High Hopes in the Waterworks, Jygust 30th Morning-Tide OPEN

Moderator: Mods

Frank
Civus

High Hopes in the Waterworks, Jygust 30th Morning-Tide OPEN

Post by Frank »

Frank was walking through the shipyard with a silly grin on his face. This was the day he was going to have his first project reviewed by none other than Master Navirez (or at least he hoped; with all of the work the shipyard took to run, his chances of speaking one on one with the master were unlikely, but he had the highest of hopes). He hoped that as a Half-Giant, he'd have a common ground with the orc, considering they are both very intimidating outlanders. He had never met Master Navirez, so he assumed that as an orc, he'd be very large like him. He didn't know that the orc was actually short.

A dense forest of masts is the first signal that something is up. Masts of different woods, sizes and diameters, sporting the flags of the known countries of Tazlure, announce the site of the Waterworks Yard. They reach out above the granaries and warehouses cramming the docks and thus grace the port-area with grandeur uncommon to the skyline of an average harbour. A heavy oak gate bars the path of any people searching for the roots of those tall poles. Beside it there is a small but sturdy cabin housing three beefy guards. Passage is only granted to those capable of handing over a written permission from a trusted supplier or from an employee of the shipyard itself.

Inside the well-guarded gate the atmosphere is dominated by a hive of activity. Shipbuilding is divided into clearly defined segments. Although ship parts seem to dot the complete area at random the opposite is true. Every single piece of building material is at its rightful place and being prepared for further processing. Workmen of all ages, races and trades work together in a united camaraderie. They shine with a pride born from the knowledge that a ship from their workshop, when completed, will be recognized and honoured as one of the best vessels braving the high seas.

In the middle of all the hustle and bustle a building emerges between the squat, low, slate roofed workshops. This, the only stone build structure on the premises, houses the office of the owner of the Waterworks. The ground floor is used as a design studio. Here ideas bloom and models are built to test them. Littering almost every surface available are prototypes of almost every ship commissioned in the yard. Some new, more advanced vessels can also be spotted, providing you know your goat from your sheep within the shipbuilding trade. During the ascent of the stairs, propped in the far corner of the building, another room reveals itself. Taking up the whole of the second floor and filled with files and documents is the Waterworks’ archive. This dusty space contains the written briefs and contracts of the ever growing clientele.

Reaching the top of the creaky staircase one is presented with a room clearly in strife with itself. Signs of lowly savagery and elements of highest sophistication battle for attention in this the office of the yardmaster. Fierce and dangerous weapons line one wall while dotted around the room fine sculptures and detailed drawings can be spotted. The room expresses the roots and drives of an interesting personality.

The improbable owner of all this is an Orc. Well, not your average Orc, no, a vertically challenged one at that. However, his vision and shipbuilding skills make up for the slight deficiency with ease. Master Navirez is the proud mind that created this, one of the largest shipyards on Tazlure. Accustomed to working alongside humans and other races, this 2.4 paces tall former member of the Targri-orcs has covered his fierce personality with a thin layer of civility. He finds this makes his dealings with non-orcs less stressful and sometimes even enjoyable. The moment he came to this new insight his enterprise started to bloom as none before. Now some ten years down the line his knowledge and vision is beyond doubt and everyone keeps wondering about his next revelation.

Retrieved from "http://www.wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Waterworks_Yards"

Frank had been constructing a row-boat to show he had what it takes to work in the Waterworks Yard. He had a lot of help with it, and he didn't really have much to do with the actual design, but he was told that if he could put the pieces together in ten days with an experienced engineer supervising him, he might get a job as a trainee building ships. The reason he was considered wasn't because of his skill; he was a complete novice in the trade. Rather, he was a desirable worker because he could work quickly. He could carry massive loads on his shoulders, and he could hammer a nail in one swing, all due to his massive size. Because of his natural constitution he didn't tire easily.

His supervisor was going to show his construction to the next up in command, who would evaluate the work, and decide whether or not the boat was good enough. I'm just glad that I had someone telling me where to put what. I hope I wasn't too rough with my hammer. I hope that I did good enough... Wait, is it fair to require new students to already know what they're doing? Does that even make sense? Frank's head started to hurt, so he shook off the thought and slapped his oblivious grin back on his face, with his eyebrows furrowed. He often confused himself when he got excited.

Frank was already working for a few engineers in the shipyard, but only as a grunt. This is my chance to actually be taught the ways of building, and maybe I'll even get to sail. As he was walking toward the stone office, he was oblivious to everyone working around him. He was considered very cautiously as a worker, because he was known for getting rowdy now and then. He wasn't a trouble-maker, but when he was asked to fetch something, occasionally he'd hurl himself over the side of the ship instead of climbing down the rope ladders. His enthusiasm for his work irritated his superiors, because he always saw his job as a challenge to work as fast as possible. Perhaps if he was really fast, he'd get special consideration as a student of the trade.

