Finding a Mentor (Chyril 28th MT)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Haikan
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Haikan »

As the memories of the eveningtide in the tavern flow back, Haikan smiles with anticipation. It was truly a great company that he shared, and he was confident that Sebastian would agree.

"Right, of course, you said you need a confirmation of the integrity of this mission... Well I may or may not have told you, but I am the Captain of the venture, so my honest nature will be reflected in the actions made by the company. In the time that I spend following you, you can make the judgment as far as my personal integrity is concerned. I am in charge of the military end, gathering the mercenaries, establishing the routes we take, and I carry the responsibility of handling diplomatic encounters with belligerent customers. That being said, I do have an equal partner who actually is the one that helped Mikail and I work out the plans for the venture. He's a very capable scholar, and he handles the financial and public relations end. His name is Matiel Escariot."

"We both have equal authority and influence on the company, but he has made a point to be rather dry and professional, as opposed to my ambitious and enthusiastic nature. He thought my excitement to be foolish, and we did disagree somewhat about idealism- or the lack thereof- and the pursuit of ones dreams and goals. I was also quite shocked when he outright confessed that he hated elves, but it's not something I feel I have to worry about. Despite his intelligence he's very unpleasant in a conversation, still... It doesn't seem he means harm to anyone, let alone the kingdom. I'm not so naiive to refuse the possibility that darkness lies in his heart, for that reason I will naturally have a close eye on him. We both have the power to veto the other, so neither is likely to slip up. In the event that he does harbor tainted plans, I can make sure that we remain an honest and just business, and he can keep me from making financial blunders. An impasse will result with a vote between Anistis the acolyte, Mikail, Matiel, and myself, as well as any other lesser authorities that may join at a later date. The category of lesser authorities are those that are trustworthy, but aside from impasse voting don't actually have any sway of command."

"Now you've met Mikail, he is the apothecary and cook for the mission, but he refused the responsibility of any title or authority, power of vote aside. Other than the three of us, the rest will be employed mercenaries and patrons. A special patron that may decide to join at the last minute is a very young acolyte named Anistis. He is far more open-minded than most priestly folk, and his enthusiasm and spiritual talent would be useful for keeping spirits high, and he may even have a knack for medicinal practice." He looks up as he thinks, raising his hand behind his head and scratching the back of his neck. "I think that's about it... Yeah, that's all the names of the authorities so far that are a part of the company. We should find one more lesser authority so that the impasse voters will be an odd number though..." The flaring resolute look in his eyes makes his confidence in the company clear. "Baron, I assure you that the young Mikail and Anistis are as close to being pure at heart as any mortal can be. I'm not sure about Matiel, but I think his purpose is just." He leans back in his chair and stretches his arms out, and his stomach groans, after a few flickers he returns to his normal upright position and continues.

"Now, is there filth spattered on any of the names I mentioned? I'm rather confident that there isn't, but you did ask, and if anyone would know something of that sort, I'm sure it would be somebody as socially aware as you."
Last edited by Haikan on Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:05 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Post by Sebastian Beauvais »

"I am not aware of anything in particular to be concerned about, in these partners you have named," Sebastian replied after listening attentively to Haikan's summary. They were all unfamiliar to him, although he could probably have them checked out through his Vanguard contacts. "It seems you have an opinion on each, and plans to monitor and adjust that opinion based on continued observation. That is a wise practice, important in business and all corners of life, really."

"Aside from that," Sebastian sat back in his chair, leaning on an elbow with his hands clasped by his hip, "I would offer two additional comments. Keep a close watch on this Escariot fellow, for anyone who announces they hate your race must invite suspicion. Even if it were a joke of sorts, it is in extremely poor taste and speaks of a character trait that bears monitoring."

"The second warning I would offer is the Church. I know not your religious inclinations, and to be honest do not feel it should be particularly relevant," the baron admitted candidly. "I believe that is a personal decision, and so long as the social rules of society are upheld then the good of the kingdom is served. However, an agent of the Church almost certainly will not bear this relaxed an attitude. Despite this Anistis' apparent good nature, he serves an uncompromising master," he warned. "You would do well to monitor that as well, lest you get caught in the machinations of the Church. An adhiel will be viewed as a pagan by many, regardless of who you worship. That carries risks, to you and to your venture."

