Pax: Forest Gates; A Good Start [Jygust 30, MT]

Moderators: Vanadius, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Fung Wei Kayko
Civus

Pax: Forest Gates; A Good Start [Jygust 30, MT]

Post by Fung Wei Kayko »

The main gate to Pax is known as the Forest Gate. It is usually manned by two bored looking guards of the Pax Honestus, the legion formed to keep order in the new outpost. Apart from the usual farm traffic that comes to and fro on a regular basis, most new arrivals come through the portal and the gate guards have little to do save stare into the nearby forest. Paths from the gate lead down into the forest and the River Clearwater.

The most notable thing apparent to new arrivals is not the gate or guards but rather the long, high, elegant walls of the town. The Wall (Pax) has an air of balance and grace to it, despite the fact that it also looked sturdy enough to withstand whole armies - and its design was somehow foreign to the eyes - unlike everything else in Pax, which was simple and functional and the very opposite of beautiful, the wall was built to some completely different standard. As if it had been plucked from elsewhere, from another city, and simply plonked here without thought. Or as if it had always been here, in spirit.

The dapper looking Sergeant Caverton often tends the gate. He is assisted by Private Jarren Youngblood

If the guards were doing the usual guard past time of staring into the forest, they might notice the signs of another coming.

Kayko had been up since early morningtide. She started the day like any other. Waking up, raking her fingers through her hair,making a quick breakfast, feeding Ting, start packing up and start moving down the path, where she was told Pax Balthasar was. She had heard rumors of a great summerfestival in Paxand came to see how her trading would do. So, hopefully she was in the right place

Half way there, she started humming, almost to the beat of ting's hoofbeats, and her own footsteps. That's right. Kayko was walking besides the donkey and his load. She almost never rode on the little cart. Why give the little guy that much more to haul? Whenever he stopped, or paused, she'd stop and watch him. Waiting to see if there was reason for him to stop. If there wasn't, she'd simply give him a pat on his haunches to start him on his move again.

When she came out of the forest and saw the wall , she smiled. The person that gave her the directions did mention a beautiful wall..and this one did hold a certain beauty. After her pause, she continued..she humming quieted more as she came closer.

She stopped and looked at the guards. They shouldn't give her much trouble right? she was a trader with goods, and today was the day of the summer festival. Than again..after that war...who knows?

"Excuse me..Is this where the summer festival is being held?"

She pushed away some wet stray hairback behind her ears, with the rest of the wet hair. Along with her usual schedual, she had washed her hair in the river earlier and had not tied it back with her ribbon yet, opting instead to let it hang down, free so it could get dried evenly by the morning sun.
Last edited by Fung Wei Kayko on Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prophecy:
At night
The darkness calls
A demon from an angel's depths
She shall answer and thus become a bare blade
Blood will be shed
Tears will fall
And her sheathe will be there
To witness it all
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

With the imminent approach of the festival, the road into Pax was much busier than usual, with many traders entering the town in the hope of selling their wares during the festivities. Some half a dozen guards were attending the gates, waving through those they recognised and only stopping unfamiliar faces. When Fung approached the gate, she drew up besides a young guard wearing an ill-fitting uniform that appeared to have been put on in great haste.

“Stop,” said the soldier in rather loud voice that drew a reproving glance from a nearby, immaculately dressed sergeant.

"Excuse me..Is this where the summer festival is being held?"

“The great festival is being held here,” said the young boy, puffing put his scrawny chest with great pride. “Traders are welcome but I need to take down your details and inspect your wagon. Could I have your name, nature of your trade and….oh yes….religion, please. Musn’t forget that.”
Mezz Ahlridor
Civus

Post by Mezz Ahlridor »

A small, slightly muddy figure emerged from the forest opposite the Forest Gate. Mezz Ahlridor approached the Forest Gate, the wall encircling Pax, already high for a Human, loomed over the Gnome. He grinned inanely, though he was not quite sure why. Realizing he most probably looked silly, or insane, he wiped the grin of his face. His stomach growled, he hadn't eaten since Tradetide yesterday.

The Gnome approached the gate, he had heard from another traveler on his way from Brie that the guards had to register new peoples, or something similar, so he slowed down as he drew near the gate and accosted a soldier,

"Excuse me, I heard you have to register or something before entering?"
Last edited by Mezz Ahlridor on Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
Fung Wei Kayko
Civus

Post by Fung Wei Kayko »

kayko looked over the guard. She noted how young he looked, the over sized outfit..and how he spoke. Still, she was just glad that she had made it to the right place.

“Traders are welcome but I need to take down your details and inspect your wagon. Could I have your name, nature of your trade and….oh yes….religion, please. Musn’t forget that.”

