Imperial Archives (Chyril 26th MT)

Moderator: Mods

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"I was over-ruled. They all wanted to destroy the book and though I disagreed and refused to accept their reasons, I could not go against the majority. I am not infallible and though destruction of such a source of knowledge goes against everything I hold dear and proper, and against the dictates of my faith, but I did understand the danger the book would pose if it fell into wrong hands. And......" She sighed, lowering her eyes as she tried to push her frustration away, the pair of men completely undeserving of her anger, having little to do with the decision to destroy the book, turning to be allies of a sort even. "I am sorry, but truth of it is that I understand that I am not infallible and the only reason I tried to help the others was because I would not dare presume I am always right. Just because I think something is wrong does not make it so, and if others all say otherwise I have to comply. Or rather I do not have to, but I felt it was my duty to help them remove a dangerous magickal artifact, since they would not allow me to study it under safe conditions."

Danomel investigation on the stone's field of effect proved futile in the end, the absence of Aether around the stone making in nearly impossible for him to gauge how far the field extended. An educated guess made it to be at least twenty feet in diameter, which would make it encompass the entire room, save for a little bit of space in the corners. "I was referring to Simon Ginneke, Imperial Thaumaturgist. He may be young, and at times take insane risks, but he has been through a lot and has an almost intuitive grasp of Aether. I am not sure why he was not invited to participate in the destruction of the book, but I suspect he would have been against the venture. He has a very Aurelian view towards knowledge, especially knowledge pertaining to magick."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Morg

Post by Morg »

"Of course," Morgan replied to Danomel. "There were three Professors from the University: Moore and Peckerton as well as Professor Motricé. The other two were Mother Abeaja, a priestess of the Mother, and Vanir Alfheim, a priest of Pan. With the exception of Professor Motricé, this is my first stop on the list."

In some respects it had been a productive stop, as well. He had the name of someone else who might be able to help and who might feel the same way about the book as he did. If the Imperial Thaumaturgist was as powerful as Tabeann claimed, he had the potential to be a useful ally. Furthermore, it seemed that the archivists themselves were 'on his side'... for his present purposes, at least. That just left him with the one problem he'd originally been hoping to solve. Because, practically speaking, he was no nearer to finding the Liber Maleficarius than he had been when he arrived.

"Thank you for being so open with me," Morgan said to the adhiel with a half-smile. Either that or she's a masterful liar. But I get the feeling she's telling me the truth about all of this. The smile vanished as the implications of the book being on the loose worked its way back into his mind. "You said yourself how dangerous this book could be if it fell into the wrong hands. And since we don't know where it is, we need to assume the worst: that that is exactly what happened." The possibilities were indeed terrifying. Morgan had rarely considered how the Changer had been summoned to the Citadel, or how the Book of Change had made its way to the Temple of Pan, but in both cases it was likely that a mortal agent had been involved. If that agent had got his hands on the Liber again, all their work at the Temple and at Carling's Point might as well have been for nothing, because the darkness would return as sure as it crept in every night at eveningtide.

"So it's essential that we locate it," he continued heavily. "And now it's my turn to make an admission. I don't think I can find it on my own." They've been honest to you. Might as well be completely honest in return. He sighed. "I have almost nothing to go on. The Liber went missing, seemingly without a trace, months ago. All I can do is follow up on six leads. And given that they were asked to participate in the ritual, each one of them is probably powerful enough to squash me like a fly if I start snooping around asking uncomfortable questions."

He began to twine his long fingers around one another, his green-brown eyes glancing down at the floor then back up again to focus on Danomel and Tabeann. "I came here to try to squeeze information out of you," he admitted frankly. "But now I'm asking for your help."
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Motricé was one of the six, so technically Morgan should already be two thirds done. Yet Motricé was the name of the professor sponsoring this investigation. This was the bit that did not fit quiet right. Motricé should not be the one sponsoring the investigation for a whole host of reasons, political and otherwise. At least that was the obvious conclusion with the information that Danomel had available to him at the moment. The level of secrecy with which this was being approached, though unlikely, might cause him to be the sponsor. Again, the general lack of information made a reliable conclusion impossible. In which case, he would have to rely on his gut instinct.

