Preparing for an Expedition (Jygust 30:mTT OPEN)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Mikail
Civus

Preparing for an Expedition (Jygust 30:mTT OPEN)

Post by Mikail »

Mikail clutched the two books under his arm tightly as he entered the Avenue of Trade for only the second time since he'd come to King's Court, and the first time since he came back from the previous journey.

The nexus, the hub; the focal point of trade in the Western Kingdom focused here. Faces from all over the world intermingled in this place. Lives, hopes, dreams; it all flowed as fluidly as the bustling throng of bodies could carry them. Here the people flowed like water, filling every crevice, boiling over every stand. Each looking for something in the hopes that it might be found.

Space along the Avenue in Kings Court was expensive, for it was that road, that single hundred-yard stretch of earthen pack that has made this quarter so famous. Competition between dealers tended to be brutal, if not deadly. Street thugs hide in every crack, and pickpockets from the Poor Quarter wait for the right opportunity. The unguarded never last long in this place. But it was the way of business in the kingdom, as it always had been here.

The ground was sodden hard beneath the tireless trample of thousands of feet. No face was too unusual for this place, especially for the merchants who have seen it all. These men are masters of diplomacy. Storefronts several homes in size lean over the broad color-speckled river of bustling throng within it. One must shout if they wish to be heard; but being heard will mean the attention of thousands.

Long slender banners of gold, crimson, silver and white twirled over the heads of the people within, each longer than the one before it. The Merchants changed them daily; always planning one that will better catch the eye of a passerby. The storefronts are pointed like triangles towards the center of the street. When viewed from above, it seems as if huge jaws of teeth are closing in over the flow of people traveling within.

Shops remained opened and those souls who chose to ignore the current state of King's Court continued their day to day business.

Under his arms were two books: A Cookbook and a list of Alchemical Reagents. There weren't actually many instructions in the latter at all, it was more of an encyclopedia of what different herbs, powders, oils and fluids did individually. The rest he'd have to find out on his own. Mikail had learned to make a few potions by exploring different combinations based on mundane properties of ingredients, but he usually failed. This book would hopefully help him conduct more organized experiments, and would help him find a lot more possibilities.

Haikan had given Mikail 5 crowns from their funds with which to buy herbs, for he knew that making potions for a regiment of soldiers is very different than just experimenting in a lab. He had allotted a lot more for food, but the bulk of the food had already been purchased and stored. All Mikail had to do was purchase a few spices and he'd be set, though he intended on finding something special to feed Jezara (he'd grown somewhat attached to the horse, and he felt bad that he didn't take it on the first venture). He knew where to buy alchemical supplies and he knew where to buy spices. He did not want to have to search for a place to buy anything else because he was scared to even look in stalls where people were standing.

He shoved through the thick crowd of people, his hand tightly on his wallet concealed in his jerkin, and his other arm firmly gripping his books. He didn't bring his pack here because he was sure it'd be stolen. He meandered along until he saw the herbalist's shop. He stopped as people were still shoving by him, and slowly moved toward the stand. The air was bothering him, because the ground was so tightly packed by so many feet, and it didn't absorb water well. The mass of people kept the wind from moving the warm air off of the wet ground, and so although the weather was pleasant in the alleys, Mikail was not enjoying himself here. Finally, he touched a hand down on the stall. Before he made his purchase, he was supposed to consult Sando about his purchase, because he was the one with the most business experience. He didn't want to spend money frivolously. I wonder if he'll be able to find me in this mess. I'm sure he can imagine that this is where I'd go.
Sando Haymaker
Civus

Post by Sando Haymaker »

"Find him" he did. Nearly crawling his way through the thighs and knees which meant to spell his undoing, Sando made his way towards the company cook and fellow junior partner of their venture. Thinking back to his own first day in the city, Sando smiled. He had been so afraid of all these strange people. He remembered how he had gripped his work knife tightly and stuck it into his pocket... how he had became another knife in the crowd.

Approaching the man from behind, he reached up, placing a hand on his shoulder while speaking, "Hello to you this tradetides, Mister Mikail. I trust you are preparing for our journey in the mornings?"

