Finding a Mentor (Chyril 28th MT)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Haikan
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Finding a Mentor (Chyril 28th MT)

Post by Haikan »

Haikan's house is on a side street between the Avenue of Trade and the Docks. It is independently standing and built for three, but lately Haikan is the sole owner, because his human parents who owned the building had departed of old age several yahren ago. His father left it to him, but he seldom spent time there, because the memories were tightly bonded to every inch of the house. It is not extravagant, but it is clean, more because the young elf is never home than because he is a tidy person. There is a poorly made wooden fence around the back that goes a modest twenty feet back and is about fifteen feet wide, and that fence looks like it could collapse upon the slightest touch. The house stands one story, and has only five rooms, a medium bedroom for two people, and a single bedroom that is quite small. There is a bathroom that branches off of the main room on the right side. The main room upon entering the house has a table in the center, with three chairs, and two chairs along the left wall. There are very few furnishings, as most of the things in the house are tools for adventuring. There is a sheathed schlaeger hanging on the wall under a painting of Haikan's father in the main room that has the name Joshua engraved on it, and there are several foils cluttered in the right corner, near the kitchen. The 'kitchen' consists of a hole in the wall for fire, with a smokestack leading up through the roof and no other furniture. There is no food or drink other than dried rations and water available here.

As the sun rose, Haikan had awoken in the smaller of the two bedrooms and stretched his arms, letting out a very satisfying yawn, before his morning routine for home days. He polished his blade, and after departing from his home to run down and up the Avenue of Trade wearing his equipment and armor, he returned to briefly practice swordplay behind his house. After he was content with his sword practice, he laid on his stomach and pushed himself up with his arms repeatedly until he felt a burning sensation- as an elf he was built slightly more frail than normal men, so he has always tried to make up for this by exercising and attempting to become stronger. Not only that, but one must be fit to be an adventurer, and Haikan always tries to improve his abilities of dodging attacks and being nimble in combat. Dodging is a very difficult skill to practice without a training partner, so he practices acrobatics and swiftness of movement in general. He practiced jumping over the fence behind his house, and he attempted possible battle maneuvers, until he was quite tired. After his exercise he went inside to tune his lute, strumming out a few melodies for brief entertainment, and warming up his voice. From his exercise, he became quite sweaty, so he bathed, and used fancy soap for a change. He also cleaned his armor and undertunic. He put on his nicest clothes and even combed his hair. Though he woke up quite early to do all this, it was about midmorning by the time he had finished.

Upon finishing his Home Days routine, he hollered into the larger bedroom in which his newly found half-brother slept. "Brother! Today is the day that I go to find my teacher! If you wish to come you may, but don't forget that later we have to meet those two gentlemen here and proceed to the Hall of Records!" He decided to take most of his adventuring gear with him, as well as his lute, for he wanted to appear as he was when he presented himself to the Baron. He still wore his nicest tunic, but that was merely to look presentable. The Baron was a Noble after all, and would likely appreciate that Haikan dressed as such. He almost left his boot-knives behind, because it was very unlikely that treachery would arise, but as an adventurer, being prepared is never a bad choice, so he keeps them fastened in place. He changes his mind again and leaves them behind, but he feels like he's leaving part of his life insurance behind. I'll just give a dagger to Mikail in case of danger, although I'm sure my schlaeger would be able to handle it. Haikan wasn't a philosopher, but if there is one practical thing he thinks about a lot, it is safety. The times are quite dangerous lately, better to be safe than sorry with all of the warring and feuding, political uprising, Orc attacks and whatnot. He realizes that he has become quite lost in thought, and shrugs it off, turning back to Mikail's room.

"You coming?"
Last edited by Haikan on Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail awoke hearing the noise of his new friend preparing himself to leave, and spent a few burns lying awake, clearing his head. Every morning he spends a certain amount of time trying to meditate, but it's difficult with distractions. After Haikan left it was a little easier. He had trouble meditating in a strange place, so he closed his eyes and focused on his breathing. He breathed in for eight flickers, held his breath for twelve, and then let out a sigh for seven flickers. He found this ratio of breathing very relaxing, but it didn't work if his mind couldn't relax. Darn it, I can't seem to focus. He turned his head and looked out the window, staring at the sun for two flickers. He then closed his eyes and focused on the after image and returned to his breathing exercise. He put what was left of his conscious attention on the after image, and as it disappeared, his thoughts would hopefully disappear with it. This was his best way to unfold his busy mind when he was stressed. As the burns passed, he sank into the bed more and more. Eventually he began listening to his pulse to tune out any other noises around him.

After about a candlemark, he was disturbed by what sounded like someone swinging a stick or a blade around outside. He sat up in the bed and wrote a few paragraphs in his journal; an unkempt mass of papers bound by a piece of twine woven on the left sides of the parchment. Haikan had allowed him to bathe the night before, so he skipped that and put on his clothes. He left his jacket off, and decided to put on his leather armor instead. Haikan mentioned a combat tutor, and although Mikail knows nothing of combat, he doesn't like getting harmed, or even scuffed. As his brother called from the other room, he put on his cap and returned the call.

