Pax: The Father's Grace: Chyril 27th MT

Moderators: Vanadius, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Mara Zucaro
Civus

Pax: The Father's Grace: Chyril 27th MT

Post by Mara Zucaro »

In the middle of this district stands the Father’s Grace tavern. It is a large sprawling building that began life as a small shack but has been gradually added to in a rather haphazard fashion, giving the whole place a ramshackle and rather quaint look. A large and uneven balcony circles around the upper story and, at busy times, many gnomes can be seen chattering or demonstrating strange contrivances.

Mara was quite bemused at the sight of the Father's Grace. Mara did not know what she was expected but this slapped together building in the middle of the gnomish community was not it. She just looked at it for a long while then strode towards the door. Mare was becoming less and less convinced that coming here was an omen but she should at least look. She opened the door and took in the sights and smells of the room.
Avatar by Sedone Thongvilay [url]http://www.sedone.com[/url]
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

The Father’s Grace tavern was one of the more unusual buildings in Pax. Not in the sense of the strange amalgamation of wood and stone that charcacterised many buildings in the town but rather in its sheer size and ramshackle nature. It was as if a large number of strangely shaped objects had been thrown down in a random fashion with no pre-planned design. Indeed, without the rather garish sign swinging from a corner of the building that jutted out in an alarming manner, it would have been difficult for Mara to find the entrance.

Once inside, the internal layout matched the tavern’s eccentric external appearance. The main room of the tavern contained a haphazard array of tables arranged around a central bar. To one side of the room stood a small stage containing a number of chairs and two stringed instruments. Several archways, corridors and doors led off in all directions to a series of smaller rooms of different sizes, shapes and height. The whole tavern had the feel of a place that had grown organically, as if it were a plant spreading out across its environment.

The tavern was sparseley populated this morningtide. Two elderly gnomes sat at a corner table tinkering with a strange looking device; a dark-haired achdheil youth was tucking into a plate of food and, close to the bar, an extremely tall human was standing with a foaming glass of ale grasped in one huge hand. The quiet murmur of conversation filtered through from one or two of the side rooms.

Behind the bar was a gnome sporting a long, jet black and well-groomed moustache. As Mara entered the gnome looked up with a broad smile. “Good morningtide, friend. Can I get you a drink, or some food perhaps?”
Mara Zucaro
Civus

Post by Mara Zucaro »

Her earlier queasiness was gone and Mara found herself liking the idea of breakfast. "Food and drink." She nodded. "Dark ale and whatever the kitchens have ready. I'm not picky." Mara leaned against the bar and looked the place over. The place amused her and Mara had little to be amused about in the Mouth. Despite herself, she found her guard slipping a little here.

Her gaze looked over the stage. Did she really want to be a singer? A cover for her real purpose here might be prudent should the guards check up on her activities. Moreover, she did need to get to know the lay of the land and what better place for that than a tavern. Very well, she'd be a singer. "The guard at the gate said you might be looking for singers." Mara told the barman. "Was he right?"
Guido Cercatoro

The barkeep nodded in acknowledgment at Mara’s order and he beckoned over a young gnome who had appeared in a nearby doorway. “Get a special for this lady.” The youngster quickly sped off to obtain the food.

The new arrival soon had a frothing mug of deep, dark ale in front of her. It appeared to be lively ale for it was bubbling slightly and gave off a pungent, fruity aroma. “A new recipe I’m trying out,” explained the barkeep with obvious pride.

“He calls it Jumping Jake’s,” laughed the tall human, good naturedly. “Coz it’ll get you jumping around after a few drinks.”

“Don’t scare the poor lady, Vernon,” cackled the gnome.

"The guard at the gate said you might be looking for singers." Mara told the barman. "Was he right?"

“A singer, are you,” said the gnome, arching an eyebrow in curiosity. “Well, it is true that I am looking for a new entertainer. The last one left suddenly…”

“Drank too much of your last experimental ale,” mumbled the bearded man. “Had to leave the stage in a hurry.”

The barkeep put his hands on his hip in mock indignation. “Just couldn’t hold his ale, that’s all.”

The gnome turned back to Mara. “Now, what sort of songs do you perform? Do you play an instrument?”
Mara Zucaro
Civus

Post by Mara Zucaro »

Mara took a drink from her ale to stall for time. What songs did she know? She had mostly used her voice for prayers to the Father. Some of those were quite beautiful but not really tavern fare. Still she had been around the musicians at Madam Panicci's and pressed into service as an entertainer now and then. It wouldn't be the first time she sang for her supper.

