[Sierra] Of Maps and Advice (Explorers Guild) - Jyg 30th MT

Dort, Aveas and Sierra form the most important triangle of the Seven Isles. Magick and trade are their core business.

Moderators: Adanedhel, Brytan, Mods

Baylan Anvilhammer
Civus

[Sierra] Of Maps and Advice (Explorers Guild) - Jyg 30th MT

Post by Baylan Anvilhammer »

Having heard the harbormaster mention an explorer's guild, Baylan was quick to get down to business. Réalt was by no means a large town- the dwarf was fairly sure that he could actually see most of it from the docks, even. As such, he was not in the least bit reluctant to walk off down the dirt path and into the "town proper," away from the curious bunch at the docks. The dwarf attempted to take in everything that he could while exploring the port-town. He searched out the faces of passersby, he took note of interesting landmarks, he even listened intently to the alien bird calls that could be heard above the sounds of human life. Baylan was a planner. To planners, every piece of information is golden.

After walking the streets for a few burns, Baylan spotted what must have been the Explorer's Guild.

Teh Wiki wrote:The Sierran Explorers Guild

Only the sign hanging out over the door distinguished this building from the row of shoddily built workman’s shacks. The sign showed a rough outline of Sierra’s coastline with Sierra’s crest in the center. Within, the single room was an odd mixture of library, workshop and den. To the left was a large desk with a slanted top. On it was a large parchment map of Sierra. Only the coastlines and the town were drafted with any details. The vast center of the map remained blank with a few scattered symbols near the town to denote discoveries. To the right was a workbench covered with tools and a preserved animal skin of some type drying over a rack. The back of the room contained a circle of chairs around a round table made from a thick slice of a giant tree trunk. The walls were decorated with the trophies from Sierran hunts, heads and skins of animals unknown on the other isles.

When the guild was open, a young man in a brown robe sat at the desk scribbling away at a parchment scroll.

It's a little early yet... I hope somebody is up and about, Bay mused.

The young adventurer was not entirely sure why exactly he was there. It just seemed to him to be the right place to go at the time. Waltzing about "looking for glory" has never gotten anybody anywhere. But then again, Baylan felt that he had the not-so-gentle guidance of the Red Warrior on his side. Perhaps adventure would simply jump out and strike him between the eyes.

He approached the door and rapped loudly upon it while wondering if his decision to leave his crate of nails near the ship was an intelligent choice. The lot was his only belonging of real value that he had brought with him. Well... he did have one other bargaining chip. But that was affixed firmly to his sanguine braids and it was not going anywhere anytime soon if he had a word to say about it.
Last edited by Baylan Anvilhammer on Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Just a moment." A distracted voice called out. It was a few burns before Baylan heard the sound of a lock turning and the door swung open. Standing there was a young human in a brown robe that couldn't be more than in his teens. He had a very wispy thin goatee that only served to accentuate his youth. Any dwarf would kill themselves before going out in public with a such a beard.

The man looked right over Baylan at first then glanced down and smiled widely. He cleared his throat and then greeted him in fluent Dwarven. "Welcome, O Brother From Distant Mountains. You are welcome at my hearth, my forge, and my table. Will you drink with me?" The accent was not that of his clan but were his eyes closed Baylan would have sworn a fellow dwarf had addressed him.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Baylan Anvilhammer
Civus

The traditional salutation left Baylan comically peering past the robed man in a futile attempt to search out his kinsman. A moment later, his eyes rose to meet those of the adolescent human before him. Realizing that this lanky figure was the source of the familiar speech, he replied in kind:

"Away from home, yet united by blood. Strike me down should I refuse your ale!" Baylan instinctively blurted out the accepted response before really understanding what he was seeing or who he was addressing. Testing the waters a bit, he continued to speak to the lad in the mountain tongue; "Ah! You know cute phrases. A novelty. But do you truly speak the language of the frosty cliffs? My name is Baylan Anvilhammer, son of a smithy, Grom, in Kaza Rhun. From where do you hail?"

The dwarf looked the man over once more, attempting to sum him up. What is this boy?, he thought to himself. His hands, are they calloused? His movements, are they decisive? What manner of person is he? And why does he use the language of my people in an area so far away from home?

