Cruinnium - The Gathering

Terra West is the continent that stretches from the rolling grasslands of the Western Kingdom, the icy peaks of the Howling Ice Mountains hiding the Kingdoms of Khan and Kaza Rhun to the dragoninfested desert of Terra Incognita. To the North one can find the woodlands that house the mysterious Adhiel and the swamp that harbor Orcs. T'aquar is open as a starting location for players.

Moderators: Vanadius, Morg, Mods

Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Cruinnium - The Gathering

Post by Vanadius »

At wondrous Llèrionn bir Uilisruth, the River Gate, the Adhiel assembled. With breathless anticipation they waited for the Achlaroiliu to appear from deep within the Siorigaichiu, the Evergreen.

To those who were returning here from far away lands, there was a sensation of dread mingling with powerful excitement. For those who had remained, and stayed to carry on the fight, there was a sense of sadness and great responsibility.

Either way, there was a nervous buzz of many quiet conversations taking place within the gathering throng of Adhiel...
Thrandil
Hunter, Lieutenant Emerald Guard

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil had chosen not to talk any further during their journey and had acknowledged Kormus' words only with a nod. He suppressed a smile when he saw the few faces he knew and neither did he interact with them. Were it not for the grave matters that would probably be discussed and the pressing atmosphere, he wouldn't have thought a flicker about saying hello to some of them.

The Raidhiel seemed well organised, and he liked that. They didn't show allegiance to a certain god, at least not outward to the world. That was an improvement too, after the Emerald Guard has gotten a zealot as a leader.

The former Emerald Guardsman waited patiently, knowing that he didn't have anything going against... as far as he knew at least. All would end well for him, and he'd see who he could speak to afterward to get a lay of the current political landscape.

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The first figure to emerge from within the Evergreen was one that was known to Thrandil, it was the sharp eyed, sharp featured Niall Grittain. Although Grittain was was quite acclaimed as a cunning and able warrior, he wore no weapons or armor, instead dressed in a simple rough spun tunic and leggings, with soft knee boots that strode onto the bridge confidently. He carried with him some sort of scroll or baton, that he held loosely in the crook of one arm and as he reached the apex of the span, he looked out and over all of the assembling Adhiel.

"I salute the world in each of you." He proclaimed boldly and a hush fell over the crowd.

"The Achlaroiliu welcomes you to Llèrionn bir Uilisruth. There is much to be discussed, much to be decided upon. We shall attempt to make as much progress in those decisions here today."

Grittain bowed his head and retreated to one side as other figures began to emerge from the forest on the north side of the bridge.

The first was a tall Adhiel, with striking features and a noble countenance. He was immediately recognizable as E'uinn, Elevie's twin brother. He wore a sword in a bandoleer over one shoulder, and also carried some sort of baton. He turned slowly, reaching his hand back to reach for a woman who's face was hidden in the hood of the ornate white cloak she wore. She was barefoot, and slender as she made her way up the bridge. When they both reached the arch of the bridge, she turned her back to the crowd for a few moments, speaking closely with E'uinn. He nodded a few times and spoke something in a whisper that could not be heard over the waters of the Awyl river.

At last she turned to face the throng, and pulled back her hood.

It was Elevie.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Carefully did the Adhiel warrior survey what was going on. He kept quiet, to himself and concentrated on everything but the crowd. The guards or anyone who was going to take a prominent place during this meeting. His breathing was deep and slow, for he was neither exhausted or active.

It was then that a familiar face came into sight. Niall Grittain... uncle of Draesl, whom Thrandil had met about a year ago. More important, he was the guardian of the Tarien, Elevie. Thran had lost his heart with the princess, when they were on the Attica for a while, however, afterwards, when he returned her home, he had lost her again in the war. He could only hope she was still alive, and that she would know him the way she did back then.

Then E'uinn came out of the Evergreen. The former Emerald Guard wasn't too up to date with him when he left T'aquar the last time, even less now. He was important to the Border Patrol back then, and the prince, Elevie's twin brother. He looked like her, and it reminded Thran of him. It brought back memories... and a tear rolled down the Adhiel's cheek. The Prince held out his hand for a woman to come forward, in a white cloak, hooded. The prince must've married when Elevie could nowhere be found, Thrandil thought, as T'aquar was a matriarchal society and they always had had a Tari.

