Down the Darkened Alleyways (Poor Quarter, Chyril 27 MET)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Haikan
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Down the Darkened Alleyways (Poor Quarter, Chyril 27 MET)

Post by Haikan »

"Follow me, I think I heard it was around here somewhere."

This section of Kings Court was home to many people who found themselves without a hope for the future. Many had lost all they owned due to taxes and now barely stayed alive with the scrappings of the rich. The stench of human refuge was every where. Nobody lived here out of their own free will. But the housing was cheap, and there was a strange bond between the citizens, born out of their poverty. Here neighbors helped each other out when they could, something no noble would ever consider.

As you walk through the streets you notice the drab buildings alongside the cobblestone road. The alleys are nothing but dirt, with refuge blocking the way here and there. The houses are mainly made of cheap wood, that once was painted.

Along the dark, muddy streets of the Poor Quarter they walk; Mikail and himself. They are in search of Friendly's Stables. Haikan was unsure as far as why Mikail waited so long before telling him he had a horse. He was even more unsure why the man's father knew Friendly. Even Haikan, a resident of King's Court, had never met him. What he did know was that it was in the Poor Quarter, and that was all. Trying his best to act casual, as if he belonged here, yet not for a second lowering his guard, he turns to Mikail and quietly directs him. "Keep your eyes peeled for someone who could help us out, and also, make sure to keep a close eye on your stuff," If this guy is really my brother, we sure don't take after the same person. He's so quiet and awkward.. Although he did say half brother, so expecting a twin wouldn't make much sense.

He led Mikail down one of the alleyways of the poor quarter, looking around for people that might be able to help, hoping that the two of them aren't offensive in this neighborhood. He turns to Mikail and speaks in a hushed voice. "Just make sure you don't cause any trouble this late in the eveningtide, and stay quiet. I don't suppose that would be much of a challenge for you Mikail." The young adhiel focuses on finding the stable, or someone who knows where it is. Along the streets, his eyes dart back and forth, hoping to find that someone.

"Friendly's Stables," He says, a bit louder, almost hoping somebody would overhear him. "...Where could it be?"
Last edited by Haikan on Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

There were several people out and about. Haikan and Mikail did garner a few strange looks, mainly because their dress was somewhat better than most of the people living in the poor quarter.

Some stared at them outright, some looked away, and some just ignored them all together.

“You lookin’ for the stable?” Haikan is somewhat surprised as a voice responds from the darker side of the street, next to an alley between a stone and wooden building, each in poor repair.

In that direction can be seen in the shadows what looks to be an older man with a single crutch sitting on a barrel. Form the distance; it appears the bottom part of his left leg is missing. He is wearing the tattered and filthy remains of what might have once been a uniform.
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail walked along quietly, for the most part looking at his feet, but occasionally he glanced around to put the surroundings in his memory. He followed Haikan closely, looking out for anyone who looked willing to help them out.

Mikail turned around as a man's voice answered behind them, watching Haikan jump in surprise. Wow, his life must have been hard.

Mikail looked at Haikan and thought to himself: I suppose I can't expect Haikan to answer for me.

"Yes, we are." As his eyes met those of the fearsome weathered looking man, he casually looked back down at his feet. I hope it wasn't burned to the ground or anything of the like... That would be unfortunate for me, and VERY unfortunate for the horses, not to mention Friendly. A calm look overtook his face. I'm sure that this man's tragic injury has no connection to the stables. I'm only being paranoid.
Last edited by Mikail on Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Alright! I'm willing to bet this guy knows where the stables are! Now I've just got to turn on the charm in order to get the information I need! Overlooking the shocking vision of this scarred and unpleasant grunt, Haikan nods, and maintains his composure as if this were any normal man he was faced with. It's well known by him that any sort of acknowledgment of hideousness in someone is likely to ruin any chance of getting what they have to offer. His face remains serious, his brow furrows downward slightly. He turns toward the poor beaten hoodlum, and in a deep, smooth voice- at least it's deep for him, about lower-middle range for a normal human- he responds.

