Bardic College Chyril 25, MT

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Matiel Escariot
Civus
Location: In a place surrounded by farms I my family does not own.

Bardic College Chyril 25, MT

Post by Matiel Escariot »

Fryday, Chyril 25th, 1225 AD Early Morningtide
Escariot Residence

He didn't sleep again last night, working on something he thought was useful. In front of him a candle was slowly dying out as it's wax diminished to a stump. before it was a pile of papers with scribble, drawings, and numbers doodled all over it. He'd been scribing for a year now yet his skill wasn't as good as it should be. He sighed as he tried to decipher what he set on paper, while an open book was in his other hand. His notes were a pain to read. His teachers at the college said he had talent, but they all dreaded having to read his writing because of the chicken scratches he had for letters. The young man sighed.

Matiel pushed himself away from his desk and blew on the candle. He could already feel the icy morning air seeping through his shuttered window, small shards of light passing through the slits. A shrill twinkling of birds twittering from outside was filling his head with sounds marking the early day's time. Matiel stepped to the window and opened the shutters. From his home's second floor he had enough of a view to let him see most of the rising day. Below him the streets of Trade Avenue were still empty save for the enterprising few on their way to work. Sea air sent a blasting chill to his face and made him frown, his thoughts on King's Court's past experiences. It wasn't much of a surprise to him that an Orcish invasion would be repelled. Whatever it was that happened to this place there would always be something in response. Quick and valiant defense was the predictable outcome. His entire household was in panic to assure their collective survival, his brothers in haste to come home and carry most of their belongings off if ever the city fell, but no. Matiel knew the city wouldn't fall. It needed something much, much more fundamental to fell a city, a people.

Already he heard the servants shuffling outside his door. Soon a knock would come enquiring if he was awake, the usual start to a routinely planned day: Go to school, Go to Notwen, Go to Market, Go to Store, Talk to Grandfather, Talk to Father, Talk to Mother, Talk to Sisters, and sleep. Somewhere in between them he would slip in meals and some personal errands.

He drew away from his window's edge to let the rising sun slowly creep in. He walked to his dresser and pushed his face an inch away from his mirror. He regarded the lines beneath his eyes and the deathly paleness of his skin. With his wavy hair and soft eyes he really did look like a girl. He was thankful his facial hair grew thick early on in his age. He was tired of being the woman among his friends. The sensitive poet that captured women's hearts. If only that were true.

He closed his eyes and willed his face to what he wanted it to look like. Another day to live a lie was here and he needed to play his part well. When he opened his eyes a smiling, cheery face greeted him in the mirror. He almost puked as he held his face like that, looking at it without love.

"How many more years must I spend here?" he asked himself. He wanted to leave this place behind and find somewhere else to live, somewhere else to carve out his name, but no. He knew that where ever he went it would always be the same. If anything the place he wanted was a place that he needed to make for himself. He looked down at his soft hands and felt the weakness in them. He clenched his teeth and cursed. These hands would shape the world someday, with just his bare hands the world will see him and know what he wanted to say.

He pulled away from the mirror and walked to his door to open it into the rest of the house. Outside the family's two maids and butler weren't so surprised to see him this early. They've grown used to his times and had adapted accordingly. Already a steaming hot breakfast was waiting for him in the kitchen. They knew he preferred to eat apart from his family and leave home earlier than them. He was always about on business and they were good natured enough not to hinder him in his efforts.

Matiel made sure he smiled at the servants and was hearty in eating his breakfast. The hot meal easily lightening up his weary mood. He'd already spent two nights without sleep and the effects were catching up on him. Soon coffee wouldn't be so useful. He knew he needed to sleep and was thankful tomorrow was his day off both from work and the college.

He quickened his pace to bathe and dress himself accordingly. He packed his papers and books securely in his satchel and went out with a cheery goodbye to the family servants. Outside the bustle was slowly picking up and the familiar was waking up. Soon these streets would be filled with men walking in quickened paces with worried or angry faces. Someone always owed someone around here. Matiel was careful enough to stay away from that sort of business. His grandfather was a great teacher when it came to money and Matiel always listened when the old man talked.

Right now he walked, preferring his legs to the horse drawn carriage owned by his family. Using it always meant using it with the family. He did his best to avoid that, seeing little use in talking to them at any time in the day. He needed to finish his work here and finish it soon. He had no time for pleasantries.

Morntingtide
Bardic College

The recently rebuilt Bardic College in King's Court was a marvel of elegance. A large amount of currency had been dropped into it's funding. A gift of beauty and culture given by King Balthasar I to his citizens. Built of a rustique auburn brick shipped from Dort and with decorative doorways carved from fine timber of the outlaying lands of T'aquar. It was a feat and a half just to acquire such material considering the state of current diplomacy. Large tethered vines covered lattice work sidings in many spots granting a more visually appeasing aspect from the stone.

The main entry had various intricate symbols that the unpracticed eye could not make out, nearly runic in nature. Wards? Blessings? It would take a skilled student perhaps a master of history or magic to decipher them all as they covered the entire surface of the double doors. Above the doorway hung an illustrious sign that proclaimed this place "The Bardic College". Beneath that an inscription of an olden language that bolstered "To achieve excellence in the contemporary performing arts". Next to the this were two large flowing banners with exquisite pictures depicting song, dance, and other arts. Many related to actual historical events of the Kingdom.

One could enter freely into these doors as a guest, student, or one seeking knowledge from this institution. The current headmaster of the college is Skuttles.

Inside was found a large reception area. Obviously it had been set up for a high volume of new entries as there were many chairs, a quiet lounging area filled with serene shrubbery, along with a small buffet for those waiting. Many tapestries were hung about the room, depicting times of heroism, legendary history, and a few religious passages from the church of Dominicus.

A middle aged halfing was seated at a large oaken desk that dwarfed him, as he could just barely see over the table top. Dressed in very proper attire he was found to be scribbling notes on aged papyrus. When approached he stuffed his notes of work quickly into a drawer and looked up with a polite smile.

"Morganior HillBorn at your service! Most call me Morgan for short. How may I help you this fine day?" he inquired with a bit of jovialty that played across his azure eyes.

Matiel walked up to the familiar halfling with ease. There already many around him walking to and fro the college. Some came in in wealthy carriages drawn by sleek and shining horses. Most of the students here, Matiel noticed, were among the gentry and well off. Besides, who exactly had the time to formally teach themselves the pettiness of art but these landed cretins.

Matiel was careful to instill a jolly cheer in his voice as he greeted the gnome with a smile, "Hello Morgan. How's the start of your day today? Well I hope."
Last edited by Matiel Escariot on Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

Morganior peered upwards at Matiel and took a few flickers to recognise the new arrival.