The dwarf threw out a heavy hand, offering it in greeting. This was the second time since he had left Mach Mellin that an out-lander had shaken the young crafter's belief that his culture was largely unknown to the outside world.
Last edited by Baylan Anvilhammer on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

She moved up the road in long loping strides. It hadn't taken long to find this place, a few well placed questions to the locals and a good knack for directions and Scarlet had found the building pretty hard to miss. She slipped through the doors and for the first time, realised that she had never set foot inside a real structure before. Not counting the boat. It was a strange and uncomfortable place, a far cry from the tents and huts she was used to. Even the inns back on Ursa were small open air affairs. Small and shoddy these shacks might have appeared to their patrons, to Scarlet it was a manor.

"We are looking for a Medicine man called Jamail," she whispered to Kytani before drawing to an almost complete halt. Her eyes rested on the diminutive form of Baylan at the door, speaking to a robed man. She wondered with some curiosity if it might not be a mage from the University she had heard oh so much about. She tilted her head in question as she ghosted up behind the pair, unable to discern their conversation. She knew other languages existed, the Adhiel of Aveas had taken some effort to communicate their needs to after all, Scarlet just wasn't used to polite ettiquette and so she peered curiously at the pair - trying to puzzle out the strange syllables.
Last edited by Scarlet on Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Isle_Cat]Isle Cat[/url][size=75][color=darkred]

I'm not here to play who's the better killer.

[i]But it [b]is[/b] my favourite game...[/i][/color][/size]
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Jamail smiled at Baylan's skepticism and continued to speak in fluent, if oddly accented, dwarven. "My name is Jamail, son of a weaver Jasko, on the isle of Dort." Jamail took Baylan's calloused hand in his own. Jamail's hand was not forge hardened but he was no stranger to labor. Ink stains and a particular callous on his finger where a quill would rest marked him as a scholar. "I studied with the refugees of Nazareen to learn the language of your people. I learned it better than I did how to drink with them." Jamail chuckled. "Please come in. I have no ale to offer, I'm afraid, but there is fruit juice and water if you would share it with me."

They had not gotten far inside when Scarlet and Kytani arrived. Jamail could not help but smile at the unabashed curiosity on Scarlet's face as she tried to puzzles out the dawrven language. "Good morning." He greeted them in human. "My name is Jamail. Can I help you with something?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Baylan Anvilhammer
Civus

Baylan's stomach rumbled with a thunderous roar upon being teased with the prospect of a bright ale or a thick, musky mead. It was common in the dwarf's culture, after all, to explore new relationships with the encouraging push of alcohol on hand. Jamail spoke of his studies with the displaced dwarves of the Nazareen and Bay replied with a frown.

"Refugees you say? I know of the clan's migration years ago... but has something tragic befell them recently? News of this had not previously reached my ears, knowledgeable one." He thought for a flicker before adding, "And yes, water would be perfectly acceptable. Much thanks." The barreled water on the ship had been rotten and stale. There is only so much rainwater a person can drink off of rigging and out of buckets before they go mad. I hope this island has a proper well or spring somewhere. I can't rightly explore the depths of the jungle completely knackered on local whiskey... heh. Or maybe I can. The dwarf's inner monologue brought a sparkle to his eyes, betraying his good mood.

Thumping feet and painfully vibrant auras flew into the room in one blazing flash as the two Kanthrop entered.

Turning from the scholar, Baylan smiled widely towards Scarlet. He had come to accept her superfluous antics as part of her personality. Something she could not change any more than the dwarf could take root and begin producing pommefruit. He recognized Kytani as well, and he doffed his hat accordingly.

"Hello again, nimble one," the dwarf rumbled lightheartedly to the cat-warper. "It didn't sound as if your troupe was headed in the same direction as I. I wouldn't have ran off so quickly had I known.

OOC: Edited to reflect previous edit by Scar. Everything should be good to go now.
Last edited by Baylan Anvilhammer on Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

ooc:sorry for being awkward ^^ I shall pay more attention in future
ic:

"Jamail?" Her eyes opened even wider if such a thing was possible. Sometimes life gave you lemons, sometimes it gave you sweet sugary honey. She hoped and prayed that the rest of the expedition went as smoothly as this. She glanced side-long at Kytani and shared a sickly grin.

"Just the man I was looking for." She smiled back at the robed man, following the pair into the building. If she could just corner him, ask her questions and be done then she was going to have plenty of time to kill before they regrouped back here. She looked long and hard at Jamail, he didn't strike her as the shamanistic type but then, different Islands probably did things in different ways... Still, she had been expecting someone closer in spirit to Gannas.

