OOC Proper Fireworks

Moderator: Mods

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

OOC Proper Fireworks

Post by Maeve »

Here it is, the proper OOC thread. Post all your comments here. I shall follow up with an analysis shortly, after I put the kids to bed.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Now, first of all I want to say that I took over this scene as part of a GD discussion, in which Grey Wolf was overruled for he has not asked for this outcome. He did not rat on you, but all threads are subject to review and sometimes we interfere to prevent any ill feeling as a preventive measure. A different moderator perspective can be just what the scene needs, especially if it deals with potential PC death or even multiple PC death. *gives the grumbling wolf a hug*

To resolve this situation I've been handed Grey Wolfs notes of the thread. Below I will give a summary of the thread including how the scene started because the current thread is a side thread of that and it seems to get lost in the shuffle.

Issues that were floating were the following:
  • The scene was not clear enough. The crowd came as a surprise.
  • None of the actions taking were reaping a result, giving the impression of a predetermined result that could not be influenced, which is frustrating players.
  • There is group think. Players can not see the solution out of the situation.
  • There is a general confusion on how magick works in Tazlure, which is partly a result of different mods handling situations differently.
  • Some of the reviewers questioned the IC pretence to be in the scene, in that only an excuse was sought to be there, because people wanted to prevent some consequences of what seemed about to happen. Also known as mixing IC and OOC.
  • Assuming success. Not once, but several times.

I am not going to say who was right, the player or the moderator. That is not the point. There were frustrations on all sides. Giving a different perspective is hopefully helping you to resolve this situation, even if it is at a great cost, what ever that might be.

I am also not grumbling at you. Yes, you are all veterans in some way or other, but we are all human. The thought of losing a PC, a friend or a valuable commodity is painful. It also makes this game such a gripping story. The only thing that I will expect of you is to voice your concerns, naturally in a constructive manner but I wouldn't expect anything less of such veteran players ;)
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Before we start, my credentials. I'm work in healthcare, and I'm also trained by the firebrigade to rescue employees from buildings. On top of that I've got an intimate knowledge of Magick though that focuses on mindcraft more than sorcery. All in all I think I'm able to make some very credible calls on the situation but feel free to disagree with me and post it here. Our Rules of Realism will be the end decision.

Situation sketch:
How often the expression No expenses were spared has been used in the past and held but a grain of truth in it? This time it was certainly not the case, the streets decorated opulently, though with style, the money coming from the Imperial Treasury and if rumors were to be believed a mysterious noble who reached deeply into his purse. Marketplace stalls have been cleared out, moved to the side alleys and at the mouth of each a strangely crisp and immaculately attired City Guardsman stood, Imperial Banner fluttering from the tip of his or her spear.

Entertainment was abundant, every suitable spot either holding a small group of Bardic College students playing dance tunes, or acrobats, a theatre troupe performing a humorous act, or near the Temple of Pecunia a whole circus with the arena set up in the open, Temple yard temporarily housing the backstage where props and equipment rested until they were needed. Magician, albeit one of obviously limited talent, cast spells of illusion and trickery drawing gasps and cries of surprise from the gathered crowd.

Tables, creaking under the weight of piled up food and snacks were spaced out evenly along the street, servants standing ready to help those who happened to pass by to a healthy chunk of meat or a wooden plate filled with steaming thick vegetable stew. Others passed out sweets and cakes, the blocked up alleys serving as delivery paths for other servants to refill the tables and keep them laden with food constantly. Barrels of fine beer, and quite good wine were equally numerous, and all who wished received a well filled cup of the liquor. A few of the revelers were already quite well soaked in the alcohol, and the guard have had to remove a few, but those that did not cause too much trouble were left to sing and enjoy themselves slurring heavily, their tongue thick with inebriation.

Wreaths of fresh flowers adorned every facade, their fragrance enhanced by the minor magics of the Priestesses of Mother that had woven them all the day before, hanging upon every nook and cranny of the houses, Temples and Businesses of the temple Lane. They swayed even in the rhythm of the music coming from the bards, almost coming to life for this very special night.

All were eagerly awaiting the fireworks that would signal the end of the Coronation Ceremony, signaling that after a long months of wait the Citadel would have a new Caesar. His people knew little about Lord Andolin Azarin, but his ascension has been marked with the end of the war and that made him a good ruler. Time would tell if such impression would hold or if people would see another face of their new rules.

