Eastern Promises ~ (Chyril 26th Early TT)

Moderator: Mods

Adriano Marinetti
Blackheart hand

Eastern Promises ~ (Chyril 26th Early TT)

Post by Adriano Marinetti »

The sign above the doorway read, in a less than skilled hand, "The Ha'penny Mermaid," and the mermaid was evocatively if crudely carved with a rather lewd smile, both hands cupping her not inconsiderable bosom. It was not an unusual sight near the harbor, and it seemed to fit well among the more rowdy and boisterous establishments that lined the Bower Market, only a few doors down from Hadvin's Oddities.

The tiny inn and tavern fairly stank with the mingled odors of food and sweat and the cheap, overpowering perfume of the over-rouged and under-dressed barmaids who sauntered about with overflowing tankards of ale. Old fodder was used to cover the floors instead of sawdust or wood, and that gave a slightly sour tinge to the air as the thrashed grass hadn't been changed or shifted in countless weeks. Over this modest floor were several tables, none of which were in great shape, and countless chairs, stools, and even discarded barrels were used for seats, the rings of the casks too rusted to be of any use at sea anymore.

The bar was strangely elegant compared the rest of the place, a carved slab of dark wood coated in wax and perhaps lovely once upon a time, though countless rings, nicks, scratches and stains covered it's surface now. It stood just beside the stairs leading up to the massive room in which pallets and hammocks were kept, a large, public room where the poor or the anonymous could sleep in perhaps not luxury or safety, but at least free from the elements.

A very wide, old man stood behind the bar, his beard little more than an uneven, imperfect splash of white-gray whiskers upon his face and all three of his wobbling chins. He wore a grimy shirt of off-white cotton under a brown vest of stained leather, and his massive, meaty hands carved a knife through a peg of wood that he whittled into a passably beautiful ship hull. Upon seeing the newcomers, he gives a quick nod. "Welcome to t'ha'penny. Have a seat anywheres...I bring ya beer..."

After passing the harbor gates without much trouble, Adriano decided the first order of business ought to be renting a room at one of the city's inns. Once that was taken care of, he could go wander about town and get to know the surroundings better. He had noticed a scuffle break out in a street, but quickly left the scene, figuring it was unwise to get involved in a conflict about which he knew absolutely nothing. Finding out who the man in black is was on his list, but it would have to wait. He wanted to avoid the upscale establishments located in the centre of town, partly because it was cheaper and partly because any information on the city's criminal underbelly would far more likely be found among its underclass. It took some time and asking around, but he finally found himself in front of some grungy tavern in the harbor district.

The Ha'Penny Mermaid looked cheap, if not particularly comfortable. He entered cautiously, clutching his belongings tightly and keeping one hand on his concealed dagger. Places like this were seldom safe, but he was not particularly nervous, having been to similarly disreputable dives many times in his life. If one can survive in the Seams, he can survive anywhere. The place stank of alcohol, various bodily fluids, cheap perfume, and the poorly lit interior looked like a scrapyard. It reminded him of home.

Tipping his hat to the burly bartender, he took a few leisurely steps forward, fully aware that his rather elegant clothes made him stand out among the sailors and cheap whores that littered this joint. He looked around, hoping to see if anyone interesting was present, or failing that to locate a free table.
Avatar courtesy of [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com/]Finn[/url]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Bortis hated this whole Shadow War or whatever it was they called it. Especially the part where he had been allied with the losing side in it and where he kept to bend over without a bucket of grease to help things going smoothly and without to much trouble. He was getting fucked and he did not like it. Luckily he was only being fucked symbolically, but it did not mean it was not hurting the burly bartender. Where the fuck is that bitch, Red? It has been weeks since I saw her last, and I don't give a damn if she has a bounty on her head. I need someone to keep Michael's boys in check.

