A side solution (Chyril 25th late ET)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

A side solution (Chyril 25th late ET)

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

There was only a little time to spare and after the fight and a little swim and all that stuff that followed, Gavin felt ready to speak to Milkhaire once more. Dressed in a fresh set of clothes and with a good meal and a few beers in his stomach, he felt a bit lightheaded, maybe even slightly tipsy, but that would not prevent him from pushing the whole Storm Lord affair forward. This could very well be the last calm and peaceful day they had, or at least as peaceful as they went when the two of them were concerned, and he was happy they enjoyed it for what it was worth. With a sure step, and humming a little tune to himself, he took the route towards the Highlander camp, moving directly to the nearest sentry he could spot. "Good evening. I need to talk to Milkhaire. Can you see if he is here?"
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

A change of clothes was easy enough, yet Syrawenn was still muttering about her boots making wet, squeaky noises. It was impossible to get the moist out of it in the limited time they had.

The swimfight had certainly gotten her spirits back up. If they could handle the idiocies of nightmares and prophecies, undoubtedly they could manage a real life godlike problem. After all, in real life there were supposed to be some logical rules people had to adhere to, contrary to the dreamrealm where basically anything could happen if you put your mind to it.

Literally. Heh.

Now they had to turn the tables with the limited resources they had. It all felt very familiar, going through the motions against all odds.

And yet she felt good.
Because contrary to other times, she was not alone.

The man next to her walked with such confidence. Her heart missed a beat just looking at him. It was intoxicating, possibly addicting to walk in that cloud of security.

She grinned and shook her head. It was insane. Truly insane.
And that fitted them just fine.

"Evenin." She spoke up after him. "Same message, same goal." The girl nodded at the one in front of them.
[size=75]Gavin:She's the emerald eyed agent of chaos
Vanir:She's cute, it's her personality that gets in the way
Ulder:Syra is a great shredder of paralysis through analysis
Elvin:We call it the Law of Improbable Syrabilities
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

The highlander camp just outside the city gates was mostly idle and quiet. While some of the men and women busied themselves with chores and cooking, and one pair took turns hurling stones from a sling at a wooden target, most just sat around on stones or cross-legged on the ground, whiling the time away. One man had pitched a hammock between two trees, and was snoozing quietly in the sun. Another group in mixed tartans were intent on a game of dice.

The first sentry that Gavin and Syrawenn happened upon was clad in O'Brien colours. He obviously recognised them, answering their request readily enough. "Haven't ye heard? There's a great meeting in the House of Clans, between the count and all the chiefs. Milkhaire's with them." The sentry shrugged his shoulders. "I cannae say when he'll return. They could be sharin' a pint by now, or they could be bickerin' with each other till the break of dawn."
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Gavin had no desire to meddle with the Clan affairs once more and thus did not wish to involve himself in yet another argument in the House of Clans. Sighing, he glanced to where the meeting was supposed to be taking place and nodded to the guard. “I have not heard. We have been busy traveling all over Dort trying to get people to help us face the Storm Lord. I’ll go see if I can find Milkhaire at the Hall. Sorry to bother you.” With a sad smile and a nod, though the previous exercise and the beer in his stomach made it hard for him to be grumpy, the tall warrior glanced at Syra and murmured. “We won’t go in. Don’t want to stir up more trouble than necessary.”

Tightening the straps of his backpack he started walking towards the Hall, intent on getting this bit of business over as quickly as possible, setting up a quick pace, but one the shorter girl at his side could follow without running after him. Again he was in need of a sentry and again he would be nice and polite and not even consider entering the House of Clans and getting involved. “Evening. Could you deliver a message to Milkhaire of MacGregors? Tell him that Syrawenn and Gavin wish to speak of him. We are about to leave in search of a Storm Lord and need to talk to him. Thank you.”
Last edited by Gavin Tylvan on Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

After a couple of marks' reprieve the rain began to fall once again upon Hafne, drenching the young couple as they made their way back in the darkening light through the cobbled streets of the fishing town, to the building which the highland Clans traditionally chose as a meeting place on neutral ground. A strong wind was blowing from the sea, causing the needle-like droplets to blow sideways, lashing at anyone unlucky enough to be caught in the inclement weather.

