UoM: The face in the Sand (GT Chyril 26th)

Moderator: Mods

Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

UoM: The face in the Sand (GT Chyril 26th)

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

Within the privacy of his own chambers, Ashtallion stood looking out of the window, the light within the room was unusually dim, possibly reflecting the darkening mood of the currently frowning sorcerer. He watched the lights of the Citadel below him, his quarters relatively high up within one of the university spires. The events of the previous eveningtide, the fire at the Red Rose Guild had not been a pleasent end to the coronation party. He hoped Ashari was faring at best at possible. The Guild Mistress had run into a string of bad luck recently it seemed, but he had promised her he would aid her where he could, with his title and his sorcery.

With his last thought, he turned his attention to the book that lay upon his desk. His aetheric senses once more reached out to ensure the wards he had placed about the room still held before moving closer to it. The Secrets of Creation and next to it, the ever still mysterious bag of sand, the face within which he had yet to see since their last conversation. Every eveningtide he lay it out for a short period, in the event the woman would once again contact him. His burning desire to know the power that was contained within the pages of the book fuelled him, heightening though the anticipation and frustration he constantly sought to dampen to little avail.

Ashtallion gestured with a finger, sending several threads of heat out towards the other candles within his chamber. The shadows had helped to cool him, he felt safe within them, but should the face within the sand appear, he wanted to see it clearly again. If the candles lit, he assumed a circular pacing around his desk, one elbow propped against his folded arm and his fingers lightly tapping on his lips as he continued to mull over his thoughts.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The bag was thrown open and the sand within rushed into the air. It flew up in a cloud and as it dropped the forehead, cheeks and lips of the lady in the sand appeared. Gone was the smug arrogance and certainty of their last conversation. Her eyes were wide and her lips drawn tight.

"Ashtallion!" She said in relief. "Are we alone? It is safe where you are?" She asked hurriedly.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

The mage froze for a moment at the first rustling sound as the bad of sand opened, he whipped around, his golden hair spinning and spillling across his face as he stopped. There was something different about the woman, he could see and almost sense it as soon as her face formed in the air.

Upon hearing, what he thought sounded like urgency, in her voice he stepped forward. " We are as safe as I can make us.....and alone... ", his head cocked to the side, once again making sure his wards held, ones that would repell any uinvited onlookers.

"Has something happened?", the sorcerer asked as he returned his attention to her. Though he tried to appear outwardly calm, inside his gut physically clenched and a wave of nausea spread through him. Is my Book in danger?!
Last edited by Ashtallion Urdil on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Explanations can wait until I am safe. Stand clear." She instructs. Sand flies forth from the bag is ever growing quantities. The head floats over a vortex of sand and rapidly settles out into the curvaceous form of a young woman. With his Aetheric sight, Ashtallion saw the energies of earth swiftly become replaced by those of life until the full spectrum of energies that denote a living being stood before him.

The sand fell away to reveal a gorgeous lady. Her every curve was perfectly placed and her leather clothing tightly hugged and showed them off. She shook the sand from her hair and smiled at Ashtallion. "Sorry for the flashy entrance but circumstances made it necessary. A pleasure to meet you at last."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

As the woman made her impressive entrance, Ashtallion could not help but act on instinct. He quickly drew energy together, forming a shield around himself and prepared to fashion a savage spell to unleash if need be. The fact that this magic was the power to penetrate his wards, small as they were, suggested she had a command over sorcery that he did not.

However, as she addressed him, he sensed nothing hostile and although he disregarded the offensive weaving, the sorcerer was not about to drop his mystical defenses just yet.

"Yes, tis indeed a pleasure.", golden eyes searched her face, roaming over her sculpted figure. If he were that way inclined he would certainly have paused to consider her lovely form more closely. As it was, the mage was simply assessing her. "You can imagine that I have a great many questions. However, I can offer you any refreshments before you explain your intentions more clearly for me?", he had not forgotten what they spoke about during the last conversation, yet he wanted more answers and only hoped she was going to provide them. Ashtallion doubted severely that he would be able to force answers out of this woman. For all her apparent charm and physical attractiveness, the sorcerer knew enough to know she could be dangerous.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Ashtallion could tell that her defenses were up as well. The shield was basic but strong. On the Aether she was swathed in shadows for protection. From time to time, Ashtallion thought he caught a glimpse of power from behind her shields, a magically empowered artifact of some kind but he could not get a good enough read to confirm it. Also, the sand and the bag were now completely inert magically. She may have breached his wards but it was a trick she would not manage twice.