The place was empty, or rather compared to regular crowd, the number of heavy drinkers was relatively light. A cluster of half a dozen sailors were doing their best performance of we are gonna get pissed and we are trying to break a record in how long it takes a great pile of mugs and bottles littering their table as they sang a song about a sailor who had taken a rather disturbing liking to his ships figurehead. Right now a corkscrew was being mentioned and ways to make a convenient hole in the wooden figure. Waitress weaved her way around the room, slapping straying hands away from her well rounded bottom, her skirt cut along the right thigh all the way to the hip, quite like her shirt displayed quite a bit more than it hid. She threw a wink at Adriano, putting a bit more sway into her walk.

There were a few other patrons, mostly sailors, but they sat alone or in pairs and were mostly way past the point where they could rise and walk out on their own. The only people that stood out were a group of three burly man sitting in the darkest corner, half hidden by the bar, their chairs tilted back, all three seemingly dozing off in their corner, a trio of mugs sitting before them. There was quite a number of spare table should the Mouthie wish to take a seat, and the bar itself had a number of chair lining it.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Adriano Marinetti
Blackheart hand

Leaving the sailors to their drunken revelry and the burly men to their sleep, Adriano sauntered off to an unoccupied table, deciding to have a drink before getting lodging at the Mermaid. The waitress looked far more appealing than the big bear of a man at the counter, so he flashed her an inviting smile before placing his sack on the barrel that served as a seat and sitting down. He placed his hat on the rickety table and leaned forward, his shifty gaze focused on the most appealing thing in the room - the waitresses' curves. As she came over, he nodded in greeting.

"Good morning. You wouldn't happen to have wine at this joint, would ya?", he said, his accent marking him unmistakeably as a foreigner.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

It took the maid less than a burn to make her way to Adriano's table, one of the sailors managing to get a good hold of her hips as she moved past the rowdy bunch, his reward apart from a good grope being a resounding BLOINK as the barmaid's metal tray whacked him over the head. The blow was not hard enough to truly hurt him, but it did made him let go, the rest of the tavern laughing at his expense as the waitress grinned and leaned down to kiss the struck spot before moving away. The brute at the bar did not even flinch at the whole scene, probably because it was bound to happen at such a place, and quite likely to happen a few times during the same day.

Obviously in a good mood, she made her way to Adriano's table, smiling and placed the tray on the flat surface, her other hand balled into a fist upon her hip. The girl knew how to show off her best assets, leaning forward slightly and giving the Mouthie a good look down her cleavage. "Of course, signore. Not the fancy-shmancy stuff they serve at Risque, but it won't make you go blind." She winked and glanced at the burly bartender. "Bortis there likes it when people keep on coming. So, a wine? Anything else? We cna set you up with anything you like, as long as you can afford it." Her lips quirked into a smile as she threw Adriano another wink.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Adriano Marinetti
Blackheart hand

"Good. I'd hate to go blind when there's such a pretty view in here.", Adriano responded with a grin as the waitress assured him of the wine's passable quality.

He enjoyed the view appreciatively, feeling a tingle in his loins. It had been some time since he had a woman. Back in the Mouth, affairs of the flesh took a backseat to managing the affairs of the gang, with only an occasional pointy-eared beauty providing some recreation. Now, he had successfully avoided arrest or death and fled to a land of new opportunities. He deserved to indulge himself a bit, in his opinion. By the looks of her, the girl was eager to please customers with more than drinks. Granted, she had probably serviced more ship's crews than the Arsenale, but Adriano wasn't a picky fellow.

"Well, I'll also need some lodging here. A room, or if you don't have any rooms a bed.", he continued, rubbing his goatee, "It would be nice to have someone to share said bed with. I hear the nights are cold here in the East."