The Panling was eager to see who E'uinn had married, maybe he even knew the girl from his time in T'aquar. However, as she pulled back her hood, Thran sucked in air, and his body lunched forward, had it not been that his mind kept his legs where they were. It was Elevie, it really was her. Immediately, the warrior kneeled, his head lowered, hoping his hair would cover his face. He gritted his teeth and closed his eyes to prevent tears forming.

He then quoted a poem of his own, as he did long ago, hopefully not too loud, but loud enough for Elevie to hear.

"The woods my home
The island the forests'
Pan my guide
The Mother my commander
Loyal to the Tari
Benevolent to her kin
Green hued my armour
A tree around my finger
A life for my country
My life in the Emerald Guard."

After that, he remained silent, waiting for what was about to happen. He wouldn't rise until being told to.

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Speaking loud enough for Elevie to hear meant uttering his words loud enough for all within a hundred paces to hear. Thrandil's words brought on a strong reaction, both from the onlookers and those on the fabled bridge.

Grittain gave Thrandil a hard, penetrating stare that was unpleasant to be the recipient of. It gave the guardian a chance to recognize the speaker, while at the same time showed vast displeasure with the words being spoken.

Elevie's reaction was a bit different. Her eyes searched the crowd for the voice, and when she found it, she silently mouthed Thrandil's name. An instant later, she turned sharply away, pulling her hood back up and retreating back to the north side of the river. E'uinn held her arm for a moment, and the two whispered softly together for a few flickers before she left and carried on alone into the forest.

E'uinn nodded sadly as she left and made his way back to his place on the bridge. His eyes traveled to Thrandil as well, and suddenly Kormus was very near Thrandil. The Raidhiel whispered in Thrandil's ear.

"You play a dangerous game Thrandil Mael-Muire. You speak oaths to the dead, and swear allegiance to a cause that no longer exists. It is a quick road to oblivion."

"Be silent, until you are addressed. The Achlaroiliu was to address this gathering. You have trampled on the rights and privileges of all here by speaking out of turn. Until you have the permission, you are little more than a slave here. If you value your life, I would suggest remaining silent. I would not hesitate to spill your blood as an offering to the Mother."

The meeting fell into disorder around them. Clearly these people were not used to such interruptions, and everywhere the Adhiel were muttering among themselves and looking around at one another.

Thrandil's words were reacted to all around him. Some were trying to approach him, some were trying to get away from him. Suddenly it seemed everyone was talking and moving at once. His simple poem had thrown the gathering into chaos.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil felt unsure about what he had just done, but the stare Grittain give him was the worst he had to endure so far. He didn't however look away. Instead, he chose to stare back, show how steadfast he was. Thrandil was not here to make enemies, but to unite people. People in whose heart a single memory still lived, even though some had given that up. He had noticed both in the reactions. Some were sympathising to him, others afraid of what he said, or what he had started.

As Elevie left, Thrandil rose again, in silence. In response to Kormus' words, he just uttered one word, which some might hear, or maybe not, for he did not whisper them. "To unify" he said as his head turned towards Kormus, looking at the Raidhiel.

Thrandil turned towards the crowds, trying to resist anything Kormus would try to stop him. "Stop it! All of you. Let us listen to what will be told. We are here for a meeting whose importance exceeds that of any other words spoken here. Let's give every one a chance to speak if he or she desires. I do, but only will again, if E'uinn and Grittain will allow me to." he said and turned back to the two men in front of him.

"My apologies, E'uinn, Niall. I did not want to stir things up this much. Take my blood if you want to. Spill the blood of the Mother's son right now, if you so please, for I have not been able to fulfill my task." the adhiel said and dropped to his knees, his hands folded, hoping that they wouldn't, but understanding if they did.

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

A sharp pain...

A blinding shock...

The green world around him went red, then black, then red again, then finally a smeared green sea once more. Something was tugging at his arms and wrists. Distant shouts turned into dreadful silence.