Sebastian nodded, and then let a small smile escape to lessen the heavy air of his warnings. "There. Let that be my first offerings as a mentor, Haikan. And since all such relationships are based on a back-and-forth flow of information," the young baron laughed openly, "perhaps you can tell me how we get some service? I am famished!"
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Yes sir."
As Sebastian gave him his first lesson, Haikan nodded and studiously took mental notes. A good student always remembers the words of his teacher. He contemplated pulling out a parchment and writing them down, but his scribing was very poor, and nobody other than himself could possibly read it. Then again, the notes would be just for him. He did end up pulling out one of two pieces of crumpled papyrus he had with him and a pen, with a jar of ink. He left his inkwell at home, so he just opened the jar and set the lid beside it. He licks the tip of the pen and dabs it in the ink jar. His pen moves slow as he thinks of what characters are appropriate, and for words he couldn't recall or come close to spelling out, he just skipped or replaced with an easier phrases, but the names he guessed at, only having basic written knowledge of the language he spoke so well. He thoughtfully scribes the warnings numerically nonetheless:

" 1. Wach out fore Eskaryot. Mateels character bears monitaring.

" 2. Church... Bad attitude, uncompromising mastur. Monitar Anistis, avoid church. Church is risk to pagan and elf."

He places the lid back on the inkjar and dutifully looks over his notes. They are so poorly written that he thinks back to Sebastian's warnings, and reads the notes, to associate the two for future reference. This really is terrible, but... then again I'm an adventurer, not a scribe... He licks his fingers and wipes the ink off the pen, and then he sets all of his tools to the side.

"Thank you for the thoughtful warnings, I have written your first lesson down for future reference, although I'm sure my memory won't fail me." He looks down at his chickenscratch, and self consciously folds the papyrus in half, to prevent it from being read.

"I will watch Matiel. I did not think to concern myself with his racism, but now that you mention it, that could be indicative of suspicious behavior. His obstinate nature that I mentioned earlier caught my attention, and led me to believe he could possess treacherous, threatening, or merely selfish ideas."

"Anistis may or may not join the company later, but I will take heed of your second warning as well as the first. Despite the angry persecuting reputation of men of the cloth, he seems to view the religion from an entirely different perspective. Regardless though, if anything is said that the church should not hear, I suppose I shall see to it not reaching his ears. I don't plan on doing anything outside the laws of the Kingdom though, so I don't think trouble will find me... The only perils I expect to face come from bloodthirsty Orcs. Orcs that will not see mercy if they should attack us."

Upon Sebastian's mention of food, he looks around at everyone on the terrace, then back at the inner section of the Den. "I think due to the slow service Mikail was going inside to order food. He should be back in a burn or two. If you need I could go after him, but I'm sure he'll return shortly."
Last edited by Haikan on Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gutter Rat
Retired staff

Post by Gutter Rat »

OOC: As Sando is having account difficulties at the moment, I'm posting a post that he typed up and e-mailed me for him. Hope no-one minds.

Drat! I've managed to sleep through the whole of the evening. I guess the trip drained me more than I'd originally thought it had.

Sando slowly made his way down the slightly intimidating stairs, lost in his self-chiding. He'd planned on taking a nap and being up in time for supper on the previous eveningtide. Instead, the drowsy little halfling spent his first night in the big city sleeping soundly and dreaming of rickety farm carts full of hens.

Then it hit him.
The aroma of aromas. The opulent odor of odors.

"Flat-cakes!" Sandy gushed. His mother's flat-cakes were his favorite morning snack. He was sure that this human varient (pancakes, did they call them?) wouldn't live up to his high expectations. But he was, nevertheless, utterly starving and ready to feast. He hadn't indulged in nearly an entire day, after all.

Sando continued to make his way down the stairs, now with more purpose in his step... until a familar voice rose above the morning chatter of the establishment.

Sebastian wrote:"perhaps you can tell me how we get some service? I am famished!"

Two little eyes panned across the room and landed squarely upon the back of the head belonging to the Sebastian Beauvais.

His hunger immediately faded into a secondary concern. Sando was born and raised in Brie. His family, friends, and everyone he knows lives and dies by the fate of the small town in the Border Estates.

Budding roseflowers, the Mother be praised! My very first morningtide in the capital and I've already happened across a man who shares my concerns and struggles! Not only that, but he has the power to make changes. Change.

"Yes, change is what needs to be made," Sandy continued his monologue out loud in muttered halfling dialect as he scurried over to the hungry Baron.