Grey Wolf wrote:There might have been a big celebration that evening, engulfing most of the Citadel, but some people had to work even on a day like that, though truth be told Joseph loved his job. Perhaps calling what Joseph did for his master a job would not be the best way of describing it. It was more that Joseph had an interesting hobby and his master found a way to utilize it for his own goals. His hand moved to brush his thin hair back, the skeletal man catching himself before he touched the wispy strands, knowing that stuff upon his hands would make it even thinner. He frowned and caught himself before he began humming a tune, knowing he was to be silent and keep quiet until the signal came.

Through the stalls piled at the mouth of the alley, he could see a group of drunken sailors singing a tune about catching a mermaid by her tail, their loud voices almost drowned in the noise of other revelers upon the Temple Lane. The piece of flint in his hand almost burned Joseph's palm, the nervous little man tightening his fist around it, the stone's sharp edges digging into his flesh painfully. Unable to hold a soft muttering from coming out, he wiped his right palm against his trousers, feeling the oily substance from it sinking into the fabric and cooling his skin as it began to evaporate. He almost rose and strode to the corner to see what was keeping the others up. "They did not get drunk and forgot did they? If they did......"

Grey Wolf wrote:Leaving a man like Joseph wait was a very bad thing, and as he sat there in the dark alley, the wiry man pondered how he should perhaps have a little fire teach his accomplices how to hurry up. I could go to their hideout later and use..... No, I should not. Boss will be pissed if I do that and I don't want to piss him off. Wringing his hands nervously, he began thudding the back of his head against the wall of the Temple, the dull pain serving well to keep him focused.

It was then that a sudden flash of light almost blinded him, eliciting a yelp of mixed joy and surprise from the thin man. One of the tall banners serving as decoration for the massive celebration upon the Temple Road caught fire, the flames licking upwards, nearly ten yards into the air. Joseph jumped from where he half stood and half sat and quickly struck the flint against his dagger, lighting the wick of a lamp he had prepared earlier. He reveled in the dance of the flames, reaching to almost touch it, and then pushed away running down the alley, the string clutched firmly in his hand. He heard the clang as he ran out and away from the new Red Rose Guild, feeling the wave of heat upon his back as the mixture he had used to douse the walls caught fire with a healthy WHOOMPH.

Ashari determines from afar there is a fire.

Things determined so far:
  • Ashari feels the fire before she sees it
  • Ashari instantly knows it is the RRG and that Aeris might be inside.
  • Ashari mindspeaks to Aeris and cries out her name.
  • Aerin hears Ashari cry out.

Just to be clear about this: while the tealeaves are suggesting some possible outcomes you all can still influence the result. However that will require some out of the box thinking.

Questions from me:

1) Ashari, I am unclear on your ways of communicating with Aeris. I had a PC with mindcrafting and she was unable to perform the talents you showed that I shall term "Mindspeak" (aka, not just reading a persons mind but carrying on communication). If this is a talent you possess I want to see it listed on your sheet in a way that doesn't give confusion.
So far, what I know of mindcraft suggests that you may be aware of thoughts/feelings of Aeris, but without Aeris being able to communicate with you. Not trying to play hardball here, merely trying to see how this works :)

2) Ashtallion.. dude! I totally don't get what you are trying to do magickally. Can you give me a summary of what you think you are accomplishing so that we can come to some common ground on what you are and are not capable of doing? Also, just so that we are clear of this I'm currently assuming you cannot mindspeak to Ashari. Also, as to your involvement in the scene, you seem to be suddenly there.

3) Might I humble point out to all of you not to ignore non-magickal solutions? As described above, they may not be the most appropriate response and I wonder if you are in a panic if that is the first thing you are going to try. It strikes me as odd that all of you are using magick instead of the mundane.
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

Also, before we start: I worked as a volunteer fire fighter for four years and was on the scene for numerous accidents as well as a good number of fires (including, but not limitted to, rescue work inside of buildings and control burns). So, I'm hardly a novice when it comes to fires. That being said, I've also been playing a mindcrafting PC for about three years now and consider myself fairly well knowledgable in this piece of Tazlure.