More sharp pain in his neck and throat. Blurry figures swam and danced in his vision like disconnected souls. There was water, and the sensation of drowning. The blurred and smeared green went dark and cold around him, leaving him nothing but oblivion.

~~~

Then there was light again. It could have been a mark, a month, a yahren later. There was no sense of time, only a dull throbbing in his skull.

The light grew brighter, and things came into focus as the trunks of trees stretched out before him into a background of white lights. He was lying on his back facing the stars above. There was someone sitting near him and the smell of smoke and ash.

Running water trickled underneath him, and the world swayed and undulated beneath his back. He was in a boat.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

As Thrandil came by, he wanted to sit upright. Midway he noticed the other person and the fact that he was actually in a boat. Having no means to get away or do anything he let himself fall back again. A sigh escaped him.

"Look, whether you listen or not, I do not care." he said, remembering what had passed up to the moment he had passed away. "I... I might have gone a bit too far, but there's things one gets only one chance to do, and this was one of them. I do not ask forgiveness for my bad timing, I only want to know who you are, where were heading, and why were heading there." he continued.

After a flicker he added in a whisper mostly to himself "and I had only hoped to inspire them... the fire still lives within, it just needs to be rekindled. T'aquar shall live once again, by the powers of the gods I carry with me."

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The gruff voice of Niall Grittain settled over Thrandil like a blanket. His tone was sad and distant as if his thoughts and heart were far away on some far flung shore.

"That is very much the problem Thrandil Mael-Muire, you do not care of what you say, to whom you say it, or the pain that it inflicts. That is why you are where you are. Look about. It will answer some of your questions."

A look at the stars and tree tops further revealed that the shallow boat he was in was not moving. It was tied to a rock, the same rock Grittain was sitting on. The boat itself had been pulled into a shallow inlet, and tied down, but this place where they were was not familiar to Thrandil. It was as if they simply were traveling down the river Awyl and stopped at a calm place to disembark.

A dozen paces away, a low fire burned and a hooded figures sat huddled near it. The Raidhiel Kormus, and several others of his kind stood at attentive watch, but not infringing on the space of the person seated next to the fire. The familiar countenance of Theorn was there, smoking a long, thin pipe and conversing quietly with another of the Raidhiel. As Thrandil stirred, he nodded towards the hooded figure, and then came walking over to the boat where Thrandil lay.

"Now is the time for silence and listening Thrandil Mael-Muire. More foolish outbursts will only make things worse. There is much that has changed here. These are not the same people that you knew. Things are different now, and its very much the time for you to learn instead of to teach. Do you understand?"
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil only nodded and looked about, when Niall had finished speaking. He knew all too well what mistake he had made and also why. He was angry with himself, but also disappointed in the men surrounding him now. Theorn above all, when he saw him sitting with his pipe. It was something he now had to live with. And then to think about it that he was anticipating seeing Theorn and Derron again.

The Adhiel came walking over and Thran nodded meekly as he had finished, knowing that he was to blame for this and what else that had happened at the meeting. After a flicker's pause, the young Panling answered. "Theorn... before... before I'll be your student again, can I speak to you in private? Please. After that you'll have my full attention." Thran said, and looked hopefully up at the former Captain.

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Theorn gave Thrandil, a flat, disapproving look.

"There are no secrets among us. Speak freely."
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil dared not looking Theorn straight in the eyes now, and cast his eyes on the ground. "I have failed Theorn. I haven't been able to keep Elevie safe. All this time, I've been following the commands of a zealot who's a disgrace to the uniform he wears. Which is exactly the reason why I quit the Guard. Never would I have guessed that a person as Raevyn could create such a rift between Draydis and I." he said, looking up for a moment.

"I've done as much as I could for T'aquar while I was gone, but the rage that had built up in me took over as I saw a T'aquar that seemed to stand by while the Western Kingdom is corrupting it. I... I never meant to upset anyone, Theorn. Please, you of all should know that my heart is true. Tainted by now probably, but true nonetheless." he continued, his eyes getting watery as he realised what he had done. The meeting was a disaster... his words could've created a rift, and only because he was happy to see Elevie alive and well again... It was all for naught, and he now knew it. He'd fight for T'aquar, he'd kill for T'aquar, but would net set a foot inside it's cities unless it was asked by Pan, the Mother or Elevie, until he had atoned for the crime he committed.

"I dare not ask, Theorn, but please talk to the others. Accept my sword as yours. My life as expendable in the fight for your cause. If E'uinn and Elevie are backing it, it's definately better than what the Kingdom has planned for us." he pleaded, hoping the swordmaster would have him in the ranks of the Raidhiel.

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008
Eldan
Civus

Post by Eldan »

After Eldan had returned with the boy, they had taken a journey along the river. He hardly new anybody except those he had been on patrol with. When they stopped, he kept to himself, pulling himself up onto a nearby branch. There he pulled out his bow, knocked an arrow, and just waited, watching.

He knew Theorn, but not the Adhiel talking to him, the one he assumed was this Thrandil people kept talking about. He couldn't tell what they were saying, and wasn't going to bother trying to read their lips. He had more important things to do. Like think about the future. And watch for humans.

He constantly scanned the forest, just in case, but mostly crouched in the crook of the tree, thinking about this whole cursed situation with the humans. Parts of him wanted to just treat the humans like animals, and butcher them all, but other parts knew it was wrong. Only time would tell which prevailed...
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Theorn looked over at Elevie as Thrandil mentioned her by name, and then returned to his gaze to look over the warrior that would now not meet his eyes.

"You speak of being unable to keep Elevie safe, yet there she sits, unharmed. You speak of following Commander Draydis when he was your superior officer. You speak of quitting the guard, and yet you continue to swear oaths to the unit in which you once served."

Theorn puffed on his pipe and shifted his weight on his feet. The Adhiel warder was pragmatic to a fault, and seemed not to understand what the emotional Thrandil was trying to say. Grittain spoke next, trying to respond in a different way.

"It was not you who brought the destruction upon Taloh Tel'Amrun. It was the followers of the Eye. We fail to follow your logic Thrandil Mael-Muir. Forgive me for saying so, but you are not so important that because Taloh Tel'Amrun was destroyed, that it is your fault and that you were responsible. Rhimmuld was corrupt, not T'aquar."

Silence reigned for a moment as a break in the conversation followed Grittain's words. For a few flickers, only the gentle, lapping sound of the river could be heard.

"The home you knew is gone forever Thrandil Mael-Muir. Warder Theorn was merely asking for you to learn more of the circumstances that govern our lives now instead of the ways you once knew. Those old and familiar ways are reminders of a grim and certain reality for those who remained in T'aquar. Our old home was lost, along with many loved ones..."

He paused to swallow and master himself before he continued.

"But those fires have forged a new people Thrandil Mael-Muir. In your words at the gathering, you unknowingly were attempting to stoke fires of forge long cold, and take us back to a time of chaos instead of forward into the order we have built on the ashes of the old."

Theorn grimaced and replied as well.

"The Raidhiel is the dominion of the Achlaroiliu and not me. If you wish to join the Raidhiel, you must have their blessing."