"Whatever you are doing with the ale, keep it up." Mara nodded to the gnome as she set down her glass. "As for my singing, my voice is the only instrument I have though I have great range. Its strong enough for bawdy ballads full of wit and laughter yet sweet enough for the adhiel songs of spring my mother sang over me as a child. I'm sure I have something for your patrons." Mara assured him though she made a note to start catching other performers shows. She would need fresh material if she was to be convincing at this. Suddenly this cover story seemed like more effort than it was worth.
Guido Cercatoro

"Well the stage is free," replied the barkeep, gesturing towards the raised area containing the chairs and instruments. "Sing me a song and if I like you, you can start tonight. I can arrange for an accompaniest."

"And I'll whistle along," grinned the tall human.
Mara Zucaro
Civus

Post by Mara Zucaro »

"You do that." Mara snorted at the tall human as she pushed herself away from the bar and headed for the stage. Something about the man rubbed him the wrong way. Anyone who smiled that much was hiding something. So, a song for two elderly gnomes, one young gnome, a drunken ninadhiel and an achadhiel eating breakfast. Mara swiftly decided that no one had ever written a song for that and instead racked her brain for what she could sing well that would fit a bar. All the adhiel songs she knew were quiet ballads and lullabies and tavern goers wouldn't clap and dance to a hymn. Or would they?

Mara stepped up on the stage and turned to face the 'crowd'. She forced a smile onto her face. "Good morning everyone. My name is Mara Zucaro and I've got a song I'd like you to hear." Mara's voice wanted to be sweet but a lifetime in the Mouth breathing the fumes of industry gave it a husky quality. Her forced smile slipped into a more natural one as she sang.

She danced on the water, and the wind was Her horn
The Lady laughed, and everything was born
And when She lit the sun and its' light gave Him birth
The Lord of the Dance first appeared on the Earth

Dance, dance, where ever you may be
I am the Lord of the Dance, you see!
I live in you, and you live in Me
And I lead you all in the Dance, said He!

I danced in the morning when the World was begun
I danced in the Moon and the Stars and the Sun
I was called from the Darkness by the Song of the Earth
I joined in the Song, and She gave Me Birth!

I sleep in the kernel, and I dance in the rain
I dance in the wind, and thru the waving grain
And when you cut me down, I care nothing for the pain;
In the Spring I'm the Lord of the Dance once again!

I see the Maidens laughing as they dance in the Sun
And I count the fruits of the Harvest, one by one
I know the Storm is coming, but the Grain is all stored
So I sing of the Dance of the Lady, and Her Lord:

The Horn of the Lady cast its' sound 'cross the Plain
The birds took the notes, and gave them back again
Till the sound of Her music was a Song in the sky
And to that Song there is only one reply:

We dance ever slower as the leaves fall and spin
And the sound of the Horn is the wailing of the wind
The Earth is wrapped in stillness, and we move in a trance,
But we hold on fast to our faith in the Dance!

Mara kind of swayed to the music and even threw in a few impromptu dance steps when the music moved her. It was a song of praise to the Father and Mother and it felt so good to sing it in a public place unafraid. The last verse was sung slowly and lowly so that the final chorus sounded all the more joyful and triumphant. She had no idea how she sounded to the others, but Mara was proud of her song. "Well, Jake. Have I got the job?" She asked.
Guido Cercatoro

Apart from the barkeep and the tall human, the only patron who took any notice of Mara’s introduction was the dark-haired achadhiel youth who lifted a pair of golden eyes towards the stage before quickly returning to his food. However, the eyes shot up again as she started singing and he sat back in his chair, arms folded gazing at the performer.

The room remained silent save the chattering of the two elderly gnomes who appeared totally oblivious to the performer. Indeed, as Mara began her second verse one of the gnomes slapped his hand on the table and shouted out something along the lines of “…the discombobulator has overextended the strength of the grommet…”. The other gnome looked suitably shocked at this revelation.

Mara gave a competent performance of the song, yet the lack of feedback from the crowd was somewhat disconcerting. However, as she reached the middle of the song, the tall human began clapping along with the rhythm and even joined in on the chorus. He proved to have a pitch perfect and silky voice that complemented Mara’s husky tone.

Things appeared to be going well but her decision to throw in a few dance steps almost proved her undoing for she stumbled, tripping over her own feet. The young achadhiel and barkeep clearly found it most amusing for they both let out loud titters of laughter.

At the end of the song, the tall human, barman and young achadhiel all applauded politely.

“Well, Jake. Have I got the job?"