"Yes sir, My name is Haikan, and my friend is Mikail Verida. We seek Friendly's Stables, we have business with him." The elf bows, and as diplomatic and inoffensive as he is able, he continues: "You see, his father is a rather good acquaintance of Friendly, and he pre-ordered an average horse. Of course there are no average horses at Friendly's so he took a fine one, and offered to pay accordingly, of course. Might you be able to assist us? Our dillema is that Mikail himself does not know Friendly, he is a friend of his father from before his time, I would assume."
Last edited by Haikan on Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail looks at his brother a bit resentingly. He's sure trying hard to be diplomatic. I wish he'd be a little more mellow in a place like this. Mikail speaks to him in a hushed voice:

"Perhaps the word friend is a little charitable. I am not certain, but it is possible that my father just knew how to reach Friendly. It doesn't seem so strange these days. After all, most of the T'aquarian villages near myself are in such economical ruin that a stable with healthy horses is a lot to expect. The horses at this stable are quite reputable, so my father decided it'd be better to pay by mail for me to get a horse here, rather than give me one to travel with that would likely collapse before I reached King's Court."
Last edited by Mikail on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Dammit Mikail, you've got to loosen up, a little colorful language isn't the end of the world... It's doubtable that Mr. Verida would know Friendly at all unless they were friends, or at least good acquaintances. Even Haikan, a practiced adventurer, who lives in this same city, doesn't know how to reach Friendly. He turns to his brother. "Relax, it's fine." And he returns his attention to the crutched veteran. "So can you help us?"
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

“Depends”, the stranger replies. “Come over here where I might get a better look at ya all.”

With his good leg, the man kicks what is obviously a small wooden box in front of him. The slight sound of several coins jingling together can be easily heard as he kicks the box. “Sittin here I sees and hears many things, though my’s memory is not what it once has been. “

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

He just wants money, then he'll talk. But can we trust him? I don't spend much time in this part of town, but I don't recall seeing anybody preparing for ambush. Typically his adventurer's eye can catch things like that, but he's still vigilant. Lending a confident smile to his brother, he changes his face to a Watch out, type of expression, and the elf slyly pulls three lance out of his tunic, making it quite hard to tell where in his tunic he pulled it out from. Upon doing this he presents himself with open arms, the coins in his right hand, and approaches the strange man. Should the man try anything, the adhiel was confident Mikail would handle it, and in case Mikail was inept in combt, his left hand itched to snatch his schlaeger. However self-control is second nature to Haikan, and even though he trusted this stranger less than a bloodthirsty Orc, he made himself appear trusting and harmless. Persuasion is the key here, the stranger just has to believe that he means no harm- and he does not in fact, mean harm. Despite Haikan's harmless intentions, this man did not look at all like one who trusted anybody, but in the Poor Quarter, money probably talks quite persuasively.
Last edited by Haikan on Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

After seeing Haikans grave expression, Mikail understands what he's thinking as his smile disappears. He taps his quiver with his left hand, ready to knock an arrow in an instant. He looks around meekly, and then closes his eyes, centering himself. He tries to push all the thoughts out of his head and focus hard on hearing anything out of the ordinary around him that might sound threatening. If I hear anything near that is visually concealed, then I'd better be prepared for the worst. This man doesn't look too dangerous, but as soon as we start showing money we might be targeted.
Last edited by Mikail on Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

The old man kicks the box again. “Yea, Old Rafelo means you yongins no harm. I see’s your kind before. Comin down here, thinking you knows a thing or two. Let me advise you, your lack of experience is obvious. Bolstering hides nothing. I see ya lookin, yet a dozen places you missed. So don’t go being all fired sure of yourselves, that un will get you dead. Just some free advice, I must to be slippin there you know.”

Kicking the box, old Rafelo coughs a couple of times. “Now ya was asking bout the stables?”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"But of course, my mistake."
What?? He saw right through my preparation... I can't help but feel he underestimates my sharp elvish eyes, but it's obvious that I underestimated him... I shall take this frightful blunder into consideration for the future, no doubt. I certainly have a lot to learn from the Baron, and in little time, but I've at least already learned something of leadership from the establishment of our company. Wait, I mustn't let my mind wander...
This 'Rafelo' clearly means no harm, if that's even his name. Still though... I promised Mikail that I would help him get this information, and I'm not going to let him down. Let's see... I suppose I should get down to business, if I'm to persuade him it's possible that I'll have to speak in the universal language of money.. He predicted my lack of experience quite exceptionally, but perhaps with enough charisma I can still coax him into revealing something. Even if I can't I'm sure for the right price he'd tell us anything.