"Before we leave, may I have some water, and may I borrow your soap?" His voice was still scratchy, as it usually is in the morning. Mikail usually doesn't talk until late morningtide, because his voice wakes up slower than he does, most likely from lack of use. He had already begun flaking approximately two grams of calamine in a mug that Haikan gave him the night before. Following this procedure, he put on his bracers and thought to himself. If I'm going to learn more about alchemy, I'll need to start carrying vials with me. This flask is very unwieldy for mixing. He looked at his helm, which usually hangs from his backpack. I hate wearing that thing. Even if I am going to have to learn to fight, I'm not wearing that unless my life depends on it. His father had sent him on his way buried in armor for protection, and though he knows the dangers of traveling, Mikail took the helm off as soon as he was out of his father's eyesight. Even if the bands match my armor and my hair, this thing is absolutely ugly. Then again, vanity and style don't win battles. He decided to strap it to his backpack.
Last edited by Mikail on Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:15 am, edited 6 times in total.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Sure, I guess, but we've got to hurry, I don't know exactly where to find him, but the first place I'll try is the Dragon's Den, that's the most popular tavern for miles around, and if he's revisiting the capital, I'm sure that's the first place he'd go." The anxious young adhiel walks into the bathing room and returns, handing Mikail his regular soap. "Also take this, just in case things get dangerous." He hands his brother a small dagger, very sharp, and a small sheathe that he picked up in the corner of the main room. "No offense, but you don't look like a fighter, so if we get in trouble, you should have this, as most folks wouldn't suspect you of owning a close range weapon. Hide it in your garment, and..." Haikan's face becomes quite serious and he looks Mikail deep in the eyes. "...Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased to find that you are my brother, but you should know that me handing you this means I'm trusting you, so don't do anything to cause trouble, and don't do anything shameful, it is only a safety precaution. Nothing more."

He finishes tying his own Schlaeger sheathe around his waist, and he turns around to walk toward the door. "Come now, we don't want to miss our chance."
Last edited by Haikan on Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

"Thank you." Mikail inspects the dagger, and its blade is about as long as his forearm, with a handle exactly large enough for a comfortable grasp. He tucks the sheathe into his sleeve, and puts his gloves on, completely concealing it. He practices pulling it out a few times. "I could get used to this... much better than a sword. I don't know if you can tell by looking at me, but I'm not exactly fit for heavy fighting. If you wouldn't mind though, I would like to go with you from now on for your morning exercises. In this living world, no sense not having your vessel of life in anything other than optimum condition."

He pulls out the dagger one more time and shaves off about a quarter of the soap into the flask, putting the water in last. After shaking it for a few flickers, he takes the cap off again. "This potion is a lot easier to make, seeing as it's not quite as magical. This is a part of my morning routine actually, its very refreshing. This potion merely cleanses the mouth, and works well on the face too. This is the only way I can keep clean on the road. On my last journey, however, I exhausted my dosage." He takes a hearty swig, and swishes for a while. I hope my hygenic prudence doesn't get the better of me some day. Knowing my luck I'll have to walk through a dirty swamp and I'll likely lose my composure.

After spitting out the fluid, he takes his hat off and splashes some on his face in the washtub, and then walks back out to Haikan. "I'm ready."
Last edited by Mikail on Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

This kid is really clever, I think he's got a lot of potential as a chemical sorceror.
"You should make a batch for me sometime. For now, we've got to head to the Dragon's Den." Signaling for Mikail to follow him, he exits the door, and walks toward the Dragon's Den. If Mikail did follow him he would walk through the South residential area, towards the docks, and end up with Haikan at the entrance to the Dragon's Den Tavern.

Where the Docks end and Sailor's Boulevard, the residential area overlooking Mer de la Luna, began, The Dragon's Den did its business in King's Court. It was a large, three story building, constructed of stone and wood. Balconies ran alongside the second floor. A red dragon, breathing fire and protecting a treasure, decorated the sign that slowly swayed in the wind.

The most famous feature of the inn was its floating terrace. Essentially a large raft, moored to the shore, it served as a place to eat pancakes or drink a beverage. The terrace was very popular on sunny days. The Den had a number of rooms for rent. Those that didn't care much for luxury, would find nice, tidy lodgings at the inn.

Pancakes are the Den's speciality, hence the nickname Pete's Pancake Palace. Guests could order the delicacy with a wide variety of toppings. Of course, "normal" food was served as well.

Peter Throckmorton owned and exploited the inn. He was a giant of a man with a thick red beard. His booming voice carried far and he used it a lot, giving orders to his staff. He could be found everywhere on the premises. Sometimes in the kitchen, pep talking his cooks into better performances and sometimes on the floating terrace, inquiring about the needs of his guests. He was always cheerful, his booming laughing spreading through the establishment.

"Well, I guess to start we should ask the tavernkeeper if he's seen Baron Sebastian around, or we could just look around ourselves." The smell of pancakes was strong in the air, almost overwhelming to Haikan, but he kept his mind focused for the task at hand. Finding the Baron.
Last edited by Haikan on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail simply walked quietly about six feet behind Haikan, rubbing his own arm, feeling the dagger in his sleeve. I've never fought with one of these before. I once used an arrow in my hand to hack through a piece of rope, but that's about all I know for combat. A bow is more comfortable for me, because the composure is never lost when one merely lets an arrow fly. Yet still, it'd be nice to know how to actually defend myself. He looked around him at all the people walking around. This is where the vanguard told me to go before I found the Laughing King's Tavern. I think I made the right choice to avoid this place. Funny that he seems so impressed with my concoction. It's such a basic mundane one that with a little practice, he could possibly make it himself.

