Sierran Portal Entrance - Chyril 27th MT

Moderator: Mods

Tristam

Sierran Portal Entrance - Chyril 27th MT

Post by Tristam »

Hall of Ages
Once through the grand gate, visitors often stared at the hall in mute wonder. This place was nothing short of impressive, large and aesthetically pleasing. Ahead, stairs lead to the base levels of each of the twenty three spires, and the rest of this place was like a museum.
Paintings, sculptures and such made up the more artful of memoirs, but all sorts of items reminding the wizards of their pasts have been put on display here. More toward the back, space has been reserved for those who wish to study.

Portal travelers stepped into the Hall of Ages through an elaborately carved marble archway only recently discovered to be an active portal. Though still impressive, the Hall of Ages would look off to any that had been here before. Antiques that were once always bathed in flattering light hid in shadows while unadorned support columns were now thrown into sharp relief by the light of the sun over Sierra.

Off to one side was a medium sized reception desk with a small counter. A thin man with gray hair sat behind it, and he gazed attentively at those that entered the Hall.

Specifically, the man behind the desk stared with shock and alarm at Aric's arrival and rose to his feet swiftly. In his hand was thin metal rod topped with a glowing blue crystal. To either side of him stood strong and competant looking young men in brown battle robes bearing drawn swords. "Who are you and what business have you with the University?" The old man demanded.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

The journey through the portal made the handsome young, Aric a little light-headed as he finally found himself standing in a large hall before numerous men, wearing brown battle robes. One of the men, holding an impressive looking rod, seemed quite alarmed by Aric's arrival, thus making the young man raise an eyebrow in curiosity. For a few flickers, Aric turned his blindly blond head to the left and then to the right, as he took in his surroundings, nose pointed high up in the air. He wondered for a moment if he had turned up in the wrong place, but clearly the enviroment told another tale. This was indeed the University of Magick, but something felt a bit off, and Aric couldn't place his finger on it.

Knowing that it was best at this moment in time to stay where he stood, and not venture in any further, the man slightly bowed his head and forced a polite smile, "My name is Aric Dresden, and I have come here to become a student."

Calmly, Aric placed his leather backpack next to where he stood, and outstretched both of his arms, opening each palm to show that he had nothing to hide, "I express my most humble of apologies, it was not in my plans to startle anyone."
Last edited by Guest on Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"You do not visit the University in the calmest of times." The registrar informed him. "In fact, until your arrival we thought the Portal to be completely inactive. Clearly, it is able to receive visitors which is half the battle anyway." The registrar gestures with the rod and the battlemage's that flank him lower their weapons and take a step or two back.

"Well you have successfully arrived at the University of Magick but it may surprise you to learn that you have not arrived on the island of Citadel." The registrar continued. "An unknown magickal accident had moved the entire University across the isles and plunked us down on an jungle isle unknown though the small town in the distance leads us to believe that this is the isle of Sierra. Things are rather in disarray at the moment, but come with me. This is still a University and new students must still be processed."

The registrar led Aric over to his desk. A wave of his hand unrolled a parchment scroll and a second gesture caused a quill to leap into an inkwell and then poise itself over the scroll. "Now, what course of study were you hoping to pursue here and what skills relevant to the study of magick have you learned?" He asked.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Aric cast his dark eyes upon the registrar, focusing in on his words. It came as a shock to the young man to hear that they were not in the Citadel, but in a jungle area, known as the Sierra. Slightly annoyed, Aric looked down to his backpack and picked it up, placing it back over his left shoulder. He had read about the Sierra before, and it didn't strike his fancy one bit. In fact, Aric placed it on his unseen list of places not to visit. However, he did arrive at the university and that was one place he had always dreamed of ending up, so he decided that he wasn't going to complain. With another look to his surroundings, Aric noted that the hall wasn't quite as impressive as he had expected. Shrugging this thought off mentally, the attractive young man placed his nose back into the air, and turned his attention back to the registrar.

Allowing himself to be led away from the portal, to a nearby desk, Aric found himself becoming more and more curious to this battle, the man had mentioned. An accident that had moved the university to such a wretched place intrigued Aric, and he began to wonder who had done such a powerful thing. He knew that he had to seek out this person, whoever he or she was.

"Now, what course of study were you hoping to pursue here and what skills relevant to the study of magick have you learned?"

Knowing full and well that it would be foolish on his part to suggest that he wished to learn about the dark arts, Aric simply grinned and replied, "Actually, I was hoping to study in everything you had to offer. My reasoning behind this is simple, for I wish to become well educated and I have a thirst for knowledge. Something that got me quite a bit of ridicule as a child, but has obviously never swayed me. I am a very patient man."

