Imperial Archives (Chyril 26th MT)

Moderator: Mods

Morg

Imperial Archives (Chyril 26th MT)

Post by Morg »

The Citadel is the most breath-taking sight in all the city. The design is a marvel of mystical engineering, created to be both aesthetically delightful and nearly impregnable to attack. Its shape is more or less that of a huge tower with a stretched out base, but such words cannot begin to convey the majesty of the structure. This impregnable fortress is the home of not only the court but the entire Imperial Council and the Purple Guard.

[hr][/hr]
Although he'd been resident on the isle for months, this was the first time Morgan had ever been to the Citadel itself. He wasn't of a vertiginous disposition, but looking upwards to where the palace tapered away into the heavens caused him to reflect that one could easily become so in this place. Swiftly, though, he returned his gaze to a level where he could make eye contact with anyone he met. It wouldn't do to give the impression of being a gawking tourist.

Morgan had very deliberately chosen to wear his apprentice's robes this morningtide. He'd thought about approaching the Citadel in his party gear, but had decided against it. The Imperial Guard no doubt saw no end of cocky young noblemen, many of them likely far better dressed than Morgan could ever afford, so it was unlikely that they'd be impressed by his attire. Mages, however, were a different matter. Mages stood outside the temporal hierarchy, and that was a useful advantage to cultivate. There was a lot of fear and respect for them among the common folk, and so looking like one could be very handy - especially if one had the Aetheric know-how to back up appearances, as Morgan did.

Although he'd been itching to begin his investigation for days, the dark-haired magus had decided to wait until after the coronation, figuring that the Archivist would be busy with various ceremonial duties required. Now, though, he was in no mood for stalling. He strode purposefully up to the palace gates and looked for someone who could direct him to the archives.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

The market had been unusually quiet this morning. Danomel had gone out early in search of a little breakfast. Luckily the market is never totally quiet. But then things being a little lax this morning was to be expected, considering the events of the previous day. Pretty much anyone of importance had been at the coronation as well as many of the events afterwards, sanctioned and not. Of course this meant that many supervisors and managers were probably recovering from the previous evening. And many of the common folk were enjoying their absence. Of course that did mean that not much was going to be getting done this morning tide. But that would change as the day wore on.

As Danomel was returning to the Archives, he noted that he was not the only one up and about this morning. A mage of some sorts by the looks of his robes, and apparently looking for something? He thought to himself. Not really unusual, but this early morning, still curious. Archives should be fairly quiet for another mark or so. Guess I should do my civic duty and see what he wants.

As he considers the situation, he wolfed down another of the small sweet rolls he got in the Market before approaching the mage the mage. Didn't realize I was so hungry!

“Good sir, you are up and about early this morning tide. However, considering the festivities of the other night, it will probably be a mark or so before morning activates reach their normal pace. You seem to be seeking something, a person or place possibly. May I offer you some assistance in your endeavor?"
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Morg

Post by Morg »

Morgan gave the newcomer an appraising glance. He didn't seem to be a member of the Imperial Guard - he didn't look or talk the part. But nor did he carry himself like a noble, many of whom would have ignored Morgan on principle. Some sort of functionary, perhaps.

The man seemed to speak good sense - and indeed a large proportion of the palace's usual occupants would likely be nursing hangovers and late for work. Morgan decided that this was as good a person as any to ask.

"Good morningtide - yes, I hope you can help," he replied with a guarded smile. "I'm from the University of Magick. One of the professors sent me to speak to the Imperial Archivist, Mistress Tabeann. Do you happen to know how to get to the Archives from here?"
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

“University of Magick?” Danomel asks rhetorically. “You would not happen to be acquainted with Corbin Dillion would you?”

Danomel considered the stranger for a flicker. On the surface, it did not seem unusual for someone from the University to be visiting Mistress Tabeann. The man had said that one of the professors had sent him. So that would make him a student then? Not overly sure about how things are structured over there. He did not give a name to the professor either, but then why should he, as he has no idea who I am. Seems a pleasant enough fellow though.

“The Archives are this way.” Danomel gestures with his hand. “I am on my way there, and will be happy to show you the way.”

Moving off at a slow pace Danomel comments over his shoulder, “I do not recall seeing Mistress Tabeann this morning, but that does not really mean anything. She tends to be very busy.”