“Oh, good morningtide,” the halfling mumbled, his hands scurrying rapidly amongst the various concealed pockets that appeared to lie within his coat. “ With a shake of his head, he pulled open a large drawer and rummaged about for a few moments, extricating several objects which he threw on the desk: a half-eaten apple, a disturbingly green handkerchief and a rope with a large knot tied into it. Finally, with a loud sigh, the distracted halfling put his head in hands.

“Oh dear me, it has vanished. Where did I put it? She’ll shout at me, or worse. Probably cut my ears off.” After a few shakes of his head, the middle-aged halfling gazed mournfully upwards at Matiel. ”I don’t suppose you have seen it?”
Matiel Escariot
Civus

Matiel was used to the halfling's demeanor. Something like this wasn't surprising to him, almost expected even. The sudden amount of trash that entered his view didn't bother him at all. He kept his smile and tried his best to hide his fatigue away behind the coffee he took in earlier.

Matiel stepped closer and listened to the gnome speak. He sighed.

"Well that depends Morgan," he replied to him, "What is it did you lose again this time?"

He wonder who he was the she he mentioned though. He had spent merely a year here in the Bardic college and half of that has been spent as a part time student. In truth he would've spent his treasure time somewhere else, most definitely in his Grandfather's home where the old man could be teaching him the finer points of handling money and keeping books strict and straight. He didn't really know much about the people that administered to the school. Of course, he took a little note in his head that he'll have to soon know who those people were. Apart from his teachers, knowing who paid them and pushed them around was useful. At least, useful enough to keep Matiel out of trouble. The young man had no plans here, no plans at all. Doing anything near drastic was social suicide, something Matiel meant to avoid at all costs.

Matiel gave the gnome an amiable look and offered to help, "I believe I still have some time before I meet with my teachers. I'll help you, of course you'll have to tell me what to look for."
Guido Cercatoro

The anxious halfling returned Matiel’s query with a mournful look. “Lady Samala gave me a small box to take care of. Why she handed it to me I do not know, for she knows that I am forever losing things. And I have lost it. It is simply nowhere to be found.”

Although Mateil did not personally know Lady Angelique Samala, for she was a primarily a student of painting, the woman had a fearsome reputation throughout the college. She was a tall, elegant and haughty young noblewoman with golden, blond hair. She often had an almost regal bearing, holding her nose high in the air as if commoners were too distasteful for her to have the misfortune to smell. It was well known that her studies were financed by her doting relative, Baron Terripin, and it was also rumoured that she was “close friends” with a number of other high ranking nobles.

“I was sure that I put it in one of my drawers for safekeeping when the other painting students came to inquire about Master Velasquez’s absence,” continued Morganior, once again ransacking his desk to no avail.
Last edited by Guido Cercatoro on Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matiel Escariot
Civus

Lady Angelique Samala. Matiel had never heard that name before save today. He'd been a student here in the college for quite some time now, true, yet his interaction with society here was minimal at best. However, a few flickers taken to place that unfamiliar name somewhere in his memory finally gave him some insight. He had heard of her before. While in one of his classes some would pass the boring times with gossip and few whispers here and there would mention her name and her reputation. He didn't give much weight to it then, but if what he heard was true, then...

He dropped his bag on his feet and looked away from the gnome for a burn. He pieced his thoughts together, at the same time making sure the morning's bustle took notice of him and his conversation with the gnome. Yes, he was sure. No one was sneaking up on him if ever he was going to say anything drastic. Of course, he didn't like dropping his character, especially to this good natured gnome, but as of now his annoyance was piqued. The little person's incompetence and innocence just didn't sit well with Matiel.

"Do you want to know what I think Morgan?" Matiel's voice, for the first time in months, dropped to an insidious low, "Well, truth is, I don't care if you want to know what I think because I'm going to tell you anyway. Now, before that, I'd like to ask you this. Is this the first time Lady Samala has entrusted something in your keep? Is this the first time you've showed a form of incompetence in that given responsibility? Are you even required to answer to a student's needs to the point that you become a locker? And, when those painting students were asking you about the absent teacher, how far were they from touching your drawers? Ah yes, when you start to think about these question maybe you'll realize a little something about yourself. How many times, exactly, have you ever been deliberately made a fool of Morgan?"

"Now here's the thing, halfling. You were supposed to lose it. Lady Samala, will find out you lost it, and when she does, she probably already knows that she'll be mad at you. You'll receive flaming blame while as for the box, well, why don't you think about those students asking you about the absent teacher? And if the situation is as it is, that means there's no point in looking for the box because the box was meant to be lost and you were meant to gain the blame. Next time something strange comes up, think about it before you actually do anything."

Matiel picked up his bag again and steeled himself for an angry retort. He knew the gnome wouldn't like what he said and the tone he took, but then again no one ever would. There was a reason why Matiel took to his jolly good mask more than the face and voice he really wanted to use. This was that reason.

Matiel stepped closer to the gnome and continued, "If you don't like what I said, keep your voice down if you're going to try and defend yourself. Right now you just took some amount of my time over something with no sliver of hope. If I were you, don't get mad, start crying. Of course, if you really think there's something that could be done over you being made a fool over a prank, tell me now before I walk away. Trust me, if I walk away, I walk away. Just make sure you forget this face of mine tomorrow."

Suddenly, Matiel reverted back to his smiling demeanor and lighthearted voice, "Well then Morg. I guess I should be off then. Good day to you."

With that, Matiel started to walk away to find his teachers. In his head he knew he gave the gnome a distorted view of the situation, but the gnome was just begging for it. Matiel took advantage of it and now he started to add some real pieces together. This he knew. The box was important, the students had something to do with it, it was related to Lady Samala, and of course, all this ties in to some Master Velasquez's absence. The Master was a painter, so was Lady Samala. The box probably had something from her to give to him, and if what Matiel knew about her was correct, it was a "gift" from one of her "close friends". Something like this usually either stank of intrigue or teenage drama. Matiel had no love for either. If anything, he would rather have nothing to do with the Lady Samala. Then again, her reputation did send a chill of interest up Matiel's spine.

The young man was curious what the hell was going on around here. If anything, he'd love to find out, from an arm's reach of course. He had plans and he didn't like having those plans jeopardized by some accident he was suddenly related with.
Guido Cercatoro

The halfling’s bottom lip dropped in astonishment at Matiel’s tirade. “I was meant to lose it,” he murmured in stunned perplexity. “But, surely not….I…but…I…” For a good few flickers, Morganior looked totally taken aback and bemused by the thought that he might be the intended victim of some joke. Indeed, his reactions fitted the role of the absent-minded halfling perfectly. Yet, beneath the halfling’s outward demeanour, Matiel was almost convinced that he saw something more. Was there a slight twinkle in Morganior’s eye as if he was actually enjoying the exchange?

“Oh yes, do enjoy your literature class,” muttered the halfling as Matiel departed. “You may be interested to know that you have a guest tutor today, so I’d advise you to be on your best behaviour.” With that final remark, the halfling began to replace the objects that he taken out back in his drawers, muttering quietly to himself as he did so.

