the Oneists. How delightful! There was a sparkle of admiration in his eyes for this human. Oh... how S'sinith loathed the Oneists. How his people hated the Oneists. His eyes briefly darted to the representative from the West who flaunted the One before returning his gaze back to Ulder and keeping his voice a little more quiet.

"I must make a full report to my Queen of this before it is decided how much we will aid. Suffice to say, however, I represent a faith myself. I am in complete agreement with you. Might I ask who else might be joining you? It would certainly be a promotion of peace to the surface, though it would take preparation on my part. Directly aiding something of this magnitude would require the blessing of my Queen... however, something like this would also demand resources. As for my own direct intervention, the Queen has taken many resources to protect me. I will not insult her generosity by so quickly putting my life in the middle of the battlefield without her consent."

There was a slight smirk crossing his lips as he thought of the concept of the adventure, his eyes pausing to assess the possibilities.

"What might be your immediate needs, Ulder? Surely if the West found out about your noble quest, they would not be happy. It would be wise to keep resources here in the case of a fault in plans. Showing the full extent of your strength at this point would not be wise. Until I can get full confirmation from our Queen, what may I... as an independent interest, store away for you in the case that things do not go as planned?"

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

OOC: With Sosa's blessing, we go merrily on!

"As I said, there is a contingent of my former comrades from the Purple Guard, my wife Elaine, the slayer Talanwei Fortisse, General Draydis and General Thrandil and Lieutenant Craghley of the Emerald Guard and some of their men, the wizard Elvin Motrice, my good friend the bard Penth, and two you might know, Jadmai Av'Zathrak, Ambassador to Amun Rah, and Raevyn D'Altamooriana, both from your homeland."

Ulder took a rather measured sip from his glass. Until the Ambassador committed to a course of action, Ulder was reluctant to discuss the logistics of his plan.

"No sir, I don't suppose they will be pleased with our actions at all. But this is not an act of aggression. We are going to free the people of Pax from their persecution. I don't suppose they will like that, and we will defend ourselves if necessary. We're not going to start a war Ambassador, but we will fight one if need be."

"All of our immediate needs have been met sir. Wise or not, I cannot, nor will I, accept the assistance of any government. That makes this state sponsored, and that's not what this is about. These are volunteers, sir. They have ties and loyalties to others, but what we are going to do, we go to do for them, the people of Pax. Its not politics sir. Its personal."
Last edited by Ulder on Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

S'sinith raised his brow at the mention of Talanwei. He kept it raised as a mask at the mention of the two cousins mentioned at the end. There was a sheer terror in his soul and he paused before speaking to best state things. He did not wish to come off as angry or rude, but there was flaw in this plan.

"I have met Talanwei. He and I are friends. I have been speaking with the temple of Illuminatus in order to better understand the surface and how they think. If you are going against the flow of one government, no matter how much you detest politics, you involve other governments. You see that man over there?"

He once again glanced at the Oneist who walked around like a peacock in his shiny armor like he owned the place before returning his gaze to Ulder. It was one of genuine respect and worry.

"He's allowed at Citadel court. No doubt that, in time, this will bring them crying to Citadel in order to do something about you. In order to keep another war from starting, I doubt the new Caesar will be behind you because he can not afford to have another war. Do you think he allows our people to fight because he trusts us? If you have no backing from a government, they will turn against you in order to keep the general peace. With all due respect, good Ulder... nobody is safe from the sting of government and politics when one desires to do the great. I know this better than most."

There was a slight tear in his eyes as he said that. He wanted to protect his people and his land, and now he was tied trying to keep peace here. He wanted to go with... he wanted to go blast some Oneists, but he needed to be smart about it. If Ulder wasn't going to be smart about it, it would be far too dangerous to help him. In fact, depending on the actions of his cousins, it may potentially make them enemies in the future. His voice was almost cracking as he stated his final peace.

"You know this better than anyone... as does Sosa..."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

"You're very clever sir. But I think you might be putting the proverbial cart in front of the proverbial horse. You assume this will escalate into war. You assume that I will live long enough to create a problem for them. You assume we will be successful. Please understand I fully intend to make all of those assumptions a reality, but the truth is, we may not succeed. We might fail and die. But I would be doing everyone involved a disservice if I allowed us to be fettered with the shackles of someone else's state policy."