She shook her head as his offer of refreshments. "Perhaps when this night's work is finished." She suggested. "I'll get right to the point, Ashtallion. You've seen or heard of the fighting in the streets? Citadel is becoming one big crossfire for two very dangerous factions and I for one do not intend to be caught in the middle or to miss the opportunities that might come at such a time.

She caught sight of the book and smiled. It was the smile of an hungry woman upon sighting a feast. "There is a conjunction in the stars tonight, Ashtallion. Tonight there are pages in this book that will not open again for decades. Shall we read them together?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

That this woman might not be a Sorceress herself was intriguing. Who exactly had given her such a powerful mystical artifact? However, obscured by such shadowy energy, the mage could not be certain of what he glimpsed. Ashtallion listened to her as she spoke of the two warring factions, he had of coiurse heard something, yet he wasn't particularly interested in a war of Thieves and cut-throats so the specifics were unknow to him. The sorcerer never answered her though, remaining silent and expressionless, thar was until her attention was drawn to the book and Ashtallion's gaze followed hers.

He could not have missed that hungry smile, a spark of unease flamed within him, or perhaps it was jealousy? That he would have to share the secrets of what he had come to consider His book with someone else......he hated it.

Moving towards his desk, barely making a sound except for the robes he wore that were as black as pitch. The sorcerer often thought the black set his golden locks off very nicely. He stood before the book now, almost protectively, a hand reaching out to simply hover over the cover. Ashtallion had placed further wards of his own fashioning over the book. With a muttered word, the wards were dispelled and he picked the ancient book up in both hands.

Ashtallion eyed her warily. "Very well, I have waited long enough to find out more of the power held within these pages. If you have the knowledge of how to read the words without the magic controlling you, then as I stated previously, I will accept your aid.", the gilded sorcerer motioned for her to come closer. "What is your name? I would know what to call those that help me... "
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"My name is Sezja." She said simply. "And I have been waiting for this for a long time. This is a book that does not often like to be found, Ashtallion." Sezja licked her lips. "You know of its protections. No scrying would locate this book and no ward would hold it if it chose to be elsewhere. Makes you wonder why it has revealed itself to you, doesn't it?" Her azure eyes met Ashtallion's for a moment before she returned her gaze to the book.

"Hold it strong Ashtallion." Sezja warned. "It may not like this." In his studies as a mage, Ashtallion has come across many languages. The tongues of man and adhiel, modern and archaic, were well known to him. He knew scraps of dwarvish and gnomish from alchemical terms and some of the higher weaves draws on a language purported to have come from the dragons themselves. The sounds that issued forth from Sezja's throat sounded like none of them. The words were guttural yet sweet upon the ear and caused one's tongue to twist when trying to mouth along.

The book shook in Ashtallion's hands and pages flipped forth as though a strong wind blew through the room. A ward upon a section of pages glowed brightly and then faded all together. The book fell open to a page crisp and clear. Written upon it was a table of contents with four entries each in a different hand.

Eternal Sanctuary

Powers of Stone

The Skein of Life

Breeching Barriers
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

"Well then, tis a pleasure to meet you, Sezja, in the flesh anyway.", he offered a small smile and a nod of his head. Listening to her, Ashtallion was somewhat dubious about the thought the book had revealed itself to him. However, he had no reasons to doubt the veracity of her claim. Plus, he knew how sentient the book actually was, so it was not a far off conclusion that it could have continued to hide itself for many more yahrens.

Upon her warning, he strengthened his grip, both physically, and mentally reinforcing the barriers within his own mind should the book try to break his will, for whatever reason. The sorcerer was highly intrigued by the unknown langauge that Sezja spoke, yet the fact he was going to be reading more from the book over-rode any other thoughts, demanding his full concentration.

Ashtallion made sure that he did not verbally speak the words, though he knew from previous experience, merely reading the text could yeild unforseen results. Still, making sure those inner barriers were well enforced, he read over the words displayed after the ward disappeared.