Mikail managed to pipe up a small voice next to Haikan. "I hope you wouldn't mind doing most of the talking. Also, while we're out, if I could get a few vials for alchemy, I would very much appreciate it."
Last edited by Mikail on Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Alright, I can deal with that, and we'll make sure to get you those vials as soon as I'm finished with my business."

He walks into the Tavern and grabs a seat near the entrance, directing Mikail to have a seat and he rubs his forehead gathering his thoughts.

After the discussion that we had last night, I'm positive that I can trust Mikail. He risked his life giving me that information, and that was bold for someone of his character. I have a feeling there is a good future in our friendship. And even though we just met yesterday, I feel like I know him already. I could really use to have family again, Heaven knows I've been alone for so long. I can't forget though.. He needs vials for his alchemy. Oh, and I also need to get that new water flask in case I go out again.
Last edited by Haikan on Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Post by Sebastian Beauvais »

Things were almost as sunny as the late morningtide sky for Sebastian. His love's father was rescued from death's door, the nefarious plotter of the crime was about to be humbled by the revelation, and his master would no doubt tumble from his lofty heights over the scandal. Of course there were still a few hedgerows to hurdle but all in all, things were looking very promising for the young baron.

Back in the capital and in need of his morning repast after a late sleep, Sebastian gave in to the hankering that had been rekindled a few days ago - a desire for the pancakes of the Dragon's Den. His short visit there with De Rohm and Michel had reminded him of what he had been missing, and now that he had a free moment he was set on slaking that particular desire. And so it was to the Den he headed, fancying a nice table on the floating terrace and a plate of steaming flapjacks.

As before he dressed simply, though the cut of his clothes betrayed some level of wealth. But Sebastian was just out for breakfast, not attention, and did his best to appear unremarkable to the casual eye. His time with the Vanguard had taught him a few tricks, and even if that failed he could always remind himself of his beginnings at the Three Sheaves. Remembering his family never failed to remind Sebastian how far he had come, and how fortunate his rise was.

The young baron walked through the common room without pause, unknowingly passing near Haikan and Mikail on his way to the outdoor seating area. With the day so perfect - the sky reminded Sebastian of Cerise's eyes - it was no mean task to find a small table on the terrace. But as he'd observed, things were sunny for Sebastian and he managed to scoop one of the few remaining spots. Relaxing into his chair and enjoying the scenery, the young baron soaked up the sun while patiently awaiting the appearance of Pete or one of his serving staff.
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Ho hum... I could really use some food." The smell of pancakes was quite infectious, and even though Haikan fancied more nutritious sustenance on a typical day, he was feeling adventurous enough to partake in the deliciousness that the Dragon's Den had to offer.
As he sat near the entrance, facing it with eager eyes, there was no doubt that he noticed Sebastian walking in.

No way, that man looks exactly like the descriptions I've heard! The blue eyes, the reddish hair. But wait, he doesn't look like a noble, he's dressed in cheaper clothes than I'm wearing! Are you kidding me? Did I waste all that money getting this fancy-... Well, at least I'm fortunate enough to find him this early in the day.

Clearing his throat, the young elf builds up his courage and prepares to present himself to the Baron. I'm sure I'm making a bigger deal out of this than is necessary, but even if he isn't dressed like nobility, I'm confident that approaching and introducing myself formally couldn't hurt.

"Mikail, let's go." He rises and walks the same path he saw the Baron walk, but he'd lost sight of him. It didn't take long for his sharp elvish eyes to catch him basking in the sun on the terrace. "Over there!"

Haikan straightens his back, and approaches in the most dignified fashion he can muster. Show time. Calmly, he saunters over and places himself directly across the table from the Baron and bows his head, then stands up straight, following with a confident grin and a friendly voice. "Excuse me sir Beauvais, My name is Haikan, and this is my brother, Mikail. Do you mind if we have a seat here? There are some things I would like to speak with you about."
Last edited by Haikan on Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail wasn't very hungry, but he was craving something subtle and crunchy, like celery, however it seemed that more decadent foods were popular here. His hunger was climbing a little bit as the fatigue from wearing his armor began taking effect. He wasn't very used to it, and he wasn't particularly strong, so he tired easily when wearing it. He was intrigued by the smell in the air. He had never experienced pancakes before, but they appeared to his eye as devoid of nutritional value from afar. No harm in trying something new...

Haikan said a few things in a casual enough tone that Mikail didn't really notice, until he got up. Mikail followed him and after he said "Over there," he knew that the target had been sighted.

This man is a Baron? He's dressed like a commoner. I assume that he's trying to blend in with the crowd. I can respect that; it would seem he hasn't lost touch with his humanity. It's nice to see that nobility isn't always dancing on the skulls of peasants.

After watching Haikan make a spectacle of his grand greeting to the Baron, Mikail nudged his shoulder with an elbow and then in his usual hushed low voice he said: "If this man is regality, attempting to blend with the common man, I highly doubt bending your knee is necessary."
Last edited by Mikail on Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian broke from his silent reverie as the pair approached, anticipating a server waiting to take his order. Instead he got a curious duo, one adhiel, the other half, standing respectfully across the table from him. Before the curiously bemused look could disappear from his face, the red-headed adhiel had sprung a wide grin and requested permission for he and his brother to take a seat.

A smile of his own tugged at the corner of Sebastian's mouth as he regarded the two, one eagerly serious, the other quick with observational wit. Has it truly come to this, that people seek me out with such a contrasting combination of deference and informality? There is no going back after all, he realized with a small sense of nostalgic loss. At the same time he would not go back voluntarily, and in any case these two lads had nothing to do with any of it. So, why not?

