Pax - Holy day not holiday! - Jyg 30th MT [Open]

These estates surrounding the larger cities of the WK include Pax Balthasar, Brie and several other smaller grounds. The barons rule supreme and intent on holding on to their belongings.

Moderators: Vanadius, Morg, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Mara Zucaro
Civus

Pax - Holy day not holiday! - Jyg 30th MT [Open]

Post by Mara Zucaro »

The morning found Mara under a large tent in the refugee camp stirring a large pot of thin porridge which was set on a tripod like affair of gnomish design over a small fire. Though simply having a place to worship was enough to attract many, Mara noted that serving breakfast to those that came swelled her ranks considerably. Besides, the tent doubled as a shelter for many of those same worshipers. Mara was trying to stir softly lest she wake them.

Her mind was on the prayers to be said to mark the summer solstice. For the Father it was a curious day for as god of the sky and sun, the day of the solstice was to be spent in celebration for this was the day that his presence was at its fullest. Yet, as god of the stars, the night was to be spent in quiet contemplation of the heavens at their ebb. It was a time not to seek new wisdom but to mull over the wisdom of the past year and see what could be learned of it. The simple table that was her altar was draped with a white cloth. On it was a bowl of pure water and a pine tree branch full of needles. It would be a short ceremony. Mara did not have the heart for much else.

Thinking back on it, Mara kept feeling that she had nothing to show for this year but ashes in a vacant lot and a flock of sheep that won't heed her call. The loss of her temple to fire and her worshipers to violence weighed heavy on her. Mara sighed and took a deep breath. This maudlin would not do for the celebration of life that was to shortly commence. Mara just had to get through the day, the longest day in more ways than one.
Avatar by Sedone Thongvilay [url]http://www.sedone.com[/url]
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

Mara's contemplation of recent events was soon interrupted by the arrival of a dirty and disheveled looking human whom she had never seen before. The fellow was middle-aged with dark, slightly greying hair. His face was gaunt, eyes a little bloodshot and limbs thin as if he was undernourished. A small dagger hung from one side of a worn belt.

"I hear you do free food here," he said in a low murmur. The accent was distinct: he was a Mouthie.
Mara Zucaro
Civus

Post by Mara Zucaro »

Mara forced a smile onto her face for the newcomer. He was hardly the first lost soul seeking only a free meal. Mara knew that you had to feed the body first to have a chance at feeding the soul. The priestess was glad for the dagger at her own belt though. He was a Mouthie after all.

"Come and eat, paisan." Mara offered. She nodded towards a open patch of ground and ladled out some porridge into a chipped wooden bowl. "You look like you've a rough time of it. Just arrived?" Mara asked as she passed the bowl and a spoon over to him.
Guido Cercatoro

With a curt nod, the man grabbed the bowl and spoon before sitting down heavily and spooning the porridge rapidly into his mouth. When he had finished, he wiped his lips with the back of one dirty hand.

“Grazie, signorina” he said in a laboured voice as if the words had taken some effort to utter. “Don’t like begging but I got no choice, so there it is.”

“I’m newly arrived, for the second time. Came here with the first refugees from the Mouth but then I returned when the war ended. Stupid thing to do. Just escaped with my life but I’ve lost everything. I’m reduced to begging in this dump.”

The man sniffed and centred his eyes on Mara. “And, you signorina? What brings you here? Refugee like myself ? Or do you just like doing good for us poor folk?”
Mara Zucaro
Civus

Post by Mara Zucaro »

"Bit of both." Mara replied reaching over to take back the bowl and spoon. They tended to disappear if she wasn't watching. "I got out before the vendettas really started flowing. Got myself a job and a place to live. When the refugees started pouring in, I started doing what I could to help. People were there for me when I was living rough. I'm just returning the favor."

"My name is Mara Zucaro." She added. "I know the people here fairly well. There's work and opportunities to be found if you know where to look. What did you used to do in the Mouth?" Mara watched the newcomer carefully for signs of evasion in his answer.
Guido Cercatoro

“Name’s Armanno Caracinni,” the Mouthie replied. “I worked as… a scribe. My one talent - I have a good hand. I doubt there’s much demand for that sort of work here. Still, I‘m, not proud, I can turn my hand to most things.”

Again, there was a hint that even his name was given grudgingly. However, whether the fellow’s answers were deliberately evasive, or merely the cautious response of someone who had suffered, was difficult to decipher.