"I hear you are the wise-one of these people? I have a few questions about the medicines on this isle, the plants and creatures are very different from the herbs I am used to preparing." She trailed off as she gazed about the interior of the Explorer's Guild, noting the strange pelts that dried on the Rack.

"If you can spare us the time then I would also hope to greet the spirits of the Isle. To hunt with their blessing would ease our passing."

She noted Baylan's greeting and extended one hand in a similar fashion to the sailors. In the commotion of the harbor she had forgotten his absence, though it bought a smile to her face that he seemed so happy to see her.

"Our paths cross again Baylan Anvilhammer though I suspect here every track leads into the Jungle. What prey do you seek here?"
[url=http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Isle_Cat]Isle Cat[/url][size=75][color=darkred]

Kytani Hajgomb
Civus

Post by Kytani Hajgomb »

True to her panther nature, Kytani had been silent and sullen during the trek to the Guild, her irritation at Xenovia almost overwhelming – at the flicker, she would have preferred Culwago over the chosen Xenovia as he, at least, understood packs, silence, and some subtlety of grace. She was not entirely shocked to see the 'Bear Kanthrop' that Muraco mis-identified – cannot he see that these eyes are lifeless, showing no animal within? – standing in the immense dwelling with Jamail but she said nothing, save for a small nod in their direction as Scarlet opened negotiations.

"Hello again, nimble one, It didn't sound as if your troupe was headed in the same direction as I. I wouldn't have ran off so quickly had I known.”

“It is quite alright...” Kytani muttered, almost under her breath, the frustration dripping from her voice like the dew dripped off of the leaves on a warm summer dawn in Ursa. “For a bit, I doubt our troupe knew which way we were headed at all.” Her arms crossed beneath her breasts as almost a physical effort to keep whatever she wanted to get off of her chest firmly affixed. Unlike Xenovia and Calraen, she knew when to keep their affairs private and out of the eyes and ears of others. When Jamail introduced himself and Scarlet gave her smile, the best that Kytani could perform in her foul mood was the slight upturn of the right corner of her mouth in a half-smirk, the rest of her face emotionless.

As Scarlet went into business with Jamail and conversed with Baylan, the young kit followed her packmate's curiosity about the interiors, wandering a short distance away to closer examine the pelts if she could, her nose widening a bit as she tried to take in their scent past the tanning agents – one never knew when a familiarity with an unknown pelt or scent would aid when met by a creature who bore similar skins and smells, the predator within imagining a pile of osprey feathers laid out among them.
Last edited by Kytani Hajgomb on Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior." - [b]Hippolyte Taine[/b]

Totally [i]EPIC[/i] avatar by Funky!!!
Baylan Anvilhammer
Civus

Kytani wrote:For a bit, I doubt our troupe knew which way we were headed at all.

As the words hit his ears, the smile slowly began to fade from the dwarf's mustached lips. He resumed his more comfortable blank expression before replying;

"I am sorry to hear that, Miss. In-fighting is no way to start of a treacherous adventure though, is it now? I do not know these parts, but I imagine that the jungle is incredibly unforgiving."

As Kytani walked away to inspect the hides, Baylan turned his attention back to Scarlet and spoke, "What is my prey, you asked?" Baylan ran his hand through the braids that made up the bulk of his narrow beard. The hair on his chin matched that on top of his head in most ways save texture. "I suppose the adventure itself is what I am after. I'm just another young'en trying to make his mark on the world, if you will." The dwarf made a slight shrug with his broad muscular shoulders, indicating that he was not entirely happy with the reply. Leaving out details was probably for the best, but he did not like the idea of misleading what seemed to be a nice young girl. Thinking for a moment and removing his hat, he continued;

"In truth, I am a crafter of metals. A weapon smithy specifically. I want... I have this image of myself in my mind. And I think that I can become a Great. Forging weapons for important knights and princes. One day I hope to make the swords and tridents of legends. I feel that I have been set upon this path by a power greater than myself. It is my station in life."

