Discussing a dark soul - Annuir - Jyg 30 TT (Traj & Crag

Moderators: Vanadius, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Trajan Constantine Aeneas
Civus

Post by Trajan Constantine Aeneas »

Trajan was stunned by the things Seth said. Certainly none of the information about Laewin was new. That she was evil they knew, that she had killed many people they knew, that she was duplicitous they knew. That she and Falven were, point of fact, the same entity and not twain was new however, and Trajan wondered what advantage that might present to he and Craghley when they faced her. That Blackbird, whom the former legionnaire still associated with the little girl in the field from his vision, was some sort of guardian spirit of Pax, or Selderine or whatever has news he welcomed and a small smile tugged at the sides of his lips as he remembered her.

And that brought him back to the present. This man, whom Craghley had brought them too for advice on their problem, seemed as, if not more, uncertain of himself as Trajan and Craghley were. What good was that doing them? But he had had so many answers to previously unanswered questions, and there was a certain... otherness to him which spoke oddly to Trajans sense of Blackbird and Laewin. Maybe this man really had come back from this lost City. And maybe the city really was coming back, would come back, if only he and the Islay clansman could slay the beast known as Laewin.

The Islayers question, ‘must we find this weapon for ye?” confused Trajan greatly. Craghleys diction was at times hard to translate, to comprehend, but that sentence was beyond him entirely. However...

“In troth my friend, I do not, as you put it, ken your question. I have a weapon.” Trajan took hold of the handle of his sword, for he no longer thought of it as the ghost-legionnaires sword, it was his, by possession and practice and use, and drew it in one smooth motion that made the blade ring like a struck bell. As always, a sense of righteousness, of rectitude flowed down his arm and suffused his entire body. Trajan Aeneas felt as if he could achieve any ends when he held the sword. His eyes roamed over the weapon from pommel to tip as it caught the sunlight and glinted, hard and sharp in it. Letting his grip slack the blade tipped backward slowly and fell past Trajans arm and head, whistling as it cut the air, to come to a rest inverted from where it had been, point toward the ground, as he closed his grip over it once more.

“It was given to me by a man Laewin killed, along with the geas to see her evil ended upon it’s blade.” He paused and set the tip upon the deck where they sat. “I’ve had it for three months now, and nightly I pray to it, and meditate over it, trying to ascertain what is so special about it, for it is undoubtedly that, but I’ve not come up with anything. Though,” he added as an afterthought, offering the weapon to Seth for inspection, even as he wondered why he should do such a thing, “Blackbird thinks it’ll do the job.” The large man locked eyes with the smaller innkeeper. “What do you think good master? You seem to be familiar with our quarry.”
Last edited by Trajan Constantine Aeneas on Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

Well hidden beneath the cover of his new robe, Dray walked into the Annuir tavern. While waiting on his new uniform to be produced, he wanted to find Craghley. It had been three months since he last saw his friend, and wanted to catch up on what had been happening in Pax.

Dray knew that Craghley frequented the taverns, and being that it was around a meal time, it was a safe bet that Craghley would be in one. The adhiel commander had visited several before he finally found Craghley. There were two other men present, so Draydis decided to simply make his presence known and then headed for a table by himself.

As he walked by Craghley, he placed a gentle but firm hand on the man's shoulder. If Craghley would look quickly, he would notice immediately the gold ring of the Guard on the robed man's smallest finger. It was an odd place to wear it, but it was worn over a glove, so perhaps that was the reason. Of course, Craghley could not see anything of the man who wore it, as he was covered from head to toe.

Craghely did think for a slight instant he saw a pair of yellow eyes from inside the hood...but it might have only been his imagination getting carried away...

Once Craghley looked at his hand, the robed stranger passed on by and found a table by himself. It would have been rude to do otherwise. He hoped that it was clear that he wanted to speak with Craghley about something, but that it could wait until he was done with his present conversation...
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

"Yon fellow already has the weapon,” said Seth, with a solemn chuckle lifting his eyes to Trajan. “The sword he carries can harm her if wielded right.” He watched intently as the former legionnaire wielded the sword and then offered it up for inspection.

Gingerly lifting one hand, the one-legged man felt the blade. “Still feels as if it has power,” he muttered uncertainly. “But I ain’t no mage. Seem to ‘member that the bearer needs to forge some sort of connection with it; almost alive it is. ‘ow you does that I ain’t a clue. Best seek out that drunken mage Baltimus if yer want more help. ‘appen he might also know of somethin’ that might protect yer from her. Yer’ll need it that’s fer sure.”