Mustering up his best human salutation, Sando stood directly behind the Baron (in a decidedly awkward manner) and spoke in an excited, but professional tone, "Baron Beauvais, sir. My name is Sando Haymaker. Of Brie Haymakers. I is utterly elated to have an opportunity to introduce myself to you. And your companion, of course," he quickly added, after catching himself and glancing quickly across the table at Haikan.
Last edited by Gutter Rat on Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daemons come out at night...and so do the rats.
Posting availability: Almost daily, if I can swing it.
Sando Haymaker
Civus

Post by Sando Haymaker »

OOC: Back in action. Thanks so much, Rat!
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail walked back onto the Terrace with three plates with four pancakes on each, and placed two of them in front of Haikan and the Baron. After seeing the other guest, he paused.

"Oh... How rude of me. I didn't realize we had another guest on our hands..." He placed the third plate in front of the little guy. He then said "I suppose I should fetch myself a plate then... and perhaps some cutlery," as he turned to walk away. Is that a Halfling or a human child? I didn't imagine they'd be too warmly welcomed by the Mad God's men. Maybe I'm judging them too harshly... No. The Mad God imbues his followers with ignorance and hate. That considered... I can't fathom why Sebastian is so kind! I must be too harsh... I must be.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian watched as Haikan wrote down his advice. It wasn't the reaction he expected, but he was not going to chide the adhiel for his actions. Why douse Haikan's enthusiasm over such a small matter? Instead the baron watched with barely concealed good humour.

He had just finished nodding his agreement to the adhiel, that he would wait for Mikail to return, when a voice piped up behind him and caused his to swivel about in some surprise. His eyes remained wide, but a smile joined them as Sando introduced himself.

"It is my pleasure, master Haymaker," Sebastian replied from his awkward position. "Please, won't you join my companions and I for a bite of breakfast? It's always nice to see a face from home here in the capital!"

Sebastian gestured to a spare chair that the halfling could use, just in time for Mikail to come back with three plates of pancakes. Before he could apologise to the achadhiel for the change in numbers Mikail was off again, so instead Sebastian promised himself to pay for the entire meal. That should make up for the inconvenience.

"This is Haikan, and that fellow who so graciously passed over his breakfast to you is Mikail," the baron explained to Sando. "They are brothers interested in starting a trading venture to, among other places, Brie."

"And what brings you to Kings Court, Sando? In search of some excitement that our pastoral community cannot provide, perhaps?"
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Yes, please join us, Sando." He takes the initiative to actually stand up and pull the chair out that the young man would sit in, afterwards returning to his seat across from Sebastian. "Maybe you could even come along with us, if you are interested, master Haymaker. We are actually looking for another to join the council of vote for the company." A gleaming smile follows his words, and he focuses his gaze on Sando, making sure not to alienate him in any way. "Currently our prime concern is gaining investors for money and recruiting mercenaries, but all the responsibilities of a business firm shall come along with it, and we do need one more councilman. I would naturally fill you in on the details if you were interested, and you would naturally have to prove your commitment and loyalty. The council can only be of trustworthy associates."

Sando Haymaker, from Brie. He is a halfling from our initial trading area, so he could likely gain us clients in the farmland! That could prove very useful, not only for our starting reputation, but also for gathering investors to help us start out... He may prove essential, and after all... The more, the merrier! "Sebastian is my mentor as of this morning, so I may be spending plenty of time in Brie over the next couple months. While I'm there I could tell you more about the company."

He then turns his attention to the Baron, and nods inquisitively. "Teacher, how much time exactly could I spend in your wake? I plan on spending Firstday through Wydday in the capital, but that aside I'm willing to entirely devote my time to training, learning, and observing. That is, until Jygust 13th, when I'm thinking we may leave for an inaugural test convoy."

He gives his attention back to Sando briefly on a side note, to explain the test convoy: "The test convoy would carry only enough goods to rear a small profit, it's main purpose being to secure our route from the Court to Brie, and establish a trustworthy business in which people would stake valuable goods of high quantity."

He immediately turns back to the Baron. "Anyway, I'm able and willing to devote six days a week between today and Jygust 13th to my training, does that sound appropriate?"
Last edited by Haikan on Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sando Haymaker
Civus

Post by Sando Haymaker »

Sando's miniature halfling eyes grew as wide as plums as he took in this amazing alignment of fate. If it hadn't been obvious at first that Sandy was excited, it sure should be by now.