Armanno led his gaze slowly wander around the tent, clearly taking note of the slumbering forms. “Seems you’ve got quite a community here; I heard that you have worshipping here, of the father? Is that right?”
Mara Zucaro
Civus

Post by Mara Zucaro »

"That's right, Signor." Mara nodded. "We break fast together and then thank the Father that we had food to eat this day." She smiled. "Today we acknowledge the solstice and its place in our lives. I know everyone will want to go to the festival or their own celebrations in the evening so I'm offering morning services."

"There might be a place for you to use your good hand, Armanno." Mara paused in case the familiarity of his fight name was unwelcome. "The Merchant Council becomes a more established body with each passing day. They might have need of one to keep their records. I could ask when next I go if you like." She offered. "I try to funnel what work I can to the people here."
Guido Cercatoro

“My family have always been followers of Pecunia,” explained Armanno, “which is why we were targeted for expulsion. Ironically, I am lapsed and have no particular beliefs but the family association is all that is needed these days in the Mouth. I would be interested to stay and view your service, as you have been kind to me, although I make no pretence of sharing your beliefs.”

Armanno appeared somewhat taken aback at Mara’s offer to help him find a job. “Oh…yes…thank you…that would be kind,” he replied somewhat nervously. "If and when you have the time.” As he spoke he interlaced his fingers and Mara could see that he had a rather expensive looking ring adorning the finger of one hand.
Mara Zucaro
Civus

Post by Mara Zucaro »

"It was my intention when I started this church for it to be a haven for all believers that wished to find a quiet place away from the oppression of the Oneists." Mara replied. "So I am pleased that you will stay. Try and find what peace you can before heading back out into the world."

Mara noted the surprise and the ring and that confirmed her suspicions. Very rarely does a scribe make the banners for that kind of jewelry. More to the point why keep the ring and go begging when you could hock it? Even here in Pax, it would fetch a decent price. The family name Caracinni meant nothing to Mara. She would have to ask among the refugees.

"A word of advice though. You might want to pocket that." Mara gestured towards the ring on his hand. "There were enough expelled from the East End that still practice their old trades here." She warned. Mara looked about at the group that should be about to wake. "Time to get things started. Pardon me, Armanno." Mara took her place behind the cauldron and prepared to serve out breakfast to her flock.
Torc Blackfoot
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Torc Blackfoot »

Torc entered the large tent that had become Mara’s church. He was spending too much time in and around tents. However, he couldn’t blame anyone other then himself, for it was his focus on the refugees that kept him coming to the camp. Torc reflected on the charge of hate in the air. The refugees hated the guards and leaders of Pax, in turn the guards and leaders hated the disrespect for their authority and the fact that they were pagans was an easy excuse. So the circle of hate kept feeding itself.

Torc watched as refugees moved for there free breakfast and he nodded his head as people recognized him. In truth, Torc had more respect for the so called Lich of the Gibbets then ever before. When he had briefly lived in the Mouth the dark fairy tale had been about the Lich of the Gibbets. However, when he did research into the tale, he realized that the Lich was once called the Oracle and before that he had been an Archmage. He was the last diviner Archmage to have ever lived and presumed dead, not walking around the Mouth controlling its destiny. Torc now knew that fame even local fame was a double edge sword, for many people he was a full mage who could move mountains if needed. The assumed powers the people gave him, also meant that he couldn’t make mistakes, and since Torc had always assumed responsibility for other people it meant that he over extended himself ever day.

As Torc stood in his dirty brown pants and sweat stained shirt he silent reviewed all knowledge of magick and its uses. He had become a mental exercise for him, trying to find new ways or solve holes in his knowledge. Many burns had been spent reviewing the information constantly asking himself questions and seeking to test his theories. Working with the refugees, most of the tasks he did were direct and needed no stretch of the imagination. Still it was exhausting work and satisfied his feelings of helping others.

Torc gave the woman called Mara a nod, waiting for a free moment of her time. She had recently tried to build a church, but either by accident or design it had caught fire. In a way he admired the spirit to try for such a great endeavor, but now with fall coming Torc felt that the people needed real shelter instead of cloth roofs.
Avatar thanks to http://www.kiriko-moth.com or Kirko.

Official Member of DMD club since 2005!

Help choose Torc's Familiar!
https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?p=221017#221017
Guido Cercatoro

Armanno appeared slightly flustered as Mara commented on his ring. "Oh, it’s a…family heirloom…looks more valuable than it is but thanks for the advice.” With a slightly flushed face he removed the ring and placed it within a hidden pocket.