Before the proprietor could respond, the tall human intervened. “You ought to take her on Jake, you don’t get many who can perform that particular folk dance as they sing.”

“Right you are Vernon,” replied the gnome, good-naturedly before turning to Mara. “Well, you are a bit rough round the edges but I’ll give you a trial for a couple of nights. Can you start this even’tide?”
Mara Zucaro
Civus

Post by Mara Zucaro »

Well Mara did not expect to have the few inhabitants of the tavern spellbound but the gnomes chattering on threatened to throw her off her rhythm. Mara was grateful for the tall human for joining in throw she kept waiting for the heckle or the joke. Then she went and provided it herself by tripping over her own feet! She managed not to lose the song over the laughter but her ears burned with embarrassment.

Mara bowed at the applause mostly to hide her disappointment at clearly blowing her chance here. She knew the clapping for the pity it was. Still she put a brave face on and asked if she got the job. They could have knocked her over with a feather when Vernon spoke up in her favor and Jake agreed.

"Yes." Mara nodded. "Yes, I can start his eventide and thank you. Thank you very much!" Mara hated to take charity but a kindly offer to prove herself she could accept from the gnome. "You won't regret it." She promised. Mara was so relieved to get the job that it did not even occur to her to ask what she would be paid or if she would for that matter.

Mara retook her seat at the bar and turned toward the large human, Vernon. He stepped in to help her and Mara would know that price for that sooner rather than later. "Sounds like you should be the one up there." Mara commented. "Thanks for hopping in."
Guido Cercatoro

As Mara retook her seat, the young gnome arrived from the kitchen with an appetising-looking bowl of stew. The barkeep hurried away to serve a new arrival, a short red-bearded gnome carrying a strangely shaped package under his arm.

“I thought yer needed some assistance,” explained the tall man in a friendly tone. The man was clad in a brown rough jerkin, dark green leggings and a pair of battered leather boots. A sharp dagger hung from his broad belt.

“In truth, this place needs livening up with a new singer. The last one claimed he saw ghosts but it was probably the ale talking. As fer me, well I prefer singin’ in the forest than the tavern. Still, I enjoyed the words of yer song. Who is the Lord of the Dance yer sing of? Is it your God?”
Mara Zucaro
Civus

Post by Mara Zucaro »

Mara bristled at the though that this human saw her as a damsel in distress. For once though, she heeded the little voice that admitted she had needed the help and let the comment pass.

"Well, that depends on who you ask." Mara replied to Vernon's question. "The priestess that taught it to me said that the lady was the Mother creating the Earth and the dancer was the Father come to explore the new creation." Mara paused a moment to take a sip of ale. "I've come to believe that the lady is the Mother but the dancer is more likely Pan spreading joy and wildness across his parent's creation." Mara explained. "Though there are days that I like the image of the Father dancing." She smiled slightly.

"When I heard the name of the tavern, I'd hoped to find some kindred spirits here." Mara admitted. "Do you think I will? Worshipers of the Father were few and far between in the Mouth." She commented before digging into her stew.
Guido Cercatoro

The giant woodsman looked thoughtful as Mara explained her song and religious affiliation. He grasped his mug of ale and took a deep mouthful, wiping away the foam from his lips as he set the drinking vessel back down.

“So you follow the Father, do you? How interesting. Many of the gnomes here in Pax worship the Father but not so many humans or achadhiel. How do you come to worship your God? It must have been difficult for you in the Mouth. Were you forced to flee to Pax? Or, is there more than brings you here?” The questions were delivered in a quiet, friendly manner but it was clear that Vernon was intent on probing his new acquaintance for details of her background.

The red-bearded gnome put his package down on the bar. Whatever was inside was humming and ticking quietly to itself whilst the gnome paid for the ale he had ordered. The two elderly gnomes continued to make adjustments to their strange device which appeared to consist of a haphazard arrangement of cogs and wheels all rotating at different speeds and in different directions. A series of levers also stuck out form the edifice and one of the gnomes was pulling and pushing them in turn. As each failed to do what he had hoped, he shook his head. His companion tugged on his long grey beard.
Mara Zucaro
Civus

Post by Mara Zucaro »

"I spent a great deal of time and effort to stay in the Mouth as it happens." Mara turned her head at the ticking sounds coming from the package on the bar then turned with a shrug. "Somebody had to stay and support the others in hiding or trapped in wage slavery." Mara took a long pull from her mug and dropped in on the bar with a loud thud. "But with the death of the Magisters things got too crazy. None of us realized just how much they kept in check." Mara tucked into her stew with relish.

