KC: Seeking Confession (Chyril 26 MT)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

eThe altercation between Sebastian and Yin clearly distressed Constance for the girl was close to tears. After a few flickers, she composed herself and lifted a pair of watery eyes towards the Baron.

“Whatever I have done, I intended no permanent harm to the Duke, I assure you. I had no choice but to help the Regent. It was not the money….” She paused a few flickers, darting a nervous glance at the Paladin before steeling herself to continue.

“It is quite simple really. The Regent wishes to gets his hands on Kriesbon’s lands and thinks to marry the Lady Cerise to ensure this. Kriesbon was not amenable to this alliance and so Leonius sought to further his plans by ensuring the Duke fell ill and would agree to the marriage to ensure the future of his estate.”

Constance frowned before continuing. “I only agreed to make the Baron ill, not to kill him. What I did can be reversed once the wedding is over. Yet, I fear that he may have been affected by more than my spell. The man Travis of whom you speak is a skilled poisoner and perhaps Leonius had the notion of disposing of the Baron . However, Travis had some sort of argument with Leonius and left in a fury, I know not why.”

The blonde girl turned to Yin. “I am sorry.”
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Post by Sebastian Beauvais »

Sebastian felt the thrill of success mix with the dread of his worst suspicions as Constance finally broke and revealed her side of the story. He latched onto the crux of her own part in the sad tale, the fact that her magic was reversible. Even if Cerise's father had been affected by more than her magic, perhaps Constance's attention now would lessen his distress. That would give him more time to locate this Travis and pry the antidote from him.

The young baron could see events playing out in his mind's eye: Constance doing the Regent's bidding and afflicting Baron Kriesbon with her magic according to plan; Travis poisoning the old baron as well, not trusting magic to do the job and perhaps trying to restore his position as Leonius' favourite; the ensuing argument between master and servant when the combined effects of the treachery were discovered; the acrimonious departure of the supplanted servant, now cast aside.

If he surmised correctly then Leonius did not truly wish the Baron dead, but that did not lessen Sebastian's revulsion and anger with the Regent one whit. The corpulent bastard had plotted foully against his love's father, in order to steal Cerise and her inheritance. Such underhanded methods, regardless of the extent of planned harm, twisted Sebastian's guts in a knot so tight he found it difficult to breathe. It was well the Regent was not within arms reach at that very moment.

He sensed from Constance's reaction that there was still more to hear on the hold Leonius' had over her, for the young baron believed she was truly sorry for her part in events. When he asked her to undo the spell immediately they would reach that touchy subject, Sebastian was sure. For the moment though he bided his silence, letting her grief and shame play out as she turned to her righteous friend for sympathy and forgiveness. There would be time, in a burn or two, to pursue her help in righting this grievous wrong.
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

The young man was conflicted. She was working as an assassin, well, no because she was never going to kill the man. But she was ordered to do so by the Regent, Yin remembered the dream, and how he was treated by the King. He looked away as he thought this through. His mind was weighing the options.

After a burn he turned to her. “You were truly pressed into the matter, then there is nothing to be sorry for. If you did take money for this, the Regent will use that to point at your own guilt, but you said it was not just the money. What was it then? Something personal against the Lord, or against the Lady? Or was there something the Regent was using to press you to work for him?”

He reached down and took her hands in his. “I did not see this in you, I do not think it is natural for you to be so. Explain completely why you did what you did. Then we can return to the Lord and we can undo this wrong you have done him.” He took a long breath. “If the Regent is killing Lords to grasp at their lands, we will need to address this, though it will be difficult to do so with the Regent being the guilty party. Our evidence will have to be sound.”
Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
Guido Cercatoro

(OOC; I’ll try to push this on so we can finish before Seb’s vacation)

Constance allowed Yin to take her hands. Tears streamed down her cheeks and she now appeared to be a stricken young girl rather than a powerful mage. After half a burn or so she composed herself and spoke out clearly.

“I have told you both that I have no family. However, although I know that most of my relatives are dead, I have a brother who may still be alive. I started working for the Regent in the hope that he might be able to use his contacts to search for my brother. Indeed, that is the main part of the payment I sought from Leonius. He claims that he has a man on the track of my brother but threatens to stop the search if I do not perform the tasks he wishes of me.”

The blond girl paused for a flicker, wiping her eyes with one small, delicate hand. “I have been so alone. I would do anything to find my brother, short of murder. I would never use my power to kill someone except in self-defence.”
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

"While I can sympathize with your situation Miss Devois, I truly do fear for the Baron's life," commented Sebastian, not unkindly. "Whether or not it was Travis' interference or some other unplanned reaction, the Baron is in dire straights. He needs help, and without delay."

"I do not doubt you were manipulated by the Regent to do his bidding, and whether he truly intends to help you with your brother or not I cannot say. But if you were to help the Baron now to recover, or at least hold out longer until a complete cure can be found, then you would have not only his gratitude but mine as well." Sebastian held Constance's gaze with his steady, earnest eyes.