He returned the waitresses' wink with one of his own and met her gaze, his lips curling into an impish smile.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

While Mermaid did not look like much, and was certainly not the cleanest bar in the city, it was neither the worst place to spend a night in or have a drink. The barmaid was not the youngest girl he had seen, probably having passed thirty yahren by an odd year or two, but she held herself well, and had a rather generously lavish bosom, the kind of which could easily serve as a pillow for more than a single weary man. As talk turned to a possible business arrangement between the two of them, she leaned even closer, making sure Adriano had a perfect and close up view of her cleavage. "Are you sure you want a room here? We only have a single room and you'll share it with others. I am sure you would prefer my bed, and I live just next door. If you warm my feet, I'll be very grateful." She smile impishly before adding. "Mind you. I sleep naked. Hope it ain't a problem?"
Adriano Marinetti
Blackheart hand

Adriano's smile grew into a grin, and the tingle in his loins turned into throbbing. This was a promising start of his stay in the Citadel. Renting out a bunk in the grimy, noisy, scum-infested common bedroom of the Mermaid certainly sounded less appealing than spending the night in a warm, comfy bed with a busty lady at his side - or more likely under, over and in front of him. The waitress was over thirty, but Adriano didn't mind. There was a saying in the Mouth: old hens make good chicken soup. Besides, she was still looking quite attractive. It took a lot of restraint not to reach for her tantalising tits right there and then. Fortunately, his lower brain did not succeed in completely shutting down the upper one, so he kept his composure. Also, certain nagging doubts crawled out of the crevice in his mind in charge of paranoid ideation. Things were good - almost too good. He wondered briefly whether the waitress was simply desperate for a lay or if she saw him as an easy mark to seduce, screw, and then rob of all possessions in the morning. Such thoughts were cast aside for the time being. If she did have ulterior motives, he would deal with it when the situation arose.

"No problem at all. I sleep naked too. And two naked people in bed together can do a lot more than keep each other's feet warm, no?", he replied with a wink and offered his hand, "For starters, how's about we introduce ourselves? I'm Adriano, and believe me it's a pleasure to meet you."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Had Adriano bothered to look at the rest of Daisy's selection of men, he might have found her interest in him quite logical, but as it were, the Mouthie thief was left with a nagging doubt that something would go wrong and that he would pay for a night of pleasure in the arms of voluptuous waitress. She chuckled and gave him an appraising look, nodding in approval, extending her hand as he offered a name. "Pleased to meet you Adriano. I am Daisy." She winked and leaned closer to whisper. "Don't you worry. I'll make sure you have pleasant dreams and do not catch a cold." She frowned for a moment, before adding. "I fear you'll have to wait till eveningtide. Anna and Maria will come to take over then."
Adriano Marinetti
Blackheart hand

"Daisy... It suits you.", he said after he brought her hand to his lips, planting a gentle kiss on it and lightly nibbling on the fingers. She was a pretty, fragrant flower in the midst of an ugly, foul-smelling environment. While the arrangement was a done deal, he was still pondering the situation, weighing the pros and cons and divining her motives. Given the sort of clientele that usually frequented the Mermaid, Adriano must have seemed like a godsend - a wealthy, well-dressed, polite man with a definite interest in her was not something she likely saw every day. It made perfect sense that she'd pounce on such an opportunity. One thing that also creeped into his mind was the high probability of catching a social disease from her - a gal working an inn packed with sailors was not likely to be clean. It didn't bother him much. After all, a good healer could fix him up in no time - and her too.

"I'm a patient man, cara mia. Besides, I thought I'd take a little stroll around town, see the sights, that sort of thing. This harbor ain't too enticing a landmark.", he continued, "For starters, how about you bring me that glass of wine?".
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Rum Ginny wrote: Ginny looked up at the sign with distaste written all over her features, and pointed with a dirty fingernail.

"See that, little monster?" she said, looking over her shoulder at a small puppy, who was poking his head out from her leather knapsack and panting as though nothing in the world could possibly be as exciting. "That's resortin' to crudeness and lewdness to sell a product, that is. That's what tells me their beer'll be worthless. Places what don't need sex as to sell a pint, that's what I'd like to see."

The puppy whined in her ear. She eyed the establishment critically, tilting her head to one side. "Looks to me this is the sort of place we'd be wise as to avoid, little monster. All sorts o' rough types might be in there. Brawlin'...carryin' on with women...gettin' sloshed..."