The dwarf bowed his head noticeably. He knew that his dreams would come off as outlandish to strangers. But everybody has to want something. I just happen to have good luck of knowing what that something is!
Kytani Hajgomb
Civus

Post by Kytani Hajgomb »

Baylan Anvilhammer wrote:"I am sorry to hear that, Miss. In-fighting is no way to start of a treacherous adventure though, is it now? I do not know these parts, but I imagine that the jungle is incredibly unforgiving."

Indeed... you never know who...or what...awaits you in the underbrush... Kytani thought with a smirk, happy that her ire at Xenovia had brought her inner animal a bit more to the forefront in just under a mark or two. She surveyed the pelts while listening to Baylan as he continued to speak to Scarlet, her head turning to halfway face him when he mentioned armor.

"Metal turtles..." she purred softly, suddenly interested in Baylan's profession as it did represent one of the deeper mysteries of the world around her - that of steel and why it would even really be needed to be wrapped around the body. "It does sound like an admirable trade and calling, the way you say it, although you would never find myself or Scarlet dressed in any of those metal skins that you forge. In fact..." she stated "unless told otherwise..,", she continued, removing her scarf and shrugging the top of her kanthar down to around her waist, smiling as the open air hit exposed flesh, cooling it slightly as her skin had begun to itch with the heat and change of climate. "...we usually wear much less and I cannot see how your...kings and nobles...could stand the ordeal..." she finished, tying her scarf about her waist. Comfortable at last... she thought, showing the Kanthrop's typical lack of either shame or showmanship in her body.

"So what kind of adventure do you seek?" she continued, happy for the distraction he gave her from mulling on Xenovia. "Hunting? Exploring?" she asked, knowing that either of them could be common ground for an alliance, if that was what Earth Mother intended for them to have with the recrossing of paths between Kanthrop and Dwarf.
"I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior." - [b]Hippolyte Taine[/b]

Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

Scarlet silently shook her head. A weapon smith...

"A blade is only ever as sharp as the hand that holds it."

Her own hand drifted to the obsidian blades nestled in the small of her back. The volcanic glass held an edge better than any razo and was lighter by far than the heavy metals that these people used. She supposed it was a profession as worthy as any other. Someone had to make the tools of the trade after all. Still, she could see no difference between the blade of the prince and the blade the butcher so long as they both cut flesh.

Motion from Kytani drew her eye as she revealed the sun kissed skin of her chest. This island was a hot place, warmer than the planes of Ursa in mid-summer. Scarlet had a sheen of perspiration to her own skin, but didn't disrobe. She liked the heat. Slowly, Scarlet turned and grinned at her friend, echoing her sentiments on the idiocy of Metal Turtles. Better not to get hit at all than drown in the lethargy of carrying such weight. Still, Baylan obviously had his dream and his direction, she hadn't the time or inclination to challenge it.

She returned her attention to Jamail, awaiting his answer with a pleasant smile.

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: There was much for me to respond to. If I missed something, drop me a PM.

While Baylan and the Kanthrops chatted amongst themselves, Jamail busied himself with filling stone tumblers with water kept in a larger stone jug. Those that drank it would find it pure and clean. Baylan in particular would appreciate a nice mineral tang to the water.

The pelt currently drying on the rack was that of a great cat with dark black fur. Unfortunately, the only smells from it were the lingering odors of dung and wood ash used in its preparation. The pelts on the walls were odder. They were scaled like a reptile but the forms resembled those of the great cats. One of the heads was a great tusked brute like a wild boar only larger in size.

Jamail turned just as Kytani disrobed and he almost dropped the water jug in surprise. After a few burns of just staring, Jamail regained the power of speech and turned to face Scarlet. Throughout the conversation his eyes would flick back to Kytani as he tried to look without being obvious.

"Ah, yes, you wanted knowledge of herb lore of the isle." Jamail nodded. "I have samples of the herbs and plants that we have found useful along with many that he have yet to find a use for and several that you should avoid touching at all costs." Jamail shivered in remembrance of a herb induced horror.

"As for contacting the spirits of the isle, I must confess that I have never attempted such a thing." Jamail admitted. "Though now that you pose the idea, I do not see why I could not do such a thing. My powers are of the sphere of knowledge with a specialty of seeing the unseen after all." Jamail nodded more and more as he mulled this idea over. "You know I have been trying to uncover the secrets of the jungle for close to two yarhen now and it never occurred to me to simply ask it what they were." He chuckled. "It seems like cheating almost. Still, if you wish me to try, I shall do so."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Baylan Anvilhammer
Civus

Baylan's heart sank deeply within his chest. He had been eying the water jug with sponge-like anticipation when he watched it nearly slip out of the scholar's hands. Following the man's gaze, the dwarf saw the cause of the confused twitch.

