Embassy of the Western Kingdoms - Jygust 30th, late ET

Moderators: Meridiuz, Grey Wolf, Graves, Mods

Rhoddin
Adventurer

Embassy of the Western Kingdoms - Jygust 30th, late ET

Post by Rhoddin »

An alien and misplaced complex nestled within the splendors of the Patrician's Ring, the Western Kingdoms Embassy, often called the "Terra West" by the locals, was a large and spacious complex surrounded by a stone wall washed white topped with wrought iron around it's entire, expansive grounds. The embassy could be accessed through a pair of wrought iron gates, black amid the white stone, and always guarded by a group of Western soldiers, their uniforms immaculate and perfect and their armors...heavy armors were widely used in the West...shined and glowed in the light.

As was his want, Rhoddin entered the circular plaza of mosaic stones that dominated the grounds , glancing uneasily still uneasy young fellow, even after all this time! at the statue of Dominicus carved from marble. He gazed quietly across the gardens and grounds of the embassy beyond the plaza were covered in a carefully-maintained lawn, the soil of the Citadel strangely lush and fertile, with wide conifers and broad deciduous trees occluding the wall beyond. Narrow walkways wound through the grounds to discrete places within the foliage, areas with circular benches where more leisurely discussions might be had.

Three buildings surrounded the plaza, the two on either side smaller but no less austere than the embassy itself directly ahead. The Embassy stabling and coach house stood on one side, it's wide, elaborate doors tucked between tall columns closed to protect the machines or the animals within, and the servant's quarters above were a series of elegant windows, each cased in lead and displaying elegant curtains within. Opposite this was the Barracks, where Sir Hagen of the Royal Order of Paladins administered security over the complex. A mirror to the coach house, the building was lined with tall, austere columns and topped with an inclined roof, several chimneys reaching beyond even this.

Rhoddin took his usual position, off to one side, screened by trees, but still able to observe the servant's quarters as he waited to catch a glimpse of Reise, just to ensure she was OK, of course.

Others may have called it stalking, but the young man preferred to think of it as keeping an eye on his former lover. In all honesty, he simply wanted to ensure himself she was still well, and safe. Even though the world of the Citadel seemed more secure than previous times, Rhoddin sensed that much violence and danger lurched just below the surface. He wasn't all that sure of what he could do about it, but he intended to try and see that Reise remained safe, or that someone paid if she didn't.

As he watched and waited, he considered the lessons he had learnt that day, lessons were best recorded in ones memory as some as possible!
[color=blue]Back from the brink, but still lost, damn some times just never change.[/color]
Reise Silverskye
Adventurer

Post by Reise Silverskye »

At long last, the day was done. Evening had finally come, and after ensuring that all of her work was done for the day, Reise had taken a long, relaxing bath. Now, feeling clean and dressed for a night on the town, she was ready to go out, catch some drinks, maybe flirt with a handsome young man or a pretty young woman if the mood took her. She never went home with anyone of course. She didn't have time for that. The only reason she ever would was if she thought that she had something to gain from it, other than sex.

She left her room, locking it behind her, and then left the barracks, gathering her hair behind her head with one hand and tying it up as she went. She walked right past the trees, unaware that she was being watched, and headed out the gate. As she went, she cast a discreete glance over her shoulder, just to make sure that Justine wasn't in sight. She liked the girl, and she found much benefit in spending time with her, but sometimes, she needed to get away from the acolyte and spend some time with some normal people. She wasn't sure if she could take another evening of religious dialogue.

Satisfied that the other girl wasn't going to suddenly swoop in on her, she turned and continued out into the streets.
"Oh look... my tax dollars at work, coming to arrest me." [i]National Treasure: The Book of Secrets[/i]
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

As the lithe brunette made her way past Rhoddin, the young man slowly came to his feet, ghosting behind her as she made to exit the compound. The young man was caught betwixt and between, unsure as to whether to approach Reise more directly, or simply trail along behind.

Still her sudden glance behind nearly made the decision for him, and he silently changed direction, hoping to remain obscure, at least for the moment, still had she seen him, Rhoddin really wasn't sure, but he continued to trail behind, watching Reises back, both physically and metaphorically.
[color=blue]Back from the brink, but still lost, damn some times just never change.[/color]
Reise Silverskye
Adventurer

Reise didn't see Rhoddin, or anything else that made her think she was being followed. Even though she had heard word that the Bard was somewhere in the Citadel, it was big place, and despite her best efforts, she hadn't learned anything more specific. She figured she could spent months searching, and still not find him; she certainly didn't expect him to have found her.