Mikail wrote:Oh... How rude of me. I didn't realize we had another guest on our hands..."

I've heard many things about the generous nature of the Baron and the company he keeps, but this is unbelievable, Sando churned. He bowed deeply towards Mikail in a most grateful way and climbed up onto the chair offered by Haikan.

Sebastian wrote:"And what brings you to Kings Court, Sando? In search of some excitement that our pastoral community cannot provide, perhaps?"

"Gentlemen. It is an amazing thing that we have found ourselves here togethering on this morningtide-time. My heart is literally warmering with the thought of happening across the very conversation I've long since dreaming of with the very man who can make it a reality."

Sando paused for a moment as the smell of the dish sitting before him slightly overwhelmed his senses. He shook slightly from a starved weakness.

"I come here not in search for the excitement. But in search for a better way of living for my people! Baron, as you know, the people of Brie have an amazingly wealth of grain-producing lands and livestock sustainer locations. Education, roads, housing... none of these things reflect the wealth that we should be amassing. Most children are not taught anything beyond how to reaping the fields. The only cart paths are swimming ponds in the rainy season and tough to traverse in the dry! The average family farm house is nothing more than a small hole in the ground... even on the successful farms! I should know. This is not a problem of farmings, but of distribution, sirs. I intends to work on finds a way to till the soil and start fresh, so to speak. I am talking of profit."

Sando took one more deep breath and it nearly finished him. He was officially trembling with hunger at this point.

"As such, I would be very interested in learns more about your plans and your firm. I know my way around the farm and the negotiation table. Tell me more and we shall see if I can be of use to you."

After managing to spit out the last few sentences, Sando Haymaker proceded to gorge himself with the delicious- steaming hot pancakes that he had been so generously given. He could not help the fact that Mikail had not returned. He needed to eat. And boy... halflings sure can pack it in. His knife moved like a great fissure of magickal energy tearing open large crevasses into the soft cakes and his fork, a majestic trident; shoveling bits into his mouth hastily.
Last edited by Sando Haymaker on Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian let Haikan and Sando speak of the venture without interrupting. His opinions would cloud things once way or the other, and both needed to express themselves without his overbearing direction. Even when he meant well his position as baron leant undue weight to his words, and so he had learned to speak as infrequently as possible. It lent his opinion even greater weight, but did allow others to come to their own conclusions beforehand.

Eventually the direction of conversation forced to speak, and he addressed each man in turn, starting with Haikan. "That sounds very aggressive, but if you can manage it then go ahead. Just make sure you provide time for other pursuits," he cautioned the adhiel, "to give your body and mind time away from business. Overall your progress will improve because of it."

"And don't expect me to be at your side all that time. I have agreed to be your mentor, not your trainer. I can direct you to a few individuals that can help - men in the Vanguard who will be able to guide you in your training, and perhaps a name or two at the college. We can expect to meet perhaps once a week to discuss how things are going, and any new developments that have arisen since our last meeting."

Sebastian then turned to Sando, gesturing for the halfling to continue eating. It might not have mattered, based on the gusto Sando showed, but the baron saw no harm in smoothing over the issue with a simple wave of the hand. The farmer's hopes were perhaps not as easily dealt with as Haikan's, but still deserved a response.

"I don't disagree that Brie is an integral part of the kingdom, master Haymaker. In fact, we are a lynchpin that keeps the kingdom strong from within. Many of the outlying holdings are important to the health of the nation, and yet do not carry the same glory the capital does."

"I encourage you to be innovative in your methods to improve life in Brie, within the normal business and trading regulations of course. There are rewards for those who can be constructively creative, even beyond the immediate personal gains," he hinted heavily. "If you need the assistance of my office, send a request through Master Edvar Cowan and he will look after you."

"And know that I am actively negotiating compensation to Brie for all she does on behalf of the kingdom. The current situation allows for a unique opportunity and I mean to make the most of it, for all the citizens of Brie."
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Of course, I shall set aside time for rest and study, I merely was expressing how much I was personally willing to commit to. I am well aware the difference between a mentor and a trainer, and do not expect you to be at my side that whole time. I just meant to inquire how much of that time would be spent learning from you." He bowed his head and his face flushed, his hair falling forward to hide it. This wasn't the first time his overexcited nature made him look a bit foolish, but he felt nervous as he realized how silly he must have sounded, implying such massive portions of time for a man as busy as the Baron. At least without clarifying beforehand. He composed himself, and brushed his hair to the side once more.

