Pax- The Hunt - MT CH 27th

These estates surrounding the larger cities of the WK include Pax Balthasar, Brie and several other smaller grounds. The barons rule supreme and intent on holding on to their belongings.

Moderators: Vanadius, Morg, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Pax- The Hunt - MT CH 27th

Post by Ulder »

Ulder arose early, as was his custom and dressed warmly for the day. Tarion rose from the coverlets and sleeping furs as well. Both were eager to start the day. He gave his wife a gentle kiss and for a moment enjoyed the sleepy, blurry warmth of her loving embrace. Despite his wanting to get a start on hunting down the grey cloaks, there was a reluctant pull from him to stay and sleep with his beloved.

Feeling both reluctant and eager, he untied the tent's straps and stretched as he stepped out into the morning light. Tarion bounded off into the brush and trees and the former Captain just let him run, no doubt the young dog would return when food was being prepared.

As was also his custom, his next act was to check on the horses. He brushed all three and saddled them up for the day. Normally this was something that he left to Jarius, one of the Purple Guard grooms that had come with them to Pax, but today, on the first day of something that might escalate into open conflict, he wanted to do it himself. It just felt right that way.

After that it was making sure that meals were starting to be prepared, and things in the campsite were getting started the proper way. The first full day in a new place was always important, and he wanted to get his men started off right, especially considering the nightmare events of the day before. He sighed heavily just thinking about it. A new dawn was really quite helpful in dispelling yesterday's unpleasantness and improved his outlook immensely.

The one bright spot in the day had been the fireside chat they'd had last night. The beginnings of the Swordmark were still fresh in his mind, as were the brave oaths the others swore. Alone and apart, the chances of survival were much less than if they stood together. He was glad to have their honor to bolster his own. Before long, he would give every person here a chance to join their cause, or ally themselves to it if they wished.

He ate, checked the horses again, and waited for the others to arrive. They were going to be a small, mobile band, mounted and well armed. From Thrandil's conversation with Tamerton, along with his own with the Provost, he felt like they had good information to use in tracking down the grey cloaks and what to expect from them. He sharpened his sword a bit as he sat on a stump and waited.

Once his team had assembled and he was confident they were ready to go and had everything they needed, he mounted up and led them out of the town. Seven riders, set out to bring the grey cloaks to justice.
Last edited by Ulder on Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=404]Ulder's Compendium[/url]

[size=67]Avatar by permission of Amok. http://en.amokanet.ru/[/size]
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

As Ulder and his companions reached the forest gate, a tall achadheil who was holding the reins of a haughty, brown and white dappled horse strode over to meet the group. The achadheil was dressed in a dark, green cloak with a short bow strapped to his back.

"I am Lyanros." The achadheil spoke is a flowing, lyrical manner, his cloak billowing in the gentle morning breeze. "The Lieutenant thought that you might need the help of a guide. I have a fair knowledge of these mountains. And there may be one more who will join us."

In one fluid move, the achadheil mounted his horse, stroking its mane and whispering quiet reassuring words in its ear.
Thrandil
Hunter, Lieutenant Emerald Guard

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil rose as soon as the sun spilled it's first rays over the city of Pax Balthasar. He managed to dress as quickly as he could, checking his bow and his quiver to make sure he would be ready for this day. Of course, since he had dismissed his gear of the Emerald Guard and handed them over to Draydis in a most impersonal way, he would go shopping before he was going to join Ulder.

With haste he made his way to the arms dealer he had seen in the city yesterday and, after looking around and asking about various weapons he added a glaive and long sword with scabbard to his personal armory. Quite to the surprise of the owner, the adhiel also bought a shortbow with blunt arrows, for Penth. When they would start training, Penth would need a weapon. After he had wrapped the bow with quiver and arrows in cloth, he went back to the encampment and sought out Ulder, who, as it seemed, had the company of an achadhiel.

"Good morning, master Synkaaros. Greetings, friend. How fares all?" Thrandil asked. "I'm not sure whether you would want to have me around during your hunt Ulder, but just in case I bought a few weapons. And a present for Penth too." he said as he tapped the cloth package with a hand. "Is he around here somewhere by any chance?"
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder was a little surprised to find that Lieutenant Tamerton had spared a man to join them as a guide. In his talks with the Provost, it seemed the local militia was unable to send more, but this was an unexpected welcome.

He took in the measure of the achadhiel and his mount. His own horse, Boot, sniffed and snorted at the other animal but Ulder quickly quieted him down.

"Good to meet you Lyanros. I am Ulder. It's very much appreciated that the Lieutenant would send along a guide for us. I originally hail from King's Court, but my father often did trading in Brie, so I'm not completely unfamiliar with the terrain, but having someone who knows the valleys and all the little nooks and crannies well is most welcome."

One more as well? Well then. It seems both the Provost and the good lieutenant are not without their spies...

Ulder chuckled inwardly.

We've shown them nothing but a colossal blunder so far. Perhaps now out in the teeth of this land we can show them a little more...

Ulder waved at Thrandil as he approached.

"I thought you were going to stay behind, but I'm glad you changed your mind. I saw Penth earlier back at the camp, but did not speak with him."

"Sir Lyanros, if you will give us but a burn or two, I need to make arrangements for Thrandil to have a mount. It was my understanding that Thrandil was staying in the town today, but I would like to have another with us if that is all right with you."

"Stay here for a few moments.

Ulder spurred Boot to quickly trot back to the camp where he retrieved his other two horses. If there was another coming, he wanted the whole troupe mounted to maximize their speed and give them as much of a tactical advantage as possible.