To continue with the questions you raised: No, I don't have a "mind speak" ability, but, one of the great facets of Tazlure magick is the openess of it. Ashari not only has bardic voice/mind craft at master (which she is using quite effectively to keep the throng at bay) but also manipulation of sorcery at master, and the description of which reads:

Mental Master wrote:Mental Master
You wield an impressive mount of energy drawn from them deepest and most powerful places of your mind. You are capable of finding whole new applications others have not thought about before. Known for your amazing finesse and power your reputation is formidable and spread far and wide.

And I've even come up with some interesting and fun ways of applying that power such as healing Ketch (something that mindcraft wouldn't normally be used for) by finding the source of his injury and mending his broken bones. You know why I loved that thread? Because I was excited about the oppertunity that my magick presented and that I could do something real and useful with it. It was incredibly rewarding.

What I did by calling out to Aeris with a sort of "mind speak" was indeed out of the box thinking.. Isn't that was we're looking for here?

I wasn't aware that we were to be trapped by the collective skills we already have, but were to expand on them in new and interesting ways. How else do you think Ash has gained all the skills she has so far? Otherwise we'd be stuck with the same 10 skills we were allotted in the beginning, yes?

To target the assumptions: I apologize for the assumptions I made.. In all honesty I was trying to get in to do something, because Grey Wolf had made it clear to me that this thread was going to go forward whether Ashari participated in it or not - so yeah, I took some more actions in a single post than I often would have, but it was out of fear of what was spiralling outside of my PCs control. It was also out of my own fear as a player of seeing the things I'd been working for going to be destroyed.

1: Ashari feels the fire before she sees it: I did not claim to feel the fire. She sees the banner on fire, which is her first indication, and she is made to be incredibly uncomfortable by this. From reading Grey Wolf's post he says:

Wolfie wrote:He heard the clang as he ran out and away from the new Red Rose Guild, feeling the wave of heat upon his back as the mixture he had used to douse the walls caught fire with a healthy WHOOMPH.

Now, I'm not sure how you read that, but I read it as the fire is taking off with exuberance - the sort of exuberance that would grab some attention as it exploded up the wall of the building.

2a: Considering I've been living there for months.. I think I know the general direction that my building is in. I'm on Temple Lane.. there's a fire.. If there was a house on fire on your block do you think you'd be able to tell if it was yours or someone elses?
2b: Of course I'd assume Aeris is inside! She lives there... and she's hiding from Isis. The girl hasn't left in months. Where else would she be?

3: I've already covered the mindspeaking bit above.

As far as the suddeness, there was a slight glitch in the ordering of our posts & our arrivals, due to Ashtillion & I having a side thread from the Coronation which I asked Grey Wolf's permission for but that wasn't started until after we'd all already posted in this thread. Basically, we just went forward rather than going back to edit our posts to reflect that Ashtillion and Ashari walked together from the Coronation to the RRG & that Aerin followed them.

From the standpoint of magicking: What you have here are two masters of their craft... why would they try anything other than what they are most comfortable with? Ashari and Ashtillion have used their magick countless times (not always to sucess, but atleast in attempt) and as such, would not think it shocking to try it.

Add that to the fact that Ashari has a healthy fear of fire (and for good reason!) and you get one girl that was not willing to step foot into a burning building nor get too close to it unless she thought it the last option... which she clearly has now.

From a player standpoint: I.. don't really care about the traditional way of fighting a fire. If I wanted pure reality I wouldn't play a fantasy game. Of course Ashari would use her magick! Why would I pass up a chance to show off her skills? I'm proud of what I've accomplished with her. So.. yeah. I'm not using water to put out the fire until all my fantasy needs are filled. Is there something so wrong with that? :wink:
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Just so we aren't reinventing the wheel here, I would point out these passages under Applications of Mindcraft in the wiki.

At Apprentice level of mindcraft, the caster gains the ability to perform telepathy-related weavings. He is now not only able to read another's mind, but to project thoughts or words into them. Starting at Journeyman, he can also use his mindcraft skill to open a telepathic link to anyone whose mind he is familiar with, thus allowing for two-way communication that was not possible on earlier levels.