As he walks, Danomel holds out the bag in his hand. “Don’t know if you have had breakfast, sweet roll?”
Last edited by Danomel on Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Morg

Post by Morg »

"Well, I've heard the name," Morgan replied, "and I know the face, but we've never met as such, I'm afraid." Indeed, he'd noticed his fellow apprentice at the Demon Hunt, and it seemed the man was a lot braver than Morgan, because he'd participated in the direct assault on the daemon itself. Added to that was the fact that Morgan had heard certain non-traditional dance moves at the Burpin Dragon described as a "Corbin".

Morgan fell in next to Danomel as he began to move towards the Archives, matching the other man's stride. He was reflecting on his good fortune when he was offered a sweet roll. "Oh, thank you," he said, warmly and a little surprised, picking one out of the bag and munching on it. "I haven't eaten yet, no." Morgan usually made sure he remembered to eat something of a morningtide, but sometimes, especially when he was preoccupied, it would slip his mind until his stomach began to protest. This was one of those morningtides.

"I'm Morgan, by the way," he added. "Student in Warding and Summoning." His mission demanded secrecy, but that didn't preclude common courtesy - especially since this man had already gone beyond the call of duty in helping him, and had fed him, to boot. He took another bite of his sweet roll and smiled. "So do you work at the Archives?"

It was a guess - but the man was on his way there, and spoke of Tabeann as a known quantity, so it was an educated one.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel nodded. “Yes, I have been working there for some time now.”

A half smile touched Danomels mouth. “I thought it might be the safer course to seek breakfast at the market. The pickings around here might be a little suspect this morning, I think the baker got a late start, and I distinctly recall the smell of something unpleasant, burnt eggs maybe. And I swear one of the cooks was quite ready to take my head off.”

Glancing at Morgan, Danomel commented, “By your chipper disposition this morning, I take it you did not overly indulge in the many late night activates.”

“Oh, where are my manners…” Danonmel suddenly realized that while Morgan has identified himself, he had not yet reciprocated.” “I’m called Danomel. It is a pleasure to meet you .”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Morg

Post by Morg »

"Good to meet you, Danomel," Morgan responded cheerfully. "And no, I'm not one for late night revelries. I partook for a while, but then tucked myself up in bed with a good book." Of course, even that had been easier said than done. Mages, with their mastery of the elements and of illusion, were very good at creating bright, noisy and festive things when they put their minds to it, and even the University of Magick hadn't been entirely celebration-free.

Morgan almost asked an inane question like "What do you think of the new Caesar?" as they walked, but decided against it. He hadn't met the new Caesar, and knew as little about him as he did about the old one. One Caesar was much the same as any other to Morgan, and he suspected that many people of the non-noble classes felt the same way. Instead he asked a question that had the potential to be useful. "I've never met this Mistress Tabeann. If you don't mind me asking, what sort of person is she? Is she approachable...?"

Morgan had never been a people person, and it would be easier to deal with Tabeann if she proved to be a person who was easy to deal with.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

As they walk towards the northern wing, Danomel considered Morgans request for several flickers. He generally felt somewhat uneasy about describing one person to another, preferring to let them make their own observations and decisions. But then Morgan was seeking information most likely in the hope of furthering his goals in as pleasant a manor as possible.

But then again, overt avoidance might cause wrong impressions also. And the silence was bordering on being just a bit too long.

“Well… I would say she is approachable. However, do not be surprised if she is overly direct, something that sets her apart from many you are likely to meet around here. If you are forthright and not inclined to soft step around sensitive subjects, then you should have no problems.”

As they approached the entrance, Danomel continued. “I know that does not sound like much, and I am not trying to be evasive. Just be forthright and succinct, and you will not have a problem.”

Danomel leads Morgan down the staircase from the entryway to one of tables. The large open space, ending far above them in a tinted glass dome, gave view to the five levels rising around them. What seemed to be unnumbered bookcases filled with all manner of written materials stretched off into the far recesses of the building.

“Welcome to the Archives!” Danomel says, as he pulls out a chair for Morgan. “If you would just make yourself comfortable, I will see if I can locate Mistress Tabeann.”