~~~

Eldan could hear their conversation clearly. He had heard the name Draydis before, the name familiar as the commander of the old Emerald Guard, an order lost to the fires now.

There was no sign of any enemies this far north. No human had come this far in nearly a yahren.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil looked from Grittain to Theorn and back again for a brief moment. The relatively young Adhiel sighed as he fingers seemed to trace a few minor rips in his breeches. "I didn't mean to say I was important or that it's my fault T'aquar has fallen... Let me try to explain myself, please, for I would not like to have miscommunication judge you different than you would normally." he said and looked around for a moment, searching for words. "I'll break it down. First I was detailed to protect Elevie, but I lost her after bringing her back to... Taloh. It's was a sin that I paid for... Someone else did manage it though, and I think him or her for that. About the Guard... Yes, I swear oaths to that unit still, for it's values do not change, even if those who wear the uniform still have gone astray. I pledge to the Guard, not to the zealotist movement Draydis has created himself, taking the few Guardsmen left with him. That is what I was trying to say... in less words."

He then rose, his eyes showing sadness, yet also determination. "Niall, please, could you ask if the Achlaroiliu would grant me permission to talk to them?" he asked Elevie's guardian. It was obvious though, that the former lieutenant was struggling with his decision in this matter, his breathing deep, his eyes closed as he spoke the words and his lips pressed together tightly just before he asked the favor. At last, tears actually did run across his cheeks as he opened his eyes and look Grittain in the eyes.