As Mara had suspected, those within the tent were beginning to stir, the sound of the conversation and the smell of breakfast awakening them from their slumber. One young boy, an achadhiel named Tamlis, was the first to rise and step forwards murmuring morning’s greetings to Mara and darting an inquisitive look towards Armanno. The boy was about to say more when the tent flap opened and Torc entered. Tamlis’ eyes widened as if he recognised the newcomer, a brown-haired achadhiel who nodded towards Mara but remained silent.
Mara Zucaro
Civus

Post by Mara Zucaro »

Mara nodded to Armanno and left him to his own devices as she doled out breakfast to her hungry flock. Torc's entrance did not catch her attention at all but Tamlis doing a double take as he entered did. The nod also captured her curiosity as he was not known to her, by face anyway.

"Tamlis?" Mara asked. "Do you know who that man who just entered is?"
Torc Blackfoot
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Torc Blackfoot »

Torc watched with relatively low interest. His mind turned over the problems that occurred when an influx of people without ready available work arrived in a town. His answer was focused on the creation of the docks. The docks meant warehouses, boats, lumber mills, carters and forges, and though a great deal of the refugees hadn’t worked in the east end manning the docks. The refugees had an understanding of the amount of money and power that came with control of the docks. Torc wanted to share the vision of the future with people, with an alternative way of moving iron and stone into the kingdom meant that Pax could become the new Mouth. Well that wasn’t really true, for without Brie, Pax would become to much a of Pagan town that caused trouble.

Torc vision wasn’t just focused on future generations. If enough people focused on the building of warehouses, then in the winter, then refugees could have a dry and warm place to sleep. Also, lumber would become ready available for houses. Construction jobs, masons, and boat builders would need to be employed within the next few weeks. Then as the construction projects went away the employment could stabilize with the trade coming from Brie. Once, the focus was upon the docks and trading with Brie, then Torc could step back into the shadows and focus on his magick. Initially Torc would have to use his connections with Klebb to provide the materials, perhaps even some of the money for the build. Then again if he made a few magickal devices, he might be able to sale enough to pay the workers and provide them with food.

Yet, if Torc was going to help build a new town for his people with magick, it might be time to find a familiar that would help him harness more will and magick.

Guido Cercatoro

Tamlis bent down close to Mara and whispered excitedly in her ear. “They say that this is the great mage who fought the grey robes at the stone cube, saved the town from the fireball and created the sword in the stone. And it is also said that he is a healer who helped many during the Day of the Dark.” The words were spoken too quietly for Torc to hear but Armanno clearly caught at least part of the meaning for he shot a quick, appraising glance towards the mage.
Mara Zucaro
Civus

Post by Mara Zucaro »

"So that is the famous Torc." Mara smiled slightly. Being so active in the refugee camp and consulting Nyrellon as often as he did, Mara was well aware of Torc and many of his dealings in Pax. Yet, they had somehow avoided meeting face to face until this moment. Their reputations clashed among their respective followers though. From what Mara had heard, Torc was a positive force in the camps and it was for that reason that she turned the ladle over to a trusted member of her flock, and moved to the front to speak with him.

"You are welcome here, Torc Blackfoot." Mara greeted him. Mara could not say if it was vanity or confidence in his intelligence that caused her not to introduce herself. "What brings you to the house of the Father?"
Torc Blackfoot
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Torc Blackfoot »

Torc bowed as Mara spoke to him. "Well Mara, I am here to talk about our respected people. Summer is coming to an end, and as fall approaches I can't help but wonder what will the refugee's do when the cold comes."

"I am sure that you have thought yourself about the upcoming winter. I don't think it will be anything like what people have previously experienced. There are no coal reserves for ovens, no one has set aside wood piles for heat, most of us like the basic food supplies for the present not to mention the winter." Torc looked at Mara to see if he had peeked her interest.

"Of course, if several of the groups became organized and divided the tasks amongst themselves then more of their people might survive the winter. For instance, the docks project seems to be coming together nicely. If for instance we had divided our forces into workers for the lumber mill and a large warehouse construction, while the others hunted for meat and then smoking it. The warehouse could house all of us and we would have a supply of meat for the winter."

"Of course, it would take a great deal of focus from the leaders to keep the people on track, and they would have to appear in agreement to all their people."