"Here we go." The former Captain said as he handed reins to Thrandil. "This is Elspeth, but Elaine and I call her Velvet for her coat. She's gentle and good natured, and won't let you fall."

Ulder turned to the guide once more as he watched Thrandil with the reins.

"Thank you sir for your patience. I believe we are ready once your man arrives."

As they waited, Ulder assisted Thrandil in mounting the horse, and adjusted the stirrups for him.

Trajan Constantine Aeneas
Civus

Post by Trajan Constantine Aeneas »

Trajan had risen at four marks of Gravetide arm himself and gather up his gear. The approaching Morningtide was when he and the other Hunters were to depart Pax Balthasar in pursuit of the Grey Robes who had so recently caused so much disruption and chaos within the city limits. There was really no reason to be about this early, but he had ulterior motivations. He wanted at least a few hours to walk the city streets. Trajan didn't doubt that the hunt for the Grey Robes would be intense and probably require long hours and short nights, but he had to try and find Laewin and her 'pet'. He had that obligation yet to fulfill. The dead legionnaire's sword, the one he had been given after the supernatural battle two nights previous, he wore across his chest in it's new sheathe on it's new baldric. His heater, original sword re-sheathed beneath the grip, rode his left arm, and his spear he carried. The longsword on his back he wore high to avoid having the guard catch on the straps of his pack, in which he carried most of what he owned. Actually, it carried all of what he owned, which did not include a tent or a bed roll. He didn't feel the lack too keenly however, because he had never minded sleeping on the bare ground covered only by his cloak. Once his few meager supplies were gathered, Trajan left the barracks and simply... walked, hoping against the odds to run into Laewin or at least her 'pet', who ever or what ever it was.

Later, as dawn broke, the first kisses of dawn found Trajan Aeneas sitting by the guard post at the forest gate, awaiting the arrival of his fellow huntsmen. He heard a group of horsemen approach the gate and then stop, and snatches of a conversation. He was as surprised as any of the party to hear Lyranos introduce himself and state his purpose as guide, and his origin as Lieutenant Tameron. The Lieutenant hadn't mentioned to Trajan that anyone other than himself would be accompanying the expedition, but he supposed that Tameron wasn't accountable to him, only Commander Carbonneau. The conversation carried on for maybe two burns, and then Trajan could hear the sound of a single rider moving away. He was curious as to the reason for that, but figured all would be revealed in time. And he was patient enough to wait a few burns more to see if clarification was forthcoming. Shortly the Legionnaire was rewarded with the sound of not one but three horses approaching, and then some more conversation. It was at this point that he decided it was time to make his introduction.

Using his spear as a balance, Trajan levered himself to his feet and nodding to the fellows assigned to guard the Forest Gate, strode around the post and into full view of the mounted party. There were nine, Trajan noted detachedly. All armed with at least one weapon, and all looking comfortable in their saddles. Having never met any of the number before he bowed expansively, spreading his hands, and consequently his spear wide as he bent low, though he never broke visual contact with those before him. As he rose he let his eyes wander over his soon to be companions taking in as much information as he could even while he spoke.

“Good morningtide.” He greeted the group broadly, eyes still searching. “I am Trajan Aeneas, you may call me Trajan. I am to accompany this party and provide what assistance I may in the capture of these outlaw Grey Cloaks. Which of you is Ulder?” There was, he noted, a riderless horse, which meant he had been at least anticipated. But as he waited for Ulder to speak, he wondered if anyone had anticipated that he did not in fact know how to ride.
Last edited by Trajan Constantine Aeneas on Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guido Cercatoro

"We will wait until your group is fully assembled," agreed Lyanros, although he appeared a little impatient to start the expedition. "Tell me when you are ready and I will lead you into the mountains. Dawgrim's mine is, I believe, to be our first destination."

When Trajan approached, the guide gave a low whistle and a small, jet black horse trotted into view. The achadheil smiled at Trajan. "I had been informed that you were not an experienced rider and so I had arranged an appropriate mount for you. She is an excellent mare for new riders. However, if you prefer the other mount, that is your decision."

The black horse moved close to Trajan as if sniffing him out.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder allowed the new horse to adjust to the newly introduced Trajan. Horses were tricky and fickle at times, and the former Captain didn't want to step in the way of a horse getting acquainted with his rider. He gave them a few moments to get comfortable with one another before stepping in to reply to the guardsman.

"Good morningtide to you as well guardsman Trajan. Well met, I am Ulder. When you get yourself situated, good master Lyanros will be leading us out to Dawgrim's mine."

It was polite and courteous, but not exactly forthcoming with information. Just as the horses were feeling each other out, Ulder was cautious and on guard with his words as of yet. He posture was more relaxed and at ease, he certainly didn't expect attack here by these men, but so far, until he knew more of them and their motives, he would keep things on neutral topics as much as possible. He didn't see much sense in creating animosity. The Provost and Tamerton had been very kind and generous thus far, and there was no need to create undue tension or strife.

The former Captain was more than a little comfortable around horses, and he stood by at the ready in case Trajan or anyone else needed assistance before mounting up and nodding their readiness to head out.

Civus

Trajan hadn't met Lyanros before, but he was intensely grateful to him in that moment when the horse trotted into view. Someone it seemed, was aware of the situation and had made allowances. The animal was approaching him cautiously, sniffing with each tentative step, as if it expected him to do it some harm. Much sooner the other way around. Trajan shifted his spear to the hand on his shield arm and extended his right hand to the animal, forcing himself not to jerk back when the animal nuzzled his hand with its nose.

