Tuirdhiel’s Tavern - Jy 30th - MT

These estates surrounding the larger cities of the WK include Pax Balthasar, Brie and several other smaller grounds. The barons rule supreme and intent on holding on to their belongings.

Moderators: Vanadius, Morg, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

It was an easy situation to be suspicious of.

The gleam in Savarak's eyes was strange and all too familiar. Zealots were always dangerous, no matter how well intentioned, and Ulder was somewhat reluctant to enter into a blood pact with him. Was the knife poisoned? Or perhaps some other drug had been introduced to the steel. Would the rebel leader honor this vow, when others had abandoned their oaths to him to further their own aims.

There was little he could do. If he refused, they would see him as a potential enemy and untrue against the words he had just spoken. If he agreed, he was potentially allying himself with someone who just openly admitted he wanted to control the town, and that was a slippery slope. No matter what, what he did next might ensure the town's freedom, or doom it to war after war for freedom.

With only a moment's pause, he made his decision. He stood and drew his sword about a hand's span out of the scabbard. He did it slowly enough to demonstrate he was not attacking Savarak, but quickly enough to show purpose and determination. He nicked the side of his thumb on his own blade, and let the drops of blood fall onto the cloth that was already stained with the Adhiel's blood, making sure that his own co-mingled with Savarak's.

"This sword is foresworn to the cause of the town's freedom. Let my blood oath show how committed I am to that cause."

Hopefully it was the blood that Savarak was after, and not something more sinister. Ulder had used his own blade, a careful but necessary precaution, and presumably enough to prove to all watching, that he was serious and solemn about his vow.
[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=404]Ulder's Compendium[/url]

[size=67]Avatar by permission of Amok. http://en.amokanet.ru/[/size]
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

“My name,” began the achadhiel before pausing for a few moments as if pondering his reply. “My name is Marenis, Draydis Quinn. I hope you do not mind me using your name with such familiarity.”

As Marenis spoke, Ulder stood and drew his sword. An audible collective intake of breath echoed around the tavern, only to be slowly released when it became clear that the brown-haired man was merely intent on sealing a blood pact with Savarak.

The rebel leader picked up the cloth, folding it carefully and then tucking it once more inside his belt. “The pact is sealed,” he said, “with dagger, sword and blood.” He handed back the dagger to the bodyguard, who slipped it into its sheath before striding back to the door.

“We should talk in private, so that no ears may over hear us. We must co-ordinate our plans.” Savarak motioned for Ulder to follow him into the private room guarded by the two men. If Ulder did so, he would find a room sparsely furnished with a table and several hard chairs. A number of books, writing implements and scrolls were scattered over the table. A tray containing glasses and a decanter of wine sat close to one edge.

“Please take a seat and begin.” Savarak deposited himself on one of the seats, quickly rolling up a scroll that had lain open on the table.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

When Ulder and the others left to enter a different room, Draydis was disappointed. He hoped that Ulder would not be too much longer, as the achadhiel next to Dray was beginning to become annoying.

With Ulder gone, Dray's gaze turned fully towards the achadhiel. With a fluid movement, Dray turned his chair and body as well so he was fully facing this one that called himself Marenis.

"You profess to know many things, friend." The commander searched the face of Marenis, trying to remember if he knew him from anywhere...
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder followed and took up a seat across from Savarak. As prompted, he went into the details about how Commander Carbonneau would order his Pax Honestus to stand down tonight at the end of the first day of the festival.

He also told the rebel leader of his suspicions of the Baron of Foreno, and how he thought the Baron would invade the region in an attempt to annex the land and town for his own territories. Lastly, he told Savarak that he would deploy the Swordmark in defense of the town, and try to hold it as long as possible against any retribution from the Church, Foreno, or any other force that tried to lay a claim to the town and it's environs, and threaten the sovereignty of Pax Balthasar.

When all was shared and in the open, Ulder sat back and waited for the rebel leader to process the information, and respond. There was still an element of mistrust, but Ulder now had many witnesses to their oath and promise, and if there was any betrayal, he knew he had the ability to avenge himself if need be.