Matiel’s literature class was held in a small, plain teaching room in the east wing of the college. The route lay through a large door in the rear of the entrance hall which opened into a long covered hall that ran the entire length of the rear of the front portion of the college. The east wing contained the student accommodation, refectory and some practice and teaching rooms. It could be reached by walking to the end of the right hand part of the long hall and going through a plain wooden door which led to a small corridor. The teaching room was located at the end of the corridor.

When Matiel arrived, he would find two students talking quietly outside the door. One he recognised as Barton Holden, the son of some minor noble with a small holding in the Downs. Barton was a quiet, studious but rather unimaginative individual. Matiel did not recognise the other, a petite, young dark-haired girl.
Matiel Escariot
Civus

The halfling had a twinkle in his eye. This sent a chill up Matiel's spine once more, telling him that he shouldn't have dropped his voice to an insidious low and berated the gnome for being an easy target. Then again, that twinkle told him more than just a warning. It could have been a number of things which Matiel dwelt on as he walked through the halls among the crowds that were almost same of intent with him. They were all on their way to their teachers, to paint, to sing, to be an artist at the end of the day. Matiel smirked. He was once like them, seeing acceptance and change in his pen and paper, but no, no more. No one gave a fuck about the things he gave a fuck about. All this was just another exercise of passion so easily taken for granted by those who live by swords and die by fire. They, everyone inside this college, was petty child in the eyes of King's Court.

Matiel sighed. He pushed those thoughts away as he walked and set his mind on the halfling once more. He didn't have time for distractions, even in thoughts. Something good, something terribly interesting, something that might prove profitable to him was about to happen. And it all started from that halfling. The sparkle in his eye meant something was supposed to happen, and either he just got himself out of it, or he got dragged into it. either way, he had to know what the hell was going on. First off, he had to work with a few of what the Halfling said, about the names he mentioned, and about that box. Among all these everything either circled around the absent teacher or the reputable lady. Somehow, he had to dip his fingers a little into the cup without anyone noticing him, without anyone associating him with the happening in question, provided of course that something was happening. He'll have to find his answers some place where his face held no value.

His class room was nearing when he was almost done piecing his thoughts together to the pace of his thinking. One last thing he noted about the halfling was about what the he said about his class. He had a substitute teacher for today too. Odd, being that this was the second time an established teacher wasn't here. He would have to observe around the school whenever he had time on his way to classes. He'd have to arrange a trip to the Court Library today and also visit the college archives to read up on his apprenticeship project. He had to insert some bits of probably important snippets somehow. Of course, being able to keep himself at an arm's length away meant he could leave the snippet safe and sound if shit ever got dangerous.

The very first face that greeted him was a familiar one. Barton Holden, as the name would imply a noble title would come to mind. Of course in truth the young man was a minor noble, not that different of status from Matiel's own mercantile background. There was nothing terribly special about him, what was odd though was that there were only three students at this class today. Matiel usually suffered the heat of a cramped class room during literature, being that many nobles so it fit and popular to sashay their time with purple letters. This sudden feeling of looseness was odd to Matiel. It was either he was too early or there was a sudden change of trends in which he isn't aware of. The real oddity however was another unfamiliar face.

The girl was sable haired, petite, and talking to Barton outside the classroom. The last fact was the strangest of all. Barton was a painfully dull being. Seeing him talking to a girl, this naturally, sent a disturbing crawly feeling up Matiel's arms. Did this mean that even Barton was worth more in the eyes of women than him?

"Bloody Nethers," he murmured to himself, "I'm pathetic for just even thinking about it."

Then, considering every thing that just so happened to be out of place today, this offered to him another piece of interest. An exchange student? How fresh, especially a long time after classes have started. He then considered associating the stranger with the thoughts he just had earlier and then he made a guess who she was. If that was so, then that must mean there was something going on with the sudden arrival of a substitute teacher. First, he'd need to confirm that. From his distance he couldn't really distinguish her face, but if ever he approached he had to detach all interest from her. Barton first, then a feinted surprise at the stranger's arrival.

Matiel raised his hand to wave at the two at his approach. His face was relaxed and stretched only to smile at Barton with easy eyes, "Good Tide to you Barton. I just talked to Morg earlier, he says we have a substitute today."

He then realized that Barton and the girl were having a conversation, he made it a point to be embarrassed and nodded his head slightly to apologize, "Forgive me, I didn't realize that I was interrupting."

He then switched his eyes from Barton, whose shoulder he tapped lightly with a hand that stayed there for familiarity's sake, and set them on the stranger. This time he made sure he saw her properly, "My name is Matiel, a student here the same as Barton. Forgive me if I'm interrupting, I truly am sorry, but I have to ask. Are you a new student here? I've never seen you before in literature."

The introduction's were done. Now he had a checklist in mind to do. If his guess was right about the girl then he'd have to drop a few fish hooks here and there during the conversation. If not, then just observational fish hooks. The box Morg lost was still in his mind. He'd have to keep his ears wide and open for the rest of the day to know more.
Last edited by Matiel Escariot on Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guido Cercatoro

“Oh, hello, Matiel,” grunted Barton. From the look on his face, the student did not welcome the interruption of his conversation. Perhaps this was unsurprising, for on close inspection the petite girl with whom he had been talking proved to be a stunningly attractive young woman. She was around Matiel’s age and had pale, delicate features crowned by long lustrous, dark-hair. A pair of twinkling green eyes alighted upon Matiel as she regarded the new arrival with interest.

“This is Miss Durette,” mumbled Barton. “She is taking the class today, as Master Levant is not here.”

“I am pleased to meet you, Matiel,” said the woman, inclining her head in a short bow of acknowledgement. “It appears that some of your tutors have absconded and so my uncle asked me to step in to help.”

“Miss Durette’s uncle is the headmaster,” explained Barton hurriedly, darting a quick warning look towards Matiel. The hawk-faced, puritanical headmaster Skuttles was not the most popular figure amongst the students and his background had been the subject of much speculation. The presence of Miss Durette was the first indication that the headmaster had any familial connections.

“Is literature your favourite subject?” The young girl directed the question at Matiel.
Matiel Escariot
Civus

Dammit.

He did not expect the surprise. The girl was, well, a girl. He did not expect a girl to teach him how to read. He did not expect a girl to teach him how to understand and judge the words of men six feet beneath a field of daisies. A woman would've been fine, a wizened old man even better for the perfect stereotype, but this. This was odd, in some way even special. Now that his guess of who she was got trashed, he'd have to adapt.

He listened well to her words, but he regarded Barton's reactions first. The minor noble was not something he wanted to mess his hands with. Something like this, teenage jealousy and pissing on territories Matiel prided himself of not being a part of. It was something outside of his nature, at least his current one. He used to be like him, albeit weaker and less firm. He'd have to fix that. Besides, something else was coming t his mind too. Levant, Velasquez, all were "absconding" individuals. The girl saying "some" meant that there might be others. The situation circles around a thread Matiel didn't understand as of yet. All he knew right now was that it had something to do with Samala, her box, and the school. Hearing the girl mention her uncle just laid a bit more icing to the cake. He didn't want a taste, but Barton was there for him to do it.

