Urgent News (Dray and Cragh, Chyril 27th, MT, campsite)

Moderators: Vanadius, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Craghley

Urgent News (Dray and Cragh, Chyril 27th, MT, campsite)

Post by Craghley »

OOC: A conversational piece between Draydis and Craghley, regarding the Islayer's recent talk with Laewin. Shouldn't require moderating (until archiving/skilling), except for determining the wet substance imparted to Craghley's kilt by Laewin.

[hr][/hr]
Craghley came marching into the campsite, straight from his little escapade with Laewin. His hand continually fidgeted with the empty flask he still carried around; he hand't wanted to risk losing that to the little 'girl'. Even now, thinking back, he shuddered to remember her embrace. And now the wet stains... dark, ominous stains, were an unsettling reminder. Of course he'd been wondering if it was blood and now, gingerly brushed a finger against it and raised it his nose to sniff at.

He went straight to general D`Anorre's tent to see if he was there, and called his name from outside.

"General D'Anorre! Are ye decent? Or... preferrably, present at all?"
Last edited by Craghley on Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

Strangely, the wet, red smears that Laewin had imparted to Craghley had not dried as might be expected. Consequently, it was easy to take some of the liquid onto his finger. As he sniffed, he sensed two competing smells. First, the charactersitic metallic odour of fresh blood. And second, a more unpleasant festering smell that he associated with that of a dead, rotting animal.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

The commander had been awake most of the night. He had gone hunting, as was evident from the bones that shared the dirt with the slightly smoking camp fire. He had also spent most of the night in meditation, trying to focus his thoughts and energies on the perils of the land. The Mother had told him there was a sickness here. But, the guardsman had wanted to try and see if he could somehow connect with the source of that sickness.

From the side, Craghley heard a familiar voice.

"Well met, my friend, and good morning to you."

The commander stood from a shallow hole that he had dug into the ground. It was long, wide, and deep enough for his body to lay flat and just below the surface of the ground. Several branches and many leaves had masked his presence until he stood from where he had rested.

"When I camp alone, I find it safer to use my tent as a decoy for would be predators. I feel like I've worn my welcome here thin with many, and suspect that some of them would prefer my elimination."

The commander smiled at the one that was his lieutenant, but more importantly, his friend.

"What brings you my way, Craghley?"

The commander stretched before adding a few pieces of wood to the fire.

"I was successful in a hunt last night. Care for some food?"

He pulled a few pans from his pack before bringing two rabbits from his tent. They had been field stripped of their innards, and were ready to cook. Once the flames sprouted up a bit, the rabbit and pan were introduced to the fire. Within a few flickers, the smell of the meat cooking filled the air.
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Craghley opened his mouth to jest about the general's paranoia, then reckoned it justified in this place, at this time. Should he start this as well? Bugger that, he'd stick to his wee shelter and all the warmth he could get.
At the mention of food, this particular thought process was derailed. Fruit and porridge was all well and good, but a little meat went a long way.

"I'd be honoured, sir. Could do with a touch of meat, thank'ee."

Craghley made himself comfortable by the fire as the meat was cooked, palms extended out to the flames.

"I cam to report, sir. Had a run-in with... something. Penth and I went into the nearby woods at daybreak and, thanks to him, managed to contact some sort of spirit. Looks like a wee bairn, a lassie, but certainly a malign craitur. Shall I tell ye all, sir?"
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

As the meat finished cooking, Draydis handed half of it to Craghley. "I apologize that I lack the spices that better cooks would have, but it's fresh meat at least."

He smiled and then listened intently to his friend talk about some sort of creature that he had met. "Aye...tell me all that you wish to share."

DMD Member since 2005
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

"All the same. If yer worried aboot quality, then ye've forgotten I grew up on a farm in Islay."

He tucked into the meat with gusto, tearing flesh off with his fingers and with sleeves uprolled to avoid grease stains. After a few appreciative bites, he got on with the report.

"Las' night, I joined master Synkaaros, Penth, gen... sorry, master Mael-Muire, and a new chap... fellow I've forgotten the nam of, sorry... anyhow, long story short, Penth decided tae try and find the lassie he'd keeked yesterday, Laewin. Because of all... this," and here Craghley gestured towards the general surroundings, "this blight, or curse, or what have you, I decided he could do with a wee hand. Well, we found her alright.
"Some sort of fae beast, she is. I cannae tell if it's because of her, but when I tapped the Wyrd - aye, a fine boon that the Mother has blessed me wi' - everything was so... distant. The way you feel the Wyrd like it is yer own flesh and blood, well it felt like my arm after I'd slept on it overnight. If that makes any sense. But one thing was clear - this Laewin has some sort of power thrae song, I think only if she has a persons' name. She froze Penth up when he tried tae leave, and she took some calming doon. And when I looked at her through the Wyrd, all I saw was hunger. A sinister hunger, something foul. You'd ken the type, I'm sure."