The halfling attempted to nimbly dodge any passersby who would carelessly threaten to knock him onto his rear end by virtue of sheer apathy while looking up into the eyes of the mixed man before him.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

"Hello to you this tradetides, Mister Mikail. I trust you are preparing for our journey in the mornings?"

Mikail jumped as the hand touched his shoulder. He turned around and sighed. "It's only you," Mikail spoke but did not hear his own words. It's far too loud here. I'm going to have to speak up. Mikail was a soft-spoken individual, so loud places like this were not his bread and butter. He spoke up again, louder this time. "Hello, master Haymaker. Would you mind looking over these numbers for me?"

Mikail opened the book, which had a piece of parchment inside with a lot of things scribbled down. The following words were circled:

Adrue
Agrimonia
Aloe Vera
Althea
Arnica
Camomille (Herb)
Chives
Ginseng
Coca Leaves
Kalmoes
Sage
Pestle & Mortar
Alder
Origanum Majorana
Valeriana Officinalis
Bistort root
Peppermint
Garlic
Basil
Anise
White Mist
Millet

"I don't know if they'll have all of those, but many of those can be used without side effects, and until I get better at alchemy, they might be helpful. The last one is for Jezara. I've been told that horses really like to eat millet. I'm estimating this in its entirety would cost approximately 3 crowns. I think White mist might not be a legitimately sold item, so perhaps I should withold that request."
Last edited by Mikail on Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sando Haymaker
Civus

Post by Sando Haymaker »

Sando sniffed disparagingly at the long list and then again at the mention of the estimated cost. He managed, however difficult it was, to hold his tongue. He knew Mikail needed supplies and he also had reason to trust the man with the capital which had been allotted to him by the senior partner. A business relies on profit to be successful. Sando knew that every banner spent on the way out was just robbing them of a banner upon their return trip.

"This all lookings well and good, Mikail," he said in a louder-than-usual voice to overcome the din in which they were surrounded. "However, I wonder if all the needed goods will be availables here? It should seems that we will needing to search out a... herbalist of sorts. And perhaps we can work on that price a bit, eh?" He smiled as he spoke the last words, confident in his ability to haggle any old herbalist out of a store. The choppy human speech was probably difficult to decipher through the crowd, but the little halfling tried his hardest to make it coherent.

After speaking, the halfling began to look around the area in search of a vendor who was not otherwise occupied with customers from whom the duo may be able to obtain advice as to where the supplies could be found.
Last edited by Sando Haymaker on Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail found it hard to understand a few of the little man's words, but he definitely heard the last part.

"Anything you can do to save coin would be greatly appreciated, and I think you're right about the herbalist. There are a lot of spices here and a few herbs, but I guarantee they won't have everything. Do you know where we can go?" Mikail was uncomfortable yelling over the crowd, but it started coming more easily once he started to get excited. Sando really knows what he's doing. I'm glad I decided to have him look this over.
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

The market was bustling with activity. Everywhere one looked there were people at stalls selling or buying, but mostly, there was haggling. These were tough times, and every person in King's Court realized (at some point or another) that they couldn't afford what they needed to survive. Thus, they found the weakest link in their chain and did the best they could to get it cheaper.

Beside that, there was a religious sermon going on in the heart of the avenue. A stock clergy man, dressed in white and gray robes, stood on a box of some manner and announced that the time was at hand and that the Mother Church needed her children to aid them in these tough times so that Dominicus could, in turn, aid them out of this desolate waste. His voice was clear and cut through the crowd like a hot knife. "We shall persevere!" He began. "The One shall save us all - we've ousted the heretics and once more King's Court can be the beacon of salvation in this dark world... Come together, children, visit your church and pray for our future..."

As for available vendors, there were none. Everyone was in the business of being in business, and very busy at it. There was the chance of wandering around, in hopes of finding a suitable store, or butting into an ongoing conversation to question where they should go.

A few members of the Kingstone Guards hung about in their royal blue uniforms at the corner where Sando and Mikail stood talking - watching the scene with apprehension. "It's a bitch of a morning, man. How did we get stuck on this? -I'd rather be back in the castle, not among these lot," he huffed to his comrad dispassionately.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Sando Haymaker
Civus

Post by Sando Haymaker »

Seeing no obvious opportunity to have their question answered, Sando looked up towards Mikail and posed to him an inquiry in the loudest voice he could muster without yelling, "It's lookings like we are going to have to wandering a while. Perhaps you would like to take the leads?"