"Forgive my excited manner, Baron, once a week it is. I'll seek the vanguard for training partners I suppose, and I'll save the lessons in leadership and tactics for you on that weekly day, teacher." In all of his embarrassment, he forgot how hungry he was. He politely grabbed his fork and sliced a chunk from his stack of pancakes, and guided it into his mouth. Since he was learning from a noble, he decided to act as a noble, and behave as collected and polite as possible. After about half his pancakes were gone, he smiled at Sando's feasting and was grateful. Sando's display made Haikan seem like a master of etiquette in comparison.

"Sando, I can think of a way that you could assist the prosperity of the farming families in Brie." He now realized that not only would the halfling be helpful to them, but that they could help the halfling's plight in return. He sets down his fork and puts his hands at the sides of his plate.

"If you were to come along with us and assist us in our deliveries and trade with Brie, you could directly help those families by being a business mind, or negotiator with the locals of Brie." Picking up his fork, he takes one more bite of pancake, swallows it and continues.

"This is assuming you have a mind for business, or skills of negotiating." He adds the disclaimer quickly and returns his attention to the Baron. "This seems like quite a fortunate opportunity, doesn't it?"
Sando Haymaker
Civus

Post by Sando Haymaker »

Sando felt complete again. What was once an empty void through which an airship could have easily passed was now a sated tummy. He was not yet in physical pain, but he entirely intended to eat himself to that point. The halfling briefly pondered the intelligence of that decision while looking about the terrace in desperate hope to meet the eyes of a agile young server willing to grant him the masochistic pancake misery he so desired.

Listening to the words of both the elf Haikan and Sebastian, Sandy’s thoughts changed again from the sweet pleasures of breakfast to the hopeful vision of progress that sat before him.

“I greatly thank you for allowing me this point of contact, Baron,” he spoke in earnest rapture as he pulled out his trusty leather folio and jotted down the mentioned name.

“And your wordings come as a relief to me. I am sure that more talking with the farmers in areas outlying the town would do much to quell the many misconceptings and worryings. Funnily enough. The thing that I find most humorous about change is this—Changes happen with or without the push of direct impact. If we are wanting things to go our way, however, we must… what is the phrasing… handle things with care?”

Sando wiped the corner of his mouth with an handkerchief which he produced from his breast pocket as he continued, this time speaking chiefly to Haikan “Sales is my business, sirs. I know not how to show this to you or how to proving my self. All I can say is this- Improving Brie and the plight of similar peoples is my passion. I believe strongly in fair tradings. Allow me to travel to Brie and speak with my father and his local competitors. I am strongly feeling about my ability to produce results for you.”

Watching Haikan’s attempts to be a proper diner, Sando became slightly self-conscious about his own ghastly pancake rape.

“Please excuse my inappropriate behavior at the table. I am, in a word, famished.”

Sandy smiled. A facial expression that is not usually seen gracing his rugged race. He looked towards the pair in earnest anticipation. He wanted to see this through. He wanted to help. He wanted to make a difference. He wanted more pancakes.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail looked around and found his way back to the counter where he might be served again. He waved meekly after a few burns to get the attention of a server, hoping not to be a burden in this busy breakfast time.

Upon getting their attention, he asked: "Pardon me, but might I be able to order another plate of... pancakes?" He thought for a moment. They appear simple enough... I should give it a try. "Might I also be able to purchase some of the batter you make these out of, or perhaps the separate ingredients? I know this is a strange request, but if I could either make that purchase here or be led to a place where such could become reality, my day would be absolutely wonderful."

I promised I'd cook for our caravan, therefore I mustn't tarry. I have to begin learning how to do this as soon as I can. I know a little bit about cooking salves for alchemy, but I'm still in the dark as far as preparing ingredients for actual food is concerned.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

“If you really want to learn to make pancakes, then perhaps we might do a bit of business?” Throckmorton responds eyeing Mikail.

“Do you have any practice cooking, Measuring ingredients, and the like? One of our morning crew is going to be out for a few days as his wife just had a baby girl. I’m looking for someone to fill in morning tides for the next three days. Might you be interested?”
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian nodded twice, once accepting Haikan's apology for his earnestness and a second time for Sando's thanks for his time. For his part, the baron followed suit with the other two and savoured the taste of the pancakes.