"The skills that I currently possess are currently at a pretty basic level," Aric continued, pleased that he was talking all about himself, a favorite subject of his, "I have dabbled a bit in alchemy, inner calm and demon and darkness lore, skills an old friend of mine mentioned would be good starting points."
Last edited by Guest on Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Another one that wishes to learn everything." The registrar smiled. "An admirable goal but in time you will find that the simple reality of a limited lifespan will lead to specialization." The quill recorded Aric's list of training as well as other notes in a shorthand of the registrar's devising. "Ordinarily I would press the point and ask you to narrow it down a bit so as to better match you with an evaluator but with the faculty occupied with a full University inspection, I'll have to see who is available."

The registrar turned to consult a large square of parchment on the wall. Written on it was a elaborate grid filled with names. As Aric watched he could see that the writing shimmered and shifted as the names erased and rewrote themselves elsewhere. "Professor Pralix remains within his alchemy tower. He can process your initial evaluation and discuss the matter of enrolling and payment if you pass the initial tests."

The registrar made a curved motion with his hand and a ball of yellow light appeared before him. A sending motion with left hand rolled up the scroll and sent it into the center of the sphere. "Have you any questions or concerns before I send you for testing?" The registrar asked.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Quite pleased that things were going along rather smoothly, Aric brushed back a strand of blond hair and watched the parchment on the wall with great interest. He had seen magick before, but it felt a little different this time around for the young man, because he knew that he was finally getting the opportunity to learn it all. Aric knew that in order to learn all there was to magick, it would take many yahren and perhaps more than his lifespan to accomplish, but the thought alone was nothing to sway him. He would find a way to accomplish it or die trying, it was as simple as that.

With a straight face, the young man listened to registrar speak of this Professor Pralix. Aric hoped deep down, that this professor would know about the dark arts and would be willing to teach him. The question was, how would he bring about such a topic in conversation without arousing suspicion. The truth of the matter was, where there was talk of dark arts, there would always be suspicion lurking nearby. However, Aric knew that he would have plenty of time to plot, so for now, he pushed these thoughts aside.

"Have you any questions or concerns before I send you for testing?" The registrar asked.

"Nothing comes to mind at the moment," Aric replied confidently, "I am ready."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

Post by Viviana Kaleyis »

The trip itself was both exhilarating and terrifying. She flew with breathtaking speed, twisting and turning along a silvery path. Viviana had always wanted to know what it was like to fly; she supposed this was as close as she would ever come. She enjoyed the sensation until, just out of her line of vision, she perceived menacing entities observing her every move ... as if they wished to devour her, body and soul. Mentally, she shivered. Nobody warned me there was life in the portal, she thought. Do they even know? Of course they know. But if they told ...

Her thoughts were cut off as abruptly as the journey. With no warning, the young achadhiel found herself stumbling into a large hall. She immediately turned to look behind her and saw the portal shimmer out of existence. Curious, she stepped back through. Nothing happened. Did I really expect it to? She craned her neck upwards, observing the top of the archway, and then she carefully studied the sides. It looked quite ordinary. Who discovered portals and figured out how they work? she mused. Could I make such a monumental discovery myself?

Viviana turned back around and stepped through the archway, observing the rest of her surroundings. So this was the University of Magick. It was quite impressive, but she paid scant attention to the furnishings and other accouterments. Now that her initial curiosity was sated, thoughts of her private mission came flooding back. Are you here? she wondered. And if you are, will you even care? She moved her hand into the opening of her sideless surcoat, placing it over the ring that hung from a silver chain around her neck.

The ring was actually under her kirtle, where it wouldn't be noticed ... unless she took off her surcoat, of course. It nestled between her breasts, but the kirtle's bodice was tight-fitting, and her breasts were small. The ring stuck out so much it almost looked as if she had another, smaller breast in the middle. She chuckled at the thought, hoping no one would have to see that strange sight. And how would she explain it if they did? She could show the ring to no one. Not yet.

Feeling eyes upon her, she turned again and noticed a reception area off to the side. A man was sitting behind a desk, watching her. Standing behind him were two other men in brown robes. They looked like guards. Why do they need guards at the portal? she pondered. They are all sorcerers. Certainly they can hold their own against anyone ... or anything ... that comes through. Even those horrifying beings that live inside.

Trying to recall the manners Signora Bianchi had drummed into her, Viviana walked toward them, remembering to lift up the hem of her surcoat so she wouldn't trip. If she didn't make a good impression, they would probably turn her away. She noticed that one of the guards was adhiel. Is it him? No, he's too young. But adhiel look young for many yahren. It can't be him, though. There's no resemblance.