Guido Cercatoro

The face of the achadiel was not one that Dray recognised. The man had a blank, plain face – one that had no unusual features – just the sort of nondescript man that could pass by without attracting attention.

“It is my calling to know,” replied Marenis, arching his eyebrows a little. “I search for things and people. It is how I make my living. I have a client who wishes me to find you. Tell me Draydis, do you wish to be found?”

Savarak listened attentively to all Ulder said, nodding slowly many times. When Ulder sat back, indicating that he had finished, the young achadhiel made his reply.

“You have been straightforward with me and so I will reply in kind. I have a core of forty or so men whom I can rely on, most of whom have some fighting ability. I can also rouse a good portion of the town in support although few will be much use against any Foreno troops. Controlling some of the more hothead elements may also prove difficult. One thing in our favour may be the festivities, for the town will be crowded and chaotic this eventide.”

He paused for a good while before continuing, twisting one finger through the locks of his hair.

“There is more I must tell you,” the youth began uncertainly. “I have access to certain information that may be critical to our success or failure.” He looked pensive as he spoke, perhaps uncomfortable in recounting what he was to say.

“There is a man in this town renowned for the quality of the information he provides. He goes by the name of Dipper. Who he is, I cannot say. Yet, in recent times he has been providing me with information without charge. Perhaps he is sympathetic to our cause or perhaps he works for someone who is sympathetic. I have pondered whether the Provost..” Savarak shook his head.

“In any event, he has provided me with the information about Foreno’s troops and…more. He tells me that Foreno is allied with the remaining Grey Robes who escaped your hunt some months ago. The leader of this group thirsts for revenge, for his beloved was killed in the conflict by the stone cube. The mage who accompanies Foreno is likely one of the members of this group and there are several others hiding in town. Foreno is no religious zealot, simply an opportunist, so this is no doubt an alliance of convenience for him. I suspect he fears the mage, Torc, who defended the town against the Grey Robes. The leader of the Grey Robes seeks revenge against this mage and Foreno has promised him his head once he is in control. Apparently my head is also on offer, for I was involved in that conflict.” The young rebel grimaced but he looked a little shaken.

“And there is a third leg to this alliance. There are those in King’s Court who seek to take advantage of the situation here. Baron DeRohm’s son has arrived here to cement some agreement with Foreno.” Savarak smiled. “Foreno calls this grouping his “Unholy Alliance” for they are all unlikely bedfellows.”
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis chuckled slightly. He was frustrated that this one had found him so easily and seemingly knew so much about him.

"These days, one must be cautious when ones such as you come calling. But, if you know me as well as you profess, you also know that I have faced and overcome many trials with the blessings of the Mother as my saving grace."

He turned in his chair to fully face this stranger.

"The answer to your question depends greatly on the identity of your employer, though since you have already found me, I suspect that my opinion counts little." His voice was not angry or agitated, but the words were simply spoken as a fact. "Are you at liberty to state the name of your employer?"

DMD Member since 2005
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

"Forty men. That is excellent. When we combine our forces, we will stand very strong together against those who would seize control of Pax Balthasar. I think it best if we use the men of our united forces. It's been my experience that a well disciplined troop, with good communication and purpose are far more formidable then a larger, more chaotic force, especially with the town crowded as you mentioned."

Ulder said nothing as the rebel twirled his hair. It seemed he had more to say, and when he finally did verbalize what he was thinking, Ulder was happy he waited as Savarak spoke of the Dipper and the alliance between Foreno and the Grey Robes.

The identity of the Dipper was an interesting thing to ponder over as well. Ulder learned information was valuable currency in his time in the Citadel, and quality information was even more valuable. Savarak thinking it was the Provost was likely a good guess. He did tend to exhibit sympathetic behaviors, and as the chief administrator, he would have access to many different sources, and the ability to corroborate information from those sources. Ulder's gut reaction about hearing about the Dipper leaned towards Tamerton for many of the same reasons Savarak suspected Sanguine, but that was instinct and not based on anything factual.

"Well that confirms every suspicion I have about the Baron of Foreno and his designs here. I don't know this Torc, but it sounds like you do, and he can be a third leg to our own alliance. If he defended the town once, perhaps he will do so again, especially armed with the knowledge that not only you are with him, but the Swordmark is as well."