Well, it wasn't the quiet meal I was planning, but an interesting brunch all the same, he thought to himself, as the adhiel and halfling continued to chat about Haikan's business opportunity. I suppose anything that encourages investment and a returning interest in Brie is worth the inconvenience.

Sebastian listened in with half an ear as he enjoyed the rest of his late breakfast, and kept a casual watch on the rest of the floating patio, noting any interesting faces or other goings-on.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail's eyes widened. This is exactly the opportunity I need! Things couldn't have gone better! Mikail began feeling overwhelmed by his good fortune in the past 24 candlemarks, but soon choked it down enough to speak.

"I do have experience measuring ingredients and whatnot, as alchemy is a minor hobby of mine. However I don't have much experience actually preparing food. I would love to take your offer, but if you wouldn't mind, might I purchase a small portion of your ingredients, along with a recipe or some advice? That way I may practice preparing the food without wasting your time on the clock." Mikail began to feel excited, and almost started to laugh, but instead just smiled.
Last edited by Mikail on Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matiel Escariot
Civus
Location: In a place surrounded by farms I my family does not own.

Post by Matiel Escariot »

Matiel was a patron of the Laughing King's for almost three years, ever since he was introduced to the place. He didn't care much for other establishments here in King's Court. He'd heard of the Dragon's Den of course, and their famous pan cakes, but pan cakes were for breakfast. Matiel never took his breakfast outside of his own home during the early mornings. Now was not an exception. His belly was full and so was his mind as he walked towards the place. The conversation he had with Haikan and Mikail was still fresh and ringing. He had spent the later night before planning and structuring much of their needs. Now, was a different matter.

Oh yes, it was very much so, related to the work he had intended to push. The act of organizing an entirely new way of thinking regarding one aspect of life here in the Western Kingdom was no joke, especially for him. Matiel had no mirth to sing concerning the venture's worth. If anything was going to change, it always had to start from the money side of things, for people only had time for everything else once their bellies were full. Matiel knew it so well. A kingdom, even this one, was never built on blood and toil. It was built on bread and butter, with sidings of meat and fish. Everything else just popped in, from the need to write, until the need to kill.

So, calmly, Matiel entered the establishment and breathed in the place. He wanted to see the difference between this and the Laughing King's. Sadly, he saw it immediately. He preferred the Laughing King's, and the aura of dimness it exuded. Here, everything was so bright, so fresh, and smelling of pancakes. Matiel wanted his bread, butter, and milked tea. Everything else was ersatz.

He walked to the side, not that far from Haikan's company, failing to notice them as he entered. His mind still wandered over the fact that he wished he'd set the meeting time for the Laughing King's and not the Dragon's Den.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Sitting on the far side of the table from the entrance, as he always does, Haikan easily spots Matiel walking in. Matiel is here for our meeting, is it that late already? Time certainly flies... Oh well I'm sure he would like to hear all that has happened, and meet our potential associate Sando. Also, my Teacher will get to meet Matiel, that in itself is lucky. He slightly bows his head to Sebastian and Sando.

"Excuse me for one moment, my business partner is actually here right now." Having said that he stands up and calls out Matiel's name with his left arm in the air. If he spots him, he pulls the seat to his left out, the one to his right being already filled by Sando. Mikail could sit between Matiel and Sebastian, since Matiel is taking the one he sat in earlier. "Please have a seat and join us." He extends his arm toward the Baron: "This is Baron Sebastian Beauvais. And Baron, this is Matiel Escariot. How fortunate it is that you now have met everybody in charge of our company." He returns to his seat and almost continues the discussion. "Oh, how could I have forgotten, this gentleman to my right is Sando Haymaker, he is from Brie, and is a potential associate, possibly offering his business expertise to our firm."

"Mikail ran to the kitchen to fetch himself more food, but he is present at this meeting. Heh, this casual breakfast has actually turned into a meeting it seems..." He ponders the likelihood of that, but then recalls that this morningtide there was supposed to be a business meeting in this very spot anyway, and it doesn't seem like such a coincidence anymore.
Sando Haymaker
Civus

Post by Sando Haymaker »

Sando temporarily abandoned his search for additional sweet, crusty goodness and made a little space for himself on the table in front of him. He sat his small traveling inkwell upon the cool wooden surface and began a new section in his notebook.