Barrels and jugs of the good stuff! Baylan exclaimed within the sheltered confines of his brain. Kytani's sweat-covered chest was strong and mighty. As if it were outside of his own personal control, his eyes drifted to her defined collarbones and slid down her front, taking in the exposed portion of her athletic physique.

Dwarven women are strong too. This was a different kind of strength. It was not the stocky, bulk muscles he was used to on females. Slender and toned. Not to mention that her skin was delightfully bronzed by the sun's touch. "Listen, lass- should you want to avoid attracting unwelcome attention to yourself, you may wish to think about covering up a bit," he barely squeaked out the sentence, wanting the show to continue for as long as possible.

Baylan drank the hard water greedily, dripping quite a bit of it onto his chin and beard. This did not bother him, it felt good against his neck.

"And. ah... The Nazareen?" He turned towards Jamail hoping to avoid being too obvious in his ogling.
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

After nearly a burn of watching Jamail stare at Kytani's chest, Scarlet began to wonder if she had perhaps phrased her question poorly. She turned herself, wondering if perhaps there was some sort of creature chewing on her neck or some other distraction that she had missed. Failing to find any serious fault she glanced down at her own chest, her fingers running over the knots of her own kanthar. After all, Kytani did seem to be drawing all the attention...

With almost a start, she turned to face Jamail as he spoke, another smile flashing across her face.

"Please do tell me what you can." She grinned. "Particularly in reference to the poisons, I wouldn't want to accidentally harm a fellow hunter whilst we travel. If your lore is incomplete I might even be able to share a few findings when I return."

Her eyes did narrow and her tone darken as he voiced an ignorance of spiritual matters. Such a thing was not undertaken lightly and done improperly could easily offend the spirits in question. Scarlet herself could only guess at the methods and rituals the local spirits would expect and she had heard tell only in whispers of darker spirits called in grievous error.

"No." She breathed, after a flickers thought. "If you have never practised such a thing the risk is too great. The wrong ritual, at the wrong time... You could cause grievous offence and never realise, or call a spirit of mischief and bring harm to your kin. My people leave such rites only to those tutored in its lore." She shook her head and looked quizzically at the human. "It astonishes me that you would tread into the jungle without the proper observances though, is there no one on the isle who talks to the other-side?"

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Jamail was gratefully distracted from his ogling by Baylin's question. "Oh yes the Nazareen." Jamail went over to his workbench and plucked out a scroll which he handed to the dwarf. "I've made a recording of what little I could find out." Baylan would discover that the scroll was written in Dwarvish rune with a human translation below it. The writing was all fragments of the same story. Something dark and terrible rose from the lower halls of the mines of the Nazareen. At the news the dwarves ran. First they ran to face the horror from below and then later they ran from it scattering to Dort and the surface for safety. None of the survivors were among those that fought and so the descriptions of the evil were very vague: dark, hungry and viscous.

Jamail nodded along as Scarlet politely declined his offer. "Hmm. I can see how you might be concerned of angering those you would hope to ask for aid." He took a moment to ponder her question. "I suppose that depends on what you consider the "other-side"." He said at last. "Usually, we use the term to refer to speaking to the spirits of the dead, ghosts and so on, but I do not think that is your meaning." Jamail explained. "I can see into the realm of the gods and find knowledge there hidden to most men but never have I seen these spirits of the jungle that you wish to contact. Granted, I have not been looking for them or perhaps they hide from me as the monkey and mole do in the physical jungle." Jamail shrugged. "Would you tell me of the rituals of your people? I am always eager to learn."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Kytani Hajgomb
Civus

Post by Kytani Hajgomb »

’Unwelcome attention’?...Why…?, Kytani thought to herself as she noted the stares of both men, Jamail’s in particular which seemed to go on for faaar more than just a flicker or two. They act as if they had never seen anyone disrobed other than themselves – how odd. Nevertheless, the young panther kit gave a small shrug of her shoulders – unwittingly giving the men a final jiggle – before pulling her top back up, breaking ‘the spell’ and returning her to a cloth cage with the thick jungle humidity as her cellmate. She shot a curious glance over to Scarlet as the men chattered, listening to Jamail as he spoke of never communing with the nature spirits or even considering it. A soured smirk crossed her face as she resumed looking at the surroundings.

