Out for a Drink (Chyril 27th MT)

Moderators: Meridiuz, Grey Wolf, Graves, Mods

Yelena Kintessia
Civus

Out for a Drink (Chyril 27th MT)

Post by Yelena Kintessia »

After receiving the meeting arrangements from Aerin, Yelena was quite pleased with herself. It was internal though, because the girl still looked as calm as ever. Without trying to keep Krys waiting she hurried back.

“I'm sorry, we can go now.” She was curious as to what she would be doing with Krys, but from what the guard described about the day before it was probably just to relieve some sort of stress. It was also possible that she had some stories or information that would help somehow. I will just have to wait and see...
[size=75]"All days are nights to see till I see thee, And nights bright days when dreams do show thee to me." - [i]Shakespeare[/i]
Avatar by Finn! (She's zomg amazing)[/size]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The path from the gate which Krys took lead towards the docks, the female guard moving slowly towards the favorite harbor dive Ha'Penny Mermaid. "So, you want to be a Companion, do you? Putting aside the fact that most of them were glorified whores and man-whores, and without meaning to insult you just yet, I am curious as to why you want to be a Companion? Why would you want to dedicate yourself to being pretty and pleasing and polite for others?" he cast a glance at Yelena raising a brow questioningly, as she added. "The Guild seems to have persistent enemies. This is the second time someone tried to destroy it, though before it was larger and yet it still crumbled under pressure."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Yelena Kintessia
Civus

From the way that she put it, Yelena was beginning to believe that the companionship profession - well if it could even be called a profession, had a different connotation here in the Citadel. But even so, it would allow her to learn things about the world and expose herself to many different people. “I suppose the reason is for my own growth, to learn about the world and see many different things. Whether it is good or bad. And I was not aware that the guild had enemies, but I'll take your word. Is there a particular reason why?” Yelena paused for a flicker before remembering an obvious reason. “Besides the fact that it is a companion's guild?”
[size=75]"All days are nights to see till I see thee, And nights bright days when dreams do show thee to me." - [i]Shakespeare[/i]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Krys had rather strong beliefs and she tended to stick with them, voicing them out loud to other even when they did not want to hear it, sometimes taking pleasure from the torment it caused. With Yelena she tried to curb that drive, but it was not easy to change one’s ways so swiftly, and so mean comments kept slipping as her weary mind lost its focus. “Well yes, I suppose you could look at it like that. Still, I am not sure it would be a life for me. You may have noticed I am not the best person to talk to.” She chuckled, and nudged Yelena in the ribs with her elbow. “As for why they had enemies, I think it was greed and jealousy. At least with the old Guild. They were quite powerful and some people did not like it. Maybe they wanted the power for themselves, and the Guild did not share, or maybe the Guild was simply in their way. Imagine the power you could have if dozens of educated young people whom you taught were living with wealthy and powerful patrons. They would learn all sorts of secrets and if they shared them with you…..”
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Yelena Kintessia
Civus

The nudge was a bit unexpected, but Yelena had her attention focused on the rest of what Krys had to say. “That person would be very influential then, am I correct?” Yelena began to see a hint of the danger that she would go into if she were to make way into the Guild. After a flicker she added a few more words to her last, “That person would also be a target...” So Ashari was most likely already very prominent around the Citadel.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

In a way being sleepy was actually a good thing with Krys, her mind working sluggishly and making her focus on the conversation instead on lingering upon all the past wrongs she had suffered, that actually turned her into such a nasty individual. “See? That is what I am talking about. And if he is a target than the students of the Guild would be targets as well. Little better than pawns and slaves that would change hands as the Guild changed hands. Do you truly want to not only be little better than a whore, with a Guildmaster as a fancy pimp?” She shrugged again and hummed. “If you really wanted to learn secrets you could become a scout or something. Maybe work for City Guards and infiltrate one of the gangs. You would not have to be nice to old and ugly man that way.”
Yelena Kintessia
Civus

Yelena tilted her head at Krys in a bit of bewilderment. “I don't really know if becoming a member of the City Guard would suit me at all.” Thinking to herself, she concluded it would probably be better to be treated well by old ugly men than to subject herself to the ways and dealings of the Citadelian gangs. Despite the persuasion, Yelena was clearly intent of becoming a Rose. She did not want to give it now that she was already here. “And wouldn't dealing with a gang be equally dangerous?”
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