They found no shortage of sentries outside the House of Clans. Thanks to their traditional warrior culture, the combined armies of the highlands actually outnumbered the Count's Islay Brigade by more than six to one, and it looked as though they were taking no chances with security. This fact was not lost on the Count, who had tried to match their manpower with the local militia. The two groups made quite sorry sight, standing stoically in the rain, eyeing one another warily all the while.

The sentry that Gavin spoke to looked at him dubiously. "Wait here. I'll deliver your message," he informed him, glancing at a couple of his nearby colleagues. They nodded at him, then fixed their gazes upon the young couple with cold but vigilant eyes.

It was then that an an extremely strong gust of wind swept through the ranks of the guards, sending cloaks and kilts a-flying, knocking one or two men off their feet.
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

As the rain started to fall once more, Gavin once more handed the wolf skin over to Syra the heavy fur serving well in protecting him from cold and rain in the months he had spent in the west. He himself tightened the old fur cloak around his shoulders, letting the wind and rain fall upon his hair and face, frowning and trudging forward without a grumble. Weather was weather and complaining about it was not going to help. They had a job to do and a bit of wind and rain was not going to stop them. The soldiers around the House of Clans worried him a bit, so many weapons almost a sure way to trouble, but it seemed they were behaving for now. He wondered if that was how the fight started at the council some months ago, when Amber was separated from him, as he lay recovering from the wounds.

It was not until the gust of wind knocked men down, that Gavin thought of the heavy rain and wind as anything more than another storm. Instinctively, the tall warrior took a step forward and into the wind, trying to keep his balance, hand pressed to the sides to present himself as a smaller target. "I did not expect him to come in force so quickly." He murmured those words and moved to the man that had been knocked off his feet, offering him a hand to get up. As he did so, he looked towards Syrawenn and added. "Seems it'll be more than just draining of the land and common storms. I wonder if it was a warning for us to stay away." Here he grinned broadly. "Seems some people don't know yet threats ain't gonna work. Asking nicely is a much better way."
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Syrawenn took the offered pelt with a half grin. Now that at least part of the dream was out in the open, she felt much more comfortable using it. The man remembered the good parts and approved. It was much more than she could have asked for.

Pulling it tight around her the gust of wind hit them. Instinctively the youngster cringed, making herself as small as she could as it blew past them, straight up against the guards, even knocking them down!

"Flyin netherbats!" She cursed, inwardly thanking the fact that Gavin had definitely broken the airy assault before it could take her with it. "I don't think anyone is in the mood fer askin, eh? Seems like conclusions have been drawn."

It made her muscles contract, knowing they'd have to face yet another convinced being -or whatever this search for the stormlord was going to give them. It was near amazing that Islay had existed for so long with so many contrary forces convinced of their own right. There was absolutely no flexibility or even an opening to look at other possibilities, it seemed, and it was getting bloody tiresome.

Looking up at Gavin she could not help but answer the grin. It seemed that no mere storm was going to knock him out of his mood. It gave a nice and strong foothold in the whole mess they'd landed in.

The girl poked the man. "Ya think we're gonna see Milkey? Or are we gonna go off on our own again?"

When the guard was back on his feet she looked the other way. In many ways guards had proven to be like cats: not only did they need just about nine lives to deal with the insane situations that came upon their path, but they also did not appreciate it if anyone saw them falter. Instead she'd wait until he did the proverbial washing and contented herself with looking at the silhouette of the man who walked this path with her.

Yup. My guy.
Last edited by Syrawenn on Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

OOC: taking some liberties with your characters, hope you don't mind.

"This is foolishness," muttered a sentry nearby and soon, other grumblings of discontent began to make themselves heard all around. Somewhere higher up in the ranks, someone made the decision that if there was guarding to be done then it could be done just as well in the dry as it could in the rain. An uneasy truce was called, and a large contingent of highlanders and brigadiers retreated to the nearby barracks, while the rest trooped into through the heavy wooden doors into the great hall of the House of Clans, ushering Gavin and Syrawenn along with them.

In spite of it's grand name and history, the House of Clans was little more than a big wooden... house. Inside, stony-faced councilmen and clan chiefs sat around a long table, with Milkhaire and Count Johan at the head. Around them, the count's banner and clan tartans had been hung up on the walls, hiding charred wood and blistered paint, relics of the fires last yahren. The damp feeling to the hall was even more pronounced than usual, and it was not helped by the influx of sodden men in smelly armour.