As to locating the book, Danomel was in agreement with Morgan to a certain extent. While probably necessary, he doubted any conclusive results would arise from questioning everyone involved. However, considering the nature of the book, there were several other possible avenues of investigation. In fact there might be a way to shortcut the whole investigation, but he would save that for a last resort.

“Beyond questioning those involved, there are a few other avenues to explore” Danomel began. “Not knowing how sentiment the book is, I would speculate that in some way or form it will want to be used. To avoid this, whoever has it would have to have access to extraordinary safeguards. When used, for lack of a better term, some sort of weirdness will likely result. Therefore it would seem reasonable to examine odd or unusual events that have occurred since the book went missing. If there are some, and they are localized to a particular area, it might be a place to examine more closely. If there are none, then it will indicate something of the capabilities of whoever has the book. Either way, the field of possibilities would be narrowed somewhat.”
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Tabeann smiled and nodded at Morgan's praise, not saying much, as he mind worked on finding a solution based on the new information she had just been given. She had no doubt that the other members of the group who had attempted to destroy the book were all working on locating it, but it had been a host of individual attempts. She had allies now, though she was still a bit wary of Morgan, wondering if this was perhaps Elvin's trick to get her to admit she had been behind the theft of the book. No, he is not that devious. Besides, I don't have the book anymore. And I can't go after it alone.

Danomel seemed to have a plan, and Tabeann was quick to add her thoughts on it. "He is right. I have tried scrying for the book's location, but as I suspected that is no easy feat. Were it that easy, the book would not have been lost for all these yahren, but most likely destroyed a century ago by some overzealous religious or sorcerous group." She paused and frowned for a flicker. "You could try seeking out Kitlanya Redault too. The girl was possessed by a succubus demon a few months ago before she went mad. There were rumors she was linked to some sort of cult. She might know who would be interested in taking the book, provided you manage to make sense of her words."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel nodded at the suggestion, as he mentally started thinking about the best way to collect information on unusual events in the city. The thought of talking with a woman who was once possessed was both a bit unnerving, as well as strangely compelling.

Taking another look at the rosestone and the room that contained it, he wondered how long it had been there.

There were several thoughts playing in his mind that needed answers. Turning towards Morgan, he hesitated a moment before speaking. “Morgan please do not take this the wrong way but…, just to be clear the main objective here is to locate the book so that it can be properly, uh… contained is as good a word as any. So the book can be retrieved, and properly contained.”

Danomel, pauses for a flicker then levels his gaze at Morgan. “That is, we need to remain neutral, and follow the path wherever it leads.” With an apologetic glance at Tabeann, Danomel continues, “After all, we both have connections to some of the people who are intimately involved.”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Morg

Post by Morg »

A little word, 'we'. When Danomel used the pronoun, Morgan was at first surprised, then rather irritated, then finally content. I'm not alone in this investigation any more. And that, after all, was what he wanted: an ally. Meeting Danomel's gaze, he replied. "Agreed. We will remain neutral. Being partisan will get us nowhere... our aim is to locate the book."

Redault. Morgan had heard the name in passing. Old nobility. The rumours surrounding the daughter had even reached his ears; the University of Magick was a hotbed for chatter about possible daemonic involvement. He addressed Tabeann. "Where would she be kept? The daughter, I mean. Do you know if she still lives at the mansion? Or did they take her somewhere more... secure?" Either way it would be difficult to get in contact with her. He imagined that her parents wouldn't be too keen on keeping their crazy daughter on show to the public. More likely they'd keep a tight reign on her and protect her from the outside world. So it would be tough - but not impossible. Morgan had a brain in his head, and so, it appeared, did Danomel. And if that failed, they always had magic to fall back on.