"And despite the Regent's network, Baron Kriesbon and I are not without our own resources. I suspect that help with finding your brother would be easy to arrange. And that the cost," he paused a flicker to underline the significance, "would be far less damning."

"Would you be willing to step back into the Light, if we offered you the opportunity?"
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Guido Cercatoro

"I will assist the Baron," agreed Constance. "Yet, I would prefer to do this without the Regent's knowledge, for he may seek to harm my brother if he knows what I have done. And, rest assured, nothing I have done will directly cause the Baron's death."

"I know that I have been a fool," she continued, "but Caspian is the only relative of mine that may be alive."
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

"That is not the only reason to keep the Regent in the dark for now, but it is still a good one," nodded Sebastian, pleased the sorceress had agreed to help. The baron did not wish any harm to her brother, nor did he want to offer Leonius an angle for revenge. He hoped Constance's touch might cure Baron Kriesbon completely, but even if she wasn't able to work that miracle then at least she'd buy him time to find Travis and extract the permanent cure.

"You must depart this eveningtide, with certain other helpers I have arranged. The Baron's life is teetering on the edge right now, so no delay can be afforded."

"Just keep in mind," he cautioned her, his relief replaced with a stern tone, "that I am counting on you to help. You have pledged your support to a Peer of the Realm, and in front of a Servant of the One. If in the end you choose to uphold your previous allegiance to the Regent, there will be no bounds to my thirst for vengeance." Sebastian's crisp blue eyes burned brightly as he stared at the girl.

"Are we clear?"
Guido Cercatoro

"I will do as you ask," agreed Constance. "Yet, I may need a little time to set my affairs in order before I leave. I will try to leave this eventide if possible. However, it may need to be at first light tomorrow." She cast a glance towards Yin as she spoke.

"Are you agreeable to this Yin?" It was clear that the young mage sough the paladin's approval for her actions.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

He studied the Baron, funny how the Baron ignored his status until it came time to use it to enforce fear into Constance. As if giving her oath before Yin made any difference. His status and his input was unwelcome when he did speak. He was not some nobles lap hound to do their bidding. His status came from a higher calling then the throne.

He looked at Constance. “We can leave in the morning. I will go with you, I would not like to have you traveling alone if the Regent gets wind of this.” He looked back at the Baron. “For the record, she did nothing wrong, not from the stand point of the law. The Regent is the head of this land, and his orders are to be followed. Just like you ordering me to keep my tongue. Do not think you can hang her with the law.”

He held Constance’s hand. “Now, the morality of her actions and the Law of the One, this is a different matter. This is something she will need to settle with the One herself.” He looked at Constance softly and smiled. He wanted her to see he was not angry. “I would have done anything for my family as well.”

“I will help her in any task she sees fit to do.” He tells the Baron. “Is this the extent of your business here?”
Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian frowned, clearly not elated with delaying Constance's departure until morningtide. But he did not want to push too hard, lest he lose what little common ground had been built between the sorceress and himself. The immediate risk to the Baron's life was an excuse he and Cerise had concocted to cover her departure, he reminded himself. Old Kriesbon was in bad shape, but he was unlikely to die overnight. The delay of a few more burns would not be catastrophic, but the loss of Constance's cooperation would.

"Very well, early tomorrow morningtide," he nodded brusquely, having reached his decision. "You will take the portal - this cannot wait for a leisurely cross-country jaunt. If you have no mounts, I can provide for you." The young baron looked at Yin with a favourable appraisal, nodding again. "I agree, your presence will provide security for Miss Devois against any treachery from the Regent. And I know you will do the right thing, per our agreements here."

"You will be expected," he let them know, to allay any fears they might have on that account. "Please do not delay in arriving at the Murrelbuck estate, nor in your ministrations to the Baron."

Sebastian paused a burn, sorting his thoughts, and then addressed Yin's legal concerns. "I think you'd have a hard time convincing a judge that Miss Devois is blameless in this. True, she followed the Regent's orders, but in an act that clearly violates the Baron's rights. Both are guilty for their individual roles." The young baron held up a hand to forestall any objections or retorts as he continued, "But the distinctions are unimportant. I have no desire to prosecute Miss Devois - after all, she is helping me by helping the Baron. I would just caution you from being too bold in declaring her innocence. Silence on the entire matter would likely serve Miss Devois best."

So long as there were no other pertinent questions or concerns, Sebastian wrapped up his visit quickly. "Yes, that is why I came," he said to Yin. "And I am satisfied with the outcome. Either of you are to contact me immediately if there is any reason the plan cannot be carried out as discussed. Otherwise, I will look forward to hearing of the Baron's greatly improved state."

And with that Sebastian saw himself out of the paladin's home. There were still several things he had to arrange before he met with Cerise later that tradetide, to relate all he had discovered.
Guido Cercatoro

Constance was reassured by Yin's words and clung to the Paladin's hands tightly. "I will do as you ask, Baron. Rest assured, I know that it is in my interest to remain silent."

(OOC: finished here unless you want to add more Yin?)
Guido Cercatoro

Locked for skilling
Guido Cercatoro

Skilled and archived.

Return to “KC Archive”