They were just down the street from the Ha’Penny Mermaid, they easy and relaxed walk making the trip take longer than it could have been done were they in a hurry. “Suit yourself, I am just saying you have other options. Don’t have to be an old man’s plaything. Or old woman’s plaything for that matter.” She shrugged, and chewed her lower lip. “Well, true. Infiltrating a gang would be dangerous, but you would not have to be docile and behave like a sheep. Besides, we can’t all be Companions, can we?” He stopped and waited for Yelena to look at her. “I am not nearly pretty enough and this scar don’t make it easier to find company.”
Yelena Kintessia
Civus

Yelena looked over to Krys after noticing her abrupt stop. “You do bring up a point, I suppose.” She tilted her head slightly after the words, noticing that they were actually kind of mean. Yelena hoped Krys would not take offense. There was one thing that she wanted to ask Krys. It didn't have to do with companionship or the Citadel but rather Krys herself. “If I may ask, why did you decide to join the City Guard?”
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Even if she saw the potential barb in Yelena word, Krys did not react, merely shrugging and starting to walk once more, shrugging at the question, and falling silent for a couple of flickers. "It was either that, or become a whore, or join a gang and be a bitch to one of the big boys in the crew. This seemed like the best solution, and frankly I like lording it over sorry little bastards that come through the gates or do something that could land them in Gaol." Turning to her companion, the scarred guardswoman grinned and winked. "Yup, I'm a real nasty bitch. Whatcha gonna do." They reached the door of the Ha'Penny Mermaid and Krys held it open for Yelena stepping after her and guiding them to the nearby corner table. The slutty looking barmaid made her way to the table, smiling at Krys, and giving Yelena a good long appraising look. "What can I get ya." Krys glanced towards the bar and the burly man standing behind it. "A mug of ale and a glass of whiskey. And tell Bortis its for me." The woman waited for Yelena to order before moving off. "See, this here place was once a safe haven for every criminal and thief in this city. They kept it clean and we did not mess with them. Heck we even came here for drinks. But, ever since old Tom Crane was chased off and his little killer went into hiding, the place has become a dump. A real dangerous joint if you don't look out and don't wear a uniform. Bastards still fear the blue and Marshall's anger."
Yelena Kintessia
Civus

“A safe haven for criminals...” Yelena repeated after ordering herself a glass of whiskey and looking around once more. It was something she had not really drank before. The girl was curious about the citadelian underworld, because she liked learning about a city's happenings. “This Tom Crane, who was he?”
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The girl skipped off and brought them their drinks, Krys draining her whiskey in a single gulp, which made her scar all the more noticeable. While the skin around it flushed, the line remained pale and Krys' grimace as the fiery liquid burned its way down to her stomach did not help the effect either. "Old Tom. Well he was a gentleman to be sure. And he was also a crook, but he was old school. Everyone knew he was making money dishonest way and nobody could really prove it. A nice family man, always well dressed, with a smile and a nice word for all. You would never suspect he had his hands in prostitution, smuggling, even in extortion." The scarred guardswoman chuckled. "He would be so very polite and make you give him part of your money for protection. And he ran his business with style.Funny thing, when you think of it he made crime into a business. Sure, he cared about his people and those he did business with, and he could be ruthless when needed, but he was not malicious. He did bad things, and still he never was evil just for the sake of evil. He did what needed to be done, when it needed to be done, but he would not take a candy from a baby, like some of the lugs running operations in the city now would. And to think they are of his blood" Krys shook her head and took a sip of the ale.
Yelena Kintessia
Civus

After watching Krys down her drink, Yelena could not stop noticing the scar on the woman's face as she spoke about Tom Crane. The 'evil' in the Citadel now took a turn to the worst since Tom Crane was around. At least that's what Yelena could deduce. She took a sip of her own glass of whiskey, curious of the taste. It was extremely warm on her tongue, an interesting sensation and she blinked her eyes once in surprise. It was a bit strong. “If I may ask, how did you come about that scar?”
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