After pausing for a thought, he relaxes his tensed muscles and flicks his hair out of his face, clearing his throat and shrugging off the man's rude comment. Despite the fact that the man was exactly right about their lack of scouting experience, if the elf pays no heed to his remark, it's likely the stranger may reconsider the level of experience his company possesses. -Even though he acts nonchalant, he makes a mental note of what Rafelo says, for it's important to always learn from mistakes-... He then looks the man in the eyes. Leaning forward he drops the coins onto the money box in a dramatized manner, and attempts to make it clear he is overcompensating for such information.

"Here you are, Rafelo; three lance should be plenty." He then stands upright and takes two steps back, placing himself back next to his brother, in an attempt to coax the answer out of the odd man by formality, and presence. He speaks in a deep, calm, and more serious tone now, tossing him a gentleman's compliment as well. "You look like a reasonable man, Rafelo. You are looking for business, well you've got your business, and we have our own to attend to. If you don't mind, I would like you to tell us, or perhaps even show us where Friendly's Stables are. We are on a tight schedule and don't have much time to fool around." He looks at his brother in a reassuring fashion. He looks back at the man with a gentle but very serious expression for about four flickers, but then he lightens his tone, and backs off. His message was delivered, and he had no more reason to act so stern. With a sigh he calmly continues.

"Well? I've done my part, now how about it, Rafelo?"
Last edited by Haikan on Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:31 am, edited 21 times in total.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail hears the man's reaction to their tenseness, and relaxes his arms. This man doesn't seem too belligerent, maybe I can convince him to help us. Mikail had a manner of calming his voice to persuade people; something he didn't really understand that what he was doing was mild hypnosis, but he managed to be able to subconsciously get unhostile folk to agree with him. At this rate who knows how much he'll ask for? He might just be greedy, we haven't ruled out the possibility of a mugging yet. Don't worry Haikan, I'll do my part.

Mikail calmed himself, and his voice began to sound almost velvety. He tipped up his cap and made eye contact with the man. "We apologize if we insulted you with our distrust, but as you can see we're outlanders. We'd be very grateful if you could help us, and we don't have a lot of money. We're running low on time as well, as it's getting late. If you don't mind, would three lances be enough to jog your memory? Your help will be greatly appreciated." Mikail smiled at the man and said: "I would like to personally thank you for your free advice as well."
Last edited by Mikail on Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Rafelo smiles a crooked smile, and laughs again. “Ya all are really new to this, yes? I take yer coin, and give ya another tip or two.”

Rafelo looks around for a flicker before continuing. “Ya should arrange beforehand who will do the talking. If I was an greedy person, I might drive the wedge with both you speaking to drive the price up. And don’t announce the size of your bribe. Those who it is worth bribing will be able to tell at a glance, how much coin you offer. It is a delicate art, buying information, and one must approach it as such.”

“As to yer quest, the place you seek burned some time ago. Some even say it was arson. Not that it is no never mind there. The man ye be seeking did not recover well from the loss. He works over at the Prancing Stallion, which is back uptown. Kind of hard to explain how to get there from here. But from the main gate ya go up about three streets and left. It be the biggest stable there. Got a big statue of a pink dancing horse that be quite the sight, or at least I have been told so.”

After a pause of another flicker, Rafelo speaks again, but in a quieter voice. “If ya youths be any good with them toys, I might as know some who would be paying for such?”
Last edited by Danomel on Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Yes, you are correct, I'm afraid that I am new to street bartering... Forgive me, I shall take your words to heart, and I'll take it as a learning experience... We do plan to use our 'toys' for monetary gain, but not of the type that is typical of our kind. Maybe you'll hear the name Haikan again some time." He combs his hair out of his eyes with his hand, and subtly bows to Rafelo.

"Thank you for the information. We'll head over immediately. Until we meet again, take care." He nods toward Mikail. "Come on Mikail, follow me to the Prancing Stallion, we're going to get that horse you bought." He takes about eight steps back, still looking at Rafelo, if Mikail follows his lead, he bows again, and turns around to quickly hurry toward the location Rafelo described, not wishing to soon forget it.

