Harbor Gates (Chyril 27th)

Moderator: Mods

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Harbor Gates (Chyril 27th)

Post by Grey Wolf »

The port of the Citadel was clearly added later, after the ancient ones finished building the city. It forms a small section just outside the concentric circles that form the city, with docks and warehouses dominating its looks. This port is the main port of the entire Empire, hence all tradehouses have their headquarters here.

There are, of course, several shipping docks, including the infamous Outlaws’ Warf. Day in to day out, an abundance of life comes into and leaves the docks. The Docks bring the world to the Citadel and makes her economy thrive; without them the Citadel would parish. The Docks serve for many purposes. Business at the docks is like clock work and there is an almost continuous stream of traffic between them and the city.

As ships approach they are directed to a slip at which time passengers may disembark. Looking down the rows of ships, there a many different types, brigs, galleons, schooners, all proudly resting in the water waiting to sail off to the next port of call. All except one. At the front of the pier, sitting proudly at the first slip rests a ship whose keel hovers feet above the surface of the water. An airship, she proudly flies flags of the Western Kingdom, from where she is the first to journey on a mission of trade.

The gates themselves are a scene of barely controlled chaos. Peddlers, beggers, sailors, and drunkards seem to mill about with no rhyme or reason. Those who had heard of the unparallelled efficeincy of the Ceaser`s Purple Guard who ran the gate are suprised to find it now run by the Blue Tabarded City Guard. Many of the uniforms are mismatched and stained, and the guard themselves mix an air of resignation and contempt as they question each person attempting to gain entry. The area in front of the gate is nearly always crowded. Still with enough patience, or a couple of well placed elbows, it is possible to get to the front of the line. The sheer number of guards in blue tabards of City Guard on duty that day and their exceedingly foul mood meant that skipping a line might be a bad idea.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Trevyn Sayres
Civus

Post by Trevyn Sayres »

Trevyn studied the port of the Citadel carefully. An unusual unsteadyness had come over him as he glided across the docks and toward the gate. If only there was one familiar, or at least kind face in this crowd, Trevyn lamented to himself, someone that could help me wade through this mess and get somewhere safe, I would be eternally grateful. The myriad of faces unnerved Trevyn. If only there were a patch of greenery to hide in for a while until things slowed down, Trevyn mused, then I could steady myself and figure out just what I need to be doing. Trevyn continued slowly and steadily towards the gate. Under his breath, Trevyn muttered, "My beloved Pan, I am Your devoted servant. I dedicate all the Joy I share to You. Please guide me through this labyrinth of bodies to a place where I may rest and recharge. Please grant me Your strength, wisdom and confidence."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Where once half a dozen guards have been enough a full score stood fully armed, nervously eyeing the newly arrived travelers, and even more nervously glancing towards the blob of a man that sat in a chair next to the watchtower, devouring leg of a lamb greedily. Line moved swiftly and steadily, the guards simply taking care of their duties, even Krys' usually foul temper mellowed down by the last night's events. Her eyes were red and slightly puffy, though whether it was from crying or simply because she lacked sleep was anybody's question. She was taking a break at the moment, mulling silently over a cup of steaming hot coffee, while Stu handled the travelers on their way it. Thus Trevyn found himself before a small, rat-like man in a patched and faded blue uniform. "Name, occupation, point of origin and reason of visit?"
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Trevyn Sayres
Civus

Post by Trevyn Sayres »

Trevyn glanced briefly, but sympathetically at the woman with the red, puffy eyes. If only I knew what troubled her, maybe I could make her feel better, the healer inside of him thought. Then, as quickly and calmly as Trevyn could do in his current emotional state, he answered the small, ratlike man in front of him.