He quickly turned to Theorn, trying not to show any more of his weakness to Niall. "Please, Theorn, teach me what you can. Not only of what these forests and our people have become, but also to be a better fighter. If you want, I might teach Raidhiel to use a staff or maybe something else I'm skilled at, so I could take some work off your hands. I'll work for any knowledge you teach me or skills you will practice with me." he said, almost pleading to be accepted by those who probably rather wanted him dead at the meeting. He patiently waited for the responses of the two men.

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Grittain looked somewhat uneasy with the emotional Thrandil. It was quiet for a few flickers before he replied.

"Failure is something we all have learned to deal with."

It was clear in the Adhiel's words that he meant all Adhiel everywhere, not just those in sight now.

"You see what I am saying young one? Your oaths and your words bring this pain back to all of us. You try to rally and cry out, and it only brings the shame and hurt back. Do you understand now?"

Instead of waiting for a reply, he stood, grunting slightly from the effort. He did not need an answer, he was certain the point and the message had now been received. He walked over to Elevie and kneeled before her, whispering something to her. It could be that he was granting Thrandil's request.

Theorn took careful stock of the former Emerald Guardsman with a cautious eye.

"I can't make any promises without knowing the wishes of the Achlaroiliu first. As I said, it is their will, not mine."

The patrol Commander looked expectantly at Eldan.

"Circle the perimeter and report back to me. The fact that we found humans nearly this far into the Wealds has me concerned that there might be more about looking for the others. Quietly now."

Niall returned, with a grave look on his face.

"Elevie will speak with you Thrandil Mael-Muire. Be warned. She is not the same girl you once knew. She carries the burdens of rulership now. Before the burning, she was merely a princess. Now she is a queen."

He gestured for Thrandil to stand and join him.

"I will be present and silent. She and I have a long history together, and we can speak in mere glances. If she wants you removed, I will do so, forcibly if necessary, and she might not even say a word. I expect you to behave, and mind your tongue."

He held an arm out, indicating now was the time.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

The Panling merely nodded at Niall's words, looking him in the eyes as the man spoke. He followed the man with his eyes, listening to Theorn, but not watching him, knowing from past experiences he was one that he could trust his life with. "I understand Theorn. At the moment, a better answer I can not get." he replied as his attention went to the Raidhiel Theorn looked at.

As Grittain came back, Thran looked hopeful at the man, and received the words he wanted to hear. Although... it wasn't exactly what he wanted to hear. As the former Guardsman joined him, he listened to the words that were spoken to him. "Yes, sir."

Thrandil approached Elevie as if it were a first time. "Milady" he said, bowing his head slightly for a moment, "I want to apologise for my outburst and want to apply to become one of the Raidhiel. I have learned much while I was gone, but I'll need to learn a lot regarding Taquar it seems. If you accept me, I'll start my training again immediately. My weapons are yours, as well as my life if that saves the lives of innocents."

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008
Eldan
Civus

Post by Eldan »

Eldan was caught listening to the conversation unaware, though Theorn had shown no indication of it. Eldan hopped down from the branch he was perched on. "It shall be," was all he replied before sneaking off into the forest.

Attempting to be as quiet and stealthy as possible, he began an very wide loop around the area, taking his time to be as thorough as possible.
They will all pay, in blood, for what they did to beloved Taloh...

Posting Availability: Just about every day, unless work prevents it.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Eldan's circle took him outward and away from the light of the fire and and plunged him into darkness. His eyes adjusted and his vision shifted slightly as he traversed the rugged terrain and scouted per Theorn's wishes.

He made little enough noise as he walked. His sharp eyes and ears picking up nothing but the sights and sounds of the woodland creatures that dwelt here. An owl hooted in a branch far above his head, a nightingale flittered away from him, a frog croaked on the river's edge.