For perhaps the hundredth time, Ulder wished Elvin had stayed in Pax and not been called away on business elsewhere.

"Torc's head, as well as your own, will be difficult things for Foreno to acquire. The first step in avoiding a trap, is knowing it exists. I will relay this information to Commander Carbonneau's own spies within the town, and perhaps those that hiding among us can be identified and neutralized before they can strike."

Ulder knew little of Baron DeRohm or his son, but he had heard enough from his dissident father to know that the elder Baron commanded the Kingstone Guard, and that was troubling news at best. The Kingstone Guard were elite, and if there was alliance between them and Foreno, then this was a fight that was likely to escalate in an ugly , dangerous way. Now, for perhaps the thousandth time, Ulder was now wishing that he had more men. Even with the timely and welcome addition of Savarak's troops, he knew that he needed far more than the hundred or so they had now. He sighed heavily and prayed that his efforts to recruit honorable and stalwart people to their cause would be more effective than it ever had been, and that the bravery of the other Barons, especially Sebastian would also bear fruit. If the Border Estates could be united in purpose, then those in power in the Church and the Government in King's Court might think twice about starting a civil war, and sit down to negotiate some sort of peaceful accord.

"That is news that is more than a little troubling. The Baron commands the Kingstone Guard. Likely the most elite forces in all the Western Kingdom. As you probably already know, I have been spending the last few months trying to recruit and create allies of our own. The Baron of Brie has agreed to stand with us, and the others have been sending food and aid here to help with the hunger and shortages. Perhaps we will need any who can fight after all. If the Kingstone thunders in, we will need any and every one who can wield a weapon to stop them."

Ulder paused a moment, taking it all in and trying to process it.

"I am glad we met Savarak. I can see a day coming soon, where the fragile peace of this land might shatter. But your words and assistance here might be the foundation of something bigger. I hope together we can forge a peace here in this town, and keep that from happening."

Guido Cercatoro

Marenis chuckled. “I always give those I find the opportunity to provide me with a reason why I should not find them. To be frank, I am of a mercenary nature. But in this case, I suspect that you might not mind being found. Let me say that the one who seeks you is a Lady of your previous acquaintance. Her name is Alanatha. Do you wish her to find you?”

**********************************************************************************************

“It would be useful to have the mage, Torc, on our side, perhaps even essential unless you know of any others of equivalent power,” agreed Savarak. “And yet he is of Dominicus, so I am unclear as to how he may react, even if he is of a liberal persuasion. I know of him but I do not know him personally. If you could find a way of cementing him to our cause, I am sure it would increase our chance of success.”

“You are no doubt a better military man than I and so I will place thirty of my men directly at your disposal. Let me know where you wish them to be stationed and at what time. The others I must hold in reserve should they need to deal with any hotheads.”

The young achadhiel frowned. “There is one other in town who we might need to sound out. Indeed, she is perhaps the most powerful person in this place. She is a high priestess of the Father who has been keeping a low profile, for she is concerned with the strange events in this town. Her name is Nyrellon. Strangely, she is a confidant of the Provost. Do you know of her?
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

"I will do my best to seek out this Torc and attempt to secure his assistance. If there are any places you know where he is known to frequent, I would be most grateful to hear them so I may find him easier."

Ulder nodded as he agreed to take command of thirty of Savarak's men.

"If you would be so kind as to do me a favor with regards to your men. I am understanding that many will not want to follow a human, so if you will please give those immediate instructions personally, they might be more willing to follow my lead. I will give you my solemn promise that I will do everything I can to keep all of them alive, but sometimes that requires trust without hesitation. I know they trust you already, but there might come a time where they must trust me as well. Your word will go a very long way in achieving that trust."

"I will give my instructions to you, for them as the time draws near and after we review their strengths. I agree that you should retain a personal guard in reserve. Your safety is very important, and although I'm already designing a way for you to be a difficult target, its wise to take an extra step of precaution or two."