"My name is Trevyn Sayres," Trevyn said as politely as possible. "I am from Pan's Isle, or I guess they are calling it Aveas now. Anyhow, I am a carpenter and healer, though I eventually hope to be a companion. I am actually hoping to immigrate to the Citadel, as my home has been overrun by Oneists, and I no longer am welcome there."
Yelena Kintessia
Civus

Post by Yelena Kintessia »

Upon her arrival to the gate, Yelena immediately made her way over to the area where the lady guard was. Her pace quickened as the excitement or maybe it was anxiety started to build inside of her. The thoughts that she had shook off returned as strong as ever, and it took Yelena a moment to quell their effects again. The lady guard was spotted with a cup of coffee. Yelena approached her cautiously, going through the people toward her and trying to gain some composure. As Yelena got closer she could the eyes of the guard, which were very puffy. It was not her business to know so she ignored the sight.

“Ah... Hello again.”
[size=75]"All days are nights to see till I see thee, And nights bright days when dreams do show thee to me." - [i]Shakespeare[/i]
Avatar by Finn! (She's zomg amazing)[/size]
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

Post by Aerin Penna Seleratus »

Aerin had a few chores to do, minor things really, but since Ashari's business had taken her elsewhere Aerin had decided to go ahead and get her tasks done. One which she thought most important was getting her city pass replaced, having lost it the night of the fire when she had foolishly exposed herself to the world. The redhead moved with confidence through the streets despite her memories of Paulie and the tales of the killer still fresh in her mind. It does no good to live in fear... she thought with a frown as she followed Yelena through the gates and looked about for Duncan. I hope he's here and remembers me...it's an embarrassing story to tell anyone, but maybe he will find it alluring and replace my pass without too much trouble...
”The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” – Nietzsche

Avatar by Draconis (Found and resized by Paige)
http://drakonis.org
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Stu looked up at Trevyn, arching his bushy brows, but said nothing other than repeating soundlessly what the young man before him said, never being good at literacy, but still better than most City Guard recruits over the yahren. "I am not sure if you can immigrate to Citadel. You can live here and all that, but I am not sure if Aveas is part of Empire or not. All that political stuff confuses me." He smiled and glanced at the papers before him, before nodding. "Welcome to Citadel then. If you have any questions, please be quick about it, as we are a bit busy at the moment."

Krys failed to detect Yelena's approach, yawning openly and not bothering to cover her mouth with a hand, smacking her lips and taking a long pull of the coffee, before peering up at the girl. "And who the f......." She stopped and took a better look, smiling wolfishly. "Ah, a dream eyed missy. Mmmmmmm, Yelena wasn't it?" Rubbing her eyes, the blond guard leaned back, shifting her shoulders and frowning as her joints cracked. "What can I do for you? Unless you came by just to say hi."
Yelena Kintessia
Civus

Relief found its way to Yelena when remembered her, somewhat. Krys must have been extremely worn out from the night before, a conclusion Yelena came to after a closer look at the lady. Also judging from Krys' words, she didn't really remember the agreement either. It disheartened her, but seeing as how Krys saw so many faces everyday and the fact that she remembered Yelena at all was reassuring. Yelena simply stared at the woman, thinking of a way to jog her memory.

“You told me to meet you here, today. Do you remember?” She let the simplest way to say it escape her lips. Her eyes looked around the rest of the area while a finger twirled in her hair. She caught a glimpse of Treyvn and Stu before looking back at Krys. “Busy day?”
[size=75]"All days are nights to see till I see thee, And nights bright days when dreams do show thee to me." - [i]Shakespeare[/i]
Trevyn Sayres
Civus

Post by Trevyn Sayres »

Trevyn looked at Stu and smiled, both relieved not to have received a thorough interrogation and amused at Stu's comments. "I do have one question for you," Trevyn began while glancing briefly at the ladies surrounding him, then back at Stu. "My mother used to live here. She told me about a place called the Red Rose Guild. Do you know where it is?"
[size=84]Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
- Hassan I Sabbah[/size]

[size=75]Avatar courtesy of Fialessa Valenstri, with my deepest gratitude.[/size]
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

Aerin had stayed close to Yelena out of convenience, remembering Krys from the time when she had stood in that very line before she had gone on break and Duncan had taken her place. She was about to interrupt, politely, and ask Krys where she could find him when Trevyn's question hit her ears. “Umm... I do...” she answered, giving him a little wave. “It burnt down night before last though... Spent the better part of Morningtide yesterday helping Ashari dig through the rubble. Bathed since then, but still can't lose the smell, I fear...” she laughed nervously, tossing her crimson hair a bit in the process.

