"No Rest for the Weary" -Jygust 30th Late ET (Open

These estates surrounding the larger cities of the WK include Pax Balthasar, Brie and several other smaller grounds. The barons rule supreme and intent on holding on to their belongings.

Moderators: Vanadius, Morg, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Shylah Boyd
Civus

"No Rest for the Weary" -Jygust 30th Late ET (Open

Post by Shylah Boyd »

When Shylah returned to her shop, she approached that familiar door with a different feeling this time around. In fact, many feelings chased one after another in a huge, never-ending circle. A twinge of sorrow, mixed with apprehension for an uncertain future, and a love for a certain man seemed to deepen with each step that she took.

Taking the key from her pouch, and inserting it into the lock, she turned it slowly until it clicked. As she entered, she knew that Trajan would not be there to greet her. It would be dark and sadly quiet, with that faint aroma of lavender slowly fading away. It would just be Shylah here this eveningtide, and all she could do was to pray that it didn’t last into the morningtide. If it did, then something was wrong. A possible future, she didn't want to think about.

Shutting and locking the door behind her, Shylah fumbled in the darkness as she made her way back towards the fireplace to re-light that warm, inviting glow. Trembling slightly, the small woman grabbed a blanket from a nearby chair and wrapped it around her, before she sat herself into a rocking chair near the fire that slowly sprang to life. The young healer was hungry, but couldn't bring herself to go and make anything in fear of bringing it back up. All of her insides were tied in knots.

If there was ever a time that Shylah had questioned her god’s motives, now was a good time to do so. What game was Dominicus trying to play here? Granting her the love she had been waiting for, and to now be faced with the huge possibility of having him taken away by death all in one night? Surely he wasn’t this cruel, was he? Anger welled up inside the tiny healer as she thought of Dominicus off in the Aether laughing over her misery. Trying to sway her thoughts elsewhere, Shylah spotted the book she had been reading earlier that day on the floor nearby. Scooping it up, she opened it with a sigh and quietly immersed herself in its contents, even if it was going to be a failed attempt to concentrate on other things.
Last edited by Shylah Boyd on Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Healing takes courage, and we all have courage, even if we have to dig a little to find it."
-Tori Amos
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

It was only a few flickers after she had begun reading that Shylah heard a sharp and repeated knocking on her front door. If she opened the door, she would find the priest that she had so recently studied with was standing in her doorway, a rather sour expression on is face. The fellow, a human named Avaratin, had reluctantly tutored Shylah in the rudiments of worshipping Dominicus. He was a rather short-tempered and thin faced individual, clearly devoted to his God.

“I must speak with you in private,” he snapped in a peremptory manner.
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

When the knock at the door came, it sent an unnerving chill down Shylah's spine. Generally, a simple thing such as a person knocking upon the door wouldn’t faze her. However, tonight was different. Tonight, worry and fear for the man she loved clawed at her violently. The feeling along, snaked her stomach into knot after endless knot. Taking in a deep breath, she neatly smoothing out the wrinkles on her dark-blue skirt, and made her way over to the door, opening it slowly. She hadn’t expected to see Avaratin. Especially, tonight. Casting the man a worried stare, the achadhiel woman cleared her throat and opened her door wide to allow the priest inside her humble abode. Something didn’t seem right.

“Avaratin, I must say this is a surprise. Please, come in,” Shylah replied, “Is something wrong?”
Last edited by Shylah Boyd on Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Healing takes courage, and we all have courage, even if we have to dig a little to find it."
-Tori Amos
Guido Cercatoro

Avaratin scowled as he entered the shop. “Indeed, there is something wrong. I must talk to you.”

Once Shylah had closed the door, the priest turned to face her and spoke in a cold, angry voice. “As you know, I have been using a small dwelling as a chapel for services for our faith and instructing those who wish to know more.” Shylah knew this place well, for it was where she herself had received instruction.

“Two marks ago, a group of pagan youths broke into the building. It has been thoroughly ransacked and many symbols and prayer scrolls destroyed.” The priest’s face was now covered in fury. “This is sacrilege.”

“I have prayed to the One and he has instructed me to seek vengeance. I have gathered a small group of the faithful together. Within the refugee camp are a number of tents and shelters used for praying by these heathens. We intend to destroy them. I would have you with us for assistance and to treat any who are injured. It is your duty to do this for your God.” Avaratin’s face was bright red with rage; he clenched and unclenched his hands repeatedly.

“Are you with us?”
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

Appalled by Avaratin’s words, Shylah looked at the priest. Was Dominicus so cruel as to instruct his followers to seek vengeance for something a group of youths did? Indeed those pagan youths did something wrong, but to seek revenge on an entire camp when only a handful committed the dishonorable act was beyond belief to Shylah. A look of concern washed over the healer’s delicate features as she crossed her arms over her chest. She couldn’t imagine using her abilities for something that was downright cruel. Was this her god? Could he be this unjust and cold?