Danomel considers for a moment. “I don’t mean this to sound sarcastic here, but is there anything specific I should tell her, beyond a Professor from the University has sent someone to speak with her?”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Morg

Post by Morg »

(OOC: Sorry 'bout the delay. Somehow I didn't notice that this thread had been posted to.)

Morgan smiled. "Forthright I can manage," he said cheerfully. Indeed, it was one of the few things that Morgan could manage, aside from magick.

The magus let out an involuntary whistle of appreciation as his gaze was drawn upwards through the atrium to the ascending levels of the Archives and the dome at the top. "I can think of much worse places to work," he said with a chuckle as he gave up trying to take in all the books on the bookcases. Hmm. I hope no one ever shows Becca this place. She'd have an embolism.

As Morgan seated himself, he thought about Danomel's question, running a hand across his clean-shaven chin. "Good point." The mage didn't want to reveal too much, but on the other hand he didn't want to be turned away summarily. "You could tell her that we're looking for a very special book," he said eventually, a little apologetically. "I was hoping that the Imperial Archivist could help me locate it. It's in everyone's interests that the book be found."

Morgan was genuinely sorry he couldn't tell the helpful Danomel more, and he'd already let on far more than he should have; easily enough, in fact, for the archivist to jump to his own conclusions. Furthermore, he'd been about as forthright as a patch of sea mist on a cloudy day. He just hoped Mistress Tabeann would understand the need for secrecy underlying his rather vacuous words.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomels eyebrows arch a bit at the cryptic, evasive, and generally lacking in useful information response to his question. Choosing decorum as the better part of valor, he avoided making a real sarcastic remark about most of that information being rather obvious from Morgan’s presences at the archives.

“OK then, I shall see what I can do, though that still sounds a bit on the weak side. Not that I would want to speak for your professor, whose name I note you have not mentioned, but maybe a word or two about criticality and sensitive nature of the request as well as the personal favor angle, which usually implies payback at some point?” Danomel responds.

Waiting a flicker or two to see if another response might be elicited, Danomel nods to Morgan before heading towards Tabeann’s office area. “We shall see what we can do here.”

I think I would faint dead away if something was not sensitive, secret, or political, not that it is likely to ever happen! Danomel thinks to himself.

With any luck, Tabeann should be in her office this morning, saving him the trouble of tracking her down.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Morg

Post by Morg »

Morgan winced inwardly as he noted Danomel's reaction to his words. He didn't need to be a skilled people-watcher to spot that the man was less than impressed. And with good cause. I would be more than a little cheesed off if someone fobbed me off like I just did to him.

The real problem was that Danomel had directly hit upon the piece of information he was least keen to reveal. Morgan was investigating the fate of the Liber on behalf of Elvin, and the professor himself had advised him to use his name, but even so the student was reluctant to do so. For one thing, Morgan was supposed to be conducting a more low-key search than the Adhiel professor was in a position to, which would be difficult if he kept on namedropping. For another thing, Morgan had quite a different plan for the Liber Maleficarus, and didn't want to appear connected to the Shadowstar's attempt to destroy it. Although I messed that one up when I mentioned the University of Magick at all, I suppose. Well done, Morgan.

"I'm here on behalf of Professor Motricé," he replied quickly, before Danomel departed. "And yes, please do mention that it's a critical and sensitive matter," he said in the most honest tone he could muster. "As for personal favours, well, it sounds ridiculous, but... if we can find this book, it'll be reward enough for all of us." Morgan shook his head as he acknowledged the futility of what he was saying. How could he properly express the importance of the Liber without explaining what it was? On top of that, he was in a place where even the most minor request for information would likely come stamped with TOP SECRET and marked as a matter of life and death.

It'll be fine, just as long as the Archivist will agree to see me. Once Danomel had departed, Morgan sat back in his chair and sighed. What a wonderful start. Still, nobody said this was going to be easy.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

As Danomel went in search of Mistress Tabeann, he considered carefully what he was going to tell her. While Morgan seemed quite earnest in his desire to speak with Tabeann, it was also obvious that there was far more that was being left unsaid. And while Morgan seemed a reasonable sort, he was not overly inclined to strain his relationship with his boss and his teacher on his behalf.

Professor Morticé, something about that name struck a chord. After a flickers consideration, Danomel was unable to make a connection.