“My name is Aerin...” she offered, stepping a pace to the side as not to be talking over Yelena's shoulder to the fair-featured man. “Aerin Seleratus and, while the Rose is no more, I could take ou to meet the owner if you had business that you needed to discuss with her.” Aerin had not planned to be a recruiter for Ashari and was not looking at Trevyn in that light, but she knew that Ashari was pretty much starting from scratch after the fire and just walking away from a contact – for whatever reason he was seeking the guild out – would probably not sit well with Ashari.

“I just need to see if I can't get some business done first, if you would not mind waiting a bit longer.” she continued after only half a flicker, her eyes panning the sea of guards, looking at their faces. “I am looking for the guard who gave me my pass...I think his name was Duncan...I lost my pass the night of the fire and need it replaced. I am just not sure if I need to find him specifically, because I hope he remembers me, or if any guard can look up my records and issue me a new one.”

Aerin lifted herself up on tip-toes to get a better view, her jade eyes shining with hope as she continued to look for him among the masses.
”The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” – Nietzsche

Trevyn Sayres
Civus

Post by Trevyn Sayres »

"Oh," Trevyn stammered, not sure whether to be disappointed at the demise of the Red Rose Guild or to be giddy to meet someone from whom he may be able to begin to forge a link with his mother's past. "I am truly sorry to hear that. My mother had been a companion during her time in the Citadel, and she always spoke highly of the Rose."

Trevyn then remembered his manners, and added apologetically, "My name is Trevyn Sayres, by the way, and it is a pleasure to meet you, Aeryn. I really was hoping to see the Rose now that I am here at the Citadel. Now, given what you have told me, I think that I would like to meet its owner. It was my eventual hope to become a companion trained by the Rose, but perhaps, for the time being I could offer my services as a carpenter. That is, if you think that the owner of the Rose would be interested. Either way, I would be more than happy to wait with you while you conclude your business. Even just getting to see the former location of the Rose would be worth the wait."

Trevyn murmured a quiet thank you to Pan and then set about studying his surroundings as he waited for Aeryn to complete her business. He glanced at Yelena briefly again and, for the briefest of moments, saw his mother’s face reflected in hers. Then, the all too familiar sensation of loss he felt whenever he thought about his mother began to creep over him. He struggled to fight off the tears. Well, Mother, I am here. And although the Red Rose Guild of which you so lovingly spoke no longer stands, I at least will get to see its surroundings. And maybe, Pan willing, I may have a hand in its restoration.
[size=84]Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
- Hassan I Sabbah[/size]

[size=75]Avatar courtesy of Fialessa Valenstri, with my deepest gratitude.[/size]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Even had there not been so many guards at the gates, Aerin would have had trouble finding Duncan as the Sergeant was simply not there. The fat, blob of a man sitting at the table the tall Sergeant usually occupied, and was busy devouring the leg of a lamb, his cheeks and chin shining from grease. His uniform was equally greasy, but was definitely of better quality than Duncan's and had a few extra stripes upon the sleeve. He was paying absolutely no attention to the guards, or the travelers, completely focused on the meat in his hand, and the mug of beer he used to wash the food down from time to time.

Krys stifled the next yawn, even going so far as to cover her mouth with the back of a hand, pointing at a chair nearby and then to a spot next to her. "Sit down, I've got a headache and looking up is not helping." Once the girl was seated, the blond guard pinched the bridge of her nose and answered. "Busy night, busy day, busy life. I got maybe a mark's worth of sleep since yesterday morning. Been on in early Gravetide and then we found Sarge in the alley with half a face torn off. Managed a short shut-eye at the Temple of Mother." He smiled weakly, the headache and exhaustion actually making her less tense. "How about you?"
Yelena Kintessia
Civus

As Krys explained her state and the situation the day before, Yelena was fixed on the words she had heard from the red-haired woman that was standing next to her. From what she said... That woman definitely knows Ashari. They were digging in the rubble just before I got to the Temple... The adhiel's eyes started to take in the woman's features, alternating glances between Aerin and Krys. Yelena could not help but feel a familiarity toward Aerin, despite not even knowing who she was. Odd... Nevertheless, if the woman did know Ashari then this was a chance Yelena was looking for. Just the break she needed after a day of searching, although she did not expect to find anything this quickly.