The halfling figured that the taller man would be more suited for cutting through the crowd, allowing Sando to slip in behind his created openings.

Sandy had shopped this area in the previous months- mostly while preparing for their last expedition. Unfortunately he'd always been searching out ledgers and inks... quills and the like. He knew where he could find such clerical items. Herbs? He was at a total loss.

After speaking to Mikail, he turned his attention momentarily to the guardsmen nearby as he waited for a response.

Strange... to see the palace guard outside of the palace while on-duty.

And strange times these were indeed. It seemed that every day more and more things just did not add up around the city. Sando, for one, was glad to be leaving bright and early on the following morning. Something big was happening, and they had a lot of money tied up in this project to not have it launch successfully.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail became increasingly frusterated at his inability to gain the attention of any of the merchants. He was also increasingly distracted by the loud barking of the people around him, particularly the Dominican on the soap box. If only that zealot would stop flapping his gums... Heretic? Speak for yourself, asshole. Anyone that helps the people of Dominicus is a heretic. If only the Mother Church had fiercer support. The mad god isn't going to help anyone but himself and his own. Normally the noise of a fool shouting only annoyed Mikail, but this was infuriating him. It's not my business, if I even give him a funny look I'll likely have my face smashed in. My only choice is to keep moving. Mikail grasped his wrist and noticed that his heart was pounding, not out of exhaustion or fear, but of sheer anxiety. He took a deep breath, closed his eyes and tried his hardest to ignore the voices around him. Since he couldn't even hear his own footsteps, he just dismissed everything he heard as white noise as he perused the stalls.

"Perhaps you would like to take the leads"

Mikail was even more frusterated that Sando needed him to lead him through the mass. Rats... I feel just as lost as I did before he came here. At least he approved my budget...

"Alright, lets move." Mikail began sifting through the crowd looking for the familiar sight of an herbalist's stand. He knew he wouldn't get their attention right away, but for now he was simply looking to find the sight of greenery in a stall.
Last edited by Mikail on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Sifting through the crowd, Sando was able to get through merely by staying close to his new friend. If it weren't for that, he'd likely have been lost to knees and elbows. Thankfully, for him, he wasn't alone. Mikail, on the other hand, found it wasn't as difficult to get through as he might've imagined. People were quick to get out of the way. No one had any reason to start trouble.

The stands that they passed by were covered in meager displays of foodstuffs. The city was in great need of what the caravan would soon supply. Much of the vegetables on the tables were rotten, or close to it, and many of the natives were walking away from the vendors with saddened expressions and empty hands. None of the shops seemed to specialize in the sorts of things they were looking for.
Wiki-wowzers! wrote:A small shop rested on the corner of a regular street of King's Court. It was within the trade district but somewhat removed from the hassles of the Avenue of Trade's loud sellers and bright tapestries. The sign outside the seemingly small store was once painted meticulously in light pink paint on a black piece of salvaged drift wood. Now, however, the subtle pink colour had faded and the sign was covered in grime. It was just possible to make out that the shop had once been called – The Rose Candle. Many locals could still recall the pungent aromas that had drifted out from dark interiors of the shop when the door was opened by one of its many customers. However, the shop had been neglected since the death of its former adheil owner. Now, it appeared forlorn - disused and unloved, slowly decaying as time wearied its once cheery facade.
A young woman in a blue dress had her nose pressed against the glass of the sad little shop on the opposite side of the road they walked on. From Sando's perspective there was a fine view of Mikail's bottom, but from where Mikail stood he was able to get a good vantage point of bottles and other apothecary supplies within the dirtied panes, though the shop appeared long-since closed.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail gazed across the street and saw a worn-out looking shack, though it looked like the one he was looking for. Great... Just figures the one thing I need has been decaying for years. Maybe this young woman knows something about what I'm looking for; she clearly has an interest in the matter.