Savages…that explains everything… she thought to herself, her cloistered upbringing and unexpanded circle becoming more and more evident to herself as she took note on non-Kanthrop behavior. It is no wonder that the animals within them have gone away – all they care about is themselves with no regard to spirits either within or without… Her golden eyes peered through a window at the vegetation beyond. The sooner we are back in civilization, the better… Kytani felt as if her inner panther growled in agreement – the jungle was much more ‘normal’ than this odd abode.

OOC: Sorry for the hold up, but managed a few minutes to eke out a response.

Baylan Anvilhammer
Civus

OOC: We know your situation, Mr. Rat. No need for apologies. I hope all is going smoothly for you.

Baylan clutched at the scroll while confused tears welled silently; deep behind his now shockingly green eyes. The orbs always seemed to pick up a distinct hue when the dwarf was facing an emotionally-charged situation. Reading the runes once more, the Kaza-Rhunian noted the peculiar differences in the glyphs before him and the blocky font he was used to observing back home. These were narrower. Faster. As if they were sketched out and never fully inked. Or perhaps they were penned with haste.

His good mood having ran off on him completely now, Baylan read the scroll a third time for content while Scarlet continued her conversation with the harbinger of bad news.

But what does this one mean? The noun. The human text refers to it generically as 'something dark and terrible.' But the rune is one symbol. A specific noun. And one that I do not recognize.

He would have to remind himself to ask Jamail why the man of the jungle knew so much of the Nazereen. Where the events there somehow linked to the secrets of the dark labyrinth before them? Looking again to the unfamiliar rune, Baylan noted what he thought was a distinct relationship between said rune and the one commonly spoken as "Karrak," or "beast." He could not be sure, but he planned on bringing this up to the scholar at a later meeting. He did not dare waste his fellow shipmates' time. Besides, he was just as anxious to crawl into the thicket as the next 'bear-warper.' He was sure that they didn't need him slowing up their progress.

Putting the scroll aside for the time being, Baylan tuned back into the conversation of spirits and things mystical. As a dwarf, such things naturally tended to terrify the smithy. What came to mind that moment was fleeting images of childhood stories about the infamous djinn which populated parts of Terra Incognita. He hoped that they would find no similar spirits on the wooded island.

I would very much like for my own body to remain my own, thank you very much!

As if out of nowhere, the young crafter's emotions took hold of him as if they were reminding him of what was truly important, pushing his nearly subsided tears of remorse into a true rage. Three glyphs were still burned into his vision even after the scroll had been rolled and placed on the table before him. They were not precisely his kin, but they were people of the mountain none the less.

"Dark, Hungry, and Viscous!" The anger and fear roared in his voice as he spat the words to to world in confused disgust. "A dark force rising up from the mines... a force powerful enough to turn an entire colony on its heels."

Baylan was fuming now. Seeking answers the he was certain that none in present company had.
Last edited by Baylan Anvilhammer on Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

If Scarlet's face had fallen at Jamail's ignorance of forest spirits, then it froze now into a vaguely pleasant smile whilst her heart stopped beating.

Cryers

Could it be? Could they have ventured further than Ursa's isle? She had paid little attention to the conversation of the Dwarf in truth, some sob story about his homeland or another. It was a tale of no interest to Scarlet in the slightest until... something dark and terrible, rising from the mines, forcing a nation to the safety of the surface.

No.
It couldn't be.

Her attention flashed to the dwarf's outburst and her features softened for a second.

"My condolences friend. I pray you find your vengeance."

It was then that something in Scarlet snapped. This was not happening fast enough. If the Cryers had spilled forth into the world then the four of them - five with their latest recruit - had to move like the wind.

"Do it." She breathed, her face less of a smile than it was an insistence as she turned back to Jamail. "If you are willing to try and risk such danger, then I believe you might be the one to help us. I regret that I am no Shaman and I fear I cannot assist you directly. But, if you would show me the way to ask... I might be more in tune with the nature of the jungle than you. I may find the answers to questions you had not thought to ask." Her eyes flashed and she grinned, sharp canines suddenly evident in her smile.