Scrawled Messily wrote:The Company One Keeps

Below the title he began to scribble in a halfling-human mix of barely decipherable short hand. The little farmer had a sharp mind and it was racing about without him. He had felt it necessary to catch up with it and pen some of the information that was flying through his conscious brain.

The ideas he recorded concerned opportunities involving all facets of the organization. He was primarily concerned with funding for the venture. Funding and client prospecting.

Yes... Sando thought to himself, muttering a little under his breath as he often did, We must differentiate ourselves if we are to establish a brand. We shall need to know more about portal delivery. How much does it cost? How far in advance does one need to register a shipment? What are the destination restrictions? How invasive is the security screening process in regards to local regulations compared to the inspections performed on incoming caravans? In all, what makes us more attractive to potential clients?

Sandy did not see Matiel in the near distance. Nor did he hear Haikan's beckoning.

After a few moments' time, he had filled two entire pages of creamy white-yellow paper. He let up a moment to allow the ink to dry before he turned to the next fresh space. In his pause, he looked about the table, surveying those around him with more focused eyes than he had worn earlier. He was attempting to gauge the reactions and perhaps the intentions of those around him.

A morning breeze pleasantly tussled his hair a bit, reminding the halfling that it was, indeed, a wonderful day.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Throckmorton eyed Mikial for a moment. “I could really use the help in the kitchen, just two days. Believe me, you will learn there. Our chef is one of the best in the land. As for ingredients, most are common and can be picked up at market; flour, eggs, milk and the like.”

Throckmorton leans closer and talks in a whisper. “However there be a few special ingredients we use here. And if you take me up on the offer, I would ask you not be nosing them around, trade secrets you know.”
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail thought for a moment. This is a good opportunity. I shouldn't destroy it by strangling the kind man with questions... I'd better leave it at that.

"Very well, I shall come to aid you. I will arrive at the tip of the morningtide. My name is Mikail Verida, and I would like to thank you once again." Mikail picked up the pancakes after their conversation was over and bid the man a good day as he made his way back to the table.

He saw Matiel standing there and was about to offer to get another plate, but his hunger was eating through his sides at this point. Instead, without saying a word he sat down in the empty seat and began eating as politely as he could despite his hunger. He threw Haikan a mildly upset look for making him sit between two strangers, but then shook it off. If he was to travel in a caravan, he'd have to learn how to warm up to strangers. I suppose the only reason I fear people here is because of the genocidal Mad God. As he doesn't seem to have the bloody grip I expected, I suppose I should loosen up a little bit. Even the vanguard outside the city showed me compassion.
Matiel Escariot
Civus

OOC: Sorry for the delay. My grandmother died recently and we spent the entire week before for her wake and burial ceremonies.

IC:

Matiel was surprised to see Haikan this early in the week. They had a discussion over weekly meetings, but this was hardly one of those decisions. This was pure coincidence. Matiel's own agenda included the possibility of garnering more men into the fold of their venture--having invited a couple of potentials here. He was, however, unwilling to let such a coincidence end in disgruntled surprise on his part.

"Haikan," he rose from his seat with a smile, offering his hand to accept the elf's greeting and invitation, "I must say, this is quite a pleasant surprise."

Matiel motioned to accept the offered seat, but stopped abruptly when Haikan mentioned the two others at the table. His eyes glistened and his smile beamed as the introductions were made. He nodded his head as a bow to the halfling and Baron of Brie. He then slid to his seat and let Haikan finish his words before he spoke again.

"I find it fortunate that you have gathered these gentlemen here. It is true, the nature of my visit here is business, and this little play at chance eases my intentions. Truth is, I had just invited two others to meet me here, now that you are also here, I can handle all the issues here and now."

Matiel acknowledged Mikail and then set his eyes intently upon the men of Brie.

"I am sure that the others have already briefed you on the nature of our little venture. Being that it is so, I'll push matters ahead already with a few more ideas I have been dwelling on these past few days. Tell me Baron, how effective has the Royal Post been at delivery?"

His eye then fell toward the halfling, and a trifling but amusing memory met him of another but more annoying halfling which he knew, "You sir, you propose your expertise upon this project? Well then, spill out here for us all. I am eager for other ideas myself. The only way we can keep this company together, is if it had several minds behind it. Yours would be a welcome addition."
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

"Good morningtide, Master Escariot," Sebastian greeted the latest newcomer to their rather cramped table. Do you recall coming in for a quiet bite of pancakes, he asked himself jokingly, while Matiel seated himself. Such was the lot of an important person, Sebastian supposed. Whatever that means.