Three streets above the main gate, and to the left, three streets above the main gate, and to the left...
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail bowed his head to the ground as the strange man continued to give them advice. I want to resent him for being so rude to us... Yet... I know that he's showing us kindness by sparing us from the said manipulations. Truth be told, although this is a small example, his words will keep me more cautious in the future. I can't believe how thoughtless I'm being.

Mikail took a breath to thank him, but then realized that in doing so he'd have ignored the man's advice, so he just nodded his head one time, and then turned to follow Haikan. I'm grateful that this man was the one we encountered, should it have been a slightly more selfish one... Mikail shook his head and decided to continue following Haikan in silence.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

The Prancing Stallion turns out to be rather easily located. The large wooden statue in front is indeed big, some might even call it an eye sore, but few would ever refer to it as art. It depicts a stallion with front hooves in the air, a flowing mane, and otherwise rather well endowed. The work is done in some detail, though the subject rendering is significantly distorted from real life. Plus the very bright pink color it is painted does not add to its overall ambience. However, there is no mistaking the establishment, even from the other end of the street.

The stable seems to be doing a very brisk business. There seems to be a merchant convoy of some sort preparing animals for travel. Supplies are being carried out from a warehouse across the street and organized into packs.

For the most part Haikan an Mikail are ignored in the hustle and bustle.
Last edited by Danomel on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

As Haikan is running rather quickly up the street, out of the quarter, past the main gate, three streets up and to the left: Toward the Prancing Stallion, it's borderline obnoxious presence lays obvious right in front of him. He is startled by the monstrous pink statue and he jumps and skids to a halt, almost losing his balance. He looks around at all the bustling merchants and employees and he scratches the back of his right leg with his left foot. "Hold on Mikail, I have an idea." He looks back to assure that Mikail is still behind him. Well... There is certainly import and export going on here, perhaps it is fate that brought us here. Not only can we pick up brother's horse, we could probably get a deal from these folks for vehicular supplies... Yes we could deliver their supplies for a discount, in exchange for... "Brother, I have some ideas on how this situation could greatly benefit our own convoy... But I have to think, I don't want to blow it..."

He raises his hand to his chin and ponders a bit as his heartbeat slowed to normal after the hurried run. Let's see, we could offer them a significant discount, in exchange for a good deal on horses, and perhaps oxen if they have them... Maybe we could get a deal on food for the horses too... No, that'd be pushing it... Or would it...?

"I've got it! Mikail, after we receive your horse, I am going to propose a deal. This deal would be as follows: We offer to deliver a shipment of their goods East, we'll request that they pay us only five percent of their goods' worth to us for a middleman fee... That would mean they would still gain market value, and they wouldn't have to take the risk and effort of trading it. In return we would ask for a discount on horses and oxen. On top of that we'd offer our standard service in the future... What do you think?"

As he explains his plan to Mikail, he looks about, searching for someone who looked as if they were in charge of the goings-on. He glances in the warehouse, by the animals, past the statue, down and up the street, and in the windows of the actual building itself. He also keeps an eye out for oxen amongst the animals, knowing they are the ideal pullers of a wagon.
Last edited by Haikan on Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail followed Haikan quietly, half embarrassed about his spoiling the encounter and half angered at the rudeness of the people here. I suppose that kind of thing should be expected from the poor quarter. I find it saddening that such paranoid and unnecessary precautions are actually standard here.

Haikan began whipping up a new plan after they arrived at their destination. Mikail listened, but wasn't too keen on the idea. "I think we might be getting a little ahead of ourselves. The idea has potential, but I'm just catching my breath running into this city, I hardly think it's appropriate to take a shot at running it. We've got some good ideas worked up with Matiel, but I think we should start small considering the lack of resources backing up our words."

While they were talking Mikail looked around at the new establishment that replaced the old Friendly's in astonishment. It's hard to imagine that someone who worked in such a poor part of town could move here after they lost their entire place in a fire.
Last edited by Mikail on Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

A heavy set bearded man approaches Haikan and Mikail. “Would ye all be seeking to rent or purchase some honest transportation?”

The bearded man stops several paces away and scratches his armpit. He has a well worn leather apron about his midriff, held in place by a belt sporting several tools obviously for shoeing horses. “You all be in luck. We got a new line of horses in just this morning. What price range are you looking at?”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

He bows his head to the man slightly. "Sir, my name is Haikan, and this is my brother Mikail." He raises his arm toward Mikail and returns his attention to the man. "A man named Malachi Verida supposedly knew Friendly, and he had a pre-paid order for a fine horse, Mikail should have the order information on paper. You see, Malachi is our father."