"Baron Beauvais," he gently corrected the adhiel as he rose, gesturing to the empty chairs at the table. "I am pleased to meet you Haikan, Mikail," he said, looking at each in turn. "Please take a seat. I hope you won't mind if I do have some breafast while we speak though? I really do need to settle the grumbling from my stomach."

Settling back into his chair, the baron let his crisp blue eyes fall upon Haikan as he seemed to be the instigator. "Well then, you would like to speak to me about something? I must admit you have me at a bit of a disadvantage, so feel free to expand your explanation as much as necessary."
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Excellent, then you won't mind if we eat ourselves!" It seems Mikail was right about this man's humility, but he corrected me that he was Baron Beauvais, so I'd better not take too many liberties of informality just yet. He sits in the seat directly across from Sebastian, and pulls the chair to his right out for Mikail to sit in.

"I shall elaborate then, Baron. I will illuminate my plight, and present my dilemma. I am an adventurer, of humble status. I was an orphan raised in a moderately happy, but rather hungry foster family, and was trained by my human father to survive with versatility in any situation. Once my foster parents tragically departed of old age, I decided that I should become an explorer, to find my place. I've become very experienced in my travels, and got to know many people from many places. Your name was one I heard while I was visiting Brie recently, and I heard of one who had beginnings as an adventurer, but now is a Baron, to whom warriors answer, and is a genuinely good leader." He speaks in formal terms, but in a gentle voice that sounds as though he were talking to a friend of old.

"This brings me to my point, Baron. I recently was elected to be the commander of a global Trade mission that travels by land, as opposed to Portal Trade, at more affordable cost. As you know there would be risks in this venture, what with the Orc attacks, political uprisings, and the instability caused by all that troubles the Western Kingdom. I am to lead the mercenaries that will defend this embargo, and I will defend it myself. This is where I need your help." His smile fades slightly and his bright green eyes are burning with dramatic resolve.

"Sir, I have heard that you are experienced in combat, a sharp tactician and an illustrious leader of men. This could all be Urban nonsense, but I do not find myself advanced enough in this field, and I, well..." He sheds his diplomacy, and presents his case with the upmost sincerity, and he has trouble spitting out his request, but at last in a rather loud voice he proclaims:
"I seek a mentor."

The nervousness is difficult to swallow. He feels like he is making himself vulnerable by being so front, but for the Baron to sympathize with him, and to avoid rejection, honesty is the key. He puts his nervousness behind him and continues with a steadied and more confident voice.

"I assume that with beginnings as an adventurer, you were likely once a lot like I am now, perhaps you still are: Ambitious, eager, optimistic. With stars in your eyes, and a fire in your heart, you hunger to prove yourself. If I am mistaken feel free to shoot me down, but it is this empathy that made me think I could turn to you, as opposed to others of your caliber, to teach me. I must become a fearsome warrior, an intelligent and respectable leader, and a skilled tactician. I must become worthy to be a civilian commander, and for that, I ask of your mentorship." He glances at Mikail, in somewhat of a how was that? sort of fashion, but he decided to continue in genuine conversation, without the aid of his brother's critique.

Releasing a sigh, the elf wonders if he had gone too far. He begins to fear he may have insulted the Baron by comparing him to an adhiel like himself without knowing this mans ideals or eccentricities. Throughout his childhood it wasn't unusual for humans to look down on Haikan, feeling he is not on their level. If he upset the Baron in this way, he could be in a great deal of trouble. He swallows his grievous worry and brings his confession to the Baron to a close. Humbly he bows his head, and as he brings it back up, he looks the Baron directly in the eye.

"For some reason I feel as if I can assume that you have once been in my shoes. Please understand that if I have insulted you in this respect, you have my deepest apology, Baron Beauvais."
Last edited by Haikan on Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:07 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail looked at Haikan, shocked by his forwardness. The things he was saying were not that grave, but he said them in such a humble way that it sounded as if he had no other option besides being trained by this man. Mikail looked down again, and pulled his scarf back over his face to hide his expression.

I guess I'd best reveal my intentions to him, though I've hardly explained them even to Haikan. I'll have to wait a little while, until Sebastian's nature is revealed. He seems to be a genuine man, but it's possible that he's got more important things to handle than a random student out of nowhere. Still... Mikail closed his eyes tightly for a moment. There may be no other way for us, we have to try. I might even have to reveal my own plight. I just hope he doesn't hate T'aquar Adhiels as much as the average Dominican. Mother save me should he turn out to be a zealot.
Last edited by Mikail on Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

While it was true Sebastian had invited Haikan to be expansive in his description, he couldn't help but feel a little overwhelmed by outpouring from the adhiel. Despite himself he found a bemused grin forming on his face, especially when Haikan began flattering him. Sebastian wondered if the young adventurer was purposely buttering him up or just too earnest to realize how he sounded. Probably it was some of both, but it still worked.

His brother's embarrassed reaction, or so Sebastian interpreted it, made it clear this was not a well-practiced scam. That further intrigued the young baron, and as Haikan finally settled Sebastian chuckled and shook his head slowly.

"Well, that is quite a tale!" he managed to say, sitting back and considering the pair. "I must admit your trade venture interests me. I hope you have involved Brie in your commerce plans - we have much to offer and would relish the chance to participate, I am sure."