"Pray excuse this interruption, milords." A familiar voice rang out and Captain Craigh of the Islay Brigade stepped forth from the rest of the soldiers to address the negotiating parties. "The weather has taken a turn for the worse, and the Protectors and I have agreed that there was nothing to be gained by remaining outside."

Meanwhile, the sentry that Gavin had first spoken to quietly approached the clan leaders. After a brief discussion, Milkhaire left the head of the table and his place was taken by a hulking, dark-haired Clansman.

The old shaman appeared as serene as ever as he made his way towards Syrawenn and Gavin. Greetings, his strange voice whispered in their minds.
Last edited by Turi on Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

The warriors, Gavin and Syrawenn, had stated they would come back to the Abbey the next day, but upon leaving her rooms, Gaelena noted the increase in rain and wind. No time to wait, she decided, shouldering her bag once more, then set out for Hafne, hoping to find the pair.

Her cloak was plastered to her skin, her hair a wild, fiery mess around her face by the time she reached the port town, figuring anyone looking for a ship would be here. She asked around and found out that there was a large meeting going on nearby. Political leaders for the island were there. As good a place as any to start, she decided. She made her way there, the cloak leaving no secret as to her gender as it clung like an unwanted lover to her curves.

Up ahead, she spotted two forms that resembled those of the large man and smaller girl. "Gavin? Syrawenn?," she called out, hoping she could be heard over the wind and rain.
[i]Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.[/i]
George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

[size=75]Avatar by Lena[/size]
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Syarwenn poke made Gavin twist away instinctively, even though he hardly felt the finger through his armor, but he knew the poke needed a response and he gave her a proper one. "If I know Milkhaire at all, he'll at least talk to us. Not sure if he will come along, but who knows. I think others might not let him go. They'll say it is dangerous and that they want to protect him, but what they really want is to use the respect people have for him." He glanced at the skies once more, frowning slightly, turning straight into the wind and letting looking for a flash of lightning to illuminate the storm's source. "Hold yer horses, Storm Lord. We are coming. You could way a day or two more after so many yahren of patience."

Despite the guards' exodus into the House of Clans, Gavin lingered outside, waiting for the sentry's return, and thus managed to heard Gaelena's call. He tried to wait outside for the sentry, but the press of people drew them in, forcing him to signal to the priestess they would be waiting for her inside. And he did just that, fighting the tide of people long enough for Syrawenn to catch up and then drawing her right to the side and against the wall where they could wait for Milkhaire's response and leave the Hall quickly after they were done. Then Milkhaire approached, giving Gavin a cause to smile as he nodded in greeting, looking into the man's eyes. "We have news. Some of them are good."
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

"I wonder if he wants us to come." Syrawenn thought out loud. Up until now none of the esteemed higher beings had been interested in anything but their own gain, which overall seemed to consist on sending people off on useless quests that they knew would fail beforehand anyway. Her knuckles itched to simply floor another avatar, even though she knew she'd been lucky with the presence of the two insane Adhiel who'd somehow given her the strength to actually punch that idiot down.

"An if he don't want us to come, he already made up his mind, eh? Lookin wonderful once again." She followed Gavin's gaze up to the dark skies -a futile gesture since the results were felt quite clear down here as well.

The girl missed Gaelena's call, but Gavin's insistance on waiting outside betrayed someone else coming. Syra was simply not tall enough to look over the heads of the people who were swarming inside, but undoubtedly the extra guest would soon become visible once they were into safety -and a dry spot.

An eyebrow went up when Gavin pulled her to the side. Looking around at the crowd, the girl understood and nodded. It wouldn't do to get caught up in their midst when all they needed was a word with Milkey.

"We got the boat." Syrawenn interrupted Gavin. "Not much else, but we got the boat!" She looked at the bearded man to finish the details of the message.
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena nearly jumped for joy as Gavin stopped, having heard her call. Thank the Mother, she thought as she moved through the rain and people towards the pair, entering well behind them. She tried to move close, her dripping dress leaving a trail of rainwater behind her as she walked.

Glancing around, she noted the number of people inside, unaware of whom the pair waited for.
[i]Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.[/i]

Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

I too have news to share, but it can wait. Milkhaire nodded his head at the pair before him. I have heard that you sought a ship from the Count. What have learned of the Stones that takes you from these shores? he asked them as Gaelena found her way to Gavin and Syrawenn.