Ulder was surprised that the woman Nyrellon was not a One-ist. She had grilled him pretty hard upon their arrival in Pax Balthasar about his faith. He did not expect or anticipate that she was devoted to another religion.

"Yes, I'm familiar with her. Although that she is an Aspirant of the Father is new and unknown to me. We met when we first arrived here. I think I know where to seek her out."

Ulder knew little of Nyrellon, but he had been around the town council and merchants over the past few months enough to know where she resided. He decided on a personal visit to her home later was the best course of action.

"Now then, before I go off trying to stir up more support for our cause, perhaps you can tell me what kind of people you have so we can devise a workable strategy to defend the town."

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

A flood of memories burst into Dray's mind at the mention of Alantha's name. He was thrilled that she was still alive, yet very sad at his complete failure to hold to his duty.

"She..." There was some sadness in his voice. "...she wants to find me?"

Even from beneath the hood of the cloak, the achadhiel could tell that Dray was nodding his head. "Yes, I would be honored to be in the Lady's presence again. For that, I would be in your debt."

There was a definite tone in Dray's voice that indicated he was deeply touched that Alantha would seek him out. It was also clear that he had unending respect and love for her...

DMD Member since 2005
Guido Cercatoro

“The mage is a frequent visitor to the Gate tavern and he is also known to have a booth at the festival field. You should have no problem in finding him. Do not worry about my men; you will have command of those I trust the most. They will obey you if I tell them to; one is named Agradan, a former mercenary - he has firm control over these men, Go through him and you will have no problem.” Savarak spoke fluently and to the point. He was clearly a man of decisive action, once he had taken a decision. There was also a cultured manner in the way he phrased his words; an obviously educated man.

“Take care if you seek out Nyrellon. She has a quick tongue and an arrogant manner. And do not be misled by her appearance, for she is a powerful woman. Treat her with respect and awe is my advice.” The young achadhiel grimaced as if to indicate that he had suffered from the woman’s tongue in the past.

“As far as my supporters go, well you have the cream of them. The rest are a motley cross-section of the population of the town and refugee camp. I have not dared organise too heavily amongst these for fear of repression by the guards. I can stir up several groups of youths who might create diversions throughout the town but I would not trust them with more than this. There are also a number of merchants and craftsmen who are supportive of our cause. But perhaps we are going about this the wrong way. If you tell me of your plans, I can then more easily establish how my people can best assist.”

***********************************************************************************************

Marenis nodded slowly at Dray’s positive response. “Very well then, I will inform her that I have found you and that you are willing to speak to her. I have the means to contact her quickly, perhaps even this very day. I will find you when I have more for you, unless there is a message for me to relay?”
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder listened carefully to the rebel leader's advice in regards to both Torc and Nyrellon. He was also somewhat relieved and glad to hear that Savarak's men had some ability, and were disciplined enough to follow without too much hand holding. Agradan seemed exactly like the sort Ulder needed to stay in charge of Savarak's people if fighting erupted.

"I hope the merchants and townspeople will only used be as a last resort. I would be loathe to get innocent people involved in the fighting. If we are defeated, then perhaps things go on as they are and nearly all of them will live. If they join in, then there is a greater chance that if we still lose despite their aid, many more will die and things will worsen here considerably. Beatings, rapes and torture are not part of everyday life here today, but they could be if too many of the townsfolk get involved in this."

"If you tell me of your plans, I can then more easily establish how my people can best assist.”

"Fair enough. It's a simple enough plan with three parts. Tonight, after the festival winds down, Commander Carbonneau will assemble the Pax Honestus to address them. He will commend them and praise them for their service, and then he will tell them that their mission here in Pax Balthasar has been completed and that they will be standing down. He will order the unit back through the portal to King's Court for redeployment, and they will then make an orderly withdrawal."

"Meanwhile, the Commander's scouts, who have infiltrated the town some weeks and months ago, and have been here posing as ordinary citizens, will secure the portal during the festival to ensure safe transport for the entire force for its return to King's Court. Controlling the Portal is an essential part of the plan, and thus his best men will secretly be moving into position to defend and control the Portal."

"Lastly, the Swordmark, now bolstered and strengthened with your people, will step in and assume the role of guarding and protecting the town after the withdrawal of the Pax Honestus."