"If I accept assistance from a government, then what I do becomes part of that government's policy, and therefore that government is responsible for my actions. If I have no sponsor, and I act independently of all governments, then even if the west were to come forward and try to shackle me, the Caesar can claim that I am not acting in the interests of the Empire, and then he doesn't have to lift a finger to do anything about me. He assumes no responsibility, so he assumes none of the risks."

Ulder looked deep into the Ambassador's eyes.

"I don't care if they turn against me. I welcome it. I am comfortable with the thought of dying for something I strongly believe in. Its a far better fate to me than trying to live with myself and my own conscious after trying to barter with someone about a right and a privilege granted to us by all the Gods. It might be idealistic. It might be some damn foolish crusade. But at least free men will stand against those who seek to rule over another because they believe their God is stronger and another's God is lesser. I have a weapon they do not possess my lord Ambassador. Something that men of power overlook time and time again, and it always causes their eventual downfall. My secret weapon is the people. It's their will that guides the fates of those who govern. They are overlooked, forgotten and underestimated time and time again. I don't intend to stand against them sir. We go to stand with them."

Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Never had S'sinith had more respect for a surface man than the one standing before him. A tear betrayed his heart and fell past his war-scarred cheek. He closed his eyes briefly to take in the full feeling of what he was saying, and understood why he was such a hero. He was young, and still knew little of politics, and what Ulder stated was true. Gulanadur could not get involved in this.

In retrospect, he now understood why the people died to protect his own person as the memory of him standing at the podium to speak to the very people Ulder spoke so highly of. He also understood more clearly that Ulder had a true heart.

"You are great, Ulder Synkaaros. I shared your sentiments when none of my people wished to join the War of the One. I was so on fire... we were wronged and nobody cared. I stood and spoke my peace... and when I was finished, almost everyone rushed to destroy the very force you intend to negate. As you... I cared not for whom went against me. They were my people, and they should never bow to anyone from the outside. I never understood myself why so many, including our Queen took such care to protect me. Now... I am looking in a mirror."

He did all he could to keep his tears down. He wanted to sob, but merely permitted a few to fall. He was as open as Vlast had mentioned... perhaps more.

"Molten... is different than the surface gods you know. It is the choices of the people which please him. That independence you so revere and that desire to seek more is how we worship him. Even in doing what some may consider evil, that growth and the power of the choices we make is how we worship him. The fruits of our decisions are our offerings to him. Politically, I should not even exist... I am a wizard who speaks for a god. I grew up being overlooked, forgotten and underestimated."

He slowly took a lovely black silken scarf from a fold in his robe. It was obviously feminine and taken care of. He held it in his hands before looking over to Elaine briefly before looking over to him.

"Would you not serve... and possibly die for the one you noticed, remembered, and put faith in you? My Queen... she desires our people to walk in understanding with the surface. For her... I will not separate my desires from that of my nation. Not the nation my Queen has entrusted me to represent."

Placing the scarf back into his robes, he wiped the tears from his eyes as he looked down for awhile before returning his gaze to Ulder.

"I will ask this, however. You have people who are tied to politics in your ranks... would you be able to maintain a neutral stance if any of their enemies should follow them? I heard the University of Magic has very cut throat ambition between wizards."

Those weren't the enemies he would be the most worried about, but he spoke the truth. With him being a wizard, it made sense that he paid attention to such things. No, he was worried about how his cousins would fare, particularly the supposed defector.

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder was somewhat taken aback by the emotional response of the Ambassador before him. This was obviously a man with great passions, great respect, and great idealism himself. He was touched that his words could move a man so.

Yet, despite the endearing qualities that the Ambassador presented, his views were still rather limited, and indeed chained to old ways and old grudges. It was this box, this mirror as Ssinth so eloquently spoke of, that framed the ideas he had. This framework was exactly the kind of thinking that Ulder was striving against. He gave the dark Adhiel a moment to compose himself before he continued.