“My day was not exactly 'busy,' but I met some interesting people trying to find the Rose.” She looked over to the red-haired woman again. “There was not anything... Actually as I was leaving the gates a man hit me while opening the door to his home. If I remembered correctly, Jordan was his name.”
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

After her encounter with Paulie, Aerin had become a bit skittish about male guards although since her father, she had already had a keen distaste for males in authority to begin with, and her eyes moved back and forth from Krys to the fat man, her gut telling her to check with the woman first and then the man, if needed. Yet as she stood there torn, she took a closer look at Krys’s face and at the lady she was talking to, an odd feeling of déjà-vu washing over her as she watched the blond Adhiel take a seat near the female guard. No… she decided after a few flickers. It is probably best to leave them alone… She took one more look at the fat guard, noting his stripes but still blissfully unaware as to their meaning. The best that she could guess was that more stripes meant more years – meaning that the guard had probably heard this song before.

Her eyes moved back to Trevyn and she gave him a little wink before tossing her hair slightly with a head nod toward the big guard. “Hey…”, she said to the newly arrived male. “This way…let’s stop blocking the line, eh?” she asked with a friendly smile, turning back to the fat guard and moving toward his table, the words “…follow the bouncing butt…” whispering almost inaudibly through her lips as she stole one more glance at Yelena and tried to figure out why the girl seemed so damned familiar.

As she neared her target, Aerin screwed her courage to the sticking post and refreshed her smile, trying not to appear repulsed at watching someone else eat as this man did. You’re Ashari’s student, girl, now act like it.. she commanded herself as she cleared her throat and gave the man a small bow. “Hello, sir. My name is Aerin Penna Seleratus and I am hoping that you might help me. I work for Ashari of the Red Rose Guild and lost my pass accidentally when fighting the fire which burned down the original guild house…” she explained, not wanting to go into too much detail about that night although, for all she knew, this same guard could have been present at her grand show. “I came here on the twenty-second…” she continued, giving the ships’ name, a good description of Duncan – or at least the best she could since her attention had been focused on his kind eyes and what looked to be a very kissable mouth…although heavy description in those departments meant probably nothing to the big man.

“Do you keep records for cases like this? Or need someone to vouch for knowing me like the guard who gave me my pass or something? I worked at Simple pleasures for a time, if this guard cannot be found or doesn’t remember me…” she continued, listing off others such as Claire, Hadvin, Georgio, some of the other Simple Pleasures staff, Morgan, Becca, and Professor Pralix, still unaware that the latter three – as well as one of the Citadel’s most prominent landmarks – had vanished into thin air. She was a flighty creature at times, young Aerin, and often missed the obvious while looking at the details. “…as well as Mistress Ashari, of course. I am sure that any of these can probably vouch for me if that is needed in order to get a replacement pass. Do you think that you could help me?” Aerin gave her lower lip a small bite as she raised her eyebrows hopefully – it was mostly for show, a little flirting to grease the wheels, but Aerin hoped that he did not read too much into it, lest she find herself on her knees nearby earning her pass the hard way..