Oh yes. He was definately a beginner. With a gentle smile, she nodded. "Of course. My Name is Fung Wei Kayko, I trade for just about anything.." she paused, "and I have no religion"

When he would decide to inspect her wagon, she stepped aside, giving him room. He wouldn't find much except food and drink aboard it this time. Quietly, she slipped a look at the older guard, and gave him a smile, encouragement to endure the young man. Who knows, if he got enough experience he could actually become a good guard.

Then she let her gaze wander over to the flow of traders, here for the same reason she was. Some of them looked much better than her little cart and donkey. She looked back over to said cart and donkey, and mnetally, she looked over the list of things she had to trade today.

- 4 smoked fish
- 3 bundles of braided garlic
- 2 5 lb. bags of barley
- A single 1 lb bag of oats
- 2 bottles, buttered rum
- 2 bottles, spiced rum
- 1 bottle, liquor
- 2 bottles, red wine
- A crate of bananas
- A bag of candy
- And a pound of tea leaves

(Not to mention her essentials that she would never trade away..)

For a moment, she wandered what she might get for some of these things..if she got anything. Even if she didn't, she was in it for the travel rather than the money anyways, and she could always move onto the next town after the festival was over.

She was brought out of her thoughts as someone started to speak near her. When she looked at the one who spoke it was gnome. With nothing else to keep her interest at the time, she watched the man, though it wasn't so obvious that it seemed that she'd be staring or anything like that.
Prophecy:
At night
The darkness calls
Blood will be shed
Tears will fall
To witness it all
Guido Cercatoro

The young guard inscribed the trader’s name in a large brown ledger that lay on a table adjacent to the entrance. He muttered quietly as he performed this duty “Name…Fung Wei Kayko; business…anything; religion…none.” He paused, frowned but then shrugged and moved to inspect the cart. As he did so, Fung slipped a glance to the older guard, who rolled his eyes to the heavens, clearly aware of the young guard’s shortcomings.

The young guard bent over, sniffed the air and fingered the garlic. “Well that all appears to be satisfactory,” he said in a slightly disappointed voice. “Very smelly though,” he added as if desperately trying to find something to comment on. “Keep this well out of the way of anyone with a delicate disposition. Can’t have them succumbing to excessive smells.”

“Well, you may pass,” said the young guard after completing the inspection. “Do you have any questions before entering the town?”

As Mezz approached the gate, the gnome could see a young soldier inspecting a cart that appeared mainly to be full of foodstuffs. The cart obviously belonged to a young, skinny human female with raven black hair.

The dapper sergeant finished with the new arrival he was dealing with and turned to face Mezz. The sergeant was a lean man of medium height with a well-established jet black moustache. He was immaculately attired, making even his modest uniform appear to an elegant garment.

"Excuse me, I heard you have to register or something before entering?"

Sergeant Norville Caverton directed a curious look at Mezz. No moustache. I thought all gnomes had them. Probably the latest fashion. The sergeant spoke to the new arrival in a quiet, formal voice.

“Good morningtide. Yes, I’m afraid I need a few details before I can let you into the town. Name, business in town and religion. It all goes down in the book.” He nodded towards the large ledger held by the young guard.

Fung glanced over at the new arrival. She saw that it was a male gnome who, rather unusually, sported a goatee and not a moustache.
Mezz Ahlridor
Civus

Post by Mezz Ahlridor »

"Good morningtide. Yes, I’m afraid I need a few details before I can let you into the town. Name, business in town and religion. It all goes down in the book.”

Mezz nodded,
~Right then, 'name', that my name obviously, 'business in town', err, occupation? No, no, no, it's my reason for entering obviously. 'Religion'? Well, that's obviously what deity I worship.~

"My...name is Mezz Ahlridor. I'm entering for...for...sightseeing? And as for religion, which, if I could...plus...I mean 'add' seems a bit of a silly thing to ask about, I mean you Oneists can be rather...paraboid? No it's paranoid isn't it." Mezz stopped suddenly, realizing his mouth would probably end up getting him in trouble if he wasn't careful.

"Anyway, my religion is Father of the...erm...Heathens." he noticed a young human looking at him and inclined his head at her.
Last edited by Mezz Ahlridor on Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fung Wei Kayko
Civus

Post by Fung Wei Kayko »

As the older gaurd rolled his eyes, kayko's smile widened. She had kept from laughing, though her eyes could easily have shown amusement. Her attention was returned to the young guard as he commented on the smells of her trade. He was sure looking awefully hard to comment on something...kayko wondered if this was part of the procedure for pax..

But she nodded curtly, "I will make note to do so.."

“Do you have any questions before entering the town?”