“Looking for a book”, there did seem to be a good deal of importance attached to that statement. There were probably very few books that would draw someone from the University to the Archives in such a circumspect manner. And if it was all that important, why would the Professor not come himself. The obvious answer, he could not for some reason, which would make dropping his name problematic at best. And of course the obvious conclusion that followed was that Morgan had lied.

Danmomel was beginning to feel a little less inclined to put himself out for this person, when another horrible though occurred to him. His mind suddenly flashed on conversations he had had with the Querist Barret and the Pannling Noland, and he froze in his tracks for a flicker.

But only for a moment, he had been assured that book was safely locked away in the University. He let out a breath he had not known he was holding and continued his search.

Just use his own words, and see what may come, Danomel thought to himself.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Imperial Librarian was busy that day, and tracking Mistress Tabeann down proved to be quite a task. No matter how silent the Archives was, finding the aged adhiel would have to be done visually, yahren of performing her duty making the ancient adhiel move soundlessly amongst the books. It was a good five or so burns later that Danomel found Tabeann, the lady leafing through a book, ever carefully not to damage the pages, each leaf separated from its neighbor by a fingernail before being drawn up. As Danomel approached, she replaced the book upon the shelf, picking up a quill and paper from a small satchel at her side and began scribbling in it. "Yes Danomel? Is something the matter?"
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

“Good Morning Tide to you Mistress Tabeann” Danomel responds with a half bow. “As for something being the matter, a man has come to the Archives this morning seeking a personal audience with you.” He continues.

Endeavoring to keep his expression and voice neutral, Danomel explains Morgan’s errand as best he can. “He has identified himself as one Morgan, student of Warding and Summoning, from the University of Magik. He has purported that he is here at the behest, and on behalf of Professor Motricé seeking your council and help in the location of a special unnamed book of a somewhat critical and sensitive nature. He, Morgan that is, has stressed an extreme importance associated with the locating of this unnamed book.”

He could not help a slight smile towards the end of his report. Wrap it up in a nice package, but on a nice bow, and a load of crap is still a load of crap! Danomel thought to himself.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Whereas Danomel might have drawn certain conclusions from Morgan's secrecy, as Imperial Archivist, Mistress Tabeann was far better informed of the latest events, both in the Citadel and Empire in general. Her brows arched as she glanced past the man's shoulders towards where he came from, before looking at his face once more. "Would his name by any chance be Morgan Scrylock? If so then I have a pretty good idea what he is looking for, though I am not sure how much help I could be, Come, let us go and see if I am right." She motioned with her hand for him to precede her and followed almost soundlessly in his footsteps. She paused barely a flicker when she saw Morgan, nodding to herself and then moved to take a seat at the table. "Good day, Danomel told you wished to see me." She stopped there, letting them start the conversation as they saw fit.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

To say the lest, Danomel was taken somewhat by surprise by Tabeann’s response. He had some time to consider this as he led the way to the table where Morgan was waiting. He suspected that Morgan was probably getting a bit nervous by this time. More so than when he had come in considering the amount of time it had taken to track down the Imperial Archivist.

That Tabeann chose to meet Morgan in the middle of the Archives, rather than some place more private was not particularly reveling one way or the other. Danomel considered the fact that he had not been dismissed to be more telling. If Tabeann was correct about what Morgan was here for, then they seemed to have different views on how confidential it was.

It will be interesting to see what develops Danomel thought to himself.

Feeling that a little bit more formal introduction was called for, Danomel turned to Morgan. “Morgan, May I present Mistress Tabeann, the Imperial Archivist, to you.”

Danomel eyed Morgan, wondering how he would respond…

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Morg

Post by Morg »

Morgan had indeed been getting a little nervous. Despite the impression he may have been giving, he wasn't used to being circumspect, and he disliked it. He also had his doubts about how long he could keep it up, and so he was relieved to see Danomel returning with Tabeann in tow.

"Thank you," he replied, standing, with a smile to Danomel, and extended his hand to the Archivist. "I'm Morgan Scrylock, an apprentice at the University. And thank you for agreeing to see me at such short notice. I'll get straight to the point." He cleared his throat. "I'm here on the advice of Professor Motricé. I was told that you were part of a group that aided him with... a project of his at the University of Magick, along with Mother Abeaja and a few others. The project was regarding a very special book."