Mikail crossed the street, making sure he didn't wander too far from his halfling friend. He slowly approached the woman and spoke as quietly as he could without being inaudible to the woman. They were a little distance away from the bigger crowd, but sometimes he forgot humans couldn't hear as well as he, so he tried to make up for that. As they parted from the crowd, he let Sando walk up to his side so he could see what was going on. "I beg your pardon, but do you know anything of this place? I'm a learning apothecary in dire need of supply." Should she turn around, he was prepared to make eye contact with her.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

With long brunette braids on either side of her head she could've passed for a teen, particularly from behind, but as the girl turned to give a look to Mikail, it was the shape of her face and the curve of her body that set her apart as a woman, close to Mikail in age, though just a bit taller than he. She met his gaze strongly with dark brown orbs. "You 'ave eyes like the bay of Roque," she said while hers flicked between his. A boastful, brave smile broke over her face. "Diana." The brunette stuck out a hand. "And I've as much of an idea o'er this place as you do." She was barefoot, but smelled like fancy soap if Mikail took her up on the handshake and became close enough to smell her perfumy aroma.

Not having been introduced to Sando so far, she didn't pay him much mind, and ordered her comments to the achadhiel who proposed the initial query.

Letting go of his hand, she pointed upward at the decaying sign. "Looks like tis bin pretty uncared for..." She gave a look into the interior again. Inside, bottles lined the walls on shelves, and all of the available surfaces were covered in candles and incenses. Rubbing a hand over the dirty glass pane, she got no results in clearing it at all. "Could be that they were kicked outta 'ere, ya know? Fer being dirty pagans or somesuch," she had the vernacular akin to a pirate, and upon closer inspection bruises and cuts could be seen around her thin wrists and even ankles. She also had a mighty bruise forming on her jaw, as if she'd taken a mean right-hook. "What sort of fings are you lookin' fer, hennyway?"
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail was confused by her friendly approach. He shook her hand and noticed her delicate smell. She seems happy for someone as beaten as she is.

"My name is Mikail. I need a few herbs for a few new alchemical formulas in this book. There isn't much, but enough for me to learn." He pulled out his list and waved it before her. I don't see any harm in showing her, there's no reason to hide my desired merchandise. Besides, there's nothing fishy about this girl. In fact, she smells quite delightful- that's rare in these parts. "I'm in charge of cooking a few things too, and I need to buy the following spices." He showed her the other side of the list. "I suppose there's no point in showing this to you if you're lost though." He looked away for a second, and then turned back to her.

"What business brings you to this decrepit window?"
Last edited by Mikail on Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Diana scanned over the list, and the second to last item on the herb catalog caught her attention. "White mist, eh?" She quirked an eyebrow. "Just a bit of advice - you might not wanna be goin' and showin this off ta everyone ya see, here?" Giving a look over to the blue clad Kingstone Guard the pirate wench nodded expressively.

"Maybe I can help you, though," she said while tapping an index finger over pouty lips. "I was hoping to empty my pockets and get some banner for the effort. Might have something you're interested, fella - but it's not for open streets like this." Whistling a sea shanty the brunette started to walk down an alley way beside the Rose Candle, her hips swaying in time to the tune. It was a complicated ditty and expressed her capabilities the wind-based talent. She shot a look over her shoulder and tried to catch Mikail's eye and lead him to follow. Whether or not he did was entirely up to him.

The pirate, meanwhile, leaned against the cool stone-work exterior of the abandoned apothecary supply store and snaked a lithe hand between her breasts to pull out a small parcel which she'd stashed there. Thank you, again, Commander... She continued to whistle - leading down the alley and further to the relative privacy of a courtyard which was once an herbal garden, now overgrown.
Sando Haymaker
Civus

Post by Sando Haymaker »

"I am not certains that this... woman is the type of herbalist we are lookings for, Mikail," Sando warned with a look of concern crossing his blunt and tired face.

While he greatly enjoyed remaining on his feet and not being smashed to the ground accordion-style, Sando was going to have to take his chances should Mikail choose to follow the woman.

"It is not being in my nature to converse with those who look so weary around the authorities, friend. Make your choice as you will, but do not expect my presence. We could always ask the guardsman where we could findings the kind of shop we need."

While promoting the suggestion, Sando looked up to where the woman had previously glanced, making sure the solider had not yet moved away from his position.

The last thing we need is trouble at this point. By Her will, we shall move out on the morningtide. No... No trouble is not something we need.