Craghley went back to work on the rabbit. Through mouthfuls he finished retelling the events.

"In the end, I had tae placate her. She took me pipe, and said tae return at midnight. Some sort of game she has planned. I tell ye, half of what's scary is knowing what it is you're standing next tae." He looked down at the marks on his kilt, conscious of the smell, unable to repress a shudder. "The other half is that she really seems like such a child."
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis listened to the story of Craghley with great interest.

"I have spoken with the Mother about the problems here in the land. I do not yet know what is the cause, but I have found several local youth that will hopefully help me to find the source of the land's ailment. The Mother is here with us, but She is distant...I believe due to Her focus on the problem here...or maybe because whatever is hurting the land is preventing Her from being here in full power."

He thought for a moment about the task at hand.

"How are things going with the Swordmark? They could be useful allies, but there are some with them that I believe are only out for personal power and gain. Regardless, they could be useful allies to help fix the problem here."

He shrugged.

"What is your next action in regard to this spirit?"

DMD Member since 2005
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Draydis wrote:"I have spoken with the Mother about the problems here in the land. I do not yet know what is the cause, but I have found several local youth that will hopefully help me to find the source of the land's ailment. The Mother is here with us, but She is distant...I believe due to Her focus on the problem here...or maybe because whatever is hurting the land is preventing Her from being here in full power."

"Aye, pretty much my thoughts." Craghley casually took one of larger hind bones and, breaking it in two, sucked out the marrow. He repeated for other suitably sized bones.
"We need tae solve that quick like. But no so fast we be tripping over oor own feet."

Draydis wrote:"How are things going with the Swordmark? They could be useful allies, but there are some with them that I believe are only out for personal power and gain. Regardless, they could be useful allies to help fix the problem here."

This caused the lieutenant to sit back and pause; he'd sussed out some tension had snapped between Draydis and the others, but he couldn't for the life of him ken the why of this possible distrust.

"Finer folk ane and all than I've had the honour tae meet. Well... cannae tell ye about the newcomer, but... your opinion is your right, sir, but I'd trust them wi' my life.
"I believe they're well underway on the job at hand, sir. So many loose ends flapping about... the suspect Oneists, incidents in the mines, this Laewin gel, not tae mention everything else. We all may be here fer quite some time."

Draydis wrote:"What is your next action in regard to this spirit?"

He scratched his head, finishing off on a bone. "Hard tae ken. I don't even know what she has tae do wi' everything else, like I said afore. But I'm no gonna let her run amock when I suspect she's been doing damage. She mentioned playing a 'game' with some folk night before last. Well, I'll try and talk to some of the locals - not directly, mind - and see wha' they ken, if anything about her. Prepare myself - try and get a new pipe exact like my old one, if I have tae try and fool her - and see her tonight."
Craghley mirrored the Adhiel's shrug.
"No' much else comes ate mind. So how's about these swanky laddies ye've garnered, sir? Dae I git tae meet them?"
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis listened intently to his friend talk. It was sometimes hard to follow Craghley's banter, but so long as Dray paid careful attention, he could understand the bulk of it.

"My encounter yesterday with the youth has left them with strong faith in the Mother. They were able to witness first hand the Mother blessing me with the ability to heal my opponent's wounds. Despite Her being distracted, She blessed me. It was an amazing feeling to know that I can heal with Her as well as harm. I've never healed another before." His face brightened dramatically as he spoke of the Mother's blessing. It was as if he were radiating Her power even now.

"I am going to meet with them today. It is my belief that these kids might know of some of the secret dealings in this area. They seem to be some of the local thugs, so maybe they have dealings with those that have non-public information. I will be finding out shortly. You are welcome to join me if you would like. I'd appreciate another set of eyes and ears to help figure out what is going on."

DMD Member since 2005
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

The rabbit entirely finished, Craghley bowed his head in thanks both to Draydis and the Mother for the bounty. But it was more Draydis' words which brought mirth to his soul - for a while he'd been worried that the General was too much a dealer of death, worried how it may affect the man. That he had healed himself in healing another, Craghley thawed some to his master.