While most other powers (with the exception of illusion) require physical proximity - at least to such a level that eye contact can be made - telepathy can be unleashed on anyone within line of sight, without actual eye contact. Again, this can be done when Empathy is used to augment the skill. If the caster must still use his voice to deliver the spell, he must still make sure that he is within hearing range of the target before the telepathy takes effect. Afterwards, however, he may move back out of hearing range; proximity is not required to maintain the spell. At Master level, and if the crafter possesses at least Journeyman level in Empathy, the caster may actively channel commands and suggestions directly into his target's mind. This has one advantage: he may do so from a greater distance, and without the use of eye contact.

So based on this, mind speak is perfectly possible without a special skill for it listed so long as Ashari can see the target for the establishment of the link. [/quote]
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

Post by Aerin Penna Seleratus »

Not that Aerin's physically or magically capable of doing anything other than what Ashari requested, 6 years firefighting here - 4 volunteer and 2 years US Navy. :)

C'mon, Astillion - whip out your creds! Hehehe
”The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” – Nietzsche

Avatar by Draconis (Found and resized by Paige)
http://drakonis.org
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Well, I'm glad we can then all agree on the dynamics of fires, crowd control etc. While this is fantasy it is not fairy tale, so those realistic elements do play a role. Magick too is part of our reality. I am partial to some of the arguments made, but possibly not all of them. I'm checking my sources though.

Ashari, I know you feel under attack, it oozes off the screen right now. *hugs* you aren't, and I apologize if you took my words to mean that when all I wanted was to understand the scene. If I felt this was an issue of discipline you know as senior player and previous mod that I would have been PM-ing you in person ;)

I took over the thread because the OOC chemistry was wrong and people (not just you) were getting frustrated because things didn't seem to fit or were not going forward. I had some open questions about the scene before I could start moderating (and asking them deliberately in public not in PM for the benefit of other readers) that are now gradually being answered.

Now then, I hope that a different moderator style will draw a different perspective, so that we can avoid any further frustrations. I hope you all believe me that there are no predetermined results, though some things have of course been set in motion due to what is happening in other threads.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

I'd like to say that I have never been a fireman, but I've seen one on television. I've started fires, though mostly in a fireplace. I've put out fires, like last month a hotpad I was using to take something out of the oven caught fire (isn't that a good lawsuit in the making?) and I calmly took the flaming fireproof hotpad remnant and doused it with water from the kitchen sink. As such, I think this makes me as much an expert to comment on this thread as the many so-called "experts" that are commenting on the US political primary process.

In case you are wondering, Andolin has a native craft skill of sarcasm (go look at my sheet), so I think you will understand where I am heading with this. I just wanted to say that it sounds like a fun thread, and misunderstandings amongst players only add spice to things. ;) Sounds like things are all straight, people are smiling, and I'm now convinced that Andolin needs to learn mind speak. It would do wonders if one had a sore throat, though it is never as much fun as whispering aloud about someone, hoping that the someone overhears you.

I'd just like to say that I support everyone and that I'm glad that everything has been clarified so well. But then, Andolin is also a journeyman at the skill of "Riding the fence." Another one to look up on my sheet.

So, where is the weather magic when it is needed? Nothing like a good soaking rain. In the meantime, this is occuring on an island, so one would hope that there was some water nearby.

If Andolin was there, he'd be sure to help ... though perhaps throwing oil on the fire; but then, that is what I'm doing here.

Tough day at work has my mind completely batty and I needed to post something appropriate before turning back to reading stacks of documents. *Hugs the Dragon, Wolf, Andi's new favorite sorceress, and the rest of the Citadel fire brigade present in this thread*
[i]Someone has to be in charge, so it might as well be me.[/i]
Andolin Avatar by the Nice GD
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

*thwaps cheeky Caesar* we will get to you next, don't you worry for lack of attention :twisted:

Okay people, I have made a summary of actions and success. I will post it below. Please let me know if you think I misinterpreted. I have put some more notes in the coordination thread so all you eager modding seminarists that can access the SI coordination forum can check it out there. I'm deliberately showing actions vs success here. I had a comment in the modding seminar that we are more about poetry than actual gaming. I think this proves that statement wrong (poignant though it was indeed, but more on that in the modding seminar this weekend).

Ashtallion. I think I've got a better idea of what you are doing, but I will still require further action/stated intent from you.