She continued walking along the street away from the Embassy. She didn't have any particular destination in mind. She was simply looking for a moderately upscale tavern or bar where she could enjoy a good drink and some intelligent company. She had no reason to think she might need to watch her back, so she remained oblivious to Rhoddin's presence.
"Oh look... my tax dollars at work, coming to arrest me." [i]National Treasure: The Book of Secrets[/i]
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

As Resise continued to walk, Rhoddin was struck by a sudden desire to talk to his former companion.

Moving quickly through the people between them, the young bard moved behind Reises left shoulder, before dropping a light hand on her shoulder.

"Well, well, well. You're looking more stunning than ever my dear. It would appear that the Citadel agrees with you." As he spoke his eyes twinkled with a playful glint, and smile etched across his face.
Reise Silverskye
Adventurer

Reise had just spotted a likely looking tavern down the street and was thinking about heading inside when the voice at her shoulder startled her. She jumped quite visibly, whirling around to face him in shock. Apparently, she hadn't been paying as much attention to her surroundings as she'd thought. Even as she gazed at Rhoddin in surprise, a small voice in the back of her head was chiding her for her mistake.

"Rhoddin!" she gasped finally. She put her hands on his shoulders as if she were about to hug him, but didn't quite finish the gesture. "What... I knew you were here in the city, but I couldn't find you! How... how did you find me?"

She suddenly remembered their surroundings and thought they might be making a scene. She slid an arm around his shoulder and guided him down the street, in the direction she'd already been going. "I wasn't sure if I'd ever see you again," she explained to him as she walked. "Certainly not this soon."

Post by Guest »

Taverns and alehouses weren't so frequent in this part of the Patrician's Ring. It seemed the emphasis was on restaurants or cafe's, respectable establishments for the aristocracy. But in the time Reise (and Rhoddin) had made their way along the street a couple of small, quiet bars became apparent. They looked expensive, but that was only because they were clean and the clientelle going in and out were moderately well dressed and held their alcohol well. The tavern that Reise had spotted seemed one such establishment, albeit a touch livelier than its competitors.

If Reise was concerned about making a scene, she needn't have feared. A few pedestrians cast mildly startled looks at the pair but their disinterested gazes slid away soon enough. They mightn't be the people to hold Opinions either, since they had moved from the richer part of the Patrician's Ring to those bordering the Inner.

[hr][/hr]
ooc: you now have a mod - feel free to interact with the environment however you want
Last edited by Guest on Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

As Reise's arm slid around his broad shoulder, the young bard smiled broadly. "Ah, a bard has ways of asking, that might not be answered if asked by another. It would seem you move in quite well placed circles these days my love."

As he spoke he cast a careful eye around. Those same assets that allowed him to find Reise seemed to be saying he was raising some unwanted attention, but he really couldn't understand why. Still better safe than sorry.

"It would seem that you have fared well since we last met. I had thought I caught sight of you not long after I arrived, but I was, umm, otherwise distracted," the young bard grimaced as he recalled his brief encounter with Silk. "Still, it seems things have settled for me somewhat since then.

"So tell me, how does the fairest lady in the Citadel fare? I am right to assume you are well and happy?" Rhoddin cocked an eyebrow quizzically as he asked his question of Reise.
Reise Silverskye
Adventurer

Reise smiled at his flattery. Happy, she thought. I'll never be entirely happy until I've gotten what I want. And being a secretary isn't it. But it's a step. "Yes, I am both well and happy," she laughed. "As for circles, well, all I did was put some of my skills to good use. I'm a secretary at the Embassy of the Western Kingdom. It's nothing glamorous, but it pays." In more ways than one...

She paused in her stride long enough to kiss him on the cheek. "I missed you," she murmured, all laughter gone for a second. And then she smiled again. "I was just about to go get a drink at that tavern over there. Want to join me?" she asked, already steering him toward the place.

Post by Guest »

The surroundings, targeted by Rhoddin's surreptitious observations, was a quiet one. Immediately around them the well-to-do citizens of the Patrician's Ring, of varying rungs of the social ladder but mostly low nobility and rich businessmen and women, walked by as individuals or with several friends or loved ones. Many were intent on finding their homes which, in this part of the city, were unimposing, modest, but well-made and clean. Many more made quick passage towards salubrious establishments which emitted a mixed cacophony of lowered, mingled conversation, clanking furniture and musicians of variable talent. Nobody seemed to pay them any more attention than any other individual, pair or group, these pedestrians focusing inwards upon their own worlds or company. This was the scene which was presented to Rhoddin to interpret.