A wave of nostalgia swept over her, perhaps the first signs of an unexpected homesickness. She knew the whole of the Ha'Penny Mermaid without stepping foot inside, for she was sure it would be just like her father's bar - something only halfway solid for flooring, tables scarred and holed from countless injuries as innocent bystanders, the lone drunk at the bar signing a sea chanty in an inebriated falsetto, the familiar, inviting smell of vomit and brine, the improvised seating...

"But...I am...awful hungry," she admitted slowly, rubbing her complaining stomach. "Ain't had nothin' but sea biscuits for a fortnight now...and you look as though you could use some fattenin' up, little monster. You're skinny as a witch eel. But we'll only go in for a flicker."

Feeling justified, she stepped confidently through the rough wooden door.

The pup could not quite answer the girl, though he did let out a pleased bark and even seemed to look over the lewd sign above the tavern door with perhaps an animal like interest in it. Then they were inside and Ginny was met by an ever present aroma of damp rushes and slightly rancid beer, though without actually tasting what the place had to offer, she had no way of truly knowing if it indeed was as bad as it smelled. She was greeted by a song, one that spoke of a sailor and a wooden figurehead and a certain hole he planned to bore through the hard wood. His five companions were shouting and joining him in the song from time to time, making a noise far out of proportion with their small number. Well in their cups they were on a fast lane to stupor. More sailors dotted the bar and these were hardly able to walk in their current state, only the burly and brooding trio dozing in the corner, chairs leaned against the wall.

The final customer was a rather well dressed olive-skinned gentleman who was in the process of kissing the hand of a well endowed waitress as the girl entered. The waitress giggled at Adriano's gesture, her fingers grasping his hand and placing it over her heart for a flicker or two, her bosom soft and warm against his touch. "A gentleman always makes me feel like a young girl. Can you feel my heart beating like mad?" She pressed his hand to her, her heartbeat muffled by an abundant breast, but there. Letting go of the hand, she threw him another wink and nodded. "Your wine is coming right away, sire. Red or white?" She knew just where Bortis held the special stash and by Gods Adriano was going to get some of that. Bortis who was busy spitting on the bar and polishing its rough surface for the umpteenth time that day.
Rum Ginny
Civus

Post by Rum Ginny »

Ginny sighed contentedly as the aroma washed over her like a particularly smelly wave. The bar was busy, she noted. Well, that was hardly any surprise...ever since she'd arrived at the Citadel, it had been jam-packed with more people than she'd ever seen in her life, let alone in one place.

Giggling at the lyrics to the sailor's song, she strolled confidently to the bar; it was not tall, but her chin barely cleared the top of the counter. Her eyes flickered momentarily over to Marinetti and the busty waitress before turning back to the bartender.

"A pint, please," she said to him, speaking loudly over the cacophonous chorus.
Adriano Marinetti
Blackheart hand

"Red.", he shouted to the waitress with a smile. He leaned slightly backwards, fortunately righting himself before he fell. One had to get used to sitting on a barrel, instead of a proper chair. With the corner of his eye, Adriano spotted a grubby, tiny girl enter the dimly lit tavern. She looked about 15 or so, give or take a few years. Her confident strut marked her as someone who had been to places like the Mermaid before, someone capable of dealing with everything that generally went on in places like the Mermaid. As the girl didn't show any particular interest in him, he decided to divert his interest away from her, focusing instead on contemplation of his position.

It was not a bad one. Starting from scratch had it's advantages - one was not burdened by the past and already established ways of doing things. He had a dazzling degree of freedom in this town, and now all he needed to do was determine which path to take. Money he had, but without a steady source of income it would soon run out. He had to act fast to establish himself.

He leaned on the table, propping his head up with his right arm, and hummed as he pondered this strange city and the opportunities it offered. Extortion was risky, as the already established powers in the city - and there had to be at least one gang somewhere - would not take lightly to an outsider usurping their turf.

One thing that appeared to be the most sensible option was smuggling. The Citadel was a few days of sailing away from some major trade nodes, places like Aveas which were packed with goods like tobacco, drugs, and alcohol which were either banned or taxed to death by the government. One could easily make a killing off it, without rustling too many feathers. The only thing that was a problem was method. How to smuggle and get past the harbor authorities?