Hands clasped in his lap, the baron regretted there was no plate of pancakes over which they could discuss this issue. Such talks were always hungry work. But someone would be along eventually, and until then he had this interesting request to deal with.

"I am humbled by your praise, Haikan. I had not realized my reputation was so," he searched for the right word, "glowing, I suppose." A bright humour lit Sebastian's eyes, as though he thought nothing of the sort about himself. "I have had success though, and not all due to dumb luck. So perhaps your request is the ultimate praise, flattery aside."

The baron leaned forward again, propping his elbows on the table as he stared at the adhiel. The humour from before was gone, replaced with a neutral but serious expression. "Before I commit to anything, tell me two things. What do you propose in return for my mentoring, and what do you intend to do with the experience you gain under my tutelage?"
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

As Sebastian acts surprised by Haikan's words, it reminds him that he is dealing with a mortal, just like him. Relaxing becomes much easier, and the adhiel is elated to find that Sebastian does not see a rift of class that separates them as nobles are expected to. It really is true, that this is one of the rare regality that has held on to his humanity. He could not feel better about his choice of a mentor.

"Brie is first on the list of our destinations, between our route from here to Pax. We find that Brie and King's Court are essential trading cities, Brie with a lot to offer, and the capital with a lot in demand. They will likely be the center of our journey, and we will likely return to them often. Now you ask what you would receive in return for your tutelage?"

"If you require payment, I will see to it that a percentage of the profits made by all trades would go to you. What else I can honestly swear to you is that you will have a loyal pupil, who will follow you and practice combat and physical training with you. You will have an earnest student who will cheerfully take your criticism and observe the knowledge you share. You, started out somewhat like myself, and have achieved great success, so it is certain that your guidance would not lead me awry." As the conversation descends into a casual tone, a smile returns to Haikan's face, and his nervousness is completely gone.

"Also I will use the strength and knowledge that I gain from your mentorship for a just cause. While I know that justice is a very subjective term, what I mean to say is that I will defend the innocent civilians on my embargo, I will defend the mercenaries, and I will use my training for good by standard of what you teach me, and perhaps you may catch a returning wind of my heroism if I am as successful as you. You will have my trust, and loyalty, and I will work hard." The ambitious young elf eagerly awaits the Baron's response.
Last edited by Haikan on Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail's eyes began to wander a little bit as the two were talking, mostly looking down and wincing whenever Haikan said something overly friendly. He wasn't very much used to kind words, so overuse of them made his stomach turn just a little bit. As Haikan wrapped up his explanation of how he would pay Sebastian back, he decided to step in, removing the scarf from his face.

"What he means is essentially that you will be given direct commissions from our profit, and he will defend you with all he has." Mikail looked over to Haikan and gave him a nod, and then met Sebastians eyes with his own. "Also, I would like to sit in with you two as well to learn the art of combat myself. I can do my own part of repayment, in addition to the commissions and defending. I am an alchemist, and I shall provide you with any useful enhancement salves that I should learn to make, along with instructions on how to make the mundane ones, so that any factions that answer to you can be prepared with their own medicinal knowledge in cases of emergency." After saying that mouthful, Mikail placed the scarf back over his face and leaned back in his chair, just watching the two.
Last edited by Mikail on Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian listened to Haikan's enthusiastic and idealistic reply with a sense of nostalgia. Had he really sounded this way when he first appeared at the docks of Kings Court? Perhaps you still do, came the gently stinging rejoinder in his mind. No doubt practiced politicians like Magdalena and Leonius laughed at his naive behaviour, but that was who he was. He hoped a title wouldn't cull that out of him.

The adhiel's earnestness touched a sympathetic chord, but before Sebastian could reply Mikail spoke up, expressing a somewhat more cynical opinion. The young baron reconsidered Haikan's half-brother, sensing a stern, almost grim, demeanour about him. Perhaps somewhere in between the two there is balance - they keep each other on an even keel, he thought.

"The matter of monetary compensation is not at issue," he replied at last, waving away Mikail's bargaining with a flick of his wrist. "I expect fair trade to be negotiated with whomever you deal. The appropriate taxes and such that feed back into Brie's coffers, or whichever holding you are dealing with, will be sufficient."

"Defending me, now that is something different entirely," he mused aloud, eyes shifting between the brothers. "Do you know what that might entail? Do you know who my enemies are, and what 'defending me' might place you up against? Be careful not to make promises without knowing their full import."

"Still, a laudable offer and one I shall consider," he allowed, nodding slightly. "Now, to follow my own advice I think I should make sure I know a little more of you two. Full import, you see." The baron turned to Mikail first, feeling he was the harder nut to crack.

"Tell me Mikail, where do you see yourself in a yahren from now? How about two, or five? What would you do in this grand, wide world of ours?"
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"When we mentioned defense, it was on a level of report and reputation, as well as assistance in troublesome situations when necessary. I wanted to learn not only combat, but also tactics and leadership from you. Maybe even more of the latter. I would likely have to follow you through your business to a degree in order to effectively learn something such as leadership. Combat can be learned in a dojo, or even a backyard, but leadership takes real experience. In respect of reputation, you can trust that should I hear a nasty word of Baron Beauvais, I would honourably correct it. As far as sticking my neck out is concerned, if I were following you in times of trouble, I would no doubt lend you a hand." He crosses his arms in contentment with his courageous offer, but he raises his hand to his chin to consider the danger he may be getting involved with. His eyes flare with bravery as he realizes the convenience of the solution of this dilemma.