As for the tavern Reise was trying to pull them inside, it was a two-storey affair with solid, large stone block foundations which raised it a couple of feet above street level. White plastered walls showed off starkly against the rich, dark wooden beams supporting the whole building, and its slate roof tiling blended in almost seamlessly with the evening sky. The entire front of the first floor was open, allowing easy passage in and out of the building onto its porch which ran the length of the tavern, set up with a good number of tables so that patrons could enjoy the cooler air, and separated from the street by a low cast iron railing which opened at the staircase. A small balcony was set facing the street above ground floor, furthermore, more railing at the top of the structure indicated that a small terrace also existed up above. Large braziers lit the outdoors areas while a number of smaller lamps illuminated the inside and balcony.
All of that was apprent from outside; should they enter Reise and Rhoddin would see a spacious indoor area separated into a bar lining the left wall, the low floor in the middle scattered with rushes and tables, a separated line of private booths tucked against the right wall and a small raised wooden platform at the back with more tables, bordered by delicate wooden railing and with stairs at the back right corner leading to the second floor. The back left corner sported a discreet couple of doors which, according to the words carved into them ('gentelmen' on one and 'ladys' on the other) even a less than reasonably intelligent patron would assume led to the privies. It was upon a small extension of this towards the middle of the room that three musicians performed, two women and a grizzled old man all in simple clothes. The younger woman, little more than a girl, interjected some graceful notes on a flute here and there, the man plucked the strings on a cithern with obvious skill, while the third woman supplied the voice of the trio. They weren't new to the business since their music, though very well performed, was not loud enough to override conversations and quite ambient so as not to distract.
Though there were a large number of patrons, the tavern made good use of its space and there were tables aplenty, even a private booth or two, free for Reise and Rhoddin. Waitresses frequented these tables, taking orders or delivering them with a great deal of speed and bustle.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

OOC: Sorry for not replying earlier.

I've actullay been quite ill, see banter for what it was.
Should be back with the thread in today or maybe tomorrow.
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

As they conversed in their low tones, Rhoddin cast a practiced eye across the passing patronage. It seemed that no one was paying them undue attention, and the young bard allowed himself to relax, just a bit.

At reises words, or more precisely; her tone, the young man could produced a muted, but sincere smile.

He nodded his head once, "Aye, I've missed you as well." He decided now was not the time to let on he been paying more than his fair share of attention to Reises whereabouts, maybe a bit later on.

He smiled again, "A drink sounds a grand idea. Maybe we could catch up on some gossip as well?" Maybe something else as well...

Rhoddin placed a companionable, but none the less protective arm, around Reises waist, as they wandered into the inn in question. As they entered Rhoddin noticed a quiet booth to the side of the main hall, and gently guided them towards it comfortable setting.

"Does this suit my Lady?" A raised eyebrow and that well know twinkle in his eye lit up his face.
Reise Silverskye
Adventurer

Reise's smile grew as he accepted her invitation. Not that she thought he wouldn't have. "We can catch up on whatever you'd like," she murmured, allowing a bit more suggestiveness to enter her voice. "I've got the rest of the night free, so we can do whatever we feel like." As his arm slid around her waist, she readily accepted it, letting her body rest slightly against his as they walked.

As they arrived at the table, Reise grinned back at the Bard. "Yes, that will do just fine," she replied. She made sure to sit down next to him, staying close.

Once they were seated, she looked around for a barmaid or a waiter of some sort. As happy as she was to see Rhoddin, she also realized she was quite thirsty at the moment. A good ale, or even a strong beer would go down nicely at this point.

"So tell me," she said softly as she leaned up to kiss him gently on the cheek, "what have you been up to while we were apart? Meet any pretty ladies, maybe melt their hearts with one of your songs?"
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

OOC: glad you're recovered from that, Rhoddin - also, impressive work with the trail!

The booths came about two metres out from the wall and were one and a half metres wide. the seats and table were both varnished mahogany and ran continuously from the plastered walls in which a softly burning lamp was set. The seats were decently padded and covered in crimson velvet, with their backs rising a foot over the average patron's head.