OOC: We are back to our regular programming

After downing her whiskey, the scarred guardswoman took her time sipping the ale, not feeling in the least disturbed by Yelena’s relative silence and quite happy to provide a short walkthrough of the city to the newcomer. “This?” She frowned for a flicker and then it turned into a grin. “It’s a funny story really, come to think of it. It’s been yahren since it happened. I was born in the city and grew up on the streets, and my best friend was Jem. We made a pact long ago that when the time came we would be each others first.” She smiled almost fondly, the nervousness and anger gone from her whole demeanor. “Well, when that evening came, I got delayed and was late to meet Jem. So when I came to the old Basilisk’s Stare Jem was already in and some boys were causing trouble. Jem knew how to sort them out, but there were three of them so I jumped in when the going went tough. One of the boys pulled a knife and in the scuffle got lucky, though it quickly ran out. We left him hollering for help, bleeding from his groin as we ran away, his friend trying to pull the dagger away.” The smile turned wicked, but remained there. “Dunno what happened to those three, but I know Jem was real grateful for my help. We made it for the stable in the Pat’s Ring and crawled up and got my wound cleaned up and stopped the bleeding. An’ then me and my mate Jemma made love and I can tell you it was a real treat even though both us girls were new to it.”
Yelena Kintessia
Civus

Yelena listened to Krys' story with much interest. She had always enjoyed listening to other people tell stories, whether about themselves, something they wrote, anything in general. As the Krys continued, Yelena caught each detail as well as she could. It was still a safe guess from her perspective that the Citadel was not exactly the safest place in the world. In that case she would have to know the right people, and hope nothing particularly bad happens. The last part caused Yelena to shift her gaze suddenly, first to the side then settling it onto the table. It reminded her of the past, something she was really trying to put away but it was apparent that she could not. She took a deep breath, regaining herself and attempted to avoid thinking about the past and what could have been. She came up with another good question though. “Where is Jem now?”
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The question Yelena picked was one that Krys did not relish answering, lines of sorrow forming on her forehead, the smile slowly fading away. “Last I heard she was living in Dort.” She shrugged and drained her beer in one long gulp, waving the waitress over for a refill. “Her old man was a bastard and he liked to gamble. And he was bad at it. So he got himself into debts. He owed the worst man he could. Mike Crane had him in his grasp and when he does you don’t get out easily.” Sorrow was slowly replaced with anger, as Krys drained her whiskey and got to devouring the beer in swift, energetic gulps. “Mike offered to forget about the debt if Jem worked for him, and the old fool accepted. Jem would hear none of it and since Mike did not take no for an answer he sent some goons to their home. Luckily she was out and saw them and ran to me and….” Krys sighed and rested her chin on the edge of the mug. “Well, I could not go after Mike so I helped her run away. She got to Dort and about half a yahren ago I heard she got married and was pregnant with some farmer there. I’ll go over one day and see her. Make sure she’s fine. But, right now things are too busy for me to take time off. Maybe next yahren.”
Yelena Kintessia
Civus

From Krys' body language Yelena seemed to ask a touchy question. It was a good thing though. At least Krys knew where Jem was. All Yelena got was a short goodbye and no way to keep in touch at all. It was reasonable however since Thea traveled a lot. She let out a half-sigh, breathing out of her nose. “Well, it is a good thing that you are able to go see her at least.” the adhiel said taking another sip of her drink. Putting aside her past, again, she realized when Krys mentioned she was busy. Most likely with her work as a Blue. “You said you were busy. With just your menial work, or is there something more specific?”
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

With two shots of whiskey in her and a nice well-filled mug of ale to keep them company, Krys started to relax some and stretched back across the chair, moaning as her joints popped into place. “And I’ve been busy working mostly. And keeping order in my neighborhood. Some kids got it into their head that they were a gang and were hustling up my neighbors, asking them for protection money. I gave a pair of them a good solid beating, but they keep coming when I am not around and I can’t find them. It’s been a couple of days since I slept through the night.” She frowned and then added. “That and the latest crap that has been flying around. Red Banner burning, and then the same happening to that Rose Guild thing. Both places were torched and we got no clue who did it. And then the killing in the streets the last night. Sergeant had some crazy bitch tear half his face off with her nails. He got her, but even if he pulls out he’s not gonna win no beauty contests. And he was so proud of his looks.” She sighed and drained the second mug, waving the girl over to get them another round.
Yelena Kintessia
Civus