"If you teach me well enough, I am sure that I would be a plenty useful ally! Father always told me I had outstanding potential, I would just like to meet that potential." He raises his hand dramatically in front of him, and balls it into a fist. "The sooner I can do that, the sooner I can prove myself worthy of respect." He brings his hand back down onto the table and gives Sebastian a look of assurance, that he is indeed worthy.

Sebastian inquired to know more about the two of them. At first Haikan was confused, he could swear that he had done his best to honestly present himself openly to Sebastian. The Baron then clarifies he wishes to know more about Mikail, who had not shared his personality quite as generously as he had.

Come to think of it, he really does come off as mysterious. I suppose it is wise of the Baron to ask him to explain himself. As his brother, I still don't know what his ultimate intentions are...I trust that we can safely confide in the Baron though, he seems honorable. I certainly hope that I haven't misjudged my brother. No... He is definitely a good kid... And I have a feeling Sebastian is a good man as well. Will my brother talk though? Unsure as far as how comfortable his half brother was with opening up to the Baron. Haikan lends him an assuring glance, and speaks to him as an older brother for the first time.

"Mikail... Relax, and feel free to explain yourself. I have to admit, even I don't know too much regarding your overall goals, survival aside." He folds his hands in front of him on the table, and leans back in his chair, prepared to listen to what Mikail had to say.
Last edited by Haikan on Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail looked at Sebastian as he responded, and as he laughed as Haikan corrected their mistake. Of course we couldn't fight for him, I couldn't even swing a sword. I'm surprised Haikan caught that, perhaps he's not as naiive as I thought. As Mikail began to sink back into his chair, Sebastian put the limelight on him. His eyes dilated, and he almost fell back in his chair, but then he caught himself.

Where do I see myself in five yahren? Hmm... I... I have to tell him why I'm here. There is no other way... He'll probably cut my throat as soon as he hears what my business is. I... Mikail's face sank for a moment. I'd be more useful to father as a corpse than I would be leeching money from his pure blood son...

He sat back up and took his scarf off, and he put it on the table. "First of all, I apologize if my dry demeanor bores you in contrast to my half brother's excitement. I actually used to be quite the comedian. I've been trying to restore my sense of humor... However, after all of my family and friends died, save my father, I didn't have the spiritual constitution to keep my head up..." Mikail didn't realize it this time, but unintentionally his hypnotic voice began tapering on again. He wasn't trying to hypnotize or manipulate the man, but rather the gravity of what he was saying forced the untrained aura out of him. His passion for what he was saying brought out a more potent vibe than the one he oozed out the night before in the Poor Quarter.

Mikail not only clenched his eyes now, but a tear actually started streaming down his face, and he pulled the brim of his hat down to hide it. "I don't know how much you know about what's going on in T'aquar, but we have nothing left. And I don't know how anything goes here. I don't know how to learn things here, and I don't know how to fight. Even though I look like Haikan's peer, I am not only his half brother, but I'm half his age too. As far as Achadhiels are concerned, I'm still a child, equivalent to a thirteen year old for a human. No matter how hard I try to be grown up... I..." At this point Mikail's voice starts to waiver a little bit too, and he hushes himself, so as not to attract attention. "All I want to do is be worthy of my father's compassion, and to help what's left of my family. After Haikan's mother died, and our father took his human wife... my mother... our entire community became completely destitute. All I can do is fight for my brother, and go wherever he goes, and maybe someday... we can pull what's left of our family out of the darkness. If my origin and goals stand in the way of your people, you might as well kill me now. After all... I would be more useful to my family as a corpse than leeching off of my father's eldest son."

At this point Mikail is breathing really heavily, and he takes what was left of his failed potion from the night before and throws it back, hoping that it might somehow pacify him. He puts his scarf around his face, wipes his eyes, and slowly his normal, dry, soft voice returns. "There... All of my cards are on the table. Haikan, you wanted to know about your family...Well... This is what we've come to." His attention goes back to Sebastian. "I have no major political goals, if that's what you're fearing, and I have nothing against the capital. I just want everyone to stop dying around me... I'll do anything to make that happen."

He puts his hand on Haikan's shoulder. "Please teach Haikan... and let me travel with him." His voice grew ever quieter. "I'm... only telling you this... because you are obviously humble enough to suppress your fame, and... I pray that you are still humble enough to respect human life, even in as helpless a position as I."
Last edited by Mikail on Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:14 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian nodded to Haikan, not wanting to belabour the point. "I had not expected to hire you as personal bodyguards," he agreed, confirming the brothers' interpretation of defending his honour. "But if it becomes known you are my men, then you assume all the benefits and hazards that go with it. You need not be in my presence to feel those effects, for good or ill." And that was all he said about it.

The baron listened to Mikail's story with clear sympathy despite the dramatic phrasing, wondering how differently he might have turned out if raised in similar circumstances. He was glad it was merely an exercise in imagination and not memory, after seeing the anguish on the achadhiel's face as he related the sad tale.

"I am sorry for your loss," he said as Mikail finished up, expressing sorrow over the family deaths. "And I do not believe you have anything specific to fear in the capital, so long as you abide by the laws of the city. If you find different, I would very much like to hear about it."