"At any rate, we should investigate this girl," he continued. "At the same time we can look out for any signs of... weirdness. I was unfortunate enough to encounter the book's effects before it was captured by Professor Motricé in the first place, so I should be able to recognise it if I come across it." He sucked some air in through his teeth. "Look out for gigantic insects, for one thing."
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Tabeann seemed pleased with how things had played out, smiling as two men before her came to an agreement, It seemed that there was a chance that the book would not be destroyed after all, and though she could not reveal all she knew of the book and events leading to its disappearance, she was willing to help the boys find it themselves, with just a bit of guidance. "I do not know where Kitlanya Redault could be, though I am almost certain she is not in the Redault mansion anymore. Not after what happened there. If I were to hazard a guess, which I am loathe to do I would say you should start at the old Verlaux Manor. I heard a private hospital for the mentally unstable has been opened recently and Kitlanya could be there. I fear only Lord Redault would know for certain."
Morg

Post by Morg »

The mage nodded and sucked his teeth. "Thank you once again," he replied politely to Tabeann. The Redault parents were likely to be protective of their daughter - but an asylum for the rich would likely be equally protective of its inmates. Nevertheless, at least now they had somewhere to start.

"How do you suggest we proceed?" Morgan turned his full attention to Danomel now. "I think we should probably make a visit to this hospital... but even if she is there, the wardens are unlikely to let us in to see her... without a better reason, or a higher authority." He frowned. "Do you have any suggestions?"

The question was genuine. Morgan had only the very vaguest glimmerings of an idea, and he could tell it wasn't going to be a particularly good one. Hopefully his new 'partner' would be more inspired.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

“Reconnoiter! First things first, need to get the lay of the land so to speak. Need a good deal more information about the hospital and what goes on there, before an effective plan can be formulated.” Danomel answered Morgan. Not much of an answer, but he would feel better with a bit more information, before trying to penetrate the hospital.

“At some point we need to stop by the Temple of Pan, and the Temple of the Mother. Interview two more of the participants.”

“Should probably also check with the city guard for unusual occurrences. Can I assume someone at the University would be tracking disturbances of a mystical nature?”

“Will probably need to work the local rumor mills also, which means the markets and some of the better known hangouts.”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Morg

Post by Morg »

Morgan nodded in agreement. We need more information before we can act. It was definitely the sort of answer one might expect from an archivist. Fortunately, it suited Morgan fine. The student magus was usually cautious by nature, and despite his burning desire to get his hands on the book the rational part of him still urged prudence.

"I imagine all three of the Professors involved in the ritual will have attempted to scry for the Liber," he answered. "And general magical disturbances would be picked up by the University, if they were of sufficient strength... but as you say," he nodded to Tabeann, by now a more passive participant in the discussion, "it may be difficult to locate by magical means, especially if the book's new owner doesn't want it to be found and neither does the book. We will likely have more luck pursuing more mundane channels of information."

Morgan wasn't convinced how useful it would be to 'work the rumour mills'. They had a lead to follow, and it would perhaps be most sensible to follow it up straight away rather than starting elsewhere from scratch. However, it was certainly true that they would have more success if they had some knowledge of how the hospital functioned. Talking to the city guard was a good idea, and it was still important to follow up the remaining participants in the ritual.

The magus thought through his schedule. He was still committed to heading to Pax with Becca, but he was hoping that the trip wouldn't last too long. "I have some work that needs doing in the next day or two," he spoke, "as I'm sure do you. Perhaps we should go our separate ways, find out what we can as best we can, and then meet to compare notes at the Temple of the Mother... at the start of eveningtide tomorrow?"
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

“Very well.” Dnaomel responded with a slight frown. “That seems reasonable enough. Who knows, we might just get lucky.”

The disappearance of the book had set several wheels of thoughts running through Danomels mind. Unfortunately, none of which he felt were really appropriate to share with Morgan at this particular time.

Glancing at the other two, Danomel waited a few flickers for any additional comments or thoughts. “Till tomorrow evening then.” He said with a slight nod to Morgan.

Danomel felt he was going to have to talk with Tabeann after Morgan departed.