Morgan sighed inwardly. The time for beating about the bush was not yet quite over. They were, after all, still standing in the middle of the Archives, and Danomel was still present. The apprentice magus had no way of knowing how much the Imperial Archivist trusted the man, so he decided to let her determine the level of secrecy. "I'm guessing you know exactly what I'm talking about, and I hope you'll agree that it's a matter of some importance, so I'll let you decide whether you want to discuss this in any greater privacy. For my part," he added with an apologetic shrug and smile, "I'd be happy not to have to choose my words so carefully. I'd rather not waste my time or either of yours."

Hopefully, whatever Tabeann's response, it would result in him being given the cue to speak plainly.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The ancient adhiel lady listened politely to Morgan's words, nodding once as he was done, but did not move from her spot, lapsing into silence that lasted several long flickers. "I am not sure why this secrecy is needed after what took place, but I admit that my interest in the book has been less active since it was taken away. Come, let us go to my office and talk more freely." She turned towards Danomel and then back towards the young mage before her. "Danomel, I am not sure how you are involved in this, but you are free to come if Master Scrylock agrees. The choice is his."

With that she rose and waited a few steps away, giving the boys a few flickers of time to discuss how to proceed, moving only once Morgan rose to join her. He was led down a long passage lined with shelves upon shelves of books and notes, Mistress Tabeann opening a door and holding it open for the young man. She was the last to enter, closing the door behind her and murmuring a few soft words before sitting down, a surge of Aetheric energy covering the wooden frame they have just passed through. The room was simple, containing a word table, a bed and a few chairs scattered about. She moved to the desk, sweeping her arm over the room ,indicating the empty chairs. "We should have privacy here. How can I help you?"
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel nodded towards Tabeann. “I will leave the choice up to Master Scrylock then. I must admit my curiosity has been raised concerning the nature of the issues that raise such a need of confidentiality in Morgan here. But then secrets tend to do that, make people curious that is. As for my involvement, I merely provided what aid I was able to a person who looked to be in the need of aid.”

Turning to Morgan, Danomel continues. “Your choice sir, I admit a certain curiosity, but if my presence causes you some discomfort, I will respect your wishes.”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Morg

Post by Morg »

There were several potential reasons for wanting to keep the events surrounding the book under wraps, and Morgan was surprised that the Archivist didn't see the need for secrecy. The reputations of all those involved, including Tabeann herself, were at issue, as well as those of the Shadowstar and the University of Magick, although the latter two would be of less interest to the Archivist. Perhaps even more importantly, the knowledge of the absence of such a book could lead to panic among the population and a lack of faith in the forces protecting the island, as well as to heightened interest among dark mages. All of these possible negative consequences were good enough reasons for Morgan at least to wish to remain secretive, quite apart from the fact that he'd been specifically instructed to do so.

Morgan pursed his lips for a few flickers, considering whether or not to let Danomel in on the conversation. If Tabeann trusts him enough to allow him to hear about this, he concluded, then there's no reason I shouldn't. Elvin had warned him to keep a low profile, but one more person in the loop would probably do no harm. Besides, he found himself quite liking the helpful Danomel.

"No, no," he said at length. "You are welcome to hear this if you wish. I would ask you to exercise discretion in mentioning this matter to anyone, but I'm sure that won't be a problem for someone in your line of work." Anyone working in the Imperial Archives was likely to be highly attuned to the immense value of information, perhaps even more so than Morgan himself. "And to tell the truth," he added, "I would feel more than a little guilty about keeping you in the dark."

Morgan followed Tabeann down the passage to her office, glancing appreciatively at the ward she used and trying to memorise its weave for his own future use. Sitting down heavily in a chair, he looked up at the two archivists. "I'm not sure how much you know," he said to Danomel, "so I'll start from the beginning. Some time ago, a book came to the attention of Professor Motricé at the University of Magick - and not just any book. It was one of the volumes of the Liber Maleficarius, perhaps the most definitive work on the Dark Arts and the landscape of the Nether ever written." He paused to let this sink in.