She was thinking fast, she needed a path and she needed it fast. "If we speak of seeking knowledge that is hidden, then I seek a place also; a temple, of sorts, dedicated to the memory of the Dragon Kanthanar. If we might question Ursa, the mother then she might be able to guide our path. Or do you know of such a place or any like it?"

Scarlet cursed, she had hoped to slip the question in whilst they spoke of herbs or some similar banality. As it stood she feared she might have to press harder than she would have liked. She could feel her anonymity slipping through her hands. If she could but point a direction to the others she could probe the spirits for more detail and catch up later. After all, she could move much faster alone than the party.
Last edited by Scarlet on Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Jamail laid a comforting hand on the Baylan's shoulder. "Have faith, Kazan." The young lad said softly in Dwarven. "I feel sure your distant kin have not given up their homeland so easily. They might yet be succored."

Jamail was caught off guard by Scarlet's show of sympathy and doubly so at her sudden decision to accept his help and speedily. "Kanthanar?" Jamail tasted the name and found it an unfamiliar flavor. "I do not believe I am familiar with a dragon of that name. There are stone ruins in the jungle of strange architecture and decoration and some of those have the feel of temples to me." Jamail explained. "But none seemed devoted to a dragon." He finished with an apologetic shrug.

"If we are to commune with the spirits of the jungle, we should best be within its confines." Jamail concluded. "We could try it on the outskirts a few burns in or I could accompany you into jungle if you wish." Jamail walked to a nearby rack on the wall and picked up a readied pack and large hunting knife. Jamail never knew when an opportunity might strike and so was always ready to head into the jungle at a flicker's notice.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Baylan Anvilhammer
Civus

Baylan, too, was surprised at the changes in heart of the girl.

He knew nothing of this dragon creature, but he did know the face of someone trying to repress dire circumstances. Something was wrong with this situation. Her "prey" must be more important than she'd originally let on.

Why the reaction when I read the runes aloud? It's almost as if she sees a connection of some sort between the fate of the Nazareen people and her business in the jungle. My talking stirred her into changing her mind about allowing Jamail to talk with the jungle.

The dwarf was confused, but he was a polite man. As such, he bit his tongue and watched on with curiosity. He nodded respectfully as Jamail spoke to him before he turned his attention to Scarlet and then his pack.

"I will go!" The words sprung forth from the dwarf's mouth before he even so much as paused to reconsider involving himself with anything related to contacting spirits. "I'm not much one for the supernatural, you see... But the jungle. She calls me. Aye, let me travel with you. Besides, I would very much like a chance to speak with Jamail alone at some point. It seems like a good opportunity for all of us: I could lend a hand carrying supplies and the like."
Kytani Hajgomb
Civus

Post by Kytani Hajgomb »

Kytani, as well, had been ripped from both private musings and curiosities by the description - it certainly sounded like Cryers...

Scarlet wrote:"If we speak of seeking knowledge that is hidden, then I seek a place also; a temple, of sorts, dedicated to the memory of the Dragon Kanthanar. If we might question Ursa, the mother then she might be able to guide our path. Or do you know of such a place or any like it?"

The panther kit's eyes glared silently at the Isle Cat as Jamail said something in an incomprehensible language to the Dwarf right on the eve of Scarlet spilling her guts about details of what they were looking for. Had her kin all gone mad?

Tristam wrote:"Kanthanar? I do not believe I am familiar with a dragon of that name. There are stone ruins in the jungle of strange architecture and decoration and some of those have the feel of temples to me. But none seemed devoted to a dragon. If we are to commune with the spirits of the jungle, we should best be within its confines. We could try it on the outskirts a few burns in or I could accompany you into jungle if you wish."

Kytani grew uneasy, but tried not to let it show - this man seemed to be familiar with the location, as they had hoped, but appeared to have no vested interest until Scarlet and she had shown interest and then, all of a sudden, his curiosity was piqued? Her eyes went to his pack, the knife, and the pelts, suddenly wondering what the prize value of a warped Kanthrop skin would bring these outlanders. Her thoughts, as well, were on Baylan's report of Cryer-like creatures as he suddenly volunteered to help as well, especially at one key phrase.

Baylan Anvilhammer wrote:"...Besides, I would very much like a chance to speak with Jamail alone at some point. It seems like a good opportunity for all of us: I could lend a hand carrying supplies and the like."