The bit about the Red Rose Guild set off a little flag in Yelena's head. Ever since she saw it's remains she wondered about how and why it happened. Hearing about the guild and the Red Banner both brought down to rubble by flame made her wonder even more. “That was one of the first things I found out about after I passed through the gates. I went over to the exact area too.” The blond looked up to think for a flicker. “Is there a chance the two fires are related somehow?” Yelena looked at her hand and tried to imagine tearing a man's face off. The vision never came, but a little wince did. “He killed her? Why did that happen?”
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Were it not for the drinks, Krys may have known better than to blab her mouth like that, but she liked Yelena and saw little harm in talking to her. “Well seeing how both fires were planted, it is possible the same people did it, but I don’t think so. People say old Tom paid for the Guild to be opened and everyone knew Red Banner was Michael’s place. I think the guild was revenge for the Banner if the rumors about the source of the funding for the place are true.” Third round of drinks arrived and the maid left the pair to their designs once more. “But, that is only speclu…scuple… me thinking out ould.” The guardswoman’s speech was becoming slurred and she glanced at the drink in front of her thoughtfully. “Hey, Bortis, send someone to the gate and have them tell Sarge I am gonna take the rest of the day off. I don’t feel well enough to work.”

She turned to Yelena and grinned mischievously. “There, now you got me all to yourself. Lucky you.” She winked and took a sip of her drink before turning back to serious subjects. “Well, from what we gathered, the woman pulled Duncan’s dagger and tried to gut him, but he wore his armor like any guard should. So he pulled a sword and she jumped him and slashed at him with her nails before he managed to plant the sword in her neck.” She shuddered and shook her head. “I never seen such a mess. You would not think a person could do something like that with her nails alone, but that is what Sarge said and she had blood on her fingers alright. Tore his skin off, from scalp down to jaw. He’s lucky he lost only one eye, and we found his nose in her fist. We needed a nutcracker to open her hand and get the bloody thing out, though I wish we hadn’t. Messy as Nether.”
Yelena Kintessia
Civus

At this point in the conversation, Yelena truly wondered why Krys would let her know so much. Krys pretty much answered most of the questions that she asked. Was she trusted? She didn't know, but it did not particularly matter. Her body was warm, like her temperature increased last few burns, most likely caused by the alcohol. “The Citadel is pretty intriguing. Burning buildings, women tearing off men's faces, this place is lively isn't it?” Yelena was slowly coming to another conclusion, realizing she may be involved in the Citadel's underworld or something similar in the future.

“I think I'm done listening to what's happening around here. Some things I don't think I really want to know about or need to know about.” Yelena took another drink and shook before continuing. “Do you have anything else planned?”
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

“Yeah, one thing can be said for ol’ Cit, and that is that it ain’t boring. Even though it tends to be dangerous and nasty.” She grinned and tossed a few coins on the table, pushing herself up and then stumbling, her hand slipping down. She narrowly missed the edge of the table and collapsing into a heap at Yelena’s feet, her chin bumping against the other woman’s thighs. She broke into giggle, and then into a proper laughter, resting her head in Yelena’s lap. “Uhm, sorry. And think my plans just changed to include a bed. I don’t think I am fit for much else. And it seems like I’ll need a bit of help to reach it. Know anyone who would be willing to escort a drunk blond to her bed?” She fluttered her lashes with a big grin, obviously in a good mood, one of rare such moments for the usually nasty guardswoman.
Yelena Kintessia
Civus

Yelena was barely able to catch Krys as she slipped from the table. She tried to catch Krys' shoulders but her reaction was too slow. Her hands did not help at all. Krys' head landed with a thump on her thighs and then broke into laughter. Clearly drunken. “Let's get up then.” Yelena said as she started to lift Krys up. Her objective was to get the woman standing at least, so someone could help them. Yelena placed Krys' hand on table as she supported her from the other side.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Despite Yelena’s worries, Krys was able to hoist herself up quite easily, with some minor assistance fro the other girl, needing very little help to stand, swaying ever so slightly. Throwing her arm around Yelena’s shoulder, the guardswoman, waved good-by to Bortis and informed him of their plans. “Gonna head home for bed. Put the drinks on my tab. I’ll pay you next pay-day. You know I’m good for it.” Then she turned to Yelena and grinned. “Alright, I’m ready. Take me home and tuck me in.” She winked, her breath faintly smelling of alcohol and started for the door. “I live close by. A few hundred paces from here. Oh, and thanks. I should not have drunk so much so quickly.”
Yelena Kintessia
Civus

Yelena supported Krys as they walked to the door, also waving goodbye to Bortis. “A few hundred paces? That’s fine.” She opened the door and walked out with the guardswoman and started the first of the few hundred paces back to Krys’ home. “I want to ask you, why did you choose to meet with me and tell me those things?”

Return to “Inner & Outer Ring”