I think on the whole that there was a lot of Player Success in this thread, even though endresults were still frustrating. I know it is disenchanting to read this list, but I thought it would clear up the air.

[hr][/hr]

Location: the RRG is next to the Temple of Pan right up on Temple Lane. Somewhat further down the lane is the Temple of the Mother.

Joseph and several unnamed accomplices doused the walls of the Red Rose Guild in a chemical mixture designed to be ignited. This means that
a) There is going to be some funky effects to the fire in color and toxic fumes in addition to the normal fumes (which already are toxic)
b) There are several hearths of fire
c) People trapped inside will have less chance of escaping the inferno for reasons a and b combined.

Ashari and Ashtallion are walking down the street, going home from the coronation. They hear the explosion.
Ashari, shields, centers, relaxs (grounds?) and sends out tendrils of energy to see what is afoot.

Ashari then calls her own results which includes
- yes there is a fire (reasonable enough, it is all over with more than one sense)
- Aeris is there (reasonable assumption based on deduction rather than skill use)
- she attempts to mindspeak at Aeris

Aerin arrives on the scene, catching sight of Ashari. She also gets a wiff of the fire. See above. Aerin does an attempt at dispelling the fire by simply imaging elementals and telling them to disperse.

Ashtallion shields (grounds, centers?) and decides to call upon air and water to form rain. Uses his normal voice to communicate with Ashari instead of mindspeaking, though Im not sure Ashari was even mindspeaking at him, rather at Aeris.

Mod reminds everybody not to assume IC knowledge of the fire and the fact it is the guild. Determines the following results
- there is a large crowd there. It was mentioned in previous posts, but somewhat overlooked by players in their haste. Crowd is in the way and obviously not aware or greatly concerned by the fire.
- Crowd is not only physical in the way but serves as a distraction on the concentration of the mages.
- Aerin falls to the ground and falls nauseous. The toxic fumes are getting to her.
-Ashtallion is starting reap some results. However his concentration is broken.
-now panic is spreading. The fire is starting to spread the heat. Crowd is moving away from the building. Screaming. Pushing. Running. Aerin's hand is damaged.

Ashari concentrates on her spell. She wills the crowd out of her way commanding them to stay clear. She also takes their life energy or at least a little, leeching them, a new trick. She commands them to stand still. she then proceeds to make a vacuum above the fire, starting to snuff out the air. She also wants to levitate above the crowd.

Ashtallion breaks of his weaving and starts to move closer to the guild.

Mod determines
- Ashari taps into the energies of emotions urging.
- Ashari's spell of stillness is working. It also hits Ashtallion and Aerin though even if with limited effect due to shields.
- Ashari's doesn't levitate.

Ashtallion merges with the fire (?) absorbing the energy.
Aerin thinks she's going to die and gives into despair.

Ashari is seduced by the power, and maintains her spell of stillness. She starts to move through the crowd and attempts to speak to Ashtallion. She tells him she's looking for Aeris. She attempts to mindspeak Aeris.

Mod determines
- crowd remains under control, stays calm and even feels joy at watching such a beautiful thing. The crowd is starting to feel the effects of the fire, sweating. Possibly toxic fumes are doing their work. A mod warning was previously given that panic serves a purpose in getting people away from danger.
- Aeris can't reply to Ashari though Ashari can sense her.
-Ashtallion can concentrate again depsite Ashari's mind spell due to improved shielding and concentration. He becomes one with the fire, which seems far more than a normal fire.
-Aerin hears Ashari mindspeak. Possibly all of the crowd does.

Ashtallion is willing the fire to diminish all by itself, become smaller, stop consuming. Dismissing it. To do this he's seeking to stop air coming to the flames.

Aerin tries to use the pain to break free of the spell.

Ashari tries to mindspeak with Aeris after having found the first life sign. She tells mod that naturally only two people are inside and teh rest of staff is off celebrating. Ketch is there with Aeris. Ashari suggests sending in the crowd with buckets. She also suspects somebody would love for the crowd to end up dead.