Kytani suddenly trusted Jamail and Baylan about as far as she could throw them...if their feet had been nailed to the floor first...but she bit her tongue, wondering what Xenovia and Muraco's take on them would be. She sure as nether was not going to tip Xenovia off about her concerns - the wounds were still too fresh - or Scarlet, for that matter.

Muraco, on the other paw, was in for an earful when opportunity presented itself, provided he could stay silent about it.

Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

Scarlet glanced from the dwarf to the explorer. Getting directions was one thing, finding a guide was quite another.

She turned to speak to Jamail in a simple and forthright manner, wasting no time on etiquette or games.

"What direction do these temples lie under? If you have a map or at least a preference to walk into the rising or setting sun then I can send my companions ahead with at least some direction whilst we consult the spirits. Should we prove successful in our questioning then we will surely make up the ground together. If not, then I have my own ways to cover the ground - though I think you may find it hard to follow."

There, a simple incentive for Jamail. Now the Dwarf. Scarlet's eyes flashed over him before flicking to Kytani. She walked over, placing her lips next to her hut-mate's ear as she spoke in whispers only half articulated.

"I'm thinking this: You take a direction to Xen and Muraco, press as hard as you can into the jungle. I will try to contact the spirits for a more accurate path. If we are not successful, I will warp and track you as a beast to cover the ground. Hunt no cats ok?" Scarlet smiled and winked. On Ursa the kanthrop hunted no predator, here... that balance might not carry should tooth and claw follow in the night.

"As for the dwarf, you can take him if you wish. If the shadow that killed the Nasazreen is the same shadow I fear, he might prove useful if only as a distraction. In any case, If he proves a burden... Dwarves die as swiftly as any other once they start bleeding."

Scarlet stepped back and raised her voice back to an audible level for Baylan and Jamail. "Sound like a plan?"

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

This time Xenovia didn't even pause outside the building, nodding her assent to Calraen that it was acceptable for him to wait outside. As she stepped into the smaller, yet somehow less stuffy room, Xenovia's veiled eyes narrowed at Scarlet when she spoke of a plan. Naturally, it went unnoticed, though it would not be difficult to sense the tension upon her.

Making plans without me now, hm?

Her earlier resentment for Scarlet's subversive behavior seemed quite ready to remain in the depths of Xenovia's bitter heart. Glancing toward Muraco, she spoke simply, not bothering to introduce herself to Jamail or Baylan. "We have our supplies, but it seems we're attracting a bit of unwanted attention here. It's time to go. Do we have a direction?"
[size=84][i]"When the sun is gone I see you:
beautiful and haunting, but cold;
like the blade of a knife so sharp, so sweet --
nobody knows your heart." - Princess Mononoke[/i][/size]
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

"The ruins lie to the north and slightly to the west of here. As the parrot flies." He walked over to a cabinet of sorts and rummaged around in it for a while, digging out a piece of parchment which he spread out on the table which stood to one side of the room. "It is not the best map of the island, but it will do. I marked sightings of buildings and such on this one. There are some here...here...and here..." His finger indicated several spots all over the island. "The larger sites seem to be to the north and west though." His finger indicated a larger area on the map. "But there's a lot of jungle between here and there. It will be quite a walk to reach it."

Just as Scarlet thought to let Kytani in on her idea, Muraco and Xenovia entered, giving her no time to finish her sentence beyond "I'm thinking this...".
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Kytani Hajgomb
Civus

Post by Kytani Hajgomb »

Scarlet wrote:"I'm thinking this...

Whatever cards Scarlet had wished to show Kytani were trumped by the arrival of the always bright and chipper Xenovia, whose carefree and light nature practically brightened the room with her entrance. However, with her sudden mistrust of the two non-Kanthrops, Kytani found her instincts siding with their leader's, especially with all of the pelts hanging about.

"Physically, yes..." Kytani answered with a small chuckle as she walked closer toward the bird warper. "Spiritually, not so much... Communing seems to be a new invention around these parts but yes, Xen... It would seem that we have our 'supplies' too - as well as things to discuss when other ears are busied elsewhere..." she concluded, uttering all after 'too' sotto voce, her hand lightly on Xenovia's shoulder, if allowed, her lips bent close to an ear.

"I have a bad feeling about this...", came her concluding whisper.

Return to “Triangle Islands”