But it was the sight of something glinting in the moonlight that demanded attention. Something shiny, reflecting on the ground a few paces ahead of him.

~~~

Niall escorted Thrandil over to Elevie.as the former Emerald Guardsman knelt near, he could hear her singing softly, her eyes downcast.

"Without mercy,
They destroyed the high places of Taloh,
In their wrath they brought down Her mighty trees,
They brought to the ground in dishonor,
Its Kingdom and its rulers,
Now weep for T'aquar,
For the enemy has prevailed.
What can I say for you,
O beloved Taloh?
For vast as the sea is your ruin,
Who can heal you?
Sorrow is multiplied,
Mourning and lamentation.
Her children sit in the ground in silence,
And have thrown dust on their heads,
They have bowed their heads to the ground,
No more do they drink wine with singing;
Strong drink is bitter to those who drink it.
The city is broken down,
The gladness of Tazlure is banished..."

Finally, she looked up at him. There was at once a flash of the girl that he once knew. Shy, demure, almost flighty. But behind those eyes dropped a veil of command and responsibility now. She looked at him knowingly, yet there was something different now. There was an old song that spoke of two old lovers, separated by time and distance for many yahren, that reunited under the stars. The desire for each other was there, but something had changed, something was different for them. Elevie had never before understood or cared for the song, but suddenly, here and now, she understood it in a completely different way. He looked different than she remembered. He smelled and walked differently than she remembered. His eyes pleaded with hers, and for the first time, she found herself not knowing how to answer.

A glance up at faithful Niall followed, and as the steadfast Grittain had warned him, something unspoken passed between Elevie and her guardian.

"Your apology is accepted, on one condition. Those things must never be spoken of again. We are a new people now, and we will not drown in the river of painful memories of our past. Your weapons are accepted as well, but also with conditions. The first of which is that my brother, who commands the Warders accept you. And second, that you forsake all other oaths. If you do not belong heart and soul to the Adhiel and to it's future, then you are of little use."

Her voice was quiet, yet commanding, and deep in the layers of it there was hurt, regret, and a wistfulness.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

The Adhiel listened intently to the song, the pain in it playing chords of their own in his heart. Thran had felt her presence invigorating, yet depressing. He saw what he wanted to be, but could never become... or rather would not be allowed to become. The eyes did not only plead, they told her the complete story what she meant to him... if she looked well enough. If she did not try to ignore the emotions in his emerald orbs.

Feeling her voice rather than hearing it, every syllable going with a shiver through his spine, he felt unsure about what to do. He didn't want to break his oath to Ulder. Not for anything in the world. On the other hand... here he had a chance to be anything for the woman he loved. Everything but the one thing he wanted to be. And his big chance to do what he came to do in T'aquar. Be there for it's people and for it's land.

The protector of these lands guarded him in the past, and he was Her son's champion after all. It felt like a duty and he was compelled to do so... yet the Swordmark didn't leave his mind. He could not just give that up. He had to make a choice however. He looked up at Elevie, then to Niall, and back to Elevie. Tears welled in his eyes as he said "I promise.".

He was damned now, and he knew it. He broke an oath, one that he held dear. "Forgive me, Mother. Forgive me, Pan. I have sinned." he spoke to himself, and the Gods.

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008
Eldan
Civus

Post by Eldan »

Eldan stopped immediately when he spotted the shiny object. His bow still out, an arrow knocked, he looked around cautiously before approaching the object, very slowly, attempting to stay quiet and in the shadows. Wary of a trap, he alternated between glancing at the object and scanning his surroundings.

Be a wet rock. Just be a wet rock, he thought as he crept closer, and closer...

Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

It was no wet rock.

It was a hunk of metal, mostly buried in the mud, one point still sticking up. As Eldan focused on it, it became clear what it was.

It was the torn remnants of a breastplate. There was no body or remains it covered, it was stuck all alone, and someone had taken the time to attempt to bury it. The earth all around had been churned up, but no tracks could be found. At least not until one got a few paces on the other side of it, and in that loamy mud Eldan found something else that would make most Adhiel blood curl.

The wide toed, clearly defined footprint of an Orc.

~~~

A crystalline tear fell from Elevie's eye and it hovered on her high cheekbone for a moment before it fell to the bare earth beneath her. If she heard his prayer, she made no mention of it, and did not react to it.

"Seek E'uinn's blessing then, for you have mine." Her voice cracked and broke from the emotion she was barely keeping at bay.

A hand could be felt on Thrandil's shoulder. A firm squeeze from Grittain.

"Come then Thrandil Mael-Muire. The Achlaroiliu has spoken. It is time for her to weep for those who have been lost, and that which can never be forgotten."