"You have an honourable goal," Sebastian continued, speaking of restoring the family to some measure of success. "And one I can easily stand behind. Just be sure," he cautioned Mikail seriously, "that the 'anything' you do does not undermine who you are. There are means and ends, and the two are not separate from one another. Do not lose your way along the path to your goal."

Sebastian then turned to the adhiel. "And now your turn, Haikan. You have spoken of honour, and growing into a warrior and leader of men. Of using your skills for good. But aside from your caravan venture, have you no hard targets? Nothing longer term? Thoughts on how you would use this knowledge I might impart to change or gain some specific thing?"

The baron smiled disarmingly at the adhiel. "Everyone has dreams, Haikan," he encouraged.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

My mother is... dead? This can't be! I haven't even met her yet! As his brother wraps up his story Haikan's expression seems dazed and sorrowful. This isn't the time for mourning, I've got to stay focused, I'm sure this is harder for Mikail. Putting his hand on Mikail's shoulder, he gives him a comforting nod. "There, there, that's enough brother, it'll be alright." He begins to have some negative emotions of his own, as he becomes selfishly sad about his mother.

He closes his eyes and calms himself with a shaky breath, and counts backwards from ten. When he's finished he feels much better, and his brave expression returns just as Sebastian turns to him. "Well, if you must know, I'm currently striving to become as you said, a strong, honest and courageous warrior, as well as a trustworthy and respectable leader. In whatever I do, I want to make sure that I find my path in doing what is right for the sake of my deceased human father and mother. Believe it or not, Baron, I don't have any hard 'targets,' but I would like to meet my adhiel father. Having just met my brother not long ago, as well as just yesterday learning of their plight, it became obvious that I should rightly help their situation. The benefits that we will reap from this caravan will make that possible."

Dreams... I am not yet worthy to chase dreams, I must become stronger, and more skilled before I can even take a first step toward my dream... His expression again sinks. Perhaps because he found out that his birth mother was dead just moments ago, or perhaps because he has a burdening emptiness that came with being an orphan, who was raised as an alien among none who were like him. I always told myself that doing what was right by my father was the way... But after hearing that my birthmother is dead... Why do I feel like my upbringing brought me no merit whatsoever? The word Mother won't stop echoing through my head! Dammit! My mind is going down the wrong path! Compose yourself, Haikan! He focused his mind again, and tried to remind himself that his plight is not so bad, that the glass is half full. Father is still alive, Mikail is still alive. All I can do is bring honor to my family and justice to the world I've been put in, I'll concern myself with dreams once I've solidified my priorities. He was determined not to make his inner burden a worry of those around him. Haikan continues, doing his best to maintain a businesslike voice, with his usual charm.

"To tell you the truth, my short term goal is simply to become strong, wise and skilled with my schlaeger... I might like to learn something of magick, that always intrigued me...but a dream? Well... Being an adhiel orphan in King's Court never really gave me a welcome niche, so finding a certain identity in myself and a sense of purpose is one thing that I seek at this point. I know that I have obligations toward the caravan. My ultimate dream however has not made itself clear to me yet, but I am prepared for the day that it does."
Last edited by Haikan on Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

...I'm not dead? This man is a Dominican is he not? A follower... no, a Baron in the capital city of the Mad God! He chose to spare me, as if that was the expected thing to do? This man is truly more than meets the eye.

As Haikan stared blankly, Mikail realized just how much he had dumped on him. He couldn't tell him the night before because he hadn't the strength to relive it, yet in this imagined life or death ultimatum, he threw it all out, likely crushing Haikan's hopes of meeting his Adhiel mother. When Haikan began speaking, Mikail just looked at the table, completely dejected.

A few burns later, he pushed his chair out a little bit. "Excuse me for a moment." At this point the composure in his voice is completely restored. He stood up for a flicker and walked a few meters from the table. I seem to have built a tolerance to my disgusting failures at this potion, because I'm not throwing up. Haikan didn't last night either, but he seems to have a little more fortitude than I do, even though I am half human. He wished that he had kept the other potion in the flask instead, because he really wanted to wash his mouth out.

Mikail turned back to the table and spoke through his scarf in a deep, emotionless voice. "Please, continue. Haikan can fill me in on the details. I need some air. This affair is mostly yours and his to negotiate. I shall simply comply, whatever the outcome." He takes a few steps away from them, but then stops. "Baron, you told me not to compromise myself, or undermine who I am... I only wish that those words could give me solace. Unfortunately, I have nothing to undermine. I am a dreamer without a dream, and a missionary without a mission. I pray that these next few yahren can give me meaning. In the meantime, I am only useful for developing my talents. Every man has a river that he must someday cross... Maybe if someday I could even see the water, I could get my feet wet. Until then, I am nothing more than a pulse that can hopefully pump a little blood back into my family." His eyes are completely serious, and utterly devoid of emotion. As he stepped away to leave the terrace, he looked back one more time, and bent down on one knee, hanging his head. "Thank you for hearing my story. I hope I have not put too much weight on either of your ears. Should you need me, I will be right inside. I suppose I shall take it upon myself to see if we can get ourselves a meal while I cool off." He then proceeded to walk back inside the Dragon's Den.
Last edited by Mikail on Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian's eyes flared, and his cheeks stained crimson as he learned that the two had just met the other day, and that the plight of their shared family was nearly as fresh to Haikan's ears as it was his own. "My apologies to the both of you," he interjected somewhat awkwardly. "I had not realized these family musings were so recently discovered. I did not mean to put your pain on display."