“I had been informed that you were not an experience rider, and so I had arranged an appropriate mount for you.” Trajan looked around the horses head to identify the speaker, and saw the achadheil guide. “She is an excellent mare for new riders. However, if you prefer the other mount, that is your decision.” It was at that junction that another man moved his horse closer and spoke.

“Good morningtide to you as well guardsman Trajan. Well met, I am Ulder. When you get yourself situated, good Master Lyanros will be leading us out to Dawgrims mine.” Trajan then looked to the new comer and took stock of him. He was obviously a man of the outdoors, with tanned and weather skin. His features were stark, and their severity was not softened in the slightest by the dark eyes with which Ulder watched him. He sat on his horse as if he knew better than passingly how to handle the beast, and his armor, to make no mention of the oddly curved sword which hung from his belt, marked him out as a man of military training, and his carriage further marked him as a man of command. Excepting their totally distinct colorations, Ulder reminded the legionnaire markedly of Lieutenant Tameron. Trajan nodded to Ulder in acknowledgment, and then looked from him to Lyranos and back.

“Good morningtide to all, of course.” Trajan said. “But pleasantries aside it would seem that I am the one holding this expedition up, and I hate to be responsible for that. If someone could be so kind as to show me how to manage the trick of getting onto this creature, and then be so kind as to tie me there, I think we can get under way.” With an absolutely humorless expression Trajan continued to look at first the achadhiel guide and then back to the human he expected at least passingly of being the leader of the body of this group.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil nodded to Ulder, as the former captain excused himself to provide him with a mount.

As Ulder left, Thrandil turned to Lyanros. "You must be the guide Lieutenant Tamerton sends along. My name is Thrandil, and you are? Did you bring the supplies he promised?" he asked the guide and waited for Ulder's return.

Thrandil took the reins without much of a hassle, so as not to show any sign of fear, even though he never been seen close to a horse before. Not that he was afraid, just not used to it. "Thanks Ulder. I should've let you know, but we still had to talk anyway. Velvet will do. Nice name." he said, walking slowly up to the horse from the front. He stretched his arm while approaching it, trying to stroke it's head as it came into reach.

After letting the horse get used to him by letting it sniff and stroking it's flanks, Thran took a look at the saddle and the stirrups. Alright, fairly easy... Put your foot there, make sure you hang onto the saddle, swing one leg over and stay in the saddle. he thougt to himself.

He put his left foot in the according stirrup and, with full force, pulled himself up, throwing his torso over the saddle so he wouldn't slip back down. Now came the hard part, swinging the other leg over the horses back. He made a quick prayer to the Mother, asking her that if it was true what she had promised in Dort, please let him see the true Elspeth now... and hopefully she was kind and easy going. "Well Velvet, just keep standing still and we'll be able to do this together, dear. Right?" he whispered to the horse.

Taking a deep breath, he swung his leg over the back of the horse, and, not having thought about adjusting his balancing point, toppled over as his left leg was about the only part to stay on the left side... or on top for that matter. As the guardsman got up, he brushed the dirt off his armour and reluctantly admitted, ashamed now, "Err... Ulder? I am afraid I might need some help in how to overcome the burden of getting, and staying, in this saddle. To be honest, I've never been this close to a horse before."

As Ulder helped him into his saddle, he whispered to him "We need to speak, soon. In the back of the group. The guide starts at point, no matter what.", and thanked him generously as he had the point where he sat in the saddle, holding the reigns and his sword and bow in arms reach.

As Lyanros mentioned their first destination, Thrandil nodded. "Yes, Dawgrim's mine it is."

As Ulder and Trajan had finished their introductions, the adhiel spoke to the legionnaire. "Well met, Trajan of Pax Balthasar. I am Thrandil. Glad to have you on board. Ready to set sail?" he asked, slipping that comment out by accident, something still with him from the days he had been with Captain Ryelocke on the Attica.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

A cry carried to them on the wind before Trajan had mounted, a mere few flickers later the source revealing itself as Craghley. The Islayer arrived at a slow jog from the direction of the campsite with his pelt cloak billowing out behind him. Once Craghley had reached the group he paused, bowed to everyone in general but gave a specific nod to Thrandil. It was to him and Ulder that he moved, taking something from his sporran as he did so.

"Morningtide, m'lairds Ulderon an' Thrandil. Morningtide tae all of ye guid folk as weel."

Craghley moved between the flanks of the horses (careful not to get behind any) towards Ulder. He proffered the items to the man; two makeshift paper satchels with twisted closed tops, one relatively smaller than the other.

"I cannae offer ye o'er much 'gainst the cauld, well asides from me whiskey, but I can gi' ye this. Powdered bistort root in the smaller bag, ver' strong an' used to stop bleeding - just apply it to the wound, or ye can imbibe it in a solution with water if the damage goes internal. An' a couple of agrimonia compressed in the other fer less, well, dire emergencies. Dinnae ken wha' ye'll run intae oot there. Wish I could come wi' ye, but Penth said 'twas important he teaches me to sing today. Speakin' of which, I should head back."

Craghley hoped Ulder knew waht he was talking about - of course he did, he was a bright man and had been one to recommend they talk to the girl - it was just that he didn't want the Pax authorities to know their activities. They might look disfavourably upon messing with the supernatural.
Last edited by Craghley on Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thran, sticking to the horse like glue, smiled and nodded at Craghley. "Hey Craghley, look at me! I'm gonna ride a horse!" he told the clansman, and blushed in his face as the awkwardness of his words hit him. Oh well, he was just happy and eager to learn new things.