Danomel did not know how far Morgans investigation had progressed, though it looked like he did come here first. Which made sense; after all of those involved in the ritual, Tabeann had the best motivation, though everyone involved had opportunity. And most probably everyone had the means.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Morg

Post by Morg »

"Until tomorrow evening," Morgan echoed. "I thank you both for your time and involvement in this endeavour." An endeavour that may deliver the Liber into my hands. He smiled, but was troubled by the thought. At what point did that become my primary objective? At what point did I put my own desires above the need to protect the Citadel from its influence?

The thought was uncomfortable, so he put it out of mind as he bade goodbye to the two archivists and attempted to find his way back out of the Citadel. It had already been a long morningtide, and yet he felt he was one step closer to getting what he wanted.

Whatever it is I want...

(OOC: Fin for Morgan, I think! Thanks guys. :D)
Last edited by Morg on Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel watched Morgan’s back recede for several flickers, before turning to Tabeann.

“Mistress Taeann, if you have a moment, I feel I must comment on the obvious. There was a reason Master Scrylock came here first. And there are a few things that just do not feel right about this situation.”

Glancing back the way Morgan went, Danomel looks to see that he has past from sight, before continuing. “You said you were outvoted. Was it a close vote, say two to four? Is there someone else with equal motivation and means that I should focus on? Of the six, the ones at the University could be considered to have the best opportunity. It seems a logical conclusion that Morgan has not divulged the entire truth of this matter either.”

Danomel sighed. “Not that it makes a difference one way or the other at this point. Though it might be helpful in tracking down the book, to know where it has been.”

There is a slight hardening around the corners of Danomels eyes. “The only thing that is for sure at this point is that it does not belong in the University, to much temptation in that regard.”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The Imperial Archivist bid Morgan farewell, arching a brow as Danomel lingered behind, locking the door that kept the Rosestone safe, her reply to the young man's question slow in coming. "I was the only one who was directly against it. Mother Abeaja was unsure if it should be destroyed or studied first. Moore and Motrice were the only ones strongly in favor of the books destruction. Especially Moore." She shrugged and sighed, closing her eyes and aging visibly before Danomel's eyes, though it lasted but a flicker, a smile sending the dark shadow away. "I am sorry if I can not be more helpful, but if I were in your shoes, I would be your first suspect. I do not deny I wanted the book saved, but I assure you that I do not have it anymore. You'll have to look elsewhere. And there are many people who would do anything to get their hands on that book."
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

“Do not have it any more? Interesting choice of words.” Danomel glances back towards the room containing the rosestone. “Not that I am in disagreement with the sentiment, the book is a resource and needs to be protected. I wouldconjecture that as to the how, I am likely to be at some odds with Master Morgan though.”

“I fear you are right, in that there are many that would seek to gain access to what the book portents, becoming mere pawns to the forces they would unleash.”

Danomel turns back towards Tabeean. “ The Lady Lucienda comes to mind almost immediately.”

“Speaking of which, your mention of scrying brings another thought to mind. How does one go about actually scrying for something?

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

There was a look of surprise mixed with something akin to annoyance on Tabeann's face when Danomel repeated her words and called her comment interesting, the lines on her face quickly smoothed out, as she shrugged. "Were I the person who stole the book, you would have seen it within that very chamber." She pointed towards the door behind which the rosestone resided. "As for Lucienda's involvement in the books theft I am not sure she would have had the access to its location. Besides, she probably did not know of the Libre at all." The archivist's nose wrinkled as she spoke of the female half of Marcada twins. "She is a pain in the neck, and I would not be surprised if she did meddle in dark arts, but I doubt she has either the talent or the patience to achieve much. She is a spoiled noble brat that sees magick as a fashionable past-time."