"Ideally, the entire Pax Honestus will march to the portal and travel back to the capital without incident, and we will stand in their place afterward, but few plans go as plotted out, and we have allowed ourselves room for flexibility in regards to dealing with events not accounted for. Commander Carbonneau and I share a strategic ideal for fluidity and adaptability. The greatest unknown is how many of the Honestus will follow orders and return to King's court. It could be all of them, it could be most of them, it could be merely a few of them. The Commander is confident that as many as eight in ten will follow him. There will likely be those that will dissent and wish to remain to keep the people here and leave things unchanged. But unless they have been forewarned, this new order from their Commander will catch dissidents off guard, without clear leadership, and disorganized. This will give us an obvious tactical advantage if fighting ensues. If the force of those wanting to stay loyal to their dead king is large, the Swordmark and your people must join the fight, out flank the unit, and pincer them in to fight on two fronts against two well trained, disciplined forces. If we are successful in neutralizing and defeating whatever dissident force there is, then we will secure the town, and prepare for defending it against Foreno and any other force that attempts to reclaim it."

Ulder didn't think he had to explain the latter part of his comment. Savarak likely already held some idea that this would not be a popular act with the radical elements of the One Church.

"Perhaps our biggest exposure to failure would be if Foreno makes his move during the festival. Then the combined might of the Swordmark and your people might have to be the ones to stop him. Commander Carbonneau is prepared to fight them and defend the town in that capacity if necessary as he has the authority to enforce the peace of the Kingdom, even against the Baron. But a strike by Foreno during the festival reduces the advantages we have in place now by reducing the number of people who might be needed to fight once the force is ordered to stand down, thus reducing our chances of success."

There it was. The entire strategy for the liberation of Pax Balthasar laid out for the rebel leader. Ulder waited to see how Savarak would respond, and if he could in some other way contribute to their chances of success.

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis nods. "Yes, there is a message good sir. Tell her that with all my heart, I am sorry, for I failed her. Tell her that I beg for her forgiveness. She will know what I mean."

It had been some time since he had seen the Lady Darkstar...and many changes had happened to him. He wondered what had happened to her during the same time.

"Is she well?"

It had been the commander's duty to protect her...to protect the seed. He hoped that the Mother had taken over his duty when he had failed to do so...

DMD Member since 2005
Guido Cercatoro

The young achadhiel said little as Ulder outlined his plans. When the details had been laid out, Savarak spoke briefly and to the point.

“I can see little wrong with the plan apart from the unknowns that you have outlined. My feeling is that most of the Honestus are weary of their role here and would welcome escaping this town. At the very least, they are unlikely to question their commander. However, there are a group of guards who are fervent Oneists and regard their presence here to be a holy duty. They have been stirred up by a Oneist priest of late and they might give you some cause for concern. I know the location of the priest’s chapel; it might be prudent to place a watch on it.”

“As for Foreno, the real question is whether he will take action on his own or intends to be in place to react to any disturbance in the town. I suspect that he will bide his time as he will not want to be seen as instigating a coup. If he claims to be defending the kingdom’s interests then it will be much easier for him to justify any actions he takes. My best guess is that he will wait to see if others move first, but I may be wrong.” He shrugged letting out a light peel of laughter. “I have been known to be wrong on occasion.”

“The securing of the portal will be a key moment. If this can be done quietly with no disturbance, then we will be much better placed for the rest of the plan. However, if Foreno discovers the swordmark in charge of the portal, it may prompt him into action.”

“And, of course, the key question is how much Foreno knows of your plans. Having a talk with one of his advisors might be prudent…or perhaps even the Provost, if he is benevolent towards us. Both options would be risky but might yield useful information.”

*****************************************************************************************

Marenis stood to take his leave of his companion. “The Lady is physically well,” he muttered quietly. “But her mind is troubled. She does not confide in me, of course, for I am only a hired hand. Perhaps she seeks your counsel? In any event, I will deliver your message.” With a bow of his head, the achadhiel swept out of the tavern. He was light on his feet, moving as if her were a feather caught on a breeze.