He tried to regain his posture quickly and cleared his throat. "Well, Lieutenant Craghley, if you have a moment I would like to ask a small favor of you, since I'll be gone for a while most likely." and scanned the area in the meanwhile to see if anyone would be laughing at his prior comment.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

He'd spent nearly his entire life around horses and there were some who could make the argument that he was more comfortable around the noble creatures than he was around people, so he found a tremendous amount of satisfaction and enjoyment in helping others understand how to interact with them better.

As Thrandil fell, he winced and went over to help his friend up.

"That was good first try. Lets do better this time eh?"

Ulder demonstrated as he spoke, mounting Elspeth slowly so that Thrandil and the others could see clearly and follow suit.

"Grab the saddle horn here first, then put your foot in the stirrup like this, now to avoid leaning over too far, simply stand in the stirrup first, like this. Then you can put your other leg over slowly, and sit when you do. With your rear end in the saddle, you can then work to get your foot in the other stirrup, and you don't have to worry about balance and falling."

He slid out of the saddle and let the others try.

"The important thing to remember is to let your body weight hold you in the stirrups and the saddle. When you sit, rest easy, let your self sink into it. Stand in the stirrups when you feel like you may fall. It will help you regain your balance. Use the saddle horn too. Its a handle, don't be afraid of using it to steady yourself until you get more comfortable."

Ulder went over and mounted Boot, sliding easily into the saddle again, demonstrating for their benefit again.

"Now, you have some ways to talk to the horse and communicate what you want the horse to do. Elspeth has been trained that gentle pressure with your heels will get her started. You don't have to kick hard, think of it as tapping to get their attention, like this."

As Boot moved forward in a walk, he continued to speak.

"Kicking hard will only get you kicked off, so just a gentle tap or two will work just fine. Now, unfortunately, it will rarely be a straight line in between you and your destination, so sooner or later you'll have to turn. The reins are your way to do that. Pull the left side to go left, right to go right. The harder the pull the sharper the turn."

Ulder demonstrated by pulling hard to the right, causing Boot to turn almost in place in a circle.

"That will get you started and get you moving. And don't worry, it gets easier as you train yourself to do it. But the last thing I'll show you is slowing or stopping. Pull down towards the saddle horn, and straight back into your body. The harder you pull, the faster the stop. You'll want to lean back a little as you do, too hard of a stop will pitch you over the horses head if you're moving fast enough, so getting in the habit of leaning back a little will help as you get to know the animal."

Once again, he demonstrated the technique so they could all see it in action. As he assisted Thrandil, he gave the former Emerald Guardsman a knowing look. The possibility of an ambush had occurred to him already, but the other man's caution only solidified his instinct.

He was watching over Trajan as Craghley came forward.

"Thank you sir. I'm hoping to not have to use them and that I'll get to return them to you intact as they are now."

He stuffed them into one of his saddlebags and once everyone was mounted and seemed ready to proceed, he made his way over to Lyanros.

"Seems we're ready sir. Thank you for your patience."

Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Talanwei Fortisse »

Horses.

The thought of them inspired a few different feelings in the young Achadhiel. Like most animals they reacted to and sensed the moods of those that handled them. Though Talanwei did not know anything of animal handling, his general practice was to treat both animal and man as he would wish to be treated. He also felt that respect given, if not immediately, would result in respect received.

The achadhiel followed Ulder in his hunt of the greycloaks. His decision was simple, wherever the captain went he would follow. Though there was dissent and a splintering of some group members, the young swordsman knew his destination. However, Talanwei had fallen behind and needed to catch up to the others. Trajan and Thrandil already had a horse, Ulder was nearly ready to depart and the Achadhiel had only to look to himself for blame. Talanwei cursed his occupied thoughts.

Most of his attention that had not been absorbed in thought was split watching how Ulder handled his mount and eventually getting the chance to talk with him about his desire to swear to the Swordmark. The latter would likely have to wait until a more opportune time. Talanwei swallowed and cleared his throat before speaking up.

“Ah…sir, can I also get a mount? I apologize, I am also an inexperienced rider,” said Talanwei with an expression that clearly conveyed how miserable he was with inconveniencing the guide. If things proceeded smoothly he would mount the horse he was given using the advice Ulder had provided. Talanwei took special note of how to mount and communication with the horse. The last thing the Aspirant wanted was to fall flat on his back.
[b]Convo Kill Count[/b]: 1
[b]Funny Chat Moments[/b]: 3
Guido Cercatoro

The little black mare nuzzled into Trajan’s hand, making a low whinny as she did so. Lyanros dismounted and assisted the legionnaire up onto the horse. “Sit still and get to know her.” The achadheil bent down to one of the mare’s ears and whispered a few low words before remounting his own horse.

In response to Thrandil’s request concerning the supplies, the guide pointed to a small cart which contained a number of sacks and water flasks. “Help yourself to whatever you need,” he announced to all those present. “If we need to travel deep into the mountains, food and water is scarce and we cannot be sure of stocking up on supplies at the mine.” He frowned as he mentioned the mine, as if the thought of going there was not one he relished.

Thrandil’s first attempt at mounting his horse resulted in the adheil being unceremoniously dumped on the ground. A loud, melodic peal of laughter rang out from the tall achadheil guide. “Well this is going to be an amusing journey. I can see that I must offer riding lessons in addition to guiding you through the mountains. I hope you have some salves or oils for your rear ends, for novice riders often get saddle sore.”

Ulder was at hand to provide the adheil with a demonstration of the basics of mounting a horse and, at his second attempt, Thrandil succeeded in mounting the horse. Trajan was also able to hear and benefit from Ulder’s words as was the final arrival, Talanwei. Fortunately, there was a spare horse available as the guide had provided a horse for Trajan. With a sigh, the guide dismounted and helped Talanwei into the saddle.