"Actually, yes, I do...is there any specific place that I should set up for the festival?"

Oh, and she was noticed. The gnome looked over at her and had inclined his head. In return she gave him a small nod of greeting. It was just..a little odd to see a gnome without a mustache...not that it looked bad or anything.

His answer to the guard shown to kayko that he was probably nervous...though as one who DID have a religion, and one not of "the one", and after that terrible war....who could blame him?

still...there should be no need to worry here. Pax IS after all the place where those of other religions are allowed.. thought Kayko.
Last edited by Fung Wei Kayko on Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prophecy:
At night
The darkness calls
Blood will be shed
Tears will fall
To witness it all
Guido Cercatoro

Sightseeing? Paraboid? Father of the heathens? The One save me from gnomes. Always trouble.

The dapper sergeant pursed his lip and a look of resignation spread across his face. “So you want to see some sights do you? Now, tell me, how exactly do you make coins by looking at things? Or, are you so flush with banners that you have simply come here to attend the festival?”

The sergeant took a step forward and bent down to whisper in Mezz's ear. “Now, my friend, a little piece of advice. We may be tolerant of religions here but we are still in the kingdom and we guards are Oneists. So, don’t go telling anyone they’re paranoid, they may not all be as forgiving as me. Do you understand?”

Kayko acknowledged the gnome’s nod of the head with a smile of her own.

"Actually, yes, I do...is there any specific place that I should set up for the festival?"

The young soldier relaxed, as if this was a question he felt able to answer. “The stalls are set up in the Main Square or Festival Field. You should go the Provost’s Office as soon as you can to get your pitch. If you don’t want to sleep in your cart, there may be some rooms left at one of the taverns, or some of the shopkeepers rent out rooms. If you plan to stay here longer, it’s worth asking the provost if he has any land or house available. It used to be easy but with the refugees, there is little left. Still, you might get lucky.”

“If there is nothing more you may enter the town.” The guard stood aside to let Kayko pass.
Mezz Ahlridor
Civus

Post by Mezz Ahlridor »

“Now, my friend, a little piece of advice. We may be tolerant of religions here but we are still in the kingdom and we guards are Oneists. So, don’t go telling anyone they’re paranoid, they may not all be as forgiving as me. Do you understand?”

Mezz looked the sergeant in the eye,

"I understand alright." said the Gnome coolly,

"Now please remove your mouth from the vicinity of my ear." Mezz immediately cursed himself for saying that. He hoped the sergeant was as understanding as he pretended to be. Arranging his face into what he hoped was a pardoning expression, he added,

"Erm...so can I go now?"
Last edited by Mezz Ahlridor on Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fung Wei Kayko
Civus

Post by Fung Wei Kayko »

Kayko smiled and nodded when the young guard gave her the answer.

"The stalls are set up in the Main Square or Festival Field. You should go the Provost’s Office as soon as you can to get your pitch. If you don’t want to sleep in your cart, there may be some rooms left at one of the taverns, or some of the shopkeepers rent out rooms. If you plan to stay here longer, it’s worth asking the provost if he has any land or house available. It used to be easy but with the refugees, there is little left. Still, you might get lucky.”

then he had stepped to the side..Kayko was going to ask another question but decided she was holding him up already, there were plenty of others already after all. "um..thank you" she said before giving Ting a tap on the rump to get him moving, though kayko herself lingered for a flicker or two more. It was during this that she heard the gnome speak and could have flinched. He didn't seem to know how to speak to guards.. Still she managed to look back at him and the sergeant, with a sort of cool look. watch where you step, my friend...

For a moment, the thought of helping him out of a pinch fletted through her mind..but looking at the situation, she could hardly do a thing.

"um.. you might have forgotten to answer his question.." she quietly mentioned. It was the only thing she could do, and hopefully she wasn't sticking her nose in an awkward situation to only make it worst.
Last edited by Fung Wei Kayko on Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prophecy:
At night
The darkness calls
Blood will be shed
Tears will fall
To witness it all
Guido Cercatoro

"Now please remove your mouth from the vicinity of my ear." Mezz immediately cursed himself for saying that. He hoped the sergeant was as understanding as he pretended to be. Arranging his face into what he hoped was a pardoning expression, he added,

"Erm...so can I go now?"

The sergeant did indeed remove his mouth from Mezz’s ear. However, the mouth was replaced by a firm hand which gripped and tweaked the ear, giving Mezz a rather sharp and unpleasant pain. Kayko’s words were too late to have any effect on proceedings

“Oh, yes you can go now,” said the sergeant in a slow and menacing manner. “In fact I’d advise you to go before I relieve you of this troublesome ear. If I wasn’t so busy today, I might be tempted to teach you a lesson.”