As the conversation proceeded, a robed figure mounted the verandah placed a hand on Craghley’s shoulder and then proceeded into the tavern. Within he would find no-one present other than the young boy behind the bar.

(OOC: Dray – the others are sitting outside the tavern on the verandah)
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Guido wrote:"Best seek out that drunken mage Baltimus if yer want more help. ‘appen he might also know of somethin’ that might protect yer from her. Yer’ll need it that’s fer sure."

So they would be paying the halfling a visit. Truly, it would likely prove one of the brighter points of the day as Baltimus' company never failed to entertain in one way or another. And after that - they would see. Craghley knew of the danger, and did not want to involve more people than was necessary. As Seth was concluding that particular conversation it showed his willingness to tackle the subject was at an end.

"I guess we should pay the auld beer trap of a halfling a visit, then," Craghley said. "Master Seth, we are indebted tae ye. Fer a start, I hae a book on Islay lore I can bring round tomorrow if ye wish-"

Craghley was cut off by the gloved hand on his shoulder - he had time just to see the ring of the Guard which froze him in his seat. Shooting a look up towards the fellow's face was a move coming a little too late; all Craghley saw was the hood turning away as the stranger went inside. Then Craghley shook his head off and resumed.

"- I understand ye've a fondness fer books, master Seth. Scuse me," he said - this time to both of them. "I'll be just a few burns, if that's a'right with ye. I assure ye master Aeneas, I will no be long."

Craghley was somewhat shocked, enough that he finished up by rote while his conscious mind was tripping over itself. He hoped to follow the cloaked figure that wished for an audience... and a private one at that. He had a strong suspicion - no, it was a hope - of who it was, but there was no way to be sure at the moment.

OOC: probably continue Craghley's conversation with Dray here, and make a new thread for the meeting with Baltimus (now with Draydis)?
Civus

Though Trajan had been half expecting Seth to verify his weapon as a viable option against Laewin, whatever she actually was, he was dismayed to learn that he would need to, in the cripple man’s words, “need to forge some sort of link with it”. The knowledge that the sword was nearly if not completely alive was unsettling as well, but not near as much as the revelation that he had to in the span of very few marks to discern the weapons nature and to forge whatever links were necessary before he could combat Laewin.

Apparently while Trajan had been showing off for Seth, something else had happened to draw Craghleys attention, and although the young human felt keenly the passing of each flicker, he knew that trying to stop the clansman from doing whatever it was he felt he needed to do would only distract the man, and possibly damage their fragile alliance so that he would have to face Laewin alone, a prospect that he found he relished less than he thought he would the more he learned about her. He had felt much more confident in his ability to handle her before the revelation that he had erred in giving the creature his name and that the sword, though powerful, was not as fully in his control as he would have thought, despite the long months he had poured into training with the weapon. Ignorance really was, as the proverb ran, bliss.

After Craghley had excused himself, Trajan stood and re-sheathed the sword. He had still much to learn about it, but he had to wonder what a “beer trap of a halfling” as the islayer had quaintly described this Baltimus, could tell him about the blade that his own months of prayers and meditations had refused to uncover. What secrets did the blade yet keep from him? What did he need to do yet as the marks of the day dwindled and night began to spread it’s long, chill fingers across the land? Trajan shook his head shortly to draw himself from his revelry and he directed his eyes to the man who sat before him..

“We are in your debt Master Seth.” He said. “If we return from what we intend this night, I will buy you one of those drinks you favor.” Trajan considered that promise for a moment, then dug into his belt pouch to retrieve the circlet he knew the drink to cost. “On second thought, have it anyway, and I’ll buy you another if I get back. How’s that grandfather?” Trajan used the familiar address he had always used when addressing elders, even those not of his family, and Seth was surely, if he came from this long lost city that is, older than any other elder the suddenly very young and insignificant feeling human ever knew.

He turned from Seth then and stepped off the Annuir veranda, leaning against a railing to wait for Craghley, he let his mind wander. “Lost cities. Citizens of that city, who should be dead returned to life. Or returned from that city to this. Creatures of ancient evil threatening both.” Trajan shook his head ruefully and looked up into the failing light of the day. “Trajan my lad,” He thought of his fathers familiar voice when he recited that mans favorite castigation, “what have you gotten yourself into now?”

ooc: I have no preferences whether this Trajan and Craghleys story continues here or in another thread, neither whether Draydis becomes involved. The more the merrier, and the fewer opportunites Laewin would have to single anyone out to kill him. We're getting closer!
Last edited by Trajan Constantine Aeneas on Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray was happy to find the tavern empty except for the boy. It would allow for the privacy that was greatly needed. He ordered two ales and took a seat in the corner furthest away from the boy and the door.