He approached the stone office. I'd better make sure I look nice! He ran his fingers through his hair and parted it, and when he was done it fell back into the same exact position it was orignally in. He knocked on the door with the blunt end of his fist as opposed to his knuckles, so he shook the door loudly as he knocked. Now I just wait.
Last edited by Frank on Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Haikan
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Haikan »

If Frank was listening, he would hear the shuffling of papers when he knocked on the door. From inside he could hear a deep, gruff but muffled voice. “Aye, who be there?” A chair scraped against the floor and a pair of feet could be heard approaching the door. The door opened wide and a massive, bald man was standing right in front of Frank. The man was looking down- as he always did to fellow shipyard employees- but he found himself looking at the knees of a hulk much bigger than he. Still, he was rippled with muscles and about six feet and four inches tall. A bushy handlebar moustache draped over his mouth, and an unlit pipe was in his hand. He raised an eyebrow at his guest.

“What do you be needing, kid?” He managed to speak in a quite rude and patronizing tone, despite the stature difference between the two of them. Out of the room poured a musty smell that was indicative of a decent amount of mold. Past the moustachio man, Frank would be able to see a chair that is pulled up to the wrong side of a desk, and a mess of papers scattered about on the desk, and some even on the floor. What was more interesting, was the great number of model ships that were completely filling the room. There were several shelves of these minature ships, and towards the back and right walls there were many that were on the floor. The desk also had several models on it, but the entire left half of the room was concealed by the man, and the door.
Frank
Civus

Post by Frank »

Upon hearing someone get up to answer the door, Frank ran his fingers through his hair again to make it look nice, and then it immediately returned to its unkempt mess. He fixed his posture and stood up straight.

After the man opened the door (apparently surprised by Frank's stature), he swallowed his anticipation and broke his grin long enough for his heart rate to return to normal and for words to leave his lips. He tried to sound as serious as he could, like a naval private addressing his sergeant. Any rude behavior imposed by the man was completely ignored. Frank was too oblivious to feel hurt over the uncaring words of a superior right now.

"I have completed my frame three days early and I am requesting inspection. The oars have not yet been installed, but the boat is water-sealed appropriately." Frank was well-versed considering his dopey appearance. He looked normal when he was serious, but he had a strangely goofy vibe when he was excited (in spite of his enormous size). Occasionally he paused before using words with four or more syllables, because his excitement blocked his clear-mindedness resulting in slighted concentration. For this reason, he was perceivably dumber when he was excited than when he was serious.

He awaited response with white knuckles. Hope they give me a thorough review instead of skeptically dismissing it upon seeing a flaw. I've heard that the first attempts are rarely taken seriously. That might seriously hinder my chances at getting promoted. I'm sure they'll take me serious, I completed the task in seven days, granted I haven't been sleeping much. I can sleep after I've been promoted! I'm sure it's a worthy trade!

After his thoughts subsided he looked down to make eye contact, awaiting his answer attentively.
Last edited by Frank on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Now look here, you goof! I don't have time to be worryin' about yer little dinghy inspection!" The man raised his voice and looked quite angry at this point. "I got work to be doin' and I need an ale 'cause me head is split! We don't have any need for a knuckledragger like you so I suggest you scram befo-"

"Hey now, no need to lose your temper, James." A somewhat loud but whimsical voice projected from behind him. James cursed under his breath, and he stood to the side of the door. "You must be Frank. My name is Navirez, and I am indeed the owner of the shipyard."

What lay in front of Frank now, was an orc indeed. However this man was not the giant that he expected- in fact he was about waist-high to Frank. He wore an enormous grin, he seemed to be in a good mood. "Actually Frank, your supervisor has already told me a great deal about you, and I think we have a job that is perfectly suited for a you- the inspection of your craft can wait until trade-tide. Have you a burn to spare?" He stepped backwards, towards his now visible desk, and he held his arm toward the chair that sat on the opposite side of it. He was gesturing for Frank to have a seat.
Last edited by Haikan on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Frank
Civus

Post by Frank »

Frank's smile dissolved and he almost swallowed his tongue when he was confronted with Navirez. He turned when he heard him say his name, but there was nothing in front of him until he looked down. Wow, he's really short! He's definitely got what it takes though, he still looks pretty tough! Frank had never met Navirez before, but he heard about James, so he didn't let the words discourage him. Regardless of what he said... to be not only accepted but acknowledged by the Orc that ran the show was truly an honor!