He had it laid out for now, a basic framework to jump off of. He'd have to shift Dureette's attention though, from him to Barton, and then give Barton that little push of ego to make him want to be the hero in this story, for him to do Matiel's dirty work while the merchant son observed, safe. An arm's length away was the rule, Matiel was keen to keep it.

"Ah, yes" Matiel acted flustered and tried to blush a little, at the same time shy away from the girl just one step back, enough to lose her interest, and not too much to make her wonder, "Literature. I gathered the passion from my mother, who loved reading me stories before bed. I'm trying my best as of now to follow it as a student, none of that compares to Barton though."

He flashed Barton a look, and a twitch of an eye, hoping he got the message, "This man saved my life once, well, countless times actually. Once, I remember, being unable to finish an assignment. Barton was there for me all night to finish it. I do hope his kindness continues. Especially now, that it seems our tutors have had a change of heart. I just talked to Morg earlier, he said the painting tutor was gone too. I do hope nothing serious is happening."

Matiel then slackened his houlders to seem tiny beside Barton. He was also careful to erase any burning fervor behind his eyes and tried a pinch of meekness into his voice. He inched a step behind Barton, so that the two would lead the conversation. He'd then just insert a few innocent questions here and there.

Durrette was the headmaster's niece, it would prove profitable to gather much from her. Matiel didn't have much of a reputation nor a standing here in Skuttles's school. His position was ripe for observing unnoticed. Skuttles. He still inwardly chuckled at that name. It sounded too much like a sea cretin for him to take seriously.
Guido Cercatoro

Barton looked considerably taken aback at Matiel’s compliments. In truth, Barton was no more than a competent student who made progress through hard work, rather than any great ability.

“You obviously have hidden talents, Barton,” said the petite girl. “I will be most interested in your contributions to the class.” The young nobleman had the grace to blush a little at yet another compliment but looked gratified at the attention he was getting.

“That’s three masters missing then,” continued Miss Durette, frowning a little. “Velasquez, Levant and Wemmard. Now, if Medinus had been amongst them, I’d have suspected some drinking expedition. I hear that Levant and Medinus were drinking in the Den well into gravetide the other night.” Barton laughed at the mention of the poetry Master, Medinus, who had a well-deserved reputation for excessive alcohol consumption.

“Perhaps Angelique Samala will know where Velasquez is?” After he had blurted out his words, Barton looked slightly embarrassed at his own comments and lowered his eyes to the floor.

“You shouldn’t listen to idle gossip,” retorted Durette somewhat sternly. “I’m sure that their relationship is entirely proper. And there must be some reason for them all to go missing, it surely can’t be coincidence. Have you any ideas, Matiel?”
Matiel Escariot
Civus

Matiel was disgusted. He thought Barton had the backbone to be aggressive. He thought seeing Barton's eyes stare at him for interrupting his conversation with the new teacher was a sign that the old classmate knew how to pursue women, but no. He wanted to goad the little bitch, to make the student push himself on Durrette and gain most of the attention, but no. The puppy was just a puppy, and an unexpected good blessing that went his way only served to disarm him, not make him bolder. Now Durrette was once more asking something of him, which might mean Durrette knew what he was trying to do. Matiel pushed that thought away. Who was he to garner such attention? He was a merchant son, his name had no reputation, even here. Yes, his brothers had their names, and so did his family, but he was the book worm, the worm, in the family. The spoiled pencil pusher without a vein of adventure in his soul. If anything, being known of must mean the thread might include his family. If this was so, Matiel made sure he kept the possibility in his mind as he listened to the two continue.

Barton was a real puppy, even in the way he blushed. The little bitch wasn't worth making the hero here. He'd have to find someone else. But for now, he'd have to deal with Durrette. That is, until he finds more adventurous soul.

When the conversation touched on the spirits loving masters, Matiel had a feeling where it would eventually lead. He was careful to remember the names thrown his way. These were people he'd have to know about even more. When the conversation mentioned Samala, Matiel knew he had something going on right in front of him. Somehow he had a feeling it all revolved around the box Lady Samala gave to Morg.Seeing the glint in Morg's eye earlier sent another chill up his spine. Now, all of the sudden, Matiel felt paranoia bearing down on him, a suffocating fog of wispy eeriness.

"Angelique Samala?" Matiel looked up and sighed, "I beg all your pardons but I know so little of the situation here. And yes if Baron is implying a relationship between a student and teacher I'm sure all that is proper. Although, it would do me well if any of you actually told me who this lady Samala is. Yes, I've heard quite a bit from idle gossip, but all of which is in passing. I've only been hear a year, and I'm not even a full student. My other errands keep me away from the academe quite often."

He was careful not to mention Durrette's uncle, neither was he willing to share what he knew of the Lady, even if what he knew was gossip. Here and now he just wanted to confirm all that he heard, up front, from the lips of the headmaster's niece and a hardworking student. Gossip is gossip yes, but history had a tendency to be all about gossip to. If anything rumors and gossip was a base, something he could start with. When Durrette's words went his way concerning any ideas, this pinched another choice at Matiel. He knew about a box.

But, what he knew about the box, Samala's Box, was not something he was sure of yet. Now he had a choice, tell them about the box, or not. If he told them, that puts him closer into the pit. But, if he didn't, he'd have nothing to do with it. However, there were other choices to. Matiel was still curious. Now that so much more unfolded before him, he had a mind to look for that box, find out what it was. It may not neccesarily tie everyone together, but it was something of certainty about Samala and Velasquez. The only problem, if he went out of his way to find that box, he was really now a part of the pit.

"Forgive me, teacher, but I have no idea at," Matiel started with a defeated face, "But then again if we ask around in idle conversation with various people we might be able to find something. Like, just earlier, I was talking to Morg and he told me he lost a box that Angelique Samala gave to him for safekeeping. Oddly enough, the conversation also steered towards Master Velasquez's absence, with his students looking for him.
Guido Cercatoro

“Lady Samala is a relative of Lord Terripn,” explained Barton grudgingly. “He is one of the most powerful nobles in the Kingdom, as you no doubt know. She is his favourite niece and he overindulges her somewhat. She thinks herself above the rest of us poor students and has a suite of room of her own within the college. Apparently, she has some talent as a painter which may explain why Velasquez spends so much time with her.”

“She is also very beautiful,” said Durette ruefully. “Many students and members of the nobility are smitten with her. Indeed, I have heard that she was seen dining with the Baron of Brie the other day at Hugo’s. And even my uncle has a soft spot for her, I believe.”