"Keep your swords and keep your blood,
Keep your pain and be not raven's food.
Each cleft I cleave leaves carved my soul,
And but one thing can leave me whole;
To spare another this mortal pain
And let them once more roam all fain.

We know enough aboot bloodshed in Islay. The man who wrote that lost his wife tae a raid from another clan, but when he fooled his men past the offender's army to their village, could nae raise his hand tae tak the life of any ane of the clansfolk. Supposedly that was the end of hostilities 'twixt the two; of course, I donnae ken if it tale or fact, or who exactly was involved."

Draydis wrote:"I am going to meet with them today. It is my belief that these kids might know of some of the secret dealings in this area. They seem to be some of the local thugs, so maybe they have dealings with those that have non-public information. I will be finding out shortly. You are welcome to join me if you would like. I'd appreciate another set of eyes and ears to help figure out what is going on."

"Aye, I'd be glad tae. Guid tae see recruitment going sae weel. When are ye meeting them?"
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis listened to the story that Craghley told. "I have seen and handed out much death in my life. It is nice to know that wounds can be healed as well."

He shrugged when asked about the kids. "I told them shortly after first light. I would hope that they are heading this way now."

DMD Member since 2005
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

OOC: new thread for recruits or continue here?

[hr][/hr]
"That sounds about now, sir. I'll wait wi' ye in that case - give me time tae mull over my plans fer later."
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

OOC: I suppose we can continue here...though we need a mod now.

Draydis nodded. "There is much more going on in this place than what first appears. I am hopeful that these youth can help us to figure out the cause. There are many things in the world that I've seen strange lately. In Taquar, there were creatures that were twisted by some unknown force. In Dort, we saw how the once honorable and noble Hunter became twisted. Even here, we have seen how personalities seem to be on edge more than normal. I have even felt myself being a bit more aggressive than usual. There is truly something wrong with the world. Perhaps it all starts here?"

DMD Member since 2005
Guido Cercatoro

It was only a few burns later when the muscular achadhiel whom Dray had fought the previous day arrived at the campsite. He was accompanied by three other youths, all of whom had excited yet nervous looks on their faces.

The fighting achadhiel still had the same stolid, rock-like look about him that he had exhibited the day before. He had the same huge, gnarled hands; the same chisled features and the same deliberate manner of speaking. Yet, he appeared more serene and more at one with himself, as if his encounter with the Mother had fundamentally changed his inner being if not his outward appearance.

“We are here,” announced the fighter slowly, fixing his gaze on Draydis and then Craghley in turn.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis stood and smiled at the youth appeared. He extended his hand to greet each of them.

"Well met again, my friends." He looked back to Craghley and then again to the youth.

"This is lieutenant Craghley of the Emerald Guard, and I am its commander, though you may simply call me Draydis."

He looked to each of the youth. "If any of you have not yet had breakfast, I have a bit more rabbit and can cook it for you. Otherwise, please sit around the fire; we have much to discuss."

DMD Member since 2005
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

The appearance of these recruits gave Craghley cause for satisfaction and even, in the case of their apparent leader, a muted sense of wonder. The lad he presumed to be Calavis had good workers hands in addition to an enviable build; quite surprising for another achadhiel. Yet the calm youth who made his way towards them was not quite the same person he'd seen squaring up to the general but a day ago. Whatever Draydis had done to them - done for them - Craghley could tell it had been enough to make Calavis stop and think in the time between.

Craghley stood to greet the group - if they were going to bandy about military titles, may as well appear formal - with a nod. He thought of addressing the leader by name but decided against it - he could introduce himself well enough, and the others might consider it to be exclusion. To the remaining three he offered small smiles and a gesture to take up Draydis' offer of hospitality. He'd sit and listen for now, but this was the general's show and did not yet require much of him.

"Ay'd offer ye a real drink tae boot, but some thirsty beardkin drained me dry yesterday."

He remained standing and would sit once everyone else had made themselves comfortable.
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Post by Raevyn D`Altamooriana »

Hope ya don't mind the intrusion.

After eating a hearty breakfast of her own, one that was prepared for her at the inn, Raevyn set off to find whoever she could the following morning. The adhiel was well rested and her entire body felt fully invigorated after a well needed nights sleep in a bed.

It didn't take her too long to get to the campsite I hope to find the others. She probably wouldn't have to look too hard to find Draydis and whomever it was that decided to stick with him and the rest of the Guard. As far as Ulder went, well, Ulder was another story altogether. As well as Thrandil. Two people of which had shown what Raevyn felt to be their true colors towards her. Ulder seemed to be unforgiving, and Thrandil seemed to be opportunistic. Which really wasn't a bad thing in the assassin's eyes so except for when the gain came at her expense.