“Now if anyone falls off,” said the guide ruefully, as he once again mounted his own horse. “I would recommend choosing grass rather than rock for your landing place.”

Craghley arrived, giving Ulder the two makeshift paper satchels.

As soon as all were mounted and the supplies gathered and lashed on the horses, the guide would lead the group through the gate.

Outside the gate a wide track led down the hill to the valley bottom where the River Clearwater made its way from the mountains on its long journey to the sea.

“We will take the track down to the river and then follow its course up to the miner’s post,” explained Lyanros.

It would only take the group half a mark to reach the river crossing point – a small ford where the river became relatively shallow but was strewn with a variety of small, jagged rocks.

“Take care crossing, for it is rocky here.” The guide took the lead carefully picking his way across the river. On the far side of the river was a large barn and behind it a number of cultivated fields. Standing by the barn was a stocky human farmer, hands on hips, regarding the new arrivals with a disparaging stare. Once across the ford, the track turned to run to the north east alongside the river and up into the mountains.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Craghley's eyebrows raised when he heard Lyanros mention the mines. He spoke hushedly to Ulder and Thrandil.

"Och, the mines? Listen, sirs - remember wha I told ye last nicht. Be careful, and see if ye can find yerselves ane dwarf by the name of Garnard Haalguard. If ye run intae trouble doon there, or just need information, tell 'im who ye are and that I referred ye. He's a bit rough 'boot the edges, but a good soul nonetheless."

With that he bid his farewell, mentioning that he had to meet Penth immediately for their 'music lesson'.

[hr][/hr]
OOC: I'm planning to relate to the Swordmark what Craghley has learned speaking to Haalguard at the Nether's Gate tavern. See Fireside Chat for said posts.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil watched Ulder's lesson and tried to keep everything in mind. It seemed easy enough, after he got himself all he thought he needed for the trip. Some refreshing water and some food. Not too much, as he was sure there'd be something to hunt, and after all, he was a hunter, wasn't he?

If looks could kill, the guide would probably be dead by now, as the adhiel's eyes bore into him after the comment he made. "Maybe so, sir, but would you rather take these men on with only two of you instead? Sure, go ahead, but I think master Synkaaros welcomes all the help he can get at the moment. I stand and fight by his side." he said calmly.

A few moments later, after receiving the words from Craghley, Thran beckoned the Lieutenant even closer. "Haalguard eh? I'll keep that in mind. By the way, Craghley, please, if you could relay a message to master Penth for me. You do know where I slept last night, right? If you have spare time while we are gone, tell him to open the cloth package I left. It's a gift from me to him. Tell him to wax it in. Everything he needs is provided for. Good luck with your own quest, my friend." he said and, as a respect for the Guardsman, he gave him a salute.

"Stranger," the former General said to Talanwei, "my name is Thrandil Mael-Muire, my titles are only two fold these days, but a friend of Ulder is a friend of mine. Call me Thran if you so please. I'm a former General and Diplomat for the Emerald Guard, but gave that up for a greater cause."

He gave Talanwei a turn to reply, before continuing. "If you wouldn't mind, sir, I must speak to Ulder first. I almost don't dare to ask, but do you mind to stay in our front for a few burns?"

As Lyanros led the way, Thran tried to follow the best he could, trying to lead Elspeth to trot aside Ulder's.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder rode close to Talanwei and gave him a warm clap on the shoulder as he trotted past.

"Good to have you with us." He said with a grin.

As they rode outside the gates, Ulder could feel the eager young horse beneath him sense the open country and the freedom of it's expanses. To keep the horse occupied, he rode up and down the length of their short column a few times to burn off some of Boot's excitement, and give himself a chance to chime in with a few pointers here and there to the newer riders as they picked their way across a narrow, rocky ford.

"Good day to you sir." He told the farmer with a nod as they went past.

As Thrandil tried to catch up, Ulder reigned in and brought his mount over close, so they could speak privately. He gave Talanwei a reassuring nod and a knowing glance. As they spoke, he kept his eyes ahead and on the surrounding terrain. He wanted to commit as much to memory as possible, as well as keep an eye out for any signs of ambush or attack.

"Now sir, what is it?"

OOC: Side thread?

Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Talanwei gratefully accepted help into the saddle. He thanked Illuminatus with his thoughts for his relative good fortune and the guide verbally for his help, however exasperated he was about the fact he had to provide it. Luckily, mounting went smoothly. Once seated solidly, it took a few flickers for him to mentally center himself and peel away his layers of apprehension before he could sit even close to comfortably. The Achadhiel tried to recall Ulder’s words about the way to seat oneself on a horse. Talanwei tried to sink into the seat and move with the roll of the horse’s movement. Whether this met with success or not, the aspiring paladin was elated and looked at the surroundings from his elevated position. His beaming, unabashed grin clearly showed his age and inexperience. Had Talanwei been thinking of appearances, for it was evident he was blissfully oblivious, he would have considered perhaps scowling or adopting a stony expression. Talanwei leaned closer to the horse’s neck and stroked it very softly.

"I thank you for allowing me to ride. You are kind and my gratitude is yours," spoke Talanwei softly to the horse in Adhiel. The novice rider then gave as much attention as could be spared to the surroundings. Each tree, rock, tuft of grass seemed to have its own interesting qualities for him to observe. So when Thrandil addressed him, Talanwei did not take notice immediately. It was not because he was ignoring him, not in the slightest but when his dark green eyes turned to the former general there was not an expression of comprehension for the edge of a flicker. The Achadhiel’s eyes widened and he almost immediately began to flush with embarrassment.