He sat silently, rubbing his goatee with slow, measured motions and plotting a way to get smuggled goods through into the city. A ship was expensive investment, and he himself knew nothing about navigation. After some thought he was struck by a sudden insight, which was soon weaved by the machinery of his mind into a coherent plan.

Fishermen.

Nobody suspected the small fishing boats, who only sailed a few miles off the coast, of transporting drugs. A proper merchant ship could purchase illegal goods in a foreign port, rendezvous with fishermen under the cover of night and transfer the cargo to them, proceeding to port without a trace of its crimes left in the cargo hold. Meanwhile, the small fishing boats would also return to port, the drugs hidden among the catch. The idea for a perfect front hit him like lightning - fish curing. Setting up a company that produced smoked and salted fish and sold it to shipping companies and regular citizens would be the perfect cover for a smuggling operation. Neither the merchant ship nor the fishermen would have to be purchased by his money - they could simply be contracted with. In exchange for a share of the profits, some unscrupulous sea captain was bound to agree to the scheme, and poor fishermen would be even more open to persuasion.

There was a glint in his eye as he assembled his scheme - the kind of glittering greed that virtually every Mouthie felt when faced with an opportunity to make money.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The burly bartender smirked down at the newly arrived customer, Bortis’ expert eyes determining the girl’s age as too young to be a working girl, but definitely old enough to order a drink at this particular bar. “Comin’ right up, missy. I’ll make it a large one so you don’t have ta order a new one too soon.” He grabbed a mug and out of habit reached down bellow the bar to dunk it in a barrel of watered down beer, mixed with the remains of hard liquors to prevent the customers from complaining it was too weak, but changed his mind and reached for a tap and filled it with the less used good lager. He did cheat a bit, a good quarter of the two-pint mug filled with foam, but it was the kind of stuff a sane person would consider ordering again. “I ‘ave ta say I ‘ave not seen ya afore. What drew such a nice lass ta a place like this?”

The waitress weaved her way amongst the patrons the whack one of the sailors received keeping the hands away from her considerable behind, though given a bit of time and a few more drinks the groping assaults were likely to return. She disappeared in the kitchen and returned with half-filled bottle of fine, the cork only stuck in the neck only half way. She placed the bottle on the table before Adriano, smiling as she spied a glint in his eyes, a decently clean glass joining the bottle, as she leaned upon her arm, her other hand resting on the hip, looking down on the scheming Mouthie.
Rum Ginny
Civus

Post by Rum Ginny »

Ginny stood up on tip-toe to get a look around his work station, nodding absently as he spoke.

“I ‘ave ta say I ‘ave not seen ya afore. What drew such a nice lass ta a place like this?”

"The atmosphere," said Ginny, smiling. She took the large mug in both of her small hands. "Lovely joint you have here, sir. Real top-notch establishment. Why, I bet the business is just unstoppable, prime location such as this."

Sitting down on a nearby barrel, Ginny tapped her forefinger on the side of her nose and dipped it into the mug. The foam began to dissolve, and she peered critically at the level of the drink; she flicked her eyes upward at Bortis, and grinned sneakily.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Ginny's grin was answered by an innocent smile, albeit one that was missing a few teeth, though the ones still in it were remarkably clean for a man of Bortis' status and line of work. He did lean forward and peeked into her mug, commenting off-handedly. "You got quite a pull, missy. Quite a pull there." Then with a smile he took the mug and filled it to the brim, with hardly any foam covering the surface. "The Mermaid may not be a fancy place like Pier or Risque, but there's hardly an evenin' when it is not full. At least used to be so, back in the days it was nyutral territory. There ain't no thug who can keep order as well as Red, and I have not seen her in months." He glanced towards the slumbering trio in the corner and spat on the bar in disgust and then used it as an excuse to clean the wooden surface with a piece of cloth in his hand.
Rum Ginny
Civus

Post by Rum Ginny »

"That right, sir?" said Ginny, taking a swig from the full mug. She wiped the back of her hand across her mouth and sniffed thoughtfully.