“It is very strange that Lady Samala should give Morganior a box for safekeeping for he is undoubtedly the most forgetful person in college.” Durette laughed with affection as she mentioned the name of the absent-minded halfling.

“Some of the students tease him by stealing his stuff,” admitted Barton. “Syden and Corwen, for example. I bet they’ve taken the box.” The student appeared almost excited to be able to pin the blame on two of his fellow students.

Durette frowned and admonished Barton. “You must be careful not to throw around accusations without proof. Still, perhaps we should find out about this box. It is strange that it has vanished at the same time as the masters. Perhaps you two could assist me in this, for your fellow students are more likely to confide in you than me I suspect.”

A few students had now arrived for the lesson and had congregated a few paces away from the group by the door.
Matiel Escariot
Civus

"Forgive me, I," Matiel touched his eyes upon the floor, trying to shy away from Madame Durette, "Forgive me but I have other errands to attend to. No, I would deem it such an honor to assist in any way, but I just don't see the point in following something like this amidst the fact that there are other things to me than this school. I mean, why follow something like this Madame? Why is it so important? For all we know they could have been just conniving for drink or women on some unknown place. One last hurrah before the curse of the aging academe takes them."

Matiel had feeling why it was so important. Durette was new here. She was the niece of the headmaster. A few teachers have gone missing and all of the sudden she takes on one of their classes and doesn't hesitate to ask of the students for help, discreet help. What exactly is going on, and what does it have to do with Barton and him? The question stayed in his mind, giving away his paranoia to himself, making him more worried inside.

No, wait, it was only by coincidence that Matiel happened on the teacher, nothing more. If there was something more, it had nothing to do with him, and he was sure there was something more. Matiel now only needed to know, if this "something more" was something that could be of profit to him, and he knew perfectly how to do it. He glanced to his side and saw Barton. Inside he smiled.

"But I am sure, despite any grievances, Barton would come and save the day once more. If Barton does this, I'll help with whatever I can, but I promise nothing."
Guido Cercatoro

Matiel’s suggestion that Barton should take the lead in investigating the missing masters and box left the young student looking uncomfortable once more. Still, he could not resist the temptation to offer to assist Miss Durette and so, after a few flickers hesitation, he nodded his head.

“I will see what I can do,” he said, glancing uneasily at Matiel. “Perhaps we can discuss this later, Matiel.”

“That’s settled then,” said the substitute teacher. Without waiting for any further discussion she opened the door to the teaching room and beckoned the waiting students inside.

The teaching room was a plain, bare room used for many different types of classes at the college. A dozen chairs were arranged in a circle to facilitate discussion and Miss Durette sat down in one chair. Apart from Barton and Matiel, some half a dozen other students attended the class: Syden, a well-built ginger haired lad with a friendly face covered in freckles; the saggy faced and ill-mannered Emily Catchpole; Torten, a tall thin youth who perpetually complained about a lack of money to finance his studies and three other rather non-descript students, Felgar, Damien and Annette all of whom were relatively recent arrivals at the college.

“I will be substituting for Master Levant today,” began Miss Durette once the students were all seated. She offered no further explanation but sat back in her chair gazing intently at each of the students in turn.

“Today we will have a discussion on the role of religion in modern literature. The question I would like to debate is to what extent literature should seek to extol the One God, Domincus. Should praise for the one be a central element of all literature? Or, should it be merely incidental… a theme that the writer can pick and choose from as he or she wishes?”

“Who would like to begin the discussion?” All was silent in the room. Even the normally talkative Syden cast his eyes down to the ground.
Matiel Escariot
Civus

Matiel walked to the back of the room and took his usual seat, behind everyone. It was just enough for him not to be bothered by heads obstructing the view, or by too much attention. He took this class because he knew he'd need it in his blood when he was young. He wanted to learn the craft of the masters and maybe one day be one of them. Now, not so much. For some reason, the Masters always came too short in these classes. They were always, confined to a cell that allows them no breath nor the touch of cool air. Matiel was all for ideas now, and sitting at the back permitted him to doze off when some ideas came up that he didn't particularly find interesting. It was also easy for hiding his distaste for certain ideas that didn't bode well for him. Most of which includes the menu of materials taken from the nobility who wrote with purple pens both poem and prose. Matiel particularly disliked the poem. It allowed too much extravagance and beauty, not enough of dirt and thought. Feeling was such a waste if tears were cried out of nothing.

Matiel was careful not to let that part of him come out to early in front of this teacher. first impressions were always integral to a meeting. Keeping a jolly or depressed mood usually singled one out. Matiel wasn't for that. He didn't want his teachers to think that he was the uppity achiever, nor the suffering artist. Matiel just wanted to prove, even when he was young and good, that he was normal and being normal was also beautiful, not dull and gray. These men felt too much of the world on their shoulders for their own good. Even the women were no better. They were all alike. The image beyond the frames of a canvass were always ignored, even when the canvass had nothing on it. Durette just proved how right he was. A discussion on Dominicus, the God Emperor of the west, showed how meek and narrow the mind of the artist thought. If so, there were an infinity of artists in the world. Each one so unrelenting to realize that there exists others like and unlike himself. So the artist dies, along with his money, and no one gives a fuck.

The question gave him an itch to answer though, to ask his own questions, to ask why that question was even asked, why the idea of it was given without grounds or precedence, but no. That would have to wait. Matiel had no habit of voicing his thoughts, unlike Torten of course. The tall man would stand out but his voice would drown him. He complains, cries of his grievances at every chance he could get. When will the fool learn? The rich step on the poor. The poor step on themselves. That has always been the modus of the West. Those without gold were crabs in a basket. Crabs that can never escape lest the trapper takes one and eats it. Voicing his grievance will never change anything. Because, sincerely, who will listen to him? Who gives a fuck about a student without money for a craft only gold and ink can support? The noblesse would be fond of him of course, but that is nothing. All he would ever be able to offer would be a window through which the king can see his cattle and laugh or boast of how juicy and rich his beef will be when cooked. Once more the window's frame is set and all else beyond it is lost.

Matiel was thankful he wasn't a part of that. He was even quite arrogant about it, but only to himself of course. His closest companions already know him as the good natured story teller. A snide man who lifts his nose from the stench of peasantry suddenly replacing that image would be a social suicide. Who would want to commune with an evil man? Matiel was not prepared to be that evil man just yet. However, within the depths of his being, he could feel guilt and anger over that station. He would never forget having met his Grandfather in such a state as those that disgust his nose. He would never fool himself into thinking his Father's escapades were adventures of a daring man as he did when he was young. His father was a bandit, unsettled with the conditions he was given, a scythe and rags, and chose to spit at it and reject it. He risked blood and neck for the life Matiel had now. For that, Matiel knew he was with the shit more than the gold. Yet, these people remained to be unlike his father, a criminal tamed by law into a merchant. There was something his father had that these people didn't. Yet, his Grandfather proved that untrue. They were the same.