The tavern was getting boisterous as more and more alcohol was being consumed by those present.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

As the man spoke, Dray had a flood of emotions. What did he mean by saying that she was physically well but had a troubled mind? Marenis had stated that he might be able to deliver Dray's words to Alantha even that day. In short time, hopefully, Draydis would know more about Lady Darkstar...

When the man left, the commander returned his focus to the remainder of the tavern. It was starting to get a bit out of hand, and Ulder had yet to conclude his meeting in the other room. It was not optimal, but Dray decided to remain where he was until Ulder was available for a meeting...

DMD Member since 2005
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder was glad that Savarak could see little wrong with his plan. It always was a good practice to create a strategy and then have someone outside looking in review it. A certain objectivity was always good counsel.

"I thought the same thing of the Honestus. I imagine many of them would like to return to their families or serve in some other capacity than gate keeper. Your concern over the more ardent supporters is duly noted, and when I meet with the Commander again later, I will tell him of the chapel in which you speak."

"The good news in regards to the portal is it's not my men that will be guarding it, so it won't be seen as me and my people. It is the Commander's men who have infiltrated the town in recent weeks that will be securing the portal, so unless he knows the identities of all of the Commander's disguised men, I imagine it will only be seen as ordinary townsfolk nearby, and other members of the Honestus guarding and securing the portal. It likely won't look much different than any other day, and thus not alert him, or so we hope."

Ulder inwardly shook his head and declined as Savarak spoke of talking to some of Foreno's advisers. Outwardly, he gave the impression of looking on, and listening carefully, but inwardly he silent rejected the idea as being too dangerous. Some of the most important facets of his plan relied on stealth and surprise and the shock value of it happening before their eyes. In Ulder's mind, probing Foreno's people might only tip them off, and ruin it...

...Unless...

"I would be willing to speak with some of Foreno's people only if you know of sympathizers within his ranks. If there is someone among them that has disagreed with the mandates of Pax in the past that you know of, then that is one thing, but revealing a feint before you make the move proves useless. I would rather the Baron be as surprised as the rest. If he already knows what we're doing, then his intelligence network is vast, sophisticated and far better than anyone dreams, and if that's true then we have something completely new to worry about."

Guido Cercatoro

Savarak quickly outlined the location of the chapel– it was in a small side street close to the barracks. When Ulder mentioned the possibility of speaking to one of Foreno’s people, the achadhiel leader leant forwards supporting himself on his elbows. “There is one of his junior advisors who frequents the Gate tavern. He is a little loose with his tongue when drunk but has been heard expressing sympathy with the plight of the citizens of this town. He might speak more freely to one of his own race such as yourself. In any event, it is the best I can offer unless you want to rsk the provost. “

“If you have no more questions, I must go and organise my men.”

There was still no sign of Ulder leaving the side room and Dray was left to his own devices once Marenis had departed. One of the guards that had been stationed outside the door to the room in which Ulder was located had sauntered over to the bar. He was talking to the barman, who cast a quick glance in Dray’s direction before shrugging his shoulders.

A young adhiel waiter approached Dray. “Can I get you anything else to drink?” She gave her customer a broad smile.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder committed as many of the details of the church as he was able to memory. He would later share this information with Brytan and Commander Carbonneau, and when the festival was in full swing, he would have one of his men watching the chapel closely.

"Perhaps we have run out of time to do something about the One-ist in the Chapel. Perhaps if we could have met sooner, then I could have somehow neutralized that threat, but with the festival later tonight, I can't risk exposing the plan at this point. I'll set a watchful eye upon the Chapel and if anything happens during the festival, perhaps we'll have some advance warning of their movements. Maybe knowing they are engaging the battle before they do so will be enough information to go on to stop them."

Ulder stood and straightened his tunic.

"I thank you with a humble and sincere heart Savarak. The freedom of Pax Balthasar has been accelerated by your aid and assistance. No one shall forget that, least of all me."

He offered his hand to shake, and once the rebel leader had allowed him to leave, he would make his way back into the common room.

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray did his best to avoid the stare of anybody present in the tavern. He remained only to speak with Ulder as soon as he was finished with his private meeting.