The white-haired shaman's attention was immediately drawn to the healer and he gazed at her with something akin to recognition. Sister, he greeted her warmly.

Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

"He could be scared and tryin' to scare us away. Or maybe just wanting to show us what he is capable off before our meeting. I say we go anyhow, and see what happens." He grinned, having decided long ago that he would see this through, and knowing full well he was hardly easy to intimidate. He was more concerned about Syrawenn and those who would accompany them, that for himself, knowing what he was capable of. He was still a bit hurt after what had happened upon the blasted glass plain, and the easy assumption others have made that he was willing to sacrifice himself. Nothing could be further from the truth, the tall warrior merely hating to lose and willing to risk much in order to avoid such an outcome. As long as he did not lose, it did not matter if he won.

Then Milkhaire was at their side and Gavin felt another shiver at hearing that strangely calm voice in his mind, still not quite comfortable with the intrusion, but keeping his mind open to it as things needed to be said. "We found more than just a boat. We found Gaelena at the Abbey of Dort. Abbot said they have noticed the changes to this island and offered help. She was seeking more information when we left to get a ship." he paused, adding just a bit more before giving their companion a chance to say what she had found. "We spoke to Vaga Hex near Dort. She said the stones were a seal for the pact made between Mother and a being called Storm Lord. And that he wants back what he thinks is his. We need to make a new pact or the storms will get worse. With the Guardian dead we need to adapt. Aetya was reborn, but she is too young to help us. Perhaps a temporary pact is all we need. To buy time before Aetya grows and remembers her fate." He shrugged and glanced at Gaelena. "Have you learned more while we were gone?"
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Syrawenn stood up straight. "Well, of course we go! Nothin happens if we don't go!" She mumbled vehemently. "I didn't say we weren't gonna go!" It was a familiar predicament: people thinking she wouldn't go through with someone. It was true: she was quite the scatterbrain, but once she decided something needed to be done, the girl out her teeth into it and did not let go. Gavin's presence was actually the very real proof of that.

The plan to make a temporary pact was new to her and she cast a surprised look at the bearded man. "Temporary? Heh...nice..." The youngster could not surpress a grin. There was something to be said for a creative interpretation of the nasty facts. Yet whatever Gaelena had learned might just help them a lot more than the entire abbey and ship-trip together!

There was very real anticipation in her grey eyes when she surveyed the woman who had just arrived. The whole talking-in-her-head thing did not do much to shock her anymore. Too many godly wannabees had already pulled that trick to make it interesting. The only thing that truly worried her was actually what Milkey might pick up from the chaos that was her mind.

Yet him calling the girl 'sister' was very interesting. What did they share? Was it some magic stuff or something much more mundane?
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena looked at Milkhaire as he greeted her silently, seemingly nonplussed at the psychic greeting, though she feel somewhat strange about it. She didn't remember meeting him. Had he been one of the soldiers? Surely she would have remembered one of her patients speaking to her like he did. her hand slid up her arm to the bandages as the strangeness of the day continued. Since her fingers were there anyway, she checked their dampness. These need to be changed, she thought idly.

When she was given her chance to speak, she nodded. "Yes, I did find out something interesting. While walking the path of Thorns, I came across a spirit who had been at the binding. She showed me how to perform the ancient rites to call the Mother down, as well as to where the Storm Lord was banished." She didn't mention that it might require her impaling herself on a stone knife, as she was still trying to work out if there wasn't a more practical way.

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

Milkhaire smiled at Gaelena, feeling her confusion. You are my sister. All of us are connected, dear one. We share the Wyrd. Tell us of the Path of Thorns Sister. Did you learn what would satisfy the Storm Lord?

His eyes went to Gavin, then to Syrawenn, tilting slightly as if listening to something they couldn't hear. Then he smiled. Ah. He shook his head before concentrating again Now, it seems you are on your path and are steadfast. What aid do you require from me?
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Milkhaire's question was met with a shake of her head. "Not how to satisfy him, unfortunately, for what I saw showed that nothing satisfied them. They had to call down the Mother as a last resort," she replied. She opened her mind, allowing the whitehaired man to see what she had seen, the memories that weren't her own. She wasn't certain if he had the ability, but since Gavin and Syrawenn seemed to think this man needed to know, she trusted him. As he had said, they were all connected.