Mod determines
- Ashtallion is having trouble working subtle magick due to the fire being chemically enhanced and unusually fierce. There is also a breeze in the air that he helped cause, making the blanket nonexisting and instead the breeze is helping the fire. this is an IC consequence of a half finished spell that Ashtallion did earlier.
-Mod gives warning that only localized repression will work.
- the Temple of Pan is starting to be affected
- Mod reminds Ahsari the crowd has not moved only stretched out their hands in admiration
- there is heavy smoke, the air getting more difficult to breath, and it is engulfing the crowd. The first threatening of victims.
- Aerin breaks free of the spell, her broken hand very painful indeed. She's still nauseous from the fumes (rather than the pain).
- Ashari is allowed a view through Aeris eyes. Aeris appears to be delusional. Not looking for Ketch she is not finding him either.
- Mod informs there are two immediate sources of water: the Turtle Fountain and a great number of beer kegs.

Aerin moves forward to the fire looking for an entrance. She knows somebody is trapped inside.

Ashari moves back the crowd three steps. She sees Aerin and assumes she's a mage student. She gives Ashtallion a pep talk and alerts him to the beer kegs, judging the fountain too far away.

Ashtallion stops his efforts. He ponders the suggestions from Ashari and suggests she pools him magick. Ashtallion then decides to completely open all his channels.. his flood gate to the energy of the flames.

Ashtallion attempts to change the energy of fire into something else. Water perhaps. He is all open now, pouring in. He hints at one last choice he rather avoids.

The player of Aeris arrives and assumes success in
- using mindspeak (though mod had already ruled that out of the question for Aeris though not for Ashari)
- knowing of the fountain and access to water
- knowing of a location of a window despite the smoke
- jumping out of a window
- coming out in a flash
Aeris does not acknowledge the delusion.

Mod determines
- Aerin succeeds in reaching Ashari
- Aerin sees that the Temple of Pan provides an opening, an entrance.
- Ashtallion takes complete control of the fire, enhanced by Ashari, but loses track on how exactly he's going to disperse the energy, transmute it into something else. This will require a clear description of intention of the spell. It is clear however that Ashtallion is the focus of immense power.
- Aeris is delusional. Thus, while she thinks she's jumping through a window, in reality she's simply imagining things and not physically moving.

Aerin identifies herself to Ashari, but takes no action.

Ashari suggests that Aerin goes to get the guards. She then decideds to go inside. She used a breeze to push open the door, preparing herself for backdraft and such.

Aerin goes to get the guards.

Aeris has a trip down memory lane, as dying people are said to do. She then claims a talisman that allows :
Sefek

Sefek, the Unbandaged Calling, is best defined as 'generic' shamanic magic. Sefek allows the caster a lot more freedom, and its scope is theoretically as unlimited as that of other forms of shamanism: the sorcerer-priest can contact any spirit, use the energy received for any weaving. However, practitioners of Amunic magick will never become as adept or natural at this as other users of shamanic magick, due to the ritualistic way in which they have been taught and the preference for certain types of spirit and certain types of application that is hammered into Amunics at an early age.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

First and foremost, the reason I have waited until now to post a response, is that I have felt extremely angered at this being posted publicly for the entire board to be made aware of. I can understand the GD's decisions for this, as other players will want to be reassured that something is being done, however the passed couple of days, it has hardly been a reassurance for myself.

My confidence in being able to write has been slightly shaken I have to admit, for I now feel, not under attack, but certainly under severe scrutiny. Do you know how long it took me to form the post I have just written in Proper Fireworks? A fair while, and why? Because I am now unsure as to how anything I write will be viewed upon, not just by the Moderators and GD's, but by other members of the board. I would have thought that after spending years writing in Tazlure, being a supporter, having been a moderator and co-ordinator, I would have known how to watch out for assuming too much, blurring the lines between IC and OCC interaction and determining my own successes...evidently, I was wrong to think such.

I agree with Ashari, and while I personally have no experience in dealing with fires, why wouldn't Ashtallion first think to use magic to put the fire out instead of seeking mundane methods? He is a sorcerer, with a keen affinity for fire and as such is far from afraid of this element and the manipulation of such energy. As to what Ashtallion is trying to do, apologies for any confusion, however I am also confused myself with it. A natural assumption for putting out a fire, is indeed, water. Ashtallion tried to make it rain.....he wasn't kicking up a massive storm, only rain, and the Citadel being surrounded by water, I would have thought such a thing feesible, however I respect and hold no resentment for Grey Wolf's decision to make that avenue a dead end.