"Any time I have is yours to allot however you choose, sir." Frank decided to let the sobering height of the Orc push his mood into a more serious one. It was good that he had that surprise, because he was getting too comfortable. "What will you have me do?" Frank asked politely. He looked around the room and began to wonder if Navirez was inviting him in or sending him off. He could want me to sit down, or he could just have a mission objective or shopping list on his desk. I wonder if he's going to personally interview me! If the owner of the shipyard, Navirez himself notices me, I must have good odds! After a brief pause it was clear that he intended for Frank to sit, so he ducked his head and walked through the door, planting his seat in the seat. His size becomes almost more apparent when he's sitting, because his knees are sharply bent and rise above the chair in order for his long shins to reach the ground.
Last edited by Frank on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Well then sit down here and listen up! I have a job that's perfect for someone with your spirit and braun, but first I gotta ask you some questions." The yardmaster walked around the desk and sat in his seat, and he shuffled the papers on the desk into a neat stack. He looked at James. "Go wait in my office, we'll continue what we were discussing in a moment."

Hearing this, James gave Frank a sour look, and walked inside to climb up the staircase. He soon disappeared up the stairs and Navirez sighed. "Don't mind James, he's a bit frustrated on a new project that's taking a bit of thought. Actually what I need you for is somewhat related, but first things first. I need to know you've got the dedication and the guts to handle this job."
Frank
Civus

Post by Frank »

Upon hearing the extent of the yardmaster's interest, Frank's heart-rate began to increase. I'm going to get a job! Despite the feeling that he was going to crawl out of his own skin, he remained somewhat composed. "I am as dedicated as any man, and I'm willing to work hard; I don't tire easy." Frank grabbed his stomach with his two large hands and looked down. "Personally, I think I have enough guts for three people." He cracked a smile at his own joke, and continued, furrowing his eyebrows to appear serious despite his cheery grin. "What is this job, and what do you need me to do to contribute?" His deep baritone "serious" voice vibrated throughout his body as he spoke. His voice was on the verge of booming, but it wasn't a commanding kind of boom; his voice sounded very comfortable and friendly.

From the sounds of it, this might be a serious task! If pressure is put on me and I deliver, I'll get the best opportunity ever to show what I can do! I suppose that also means that if I do a terrible job I won't be considered again for a long time... Frank put his hands on his knees and leaned back casually, awaiting the yardmaster's answer.
Last edited by Frank on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Well, at the risk of sounding rather frank, I have to say that this is a dangerous job... The risk in it is a bit hefty, and I need to know that you've got the balls to look death in the eye, and that you aren't the type of spirit to back down. You see, my first-mate James, he may act tough, but he's as cowardly as they get, and I'm not so sure I can count on him to serve my needs. Significant fame and rewards await the first mate of this particular crew, but so does a fair amount of danger." He pulled a dagger out from under his desk and swung it down on the desk, chopping a model ship in half. After doing this he let several flickers pass in awkward silence, to gauge Frank's reaction.

"Knowing that there is a risk, do you still think you've got what it takes?" He sheathed his dagger in a rather strange place- up his sleeve. He leaned back in his chair and placed his feet on the desk. "Of course, the most dangerous of jobs can be handled in such a fashion that almost no real danger is present."
Frank
Civus

Post by Frank »

Frank watched the orc speak, maintaining his smile with dripping excitement, keeping his eyebrow furrowed. This is way bigger than anything I'd imagined! He listened attentively, and his smile spread as Navirez mentioned the rewards the "first mate" await, assuming that his job was way loftier than what he'd have expected. When Navirez swung the dagger, his smile disappeared, but he didn't jump. His face grew more serious as he waited to see where the orc was going with this.

"Knowing that there is a risk, do you still think you've got what it takes?"

Frank leaned forward, his head reaching approximately the yardmaster's standing height and he looked puzzled. "I have to admit, due to my natural strength and constitution, I've never really felt scared. I've fallen from ships I've helped work on due to my reckless behavior, and even when I land on my back- pain aside- injuries have seldom hindered me. Angry people always back down after I stand up, and I think it's safe to say I'm stronger than your average man." Frank smiled again. "My father may not have convinced me to be a warrior, but he has convinced me that there is no such thing as fear. I've never worn armor, but I'm thick skinned." Frank then proceeded to punch himself in the bicep extremely hard, showing no signs of pain, but feeling a slight wave go throughout his bones.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Navirez raised an eyebrow at Frank's thunderous hand slap. "Well, in that case, consider yourself hired. You'll be working for James. James will be captaining this envoy, and he'll give you the details." The orc smiled, and his teeth were noticabley sharp compared to most folks. "He's not frightfully social, so you'll be delivering his commands to the crew. It's not so hard, just make sure to be polite about it." Navirez opened a drawer in his desk and started shuffling around, the sounds of metal objects clinking together could be heard as he continued.