Draydis wasn't alone when she happened upon his makeshift site. You could take the wood adhiel out of the woods, but you could never take the woods out of the wood adhiel she thought as she neared. He should come to learn to appreciate the more finer, civilized aspects of life like she had. A bed at a nice warm inn, beat a campfire any day in her eyes.

The enigma that was Craghley was there as well. His motives were still not made clear to her, but he did seem to be, for the most part, a decent fellow. There were others too, which Raevyn didn't know that were there. She sized them up, like she did everyone before moving towards where Draydis was.

"Good to see that you have survived the night," Raevyn said to Draydis. The events after her departure from her failed ousting from the Guard were not known to her. "You also look well rested," she then said to Craghley.

Her attention then turned to the guests that were there. Raevyn was never really one that could be considered tactful, now wouldn't be any different as she spoke as if they weren't even there.

"Who are they," she asked without as much as a second glance. From the looks of the rough and tumble bunch they were either locals, or possibly some of the other people that traveled through the portal with them that she didn't bother to take notice of.
The fiddler fiddled his violin which smelled horribly like fresh afterbirth boiled in cabbage.

© Marta @ www.marta-dahlig.com
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis smiled when Raevyn showed up at the campsite. He was not too terribly surprised at her attitude towards the youth, and hoped that she would remember that her tenure in the Guard had been spared on the condition that she would behave better.

"Welcome, Raevyn. Please, sit. I was just making introductions with our friends here, and then I am going to explain why we are all here. I am certain that some of this may be of great interest to you. Besides, we could use your particular talents."

He knew that she knew exactly what he meant by talents.

DMD Member since 2005
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Raevyn took a seat beside the commander and looked at the new arrivals. Whatever Draydis' plan for them was not really a care or concern for her. Judging by the looks of them they would probably amount to be not much more than fodder should things get a bit rough.

The dark priestess would also have something to add if she felt that the information that Melissa had given her was relevant to what Draydis spoke of.

"With all due respect commander, I am certain that these young men can properly introduce themselves to me before we begin." A polite grin formed on her lips. Which usually meant that Raevyn was up to something.
The fiddler fiddled his violin which smelled horribly like fresh afterbirth boiled in cabbage.

Guido Cercatoro

The muscular youth and his companions all shook Draydis’ hand and acknowledged Craghley’s greeting before they squatted down by the fire. “I am Calavis,” said the fighter, still speaking in a slow and deliberate manner. The other youths introduced themselves as Paradis, Nemon and Queleron but declined any food. They all appeared disarmingly young and eager, perhaps still awed by the events of the previous day when the Mother had healed the stricken Calavis.

As the group settled down by the fired, the Dark adhiel arrived. Calavis regarded the newcomer carefully but nodded a perfunctory greeting before grunting his name: “Calavis." Somewhat nervously, the other achadhiel followed suit before looking expectantly at Draydis.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis waited until all the introductions were made. He then closed his eyes and tuned his thoughts to the Mother and the problems that She had asked him to help fix. He prayed that the Mother would allow each around the circle to know of Her pain and of the blight on the land. A quarter burn later, he opened his eyes and spoke.

"The Mother asked me yesterday to help Her fix a problem with the land. There is something killing it." He looked at the dying tree in the distance where he had practiced throwing his knives just the day before...

"That tree over there is but a fragment of the proof that there is something terribly wrong here."

He looked to each of the youth. "When I saw you yesterday, I had a feeling that you would each be able to play a critical role in helping to fix this problem. You know by now that the Mother is here with us in this place, as She touched each of you yesterday."

The adhiel smiled at them each. "I appreciate each of you coming."

His expression turned a bit more serious then. "I have seen creatures of the forest turned into twisted demons. I have seen a great Hunter turned into a creature of darkness. Craghley bore witness to that one as well a few nights ago when we ended its evil reign. Even here in Pax, people are on edge, there is fighting, and there is something dark at work. I believe that the problem with the land and its people is all one in the same."

He looked to each one as if trying to read their thoughts.

"The first step in figuring out what is going on here is to gather information. What do each of you know about people in this place, strange things going on, secret meetings, organizations, and changes in the land?"

He then waited for each to speak.

DMD Member since 2005
Guido Cercatoro

As Draydis prayed to the Mother, he once again had the feeling that something in the very fabric of Pax made it difficult for his God to wield her powers without great exertion. Yet, he still felt reassurance, as if the Mother was lending her follower whatever support she could. The achadhiel bent their heads in prayer and also appeared reassured by their newly found faith.