"Oh! I…my name! Talanwei Fortisse, aspiring paladin of Illuminatus," Talanwei paused for a moment, trying to gather his thoughts and realized that Thrandil had asked him politely to busy himself so Ulder and he could talk.

"Ab-absolutely…right away," he said and when Ulder led his horse past, the clap on his shoulder took him by surprise. Nodding, and reddened in his cheeks by this point, the would-be paladin pulled the reins perhaps a bit too sharply likely irritating the horse beneath him.

"Yes cap-…Ulder! Good to be here!" said Talanwei. Both elated and flustered, he led his horse out of earshot so the two men could speak. About a burn or so passed with Talanwei riding and thinking about what lay ahead. He adjusted his Warden blade on his hip and the normal blade he had slung over his right shoulder so that if they were suddenly set upon he would be ready. The balance and lightness of the sword appealed to him in ways he had not fully realized. The achadhiel also adjusted his cloth armor for he was still not used to the feeling of it. Once he felt more comfortable, he turned his gaze to Trajan and their guide Lyanros. He felt the need to branch out to speak to them but for the moment remained silent. If anything, he did not want to look more of a fool than he had already.

Instead, Talanwei went to the pool of shining light he housed in his thoughts. With gentle hands he sought a few threads of aetheric energy from Illuminatus to send his senses outward. He would use it to see any disturbances or irregularities in the air. The aspirant would also attempt to pool energy for use in case of unexpected circumstance.
Last edited by Talanwei Fortisse on Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Civus

For all that the achadheil's summoned mare was being friendly, Trajan found himself dreading the thought of getting onto the animal, having already witnessed the unceremonious unseating of one of the party. Lyranos was apparently an impatient sort, for in short order he dismounted and helped Trajan onto the animal.

“Sit still and get to know her.” He said shortly, before bending to whisper to the animal and thereafter returning to his own horse. Trajan had to admit that he didn't understand a lick of what was going on, at least none of what was going on with the horses. Once everyone was mounted, and the supplies from the cart had been doled out in equal measure to the horses of all the riders Lyranos indicated that the party, which now numbered twelve, should follow him out the west gate and down the broad track which lead from the hilltop where Pax Balthasar stood down to the valley floor. The party passed the Wardens post during their decent, and Trajan pointedly avoided looking at it.

The ride to the ford of the Clearwater was short, taking less than half of a mark. The crossing however was rocky, Lyranos advised, and so it took the group longer than it probably should have to cross, what with three novice riders amongst their number. The other side of the ford was dominated by a barn and beyond that, the cultivated fields which helped to feed the city. The freeman who worked the land stood watching the progress of the party with barely concealed contempt and hostility. Trajan wondered momentarily if that was directed at the body entire, or him specifically, what with his obviously being one of the much maligned Pax Honestus Legion.

Ulder addressed a greeting to the man when he passed, but by that time Trajan himself was further up the track which turned on this side toward the mountains and didn't see if that did any good with the sour faced farmer or not. For his part, Trajan had never been to Dawgrims mine, but he had met enough of the dwarves who worked there to suspect it was probably not an altogether wholesome place, but it was as good a place as any to begin a search for these renegade Grey robes who had too long been fugitive from the justice the One, and he would see them brought to it one way or the other. So resolved, Trajan rode on behind Tamerton's appointed guide, neither curious as too, or caring about the motivations of the others along for this hunt, he had his task, appointed by Yin Lorin, and blessed by the One. He would not fail.
Guido Cercatoro

Craghley informed Ulder and Thrandil about the dwarven miner Haalguard and then the clansman left the group.

The entire party, including the novice riders, picked their way across the rocky stream with little difficulty and only a few minor stumbles. In truth, this was more to do with the skill of the horses than the riders themselves but at least the first obstacle had been overcome. Trajan found his horse completely foot-sure, as if the mare knew the crossing intimately. A few farmsteads and barns were scattered throughout the nearby fields, jammed into the narrow valley over which the mountains towered. A track ran alongside the river, climbing increasingly steeply as the waters entered the foothills to the north.

Neither Ulder’s scanning of the surrounding terrain nor Talanwei’s venture into the Aether revealed any obvious sign of danger. There was only a sense of calm and the coolness in the mountain air.

Ulder greeted the farmer as the group rode past. At first, the sour-faced farmer merely grunted but then he gruffly shouted a few words to the mounted men. “Miners say there’s been one or two rock slides lately up in the gorge. Nothing serious but you’d better take it carefully.”

Lyanros rode back from the front of the group and pulled up alongside Ulder. “The gorge is a couple of marks ride from here. It is a steep climb at the best of times. It is best if we dismount and lead our horses when we get there, for we do not want to set off any slide.”

The track, which was still reasonably wide, followed the river for a good while and the party made decent progress for a mark. A couple of farm labourer’s were the only sign of life and soon the farms of the lower valley had receded out of sight. The climb became increasingly steep and the track slightly narrower. A few delicate white and yellow flowers clung to the rocky outcrops which were becoming increasingly more evident. On top of one outcrop was a wooden cross that appeared to mark a grave. Several garlands of white and yellow flowers hung off the cross. It would be a relatively easy climb to the grave.

“They say the spirit of the mountains will safeguard those who decorate the grave during their first journey into the mountains,” remarked Lyanros. “Do any of you wish to honour the spirit? You must all make your own choice.”
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil shivered at the mention of rockslides. Sure, great... rock slides. Why did I leave the forests? At least I knew them. Mother, if there's trouble to come from above, please warn me beforehand. I'm already vulnerable by sitting on this horse, but on foot, I wouldn't be able to cover these distances. How sweet the irony...