As Reise and Rhoddin chose their table a piercing wolf whistle cut through the din from the general bar area, though there was no evidence to show where it was directed. Reise caught the attention of a harried waitress who gave the pair a quick wave to show that she would be there in a moment, leaving them with each other and a muted but avid argument in the next booth along as company. Nonetheless it was easy enough to be heard in moderate tones yet.
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

the young bard looked up at the wolf whistle, but was unable to identify where it had come from, or whom it was aimed at, Good to see there are uncouth louts in the Patricians Ring as well.

At Reises query Rhoddin managed a grin, "Me? Break hearts? Surely you have the wrong bard my lady, I merely sing the songs of days gone past, and recite poems and stories of the day.

"I'm hardly the heart breaking kind of guy you know." As he spoke, that all too familiar twinkle played in his green eyes.

"Truth be told, it has been a rather quiet time for myself in the Citadel. It all started quite boisterously, but it has proved quite relaxing of late.

"That being said, I know my way around the Citadel much better these days, and in particular the temples for some reason. It would seem that my good friend Motley, you do remember him do you not? Well anyway, Motley and I have been spending some time improving our knowledge of certain birds and in particular their feathers. It seems some feathers are quite dangerous, in the wrong hands." Here the young bard paused.

"And what of yourself my fair lady? Have you been a busy girl whilst here in the Citadel?" Rhoddin didn't think it prudent to point out he knew a bit of what Reise was up to, it did tend to add weight to his thoughts that he was stalking a bit.
Reise Silverskye
Adventurer

As soon as she heard the voices raised in the next booth over, Reise divided her attention between them and Rhoddin. She had long since learned that eavesdropping was often beneficial, so long as she didn't put herself at risk doing it. Who knew what valuable pieces of information she might learn?

She smiled at Rhoddin, secretly relieved to hear him say he hadn't been involved with any women. She knew she was being hypocritical, of course. She would fuck any man or woman she had to if she thought it would get her somewhere. Of course, she had no intention of letting Rhoddin know that.

"I got a job," she told the bard. "I'm a secretary at the Embassy of the Western Kingdom. Mostly a paper pusher, but it pays, and it's steady work." And it's a stepping stone to something bigger...
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

At the moment there were two muffled voices coming through from the other booth. It was difficult to tell what was being said, for the walls worked well to dull out sound and in any case, they would often overlap into a indecipherable warble. Nonetheless the booths were designed for quiet conversation, and were not entirely adequate at containing all sound. Most discernable was the gruff voice of a man.

"- muscle yer way in an'... yeah, then what? Y... draggin' me down with ya, an' I don't... become one of... -ane's target! Stick with the small mo-..."

"- Hello, there, sorry about the wait. Now, what can I get for ye?"

The waitress who had waved to them before was now at their table. She, as the other staff did, wore a simple kirtle and, like the other staff, was probably hired for her youth and charming features. Her hair, while in good condition, had started to fray and creep in upon the sides of her face. She spoke with a strong voice that was softened to a highly affable tone by her Midland Dortonese accent - something which matched her auburn hair and pale skin.
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

The young bard smiled to himself, he really couldn't see Reise as simply a secretary, even if it was at the embassy, obviously his former lover was up to something, finding out might prove fun.

Still... "So, a secretary then. You must see some interesting things in such a roll. Do you get much gossip?"

Even as he spoke, the waitress approached their booth, "Ah ha, I think an ale would be in line for myself," and Rhoddin looked across to Reise, "and what would my lady like?" Rhoddin refrained from dropping a teasing comment such as my lady secretary preferring to leave his teasing until later.

As they spoke, the young bard kept half an ear out to the conversations going on around them. It seemed those in the next booth where in some disagreement, Shame I didn't catch that name just then. If nothing else, the young man had learnt the value of information and knowledge over the last few months.
Reise Silverskye
Adventurer

Rhoddin wrote:"So, a secretary then. You must see some interesting things in such a roll. Do you get much gossip?"

"Well, I certainly see some interesting people," she said with a soft laugh. Even as she spoke to him, she continued to eavesdrop on the next booth, doing her best to hear whatever she could, without looking or sounding distracted from Rhoddin. "And yes, there is plenty of gossip. Most of the secretaries are young women, of course, and you know how much they talk. It's very hard to determine what's real and what's just their fantasy or their exaggerated story. Especially when they start talking about men," she added with a chuckle.

Rhoddin wrote:Even as he spoke, the waitress approached their booth, "Ah ha, I think an ale would be in line for myself," and Rhoddin looked across to Reise, "and what would my lady like?"