She motioned for Danomel to follow her, walking back towards the section of the archives where Morgan and he found her initially and explained on the way. "I fear my knowledge of scrying is rather limited. I know the basics, but it is mostly theoretical knowledge. You would need to seek advice at the University of Magick. You could ask Imperial Thaumaturgist Master Ginneke for help, but if you do all I can do is wish you good luck. He is perhaps the most knowledgeable mage in the Citadel on that subject, but he is a very difficult man." She paused a flicker and turned into the right passage, finding the scrolls she was working on and went back to placing them in their proper places. "I can explain the basics to you if you wish, but my knowledge is extremely limited"
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

“That sounds like a good place to start, and I would appreciate it.” Danomel responded. “I don’t expect to become an expert, but I am finding that actually doing things, no mater how simple, helps one understand the basics.”
Last edited by Danomel on Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Mistress Tabeann nodded and this time did not stop her work, rather explaining as she was sorting the books, pausing only long enough to check the titles and then start placing them in their assigned spots. "Scrying is not as simple as most people think. You can not will yourself to see what another person is doing by simply using a crystal ball. In fact crystal ball is probably not the most common scrying object as many mages prefer mirrors to the ball, as they have a flat surface and thus do not distort the image like the ball does." She paused to see if he was following, moving down the shelf and keeping her voice steady, expecting Danomel to follow. "Apart from the projection surface you also need a focus for the spell. Something that will help you locate the person or object you are seeking. It could be an object that belonged to the person in question, a piece of his clothing, a memory of his or her face. Objects are somewhat harder to locate as you need to have extensive knowledge of their nature and find some way to utilize it as a focus. Stronger the focus, more easily will the object or person be located. What separates good scirers from merely average is not their skill at magick, but rather their talent in choosing good focus. And that is something that you can't learn from books."
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel feel in step with Tabeann, listening carefully to her words. He found nothing of real surprise there, and in fact had been what he would have expected for a description of scrying. After all, without having some idea of what one was looking for would lead to literally thousands of possibilities, if not millions, to sort through. But how to start the process was still in question. There had to be more than just staring into a mirror and thinking about what you wanted to find.

“So would I be correct in assuming that knowledge of what one is seeking creates an affinity within the process, excluding the millions of items that do not fit, which could still leave millions of matches. And the more the detailed ones mental picture the more narrow the range of possible matches. But how does one start the process? Is it a passive or active?”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"Well, you have me there, as I have never performed a scrying myself. Again, I can provide you with the theory I have glimpsed from the books, but actual practices are best taught by someone who has performed it at some point." She paused a flicker, sorting through her memory, the amount of knowledge she had amassed over actual centuries of her life staggering. "If I recall correctly, there are two ways to perform the ritual. One is to use a previously enchanted scrying object. One need only place the focus upon the object or touch it if the focus is mental. But, that is done only when scrying is performed on a regular basis."

She paused in her work and turned to face Danomel. "The other approach is to find an object that could serve as a projector, be it a mirror, a glass ball or perhaps a simple chalice filled with clear liquid. Next the person performing the scrying channels the energy from into the scrying object, passing it through the focus and tries to create a link between the essence of the scrying target still present in the focus and the focus itself. With a bit of practice, one can create an image of the scried upon object or at least receive a vision of its location."
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel nodded as he considered the words. It seemed a bit like the first time one perceives the aether. Being hard to understand till one actually does it. “Thank you for the explanation, I was curious.”

“I guess I had better get moving. There are a lot of things to do in the next several days.”

Danomel looks in the general direction of the rosestone room. “When the book is located, I would surmise there is going to be some disagreement about what should become of it. At some point I feel it might need to be transported rapidly and safely to where it will next rest. How would one go about safely handling such an item?”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

“Good bye, Danomel, I am glad I could be of assistance.” Mistress Tabeann had already went back to her work, when the archivist spoke again, causing her to turn towards him and sigh tiredly, lowering her eyes, as yahren showed upon her face and frame once more, for more than just a flicker this time. “I am not so sure anymore. Perhaps it is best if the Libre is destroyed, so something like this does not happen again. As much as it pains me and as much as I know Aurelius does not approve of it, I am simply not sure. What if we find it, only to lose it again and perhaps never regain it.” She shook her head and clutched a book to her chest. “I would love to read it at least once, but not if it meant to risk losing it again. Future will tell.”
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel nods in silent agreement, about the future anyway, before taking his leave.

Returning to his quarters, Danomel takes some time to meditate upon the book and its current fate, as well as its unknown future fate. Dropping into an attitude of prayer, he petitions Aleruis for guidance on the disposition of the book.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

locked, skilled, summarised, archived
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”