"Lyanros, I thank your for your word of warning. With the horseriding experience, or rather inexperience, that most of our group seems to suffer, I back you on that decision." he told the guide at the mention of the dangers riding their horses over the gorge.

The adhiel greeted every labourer that they passed by word and a wave, still holding the reigns with one hand and a thumb. He was scared that if he let go of them, the horse would be able to go rampant, and that was for sure among the things he didn't want to happen.

Later on, as Lyanros made the mention of the grave and asked them if they wanted to decorate it and the reason to it. There roamed a spirit in these mountains, restless. Had anyone ever tried to help it?

The soldier cut a short piece of silk rope from his gear and climbed up to the grave. Once he got there, he tried to intertwine the piece of rope with as many garlands as he possibly could. On his knees, eyes closed, he spoke to the Mother. "Mother, whatever being belonged to this grave, whether he, she or it was a non-believer, had it's Faith with the Pantheon, or even with Dominicus, please do accept the soul into your caring arms. Take it in as if it was one of your own. The rope signifies the unity all those who visited the grave, and it's loose ends signify the freedom of the spirit, so it may go wherever it wants. If it needs help, please let my eyes see it when it's near and let my ears hear it's words. I will try to help it the best I can, so finally it can rest and no one needs to be afraid in the mountains anymore. Blessed are we, Mother, your children. Bless this spirit as one of us."

When he finished, he got back up and returned to the rest of the group.
Civus

Riding Trajan decided, was an unnatural enterprise. Dominsicus had of course created horses just as he had created all things the sand and the sea - the orb of burning fire rising from sapphire waters into a cerulean sky - and he painted the clouds with his own hands as per the book Ortus. And Trajan of course gave all honor to the One for his work in crafting a them, but surely if man had been meant to go upon such beasts it would not be such an effort to achieve. Already his back protested mightily, never to mention his back side which felt well and truly abused and in general the Legionairre was lamenting his situation. He wondered how the other two acknowledge novices were managing their own trials, but made no effort to speak to either the slight adhiel called Thrandil or the achadhiel Talanwei who topped Trajan by a scant measure or two. He had so far spoken to no one, save his introduction to Ulder and his request for assistance with the horse. Point of fact he could remember no one else speaking to him either, and so supposed that each of the hunters chose to keep their own counsel.

For his part, Trajan prayed silently for guidance in the matter of Laewin and her pet and as well as with his present undertaking, not so much for the finding or the capture of the renegades, but more for what would come after. Per Yin's instructions, he would have to find someway to seperate the prisoners from their captors and get them to Kings Court, no small task to be certain and one he was not eagerly anticipating. Yet it had to be done. Yin was the Arch-Paladin of the Temple Order of the One, and he had given Trajan a mandate and a blessing. The Grey Robes had to be brought to the Justice of the One and Trajan had been designated the tool of their delivery.

The track had begun to narrow and had grown steeper, impeding slightly the parties progress up the slope. Shortly after the group had left all signs of habitation behind they came upon an outcropping upon which was perched a wooden cross decorated with garlands of the white and yellow flowers which clung tenaciously to the rock which had come to dominate the landscape. Lyranos informed the group that it was a sort of shrine to the 'spirit of the mountain' which it was said would extend it's protection to those who made their first forays into the mountain if they added to it's decoration. Trajan was familiar of course with the concept of tithing, which is what this amounted to since the spirit of the mountain was obviously just another manifestation of Dominscus divine will. Trajan watched as the Thrandil moved up toward the small shrine to make his offering, physical and spiritual and dismounted gracelessly after realizing the adheil's intent. He didn't expect that Thrandil would be praying to the One, but then, all prayers no matter which pagan name was attached ended up in Dominiscus' ears. It was just a matter of what the pagans understandings. But that was the One's way as well, each being was appointed to his own station according to his capacities. When Trajan saw the Adheil return to his horse he took his own turn at the shrine, unsheathing the ghost sword he had been gifted to trim a flower from its sarcophageus crevase he knelt at the shrine, laying the flower across the garlands before placing the sword point down before it he leant his forehead against the cross piece and prayed silently.

Dominiscus guide my mind and hand in this endeavor. Let your Will show through me as I work to bring these besmirchers of your name to your purifying justice. I thank you for your blessings which I feel upon me each day and pray that they be extended to those which accompany me in this task appointed by your servent Yin Lorin. Bless his work as well and give him strength to be resolute in the face of the rising darkness which is the pagan faiths of this world, provide to me your blessing as I go forth and guide me to your greater glory. These things in your name Dominiscus I pray. He closed the prayer with ritual phrasing and then rose, resheathing the blade in its new home, still unfamiliar on his back and then returned to his horse. He even managed to remount without assistance. Dominscus' small miracles were everywhere, for which he was infinately grateful. Trajan waited for the journey to resume, feeling at peace with the will which had shaped the cosmos.
Last edited by Trajan Constantine Aeneas on Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder sat unmoving in the saddle. He wanted each of his men to make their own choices first, and give everyone an equal chance to make whatever offering they chose to make without undue pressure from him. If he went right away, others might feel compelled, even if they didn't mean to make an offering, to give because it was expected.

Thrandil's gift was interesting. Ulder took the symbolism of the rope to mean that the Adhiel were bound to the land and to the spirit that guarded it. A bond that he was quite respectful of. It was Ulder's nature to protect the people more than the land itself, but giving oneself to the land had great honor in it, and he admired the gesture, or at least the way he perceived it.