Two days ashore without finding work had somewhat dampened her ambitious spirit. The gods hadn't exactly thrown fame and fortune at her feet - no, just a little dog that couldn't do tricks and probably wouldn't be good to eat. She supposed things were tougher in the big city.

Ginny may have been naive, but she knew where ladders began. Looking around the Mermaid once was enough to tell her she'd found the bottom rung, and it was about time she did a little climbing.

"Got no use for those fancy places, not me," she said, winking at Bortis. "You know there's a joint called the Burpin' Dragon? I ask you! Now, Ha'Penny Mermaid, that's a proper name..."

She paused, and sipped her beer.

"If the Mermaid ain't neutral, though...then what is it?"
Adriano Marinetti
Blackheart hand

Adriano was distracted from his scheming thoughts by the arrival of the wine and Daisy's touch on his arm. Having assembled a provisional plan for setting up shop in this strange new town, he was free to devote the rest of the afternoon to more leisurely pursuits: wine, women and possibly song. He decided to leave a tour of the city for tomorrow, feeling too tired from the trip to go around sightseeing. Turning towards Daisy with a smile, he wrapped his arm around her waist and gently pulled her closer.

"Would you like to join me? Ain't too many people around here at the moment, so you might as well fetch another glass and keep me company.", he said with a grin, "I'm sure your boss won't mind."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"Yeah, I know of the Dragon. Ole Bill that runs it is a decent enough fella, if a bit grumpy when sober." Seeing how the business was slow that day, he abandoned wiping the counter, slinging the rag in his hand over his shoulder and leaned on the freshly polished surface. "It's a bit tricky, ya know. The thing with Mermaid. There's a gang war of sorts going on and before it started we had protection from the big boss. But, he is losing the war right now, cause others joined forces and that does not quite make his protection very protective. So, every thug that comes along thinks he or she should be the one that will protect me from others of his kind. And that costs. Again and again. I do miss Red and the way men used to tremble under her gaze." The man's voice was low and he kept glancing towards the slumbering trio in the corner as he spoke.

Adriano pull may have been gentle, but Daisy bumped against his side, nestling her behind in the crook oh his arm, her hips wriggling against his chest. That was enough to draw a few hostile glares from the drunk sailors across the floor, but they did not shift, nor stop their song. The girl glanced towards the bar, where Bortis and a girl carrying a small puppy in her knapsack were chatting and quickly came to a decision. "I like your idea, luv. Just give me a flicker to tell old Bortis I'll be busy for a while." She slipped away sideways, all but making sure the Mouthie's hand slid along her posterior and found her way to a bar. She coughed to draw the bartender's attention and said with a wink. "Mind if I go and get my second cousin settled, Bort? I promise I'll make it up to you. I'll come early and help you clean up tomorrow morning." The man nodded and she blew a kiss and made her way back to Adriano. "Alright, let us go."

OOC: Feel free to reply and I will start a side thread for you in a jiffy.
Rum Ginny
Civus

Post by Rum Ginny »

Rum Ginny nodded while Bortis spoke, scratching the top of the puppy's head thoughtfully.

"That's awful, that is," she said sympathetically. "And your bar being stuck in the middle, tugged this way an' that, extorted upon and such." She scratched her chin, wondering if "extorted" was a word and deciding it didn't matter.

"What you need, sir, is a neetch market. You get a neetch market, and you'll be set. Right as I was comin' here, sir, I was advised on the whereabouts of several other establishments of this nature. You gots to stick out, offer somethin' those other joints can't - and then the money'll flow in like so much floodwater, an' you can pay for some real protection."

She sipped her beer, watching Bortis' reaction over the rim of the mug.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Extorted was indeed the correct way, though Bortis would probably used another, and said he was being fucked from all sides and that they were not being gentle about it. "A what market?" The question was out before the rest of Ginny's words registered, the burly bartender furrowing his brows and humming in deep thought. "Ah, I see yer point, but that still don't help me much. I don't have anything unique to sell. And even if I had money, how can I be sure they won't simply ask for more, cause I am doing better? It ain't that easy." Slapping the rag across the counter, Bortis sighed and leaned forward, his chin resting upon knuckles of his hand, elbow planted on the counter.
Rum Ginny
Civus

Post by Rum Ginny »

Ginny's hopes rose and fell as swiftly as the tide during a storm. She chewed on her bottom lip, thinking quickly.