He pauses a bit. Yes Malachi was his father, but he would have difficulty referring to him as so until he has at least met him. Joshua is the father he knows, and he'll always remember him as his father. Malachi may need his help, but for all Haik knows, he could be anything from a glorious hero to a filthy backstabber. Regardless of Haik's patrial ignorance, he snaps out of his thought and voices his second proposal.

"The prepaid horse aside, I was wondering if we could get several horses at some point and some feed. I'll be completely honest with you, all I have is a couple crowns, and my brother no more than the lint in his pockets, but I have a feeling you will be interested in what I have to say."

Hmm, perhaps I am moving too quickly... Damn, I've got to think fast or else I'll blow this opportunity. For a mere flicker he collects himself and takes a deep breath. The nervousness of proposal is still mindwracking to him.
Here goes, time for some charisma.

"I can see that you are packing up for a caravan of sorts. I am sure you are aware of how dangerous the roads are, what with road bandits, and the small remaining Orcish clans rumored to remain scattered throughout the kingdom. I also trust you are aware of how unreasonably expensive portal travel can get. There is a solution however to both those dilemmas, and it has just recently formed." He pauses to clear his throat. He uses a smooth baritone voice for selling his points, it's a bit deep for him, but it's much more charismatic and persuasive than his typical tenoresque pitch. He also reminds himself all of the blunders he pulled when dealing with Rafelo. Haikan doesn't make the same mistakes twice.

"The answer lies in the company I happen to be the captain of. The danger and expense of trade is eliminated by my middleman corporation. You see, for a fee, we take your goods and deliver them to a premeditated destination, with guarunteed security, and contract-ensured reliability. This is no ordinary company however, there are thirty company soldiers on duty at all times, protecting the goods, and scouting for danger. With the risk of bandits and small Orcish assaults eliminated, we only need one more thing..."

He pauses, and looks at Mikail, a bead of sweat rolls down his cheek, and his heart is trying it's damndest to pound through his ribcage. He looks back at the man, and continues.

"We need horses, and possibly oxen. That brings me to my point, sir, We are willing to deliver your goods initially free of charge, and set up a trading contract with you, in exchange for an investment, in the form of a discount on horses. Naturally my executives will have more money available, but I will not lie to you, we are still a young company, and need investors to give us a head start."

"As you won't be the only customer, the profits we expect will be enormous, and we will pay 110% of your investment cost, under contract."

"Sir, do you have any thoughts regarding this? Naturally we don't have to do all the businesswork here and now."

I have a few more selling points, but I've got to hear what he has to say first, or else I'll come off as too pushy and I'll blow it, which is not an option! His heart pulses violently, and it seems to be the drum beat to which his nervousness dances. Dear god I hope this man is nicer than Rafelo. He braces himself, expecting the worst in response, but hopes for the best.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

The bearded man eyes Haikan for a flicker as he considers. “Friendly? Didn’t that place burn to the ground awhile ago? Heard it was arson.”

“There is a man who works here, took him in when it happened. Good eye for horse flesh. Though after the fire, there is not much else he can do. Has a cot in the back. Goes by the name of Mal. Don’t know if he is the one ye be looking for. Go on back if you wish; just ask for Mal, you will get directions.”

“”Now if it be business you wish to be discussing then you is talking to the right person. I be Jonash Blanber, the owner of this fine establishment. Once you is finished you’re your other errand, stop by the office. We can discuss business there.”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail listened to the two of them exchange for a while. He held his tongue, concerned that affairs here might be handled in the same strange way as they were in the poor quarter. Rafelo had really upset him, even though he spared them with advice. Mikail felt insulted because he had so obviously failed at his attempt to try out his knack. He never really understood his 'unspoken coercion' as he called it, so he was only really able to use it when his emotions rose. He wanted to learn how to control that, but he didn't know if it was just the easy going nature of the kind people in his hometown.

Truth be told, he assumed that all Dominicans would just treat them poorly because they were Elves. For this reason, even after they paused to let him speak, Mikail remained silent. He felt even worse when the man revealed that he was not in fact in league with Friendly. There goes any chance of getting that horse... I won't be able to afford another one for a long time.