"Do you know what is contained within this section of the book. I have to admit to some unease as I assume the fact this section is warded and only available to read every several decades means this chapter contains potentially dangerous information or spells?", his eyes never turned from the pages, though his head did tilt towards Sezja ever so slightly as he spoke. "Appears that this book has passed through a number of sorcerers.....each adding his own knowledge. Interesting.", mayhap one day I will be able to add something myself.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Sezja slides up beside Ashtallion and her body lightly presses against his as she also takes a place to read from the book's pages. She spoke in a soft almost reverent tone. "From what little I have learned, the ward is more a demand for competency from those that would learn these secrets. The right to read them must be earned." She explained. "The timing issue is more straightforward. These spells tap sources of energy that only exist during the proper alignment of the Aether and Tether as revealed by the stars. These spells simply will not work at another time though some of the general principles could."

Sezja lovingly ran a finger down the page and paused next to the words Breeching Barriers. "The diary where I learned the words of release and binding spoke of this section. It spoke of an abandoned but heavily warded magician's tomb somewhere in the Seven Isles and he used this spell to cut through each and every ward in one mighty wave of negation." She smiled. "It also spoke of that effect being a minor application of the power of this section. 'No barrier would be proof against these magicks. None.'" She quoted. "Life and death? The walls between this moment and the next? The Tether itself?" Sezja purred. "Still, I have no need to break barriers, I think." Her fingers now rested over The Skein of Life and Powers of Stone. "These sound most intriguing to me. What speaks to you?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Breeching Barriers.....there would be no Sorcerer within the Empire capable of barring me. No ward or shield I could not smash my way through.

The thought made him feel virtually giddy. However, he pushed aside those potentially overwhelming feelings and focused on the task at hand. The Skien of Life, it spoke to him just as the title of this very book had spoke to him. He placed a finger under the title, not speaking for several long moments.

"This one. If there is time we can look through the others.....if not, I'm lucky to be blessed with hundreds of yahren ahead of me.", he glanced sideways at Sezja. "You will have to tell how to recognise the specific alignment of stars so I can open these passages in the future."

His attention returned to the book, the gilded sorcerer devouring the title in earnest. "The Skein of Life......shall we?"
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Help me to realize my chance here and now and such a trade will be a bargain." Sezja breathed. "Though you may need some training beyond the words themselves to speak them." She added without further elaboration. "Yes the Skein of Life. Let's read!"

The passage was written in an odd jumble of human and adhiel languages. The choice of language was deliberate though. Some thoughts can only be properly expressed in adhiel for the human language does not have the words and the same was true for some human thoughts. It started simply enough with a treatise on perceiving energy particularly the energy of a living being. Ashtallion remembered the time he first saw all the energies swirling within his own body and the pain he felt when he tried to manipulate an apparently vital bodily energy.

The archmage referred to these energies as the Skein and taught that if observed closely, the patterns in the Skein would tell you all that you wanted to know about yourself or another. Were they sick? Well? Hungry? Scared? Cursed? Possessed? The Skein would tell all if you learned how to read it. Then followed a long section of descriptive terms instructing what to look for and how to interpret it. This mage saw the energies of the world as glowing spheres that bounced off each other, merged into new spheres, or built on each other to form great structures within the body. Such long lists are usually dry reading but either the excitement of learning or some enchantment of the book made the reading quick and the recall deep.

Then the writing veered into the realm of divination. Not only could one determine the present state of a living being but by further observation one could read in the skein the past lives of the subject. You could see the fire that lead to the scar on her face or the pregnancies that stretched her frame. Recent changes or traumatic events were the easiest to view but with sufficient time or proper divination magics it would be possible to see the persons life from birth to the present.

But why stop there? Divination was as capable of viewing the future as the past after all. If it is ordained by the gods that a person was destined to do something it would be woven in their Skein as bright as a beacon for those that know what to look for.

As compelling as all this knowledge, the true power of this section of the book was still to come. On this day, by tapping the Eyes of Night and the Mother's Pool, and the Father's Mountain, if the will of the mage be strong and vision clear, it is possible to rewrite the Skein of Life. Those destined for unpleasant fates can avoid them; those without a great destiny can obtain one. All a mage had to do was risk the rewriting of their entire life if the energies of the spell went awry.

Sezja raised her eyes from the book and just looked at Ashtallion in shock.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion did not meet Sezja's gaze for several heartbeats, though he could almost sense the shock that was written on her features. This was certainly....interesting. His heart thudded loudly in his chest as his mind virtually screamed within the confines of his head. Here, was power. To re-write someones destiny......his skin tingled with the heady rush of blood as excitement coursed through him.