Difficult way… she corrected herself, trying not to picture that particular man looking any more disgusting than he already did.
Last edited by Aerin Penna Seleratus on Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"Lucky you. Did you give the piece of shit who struck you a piece of your mind?" She took her coffee mug and drained it with a grimace, shivering for a flicker, and hunching her shoulders. "Citadel's can be such a shit-hole at time, and the people that live here proper bastards fit for such a shit-hole." She turned in her chair and pointed to a corner nearby, the spot vacant at the moment, but Yelena might recall a group of perhaps dozen man in purple tabards with a sign of red hand upon their chests standing there yesterday. "A gang called Red Hands used to hang there and do nothing the entire day, unless someone came to them and asked for help or directions or whatever. Then they'd offer to help him or preferably her and by the end of the day the poor blighter would end up robbed blind and if he was lucky not too badly hurt. And now, they are not there. You wanna know why?" She did not wait for Yelena to offer an answer, answering it herself. "Cause we killed half of them last night and tossed the other half in the Gaol. They refused to hand over their weapons and when we tried to arrest them they resisted. And Marshall told us to do what we must to maintain peace." She sighed and rubbed her eyes. "I fuckin' hate this shit. Not one of the sheep that live in this city did anything to help us, but had we stayed in Gaol and waited for the shit to stop falling they would have been quick to complain to whomever. We are good when their asses are on fire, but when we need money or recruits then they turn deaf and blind. F-U-C-K this." She pushed herself up and turned to the fat blob near the guardhouse. "Lieutenant, I'm taking a break. I'll be back in a mark. Stu can handle this lot till I get back." Then she turned back to Yelena and tried to smile. "I need a drink. You?"

The man raised his eyes, but said nothing throughout Aerin's tirade, chewing on his meal as if it was the center of Tazlure and he was trying to get to the core of it, possibly to discover the meaning of life. Or maybe he was simply a gluttonous, fat slob who probably could not get his little prick hard and was thus unimpressed by the sight of a rather pretty girl before him. "Bah of the line." He muttered at last around the lamb leg. "Just tell Stu to search the records and find your name. Repeat the information you told him when you came to confirm your identity and that's it. Now, if you'll excuse me, but I am kinda busy." he waved the lamb leg vaguely through the air and shifted so he did not have to look at Aerin.

OOC: You can assume Stu will issue you another pass without a hassle, provided you do not try to be a wise-ass and pull a stunt.
Last edited by Grey Wolf on Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yelena Kintessia
Civus

“Ehe... No I did not. He threatened me with a knife and told me to get out, so I did.” From her explanation of the Red Hands, Yelena did remember seeing them there last morningtide. Of course she gave no thought to them at the time. The girl's eyes widened at the fact that the Red Hands were killed off. I suppose a job is a job. She noted in her mind to not bring up the subject again because Krys appeared very agitated when talking about it. Also from what she heard the superiors of the guard were not the nicest of people.

"I need a drink. You?"

“Sure.” The blond rose from the chair, brushing herself off a bit and a took a step to follow Krys. As she took one last glance around the gates she remembered the redhead who had mentioned the Rose. Ah, how could I forget? She turned over to spot Aerin and also Treyvn.“Uhm, could you spare a moment?” Without waiting for the guard's answer she hurried over with a hastily walk and tapped Aerin on the shoulder. “I heard you mention the Rose. Could we meet somewhere? I kind of have a prior engagement.” Yelena said with a smile while brushing back some hair that had came out of place. This could be it...

Post by Guest »

Calryne stepped off of the boat and out into the harbor proper. Walking along the pier, alone but for the sound of the birds, Cal propped one foot on a nearby barrel and placed his opposite arm on his knee. Gazing out toward the city, he watched as the sun rise against the backdrop of the city.

At least, that's how Cal had been invisioning this moment. But there were far too many people in the area to truly enjoy the scenery. And every time he tried to pose thoughtfully, he would get shoved back into the crowd heading toward the gate. "So much for a dramatic entrance," he muttered under his breath. "One of the biggest turning points in my life, and I have to face it like a common merchant." But it was only a slight sulk, and by the time he had been pushed to the blue guards' checkpoint there was a smile on his face.
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

Aerin was both relieved and disappointed at the answer, looking at the line and wishing that there was a table simply for people who needed replacements. “Thanks…” she nodded to the fat guard before turning to face Trevyn…and Yelena, Aerin’s body rotating just as the blonde’s fingers touched her shoulder.