The cautious halfling peered up at his companion, hoping he would have similar feelings as his own but expecting that perhaps he would not.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail took a deep breath. It looks like I'm going to have to stick my neck out here. I don't know if I need White Mist, but it'd be nice to have, considering its great ability to rouse those who take it, it could make for a good consciousness restoration potion... yet the illicit nature of the drug might not be worth it. Mikail watched after the girl, slowly evaluating her as she danced around. She just plain doesn't give a damn. This won't do... but concussions and other injuries causing lapse of consciousness are bound to happen... I have to be prepared.

He grit his teeth and handed the piece of paper to Sando, ripping off the bottom where it said White Mist. Mikail leaned in very close and whispered so no one else could hear. "Take this to the guard and ask him where such things can be found. Here are four crowns, that should be enough. This list contains all of the mundane herbs that can be used for medicinal purposes while I'm still learning, but none of them can even almost do what I'm hoping this herb is capable of when mixed with the right reagents." He then straightened up his back and let his eyes fall back on the girl. Mikail swallowed hard, and began stepping meekly after her, deep in thought over the matter. The integrity of our company might be at risk... Am I being selfish by wanting so badly to explore the science of alchemy? What would Haikan say? What would Sebastian say? I can always back out.... As he was thinking his feet answered the question for him. The girls flirtatious demeanor annoyed Mikail, but she could help him, so he followed.
Last edited by Mikail on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sando Haymaker
Civus

Post by Sando Haymaker »

"That I can do. Be careful, Master Mikail. I shall see you on the eveningtide at the Laughing King. See to it that you arrives in one piece."

The halfling took the list and folded it neatly, sliding it into his breast pocket before scurrying back out to the busy portion of the avenue, away from the dealings at hand.

Sando felt no ill-regard for the achadhiel as he left. He simply did not agree that the burden of risk was worth the results. This, however, may have been why Sando was the bookkeeper and Mikail, the alchemist. He hoped sincerely for the man's success.

Fertile plains be dried barren should that man get himself in trouble. I only hope I will not regret my decision to leave him.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

As Mikail came around the corner of the building he was met with a short alley, easily traversed, and then a small court yard surrounded by a stone wall a few heads taller than himself overwhich he couldn't see. The sun shone brightly directly overhead, but Diana was beneath an overhang from the roof. "I haven't got the white mist," she began, but held out a leather pouch. "But I've got opium. It'll do the trick for keepin' a guy from hurtin' when he ought, and I'll part with it for some lance."

The young woman scratched at her ear and watched the achadhiel closely. Do it, take it. Diana's stomach rumbled monsterously such that Mikail at his close distance could hear it. Giving an embarassed lopsided grin she placed a hand on her midsection. "Scuse me," she added.

-=-=-

Sando found his way through the crowd relatively easy. People mostly got out of the way of the small man they confused for a well-fed child. Their business was much concerned with the day-to-day and included the price of grain and the poor tasting water. "Saw a fountain running black, I did - well.. maybe not black! But it wasn't the right color of our water, for sure!" An excitable washmaid said over a basket of clothes she was preparing to wash. Others claimed similarly.

OOC: Up to you to split this off to a side-thread looking for herbs!

-=-=-

"So what do you think?" Diana asked. "You're not going to find a better deal. You're a decent fella, you don't want to go out there asking the guys who have what you were looking for." Her response was more sobered, and less given to the flair of her accent, as if she were just a girl from the Downs after all. Bloody Banner Diana's thin brown eye brows raised emphatically and thin fingers knotted together infront of her too-baggy blue dress. Please... please, please!
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail followed without saying a word, looking around at his interesting surroundings. He felt a peculiar vibe from her, like she wasn't being real; like her charming demeanor was masking something. The girl stopped and offered him a bag.
"I've got opium. It'll do the trick for keepin' a guy from hurtin' when he ought, and I'll part with it for some lance."