The thought to change the fire energy into another form had not crossed my mind to be honest, and again apologies if my writing suggests such. The changing of one energy into another is something, I'm sure, that only the ancient Archmages were capable of doing, and I am not arrogant enough to presume Ashtallion is powerful enough to hold that title. Yet.

Can you give me a summary of what you think you are accomplishing so that we can come to some common ground on what you are and are not capable of doing?

I would love to be able to do so Maeve, however, it is never been clear what I can and cannot do. I was trying to tread very carefully with the applications of sorcery Ashtallion is attempting, as he has never been pushed to the limits of abilities before so I am entirely unclear myself what my little golden sorcerer is capable of.

Master
You wield the energy with an expert hand, and even draw in energy from your surroundings, though not other people. You know many variations of applications and your fame is spreading, possibly drawing apprentices to you should you choose to accept them.

The defination for someone holding Manipulation of Energy: Sorcery, at Master level.......never has Tazlure had a strict list of 'spells' that a sorcerer is able to cast, which is one of things I love as it forces me to stretch my imagination. Imagination. That is what Ashtallion is trying to do, use his mind to accomplish the task. If I can be given a clear list of what my mage is and is not capable of doing, then I will accept it gladly to save any future, potential, doubts being cast over what I have written.

I know this is not an attack on those involved in the thread, however a more private approach and curtailment would have been appreciated, as this does indeed feel, to me, like being put infront of a panel of judges and expected to explain myself.

This has by no means diminished my enjoyment of Tazlure. And further apologies if the above has come across too strong, it is simply my feelings.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Everybody is allowed one's own feelings. I have them too. This is not my favourite way of returning to the game, especially since I'm still stretched thin, but I judged it necessary. Perhaps I could have worded things differently, but I was trying to create clarity and openness in my usual blunt manner.

I can understand that being under scrutiny is making you swallow and slightly nervous, especially if part of those observations are about mistakes players made which no doubt causes anxiety and defensiveness. Though I would point out that not all observations are regarding your own posts.

Is communication at fault here? Yes. I think from both sides an open communication at an earlier stage would have prevented this. However I did not enter this thread to punish you as I previously stated.

You are not alone in your frustrations regarding this thread, but also over general issues. I have sensed the same frustrations all over the board in fact. It is precisely why this is a public thread, because I want to showcase this to see what is causing the miscommunication within our modding. That is at the core of this, IMHO, while in other threads there maybe additional issues (like inexperience with Tazlure's setting and rules, a lack of goals etc.) that clearly do not feature here.

Right now we are debating in the moderator area where we, Tazlure wide, are being unclear on achieved results, causes and consequences, as well as the limits on magick. The latter because a lot of people are unclear on how to handle it despite so many attempts on clarification in the past.

The player frustrations are not just about magick. There is nothing more hateful than feeling a lack of success and being presented with apparently predetermined results that you can not influence in anyway or form. One player has described it to me as feeling like it is a constant struggle without relief. I personally coined the phrases "throwing up obstacles instead of providing options" where situations are created that don't even allow a chance at success. However the other side of the coin is that in cases where the Moderator is in fact providing options and only following up the IC consequences of what a player initiated... he or she is met with the same frustrations. This suggests there is also something with the perception rather than the actual determination of success.

So, I'm sure that some summaries of those debates, and some changes in write ups or additional articles in the wiki will be the result of that. All senior players can access the Modding Seminar and are allowed to enter the debates there that touch the same subjects.

Some brief thoughts before I go to post for the thread again. I think Magic vs the Mundane is a worthy subject of debate in the Modding Seminar, and in fact is also part of the debate in the cantine as they are two opposite factions among our mods. Not sure we are even capable of reconciling that. While I can understand the arguments brought forward here, Magick is part of our reality, I would argue that even so sometimes it is simpler to use a mundane solution and us mortals being inherently lazy might think of the most simple solution first. That might still include magick of course, but more on the level of cantrips, mild control etc.

I am not going to be tempted into saying what you should have done IC in my opinion though, as I would not tolerate anybody telling me that either (my prerogative as a player). This is not a single solution issue. There were many options. You did what you did. I'm dealing with the consequences of that.