"I heard that you like to juggle in your spare time. Well if you have a fancy for throwing things around, you might want to take these." He pulled out of his drawer a large belt, that had six sheathed stilettos in it. "You might be needing some way to defend yourself eventually, so do yourself a favor and practice playing with these here toys." Navirez slid the belt of knives across the desk, over toward Frank. "They're much too big for me to use. Hell they're like short swords to a fella like me, but I'm sure they're just right for a hulk like yourself." He cackled a bit, and slid his drawer shut.

"Anyway, James'll relay your assignments to you. I'm damn busy so I'm afraid we're almost done here. Any questions?"
Frank
Civus

Post by Frank »

Frank smiled. He had been nervous about his hire, but now he was starting to feel slightly composed about it. He was a giant after all, he told himself, and he'd be very useful. These thoughts weren't so much arrogance as they were necessities to keep him from bursting into laughter and joy. A ferocious giant like him would scarcely seem intimidating if he was acting like a human ten year old.

He looked at the six blades that Navirez handed him. I've thrown hammers before, and even axes, but never blades! I suppose it would be interesting to try it. He picked up the belt and strung it through his utility belt, tying around his massive waist above it on the left side, and letting the side with the blades hang below on the right. Frank took a deep breath, looked up at the ceiling for a second, and then looked back and Navirez and said: "Only one question. Why did you decide to hire me without reviewing my dinghy yet... Has a review for it already been processed? I didn't expect things to move this efficiently."
Last edited by Frank on Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Your canoe has already been reviewed and tested this morning. Truth betold, your skills as a mechanic are just a bonus to your purpose in this envoy. Now if you would be so kind, James will brief you on your first task."

At that point a set of hairy knuckles laid down on Frank's shoulder. "You can be comin' with me, boy." James' pipe was still unlit, but it hung out of his mouth, dipping every time he opened his mouth to speak. "I got yer first job for ya' if you think you're ready. You're supervisor has replaced you with two new recruits -gnomes of all folks- so you don't have to worry about returning to your shift." He spent about ten flickers clearing his throat with a nasty smokers' cough. "You be workin' for me now, Frank."
Frank
Civus

Post by Frank »

Wow things move quickly here! I wonder what my new job is! Frank turned to face his new instructor, looking straight ahead of him (above James' head) to avoid insulting the man by looking down at him. "I shall accept my new job with open arms," he said, trying not to be too enthusiastic. If my skills are just a bonus, what do they want from me? I'm not that good at much else. I suppose I'll just have to find out. He ran his hand along the swords that Navirez had given him. Whatever my new job is, I have a feeling my father and mother are going to like it. I guess I can't escape the brutish nature of my blood.
Last edited by Frank on Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Good, your first assignment is to find someone to teach you how to fight. Unlike the gracious master Navirez, I don't really think tossing a few toys around is an effective self defense. I suggest you look for someone in-town who's itching to battle, and spar with them a bit. I've seen my fair share o' half-giants, and let me tell ya. Ya ain't the most hard-bitten warrior these eyes have gazed upon." James blew into his pipe, and soapy bubbles proceeded to flow out of them.

"You can practice chuckin' your darts or whatever in the back. There's a wooden wall that we don't use 'cause the new building is stone. Maybe you could carve a makeshift target and see if you can even hit the wall bladeside first."
Frank
Civus

Post by Frank »

Frank saluted the man and began walking toward the door, but then he turned around. "Where would I find someone itching to fight? I don't know much about any sparring community, and I don't much feeling like killing anyone or getting arrested." His face lit up, clearly expressing that he'd thought of something. The Broken Blade Arena! My father fought in there once and told me it was a real rush! That's where I'll go! "Never mind, Mister James, I know just where to go! He turned out the door and walked around to find the wooden wall. "I could use some target practice before I go stirring anything up."

He put his hand through a crack in the wall and ripped out a plank, and laid it in front of him. His massive arm didn't even flex as it tore the wood away like it was meat off a bone. This will make a nice makeshift target. He took out a hatchet and hacked off the excess wood, leaving a semi-perfect square in front of him. He then proceeded to cut off the corners so he had an octogon. "That's close enough to a circle." He took out a piece of twine and laid it in a circle about two inches in from the edge, and then ran his knife along the string to carve out a line. One. He then repeated the procedure two inches in from that, and continued to do so until he had four target areas. "That will do just fine, now I just have to hang it up."