Mikail never really knew why his father wanted him to have a horse. Perhaps it was just a going away present, but even though he didn't exactly need it, Mikail was kind of warming up to the idea of having an animal companion. The more depressed he got, the more his sense of humor withered and died. When he was comfortable and with his own kind, Mikail loved to tell jokes. Around here, he didn't even like talking to people. He simply stepped back a little bit and let the two talk as his face sank a little bit.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"You hear that, Brother? There's a guy in the back that may know where your horse is." Casting a reassuring glance over to Mikail, he offers a friendly thumbs up, and turns back to the bearded man. He gave him a bow.

"Thank you, sir Blanber. I shall return soon to do business with you. If not this evening, tomorrow. Please consider my offer, I assure you that our company has a lot to provide, and if you give it some thought, you may come upon the same conclusion." Standing upright again he looks back into the Stallion, where this 'Mal' might be found. His heart rate has returned to normal after the running his brother and he had done, and his perspiration ceased. Mal... I know I've heard that name somewhere before... It seems familiar. Maybe, if he is the owner of Friendly's, he could tell me about Malachi Verida, my real father! Wait a second. Mal... Perhaps he is Malachi... But why would he be here? Maybe the same reason Mikail is... His mind wanders wildly again, and he catches himself. Oh well all we can do is try to find him.

"Come Mikail, let's find Mal." Haikan walks with purpose, back beyond Jonash and keeps his eyes peeled for cots or signs of resting faculty. Once he is sufficiently inside the establishment, past the bustle to where he assumed Jonash was referring to, he called out:

"Hello! I'm looking for a man named Mal! Is he here?"
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

It did not take long for Haikan and Mikail to be directed to a small room on the second floor behind the hayloft. More of a closet, rather than a room. The single cot with an old tic mattress took practically all the floor space. A few small shelves held what were obviously personal momentos. Several sets of simple workers garbs hung from a row of pegs. While small and cramped, the room was clean, if somewhat disordered.

But what caught the attention of the two young men was the figure of the man laying in the bed. In his undergarments with a thin blanket covering him, it was quite an unsettling sight, as the man had a plethora of massive burn scars covering most of his left side and a few spots on his right. The wounds were obviously long, if not well, healed. His left hand and part of his left forearm were missing, and it was obvious he was blind in his left eye.

With a slight grunt, he levered himself up with his right arm and in a rather raspy voce asked; “And what would a fine young pair of lads be wanting with old Mal?”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail followed Haikan up the stairs and into a tiny room. Any trace of disappointment Mikail had was shattered when he saw the figure that lay before him. He was at a loss for words, for though Mikail had seen hardship in his homelife and expected it to continue, he couldn't even begin to imagine how much more unfortunate Mal must be. He choked for a minute, realizing how inwardly focused he had been. When I heard that Friendly's burnt down, my first thought was that I wouldn't get my horse... How could I be so self-centered as to worry about my own frivolous problem before empathizing with those who lost so much? I suppose I have a long way to go before I can even deserve to have self-respect.

He looked at Haikan pleadingly, but soon realized that he was in the same bind. How could they ask anything of a man who had lost so much? There's only one thing to do, we'll make an offer instead of a request, that might lower my shame a little bit, and we could help out someone that might be in need! I'll depend on Haikan to fill in the details, but I might be able to handle this. First, I just need to figure out who this guy is and whether or not we have anything to offer.

"Actually, we wanted to know if you knew Malachi Verida." I'm not sure where to go from here, even though Jonash is the one to talk to about business, I have to see if there is anything we can do. I'm not quite sure I understand though, is this guy Friendly? Or is he the one that took him in? I suppose I wasn't paying close enough attention when Jonash set us on our way. Regardless, this is how our conversation will start. "I wanted to buy a horse from Friendly, and Malachi, my father, had made the arrangements," Mikail paused suddenly. He cleared his throat. You're not a horrible person, you can do this! "May I ask, what happened to Friendly's? I would like to offer my patronage but if his business is ruined, then that is a tragedy of much greater gravity than the cancelation of a business deal." He looked at Haikan nervously, but then calmness overtook his face, he loosened up his body, and relaxed.
Last edited by Mikail on Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “KC Archive”