She turned to looked at the pair once she was done, waiting for them to state what had to be done. She was following them.

Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

The revelation that Mother herself was summoned to control the Storm Lord was somewhat disturbing, though Gavin reserved his judgment until the actual meeting with this mysterious entity and actual confrontation between them and it. "It was a long time ago when they made the pact. Perhaps Storm Lord has matured with time? Grown less violent and wild?" It was a slim hope given the buffeting winds they had just witnessed outside, but the tall warrior was willing to have a little hope, and still prepare for the worst.

Milkhaire's question was directly linked to Gavin's plan to prepare for the worst. "I am not sure if it would be called aid. We came to ask if you would perhaps accompany us in our journey? While Gaelena clearly has a good knowledge of what we are to face and is follower of the Mother, your advice and presence could prove to be invaluable." he paused and sought a way to shape into words what he needed to say. "You can actually feel the suffering of Dort. You warned us about it and you would better know both whether our mission was a success and what would help this island not only survive, but recover and maybe even grow. There is room on the ship for you. We would welcome your help. But, you have to decide where you need to be more."
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Do gods mature? An interesting philosophical question, came the wry reply of the shaman.

He was still busy digesting all the images that suddenly flooded his mind, making him reel a bit. Milkhaire took a deep breath, looking back at where he had come from, in his mind seeing the gathering of men, their hopes, their fears. It was so important. Yet, so was this. He looked into Gaelena's eyes. I will come with you, sister.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

"Besides that," Syrawenn interjected, "Yer just about the only person we've met so far who is actually willin to do more than spout riddles. Ya care, mister, an so do we. Let's team up an do some damage...errr...undo some damage. Yea, that's what I meant." The girl grinned sheepsihly.

Meanwhile her mind was turning. Calling down the Mother? I've seen her avatar. I talked to her. She wasn't half bad. But how's Mom then...if she's anything like her avatar, she ain't such a bad person...god...whatever...to have on yer side. Maybe the Stormlord got the hots for her? Maybe that's why he listened? Heh, or maybe she was being a real mom an gave him a good spanking.

The grin grew as she imagined gods in a squabble that would have fitted any loving couple.

It seemed Milkey had made up his mind, even though it looked like he was only speaking to Gaelena when he promised to come.

Typical.
Ignore the fact Gavin asked ya to come.
Whatever.
As long as we get some stuff done fer a change.
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena listened to those around her as she tried to regain balance after rehashing Old Mag's memories. She grew ever so slightly paler, her hand holding her injured arm now. It was scary, but she was resolute.

As Milkehair looked back at her, she met his eyes. "I will come with you, sister". She nodded at the words, glad to have someone else to share this with. It was hard, thinking you might be leading yourself to your own death, but with the strange man's help, the young healer was certain that with Gavin and Syrawenn, all would be put back right.

Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

"Philosophical or not, we may soon find the answer personally." The tall warrior was not in the least hurt that Milkhaire accepted Gaelena's invitation, seemingly ignoring Gavin, the simple fact that shaman was coming along enough for him. They needed someone who could actually feel the change that Dort was undergoing and who could tell them if their actions worked and even could stand by their side and fight if such a need arose. The stories he heard told that Milkhaire himself had killed Prorurbia and that was no mean task itself. "Alrighty then. We'll meet you at the docks in the morning. Count gave us a boat and Abbot promised he would send along the others who would be joining us. " He smiled and tried to actually feel the optimist he needed. "This should go well. We all want the same thing." Then he glanced at the people gathered in the council and whispered. "If you need to go back, we won't keep you away longer. Unless one of you girls has something to say?"
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena shook her head as Gavin asked if they had anything more to say. In doing so, some of the water still clinging to her hair flew off the ends and one thick curl stuck to her cheek. A slight chill ran through her, causing her to shiver for a flicker. "No, but thank you," she said.

Maeve

Post by Maeve »

I need to go back, Milkhaire agreed, through yet another look over his shoulder, before turning to Syrawenn and giving her an expectant look for a flicker. Original souls. All of them carried that mark and he had learned to trust his instincts without question. They had original souls.

OOC: are we done?

Return to “Dort Archive”