“Avaratin, you have every right to be upset,” Shylah said in a calm, yet firm tone, “However, I think vengeance upon an entire camp is going to extremes. While I agree that what that group did was indeed horrible, I do not think that it gives you or anyone just cause to inflict pain upon those who had nothing to do with it.”

Shaking her head, Shylah sighed, “I’m sorry but I don’t want any part in that, and if the One did indeed instruct you to do this then I don’t want anything to do with him either.”

She wondered how Avaratin would take her response. Either way she didn't care, for now she was starting to see more and more just how cold Dominicus was. Anger boiled within her like never before as she looked the red faced priest dead in the eye. Would the One instruct Avaratin to harm her as well? While silence fell upon Shylah's lips, she waited for the man's response. She knew it wouldn't be good.
Last edited by Shylah Boyd on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Tori Amos
Guido Cercatoro

The Oneist priest could scarcely contain his rage as he listened to Shylah’s words. “You dare to reject the words of your God and his servant?” He stepped closer to Shylah and the healer could feel his hot breath on her face.

“Take care you know what you do,” he whispered in a low voice tinged with menace. “You cannot simply pick and choose which elements of your faith you accept or deny. To reject the One is not something to do lightly. It will have consequences…”

The priest stepped back, pulling his robes closely around his body. “I will give you a second and last chance. Join with us and I will forget your apprehensions. Refuse and you will no longer be welcome in the church. You will join the ranks of these damned pagans.”
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

When Avaratin stepped in ever so close to Shylah’s face, she couldn’t help but tremble slightly. She never thought in a million yahren that she would see this side of the priest. He had always crossed her as a bit snappy, but this was beyond anything she had ever imagined. She knew very well that she couldn’t pick and choose what she agreed and didn’t agree with when it came to a deity, but as the years progressed, Shylah couldn’t help but resent the One is some way or form. Only to see more and more that her resentfulness was indeed justified.

When the priest finally stepped away from her, she took in each and every word he had said before she finally spoke, a tone of irritation hinted in her delicate voice, “Are you threatening me, Avaratin?”

While she didn’t wait for him to respond, Shylah made her way back to the door and opened it, “I have made my decision and now, I suggest that you leave my shop.” Her tone wasn’t in any way cruel, but it suggested that she meant business.
-Tori Amos
Guido Cercatoro

The priest strode quickly to the open door. He paused, turning to glance back to Shylah. “You have made your choice. You must live with it; may the One have mercy on you when the day of accounting comes. ” Avaratin said no more but there was a clear threat in his words.

No sooner had the priest left when two new figures emerged through the open door – Shylah’s trainee Larenis and her brother Sasradil. Both were young achadhiel and had concerned looks on their faces.

“I saw the priest depart,” murmured Larenis; her slight, wispy figure was clothed in simple white dress. “He looked angry. Has something untoward happened here? Is he ill?” The tall, lithe Sasradil stood in the doorway his eyes still fixed on the departing priest.
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

Shylah watched as Avaratin made his way out of her shop, and was relieved to see Larenis and Sasradil approaching. With the priest’s last words Shylah couldn’t help but look down at her hand where earlier that day, she received a rather harsh punishment from the One.

Pulling her sleeve over her hand, Shylah looked up at the siblings and forced a smile, “Yes, he is indeed furious.”

Making her way back over to the hearth, Shylah sat back down in her chair with a sad sigh, “He wanted me to aid those who waged war upon the refugee camp nearby and I declined. However, I fear that I am already involved.”

“I feel a strong urge to send warning to the unsuspecting camp. If I don’t many innocent people may die for the actions of a handful of their people,” as Shylah finished speaking, she turned towards the fire, gazing into it unseeing.

Shylah wondered if she should dare venture out to the camp, especially with the knowledge that somewhere out on the streets, this Laewin and her pet, Trajan had told the healer about earlier, would appear at any given moment. However, she had promised Trajan that she would stay in her shop all the hours of the eveningtide and into the morningtide. If something were to happen to him and she was not here to give proper treatment then she would regret it for the rest of her life. On the other hand, if she didn't get a warning out to the refugee camp she knew that that too would haunt her all of her days.

Looking at Sasradil, Shylah thought about asking him to carry out this task. Could she ask him knowing the potential dangers that were involved? If something were to happen to him, would she ever be able to forgive herself? With all the questions running around in her mind, Shylah started to feel slightly light headed.
-Tori Amos
Guido Cercatoro

Larenis’ face was fraught with concern as she listened to the healer’s words. “There is much unrest in the town. It is dangerous in the streets. Many groups of youths and those I do not recognise are roaming around; and there are many drunks from the festival. I have heard of a number of buildings being attacked. I was worried for you and the shop, so I brought Sasradil here for protection.”