He remained respectfully quiet as Haikan fumbled to find something more meaningful in his future, before waving away any concern. "Not everyone has their future mapped out," he allowed, "Perhaps not even most know that. There will be time to set your sights on achievements yet."

When Mikail next fell to the emotion of the conversation, Sebastian let him go with an understanding nod and few simple words. "I wish you the best in finding the person waiting to emerge then, Mikail. We will speak more in the future, I am sure."

As the achadhiel left the table, Sebastian let his eyes linger on his departing figure a flicker or two before returning his attention to Haikan. "Your brother appears to have endured some difficult times, and you yourself, if recent news is anything to trust. If you wish, there will be time in the future to talk more about this." THe baron waited a moment before continuing, if Haikan was agreeable.

"But if you are able to continue, then let us conclude this discussion. I am willing to take you and your brother under my wing, so to speak. Your enthusiasm if nothing else convinces me there is something within you that can help the world. And if I can play even a small part in bringing that to fruition, then so shall I do. The good of the kingdom is paramount, and I would do what I can to ensure a more stable and prosperous future for us all."

"Reestablishing trade across the Border Estates and to the capital is key to that. A return to normalcy, you might say. And your venture, and specifically you providing a secure environment for that venture to flourish, is vitally important."

"Tell me a little more about the business end of things, and by that I mean who are the partners in your venture?" Sebastian leaned forward slightly, interested in the adhiel's response. "Keep in mind that in politics, appearances are at least as important as fact, and so it would not do for me to ally myself with a dubious venture. While I do not doubt your own sincerity, it is important for me to know who you are partnered with, in case I know something of them you do not."
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Mikail..." The young elf quietly voiced his name, shocked by his philosophical words. He was after all, still getting to know his brother. He felt as if they understood each other alarmingly well for two who just met, but this melodramatic display was entirely unexpected. He looks down at where his food would be, with his thoughts racing so haphazardly, he longed to stuff his face. His stomach burned with hunger, but he was mildly comforted by the Baron's words of encouragement and understanding. This is a man he could learn from, and it looks like he's going to.

He can't deny that he has become sad upon all that he has learned of his family, let alone the annihilated Taquar, but he has to put away the sadness growing within him and continue. He would have plenty of time to discuss his emotions at a later date. "That's alright, Baron. You couldn't have known... I... Well... I have to think a minute." The sorrowful elf closes his eyes and he is silent for at least twenty flickers, calming himself. Breaking the silence, at first his voice is a mite shaky, but it grows stronger as he speaks.

"I... Well, my mind is clouded from all the information that has just been put on me over the past day, so forgive me, but I have to recollect before I can accurately describe all of my associates, their goals, and their tendencies to you. In the meantime, I have one more request I would like you to consider." He taps his hands on the desk a few times, in a rhythm to a song he had played upon entering the city the day before, but as he catches himself, he puts his hands in his lap and continues. The courageous tone returned to his voice as he illuminated the intentions of the company to the Baron.

"...Well... First off I should tell you that as we are securing trade routes for the first time in quite a while, it will be very perilous. Hopefully if we take the steep risk of creating a beaten path, safe transition will become possible and affordable for everybody in the Western Kingdom. The only roadblock currently is recruiting reliable mercenaries. We have to be certain that they are skilled and obedient to my command. The success of this mission and the safety of trade in the entire Kingdom depends on it. Since we need such capable mercs, I can't imagine it'll be easy to find them. So far that's the only part I'm concerned about. Finance isn't my department, but yet I am to command these hired soldiers that will almost definitely ask for some monetary compensation along with their free food and board, no matter how noble the cause. I also am expected to recruit them myself. I am to gather between twenty and thirty skilled swords and bows." He lets out a sigh and looks around for a moment. With his finger he combs the hair that is beginning to fall into his face, back behind his right ear.

"I say this because I wanted to ask you if you could point me in the direction of any ex-soldiers, or trustworthy, talented mercenaries over the next several weeks while I am under your wing, so to speak. Preferably these would be men that would be eager to work for such a noble cause. Such assistance wouldn't take much time or worry, and I imagine it would be quite easy for a Baron, but it would enormously contribute to the success of our mission. Not to mention that if a preponderance of the mercenaries we hire are by your suggestion, that would cause my being a student of your discipline to bring said noble mercenaries to readily trust my command."

He awaits the Baron's response, thinking back to the business meeting he and the other three authorities for the company had last night, searching his mind for an accurate recollection of Anistis, Mikail, and Matiel Escariot for the Baron.
Last edited by Haikan on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:44 am, edited 30 times in total.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

"That is a goodly number of men," Sebastian agreed, brow furrowing as he pondered the difficulty in finding so many warriors. "With the kingdom still recovering from all that has occurred in the last yahren, such numbers will only be available at a premium. And you may have to take on some you'd rather not, in better circumstances."

"I've not had much call to use mercenaries myself, and I'm not sure I'd call any I've seen honourable. At least not in the manner you mean," he observed with a smirk, before pausing to stroke his beard in thought. "There are some with an honest reputation though, and I think that is what you'd best be seeking. Money will cover your loyalty concerns, if they are honest."

"I may have a name or two I could offer, people who might be able to help you find a reputable company or two. But," Sebastian reminded Haikan, dragging the conversation back around to his previous question, "I still want to hear about your partners first. If I send you to these men with my recommendation, I am tied to the venture. That won't happen until I know who I am dealing with, beyond you of course."

Return to “KC Archive”