Rats... She doesn't have what I need... This won't be any good, I don't know anything about opium, and this book says nothing about it. I can't stick my neck out for something that I can't use. Yet, something is strange about this girl... Mikail opened his mouth and was just about to explain why the opium was no good when he was interrupted by a loud gurgle in her stomach. His mouth hung open for a flicker, and then he closed his eyes and hung his head. Damn, she's one of those... I can't... "I'll..." He opened his eyes and looked into hers. He put two lance in her hands and slowly started stepping back, and began to turn and walk away. You did the right thing. It's better to let a man get hurt by his own choice and have to recover the hard way than for a young girl to starve for reasons she can't control. Father would laugh at me now, handing out more money than I'd ever seen for the first twenty years of my life.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Diana's large brown eyes went between Mikail's eyes, again marvelling at their color for the briefest flicker as he placed the pair of lance into her hand where the parcel remained. When her vision landed on her hand, she felt a knot in the center of her stomach. She'd never intended this to be her life. What had happened to her in the past few weeks? "Don't you pity me," she said while shifting her gaze upward again, a fierce sort of desperation lighting in her eyes. Diana wanted this money, but she couldn't take it on principle. Her eyes were welling with unshed tears and the sinews of her jaw worked visibly beneath her square jaw.

Mikail was being extremely generous. When Diana had left Michel's house she'd anticipated being in the capital of King's Court, but she'd expected it to be more grand and had found it to be a city full of starving people. With no money in her purse and no way to steal food, she was facing a stark reality of not having much of a choice about finding some way to make money.

There are only a few ways that a young woman, particularly a pretty one, can make money, and it certainly wasn't something the proud pirate could see herself doing. "You think I'm begging?" She asked. "I'm not looking for your hand-outs." Diana took a few short steps forward toward Mikail's retreating form.
Last edited by Ashari on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail turned back to the girl and looked her directly in the eye. "I'm not giving you a hand-out." His voice was still quiet, but now much more stable, supported by the gravity of his words. "You're risking your hide doing this, and you put yourself in danger just making this offer to me. I can't leave you empty handed, but without knowing how opium works, I can't use it for alchemy. You're too kind for this kind of life, I can tell. You could have slit my throat in this alley and taken all my money, especially knowing how much I had after reading the list. You also could have exposed me for someone trying to purchase the even more illegal white mist. You're not like the street urchins and tarts I expected to see here. You're not a street rat."

Mikail put his hand on the parcel. "In sparing my life you've earned my kindness, and by refusing my money you only further prove my point. If you must resort to selling this for profit, that is a completely different matter; a matter that does not concern me." He stood still for a moment, his mind racing. Am I only being so kind to her because I sympathize with the Adheil? No... She is something else, I can tell... Mikail, you have a very weak heart- too soft for your own good. He took his hand back and let it hang by his side, the parcel still in hers. He hung his head for a moment, his red wavy hair blowing over his eyes. He looked back up at her and spoke again. "Tell me, Diana, what are you good at?"
Last edited by Mikail on Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Diana was halted in her steps as Mikail turned to address her again. His reasoning made sense, if a bit serious. She was a young woman, after all, and thus didn't see the danger in anything she was doing. If anything, she was more able to sympathize with his concerns of her slitting his throat - not the other way around.

"Alchemy?" Her head tilted slightly. Magick wasn't something she was familiar with. The brunette's family were farmers - owners of an orchard - and they didn't have much use for the occult. "I thought you were a healer," she said sighing at her own folley.

The achadhiel put his hand over hers, and she thought for a flicker he might take the parcel of drugs afterall, but instead he posed a very interesting question and withdrew his hand. "Well... not alchemy," she smiled. "But I'm good at other things. Tying knots, picking apples," she shrugged. "Pretty ok at pretending to be a pirate, too. Nothing worth much of anything, really. So... you're an alchemist? That's very exciting." Diana dropped her hand to her side as well, holding fast to the coinage.

"And you need white mist to make something, is that how it works?" She looked over the disheveled garden. "You can make things with opium, too. Like by using that sort of carrot grass looking stuff over there," she pointed. "That's poison parsley." More correctly, it was poison hemlock, but it was known by several names. "And if you mix a bit of that with six or sevel leaves of that, and give it to a person - well, they'll wake up dead if you know what I mean." Diana enjoyed plants, she found them to be interesting. "You know.. a whole bunch of the things you're looking for on that list are here, too. You could pay me to help you identify them and then we'd be even."