Reise considered for a moment. "I think I'll take an ale as well," she said with an agreeing smile. "I've come to enjoy a good drink as often as I can," she told Rhoddin as soon as the waitress left to get their drinks. "It's often the only real excitement I get anymore."
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

"Well, twa good ales then. Be back in twa shakes of a lamb's tail, if ye want ta order a meal I can leave these wi ye," the waitress said, and displayed a couple of basic looking menus. "And I'll take yer order when I'm back. Gi' ye some time ta choose."

It seemed, what with this establishment located in the Patrician's ring, literacy was taken for granted here. The waitress waited to see if Reise and Rhoddin were in need of anything else; if not, she would rush back to her job.

The voices in the booth over had died down considerably. As they were coming from the one to the back of Reise, Rhoddin was unable to hear the final, at least for now, few growls. The Roquean secretary on the other hand, heard:

"... tellin' ya. If we - if we don' drop a glove, we'll go legit with a shoulder tap. Boring stuff..."

Outside, chatter flickered off and back on again, mildly subdued, in a wave spreading out from the entrance.
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

At Reises comments about the other secretaries Rhoddin raised a smile. Like most young men he expected that young woman indulged in gossip and fantasy as nearly a way of life.

As the waitress enquired about the food, the young bard shook his head. "Not for myself," raising a quizzical eyebrow he enquired of Reise, "and my Lady, does she fancy anything else?" A twinkle crossed those green eyes, maybe even a look of mischief, although nothing of the sort entered the tone of his voice. The twinkle was meant for Reise alone.

Rhoddin had lost track of the voices, and certainly didn't strain to here them further at this stage.
Last edited by Rhoddin on Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reise Silverskye
Adventurer

If Reise had been alone, she would have spent more time actively listening in to the conversation that she was catching snatches of, but she wasn't alone, and her companion was far more interesting right now. She continued to keep her ears open, but it was only idle interest, while most of her attention went to Rhoddin.

"Nothing else for me, thank you," she said to the serving girl. She looked back to the bard just in time to catch the mischief in his eyes, and she grinned, blushing a little as she remembered the last "mischief" they'd gotten up to together. She like the way he called her "my lady." It made her feel special. She offered him a sensual smile and a sultry wink, as soon as they were alone in their booth again.

"So, do you have any plans for this eve?" she asked.
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

Rhoddin returned the smile, "Well maybe plans would be too strong a word for my thoughts at this stage. But I have a few vague thoughts that might interest my lady, if she might care to indulge me?"

Rhoddin had not planned to seduce Reise so quickly, but it seemed that matters were moving of their own accord, and the young bard was nothing if not flexible in such matters.

Still, he made contact with his former companion to elicit some further information, and seduction or not he planned to find out something of the goings on in the embassy.

"So tell me, my very seductive secretary, how does the Western Kingdom fair? It has been some time since I left those shores, and although I have wandered far, a part of me still dwells there. What news since the overthrow of Balthasar and his court?"
Last edited by Rhoddin on Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

OOC: post at your own rate and don't mind me. I'll be working things around your conversation.

Against all likelihood, the waitress returned quite soon and set down two mugs before Reise and Rhoddin, born to the table upon a small platter. They were pint-sized, clear, well-shaped sturdy things made entirely of glass, body and handle. Clean, too. The ale inside was amber-coloured and clear with no visible sediment - high-class beer indeed. It smelled and tasted faintly fruity, and was otherwise rich with a strong flavour though not anything like a stout. A good, solid, simple tasty ale. Something to make for the relatively affluent masses to fill in where production of the really good stuff couldn't meet demand.

"Tha's twa lance," the waitress said. She must have taken a liking to the couple since she had returned so quickly, and with a smile at that.
Reise Silverskye
Adventurer

"Mmm, I would care to indulge you," Reise told him with a wicked grin and a not so discreet wink. "As long as you don't have to get too much sleep, that is," she added with a bit of a laugh.

She looked up as the waitress returned, and smiled her thanks. "Here you are," she said, sliding over two lances and adding a tip that was generous, but not outrageous.

That done, she looked back to the young bard. "Truth be told, I haven't been up on all the news," she said. "I know, I know, that's horrible of a secretary. But I'm not exactly skilled at being one, you know, and it's taken all my effort just to get used to the job. And there's always so many menial tasks that demand my attention: so and so wants this report, and somebody else wants that appointment, and then Gerrard wants me to find something else out for him." She waved a hand dismissively. "And it goes on."

Return to “Patrician & Citadel Ring”