"But if you did have something...unique," she said slowly, raising an eyebrow, "couldn't you get someone new, to do what your Red used to do? Someone to make certain no one bothered you no more?"
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Bortis was simply too depressed to think properly, his mind driven by simple thoughts and concepts and unable to notice the subtle hints Ginny threw his way. He was thinking about what she was saying, but did not see past the obvious just yet, nor was he trying very hard. "If I had something unique, then I could make more money and that would make me a better target. On the other hand, by having more money I could hire someone to protect me from those who wanted my money, and after a while the money I paid them would pay itself back. Only problems I see is that finding someone like Red would be hard, cause not many people I could hire have the necessary backing to keep the thugs in check. Worth a shot anyhow." Then he sighed and lowered his head despondently. "What use is such thinking though? I don't have anything unique to sell."
Rum Ginny
Civus

Post by Rum Ginny »

"You've got me!"

She'd blurted the words out before she could stop herself, and winced - perhaps she'd said that a bit louder than she'd meant to.

"What I mean is," she said, more quietly this time, "is that I've got a sort of talent, sir. A gift, if you will." She looked surreptitiously left and right, as if imparting a great secret, and leaned in closer. "I can do quite marvelous things with liquor, if you'll forgive the boast, sir. 'Spose it's the inventive side o' me. Always had a bit of a knack for makin' things...things no one else's got. Things folks'll want. Everybody needs a bit of a lift every now and then, times bein' hard as they are."

Reddening slightly, she continued. "And I ain't found no one who'll give me the time of day in this city. You're the first one what's had a kind word for me, so I'd like to help you, if I could."

Biting her lower lip in the fine tradition of adorable ragamuffins, Ginny looked pleadingly at Bortis.

"What'dya say, sir? Come on, give us a chance."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Bortis nearly jumped back at Ginny's words, looking at her with a surprised expression on his face. A flicker later the expression turned to one of suspicion, the man's head tilted sideways a bit as he listened to the girl's idea. He did not look convinced in the least till the point where she mentioned his kindness, the fat bartender blushing slightly, and averting his eyes. "I was just bored is all. Did not meant to be nice.... I mean..... Oh, fuck it." He looked at the girl and lifted the board that covered the passage into the bar area. "Just show me what you mean and I'll think about it. This ain't a classy joint where people come to drink fancy drinks. But, if you can make those bastards drink more before passing out, you are hired."
Rum Ginny
Civus

Post by Rum Ginny »

Delight spread like wildfire across Ginny's face.

"Sir! You mean it, sir?"

Without waiting another moment (in case Bortis did not, in fact, mean it) she slipped behind the bar and started poking around.

"There's this trick to it," she said cheerfully, lifting bottles out of crates and inspecting them with a critical eye. "Creepers, I call 'em. They creep up on you - the drinks, that is. Before you knows it, you've had seven of 'em when all it would've taken is three, and you don't notice yourself gettin' drunk until it's too late..."

She uncorked a bottle of rum with her teeth, sniffed, and made a face. "It's all in how you mix 'em, sir. Ratios, that's the word. I'm not talking anything fancy. But for some reason I've yet to figger out, folks'll pay more for less liquor if you present the thing right."

Armed with an armful of booze bottles, Ginny emerged from under the bar, and laid everything out on the counter along with a passably clean shot glass. She stood back, inspecting them with one eye closed, as though doing math in her head.

When she finally moved, she did so with practiced confidence, pouring out carefully measured amounts of certain liquors into the glass, with the different colours and hues of the liquids stacking upon one another.

"This is called a Viper Bite," she said, passing the glass to Bortis. "Smaller n' a Snake Bite but twice as powerful. Give it a go."

Return to “Outer Ring Archive”