A natural assumption for putting out a fire, is indeed, water. Ashtallion tried to make it rain.....he wasn't kicking up a massive storm, only rain, and the Citadel being surrounded by water, I would have thought such a thing feesible, however I respect and hold no resentment for Grey Wolf's decision to make that avenue a dead end.

Have you communicated with GW on this? Because in my analysis of the thread I did not see a mod determination "nah. doesn't work." It was working, but slowly, in part due to distractions offered by the chaotic situation. You however decided to try a new avenue. The effects of the first spell even lingering around later in the thread.

I think your OOC perception of the thread might have differed here with GW. This is one of the reasons I did a full listing, to find that in many instances the players in this thread have been successful. It would help all of us if you can analyse why you thought you were not going anywhere. Perhaps there are things in our way of storytelling that need adjusting.
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

Here's an example of the "Contributing without controlling" problem I want to work on, so please - if I overstap bounds - feel free to tell me.

I feel that in action sequences like this, to avoid the miscommunication problems, something that I used to do in tabletop might help. A little 'bare facts' 'mandatory' PM to all players from the mod letting them know key details such as positioning would be good - something like:

"You all see the burning building. Astallion and Ashari were in the lead, so they are ten meters from the door. Aerin was following behind, so she is 20 meters from the door and ten meters (obviously) from Ashari and Ashtallion. There is a crowd present all around the three of you, some panicing due to the fire, some curious, some helping to try to douse it, and more still unaware. The wind is blowing the flames toward to temple of Pan."

This information can be then used by both players and mods to see the same picture and more accurately base their actions upon. I know it seems like double work, but information like this would have been helpful when Ashtari (who was probably closer to the RRG than the temple) posted drawing Aerin near while GW posted Aerin emerging near the temple instead, both posts giving differing stories of where Aerin was and forcing me to say 'Ok, she emerged at the temple and then walked over to Ashari when called.'
”The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” – Nietzsche

Maeve

Post by Maeve »

A fair point Aerin.

For the current scene:

Ashtallion is in a ball of fire above the citadel, joining the celebrations of the Coronation in his own special way. It will take a bit before the fire consumes itself entirely.

Ashari is in the garden with Ketch in a rain of debris.

While the main force of the fire has been removed, there are still spots that could prove troublesome, spreading it over the quarter.

There are singed and even dead people in the street before the RRG.

More on the scene in next posts.

At this moment in time the thread, if it ever was officially declared impassable, is no longer. While there are still ways in which the remaining PC's can die (the scene is still life threatening after all) , the tealeaves suggest that at the moment master mages ought to be able to handle it. (I know there were some concerns to timeknots, but you needn't worry on that for now).
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

*wipes sweat from brow*

I thought Asht was going to fall down and go boom. Talk about fireworks!
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ophelia da Yrsa
Civus

Post by Ophelia da Yrsa »

I was thinking he'd make more of a SPLAT myself. :wink:
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain"
~Bob Marley
Avatar by the ever so lovely [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com/]Finnyface[/url]. Full size in journal.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

One might expect a mage to levitate, I presume *chuckles*. Especially if it is two of them. Isn't that one of the earliest cantrips? Damn... I'm still stuck on D&D. ;)
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

2nd level spell actually but who's counting? :)
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

As long as it is not SPLAT level :twisted:
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

Was it something like Raistlin or Fistandantilus or something (I'm thinking Dragonlance novels, if I'm not wrong) who plummeted to his death clutching a ring, his last word being "Featherfa--"<splat>?

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

It was Fistandatilus and Tasslehoff Burrfoot, plummeting from a huge chain, with Tasslehoff thinking what it feels like when you go SPLAT. Typical Kender line of thought.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

It was Fizban the Fabulous actually and his death was marked by the conjuring of a cloud of chicken feathers.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Twas indeed Fizban! And how glad am I that my little sorcerer didn't go SPLAT!
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

As am I! I don't think Ashari could've dealt with losing you both in one evening.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Post by Fauna Winthrope »

"Dragonlance! Dragonlance!
I see Tika's underpants!"
"Cruelty has a Human Heart,
Jealousy a Human Face,
Terror the Human Form Divine,
and Secrecy the Human Dress."

-- William Blake
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Will it be safe to assume a couple of side effects for Ashtallion? Nausea, tiredness etc from the spell casting?

Return to “Imperial Mail Archive”