The sergeant pushed Mezz in the direction of the gate giving him a forceful kick up the backside. The dwarf was propelled in the direction of the cart and landed in a heap at Kayko’s feet.

Shaking his head, the dapper soldier moved on to the next arrival.

(OOC: you are both past the guards and are free to enter and post elsewhere, although you may talk to each other here if you wish :wink: )
Mezz Ahlridor
Civus

Post by Mezz Ahlridor »

Mezz winced as he felt the sergeants large hand twist his ear,

“Oh, yes you can go now,” said the sergeant in a slow and menacing manner. “In fact I’d advise you to go before I relieve you of this troublesome ear. If I wasn’t so busy today, I might be tempted to teach you a lesson.”

before the poor Gnome could nod his understanding, the Human pushed him towards the gate...with a strong kick to the backside.

Mezz flew towards a nearby cart, landing in an ungainly pile at the feet of a tall lady dressed in a dark blue dress. Grumbling about oppression, brutality and sizeism. Mezz stood up, brushing dirt off his wolf skin cloak and checking that he hadn't lost anything.

"Charming welcoming custom..." he muttered under his breath. However he had no one but himself to blame for this, he had almost purposefully annoyed the sergeant.

Satisfied that he had not lost or torn anything from his unwilling flight, he began to start towards the gate, his eyes downcast...only to walk straight into someone.

Suprised, he stumbled back, he had just walked into Kayko, so caught up by his sudden want to get away from the guards that he hadn't noticed her.

"Oh! Excuse me! I wasn't looking where I was going."
Fung Wei Kayko
Civus

Post by Fung Wei Kayko »

Kayko watched as her words had no effect at all. The little man must deal with the brunt of his concequences. As he flew his short flight towards her, she was going to catch him, but didn't even have the prper time to crouch down.. and she was going to help him up, but he did that himself, as he proved himself quite capable. In fact, she seemed to be not noticed at all in those moments, and it was..an odd feeling to say the least.

Then, he walked right into her.

"Oh! Excuse me! I wasn't looking where I was going."

A light chuckled escaped her. She pushed back a lock of wet hair which had freed itself from it's position behind her ear. "It's quite alright. You seem to be having quite the day, so I will not give you any more trouble"

She glanced back to see about her cart, luckily it seems, Ting did not get too far in with out stopping to look back at her. A thought seemed to bounce in her head, ready to be concidered. "would you like to help me set up? ...I could brew us a good cup of tea..."
Prophecy:
At night
The darkness calls
Blood will be shed
Tears will fall
To witness it all
Mezz Ahlridor
Civus

Post by Mezz Ahlridor »

Mezz gave the woman a grin,

"Thanks, that would be great." He cast one last look at the sergeant, consigning his face to memory. He had already firmly decided to one day get the man back for that impromptu flight somehow, despite the fact that it had been his own foolishness that had landed, or rather flown, him into trouble.

~One day my dear man, you'll regret picking on the 'heathens'. Especially if that's how you treat anyone who speaks their mind.~ Turning back to Kayko, the Gnome held out his small hand to the lady, looking comically like some child trying to reach his mother, if it wasn't for the goatee,

"I'm Mezz, Mezz Ahlridor, from Dort."
Fung Wei Kayko
Civus

Post by Fung Wei Kayko »

I will go ahead and make a new thread already XD)

Kayko smiled as the gnome accepted her invitation. This was good, she could use some company other than ting for a change, and he liked tea.
It was after the acceptance, however, that she noticed he was looking back at the guard whom had been the one with which he had such an interesting conversation with, ending in a short flight. She could only guess his thoughts, and while she was likely to enjoy her new friend, she saw him as just a bit of a fool.

Then it was that the gnome had turned back to her and held out his hand. Kayko had learned during her travels that this was a handshake, and a custom before introductory. She had to learn in on her travels, her home country never used it, and her aunt certaintly would not teach her such things, or never thought of it.

So, she held out her own hand and grasped his. Surprisingly, her hands would have small calases on them, the consequnce of practicing with the sword that was strapped to her waist with a seafoam green sash which went well with her dark blue dress. As he gave her his first name, full name, and home land..so would she, though it always felt a little odd that she should give her name and then her family name..as it was always different than that of the westerners.

"Nice to meet you Mezz. I am Kayko. Fung Wei Kayko...from the Eastern Empire"

She gave a light squeeze to finalize their introductions and then let go.
Any question she would answer, as they were expected.

"Shall we get started?"

She would ask at the end of it all, and then enter the town, ending up next to Ting.
Prophecy:
At night
The darkness calls
Blood will be shed
Tears will fall
To witness it all
Guido Cercatoro