He took four nails out of his tool-belt and picked up one of his smaller hammers and pinned the nails into the wood, one stroke per nail. "All finished," he said, grinning at his little creation. Taking ten steps backward, he raised a throwing axe to his ear, and then straightened his arm as fast as he could. Upon the release of the axe, he left his fingers pointing at the center of the target. Come on, blade first!
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

James grunted and went back inside, leaving Frank to do his business. "Don't get yourself killed, meathead." He said right as he closed the door.

Frank met with a measure of success crafting this target. Though it was sloppy and makeshift, it did resemble a target and look like it could serve the purpose for which he needed it. As he threw the axe, it sailed directly toward the target, but it spun clumsily and it whacked the target handlefirst. It did so with great force, but was an amateur shot, at best. The throwaxe fell to the ground and stuck in the ground blade-first.
Frank
Civus

Post by Frank »

Rats... Frank picked up the throwing axe and tried throwing it again, but couldn't seem to figure out how to strike blade-first. Maybe someone can show me what I'm doing wrong... After a half-mark of throwing axes, he got frustrated. "You know what, I think I have a better way." Frank picked up one of his bigger hammers, the head of the hammer about half as big as a human head, and the handle about fifteen inches long. He held it at the base, and swung it at the target as hard as he could. Doesn't matter which side hits now... This time he lowered the torque of his throwing arm, making it more of a forward lunge with his arm than a swing, attempting to lower the airborne revolving speed of the hammer.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Frank found some success in his axe-throwing. He was better than the average joe, but he missed now and then, and about one in five times the axe would slice into the wood with a satisfying shunk!

When he threw the hammer, it flew fast and slowly it rotated until the handle slapped the board. If he tried to maximize the rotation, the head of the hammer would possibly have more force behind the impact...
Frank
Civus

Post by Frank »

Hmm, even when I reduce the rotation I still can't control when it hits. I have to talk to someone that knows more about this before I can figure this out. Frank picked up another hammer, this about two inches shorter than the other, and gave it a good chuck. He held his wrist back a little longer before the throw this time. "Come on, bull's eye!"

It didn't occur to Frank that the material his hammer was made out of was a lot stronger than the cracked battered wood his target and wall were made out of. He didn't even try to imagine how loud it was on the other side, or how many hits it would take. Why does it keep hitting handle first, the head is so much heavier? I figured throwing a hammer would be almost guaranteed to hit head-first! No one ever explained the laws of inertia to Frank, but his mind was scraping a similar idea. Perhaps if he somehow became familiar with the moment of inertia, he'd learn how to spin at the right speed to hit head-first.
Last edited by Frank on Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

The next hammer that he threw did in fact smack the target headfirst. It was a with a loud crunch that the hammer-head smashed through the center of the target. It remained in place, and splinters shot out in all directions.
Frank
Civus

Post by Frank »

One more... Frank was happy with his accomplishment, and he was prepared to practice mastering the throwing rotation. For now, he was too excited about his job to hang around for too long. He picked up another one of his hammers and threw it at the target extremely hard. This time he flicked his wrist so it would spin around faster than any of his previous throws. He watched it spin like a shuriken, flying at the target with high anticipation. Hope that doesn't smash my other hammer.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Frank's hammer made a whirring sound as it quickly spun through the air. A thundering smash was heard as it shattered a massive hole clean through the wall. Chunks of wood flew everywhere, and the hammer that was suspended in the wall fell to the ground. On the other side of the wall, the flying hammer clanged against the stone building that was Navirez's office-space. There were bits of wood all over the ground, and workers began to stare at the wall, wondering if Frank had been ordered to deconstruct it today.
Frank
Civus

Post by Frank »

Score! Job well done! Now I can head to the Broken Blade Arena! Frank picked up his hammers and he glanced at the workers that were staring at him. Hm... I guess I may as well finish what I started. He put one hand on the rim of the wall and one hand inside and pulled his arms toward him as hard as he could.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Frank's beastly half-giant strength, and the weak tattered wood resulted in the crashing down of the entire wall. Frank may not have thought about what would happen after he tugged the wall down, but regardless, as the wall fell down towards him, the hole went right around him and once it crashed to the ground it was just a circle around his feet.

...Frank might be in a little bit of pain, the wall landed on his feet.

OOC: You mentioned heading to the Arena. Think we're ready to wrap this up?
Frank
Civus

Post by Frank »

Frank winced when the wood crashed on his feet, but he remained calm and stepped over it. About time to head to the Arena. He then ran out of the Waterworks and to the Arena

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt Archive”