“Well…Na..ma...ste....” Aerin breathed ith a large grin which suddenly helped to mask both her frustration at having to wait in line once more and her surprise at being pleasantly ambushed by the young lady. She listened with both care and confusion at Yelena’s words, nodding her head as she realized what was being asked. “Yes…” she answered, looking to both Trevyn and Yelena in turn, speaking to both at once. She had been about ready to ask Trevyn if he minded meeting her somewhere in a bit or if he wanted to chat with her in line, but Yelena’s request seemed to make Trevyn’s decision for him.

“Sounds lovely…” the redhead replied. “Do either of you know where a coffee shop called ‘Simple Pleasures is? If not, here…” she said, giving them both easy to follow directions before either could answer her question. “Shall we meet there in…a mark or so?” Aerin asked them together, not sure how long Yelena’s appointment would take – or her own for that matter, looking at the line. “Name’s Aerin, by the way…and it is a pleasure to meet you both…” she smiled, already knowing Trevyn’s name from their introduction earlier, but repeating it so that he wouldn’t forget.

“I will try to sit where you can see me, okay?”

After awaiting their replies, Aerin would politely excuse herself – allowing Trevyn to stand in line with her if he wanted but saying nothing of importance about the Rose due to not wanting to have to say it twice. She would also make a promise to herself while entering the queue that she would not be a wise-ass to Stu or try any sort of stunt that would keep her from getting her pass or making her appointment for coffee with the two remarkable inquisitors.

OOC: I take it that’s what you meant, GW?
Yelena and Trevyn: The coffee shop is here - https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=15383
Last edited by Aerin Penna Seleratus on Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mikkel
Civus

Post by Mikkel »

Mikkel was but one among many who stepped off of the ship; though he stood out a bit, being at least a head taller than many of those around him.

The crowd of people was far more than Mikkel had ever seen and he could feel himself becoming more than a little nervous. Instinctively, he took a step back, bumping into someone behind him.

“Sorry,” he muttered, and shuffled forward with the flow of traffic, heading toward the gates.

Though he had heard stories about Citadel, Mikkel had no idea what to expect, and this variable of the unknown only added to his apprehension. The stories he’d heard seemed unreal, the size of the place seemed so exaggerated… But the size of the harbor alone seemed to solidify the stories he’d heard, and that made it all the more frightening to him.

It wasn’t long before he found himself standing before the gates in the middle of a long line, waiting to be examined by the guards before being admitted into the city.
When outlaws are outlawed, only outlaws will be outlaws.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

OOC: Yelena start a side thread and I will pick it up soon. Aerin you can consider your bit to be over successfully.

Krys nodded and pointed towards a nearby corner, to which she moved and stood waiting for Yelena somewhat impatiently, rolling up a cigarette with nervous fingers. She watched the line move and shook her head as Stu struggled with the growing tide of newcomers, the fat Lieutenant too preoccupied with his food to notice the problem. She considered for a flicker going over there and nudging someone else to take her spot, but simply could not be bothered to do it and remained where she was, growing impatient.

The line moved slowly and it was a couple of burns before Carlyne and behind him Aerin were before Stu, the young Panling stepping before the flustered guard first. Stu had slept as little as Krys did and he really needed a nap, but that was not going to happen until that evening. "Name, occupation, point of origin and reason for visit? Please hand over any illegal substances and contraband and you won't have to pay the fine or go to dungeons if we discover them on your person."

Post by Guest »

Cal took a close look at the guard speaking to him. It was all he could do to keep the disgust from appearing on his face as he looked at the guard's disheveled uniform and weary face. Where were the clean-cut, elite soldiers standing next to clean, stone walls, the sunlight glistening off of their armor? This was the Citadel! The location of so many epic tales of heroism and valor, reduced to a squalid island. Why did reality have to be so...real?

"Oh, umm...well, my name's Calyrne. I'm a...well, I guess I'm not a bard yet, but I want to be. I will be. My point of origin is Aveas, and my reason for visit is to get away from said point of origin. I, uhh, don't have anything illegal."
Mikkel
Civus

Post by Mikkel »

Mikkel looked nervously around.