To Mikail, the overgrown courtyard presented no obvious design aside from there being the semblance of a square in the center which was filled with all manner of plants, including the spotted leafed plant that Diana had already pointed out.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail lightened up after hearing her words, having thought of the perfect idea. He put his hand on her shoulder. "Diana, I am the apothecary for a very important trading caravan. What if I told you I could give you a job as my assistant? You'd be fed and make decent coin, and you might even learn a thing or two. I know a good thing or two about alchemy, but I know nothing of local herblore, and that has been a major setback... that's why I've been relying on this book." He held up the book that he'd been carrying under his other arm and gave it an unpleasant look.

He paused for a second, thinking this through. "That could be your down payment. You'd ride in our caravan and answer to my brother and I. We are well protected by soldiers, and I'll be personally cooking the food, so you know it'll be safe to eat. What do you say, Diana? I'm sure your ability to tie knots could come in handy too, you never know. If you're interested, come to the Laughing King's Tavern tonight. You can meet my brother and the entrepreneur that suggested the venture, Matiel. The halfling that was with me is also involved, he's our business manager if I'm not mistaken. It will be a little crowded but they're a friendly lot, and my brother and I shouldn't be hard to spot with our red hair."
Last edited by Mikail on Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Diana listened to Mikail's invitation with a smile, but by the end of it, her expression gave away her answer even before her words betrayed it via softening eyes and a placating thankful smile. "I'd really love to, but I think I'm going to stick around here for a few days and then head home," she sighed. The wanderlust still tugged at her heartstrings, and the mention of this caravan brought up images of mystical crates, laboring horses and dynamic battles protecting their goods from evil enemies. Perhaps they'll get to fight some goblins! Or defeat a group of rogues! She felt a great sense of jealousy at the very thought of it.

"Iiiih've had a rough few weeks, and I just want to hole up somewhere, and sleep." She smiled, and reached out a hand. "But I'll have a look at this," the girl took the book that he'd been holding from it's aloft position and flipped through it. "Where'd your list go?"

A brow lifted, but she disregarded the question almost as soon as she'd asked it by taking a few steps foward, briskly passing Matiel in favor of squating down to examine a tangled row of some manner of flora, quite uknown to him. "This is basil... How much of each plant were you looking for, anyway?" She leaned forward and put a hand down on the ground as a support to glance back at him. "Because.. I mean.. there is some here, and I don't think they," she jigged her free hand toward the building, "are going to miss it."
Last edited by Ashari on Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail frowned when he realized that there was nothing else he could do, hoping she wasn't just being polite. I guess it is a lot to ask for someone to join a caravan the day before it leaves. Well... at least I can let her help me now, even if Sando is getting our supplies. Mikail leaned down and picked a basil leaf, examining it closely. "To be honest, I'd like as much as possible. Things went very smoothly the first time we ran our route, but we might not be as lucky next time."

Mikail was kind of sad and yet slightly amused as she sped through her own conversation when his lack of input left her hanging. He tried to slow things down a little bit since he was in no rush. For once, he felt like making a friend in a foreign land. For once, he felt like making pleasant conversation with someone he knew he'd never see again. Maybe she wouldn't feel like such a rogue if he was really respectful. "Where is your home if you don't mind me asking?" He began flipping through the book to look for something else he might need, knowing Sando likely had everything covered. She had to feel- no, she had to know she was helping him out.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Break it and smell it," Diana urged as he felt the light green silky leaves. "Crush it between your fingers - sweet smelling isn't it?" The pungent aroma wafted from the disturbed leaf. "Those white flowers, they aren't always on there." She pointed to the spike of small white blooms. "Only in high summer, and if you were cultivating it, it's best to cut those off - makes it grow more," she explained. Rummaging about she realized shortly that she neither had her boots nor her bootknife. Embarassedly she looked around, pushing off the ground in hopes of finding something she could harvest the greenery with.

"Have a knife?" She asked.

At his question the brunette smiled. "Nearby, just outside the city. My family has a farm here. Apple Orchard. It's beautiful, and the apples will be beginning to grow soon.. come fall it's all you can smell. Where're you from?"

After he responded to that first question she had another lined up. "So, where is your caravan going that you are in need of so many herbs?"

Return to “KC Archive”