"I am going to stand for something, to build something, not to tear anything down. Its not the destruction of the Church of the One we seek, nor is it the blood of his followers. This is not a fight against any one people. Its a fight for people. If we seek nothing but destruction, then we best be prepared to find it, meaning seeking destruction will lead eventually to our own. If people, all people are going to live in peace, then the plain they build upon must be level and the same for all. Persecuting others for their faith and locking them behind a wall isn't a fair and equitable space to live in. There's no balance, no purity, no reason. Its only when we acknowledge that what others have, or do, or worship makes them equal to ourselves, then we can learn to coexist in peace with the land and with each other. So the Church of Dominicus has much. We're going to build others that high, not tear down what they have already built."

Ulder's eyes followed Ssinth's to Elaine.

"I would not die for her simply because she asked me to. I would die for her because I know she never will ask me to. My wife is not a believer in blind, naked obedience, nor for dying for the sake of proving love or loyalty. I respectfully submit to you that a Queen, any Queen, should not ask such a thing of her subjects. A worthy ruler is one who stands with those who defend his country. If a ruler expects those to serve him because they says so, then its slavery they want, not loyalty. If Molten wants independence and choice for those who follow his faith, then to honor him the choice must be made. Please bear in mind I mean no disrespect to you or your Queen. I merely wish to point out that sometimes what it is best for one, is not best for all. If you are not happy with your own choices, then you will never be truly happy to serve someone else's."

The Ambassador's next question was easy for the former Captain to answer.

"Yes I will be able to maintain a certain neutrality because if their enemies came to attack them, then I would not interfere in something that is not my business. I will stand and defend a friend in need. I will assist a friend in whatever they ask of me if I am able. But the truth is, they need to ask. I'm not going to step in and interfere with another's life without someone asking me to. If they do not ask, then I will do nothing, trusting in that person's judgment that they can handle it. If they think I can help them, and they ask me to, then I know the need is real, so I will work harder to assist them, regardless if they need an ear to listen, or a shield to defend them. Wizard, priest, merchant, make little difference to me. Its the way I strive to treat others, and the way I hope others will treat me. I don't always get it right. I'm human, I make mistakes. But I will try and keep trying as long as I am able."
Last edited by Ulder on Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

He was a seventeen year old with a raging heart. Of course he would be emotional. He paused a moment and tried hard to let things sink in and remained silent as Ulder spoke. This was so strange to him. His face turned puzzled, but not angered. He knew the surface thought differently, but this whole concept of not trying to start a conflict at all was alien to him. Quite frankly, it was against the entire train of thought he had seen both back home and on the surface.

"This is strange to me, good Ulder. We in Gulanadur thrive on challenge and conflict. I have yet to see your way in action. I do not reject it... it is just... alien to me, as many concepts of the surface have been. Tell me, good Ulder... if there is no conflict or lack of destruction, how do people grow and learn? How will the guards learn to defend their land if there are no thieves?"

He was trying to get out of what Ulder may have considered a box. A barrier, yes. S'sinith, however, saw it as more of a glass ceiling. A limit to his thinking, yes, but he chose to examine the other side. His puzzled gaze was still a respectful one, though his ears were sunk low in slight frustration at not quite understanding the meaning behind Ulder's passionate views.

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Sosa
Civus

Post by Sosa »

Sosa kept quiet during the conversation between the Ambassador and the captain.
absent mindedly she ate the bowl of ice cream.

She could feel both mens pain and fire, and absorbed it, trying to radiate compassion and peace towards them.

Both points of view seemed reasonable to her. She could understand Ulder's need to revenge his family and help the people of Pax. She even wanted to help him. But, as Ssinith had said: it would help nobody to rush in and start a war. They would be with too few, too many would be hurt and in the end, they would be left with no support and no results.

She listened, and waited to see where the conversation would go.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Tell me, good Ulder... if there is no conflict or lack of destruction, how do people grow and learn? How will the guards learn to defend their land if there are no thieves?

"I don't think a man has to know conflict to learn. We learn by seeing, by doing, by interacting with others. One needn't see persecution to know tolerance. One needn't be enslaved to know freedom. One needn't be cut with a sword to know pain."

The former Captain shot a knowing look at Sosa as she enjoyed her iced cream, then pointed over at Elaine.