The sorcerer did not miss the risk however, and he re-read that sentence a few times as it sank in. Was he strong enough to accomplish such a task? Truely powerful enough to be able to re-write destiny. Ashtallion could barely fathom what such power must feel like. Yes, the previous eveingtide he had been fuelled with other energies.....the Guild and the fire....it was the strongest he had ever felt. But this.....

"What do you think, Sezja?", finally his golden eyes shifted and stared straight into hers, close as she was.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Sezka licked her lips and then swallowed before answering. "I think that I do not have the luxury of waiting for this chance to come again." She said at last. "I will regret not trying for the rest of my life if I walk away. But first we must be very sure we can read the Skein before we would ever hope to alter it."

"I've done things in my past that I am not proud of, Ashtallion." Sezja admitted. "There are paths I would have not walked given a second chance. Yet the past is done. I would not change who I am. But I would like to know if I can successfully escape my past and forge a new future." She paged back in the book and stopped on the techniques for scrying the future of someone's skien. "Will you help me see my future and if need be change it? If it works on me, then we can work on yours. If not, you'll learn what went wrong for a future try." She smiled crookedly. "Is that a fair bargain?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion placed the book down, and walked away from the desk.

He stood in the middle of his chamber, with his back to Sezja, arms crossed to hug his own shoulders. It was a rather....insecure....stance, for the adhiel mage. Without turning, "I would help, Sezja, though I have to admit to some tiredness. Physically and magically. Unless you were sheltered away from the festivities of the Coronation last eveningtide, you may have notice the somewhat large ball of fire in the sky last night? A little larger than the fireworks being set off in our new Ceasars' honour? An incident at the Red Rose Guild which prompted me to attempt a rather straining weaving of that fire.....

"And I still feeling the effects. I don't know if I would have the strength of will to accomplish this task, even if it would only as an aid to yourself.", despite his words, Ashtallion was still intrigued to see whether Sezja possessed any sorcerous talent herself, or if her prowess did indeed come from enchanted objects.

"I would like to attempt seeing the Skien of Life within another mortal, yet changing Fate, someones destiny....I would only try that if at my full strength. And even then with extreme trepidation. However......", pausing for a moment, he turned with slight flaring at the skirts of his soft black robe. "......I suppose there is no harm in reading instructions on how we would accomplish this?"
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Having turned his back, Ashtallion could not see Sezja sneer as he admitted his weakness to her. The greatest power in an age in front of his eyes and he is too tired? Fool. No trace of these thoughts remained when Ashtallion faced her again. In fact, he now saw her back as Sezja slowly turned the pages back to the section on seeing.

"Do not worry about your levels of energy, Ashtallion." Sezja replied. "Once in the throes of the spell casting the book shall provide all we need. All of the wards and safeguards belie the fact that the book wants these spells to be cast." Sezja averred. "These powers were never meant to be locked away and forgotten. Cowards and dullards saw to that." She spun around with wide eyes and a cat's grin. "We are neither. We can do this. If you can work the ritual to see my skein and share the vision, I will save my energies for the change itself."

To see the present Skein of a person required no weavings at all. It was nothing more than looking into the Aether that made up a person. The trick was interpreting what was seen there and having a mind keen enough to distinguish between fine gradations of energies. There were some spells mentioned to enhance the viewing of certain energies but largely they were probes for rather esoteric things like evidence of past diseases for example.

Probing the future of the skein was a more complicated weave. It involved the direct manipulation of threads of time but meshed to weave of light and air so that an illusion of the future skein would be seen without actually causing the subject to age. Actual manipulation involved manipulating those threads without the buffer of illusion. The descriptions of what to do were very clear and straightforward. The difficulty lay in the energies required to actually bring it all about. With the sources described in the book it should be possible.[/i]
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

His eyes stared at Sezja for a few long moments, yet his gaze did not seem to settle on her. The sorcerer looked past her, into something she could not see. Perhaps his own mind.

Focus came back into those bright orbs, "Very well, while I can still see potential for harm.....I think it is slight.", the gilded mage smiled lightly and retraced his steps until he was once more beside the woman. Lowering his attention once more to the words on the old book, the sorcerer read them with care. The first set of instructions sounded simply enough for him to follow, picking up the book, Ashtallion again moved to the centre of the room where there was more room, and gestured for Sezja to follow him.

"Stand in front of me, please. Bare with me while I attempt to find your...Skein of Life, Sezja."

Assuming she had indeed followed him, Ashtallion, still holding the book, closed his eyes, centered and grounded himself, perhaps a little more thoroughly than he needed to, just to ensure he was. Then, with eyes still closed, he reached out into the aether and searched his immediate area for Sezja's presence.