Despite the turmoil in her mind, Viviana executed a perfect curtsy as she reached the desk, just the way she had been taught. An abundance of golden brown curls tumbled over her shoulders, and she shook them behind her again.

“Hello, good sirs.” Her voice was a clear, rich alto, and she spoke with a confidence she wished she really felt. “My name is Viviana Kelayis. I'm here to learn magick.”

... And find my father, she added silently.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The guards stood a little straighter and their hands moved closer to their sword hilts. The elderly registrar moved a hand toward a wand capped with a blue crystal and then passed over it to grasp a steaming tea mug.

"Welcome, Miss Kelayis." The registrar intoned. He made a gesture with his free hand and a scroll of parchment unrolled itself on his desk. A second gesture sent a quill hopping into the inkwell and then onto the paper. She could see it write her name at the top of the page and wait expectantly.

"I do not know if the news has spread to you but you have arrived on the jungle island of Sierra." The registrar explained. "The University has relocated here under mysterious circumstances. However, we are still in the business of training magicians. You have come to the right, if not the expected, place." He assured her. "I have a few questions and then we shall arrange for you to evaluated by a professor. Please tell me what preparations you have made for a career in magic and what type of magics you hope to learn here." He instructed.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

The subtle defensive movements were not lost on Viviana. Her senses had been honed by several yahren on the street, where survival from day to day meant paying attention to every nuance of her surroundings. Her free hand itched for one of her daggers, although she knew the odds of a young woman carrying a trunk under one arm weren't very good against three trained mages. Not to mention that her knives were currently unavailable, packed into that very trunk. The only article that hung from the belt she wore over her kirtle was the pouch that contained her juggling balls, and they certainly wouldn't be of any help. She supposed she could swing the trunk if she absolutely had to. What am I thinking? she berated herself. If I make a move against them, they will certainly turn me away... that is, if they don't kill me first. Perhaps this is a test of some kind?

The tense moment passed quickly. She relaxed a bit as the old man reached for his tea. Apparently he had decided she wasn't a threat. Or I passed the test, if indeed it was one.

"Welcome, Miss Kelayis." The registrar intoned.

Viviana curtsied again, and set the trunk on the floor beside her.

He made a gesture with his free hand and a scroll of parchment unrolled itself on his desk. A second gesture sent a quill hopping into the inkwell and then onto the paper. She could see it write her name at the top of the page and wait expectantly.

The young achadhiel stared at the moving quill, fascinated. Is he moving it with his mind, or is there some other force at work? She leaned a bit closer to get a better look as she listened to the registrar speak. She sensed a slight distortion in the air, a feeling she was rapidly learning meant that magick was being used. It had been particularly strong right before she had entered the portal.

"I do not know if the news has spread to you but you have arrived on the jungle island of Sierra." The registrar explained. "The University has relocated here under mysterious circumstances. However, we are still in the business of training magicians. You have come to the right, if not the expected, place." He assured her. "I have a few questions and then we shall arrange for you to evaluated by a professor. Please tell me what preparations you have made for a career in magic and what type of magics you hope to learn here." He instructed.

“I came from the Citadel, sir,” she said, “so of course I know it has moved.” She had even seen the emptiness and gaping holes where it had once been, since it would have been hard to believe if she had not seen the proof for herself. She had been forced to change her plans quickly and make arrangements to travel through the portal instead of simply walking as she had originally intended.

She had not quite wrapped her mind around the idea of Sierra, though. The lifelong Citadel inhabitant had no experience with jungles. For some strange reason, an image of herself swinging from vines came to mind, like the drawing of a monkey she had once seen in a book. She could hardly wait to explore it though.

She thought for a moment before she answered the old man's question. “I was not aware you could prepare for magick, sir," she said, looking him straight in the eye, "but I feel that my most important qualifications are the willingness to learn and the ability to tackle problems with both intelligence and logic. I can also push away any interfering thoughts so that I can better concentrate on the task at hand. And I can sense the use of magick. It's like a ... a tingling ... in the air. Sometimes I can almost see it.

"What would I like to learn?" The identity of my father, but I can't tell you that now. “I think exploring a broad spectrum of magick would be best at first,” she said. “That way I can discover where my true talents lie. I have no doubt I will eventually specialize, but I would like to investigate all my options before I decide.”