Father and Grandfather just knew something the others didn't. Matiel would find it and use it for himself. He was done being the dot inside a much bigger dot. Rather than be smothered and eaten by the bigger dot, Matiel would wait, in his chair, for another student to take the first question while he piece in his mind the past lessons he had with Levant concerning Religion and Literature. Hopefully, the large smear on the parchment wouldn't notice a little dot slowly dripping away from the center. Thats the only way that little dot could burn the parchment and laugh at the smear while it melts.

OOC:
Sorry for such a lengthy period of no posts. I had a busy number of months recently but I'll be back now since things have settled.
Guido Cercatoro

The students appeared unusually reticent in putting forwards their views in response to the woman's question. Perhaps it was the presence of a new teacher whom they did not know? Or, perhaps it was the sensitivity of the subject, for the headmaster was known to be a dogmatic Oneist.

Surprisingly, it was the unimaginative Barton who spoke first.

"Well, the One is everywhere. He is in all things," the youth began hesitatingly. "So, it is impossible for the One God not to be a part of any great work. We are all his servants and so we should acknowledge his presence and extol his name in our writings." Whether Barton really believed this, or was saying what he thought Miss Durette would wish to hear, was unclear.

"Interesting," murmured Durette. "And what about the rest of you? Do you all agree? How about you Matiel? Is this the view that you take?" All eyes swivelled towards Matiel.
Matiel Escariot
Civus

"Yes, Madame Durette. I do. Dominicus is so often taken for granted in these days of changing times. More and more people are growing not only soft but sometimes even blasphemous as foreigners of both ideology and race arrive to dwell in our Kingdom. The west has always been a domain of Dominicus, and people are forgetting that. The allure of profit and new ideas seem much more appealing than the stereotype of a rigid church and God. It seems that after our defeat at the hands of the pagans and merchants, our people have begun to lose their faith and now only see the unfortunate side of the church and not the good side.," Matiel was careful not only to place weight beneath his words but also conformity. He was not a religious man and to be thought as such was more damning than it was a blessing. He continued, "Literature is one of the few mediums we have that not only teaches but also entertains, keeps people listening. I believe literature that dwells on Dominicus would be helpful in keeping the faithful, faithful. I also think the west has seen and read enough of the sorrows and the languish of suffering men of letters. A little joyful worship and discussion on the metaphysical should offer something different to the table."

Matiel felt knives cutting into his innards and twisting them around for every word he spoke. Of course he didn't believe in it. He didn't even believe the question was substantial or important, why would the answer be any different? Literature was not just a vehicle of worship. It is an identity and proof of the intelligence of the men who made it. It is a craft inspired by image and event neatly placed in specific contexts. That was how it was to be judged. "Religion or no religion" had no argument upon the matter. All things, even heresy, was literature. Even the documents of a village taxman, or the annals of a track of legacy; all these were literature. Propaganda or not if it is done with the mind it is literature. To place it within a box was not a mistake, just a sad limitation unless that limitation was literary deliberateness.

Yet, Matiel knew he shouldn't brush it off as ignorance or stupidity. Maybe, Durette was truly here to teach, not to preach. Maybe, the question wasn't a matter of splitting the class into conservatives and liberals, but an actual questioning of culture and utility, a question whether culture was even worth questioning or not. The Headmaster was a known dog of dogma. Yet, Matiel did not want to lose the opportunity to learn if there really was an opportunity to learn.

"Yet, I have this to ask," Matiel began to end his speech, "As much as I could recall Master Levant never actually talked about The Father and Literature within the same relations. Yes, maybe in the context of who we are thus the words we produce, that may have been mentioned. But, never has he stated Religion as synonymous to Art. Is there something about the Church of the One and who we are as Men of the west that needs to be known? Is there something about our materials now that is lacking, or is somewhat monotonous, and faith has been placed relative to it as a point of question for either cause or effect?"

Matiel was prepared enough to keep his faithlessness veiled and almost ridiculous to even assume. Dominicus was God here. To fight a God as a man against an entire nation wasn't the smartest thing to do lest there be some unholy joke of reality supporting you. Blasphemy was for amateurs. Shifts in power was Matiel's game to play.
Last edited by Matiel Escariot on Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guido Cercatoro

Durette looked aghast as Matiel mentioned “….defeat at the hands of the pagans..,”

“The One is never defeated,” she said stridently. “We cannot always fathom his ways. It is our imperfection that is this issue.”

“Still,” she continued grudgingly, “you do make some good points. It is our duty to use our skills in writing to extol our God in these difficult times when some question their faith. Yet, literature is different from preaching and on should not confuse the two. The latter is concerned with the direct appreciation of the One; the former can illuminate his ways in a more indirect fashion. Perhaps, even as entertainment as you suggest.”

“Let us take an example. Suppose that you were to write a short piece about the exploits of a certain….let me see…aaah yes, say a sculptor. Let us say that this man is an excellent artist, yet his faith has wavered and he does not always reflect the glory of Dominicus in his work. I would like you all to write a short piece of prose indicating how you might combine the love of your God with an entertaining story that would capture the reader’s imagination.” She pointed to a small table on which were a number of pieces of parchment and writing implements for the students to use.

The room was quiet. All the students knew that Durette was obliquely referring to Morganior Hillborn. Most of the students reluctantly fetched their materials and began writing.
Matiel Escariot
Civus

Matiel gave Durette a chance. Durette just blew that chance away. She had nothing to teach...nothing at all.

Matiel kept his eyes wide open and interested. He did his best to fight back the frown that screamed for freedom, as disgust crawled up his legs and bit in to his neck. Matiel had dealt with Durette's kind in similar fashion before; keep your face and body interested, keep your insides occupied. It won't do him any good to get hanged for a reason as stupid and primitive as non-conformity. Yet, it was so hard to adhere to. Especially if the voice of authority so blatantly introduces that stupidity right in front of him. Not a medium for preaching she says, yet the points that follow still scream out propaganda in every syllable.

Matiel was used to it though. That familiarity helped him keep his stature of indifference and moderate faith. He had seen such methods in use before. Yet, never before had he ever noticed such irreverent acts taint the sanctity of intelligent thought and it's exercise. Even here, in this college where a scholar was to make his home in the pursuit of learning, the long hand of faith seeped in and began its infestation. Yet, was it even a home of learning at all?

Matiel gathered all the pieces together in his mind and added them together. Five masters of the arts have vanished. One has been replaced by miss Durette, a close relative of Skuttles the Dog of Dominicus. Each of those Masters have been known to be on the wrong side of ideology. And now another has been alluded to. Were these people...investigating their own people and replacing them with more acceptable mediums of the word?

Matiel was asking himself over and over again. Was he getting himself inches closer into a world he did not want to even touch? He was right to have Barton do the forward work. Something was going on, and it has been going on even before the College was built. Matiel finally had a creeping feeling, that every stone in these halls, was a lie made to protect a kingdom and it's God. This was what he had sworn to kill.