"So I came out here," she continued around mouthfuls. "I hoped to find some friends that were rounded up and taken here and see if this place really was somewhere we could worship the gods in peace." Mara looked over to Vernon. "Do you know the people around here well? I am looking for my old mentor named Lasswen and a friend of hers named Nyrellon."
Guido Cercatoro

The woodsman’s eyes flickered with surprise as Mara mentioned the two names. It was not immediately clear which of the two he had recognised but at least one of the names had stirred some interest.

“Tell me a little more about these two persons you mention and why you seek them out,” said Vernon slowly, stroking his chin as he spoke. “I do know most of the people of this town. Perhaps I can help.”
Mara Zucaro
Civus

Post by Mara Zucaro »

So he knows one of them well enough to be protective. Or suspicious. Mara stalled with another sip of ale. Do I dare trust you, Vernon In truth Mara had little more to reveal than what she had already shared.

Mara lowered her ale mug back to the bar. "Lasswen was my teacher and a close friend. She was a scholar and a teacher and followed the teachings of the Father. When the orders for expulsion came and the Purificato searched the city, she stayed behind to join the resistance, a gang called the Black Heart. I was part of that gang." Mara fluffed out her hair on one side so that it covered her pointed ear. "I could pass for human you see so I could deliver messages and such out in the open. I became her lookout and then her student." Mara ran her hand back through her hair and tucked it behind her ear.

"While I was out scrounging up some food, the Purificato caught her." Mara fell silent for a flicker. "I tried to carry on her work but then the vendettas came and the Mouth went crazy." Mara swallowed thickly and downed the last of her ale. "Before she was taken, Lasswen tried to convince me to leave the city for Pax. She said her teacher Nyrellon was here already and if I mentioned Lasswen's name that she might help me settle in." Mara swung around on her stool to look at Vernon more fully. "Now please, do you know where I can find them?" She asked softly.
Guido Cercatoro

The woodsman’s eyes never left Mara as she explained her relationship with Lasswen. When he replied, it was in a soft, quiet lilt.

“I may be able to help. I have some business to attend to. Meet me at the Stone Cube in the main square early trade tide and I may have news for you.” The woodsman said nothing more, merely downing his ale in one gulp. “Now, unless there is anything more I can assist you with, I will be on my way.”

The red-bearded gnome had left his package on the bar and wandered over to the two gnomes in the corner, offering his advice on the problem that they were having with their device. The package continued to hum, vibrate and tick ever more loudly.

(OOC: post tothis thread if you wish to meet Vernon)

Post by Guest »

Malocan had taken the guard's words on board about the taverns earlier, but rather than going straight to Tuirdhiel’s Tavern he had decided to go tavern-hopping to get a feel for the town. Thus, he found himself outside the Father's Grace within a short period of time, peering into the bizarrely-constructed place. He stood in the entrance for a moment to take his bearings and make some sense of the place's interior, his few possessions still hanging from a sack on his back. The sword on his hip and the harp nestled next to the sack, hanging from a separate carry-strap, were the only things not in the sack.
Guido Cercatoro

From his vantage point in the entrance to the tavern, Malocan could see that the internal structure was just as eccentric and unusual as its outward appearance.

The main room of the tavern contains a haphazard array of tables arranged around a central bar. To one side of the room stands a small stage, whilst several archways, corridors and doors lead off in all directions to a series of smaller rooms of different sizes, shapes and height. The whole tavern has the feel of a place that has grown organically, as if it were a plant spreading out across its environment.

The tavern was relatively sparsely populated. In one corner, two gnomes could be seen tinkering with a strange looking device. A third red-bearded gnome stood close by, hands on hips apparently offering advice whilst a golden-eyed achadhiel sat at a table close to the stage slowly eating a plate piled high with various foodstuffs.

Behind the bar Malocan could see a gnome with a long, jet black and well-groomed moustache busying himself polishing glasses. A large package making a loud ticking noise sat on top of the bar. Close to the bar, a brown-haired female achadhiel was deep in conversation with a tall human clad in the typical garb of a hunter or woodsman.
Mara Zucaro
Civus

Post by Mara Zucaro »

"Good day to you Vernon." Mara nodded a farewell. "I hope your business goes well." No doubt he was heading off to report to someone. Mara had played that role of middleman herself many times in the streets of the Mouth. He was either heading straight for Nyrellon or Lasswen to check her story or off to the Pax Honestus to warn them about the troublemaker. She spoke a short prayer to the Father asking that he be the friend she barely dared to believe he was.