He paid the boy when the ales were delivered, and began to slowly drink from his mug. The other was left at the seat across from him, as if anticipating another arrival...

DMD Member since 2005
Guido Cercatoro

Seth brightened at Craghley’s promise of a book. “That’d be grand. I can always find time for a new book.”

Craghley made his excuses and followed the cloaked man into the tavern. Inside, the strange inn was exactly as it was before apart from the presence of the new arrival who was seated in a gloomy rear corner of the room, with two ales perched on the table in front of him.

“If yer defeat Laewin, it’ll be me that buy’s yer a drink,” muttered Seth to Trajan. “And the whole town will owe you more than a drink.” He frowned for a few flickers and then dug out an object from a pocket, handing it to the former legionnaire. In the strange man’s hand was a small, crumpled bunch of twigs dotted with a few crushed purple flowers.

“Wear ‘em. Always brought me luck,” Seth explained with a chuckle.

(OOC: yes create another thread to meet the mage - Baltimus can usually be found in the gate tavern, although he has been drinking since morningtide!)
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

With a final nod, Craghley ducked inside. Given the stranger's choice of seating, it took a couple of flickers for Craghley's sweeping gaze across the tavern to fall upon the figure. Then he noticed the ales, which cheered him a little. His weathered boots made little thudding noises on his way over to the corner, reminding Craghley that his clothes were the same as what he had brought with him from Islay. He may need to find a tailor and cobbler, more for the sake of fresh clothes than any immediate concern of wear and tear. With a shake of his head, the Islay lad dismissed these thoughts for new ones on the person before him.

Craghley softly drew a chair facing the cloaked person and sat. Still a little unsure of the situation, he chose not to touch the ale. A flicker passed before he spoke.

"Greetings - I noticed ye wish fer me company. Question is, dae I hae the pleasure o meeting a new Gairdsman, or be we auld friends?"
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

From beneath the shadows of his hood, Draydis smiled. "Your ale is safe, my friend."

The voice was one that Craghley would recognize, but it was somehow different...as if the mouth of the speaker was injured or obstructed partially.

"As for your question, Craghley, yes, I would say we are old friends. I apologize for my secrecy, but my appearance dictates me to dress as this for now. It's been an interesting time since we last spoke."

The guardsman leaned back in his chair slightly and looked at Craghley. From beneath the hood, Craghley thought he momentarily saw a pair of yellow eyes...

It was good to see his friend again. There was much to talk about.

DMD Member since 2005
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

"General. It is good tae see ye." Craghley grew a smile which opened wide enough to allow a brief passage of ale. Putting the mug back down on the table he leant forward over steepled fingers. His next words were well-formed and thus uncharacteristically void of much of his accent.

"You disappeared without message or warning, leaving the Leafs with no real leadership or direction. You were gone for two months without contact, when evil spirits roam the land and people fell like flies on the Day of Darkness. And now you've returned you cannot show your face?"

His last few words were hurried - Craghley gripped the edge of the table hard enough to whiten his knuckles and ducked his head momentarily, having felt the rising signs of his condition. Quickly he calmed himself and the illness abated enough for him to raise his head back to face the hood. Yet Craghley still smiled and the old brogue returned.

"Tae be sure, I reckon ye've decent enough reasons for all o that. Uh - sir. Now if it pleases ye - where in the blazes hae ye been? Ye sound... odd. Wha's happened tae ye?"
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray listened carefully to every word spoken by Craghley. He observed his friend's body language as well. "My friend, you have good reason to be angry at my unannounced absence. I apologize for all harm that came from it. But..."

The yellow from beneath the hood flashed again momentarily as Dray's eyes looked about the room as if searching for the proper words. Craghley could still only see the momentary yellow glow. The volume of his words lowered considerably, almost to the point where Craghley would have to strain his ears to hear him speak.

"...remember the Hunter? Remember how I ate part of his heart and prayed for the Mother to grant me the ability of the hunt?"

He paused for a moment, and all that could be heard was a slow breath from Draydis. "I have become a hunter in my own form. I had to seek the solitude of the wilderness during my change, for the Mother required it. I beg your forgiveness for my lack of notice, but it struck me suddenly the day you last saw me when I went out to the woods to scout."

He lowered his head for a moment, for he truly did feel bad about leaving his friends without knowing what had happened to him.

"If we were in private, I would have no hesitation in speaking to you in a way that you could see my face, but I fear that the public would consider me evil and seek my death simply for my appearance."

Draydis looked casually over at the boy to make sure he was preoccupied with something other than their conversation. When he was, the adhiel warrior pulled one of his gloves off just enough for Craghley to see the striped fur that was present. "You are the only one that I trust, so you are the only one that will ever know about this." It was exposed for only a flicker before the glove was back in place.