Trajan's gesture was interesting in a different way for the former Captain. He saw the flower as a wish for peace. Accurate or not in that assessment, he examined the legionnaire a little more closely. Was this a man troubled by the trying times? Or perhaps a weary spirit in a war torn world? Either way, he decided then and there he needed to watch the soldier a little more carefully.

When all had a turn, Ulder dropped casually off the horse and grabbed his water skin from his saddlebag. He made the short climb up to the shrine and uncorked the bottle and took a long drink. He stood there for a while, unmoving, staring at the grave and listening to the sound of the wind and the stamp of hoofs below. He glanced around, looking at the rocks, the sky, and the trees all around them. Finally, he began to empty the water onto the ground around the shrine.

Water is life. Grow. Thrive. Live. He thought, confident that if there were a spirit here, his offering would be understood.

When the skin was empty and the water had sunk into the earth and grass and flowers around the grave, he climbed back down and put the empty skin back in his pack. He clasped his horse's reins, and nodded his readiness that they were ready to proceed up to the gorge on foot.

As if the whole encounter at the grave site never happened, he spoke to his men and the less experienced riders.

"Don't try to mount up and run if there is a rockslide. Just let the horse go, they will run too. In fact, let the reins drop and follow. Instinct will tell them where to run. They will sense where to go and you just need to run after them."

Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Talanwei dismounted his horse and stood before the grave. No offering was laid down. He felt the flowers did not need to be plucked and lain to wither before a grave. What he did lay was his hand on the cross and to the memorial of the fallen he gave prayer. For those souls that had gone before and those that would follow. No matter who this person worshipped, they were still living and breathing at one point and the follower of Illuminatus did not grudge others their beliefs. He was a vessel to his own god and he would preach his virtues to those who would listen. To ears deafened by death no words would reach so to the heavens he sent his thoughts.

Wielder of Light I pray that the souls that these passes have taken have found their sanctuary, no matter their destination. I do not entrust my safety to the spirit of these mountains, Bright One, if it is your will for my safety, then safe I will be.

To you, spirit that dwells these cliffs, I know we are in your domain and know that we bear you no ill will and only wish to pass.

Prayer made Talanwei calm, always. It had the effect of a cool drink of water or a night of dreamless sleep. He smiled softly as he looked at the wooden cross. Illuminatus knew his heart, knew that no other gods came before He. Even if his lack of tribute resulted in the ire of the spirit, the Achadhiel was not afraid. Hopefully the deity would feel the strength of his spirit and a brand of respect would be born. Talanwei took his time in remounting his horse, patting its neck once he successfully took to the saddle. As with most instances, the aspiring paladin listened carefully as Ulder imparted more of his knowledge of horses to the group. The prospect of a rock slide was a bit worrisome but for good or ill, Talanwei was ready to proceed.
Guido Cercatoro

In their own distinctive ways, Thrandil, Trajan, Ulder and Talanwei made their respects to the grave that crowned the rocky outcrop. When each reached the summit they were confronted with an unremarkable stone cairn behind which stood the wooden cross that they had seen from below. Strangely, the air on the outcrop appeared warmer and much stiller than that on the path below. Scratched on the surface of the horizontal part of the cross were a few simple words. Yet, unknown to the four pilgrims, they saw very different words….

First came Thrandil, intertwining his rope amongst the garlands and praying to the Mother for the freedom and blessing of the spirit. As he prayed, the adheil felt a great contentment, as if the Mother approved and lent support to his actions. The words on the cross had at first appeared indistinct but for an instant they coalesced into a few clear words in a mixture of Elven and common: Namaste, tuirdhiel, he waits for you beyond the green lake.

Trajan unsheathed the strange sword that he had acquired from the dead soldier, cut a flower and laid it across the garlands before kneeling and praying. Despite his prayers, he felt no direct connection with his God and a little unsettled. The words on the cross momentarily stood out in bright white letters: The One has no sway here. The words flickered and took another form: Use it to kill her or more will die.

Ulder watered the grave. It only took a few flickers before a small, delicate blue flower sprouted from the ground. A single stem. A single flower. The words on the cross glowed softly: A gift for your wife. If Ulder picked the flower, he would find that it came easily from the ground.

Talanwei placed his hand on the cross and paid homage to the memory of the one who had fallen. The achadheil felt a great contentment, as if his God supported his actions. The words flared with a soft, blue tinged light: Namaste, she waits for you beyond the green lake.

All the riders remounted without incident and, heeding Ulder’s warning words, made their way carefully up the path towards the gorge.

The path rose steeply and the vegetation more sparse as the group wound their way up the mountain trail led by Lyanros. Almost without warning, the rock on both sides of the trial began to rise in height and within a few paces it was clear that they were at the start of the gorge.

“The path lies through the bottom of the gorge,” explained the guide. " And then it rises through a crack in one side. It is then only a short distance to the mining camp.”

After riding for around two burns, the guide pulled his horse to a stop and dismounted. Up ahead, the trail was partially blocked by the remains of a rockslide which had tumbled down from the western side of the trail. The rocks had been cleared a little, presumably by the miners who had reported the slide, and there was enough gap for one rider at a time to pass through. Above the gap in the trail, the side of the gorge was covered with a sea of rocks that appeared to be very unstable.

“We must take great care,” said Lyanros. “One at a time. Make no noise for the merest vibration may dislodge the rocks.”

Picking his route slowly and with great care, the guide successfully made his way through the opening in the rockslide and turned to beckon his companions to follow him.

Return to “The Baron Estates”