"The book corrupts through more than just its words. It has a consciousness of sorts, and resisted the Professor at first. With a little help, however..." ...from me and Becca... "...he was able to subjugate it and keep it warded safely away within the University. But he didn't want to stop there. So he assembled a group of powerful individuals to destroy it."

Try as he might, Morgan was unable to keep the disapproval from his expression when he got to this part of the story. Despite his great respect for Elvin, his own ideas for the book were so strongly opposed to the Professor's that his unschooled face couldn't help but betray him for a flicker. Taking a breath, he continued, gesturing politely to Tabeann. "The Imperial Archivist here was one of those individuals. But the attempt to destroy it failed. Someone replaced the book with a convincing replica shortly before the ritual was due to take place. When the replica was destroyed it was immediately obvious to the Professor that it was not the real thing. The book had escaped."

Morgan crossed his legs and switched his attention solely to the adhiel. "This is where you can help me. I'm investigating what happened on behalf of the Professor, and as you can see I have decided to start with the six people who were involved in the ritual - the only six people who should have known of it before it happened." The magus left the implication unsaid: the six prime suspects for removing the book. He didn't think that either Danomel or Tabeann would miss it, though. For the flicker he paused, waiting to see the two's reactions.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Liber Maleficarius!? That title keeps popping up like the proverbial bad banner! Danomel thought to himself. So the book has escaped from the University. No surprise there, in spite of Barretts assertions of it being safely contained.

Danomel could not help but notice the change in Morgans expression when he spoke of the plans to destroy the cursed artifact. While Danomel could sympathize with the position Morgan obviously held, was there something more here?

No, Morgan is merely following a logical course of investigation. The thoughts rolled through Danomels mind as he listened. Still it is unlikely that the person responsible would reveal anything to questioning.
With but a slight frown upon his lips, Danomel waited for Tabeann’s response. He felt he was right in his previous assessment, this was definitely interesting…

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

A small frown lingered upon Tabeann's face as Morgan spoke, though she did not interrupt his explanation. "I am aware of its powers, and I must say that I too disagreed with the professor as to how the book should have been dealt with. We Aurelians abhor destruction of knowledge, no matter the danger it brings along. But, I was over-ruled and.... Well, you know how it ended." She rose then, and beckoned Morgan and Danomel to follow her. "Come, let me show you something."

She led the way a bit further down the hall, pulling a chain from her pocket, an intricately carved key hanging from it. The door opened, revealing a bare chamber, its only feature a simple stone slab and a small piece of rock upon it. It was shaped into a rough sphere, bearing a pinkish tinge to it. "Do you know what that is?" She paused, but answered the question herself. "A rosestone. An artifact that denies magick. STep into that chamber and all the years of study and training will be for naught. You won't be able to perform even a parlor trick. We should have used that to study the book, since its power would have been nulled by the powers of the stone. But.... Your Professor insisted that he had seen enough of the book and that it should have been destroyed." The frown turned into a scowl here, her voice carrying a slightly angry tone. "With only his word for it, I assisted them with the ritual, but it seems someone else understood the value of the book and sought it out. And without the rosestone to protect them, they are likely to get corrupted and very powerful if legends of the Liber are true." She sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. "I know only one man who could go through the book and remain relatively untouched. And that is not your Professor. Frankly I wonder if he even tried to study the book or simply decided it was too dangerous and sought to destroy it because he himself could not study it."
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomels frown deepened slightly as they walk down the hall as he considered Morgan’s recent comments. He felt that he was not connecting the various event elements correctly, or maybe his initial conceptualization was somewhat out of order.

It was also somewhat disconcerting to see Tabeann reaction. Normally calm and collected, to incite this much reaction indicated that she was very disturbed by the whole affair. And certainly, Danomel could understand the feeling.

Turning towards Morgan, Danomel mentally forced himself to relax the displeasure from his countenance, seeking a more neutral line. After all, Morgan was not the instrument of either the theft or the attempt to destroy the book. Several questions were at the forefront of his mind. Won’t do any good to antagonize Morgan, as he is only following a logical course of investigation, though I might question how effective it could possibly be. Another question is if this is Morgan’s first stop, as he had not really said, though that was the impression given. Better that one not asked at the moment. More importantly, what will be his ultimate goal for the book?