He hoped that Craghley would appreciate the trust that Draydis had placed in him, and hoped more that Craghley would understand the need to keep his appearance in complete secret.

"I am having a new uniform made to cover my features." He smiled, though that expression was hidden from his friend. "I was thinking of a new uniform for all Guard members...something more imposing, that would also aid us more in battle. I could use your help with its design."

Dray then sat back in his chair and waited for the response. He was not entirely sure how Craghley would react.
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Draydis wrote:"...remember the Hunter? Remember how I ate part of his heart and prayed for the Mother to grant me the ability of the hunt?"

"Well... aye. My memory tis no lacking fer that day."

Craghley thought he had imagined the luminous yellow caught in glimpses from under Draydis' hood, until he was looking straight into its' recesses and saw once more, a flash of amber. That forbidding feeling of apprehension was rising once again in the face of his acquaintances' veil of secrecy over something Craghley could not yet comprehend.

"Yer apology is accepted, sir-"

Any words which were to follow died abruptly at sight of Draydis' exposed finger. Craghley did not make a sound or movement for a short while, staring blankly at the gloved hand. Then he blinked, took his mug once more and had another sip.
Craghley was still not sure he could trust this person. His own scepticism surprised even himself, and the lad realised that if this man was truly Draydis, this would be a taste of the prejudices the Adhiel feared to face. Well, Craghley would put his faith into the man. It would be up to the rest of the conversation to clinch his belief that this was Draydis... but it felt pretty much right to him. Of course it was hard without being able to see his facial expressions, but then again - if the change was comprehensive, maybe it would be harder if he could see his face...

"Then ye've been blessed by the Mother. And I'm honoured tae be the ane tae 'ave seen it."

Draydis wrote:"I am having a new uniform made to cover my features." He smiled, though that expression was hidden from his friend. "I was thinking of a new uniform for all Guard members...something more imposing, that would also aid us more in battle. I could use your help with its design."

Craghley leaned back into his chair to consider this. One thing that Craghley had forgotten was how much of a warrior the general was.

"Well - sir - 'twould be grand, aye, tae get an improvement... thing is... us Leafs, we're no just fighters. Aye, we've fought fer Pax and ye'd be proud o wha the Gaird hae done but since that time, the lads hae made their place here through work. Us Emerald Gaird, I ken warriors isna all we be and it might hurt us fer the people tae see us as only that. They might ferget we help heal 'em, supply their meat, and haul their loads if they need help."

"But granted - a new uniform will be good. I'm no one tae design it, sir! But... well, there's basics tae follow. No showy loose cloth lest we be caught on it in battle. Tabbards tae fit o'er armour should we hae some. Green and brown colours, p'raps - camouflage. Less... ye want tae be able tae turn the garb inside out tae show different colours - distinct hues fer show and open battlefield, sly colours on the other side fer stealth. Might be a bit much that... So much fer basics, aye? But I ken having a single uniform fer all Gaird will indicate strength - strength in battle, and off of it."
Last edited by Craghley on Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray nodded from beneath his hood.

"The Mother truly has given me a blessing. I regret that those of the world would not readily be able to see it that way. She has improved my senses, my strength, my speed. Perhaps with time and by helping others to find their way to Her path, I can gain the trust of people. I will strive to not become a solitary creature of the woods like the Hunter."

The last of his words trailed off as his thoughts went to other things.

"It is good that you have found other ways to help people, and I appreciate the balance you bring to the Guard...and to myself. But...I fear a deadly fight now comes to this place..."

He paused for a moment, thinking again of the warning he had been given.

"...tonight there comes something...a wolf of the dark. I was given a warning by one of the Mother's forest creatures...a stag. It told me that tonight brings danger. There is a creature of the night that seeks this place for some reason. I intend to fight it...to end its life. But I know I need help. I do not want to place you or the others in the line of danger, so everybody is free to tell me that they do not want to fight."

He adjusted himself in his seat and leaned forward again.

"The Mother is still not able to come to this place with all of Her power. There is something keeping Her from here. She called me to travel deep into the woods to feel Her presence during my change, but even there, something in the very land itself tried to keep Her away. She placed it as my charge to find the problem...and I have a bit of a plan. Perhaps the creature that comes tonight is that problem, but I sense that it is something more. My thought is to find the place in this land where the Mother's power is at the weakest...for that is where the enemy's power is logically the strongest. We have a chance to truly make a difference for the people here...to demonstrate the purpose of the Guard...to restore people to faith, to protect the innocent, to guard against evil and oppression, and to bring justice to the lands."