Matiel smoothed off his desk and approached the front to retrieve his materials. As he walked he was confident to assure the good teacher, "Ma'am Durette, I apologize if my words seemed too ill chosen. What I meant was that our men lost, not our God. Yet, I am sure. Had the better of faiths of us had been on that war, we would not have lost."

Matiel took his papers, returned to his desk, and swore beneath his breath. How, by the nether's whores, was he going to write about something he had fervently did not believe in? He stared at the emptiness before him for a minute. He brought out his feather and rubbed his ink into it's moist form. He drowned the tip into the black pool and began with the first thing that came into his mind.

A sculptor who wished his stone to life and made her his wife.

He seriously needed to find out more about Morganior. He also needed to know, who replaced the other missing teachers.
Guido Cercatoro

Durette appeared slightly mollified at Matiel’s hasty explanation. “Your confusion shows the importance of choosing the correct words. This is particularly important for literature as once the words are written down they may not be taken back, unlike words used in speech which are ephemeral, temporary things that float in the air before vanishing.”

The young woman levered herself up in her seat and made her way to the door. “I shall give you all a little time to write your short story. Then, I will hear them.” With that the woman left the room, closing the door behind her.

As soon as she had gone there were a few sighs and grumbles but most of the students began their compositions, Syden leant over and whispered in Matiel's ear. "Looks like she’s got it in for poor old Morganior. The head’s been trying to get rid of him for some time but he’s popular with the students and masters and the best sculptor in the kingdom. Perhaps Skuttles has set this woman on the case.”
Matiel Escariot
Civus

No, Madame, you do not know what literature is even if it stabs you in the face, Matiel thought as he walked away from Durette with his alloted parchment.

"Perhaps Skuttles should get a name that doesn't remind us of seafood," Matiel murmured in reply, "Seriously though, what is going on? I've been here only for a year, and my classes are of meager schedules only. Why is it that all of a sudden we have a political drama unfolding before us? Yes, I worry for our school's prized scholars and masters too, but I can't help but feel that this has nothing to do with me. Yet, I am intrigued."

Matiel kept his hands and eyes on his parchment and the words that inked out of his quill. He was careful to keep his writing neat and readable, yet the effort was a struggle. He found it hard to find a flow, a rhythm, in his words for his pen was slower than his mind. He would have to reread this after he was done and write it again. His conversation with Syden had no help to offer. It just gave him more distractions from the attention the craft required.

He could care less of course. He always cared less anyway. Yet, here, there was power as a currency flowing from one hand to the other. There was a method he did not yet understand and much could be gained from it. So he had to make a choice. Was he going to alter his work according to what must be written over what he wanted to right? Or was he to give art it's own worthiness and inspiration?

Of course, it was always obvious to him. Words were there for a reason. If the reason was not the writers own, those words were useless. Here, he had to make sure that what he wrote was beneficial. The question is, what was he going to write? The tale of a sculptor who wished his work to life and married her? Or...no. Every idea he had in his mind were for a different folk, not Durette. At least not now. He'd have to give her what she wanted, not what she needed.

Matiel smiled as his hand slowly eased and the words silkened out. He now knew what to write. A man of no skill nor stature, who finds meaning in the image of Dominicus. He hoped it gave Durette nothing, nothing useful anyway. He did not want to stand in her way, neither did he want to cause a short man's cut.
Guido Cercatoro

Syden shrugged. “Skuttles is a dogmatic Oneist who would like the college to ensure that Domincus is central to all the arts. He would also like, I am sure, to get rid of those masters who don’t share his views. Whether he is behind the disappearance of the masters or not, I have no idea. There may be an innocent explanation.”

“Everything is up in the air with the succession not yet settled and so there is a vacuum into which people like Skuttles seek to gain advantage.”

With some effort. Matiel composed his story, learning something of the art of writing in the process yet hopefully giving nothing for Durette to take offence to.

(OOC: moving to a quick summary now as promised)

Durette returned and the students were asked to read out their stories. The tales were innocuous, trite and superficial in the main as if everyone had been hamstrung by the perceived need to praise the One God. There was little of any worth apart from Syden’s work which contained some clever irony. Durette’s face appeared to suggest that she understood the nature of the work but she said nothing. Matiel’s story was approved with little comment. After a brief discourse of the technical requirements of writing a short piece of prose, the class was dismissed. Most of the students vanished quickly, relieved that the ordeal was over.

As soon as Matiel had left the room, he was approached by Barton. “Have you any ideas as to how we should go about finding out what has happened to the box or the masters?”
Matiel Escariot
Civus

Syden you fool.
Matiel saw Durette's face when she looked over Syden's work. It was already obvious to everyone from the start that this assignment wasn't a measure of skill, it was a measure of person. Durette needed to know how much the students learned from their previous teacher. Syden was just risking it by being smart, but why in hell was he proving his intelligence to Durette? The last thing you'd want from an inquisitor is knowledge that you know how to think.

Matiel stood from his place and calmly gathered his effects together. This didn't take to long being that only pieces of parchment and writing implements ever left his bag. When he began to leave the room, making sure that he was easily lost in the flow that slid out the door, he never gave Durete so much of glance. He kept his eyes as far away as possible.

Then, Barton caught up to him as he walked, and started asking questions. Matiel felt almost sorry for the poor little puppy, but he had no love for doormat stupidity.

"Walk with me Barton, I have classes to attend to. As much as I would love to help, I won't let this project take up most of my time, understood?

Now, before I move on, I want you to understand one thing clearly; I am merely a helper. If you want anything done; you're the one doing it, not me. So are you really prepared for this Barton? I've known you for over a year, and I have yet to see anything quite near the skill needed to survive other than a stubborn drive for work and excellence. I'd applaud you for that, but for this something else is needed.

Teachers have gone and did not return. The results could be dangerous, and you need to be careful. Understand Barton? Could you make me that promise for care? I'll help you yes, but I won't be a part of any tragedy, agreed? Which means you'll need to keep every sliver of wit you have about you when you walk these walls trying to find the box or when you approach the students you have suspected of stealing the box.

First agenda, don't ever approach those students. Don't ever approach anyone, except maybe Morganior, and bring up the topic of a box. As for Syden and Corwen, like I've said, do not ever approach them, but do watch them. Especially Syden, I have a feeling somethings going to happen to him. Follow them, maybe, but do not ever, ever, ever, let your presence be known for them. Just watch them, observe them, commit everything you know and notice about them to memory.

Then, there's Morganior. Go to him, open up a conversation with him, make it trite and casual. The moment you see but a twinge of worry on his face, immediately ask him whats wrong. Ask him if you can help. Insist that you will help. Know everything that you can about that box, how big it is, what wood is used, it's lacquer, it's color, what could possibly be inside, its weight, where he could have lost it, and be sure that you are cheerful and sympathetic when you ask of him.