“You must not venture out,” said Sasradil. He too had a grim look on his face. “I will go to the camp if you wish but it will leave you both unprotected. I would prefer to remain …it is up to you.” He directed a questioning look towards Shylah.
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

Shylah turned her attention to Larenis, smiling sadly, “I appreciate your concern. Please, make yourselves comfortable. I have a feeling it is going to be a very long night.”

When Sasradil gave Shylah his opinion about the situation, she nodded her fiery head, for she knew that he was right. However, the achadhiel couldn’t help but feel guilty for possessing valuable information that could save lives locked away, deep inside of her. If that wasn’t bad enough she was already worried about Trajan’s well-being and now she had to worry about the well-being of Larenis, Sasradil and her shop.

“Information must get to those people one way or another,” Shylah replied with a heavy sigh, “However, from everything you have just said, it wouldn’t surprise me if we had customers tonight. Surely, there must be a way to get word to those people.”

A worry line appeared between the achadhiel’s brows as she mulled over her very limited options. Placing her face into her small hands, Shylah wished she could disappear. The stress that the young woman was under tonight was perhaps the most she had ever experienced in her young life. There had to be a solution. There just had to be.

Reluctantly, Shylah removed her hands from her face, wearing an expression of defeat, “For the first time in a long time…..I do not know what I should do.”
-Tori Amos
Guido Cercatoro

Larenis put a comforting arm around Shylah. “We are all feeling the same, healer. This night is bringing trouble, I can sense it.”

Sasradil’s face frowned in concentration and then his face brightened. “I may know where Hubert is tonight; it is not far from here. If you wish I can try to find him and send him here to guard you whilst I go to the camp. If he not there then I will return, for I would not leave you here alone for long.”

As if to confirm his worries, a series of shouts and cries could be heard in the distance.
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

Alarmed by the sounds outside, Shylah came to a stand almost immediately. For the first time in a long time, the young woman wished that she had never left King’s Court. At least there, she had a sense of security. The feeling hung heavily over the achadhiel’s head even more so that Trajan wasn’t around. Who knew what this night would bring. Whatever it was, it tied the woman’s stomach into painful knots. She knew that her services would be needed tonight. Perhaps it would be a chance to train Larenis even more.

Turning her back to the siblings, Shylah bit the nail of her thumb out of a nervous habit and stared into the fire once more. She had to make a decision and she had to make it quickly, “Finding Hubert sounds like a wonderful idea,” she finally said, “but I am concerned for your safety as well Sasradil. If you do not wish to leave, I will not hold it against you. In fact, I thank you for your concern.”

“However,” she continued, now facing the two, “I cannot promise that I will not venture out there. It is my duty to assist those who need it. It would be entirely selfish on my part if I remained within this shop with information that may save the lives of the innocent.”
-Tori Amos
Guido Cercatoro

Sasradil hesitated, clearly unsure how to proceed. Then, with a sigh, he strode to the door. "I will find Hubert, send him to you and then be on my way to the camp."

As he closed the door behind him, his sister muttered a quiet goodbye. "Take care...". The door slammed.

Barely a burn had passed when the shouting outside grew louder. A loud scream pierced the walls of the healer's house. The sound of heavy footsteps passed the front of the shop and then faded away. All was quiet until the sound of moaning could be heard; it appeared to come from directly across the street from the shop.
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

Shylah looked from Larenis and to the door of the shop. Her eyes wide with fear as a feeling of dread rushed over the young woman. Hoping that Larenis’ brother wasn’t harmed, Shylah ran to a nearby wall, where a medium-sized bag of medical supplies hung loosely from a hook. Shaking with fear, Shylah nodded at Larenis, “We have to make sure that whatever just happened outside the shop, that no one is injured. I am particularly worried about Sasradil right about now.”

Knowing that she could never forgive herself if something happened to the young man, and fearing that Larenis never would either, Shylah sighed sadly making her way to the door, “We are needed, Larenis. Are you ready?”

Shylah looked at Larenis, waiting for her reply before she would open the door. It looked to Shylah like now was the time for her trainee to apply all of her skills and knowledge she acquired in the past couple of months. The tiny healer only hoped that she had been a decent teacher. Looking down to the mark on her hand, given to her by Dominicus himself, Shylah’s blood started to boil at the mere thought that whatever had just happened outside, it was very possible that is had something to do with the One.
-Tori Amos
Guido Cercatoro

Larenis gulped and rubbed her hands together nervously before stepping towards the door. “I will accompany you; the moans do not sound like my brother but…” Her face grew pale and she gave Shylah a brief hug.