As Haikan's other partner described a second planned meeting that could be combined with the one at Sebastian's table, the baron quickly realized it was time to excuse himself from present company and leave them to their business. "I should tell you, Master Escariot, that I am not actually part of your venture," the baron explained, "and so will not trouble your meeting long." But before he could leave, Matiel asked his somewhat odd question.

Sebastian paused, hands braced against the arms of his chair in preparation for raising himself erect, and stared curiously at Matiel. "I'm not sure what you mean, Master Escariot. The Mail has been running as usual, so far as I know. The invasion disrupted things temporarily of course, but I believe all is back to normal now."

"Why do you ask?" countered the baron.
Matiel Escariot
Civus

"The question, Sir, is that even if you say that the Royal Mail is alive and well, it does not discount the fact of how inefficient it goes about its business," Matiel took care not to arouse the Baron's ire with his voice, if not the blatant choice of his words. The Baron seemed to have taken an interest in what they were trying to do, evident in how he was now in Haikan's company. If the man was leaving, he needed to present his points quickly.

"I say this concerning two points. First, I sent you a letter, Sir, proposing something of great relevance concerning your position as a man of military influence. This letter was a copy of two others sent to Yin Lorin of the Paladins, and Michel Carbonneau; two others similar to your martial influence. Being that none of you have responded, I assume that the letters were either lost, too delayed to arrive, or have ultimately been destroyed. Now that you are here, I'll ask you now what I've proposed in my missive. This question might also be of interest to my partners, so I find it fortunate that you are all here now for me to present the idea too."

Matiel rested his breath and licked his lips before he continued:
"I am of the mind to produce a new weapon, and improvement upon the capabilities of ranged warfare and the amount of time and resources it consumes. The object of my idea is to improve the crossbow and its method manufacture, but such an endeavor needs funding, patronage. Patronage befitting of a military power. My proposal to you, sir, was more a request of audience with the vanguard, specifically: it's veterans. I understand that funding is hard to get by, which is why I offered the idea of this mercantile project to my partners. It was one or the other actually. If someone offered to fund my research and development, before I could set up the trade venture, I had thought to profit from the innovation and use it to fund the venture. If the venture took off first, I'd use my earnings to fund a private endeavor of developing said weapon. But, the true importance isn't on the money, it lies on the research. Which is why I sent the letters to you, Sir Yin, and Sir Michel."

"The second point, is something for me and my contemporaries to discuss, not something you may be interested in, but if you are, stay. That point is, to either take over the responsibility of the Royal Mail with our Trade Venture-legally of course and that would need a special assignment from the Regent, something I shall dwell upon-or offer a private option to private citizens of a post office that is more efficient and reliable than the Royal Post."

"My idea for this venture with my partners was one of being a logistics service. We deliver things from one end to the other, why not mail?"

Matiel reclined away from the table, done with his words, and offered Sebastian one last thought, "Interested?"
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Unable not to stare at Matiel, he ponders the usurpation of the conversation Matiel just pulled off. He's getting a bit carried away it seems, but then again, what do I know? Still I'm not sure the Baron has time for all this... Haikan knows that what Matiel is saying is important, but he's just a mite worried that the Baron may grow impatient with all the questions that are being asked of him. He barely knew him at this point, so his guess was as good as anyone's how Sebastian would respond. Matiel's egocentrism did not bother Haikan at all, but the Baron might get a little annoyed. For this reason he decides to lighten the awkward tone a bit by contributing some friendly words that might help the Baron remain interested.

"If I may say so, both the merchanting and the crossbow research would hugely benefit the kingdom, revolutionizing efficiency in both convenience, and security for the fine citizens of the continent. Baron, I understand you are busy, so I hope that this is not too much to ponder right now, with other things most likely preoccupying your thoughts."

If things get too longwinded, I shall propose that we adjourn and meet again. I don't really think some of these people have the patience for a meeting like the Tavern last eveningtide. Poor Sando must feel quite alienated in all this business talk, and business is his specialty... It seems that it's almost over though. The Baron looks as if he is ready to leave, and Mikail is probably shifting in his seat too.
Last edited by Haikan on Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “KC Archive”