Her gaze moved to the quill again, hovering in mid-air. “How do you do that?” she asked, her curiosity getting the best of her good sense. “Is it easy or difficult to learn?”
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"It is never possible to fully prepare for a life of magic," the registrar agreed, "but there are certain skills that prove useful." As Viviana described her skills the quill dutifully wrote down her words as well as some notes in the margin in a language she could not read. His gaze remained fixed on hers and the wuill wrote on.

When Viviana asked about the quill, the registrar smiled. "Over the years I've seen thousands of applicants to the University comes through this hall. Almost all of them see the scroll and quill move on their own and watch them with wide eyes." He smiled a little wider. "You, however, are among the select few that actually ask about them. The first in recent memory in fact." He added.

"The scroll is moved by a simple weave of air and earth." The registrar explained. "The weave is simple enough. By the time you are bound prentice to your master, you would be able to master it." He assured her. "The quill however is another matter. It is enchanted to write under its own power. That is as much art as skill. Whether you will find it easy or difficult I cannot say but either way you would find it challenging."

The registrar gestured to the scroll and it rolled itself back up. The quill hopped back into the inkwell. "Since you have no area of magic that interests you more than another, I shall send you for evaluation to Professor Pralix. He masters the Tower of Alchemy and so by necessity keeps abreast of everything. Have you any question before your evaluation?" The registrar asked.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

Viviana watched intently as the scroll rolled itself up. So this man does not mind my questions, she realized with surprise. I have always been reprimanded for asking too many, and yet he is now encouraging me to ask more. I think I'm going to like it here.

She smiled at the registrar. “Well, for starters ... how does the portal work? How did you discover it? Has anyone been lost when going through? What are those horrifying creatures that live in there? Do they ever devour anyone? Does it take a special kind of magick to operate it? Will I learn how to move objects with my mind? How about turning invisible? Will I learn that too? Signore Bianchi used to create magick balls of light. Do you use those for lighting or do you use candles like everyone else? Can balls of light be juggled? What language was your scroll writing in? Is it a special language of magick? Will I learn to read it? How many other students are here? Will I be taking classes or learning individually? How long will it take me to become an accomplished mage?”

She paused for a moment to catch her breath. The registrar's tea smelled quite pleasant. Inadvertently, her stomach rumbled.

“And when is it time to eat?”
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The registrar smiled slightly as the flood of questions issued forth. "Answering the last question first, the dining hall is open at all times of the day and night for it is most common for magicians to get wrapped up in their work and require meals at odd hours." He explained. "Magical instruction at the beginning level is provided in classes though advanced students often take them as well to branch into new areas or refine a technique. Once you have progressed beyond the basics and have entered an apprenticeship, instruction is then one on one with your master though as I said, classes are still open to you schedule permitting."

"How long it will take you to become an accomplished mage depends entirely on your natural talent, your diligence and your definition of accomplished." The registrar chuckled. "Weeks, months, years?" He shrugged his thin shoulders. "Who can say?"

"As for the rest, I think I shall leave something for your future professors to teach you." The registrar decided. "Though I would point out the candles on my desk for one answer and leave your guide as an answer to another." The registrar made a curling gesture with one hand and spoke a few words in a sibilant tongue. A ball of yellow light appeared before Viviana and with a another gesture from the registrar her scroll flew up and slid into it. The ball of light moved towards one of the exits from the room and then bobbed there waiting for her. "The ball will lead you to the Tower of Alchemy. Good day, miss."
Last edited by Tristam on Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

She wondered how it was possible to control a ball of light all the way to another part of the University. Do you have to visualize each step of the way so it knows where to go? Or does it somehow know the way on its own? She longed to ask, but she didn't want to make more of a nuisance of herself than she already had. And anyway, he had just dismissed her.

She curtsied again. “Good day to you too, sir.” Picking up her trunk, the young achadhiel walked over to the shimmering yellow light. She was rather apprehensive about the upcoming evaluation, but she didn't let it show. I assume they will test me for magical talent, but what exactly does that entail? And what if I have no talent at all? I can always go back to Signora Bianchi and carve out a niche for myself as a tailor or lace maker. It's not as if I'll ever starve again. But that is not what I want anymore.

She peered closely at the ball, trying to see her scroll inside. She felt the tingle of magick emanating from it. When she arrived here, learning magick was mainly a way to get inside the University and find her father. Oh, she wanted to learn the simple tricks that she had seen Signore Bianchi do, but she had never really considered magick as her possible profession. Now, however, she wanted to learn everything about it, experience it all, and see where it eventually led her. This is the first step of a long journey, she thought. One that I was always destined to make. I guess my father's blood truly runs through my veins.

“Lead on,” she told the ball of light.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “University of Magicks Archive”