If finding her proved no problem, the mage would set out in trying to see her Skein. The book indicated this would be relatively simply, and the gilded magus had seen life energy before when healing. Focusing on her body, her presence, he sought deeper than the surface for the mirad of colours that would make up her life pattern.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: Sorry for the delay. Work was a bear last week.

Sezja stayed where she was while Ashtallion prepared himself. On the Aether she was still swathed in concealing clouds of energy. One hand dipped beneath her shirt and much of the clouds dropped away revealing a hissing spitting shield of dark black energy. That she was a magic user was no longer in doubt. Then, Sezja took a deep breath and lowered her shield.

Ashtallion was familiar with the radiant energies of the mortal form on the Aether so he was not blinded by the sudden brightness. Even so, Sezja glowed brighter than he would have expected. Ashtallion focused on the whiteness to resolve it into the myriads of colors but before that happened he began to see patterns in the whiteness itself. Subconsciously, he knew that white strand was fire and this other white strand was water but that was extraneous information. There was a pattern to the energies as a whole and that was all Ashtallion needed to know.

The information that he could glean trickled in slowly. She was female, about 30 yahren of age and in good health. Strong veins of energy spoke to her ability at magics and a pattern of tapped and untapped lines of power showed that she was an active lover but had never born children. A knot of energies in her right leg hinted at it being broken and repaired. A similar conflux of energies was centered over her hips and breasts as though they had not always been as shapely as they were now.

Here and there, Ashtallion saw grays and blacks among the white tapestry of her Skein. They were of her and yet they were not. These foreign energies were grafted into her Skein. At one point, they might have fed her with energies or power but now they lay dormant, mere reminders of something that once was and isn't now.

From here, the ritual was still straightforward. Focus on a portion of the Skein and create a replica of it usually air and light so that it became visible to all. Then slowly thread though the phantom Skein the strands of time and view the Skein as it was or how it will be.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

With a dead pan expression, devoid of apparent interest, he regarded the Skein. On the contary however, the golden sorcerer was exceptionally interested in what he managed to skin from reading this womans life pattern. To think it was relatively simple to guess what had happened previously in her life.....this opened up other possibilities for the sorcerer himself.

There was one thing he wanted to ask before presenting the illusion of the Skein to her.

"Tell me, Sezja. Where did you learn your magicks from? Who was your tutor? And with what I can presently see, I doubt you will be able to lie to me.", he smiled lightly, meeting her eyes. "Not that I believe you would.", he had a theory already, but wanted to give her the benefit of doubt. Something he had a weakness for doing he reflected.

Whilst asking her, Ashtallion started to weave the threads of air and light together, drawing them from his surroundings and knitting them into a replica of Sezja's Skein. Even as he worked, and although the process was straight forward enough, Asht had never touched on the Threads of Time about himself, and so rather than looking directly, he tried to feel the energy for the particular threads of energy relating to time. If easily found, he would start to weave them into the illusion, holding back ever so slightly from solidifying the Skein for Sezja to see until she answered him.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"I have had many tutors." Sezja hedged but it was clear that such prevaricatons would not serve her. It galled her to leave herself so vulnerable to this sorcerer but she still had the magical words for the book to use as leverage. She had come this far and she would continue on this path.

"I was trained in the Basilisk's Stare, Ashtallion." Sezja admitted. "They took me in as a young girl off the streets, promised me power in return for loyalty." She sighed. "I was in over my head before I knew it and looking for a way out ever since. I'm hoping this spell is it." She met his gaze unflinchingly but her voice had a slight quaver in it.

The threads of time were an odd and slippery energy. Time was everywhere after all. Not even the adhiel were immune to its touch. Yet it sped by faster that the swiftest wind. Ashtallion would find catching a hurricane easier work. Yet with concentration, Ashtallion reached for the thread of time would be and caught it. Threaded top to bottom and the illusionary Skein would wind forward. Threaded bottom to top would show the past. It took much of his concentration to even hold the thread of Time however. Once threaded into his illusion, Ashtallion was uncertain how much fine control he would have. He would have to choose a time and place within the Skein to focus on and hope for the best.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

It was coming to a delicate part of the manipulation.

Ashtallion simply gave a sharp nod to Sezja, giving no response. He accepted her words, without giving them too much thought. In the back of his mind, the Basilik's Stare rang, however he was too caught up in his weaving to give it his focus. Golden eyes closed shut, and his hands rose, fingertips touching his forehead lightly.