Mara Zucaro
Civus

Post by Mara Zucaro »

Mara listened to Torc politely and nodded along as he described the problems to come with the cold of winter and his solutions. His words made sense and his reputation spoke in his favor. Still, Mara had been too long in the Mouth to accept a man showing up out of the blue with the answers to your problem.

"It is clear that you have given this much thought." Mara commented as she crosses her arms over her chest. "But loggers need axes and carts and hunters their bows and arrows. You won't find the money to buy those in the camp and the few craftsman here lack their tools. So who backs you in this endeavor and what do they gain by our labors?" Mara asked.
Torc Blackfoot
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Torc Blackfoot »

Torc pinched the bridge of his nose. After a short time Torc looked back up at Mara and said, “Mara, like I explained, the groups must divide the tasks between themselves. I want to help the Mouthee’s by providing them with a means to be successful and a plan that is easily identifable from where they come from. The merchants that held the warehouse quarter were ruthless but powerful men."

"As for money, I can sell enchanted items or magickal services to people in King’s Court. However, if I have to go to money lender’s or assume the responsibility of warehouse merchant then I will assume a greater share of the profit from people’s labors.”

“Also, out of respect for Nyrellon I wanted to come here and offer you the chance to help mold Pax into a better city for the refugee’s. Along with the money raised due to the storage of goods and ulitization of labor, a church could be built for your people. If you are asking me to plan, find finicial backing, execute, and hand over all the hard work to your people, then I should probably leave now… I am truly looking for a business partner. I am not here just to hand out jobs as laborers and move on. If you choose to enter into business with me then we will have to find answers to those questions.”
Last edited by Torc Blackfoot on Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mara Zucaro
Civus

Post by Mara Zucaro »

Mara blinked. Torc's response was clearly not the one she expected. "Your initial words did not sound like one seeking a partner, merely workers." Mara explained. "My apologies for not divining your intent." Mara said nothing for a flicker or two. "I am interested enough to discuss this further. I found myself unable to solve the insoluble. Perhaps between the two of us, we can find answers." She nodded in satisfaction.

Mara leaned back a little to look at Torc. "The stories of your powers are quite impressive but should they be believed then you would have already summoned forth a city for the refugees from the earth." She chuckled. "What abilities do you bring to this partnership? I know little of the capabilities and limits of sorcery."
Last edited by Mara Zucaro on Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Torc Blackfoot
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Torc Blackfoot »

Torc looked at Mara harshly at first, but willing to forgive. A leader needed to look to their people and plan for them. Their sole job was to provide a vision that everyone understood and moved forward with. For the most part people could live without a leader; it was only time of great crisis that they needed one. He took his time to formulate a response, because he didn’t want to discourage Mara.

“Given enough time I might very well be able to summon a city for the refugees. Of course, would the people appreciate their homes? Would they care that I sacrificed yarhen’s of my life casting such a great weave? Besides, if I organized them and found the resources for them, they could very well build their own homes and feel better about the place they have come to settle.”

“As for sorcery’s capabilities they are vast and there are no limits. However, that does not mean magick should be relied for every task. Most times Mages are taught by Guild’s, which impose restrictions upon their minds. There is also the Mage himself, his imagination and own conscience can hold him back from achieving results.”

“As for my own strengths, I am practiced in divination, runes, healing, and battle magic, but that is not all inclusive. Depending on what the situation and result we wish, I can tell you the foci that I will need and how much time to make the weave. However, I am afraid that my own conscience does prohibit some things. For example, I will not reanimate the dead and I would prefer not to mess with elementals. I would prefer a challenge, but will speak up if it is beyond my abilities.”

“Would you prefer to take the day and think about the task that lies before us, and what you feel you can accomplish and what other tasks that will still need to be done? We have the time, most of my people will be having fun at the festival and I have prepared a few magickal weaves for it.” Torc wished he could have elaborated on his own abilities but then again that conversation would have taken burns.

Mara Zucaro
Civus

Post by Mara Zucaro »

"When we have the time, Torc, I think a long evening debating philosophy until the fire burns to embers is in order." Mara observed. "For now, I think pragmatism may trump the finer points of beliefs."

"I shall take the day to mull over what you have offered. Mara nodded in agreement. "The solstice is not a fitting time for beginning a project in any case. It is said that those starting something momentous on this day will find their prospects dim with the light of the world until it comes to ruin on the darkest day. Much better to wait until tomorrow and let this day be what it will be." Mara smiled.