All was quiet outside apart from an occasional whimpering sound that had now replaced the moans.
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

Smiling weakly at Larenis, Shylah nodded and turned her attention back to the door of the shop as she slung the bag of medical supplies over her shoulder. Cautiously, she twisted the handle and opened the creaky door ever so slowly. Closing her eyes, the achadhiel took in a deep breath and released. Whatever had just happened outside of her shop, Shylah mentally prepared herself for whatever horrors lie before her. The night was deteriorating quite rapidly and she prayed that it wouldn’t get any worse.

"If something happens to me, I want you to run as fast your legs will carry you and get to safety," Shylah whispered, as she reluctantly opened her eyes to see what lie before the young women.
-Tori Amos
Guido Cercatoro

The street outside was dark and quiet. Whoever had been the source of the disturbance has obviously departed. On the far side of the street could be seen the source of the moans. A figure huddled on the floor. From where they stood neither Shylah nor her companion could ascertain the nature of the injured person but it did not have the appearance of Sasradil...
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

Leaning her fiery head out from the doorway, Shylah looked from the left and then to the right. It was almost like everything was normal except for the fact that there was a crumpled figure lying nearby. Squinting to see, she took in a deep breath and made her way for this stranger, whoever he or she was.

Kneeling down beside the figure, Shylah called out softly, “Are you alright? What happened out here? Is there anything my assistant and I can do for you?”

All of the questions that were once in the young woman's mind now came flooding out of her mouth like a broken dam. Turning to look at Larenis, the achadhiel beckoned the young woman over and then returned her attention to what lie in front of her.
-Tori Amos
Guido Cercatoro

The figure on the ground moaned incoherently and did not respond to Shylah’s query. There was a wide gash on the side of his temple from which blood was dripping and he was clearly only partly conscious. He was immediately familiar to the healer, for the wounded man was a young human who had studied with her when she had trained with the priest Avaratin. She knew the youth to be a fervent Oneist.

Tucked into the belt of the wounded man was a wicked-looking and sharp dagger and on the ground to one side was a torn piece of parchment.

Larenis approached and knelt at the moaning man’s side.
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

It took a few flickers before it clicked in Shylah’s head who this man was, although she could not remember his name. A sick feeling washed over the young woman very briefly when she caught sight of the gash upon the man’s head. Whoever did this to the human obviously didn’t care if the man lived or died. She couldn’t understand why if someone were to attack a person like this why they wouldn’t finish the job.

When Shylah caught sight of the dagger tucked into his belt, the young woman thought about taking it away from him just for the mere thought of the incident between Avaratin and herself not too long ago. Not wanting to take any chances, she started to reach for the man’s dagger just after noticing the torn parchment nearby. The parchment could wait. The safety of her apprentice and herself could be on the line.

“Here Larenis,” Shylah began, reaching into her bag with her left hand, pulling out a white cloth and tossing it to the young woman, “Apply pressure to the wound.”
-Tori Amos
Guido Cercatoro

The dagger proved to be easy to extract from the belt and the healer soon had the weapon in her hand. It was no ordinary dagger, for it had an ornate hilt and a blade that looked sharp and well cared for. More of a ceremonial assassin’s dagger than the everyday weapon of a citizen of the town.

Larenis grabbed the cloth and applied pressure to the wound. The parchment remained on the ground close to the outstretched hand of the wounded man. His breathing was slow and low moans escaped from the man’s mouth.

The street remained quiet although the sounds of shouting and drunken revelry could be heard from further afield.
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

Tucking the dagger into her belt, Shylah’s eyes watched Larenis apply pressure to the man’s wound before turning her attention to the torn parchment upon the ground. Arching an eyebrow in curiosity, the young woman reached for the parchment, holding it tightly in her hand. Without looking it over, the healer returned her attention to the wounded man and sighed sadly.

“We are going to have to get the man inside one way or another,” she said to Larenis, listening to the drunken shouts from afar, “Something is off this eveningtide and I am afraid safety is a big concern.”

Shaking her head, Shylah looked down at the man and said, “We are going to try out best to help you.”

“Do you have any strength left so that we may get you inside?”
-Tori Amos
Guido Cercatoro

Shylah retrieved the parchment. It had a few words written on it which were difficult to read clearly in the dark of the street.

The wounded man nodded slowly in reponse to Shylah's words.

"I have a little strength," he muttered quietly.

"If we both support one arm we might get him to his feet," suggested Larenis. She glanced nervously down the street as the sound of drunken laughter came closer.
Guido Cercatoro

(OOC: restored - welcome back shylah)

Return to “The Baron Estates”