It was the youth called Paradis who responded first to Draydis’ questions. “There have been many strange events in this town, it is difficult to know where to start. It began with the walls and the wolves. The engineers who arrived here with first settlers made plans to build a wall around the town. Yet, they had scarcely begun when, overnight, the wall you now see appeared. Since then many of the buildings of the town have changed into a combination of timber and the same stone that the walls are built from. “

The youth paused before continuing. He was a small wiry, smooth skinned achadhiel who spoke in a surprisingly cultured voice. “But it is not only the structures that are strange, so are some of the people of the town. Indeed, from what I can gather, several have just appeared here overnight. You might want to ask Melissa in the gate tavern about an achadhiel who appeared there one day. She doesn’t like to talk about it.”

“There’s also the strange fellow that runs that so-called inn Annuir,” interrupted the dark-haired Queleron. “He is great friends with the businesswoman, Kaelara Mentahn. Perhaps she knows more of these events you describe.”

“I spoke to this man, Seth, once,” said Nemom, a straw-haired fey looking boy. “He appeared to think that this place was called Selderine and not Pax. Either he is mad or knows something about what is going on here.”

“The historian, Ressatrix has been asking around about Selderine,” said Queleron. “They say he has been researching the history of this valley. Perhaps he may be worth speaking to. And the Provost, of course. I suspect he knows more than anyone about what is going on. “

“And then there are the wolves,” continued Paradis. “A number of guards have been brutally murdered at night. It is claimed by wolves. But if it was wolves, why would they only attack the guards? The authorities must be worried. Why else would the army commander arrive here?”

There was a lull in the conversation as the youths awaited further questions.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Melissa..? I must speak to her again, in that case. Blast, but I did not want to bother her with irksome questions about her troubles. Nor do I wish to upset her. But that shall wait for now.

Craghley trusted that these youths were speaking truth about the appearances of people, buildings, and murderous beasts. Some of these people would need speaking to in addition to Melissa, if he could find them.

"The Oneist army commander has arrived here?" Craghley asked, a little incredulous. "How serious hae these attacks been-"

He looked once more down at his almost certainly bloodied kilt. No, those were wolves attacking the guards, not little girls. But then, what was Laewin in any case?

What was Faldor?

Guido wrote:We tried to play a game with a man last night but he didn’t want to play. We taught him a lesson.

"Ay... donnae suppose any guards were attacked las' nicht, were they?"
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Indeed all of those mentioned would need to be talked to. The quickest way would be for them to split up into teams.

"I appreciate your information, each of you." Draydis smiled at the youth in turn.

"What does everybody think about splitting up into teams so we can research each of these leads with a bit more depth? We could each take this day to do our best to find out information and then meet back here at night to discuss what we found. Of course, anything we find or procure along the way will be split between us all as payment."

The wolves were of the highest interest to Draydis. He felt that the changes in the creatures of Taquar, Dort, and now in this place were all related. The question remaining was, how were they related...

DMD Member since 2005
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Raevyn answered finally, after wrestling with the thought of telling what she knew. Or the parts of it that she felt like sharing. To Raevyn most of what she had heard didn't pertain to what she was here for originally. However when Draydis came up with the idea to split up, she was compelled to speak.

"That would not be the wisest of ideas I am afraid to say," she retorted. Her answer wasn't one to try to show him up, or to disrespect his idea. It was just a bad one in her opinion. One that she would really be against.

"The wolves that you spoke of," the assassin then said, "I think I may know how they are getting here." It had to do with what she had heard from her conversation the previous night at the inn. Splitting up would surely prove disastrous for the group. Especially one that consisted of so many untrained fighters.

"There is magick here, fowl magick," Raevyn went on to say. "Magick that I would relate to that which was in Taquar not too long ago. If we split up Sir," she said to Draydis, "then we might as well kill those gathered here where they sit now and save them from a far worse fate."

Her words had a solemness not often expressed from the adhiel. It may have come off as compassion to those that didn't know her, yet those that knew, knew that Raevyn was far from compassionate.

"If anything", Raevyn said with a touch of reluctance now to her voice. "We would be wise to seek the aide of ..." Damn she hated this. After her fallout yesterday the fact that she was uttering his name now was a bit sickening.

"We may have to go to Ulder and his men regarding this affair. If we are to be successful, then I see that is perhaps the only option that we have."

Return to “The Baron Estates Archives”