The presence of so many people was almost too much for him to bear. On the few occassions he had traveled to town with his father he had been amazed to see as much as twenty people at once. Here, though; well there were at least twenty people within a few paces of him. It was getting to be more than he could handle.

He became light headed and took a staggering step backwards, bumping into someone behind him. "I'm sorry," Mikkel said apologetically, this being the second time he'd bumped into the man. "I need to sit down for a burn or two."

Mikkel stepped out of line and found a place by the water to sit. He closed his eyes and took a few deep breaths, the air tasting of saltwater and fish. For a brief time the panic within rose and he feared that it would overtake him; but it eventually subsided.

When Mikkel fealt he had regained control of himself, he opened his eyes and rose to his feet. He was thankful to discover that his legs were more sturdy now than they were before.

He glanced briefly at the cloudy sky overhead, hoping that it wasn't some sort of cosmic foreshadowing. With his luck, though; Mikkel wasn't going to be surprised if it was.

Taking another deep breath, Mikkel returned to the line. Though the presence of so many other individuals in one place still unnerved him, he decided that he would manage to get on well enough. It's not like had much choice in the matter, after all.

And who knows, he thought; I may even get used to this.
Last edited by Mikkel on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Had he been to the Citadel earlier Cal might have witnessed just such men and women standing at the gate, well trained and in well-kept purple tabards. Those were the days of the past, before the great riots and disbandment of the old Purple Guard. City Guards were responsible for the gates and they were stretched thin and not quite eager to look good when they had other things to take care of first. Like survive and keep their bellies full. Stu was such a man, and with painstaking attention to detail he scribbled down Cal's information and then looked up. "You too. We get a lot of refugees from Aveas still. Makes you wonder what those Oneists are doing to people there." But, he did not have time to linger with the thought, handing Cal a pass and waving him through. "Welcome to Citadel. Obey the laws and don't cause trouble and you'll be fine. Next!"

Mikkel found the sky too blocked over him, a peculiar ship like vehicle floating towards the harbor, Golden Grace returning from a small patrol its crew demonstrating the vessel's usefulness to state officials. Under an enormous balloon hung a plethora of devices and strange machinery pushing a ship's hull through the air. He was shoved right back forward, the high-pitched voice behind him "Watch out where you are going, you big lummox. Just cause you are tall does not mean you can treat on short people like me." There came a poke against Mikkel's kidney's delivered by something pointed, though not wickedly sharp. Should he turn around he would find himself facing a gnome wearing a dress and a long hair tied back into a ponytail.
Mikkel
Civus

Post by Mikkel »

At first Mikkel thought that a ship had somehow been vaulted into the air and was about to crash down on them, but he soon realized that it was somehow floating on air. A sky ship… Mikkel was in awe. He’d never even heard of such a thing before.

A shove from behind had him moving forward with the line. A poke in the back and some impatient words had apologizing once more. “I’m sorry,” he said, “I’ve never been to a place so…” The words failed him.

He turned around to try to make conversation with the person who’d been stepped on, but saw no one there. Then he looked down and saw what could only be a gnomish woman. He’d never seen a gnome before either and averted his gaze when he caught himself staring.

“I’ve never seen such wonders,” He said to her offhandedly before turning around and moving forward in the line. He had a feeling that there would be much more to amaze him today.

It wasn’t long before he found himself directly before the gates.
Last edited by Mikkel on Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikkel
Civus

Post by Mikkel »

[OOC: Creative Bump Time]

Standing a head taller than most of the people at the gates, Mikkel was able to see a bit into the city. The cobblestone streets struck him as a classy touch. It was rare in the villages that Mikkel had visited back on Dort that the streets were given such care.

Being from a farming community it was rare that he had seen more than one or two buildings in an area, and even then they were never built of such sound structure. Here though, beyond the gates that he waited patiently to enter, he saw no end to the number of buildings. And their close proximity to one another only served to add to his anxieties.

Return to “Outer Ring Archive”