"Take a look at my wife sir. There has never been a moment in her life where she has seen the light of day, or the stars at night. She has never seen my face, nor yours, nor her own mother's. She will never see the colors in a sunrise, or the hypnotic dance of a fire, or what a smile is. Yet look closer. Is she truly blind? Look closely at the staff she uses to guide her. It is carved with faces, my own in there not far from her hand. See the images?"

Ulder returned his gaze to the Ambassador.

"You and I are learning a great deal about each other now, aren't we? You did not know me before this day, nor I you, and yet know if we saw each other across a battlefield, it would more difficult to kill one another, no? I suggest to you that we have done so without conflict. We have had a pleasant conversation, right? I will confess you may be correct about destruction though, but I think the only thing we have destroyed here are unknowns. You know me better, I know you better, thus some of the things we didn't know are gone."

"That is how we grow and learn. We talk, we watch, we feel. We experience. There are many that won't agree with me sir, but if we took the time to sit and talk with people we perceive as enemies, we may yet realize they are not out enemies at all."

Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

He was enjoying this philosophical discussion very much. He had not had one so deep. The Scribe of Illuminatus was more for information sake, no this was an actual intellectual sit down between two schools of thought; growth by group unity vs. growth by conflict.

"As you say, your lovely bride has overcome being different. If she were not blind, would she have enjoyed the same life she has now? She had to overcome the conflict of not being able to see in order to make her life as vibrant as it is now. This experience you speak of with feeling and watching is not done without conquering the conflict of the self. I have seen the surface people do horrible things, and many of our people choose not to go into conflict of their own opinions. It takes that decision to conquer yourself in order to take in the truth of experience. Will I talk to the Oneist here? I am still fighting that conflict, but at least I am keeping my anger in check. It is little steps sometimes."

He pondered for a moment before asking his next question with a smile.

"Tell me, if those people did not know the oppression, why would they need you to bring tolerance?"

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

He listened to the Ambassador speak and remained silent, as it seemed Ssinith's questions, much like his own, were more abstract and rhetorical rather than a true query. That is, until the last was asked.

"I only have one answer to that question sir. They are the ones who preach tolerance and good will, and then lock up others in a prison cell because they are different. This is a world where its easy and convenient to do nothing. I am not that kind of man. If I treat someone unfairly, I expect others to rise up and say something. Likewise, when injustice is done before me, I will rise up and say something. To do or say nothing is just as bad. It's almost like giving someone permission to commit atrocity."

Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Ssinith nodded to Ulder, expecting that response.

"To rise against something is conflict. One can disagree with another, but accept their belief. Once they will not tolerate what they think, you expect people to act against them."

S'sinith paused for a moment, realizing his human was not perfect as he spoke to Ulder. He wondered if there was another word for what S'sinith knew.

"Perhaps I use the wrong word 'conflict'. Sometimes I think my human is better than it is. What I speak of talks of not just war and violence, but competition and decision. We of the underground see it all as one thing. It would be everything that forges us to become stronger people by having it try to defeat us or others. It is that heat we always have to be smelted into something pure and valuable."

He didn't know how better to describe their mentality in human terms. S'sinith paused to see if that made sense at all, because now he was getting all confused between what Ulder was trying to prove since he kept talking about standing up to something he didn't agree with not resulting to conflict.

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

"Polished human language or not, you are absolutely right. Standing up is indeed conflict. Confronting someone about their behavior is a conflict. To clarify, what I mean is that when we go there, we will confront them about this persecution, but we are not going to conquer. We will certainly defend ourselves if we are attacked, but its freedom for these people that we are seeking, not the blood of those of who put them there."

Ulder listened to the Ambassador speak of his homeland with interest. There was precious little he knew of Gulandur or its people. He had spent some time with Raevyn to be sure, and Jadmai seemed amiable enough, but neither had spoken much of the underground realm, so Ssinth's brief explanation was rather interesting.

"I think I understand what you mean. Its the fires of those conflicts that create a national identity and belief. I think you may be surprised how much the surface dwellers are similar. We have many different kinds of conflict and competition ourselves. We play games of chance and skill. We test each other in combat, both mock and real. We barter and haggle for a better price in the marketplaces. We even negotiate in treaties and diplomacy at the government level. What you are saying exists on the surface in abundance Lord Ambassador. Its the heat of that forges men and swords sir, but both require good raw material if anything or anyone of quality is to be created."

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”