The commander shook his head when asked about another drink. "No, thank you."

He hoped that Ulder would not be too much longer. There were many things that Dray had to do this day before the evening arrived...

ooc: as soon as Ulder becomes visible again, Dray will wave to get his attention or call out his name...

DMD Member since 2005
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

As he made his way back into the common room, Ulder was lost in his thoughts. He pondered over Savarak's words and advice, and also thought deeply about the man himself. This was his rebellion long before Ulder stepped one foot into Pax. This fact was not lost on Ulder in the slightest, and he was both very grateful and very pleased that although the meeting took much longer than he had hoped to ever even happen, he did take a great deal of comfort in the fact that it had been productive and fruitful, perhaps moreso than he thought possible in the days and weeks before.

The sound of someone hailing him broke him out of his reverie. Few knew he was in this tavern this tide, and those who did would likely not say anything at all, or at least wait until he was outside.

He turned to look to see who was calling...

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

When Ulder made his appearance and noticed Draydis, he turned to pick up his pack and headed for the door. What the commander had to say didn't need any additional ears listening. He acknowledged Ulder with only a nod towards the door.

With that, the commander headed outside, careful to keep his cloak fully in place to keep his identity and appearance a secret...

DMD Member since 2005
Guido Cercatoro

Savarak firmly shook Ulder's outstretched hand. Once his new ally had departed, the young rebel sat back in his chair, stroking his chin throughtfully.

Ulder heard Dray's hail and would then see the cloaked figure make his way to the tavern door. The eyes of the guard standing at the bar followed the back of the cloaked man as he left the building.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Curious, Ulder followed the cloaked figure outside. Perhaps this was the aforementioned Agradan, coming to speak with him already. Ulder marveled at the speed of Savarak's organization.

If his men can move as fast as their leadership, it bodes well for tonight... He thought. Not knowing he could not be more wrong in his assumption.

He followed the other man as far as he wanted, anxious to speak with him and brief him of their plans.

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray walked for a short pace away from the tavern, wanting to get away from the prying ears of anybody other than Ulder.

Once the leader of the Swordmark had caught up, Dray took a moment to carefully choose his words.

"Tonight, a creature of darkness comes. The Mother has shown this to me, so I know it to be fact. I know your opinion of me is likely not much, but I wanted to give you this information because I know you fight on the side of truth, justice, and honor. I intend to destroy the beast that comes or die trying. I have been in prayer in solitude for several months now, but I intend to ask the Guard for their help. I do not want to join your ranks as I serve only the Mother, but perhaps we could at least count on each other as allies."

Dray waited for Ulder to react. He continued to wear his hood over his face, and hoped that the other would know him by his voice alone...

DMD Member since 2005
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

When the other turned to face him, Ulder knew he had been mistaken and this was not Savarak's man. Now even more mystified, he concentrated on the dark cloaked figure's words.

At first, they were dark and cryptic, and there was a note and tone of familiarity in them. It wasn't until the other man mentioned serving only the mother that it began to dawn on Ulder who he was speaking with.

Ulder was clueless as to what the Commander was talking about, but since it coincided with the momentous events of this evening, he was going to have to share some valuable information. Both their lives may depend on it.

"I don't know what this creature you speak of is Commander, but I do know that the guard will not be able to assist you. Tonight, after the festival begins to wind down, the Pax Honestus will be ordered by Commander Carbonneau to stand down and return to King's Court. I don't know how many will follow, or if any will disobey orders, but as as you well know, that very order will free this town from the mandate of a dead King, and Pax will be a free city."

"If this thing comes, whatever it is, it's going to show up when the Pax Honestus are standing down, and the Swordmark will be standing up in there place. That's a sketchy situation at best, and to make matters worse, we don't know how some of the other Barons will react. There are rumors and vague reports of an armed force outside the town ready to seize control. Either your beastie has the world's worst possible timing, or Gods forbid it's being controlled by someone outside Pax Balthasar. This place is a tinderbox Commander. More shifts in our precious, fragile peace will cause it to ignite. If it's coming tonight as you say, we're all in for a hell of a fight."

Return to “The Baron Estates”