He smiled at Craghley's words about the uniform. "I like your idea about having two sides to the tabard. It shows that our men are versatile." He was glad to be in the company of Craghley again.

He thought about the leafs title. "As for the title of leafs...could we come up with something new? I want everybody to be equal...we each have our own unique abilities, and accordingly, we all bring something of value to the Guard. As such, we are all equally entitled to lead in our own way. The Guard needs to change, and I think with you and the help of the others, we can become stronger and better able to execute our duty. Maybe that is how we can design our uniforms...we could have the same basic design and colors, but allow each individual to make their uniform suited for their particular tastes and abilities."
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Now, this was too much. Craghley slapped the table hard enough to make the mugs jump and leave a stinging sensation in his hand, but that was nothing compared to the outrage of laughter he emitted.

"Seems ye've come just in time sir!" he said, calming down. "The beastie is called Falven and is part of an evil spirit also kenned as Laewin, which I told ye of afore ye left. Me friend outside hae the only known weapon that can harm her, and we hunt her tonight. The Mother kens much indeed."

That Draydis had been visited by the vision of a young stag interested Craghley... could it have been the same creature that had appeared in his own vision on that hunt with Vernon? It made him consider Draydis' idea to have an individual design for the Leafs based on their style, for he felt more like the stag than the wolf each passing day. But...

"This talk o uniform can wait, sir, just as our ally Trajan is doing outside. We've much work tae be done afore we hunt this vile beast. And later, we can work up tae the greater problem. I've an idea or twa on where tae look..."
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis nodded. "I do remember, if it's one in the same then that is the same wolf that I went searching for on the day I left."

He was interested to learn about this weapon that their ally carried. "Have you fought with this Trajan before? Is he faithful to the Mother? I know the Mother is here with us, and I can ask her to bless the weapons that all of us carry. I know not the abilities of the wolf, but I do know the power of the Mother...and there is nothing that can stop Her power."

He thought back to the day when the demoness had appeared in the capital city of Taquar. She was only a ghost of an image, but Dray had called upon the Mother's power to bless his arrow. At the shock of the demoness, the arrow struck her and caused her pain. It was then that Dray knew without question that the Mother's power was unstoppable.

A few flickers went by as Dray thought back on that day. He finally spoke again.

"Come, please introduce me to your friend. We have much to prepare and plan."

With a swift graceful move, Draydis was on his feet with his bundle of furs in his hand. He set the bundle on the table and unrolled it. Contained within was his bow and bladed staff. The bow was placed over a shoulder, and the staff was held in his hands.

The commander looked at the boy behind the bar. "Son, I trapped these animals in the woods near here. Take them to the market and sell them. Use that coin to help those that cannot afford a meal. Tell them that the Mother has provided for them."

He then looked back at Craghley. "I'm ready."

DMD Member since 2005
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Dradis wrote:"The commander looked at the boy behind the bar. "Son, I trapped these animals in the woods near here. Take them to the market and sell them. Use that coin to help those that cannot afford a meal. Tell them that the Mother has provided for them."

Craghley was a little surprised that the general would entrust a sullen stranger to this task than his own men. Not that he said anything about it, merely took a long draught of ale and made to leave. This was certainly Draydis if he was still showing off some oddities.

"Aye, the Mother is here yet an' I've faith we shall do her will tonight. Here, I think ye'll take a shine tae this fellow - much more level-headed man than I..."

Craghley accompanied his master back outside of Annuir.

OOC: Fin?
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

ooc: I'm all done if everybody else is.

DMD Member since 2005
Civus

Trajan grinned when Seth dug a favor out of his pocket and offered it to him. The man’s commandment to wear it, in the name of luck was quaint. Trajan however saw no harm in humoring the man, maybe there was some luck to be had from the dispirited bunch of flowers.

“Thank you grandfather.” He said quietly as he took the favor. “I shall wear it prominently when we face Laewin, and mark it with her blood when the dead is done.” He then moved off the porch to wait for Craghley’s return. Trajan spent some time considering the favor, trying to come up with a way to wear it, maybe as a pendent…

OOC: Fin
Guido Cercatoro

Locked for skilling
Morg

Post by Morg »

Skilled and summarised by Petros as part of the Modding Seminar. :)

Trajan
Conversation +*
New Skill: Knowledge [Selderine] (Basic)
New Skill: Etiquette (Basic)

Craghley
Knowledge [Selderine] +*
New Skill: Oral History Selderine (basic)

Draydis
Disguise +*
New Skill: Theology (Basic)
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Return to “The Baron Estates Archives”