"Energy bends to the Will of the Master. I am the Master of my Will. The energy bends to me. I open my Will to the Bridge and over it flows the threads of power. The power is energy, and energy bends to the Will of the Master. I am the Master of my Will....."

His melodic adhiel voice chanted the words softly, using them as a focus for his control, his mastering of the energy. In his mind he saw Skein, the threading of energy patterns and how they connected. Grasping the slippery and swiftly moving thread of time, he wove it from top to bottom. Sezja wanted to remove herself from the grip of the Stare, doing so would lie in her furture. He turned his aetheric attention to the veins of energy that bespoke of her talent and skill as a magic-user.

Slowly, still murmuring in his native adhiel tongue, he lowered his arms to his side, and sought to fuse the magic, letting it pour out of him and into the illusion of Sezja's Skein to see the Path of where her sorcery would lead her.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The threads of time slipped easily into the illusion of the Skein and ran through it eagerly. The tight constraints of the weave and Ashtallion's will forced it to move to Ashtallion's beat and not the steady forward movement of one second per second. Slowly the illusion began to shimmer as the time did its work. At first there was no change for the immediate future was much like now. Then there was an unmistakable bright flare mere burns from now. The platinum energies were unmistakable. Left altered Sezja would experience the magic of Secrets of Creation though he could not tell to what purpose. Sezja's Skein seemed undamaged though platinum colored threads remained through her for a time afterward.

Then Ashtallion lost his grip on the threads of time and images of the Skein flashed by too quickly for the eyes to retain. Tightening his will Ashtallion bid the threads to halt. He looked now at a deeper future at least a yarhen maybe more. Black threads of energy were strong in her Skein and the use of her magick was active and strong as though in the midst of spell battle. He saw her Skein become tattered and torn as bones broke and blood spilled under the assault. Ashtallion saw the life force of her Skein dim and then wink out completely. There was nothing more to see.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Golden eyes watched unblinking as the Skein of Sezja's life flashed before him. Here was a skill the gilded magus would put to good use, being able to decipher a mortals history by reading their Skein. However it was the future he watched for, and this woman's future was apparently to be a short one.

He was careful to guard his expression, least she read too much from his face. Ashtallion was not one to shy away from difficult situations though, and he faced Sezja without hesitation.

"Your future doesn't appear to be the brightest, Sezja.", the sorcerer surmised this wasn't a woman that respected others pitying her, so he made sure there was none in his eyes. "In a yahren from now, roughly, your Skein ends dear lady.", he maintained his connection with the aether, still feeling for those unfamiliar energies of time. They were a path of magic he had never pursued before, however this working at pique his interest greatly.

"Perhaps this would be the destiny you wish to change?", he addressed her unflinching, holding no doubts as to what her answer would invaribly be.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

It was hard for Ashtallion to grip the strands of time even with his new found experience of them. The book was helping him grasp the energies of time that much was certain but Ashtallion felt he would be able to find them again when needed. They felt far to fluid to weave with on their own. Such musings were interrupted as Sezja spoke.

"Yes." Sezja said matching his candor. "Now that what I have feared will happen is confirmed, there is only one course open to me. Show me my Skein Ashtallion." She instructed. "Be my eyes and guide my hands and together we shall change destiny." Sezja sounded supremely confident that this would be so. She flipped forward in the book to main spell and looked to Ashtallion.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

His face was hard, yet no one would be able to miss the shadows of doubt that swirled behind the equally hard, mirror like surface of the magus' golden eyes. Asht stared at Sezja for several long heartbeats, trying to make up his mind. Who was he to help change the destiny of this woman? He did not know her, true, he was promised the secrets of the book and how to control the power within it, yet would she actually hold to her part of the bargain?

There was only one way to find out.

"Very well. I can't say I entirely like this....", he frowned, then took a small breath, "....but we did make a deal. So long as you remember your part of it."

Raising his right arm, his palm facing Sezja, the sorcerer concentrated once more, closing his eyes and seeing the world in his purest form, through the Aether. Asht focued on the Skein of Life that belonged to Sezja and willed the illusion to strengthen, siphoning his power into it so that the woman would be able to see it for herself. He assumed she would be reaching out with her own sorcery and braced himself for the alien touch of anothers will, not knowing how her power would feel to him.

Return to “University of Magicks Archive”