After which, try to get out of Morganior what Lady Samala could have mentioned about the box. Commit that to memory as well, as distinctly as you can, after which, try to find everything that you can about here and Lord Terripin. No rumors, just facts. You'll need this to find out why the box is so important, and why may have something to do with Velasquez. And when you do see Lady Samala, take careful note of her disposition. This will give you a slight clue as to how she feels about disappearance of her painting master. This will give you a clue as to what kind of a relationship they really have.

Next comes the teachers themselves, try to find something in common among them other than their disappearance. Take note of their daily habits, where they were last seen, when was their last class here in the college, and where they could have possibly vanished. And also try to find out if they have any relations or strong connections here in Kings Court. You'll need that. Debts and feuds would be nice too. Also, try to find out what the general student population and administration feels about them.

This is all I can give you for now. After you have done with this, I want you to write a formal report, two copies, give one to miss Durette and the other to me...if you need more help. If you feel that you no longer need assistance, then report to Madam Durette exclusively, no one else.

However, pay careful attention to Corwen and Syden, understand? You mentioned them. This means you may feel something awry about them. I want you to pursue your gut feelings on this.

And remember, when you write your report, make it as detailed as possible.

And one last thing. Do you believe in the power of Dominicus, Barton? Because, if you want anything done in your life, faith in him is all you need. Now, do you need anything else? I have History to attend to in a matter of minutes."

Matiel snickered inside for the blatant show of faith he displayed. Barton needed a leash to his disposition. Dominicus would be perfect for it.
Guido Cercatoro

Barton’s mouth gaped increasingly wide as he listened to the series of tasks that Matiel listed. Yet, Matiel’s instinct was correct. The boy was unimaginative and needed firm direction. He simply nodded dumbly when his instructor had finished.

“I will try and do as you ask,” he mumbled. “After all it is for the good of the college, the good of Domincus and Miss Durette.” It was clear that the poor student was a little smitten with the new literature instructor. Either that, or he was impressed with her familial connection to Skuttles. Whether Barton really had the skill to effectively undertake the tasks that he had been given was, of course, another matter entirely…..

(OOC: summary now as promised)

When Matiel had finished his conversation with Barton, he would spend the rest of the morning in his History and Literacy classes. The literacy class was uneventful and somewhat tedious, merely involving the copying of various passages of prose to improve one’s basic technique. Matiel’s hand ached at the end of the class but it was mercifully short and he felt that the quality of his letter formation had improved as a consequence of the rather boring exercises.

The history class proved to be more interesting covering the basics of the history of the Western Kingdom. (OOC: you can assume that Matiel learns this) Master Gallard was a lively teacher and promised to obtain access to the Palace library for those students who wished to learn more or consult some original sources.

(OOc: finished now I think, unless there is more you want to do?)
Matiel Escariot
Civus

OOC: Yes this is fine. I would like to finish this though with a slight word with Master Gallard for that said pass and then I'm off to lunch and then to Notwen's, which pretty much means this thread is done. Danomel hasn't replied yet though, so either I'll have to wait or I'll just start another thread or join some other one provided dating doesn't conflict. Thanks so much.

IC:

"Wonderful, and if anything, none of this has anything to do with me. Never, ever, forget that," Matiel never gave Barton the endearment of a glance. His eyes kept forward as he moved quickly through the college halls. His next class was just a few steps away now, and his business with Barton was done. He could feel the other student drifting away from, and he was glad of it. Barton's taste on his disposition wasn't much to be wanted. Matiel didn't like stupidity. And he was hopeful for everyone's sake, that someone as stupid as that was working for Durette. If anything, it didn't mater to him at all if Barton never bothered to send him a copy of his report, that report might even be worth nothing but shit anyway. He was just curious what would happen to Syden after his little stunt. The show off was pushing it. That in itself was another form of stupidity.

The gladness was quick in leaving though. Literacy, here in the Bardic College, was not a slight thing. As soon as he was within the class rooms walls his teacher was quick to point him to his seat. About him were about ten others who felt it needed to take the class. None of them showed any sign of appreciation. Matiel wasn't a stranger to this. He knew he needed this class. He swiftly followed the Master Scribe's gesture and sat himself with his scribing kit brought in haste. He propped his satchel to his side, pulled back the sleeves of his outer vestments, and looked up to see the teacher setting instructions on the black board with chalk. The white trail of the chalk on the pitch black edifice left a stark contrast that wasn't easy on the eyes. It felt gruesome, not only listening to the whine of chalk being rubbed short by the board, but also the mere sight of the black and white joined together in a harmony of sharp opposites.

Matiel rubbed his eyes clear for a while, thankful the screeching writing the teacher made stopped, and went on to work. The job of copying letters was torture to the hands, but Matiel handled it with pride. He loved seeing his letters over and over again on yellowed parchment. He loved the feel of paper and the bleeding of pen into symbol and idea. As much as it was a punishment to his hands, it was a glowing calling to his heart. When the class was done, he smiled at his practice but kept it to himself. He stood from his seat, passed on his work to his teacher, and readied his things for the last class of the day, History. He was hoping to find more classes, but a hypocritical nudge to arts was this schools demeanor. A class on political and ideological theory was out of the question. That last thing this Kingdom needed was a plethora of thinking nobles. Matiel smiled to himself when he thought of it. Such stupidity was actually to his advantage. These men need hammer, a barehanded slap to their faces. Matiel would love to be the one doing th slapping, and eventually the erasures.

If his days were fruitful, the Western Kingdom will no more be a kingdom, the nobles would rot and eventually disappear from the annals of history, and the free man shall reign supreme.

The trip to history class itself was uneventful. Matiel tried to listen for any tidbits of rumors as he passed through a see of unimportant faces. Whatever it was he heard, all that was nothing to him the moment history class started. Here, something interesting actually came out.

For starters, it may have only been an overview of events, but Master Gallard's attitude as both teacher and historian was pleasing to Matiel after the tiring literacy sessions he had earlier and the frustrating bag narrow mindedness Durette spilled out at the start of his school day. He kept his enthusiasm for learning in check though. There were some conjectures Gallard were spilling out that were a bit too schewed to believe. For one, why was Gallard informing them of a prophecy? Such and idea of false kings and a split of in the One Church power strata could encourage dissent and a loss in the Monarchy's influence on the people. And, Matiel doubted some of Gallard's points. He felt that most of those events he narrated needed some backing up and a confirmation of sources. Especially the killings that happened so near his home, Trade Avenue.

As soon as class was over, Matiel waited for everyone to leave before he approached Master Gallard.

"Master Gallard, you have opened up some interesting points. You mind assuring some points to me though? For one thing, I'd like to look up your sources and hopefully avail of that pass you offered earlier in class. This really is an opportunity for me you see. I've been wanting for some time to avail of some books and the events you've narrated earlier have intrigued me."

Return to “KC Archive”