“If I may ask,” Danomel began, keeping his voice neutral, “if this project bares fruit, what will your intent be with regard to the future custody and disposition of book?”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Morg

Post by Morg »

Morgan's attention was on Tabeann, and he followed her response with interest. It seemed that his own lack of self-control in expressing his feelings about the destruction of the book had elicited a reaction in the Archivist that was far more positive than anything he'd hoped for. I came here hoping to question a suspect, maybe pick up a few leads. Instead it seems I might have found some potential allies.

Any elation he might have felt, however, vanished as soon as the full import of the rosestone hit him. Sorcery was Morgan's crutch, his little friend, the one weapon he could wield to protect himself from the unpleasant outside world. Even at this range he thought he could feel the tiny gem making his skin tingle and his hackles rise. His face, in the meantime, had gone even more pale than usual. Nullification of his magical prowess was right up there on Morgan's list of Very Bad Things, just below death and roughly on a par with castration.

Tabeann's words were interesting, and questions sprang to mind immediately - and then Danomel asked a perceptive question of his own, one that made Morgan wince a little inside. He took a flicker to collect his thoughts before responding.

"I have no plan set in stone," he said eventually. "All I know is that the book should not be destroyed. Along with its six sister volumes it is the definitive work on the Dark Arts." Gentle enthusiasm seeped into the student's voice slightly through the floodgates of calm neutrality. "If we were to destroy it we would be robbing ourselves of an invaluable resource - a guide to the workings of the dark sorcerer's twisted mind. In war it is essential to know one's enemy. The best way to fight the application of the Dark Arts is to have an extensive knowledge of the possibilities they offer. Without that, we're fighting blind." The military metaphor was perhaps inappropriate for a conversation with archivists, but Morgan felt it was important to reinforce their understanding of what was at stake. "So I will try to persuade Professor Motricé to retain it - and if I cannot do that, I will do all I can to ensure that the book falls into the hands of those who understand how to glean knowledge from it safely, and with the right motives." He looked meaningfully from Tabeann to Danomel as he said this. In light of what they had said, the Archives did after all seem to be the best place for the book to be held.

He did not mention the danger of using the book: its semi-sentience, its power of corruption to which the senior archivist had alluded. Morgan was beginning to doubt, in fact, whether those powers could be wholly negated by the rosestone. Certainly the direct Netheric influence could be prevented by the magical vacuum it exuded, but what if the key to its darkness was held within the combination of words itself? Reading the book in close proximity to the Rosestone would then be safe until the reader left its presence. Then Khar-Naahrn's foul poetry, having planted its seeds in the reader's memory, would begin to have its effect...

But now was not the time for such thoughts. "I have two more questions, if I may," he continued. "First, you mentioned a man who might have the power to resist the Liber. May I ask who that man is? And second..." He exhaled through gritted teeth. This one would be difficult to phrase. "If you believed strongly that destroying the book was not the right thing to do... why would you agree to help with it? I mean, you don't strike me as the type to jump in without considering the consequences."

It was the only part of the Archivist's story that didn't ring true. He vaguely remembered reading that one of the dictates of the Thinker was that a book should never be destroyed under any circumstances. So why would she make an exception with only Elvin's word to go on?
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

As Morgan was responding to his question, Danomel moved several steps closer to the rosestone. Curiosity was getting the best of him again, as he shifted his perception slightly to view the aether for a flicker. Wonder what the effective radius is? Should follow that it is less than the radius of the chamber one would think.

Moving back to Morgan and Tabeann, Danomel noted the change in Morgan. Something was obviously effecting him. He glanced back towards the rosestone for a moment as another thought occurred to him. Noland, for whom any sense of normality in his everyday life required the presence of the aether, would find himself totally out of his element anywhere around this stone.

As Morgan asked his two questions of Tabeann, Danomel suddenly found the detail that had been eluding him. Funny thing, the time you stop looking for something is usually the time you find it! He thought to himself.

Leaning slightly towards Morgan with the slightest bit of eagerness in his voice, and hoping Tabeann would not think him rude, as Morgan had questioned her directly, Danomel asked Morgan another question. “Pardon me, but first, I would like to ask who else made up this group of six?”

He glanced towards Tabeann and back to Morgan. He can’t possibly think it a big secret at this point, can he?

(Avatar by LEW 1998)

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”