"Have you eaten, Torc?" Mara asked. "You are welcome to share our meal before you go," She offered. "and to observe the ceremony should you be curious." Mara spoke lightly. She did not wish for Torc to feel pressured to stay merely that he was welcome if he chose to.
Torc Blackfoot
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Torc Blackfoot »

As Mara talked of a philosophical debate Torc nodded showing that he wouldn’t mind such a conversation. “Mara, you are wise to take such time and consider the task that lay’s ahead. Know this, if you decide not to join my endeavor there will be no hard feelings and that if you should need smoke meats or any grain that I can spare, I will offer you the same price for such goods as they stand right now.”

“As for food, no thank you, my own followers went ahead and cooked up some venison with the porridge this morning, and I must scout out a good spot for the two warehouses that will be needed for at least the few people that follow me. However, I see the young lad over there eyeing me like cat with boots.”

Torc dug into his pouch of magick foci and came out with a charm. The charm was one of his flying bird illusions that would fly around tents and over the heads of people. On the outside it looked like a stick covered in white runes and a red string wrapped around it. “If you think he could use a distraction after the service, please give him this on my behalf. In order to activate the charm, all he must do is break the stick, but make sure he does so outside of the tent. Have a pleasant festival Mara, and I will see you tomorrow morn.” Torc gave her a small salute and waited her pleasantries before leaving. Of course if Mara wished one more thing to discuss, Torc would not leave just yet.

Mara Zucaro
Civus

Post by Mara Zucaro »

Mara accepted the charm gingerly then tucked it into a pocket. "Thank you Torc. I am sure he will love it." Mara hesitated a moment then leaned in and spoke quietly. "Torc, what think you of the strange energies and forces about the town? I'll admit that its been concerning me more than the oncoming winter. I should wish to talk of that as well."
Guido Cercatoro

Mara’s followers were now all awake, taking breakfast, washing and talking quietly. Many, like Tamlis, recognised the mage for he was now famous throughout the town. However, the young lad could not take his eyes off the mage, regarding him as if he was akin to some prophet or deity. Armanno was sitting quietly, his face betraying an expression of deep concentration. He was close enough to overhear most of the conversation between Mara and Torc ,should the Mouthie be inclined to wish to listen.
Torc Blackfoot
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Torc Blackfoot »

Torc gave a short look at Armanno. He might not have liked being spyed upon but if Mara had no qualms about who she shared her information with Torc would not speak against it. So with a quiet voice and careful eye Torc spoke to Mara.

“Mara, I have a small amount of knowledge about those energies, though that small amount is a great deal more than many others. So let pass on the general information I have gathered. Selderine was a city built where Pax now stands. A mage of greater experience and knowledge linked several foci together to create a great shield. He also tied that energy to the land that the city was built on. A great disaster or violence occurred and the shield broke. When the shield broke many people were captured in that violence and their energies were trapped within the massive weave. This trapped existence of intelligence gave rise to an entity. I don’t know if the weave captured souls or not, merely that intelligence had to come from somewhere, in which the entity could have been born from.”

“However, with the destruction of the town the weave did not have a purpose, and like most intelligent people the question of purpose and duty can eat away at their sanity. Imagine if you had no one to communicate with for thousands of yahrens. Then one day a King decides to make a haven for pagan religions within his kingdom. That home rested on the bones of an entity that believe it failed in its purpose for creation. So it arose once again seeing another chance at a purpose and life. It used power built up from thousand of yahrens of rest to bring back a wall from the original city. It molded houses and streets to provide shelter for its people. It brought back people’s bodies from the past, to live again. In its mind it gave gifts to its new people, trying to win their love and acceptance. It also saw the oppression of the guards as an enemy and sent a manifestation of its mind out to kill those that would oppress its people.”

“Mara, am I worried about the entity? I am worried that it is like a man that grasps for a second chance. This city is the entity’s second chance. It will do whatever it can to protect those that are viewed as its people, and it will do what it can against those that are viewed as it’s peoples enemy. Quite a few people believe that those with power should kill the entity, for a man dying of thirst will care not what he leaves in his wake as reaches for a cup of water.”

“My view is a little simpler, this powerful being wants to protect all our people, and much like worms that eat and decompose our refuse, we can live in harmony with this being. If we establish an understanding and set limits on the beings power we can live in harmony and without fear. Either way, you will have to decide your own answer, but for now the entity is sleeping in a manner. It is waiting for its next chance to show the city’s inhabitants that it can help them. So my suggestion is show the being that we are not incapable of helping ourselves.” Torc gave her a look as to see if that answered her question.

Return to “The Baron Estates”