Mara lingered over her stew and looked to see if the achadhiel was still at the bar. Might as well meet the regulars if she was staying here for the nonce.
Guido Cercatoro

With a final polite nod to Mara, the tall woodsman left the tavern. The achadhiel who had recently arrived at the bar looked engrossed in his own thoughts and did not respond to the singer’s gaze as she set about finishing off her meal.

The ticking sound that emanated from the package on the bar continued to grow in intensity but the owner of the package was engrossed in his conversation with his fellow gnomes. A few wispy tendrils of smoke escaped from the side of the package closest to Mara. No-one else appeared to have noticed the smoke.
Mara Zucaro
Civus

Post by Mara Zucaro »

Despite living in World's Mouth, Mara had a very limited understanding of technology. Still even she knew that something that was ticking and on fire was probably a bad thing. So Mara hopped off the barstool and addressed the gabbling gnomes in a loud voice.

"Hey Jake! Red beard!" She called trying to get the new gnomes attention. "Should your package be smoking like that?" In hindsight, moving closer to the ticking package was a stupid thing to do but her focus was getting the gnome's attention and that is where they were.
Guido Cercatoro

Mara’s shout certainly attracted attention, as suddenly all eyes in the tavern were on her. However, no-one appeared perturbed. Indeed, Jake merely had a twinkle in his eye and a quiet smile on his lips.

The red-bearded gnome strutted over to the bar. “Well you needn’t shout so loud,” he admonished. He carefully unwrapped the package, wafting away the smoke with a flick of wrist.

Inside the package was a strange-looking device. It appeared to consist of two large plates of metal, one on top of the other and mounted on four small legs. To the back of the device was some sort of spring mechanism and a latch at the front held the two plates together. Smoke was seeping out from one side of the device. On the other side of the device was a small cylindrical object that was emitting the loud ticking. A small spindle of metal was moving slowly around the device. A pointer attached to the device was pointing to an area around the cylinder that was coloured red.

The gnome flipped open the latch and the device sprang open. The ticking stopped and the pointer remained still. Inside the device was what appeared to be a burnt piece of bread with rather pungent smelling cheese dripping out of the side.

“Damn timer,” muttered the gnome giving the cylinder a clip of his hand. He extracted the smoking, burnt bread before tearing off a piece and stuffing it in his mouth.

“Can’t stand cold cheese and bread,” he explained. “Fancy a bite?” He tore off another piece and offered it to Mara.
Mara Zucaro
Civus

Post by Mara Zucaro »

Mara just stood there nonplussed at the bar's lack of reaction and the red bearded gnome chiding her. She looked wide eyed at the strange device and took the offered bit of cheesy bread instinctively. "Sorry about the noise but back in the Mouth most packages on fire involve black powder." She shuddered at some of the stories she'd heard about that stuff.

Mara popped the toasted cheese in her mouth and chewed thoughtfully. The mixture of char and the strong cheese was jarring but she kept eating out of politeness. "Seems an awful lot of work just to heat up bread and cheese." She observed. "Why don't you just toast it over a fire?" Mara asked.
Guido Cercatoro

The gnome grinned. "That's what they all ask." He shot a disdainful look at the two gnomes who were still arguing in the corner.

"But where would we be if we took the easy option! Making simple things more complex is what progress is all about. And on top of that, it is a highly portable device. And very reliable and safe." The gnome pursed his lips. "Well apart from when it burns the bread to a cinder and catches fire. But even then, the faults are instructive for it helps me to learn how to improve the device. And who knows what other inventions may emerge from this simple thing."

The timer started ticking again. Frowning, the gnome bent over to inspect the cylinder. As he did so, there was a splatting sound and a lump of molten cheese which had adhered to the upper plate detached itself and landed on the top of his head. The gnome appeared oblivious to it and started prodding and pushing the spindle. "Perhaps the modulator has frazzled," he mused.

Jake meandered over and arched his eyebrows at Mara. "Most of his inventions are like this. But just on occasion..." He left the comment hanging in the air before moving away to serve a customer.
Mara Zucaro
Civus

Post by Mara Zucaro »

Mara just shook her head. If the Nashorn was even half like these gnomish inventors, it was a wonder that the Mouth did not burn to the ground long ago. The whole scale industry of her homeland never did sit well with Mara but it was hard to fault these gnomish tinkerers in the same way. Give humans technology and they come up with flintlock pistols and cannon. Give it to gnomes and you get burned sandwiches. The gnome's way seemed better.

"Um, you've got cheese on your head." Mara pointed out helpfully and offered the gnome a cloth from her pouch. "What is your name by the way? I'm Mara."

Return to “The Baron Estates Archives”