The soft voice of Elevie carried throughout the camp as she broke into her sad dirge once more.

"Hearken ye, sons and daughters of T'aquar,
For today, our beloved city Taloh was burned,
Wherever the wind scattered you,
You lost sons and daughter of T'aquar,
Scatter ashes upon your head,
Turn your face towards Taloh,
And bewail the fate,
The fate of the holiest place on Tazlure,
And cry out to the heavens,
Cry out the destruction,
The destruction of our Beloved Taloh:"

"Our Holy Temple,
Which was our glory,
In which our forefathers praised the Mother
Was burned and all of our delights were destroyed.
Her gates are sunk into the ground;
They have destroyed and broken her bars:
She that was once,
The greatest beauty of Tazlure.
Who is there to comfort us,
Sons and daughters of T'aquar?
Is it nothing to you?
All you who pass by?
Look if there is any sorrow,
Like the sorrow of T'aquar?
We have gone into mourning,
And find only sadness in Tazlure.
All her people groan,
Her gates are desolate,
The roads to Taloh mourn."
Eldan
Civus

Post by Eldan »

Of course it's not a rock, that would be too convenient, thought Eldan as he looked around, looking for sources of it's origin. And then he saw it, clear as day. An orc footprint in the mud. Instantly he drew back his bowstring, kneeling down and twisting around, looking again to see if he could spot any orcs laying in wait to tear him to pieces.

Orcs. Humans is one thing, but orcs! I must warn Theorn. He let up on the bowstring and turned to run back to the camp, putting up his bow and the single arrow as he ran, and drawing his knife instead. He had to avoid stopping for any reason, he could not afford to fall without warning the rest of the Adhiel.

And so he ran...

Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil saw the tear fall from her face. He nodded as gave him her blessing. If only he could hold her now... Yet he knew that emotion was not because of him, or rather, he liked to think so. Instead, a finger went for the dirt that had taken in the tear. He drew it downward from his own eye, a silent, dry tear, lingering, as did the memories he had of the people and the lands of T'aquar.

"It is not only she that weeps, Grittain. It is the lands too. I can feel it." he said, professing a white lie here. Whilst he the Mother did favor him in the past, he could not sense the emotions of the lands, but it was a good guess he thought.

He followed Etain humbly as he was led towards E'uinn.
Last edited by Thrandil on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Niall's hand was firm on Thrandil's shoulder until they were a safe distance away from Elevie. Clearly the gruff elder Adhiel was not entirely trusting of the former Emerald Guardsman.

In short order, Thrandil's weapons and belongings were brought to him and he was left to stand free and unhindered among the others. For those that knew him, or knew of him, this was comfortable and easy to accept. For those who did not, many looked warily at him in sideways glances.

~~~

Eldan ran.

While he was stalking about in the woods, he was a shifty, silent shadow. Now he had abandoned that, and as he moved through the forest with great urgency, he made nearly as much noise as one unskilled in the terrain.

~~~

Mer'ghul and Miz'ghul were twins from the Pri’Thrug clan. Their war band, called the "Fists of Garshnak" with upraised fists painted in blood on their Kradak shields, and many with awful, crude hands and fists tattooed on their bodies and faces crouched in the hated forest behind them.

The brothers looked balefully at each other as an Adhiel suddenly could be seen sprinting to the west and away from them.

"Kill him!" Mer'ghul screamed in the rough, guttural tongue of the Thugri. At once the war band sprang in unison in a rush.

~~~

Eldan could feel things striking the trees around him. An awful, hissing noise could be heard, and a triangular metal object thunked into a tree near him. An Orcish shout could be heard, and Eldan's keen eyes could see dozens of hulking shapes moving through the forests in a blind rush.

~~~

Far off in the distance, the sound of a Orcish horn blew, shattering the stillness of the night. Elevie looked up in a panic and Theorn and Kormus shared a knowing look. The Adhiel launched into action. Niall was instantly at Elevie's side, and ushering her into the boats.

The awful horn blew again, its sonorous tone stamped terror and doom upon the night.

Edited to reflect usage of existing content with the Orcs

OOC: This thread is now impassible. Good luck!
Last edited by Vanadius on Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Terra West”